NATION

PASSWORD

Tears of a Distant Sun [Closed|ID]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Old Sarthal
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 10, 2012
Ex-Nation

Tears of a Distant Sun [Closed|ID]

Postby Old Sarthal » Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:58 pm

The Ark loomed like a bleak prophecy, painting a stark shadow across the emptiness of space. Since the fall of the Empire hundreds of generations past, Athla had been a dead world, corrupted by the insidious poisons of the Shadows that Danced and shattered in the fires of doom as what remained of the last defenders of the old ways fled, never to return. On that black day the line of the Emperor had ended for eternity, as the All-Father lay dead upon his throne, taken by the Colours of Midnight as yet another pawn in their campaign of slaughter and rage.

Yet hope is a quite a peculiar emotion, for it is the only thing stronger than fear.

The survivors of what came to be called the Sundering settled strange new worlds on the fringes of the galaxy. Over time, truth had become legend, and legend myth. The fall of the Empire had become nothing but a dark fairytale, the Colours strange and terrible monsters suitable for naught but scaring younglings into keeping their devotions. But not all had forgotten. Deep within the archives below the great city, whispers still spoke of reclaiming what was rightfully theirs. The power of the empire, the glory of the ancients, always just out of reach. Until today.

After twenty-seven years in transit, traveling at thousands of times the speed of light by means of the sheer power the massive fissile core of the Ark provided, they had reached the ancestral homeworld of the Sarthantai'd people, a muddy brown dot cast against the harsh light of the twin suns of Genesis, a fitting tomb for the heritage of an entire species.

This is what the Praetor saw, standing resplendent in the reddish-bronze ceremonial armor of his people. The choice of an Ilsintai native for command of such a prestigious mission had been controversial, to be sure, but one did not rise to such rank in the Republican Navy without good reason, and Tel was the finest navigator the fleet had to offer. Yet even still the post weighed heavily upon his shoulders, for he and he alone had been trusted with the true purpose of the expedition. The Council had pacified the people with promises of a new era of expansion, a grand vision of a Republic to span the stars. But, on the eve of his departure, the Prime Legate had come to him. Such a visit was not out of character, perhaps to wish well deserved luck or offer hard-earned advice. But this was different. The Legate seemed disturbed, worried almost, and insisted they leave the estate Tel maintained within the capital, as was required of all officers ranking higher than a Pleios.

After a brief journey in an unmarked speeder, driven by one of the Legate's personal guard, Tel had been quite nervous as to his fate, mulling over the past few weeks for any action that might have been perceived as heretical or unorthodox, and, noticing his distress, his erstwhile host had assured him that was not the purpose of their meeting. Breathing slightly easier as the whispered tales of fallen soldiers being laid to waste by the worst of the Echkos left his thoughts, the Praetor yet wondered why he had been granted the honor of meeting the Prime Legate in person, and in such a manner as this.

Once they arrived, his questions were only multiplied. The Archives were a great center of learning, and other things as well, and as he was lead deeper below he began to consider that all was not as it seemed. As they went further underground, the walls shifted from the smoothed and carved stone of the upper levels to rough hewn rock and then a strange metallic substance, almost as if he walked the halls of a massive ship. Finally, the Legate began to speak once again. At the root of every story, it seems, there is a grain of truth, and the old tale of the Empire and the Shadows was no different. The Empire, and its legacy, were quite real, and if the few artifacts they had managed to uncover beneath the ruins of Old Katafyon, the true purpose of the Archives, were any indication, had possessed almost unimaginable power. Some weeks past, they had uncovered the navigation computer of the old colony ship which the city's foundations rested upon, possessing only a single set of coordinates: Athla, the ancestral homeworld of the Sarthantai'd, and the land of their ancient legends, the capital of the old order. If this world, and the works the Imperials had left behind, could be recovered, they might take up their ancestral mantle and forge a second Empire to span the galaxy and perhaps beyond.

One did not refuse the Legate, and dutifully Tel accepted his task, returning to his home and sinking into an uneasy sleep. That was twenty-seven years ago, to the day. Now, as he gazed upon the world itself, the graveyard of untold billions, he wondered.

What had they left behind?
Economic Left/Right: -0.62
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.59
19:49 AzuraI piss excellence.

Yortini Systems wrote:God, yes, yes!
Soroi Athlai [FT]
Sarthasian Republics [MT]
Proud Member of FT-Bravo Roleplay Group
I may be a schemer, but I'm not the only one.

Generation 31 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

Yortini Systems
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 13, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yortini Systems » Mon Sep 23, 2013 1:50 pm

There was something in the void between worlds. Neither an asteroid, nor comet, it was something else. It moved with such confidence that it could be no stone, it turned, it navigated, it seemed to be traversing towards Ethlan. The original discovery of the visitor was a surprise, appearing without a trace like some haunting apparition. The discovery rippled through the order, it was an enigma, a puzzle asking to be solved. A small group of minds, led by Ezekiel of Ynsez, a notable astrophysicist, was formed to labor over the question as to what the origin of the object was.

Ezekiel studied the newest reports, the object was nearing. It was now obvious its destination was Ethlan, it was nearing the field of influence and would soon pass by so close that the gravitational pull of the dead world would clutch it. There was something eerie about this prediction. Ezekiel pulled a copy of the Book of Truths from the shelf that sat opposite to him. The tome was old, and smelled of must. Ezekiel rifled through the pages before finding the section he wanted.

"Strange for a scientist of your background to burden himself with the laborious language of the scriptures." Jaazaniah sat across from Ezekiel, studying him. Ezekiel and Jaazaniah history was a controversial subject, but it is generally accepted that the two are bitter rivals.

Ezekiel glanced up at the man. "Here, listen to this." Ezekiel began reading from the book, his words echoing throughout the room in the old tongue of the creators "The Truth of Oh-Sevin-Fore, chapter four, verse six: And so, in the times of tomorrow, suddenly the creators shall return. Their reunion shall be sudden, and their arrival will be unmarked, showing only an unnamed object on approach to the holy lands."

"And?" Jaazaniah asked inquisitively.

"And, don't you think it's a bit peculiar how similar the scriptures are to this object. Unnamed object, approach to the holy lands, their reunion shall be sudden?"

"So, you'll have me believe that this anomalous object is marks the return of the creators? I thought you didn't even believe in them."

"I don't, but it is curious how Oh-Sevin-Fore's writings match so easily with the object."

Jacob, an astronomer, rolled his eyes in disbelief "I can't believe the great Ezekiel is quoting the scriptures, what's next? Are you going to walk around in linen robes and chant in Holy Speak?

"I would appreciate it if you didn't take this so lightly. Whatever the object is, I think we must try some kind of investigation. We should begin broadcasting a sequence to it, something binary." Suggested Ezekiel, trying to change the subject back to the object.

"What in binary? We come in peace?" Jaazaniah asked in jest.

"How about a series of prime numbers. If the object is truly intelligent, then it will surely recognize primes." burst Jacob.

"Ok, then it's settled. We'll begin broadcasting primes. I'll write up a report for the high priests to approve." Ezekiel took one last look over the information on his desk. "Meeting adjourned."

Simultaneously, all the communications satellites focussed on the object, and sent the simple message through space.
A cactolith is a quasihorizontal chonolith composed of anastomosing ductoliths whose distal ends curl like a harpolith, thin like a sphenolith, or bulge discordantly like an akmolith or ethmolith.

Old Sarthal
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Sarthal » Fri Sep 27, 2013 1:46 pm

As the vast ship floated softly in space, its multitudinous crew was blissfully unaware of the critical juncture of history they were rapidly approaching. The muted gray and blue tones of the outer hulls contrasted sharply with the titanium sheen of the massive core where the power generation facilities and the superluminal engine (one and the same, really) were housed, at the center of rotation so as to ease maintenance duties and keep the ship stable. As maneuvering thrusters puffed and the crew scurried about to prepare the vessel for final approach to their erstwhile target, a small radiometrics array in a rather dusty nook in an otherwise neglected area of the ship let out a soft ping, and, within a second, another. The technician responsible for monitoring the device, a small man currently nestled in his holoreader traversing an advertisement for the Pegasus P-ATV, jerked up, nearly tipping the nonstandard chair in which he laid at repose. After a brief pause, the machine let out a sequence of three pings. Then five. Then seven. Eleven. Thirteen. Seventeen. Nineteen.

The technician pressed a small red button on his console.

Precisely seven minutes and thirty eight seconds later, the technician, his supervisor, and his supervisor, Consul Entol, were standing outside the entrance to the bridge as the security officer on duty conferred with his counterpart on the other side of the blast doors, an irate looking young woman who seemed to be insisting on something, though through the soundproof glass it was anybody's guess. After a minute or so, he turned back to the Consul and quietly informed him that the Praetor was not receiving visitors at the moment and if he could just make an appointment the next slot was available within five cycles, and...

The Consul drew his magcannon, and, with preternatural calm, aimed it directly at the chest of the officer.

"You have five seconds to open the door."

As the left hand of the man drifted slowly to the panic button beneath his desk, the doors opened and a distinctive voice boomed over the intercom.

"Asking nicely works too, Entol. This had better be damn well important."

In the Praetor's office, Tel adopted a neutral expression as the trio filed in, the Consul at the fore. Entol sat down in the only other chair in the room and from his coat produced a small recording device, the memory core of the radiometrics system. He pressed the button marked with a green arrow, and it sprung to life, once again emitting the two pings.

"It's receiving the first 100 primes, over and over again, all from the same source. If the source is natural, it's unlike any sort of phenomenon we have ever seen."

Tel clasped his hands, almost seeming to sigh.

"Do we have any ground-based transmissions on the planet?"

Entol switched the frequency.

"That almost sounds like... Düsyi."

"It's consistent with the syntax of High Imperial, actually. Report to the shuttle bay in ten minutes. Tell no one where you are going. I will be waiting."

A small, sleek vessel, perhaps sized for eight at most, detached from the upper portion of the core, and, activating its far smaller drive, sped off towards the planet.

Soroi Athlai [FT]

Generation 31 (The first time you see this, copy it into your sig on any forum and add 1 to the generation. Social experiment.)

Yortini Systems
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Yortini Systems » Tue Oct 01, 2013 3:16 pm

"Something has detached from the object!"

Jaazaniah threw open the door to Ezekiel's with such resolve, that the thin walls shook violently. A small photograph of the Holy City was jostled from its place, and fell to the floor with a thud.

"Jaazaniah? Is anything the matter, why do you enter with such anguish?"

Ezekiel rose from his seat, and walked over to the fallen photograph. He reached down casually and examined the photo. The glass was shattered, and shards of it were scattered on the floor. Ezekiel felt a sudden chill, could this be a sign?

"The object has split into two. The second portion is descending to the surface of Ethlan, it appears to be on a course for landing."

"How much time will it take for this object to make contact?"

"Hours, maybe less. It's hard to tell for sure, the object changes its trajectory, it's almost definitely a vessel of some variety."

"By the creators!"

Ezekiel held his head in his hands, overcome with questions.He rubbed his featureless face, it was time for a plan.

"Jaazaniah, can you chart the object's course of landing?"

"It is a difficult task, the course corrections will be a source for error, but I think if the vessel navigates logically, I should be able to surmise the point of landing."

"Alright, for now, I'm going to request a target lock on the vessel. It's only a precaution, since we have no idea what the intentions of this vessel are. If, and when the vessel lands I want you to organize a welcome party on the surface of Ethlan. I'll request for military personnel, by the creators I hope we won't need them."

"Yes, I understand."

Jaazaniah turned and reached for the brass knob. Slipping quietly out of the office. Ezekiel stared thoughtfully at the broken painting of the Holy City, before beginning a quiet prayer of guidance.

Ethlan Orbit, The Concourse

Silently, the main defense artillery of the Concourse turned towards the incoming object. Spinning on long unused motors, covered in the fine dust of space. If there was noise, the massive cannons would emit an ungodly screech.

Two military vessels shot out of the Concourse Defense Dock, maneuvering with noiseless thrusters. They trailed a few kilometers behind the foreign object. Their weapons were armed and ready.
A cactolith is a quasihorizontal chonolith composed of anastomosing ductoliths whose distal ends curl like a harpolith, thin like a sphenolith, or bulge discordantly like an akmolith or ethmolith.

Old Sarthal
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Old Sarthal » Wed Oct 09, 2013 2:00 pm

Tel gazed quietly out the vast, curving windows that lined the sides of what had once been a diplomatic shuttle of the Siln't people, a gift to his homeworld. As the planet drew closer, its surface went from seemingly smooth and calm to a tortured fabric, ravaged by scars and devoid of life. Yet something seemed odd. Soft glimmers of light that couldn't possibly be natural. As their trajectory swung around the night side and the vast structure was cast against the darkness of ancient night, he found himself simply unable to believe his eyes. A great field of light to outshine the stars behind them formed a sort of ring around Athla, an interlocking lattice of what could only be mechanical structures of a magnitude never before considered possible.

His reverie was then suddenly interrupted by a shudder running through the vessel, followed by the blare of an alarm. Tel's head snapped up. "What the hell just happened?"

The pilot rotated in his seat. "Target lock. Something's out there, and it doesn't like us."

The Praetor immediately assumed command. "Check radar, ladar, everything. Do they have birds in the air?"

The technician, feeling somewhat overwhelmed, chose this moment to speak up. "I think so."

Tel turned. "Why?"

He slowly raised a hand and pointed out the rear window.

A few kilometers off, point-blank range for naval combat, two shining dots stood out against the blackness of space.

"Yep."

Tel took a deep breath, and clasped his hands before turning back to his makeshift crew. "I'll take the helm. Pleios, check infrared and see what they're up to. Consul, head to the armory and get you and your men equipped. Now."

"Sir, are-"

"Did I stutter?"

After years of service in the naval forces, Tel was more than qualified to handle any vessel flown by the Republican Navy, and most that weren't. Situations like this, however, went so far beyond protocol that he simply reverted to his basest instincts of piloting, and began preparing the shuttle for a landing upon the planet. Airbrakes, check. Retro thrusters, check. Shielding- Tel panicked momentarily before remembering that this was a civilian vessel, and the designers would have seen no need for the electromagnetic shielding used on planetary assault transports to confuse sensors in hostile landing zones. They would have to simply do without. He turned back to the main compartment. "What's the status of the contacts?"

"Definitely confirmed, but they've made no move to close. We're still locked, but they aren't firing."

He turned back towards the cockpit, as the planet drew ever closer, and uttered a soft prayer.

"I'm going to try and put us down outside one of the old cities."

Soroi Athlai [FT]

Yortini Systems
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Yortini Systems » Wed Oct 09, 2013 4:04 pm

The Cleric's Palace, the Concourse

The Cleric stared vacantly into the metallic face of Jaazaniah, overwhelmed.

"Your reverence, do you understand what I say?" Jaazaniah bowed his head slightly.

"Yes." Ramiel began to rub his eyes. For fifteen years he had lead the Concourse with no disturbance. Now, for the first time in history, extra-ethlanian contact was made.

"So, your reverence, will you form a welcome party?"

"A welcome party?" Ramiel held his head in his hands. "Landing on Ethlan in a ship that is not blessed by the consortium of priests is a punishable offence. Should the laws be changed for these aliens?"

"Surely, you don't mean to prosecute these extra-ethlans. They are not aware of our laws, or scriptures. Enforcing them would be ridiculous."

"What would the creators think? Allowing these heathens to tread upon their holy land?"

"Aren't the creators forgiving? Won't they understand?"

"One can only hope." Ramiel folded his hands, and began praying to himself silently before being interrupted by Jaazaniah.

"So, have you thought of who to bring to the welcome party, your reverence?"

Ramiel scowled, as he thought over possible candidates. Ezekiel would definitely be member, afterall he was the one who discovered the true nature of the vessel. He would also bring along a few high priests, probably Jacob, Isaac and Israfel. For diplomatic measures, it would be a good idea to bring along an ambassador, Azubah would be a prime choice.

"Yes, I have a group in mind."

The shuttle descended, it was an obtrusive bulbous shape in the darkness above Ethlan. The atmosphere of the planet was harsh, inhospitable. Through the dirty grey clouds, the brown land was visible, sharp, covered in peaks and crevices. On the dark side of the world, lights revealed the positions of some of the most notable Ethlan monasteries, where priests and monks studied the ground that their creators walked.

Licks of flame started expanding over the shuttle's surface, a spiderweb of fire. The shuttled fell, now an angry tongue of flame. Gradually, the vessel slowed, thrusters on the underside of the shuttle activated, and a small chute threw itself from the top. The shuttle landed violently in an open field. Nearby, was the monastery of Gibreal, calculated as the closest to the approximate landing zone for the extra-ethlanian ship.

A small door slid open on the side of the shuttle. The five chosen welcomers stepped out, followed by Ramiel.

Ezekiel was almost overcome by the view of the holy lands. He had several times heard the story of the fall of the creators, but never had he stood on the soil of their home. The view was painful. It was dark, the sunlight diluted by the thick smoky atmosphere. The landscape was barren and brutal. Huge mountains pointed upwards, jagged rocks were everywhere. The ground was covered in a thick black dust, that was blown in huge clouds across the wasteland. The monastery was barely identifiable, it blended in strangely well with the landscape. It was a low squat building, made of black bricks and a large sagging roof. The shuttle landed next to a huge crack in the planet. Ezekiel inched himself as close as he could stand to the edge, and gazed over. The crack was unimaginably deep, the bottom was obscured, but Ezekiel swore he saw light.

"Is that...magma?" He asked

"I wouldn't be surprised, Ethlan is very volcanically active as a result of its sacking. The whole planet is covered in crevices like this." replied Isaac, one of the high priests.

A small group of hooded monks approached the welcome party. The leader lowered his hood.

"You've arrived, excellent. We should be on our way to the landing zone, the vessel will be on the surface shortly."

The welcome party boarded a large vehicle. It drove quickly over the dust leaving a black cloud behind it. Ezekiel looked up at the sky, and barely made out the orange flames of the foreign vessel.

Return to International Incidents