NATION

PASSWORD

A Bridge of Understanding [CLOSED, MATURE, ATTN Tuthina]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Radiatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 25, 2011
Ex-Nation

A Bridge of Understanding [CLOSED, MATURE, ATTN Tuthina]

Postby Radiatia » Wed Sep 18, 2013 11:30 pm

"Peace cannot be achieved through violence, it can only be attained through understanding."
- Ralph Waldo Emerson

"No law or ordinance is mightier than understanding."

- Plato

Yuki Peterson was excited as she boarded FEDERATION ONE for the first time ever.

The famous Presidential plane - or one of the two identical ones - gleamed in front of her, painted in the colours of the Radiatian flag as she boarded with the other journalists of the Level 101 Press Corps.

It was an honour for her to be there of course, perhaps the pinnacle of her career as a journalist. The paper she represented - the Shinerak Enquirer was hardly the most well known paper in the country, and yet here she was among that elite group of journalists whose job it was to yell questions at the President's Press Secretary and - on exceedingly rare occasions - at the President himself (which he would usually deflect or ignore).

It had been said that President Fyoderov himself had intervened on her behalf. The President had a soft spot for the local newspapers of smaller towns and cities, given that he himself was from one of the federation's more obscure corners. It was possible that some fat-cat journalist from Exegrad or Das Engel, whose readership was nationwide and in the millions, had been shunted aside so that she could report back to the residents of Shinerak, South Corpshire on the movements of their commander-in-chief.

And today, as she stood on the tarmac of Falko Air Force Base in Detzerstcha, just beyond the limits of the Federal Capital Territory and the attached no-fly zone, she couldn't help but tremble with excitement that she would be joining the President on one his trips - possibly even abroad.

Kerrie Roy, the President's Press Secretary had been very tight-lipped about where they were going, which drove the Press Corps insane.

Was it a charity dinner in Exegrad? A red carpet event in Das Engel? Maybe he was off to visit some school in Tathika?

But the more they demanded, the more that Kerrie Roy simply grinned, with a knowing twinkle in her eye.

The Press Corps were seated in the front of the plane, in a room with seats no different to economy class on a normal airliner. It wasn't the luxury which would be enjoyed by the President and his staff in other parts of the plane, but nevertheless it was an all expenses paid flight to somewhere, and which would feature an in-flight meal from one of the RFAF's finest chefs.

Yuki pondered where they could possibly be going - her assumption initially was that it would be somewhere within the Radiatian Federation, or at least it was until the Presidential motorcade pulled up outside her window.

Out stepped President Fyoderov, but he was flanked not by the first lady but by a small, greay bespectacled man who she recognised as the Minister of Foreign Affairs - Isaac Lichtenberg.

Which meant they were going somewhere abroad. Fyoderov was to be attending a foreign meeting which had been kept secret from the media.

It wasn't totally unheard of for the Fyoderov Administration to keep secrets from the Press Corps, or even for Kerrie Roy to play games with them from time to time. But whatever was going on here was big, something unusual, something that had been in planning for a very long time.

Kerrie Roy came in to greet the Press Corps one last time before FEDERATION ONE took off. They expected a full briefing.

Instead all they were told was, "Rest up. We'll be there in 13 hours."

And so for the next few hours the journalist stirred, trying to decipher the secrecy of the administration. What was a 13 hour flight from Xerconia? The only realistic answer was Nui-ta.

But why would Fyoderov be so secretive about visiting Nui-ta? It was hardly his - or their - first time there.

What was the President's game?

"Mr. President, please, it's very important that we run through this one last time," Said Foreign Affairs Minister Isaac Lichtenberg, as he read through a stack of papers on the President's desk.

"Isaac, we spent a full 40 hours running through this. Do you really think I'm so inefficient as to forget?" Said Gregori Fyoderov, looking visibly fatigued.

"It's very important, Mr. President. Nay, it's essential to our mission. You must understand that they are a completely alien culture. And we cannot ask them to understand us until we learn to understand them and respect them on their home turf."

"Fine. But just give me the finer points. I can't handle any more details right now."

Isaac sighed and rearranged the papers in his hands.

What the two were about to attempt in Tuthina was verging on the impossible, he knew. It was likely they would fail, and if so then that was to be expected.

But if they succeeded, then the possibilities were endless. Both he and Fyoderov would go down in history... perhaps they would win the Noctur Peace Prize.

Isaac was originally from Crata, and he was Crataan enough to have peace as his single greatest desire. But he had become a Radiatian 20 years ago, and he was Radiatian enough to do all that was necessary to obtain his desires - even if it meant ignoring the human rights abuses being committed within a nation-state for the greater goal of peace.

Gregori Fyoderov on the other hand, well, he was simply seeking glory. And if he succeeded in Tuthina, or even partially succeeded, that glory would be his to keep and hold forever, and his legacy would be that.

Originally Gregori had intended to bring the First Lady with him, but the fact of the matter was that he and his wife were not having the best of relationships at that time. She had embarrassed him on a previous international outing by admitting, to the Prime Minister of Detectatia no less, that she had never heard of his country. As his Presidency went on, Gregori was finding himself glad to be away from Patricia - although he was all too aware that eventually he would have to fend off rumours that his marriage was on the rocks. And perhaps it was.

"You must remember that Tuthina is a hierarchical society," Isaac continued. "They are very strict about the role that each tier of society plays. You must never question authority there. The people who lord over you do so for life, as do the people lording over them, and so forth up to the Emperor who is seen as divine.

"The Tuthinans believe that you are merely a peasant questioning your rightful rulers and that we are somehow barbaric for allowing everyone to rule the country."

"Well they're not completely wrong about our barbarism," Joked Fyoderov. "There's more than a few people in this country who would probably do us a favour by never voting in an election ever again."

"Very droll, Mr. President." Isaac almost never laughed at jokes.

"But who do they think is my rightful ruler then?"

"Well, Mr. President. Tuthina has no concept of national sovereignty. They believe that one lord may have sovereignty over his clan, to an extent, but they believe their Emperor is the rightful ruler of all."

"Interesting," Said the President. "So they view the world the way the Social Democratic Union views Radiatian states? No concept of sovereignty, eh?" He laughed again.

"But do you not understand? Tuthinans are raised from birth to believe their Emperor is a god. It's ingrained in them."

"Hey, I was raised from birth to believe that communism was the only ideology worth a damn, and now look where I am! I don't think their Imperial Cult will last long. Not in this day and age."

"That's not for us to judge, Mr. President. We have to respect the Tuthinans and their culture if we're to expect anything in return."

"They don't sound that different to us," Said Gregori. "So they take natural inequality a bit further than we do. So they give corporations a little more political sway. Surely they have more in common with us than they do with Red Noctur?"

"Well hopefully we can convince them of it. Hopefully they will respond to our desire for closer political and economic relations."

"So will I be meeting this esteemed God-Emperor?" Asked Gregori bluntly.

"Mr. President... I've negotiated extensively with the Imperial Court and... I can't yet guarantee it." Said Isaac.

"I'm not flying all this way to meet some popstar princess, Isaac. I want to look their Emperor in the eye. I want us to finally see each other face to face."

"Then we must convince them that you are not merely a peasant, but that you and the Emperor are equals."

"And how do I do that?"

"Well, either they will assume you are some sort of duke who is below his authority, or... you will have to convince them that there is an authority higher than him, which you both report to."

"So I tell them I'm a god, but that there's a super-god out there?"

"In short... yes." Said Isaac.

"Well, I know what my critics say about me," Said Gregori with a smile. "I know they say I'm egotistical, and arrogant... and that I seem to see myself as a god.

"Two leaders who see ourselves as gods... I expect the Emperor and I will get on like a house on fire!"

"This is no time for jokes, Mr. President." Said Isaac sternly.

"Oh Isaac, my dear sir," Said Fyoderov. "Don't you see? If we can get Tuthina to come to the negotiating table... if we can get even the shortest of dialogues going, then - we are gods!"

13 hours later, Yuki Peterson found herself staring out the window as FEDERATION ONE came in to land in an alien environment.

She didn't know where in the world she was, but wherever it was it was considerably greener – and more colourful in general – than Radiatia. The landscape was more abundant in life and beauty, a contrast from the lifeless deserts and barren plains of the great northern land.

The plane landed, and the Press Corps were ushered out, where they were greeted by clean and gently fragrant air unlike anything likely to be experienced in any major Radiatian city.

“Where the hell are we?” Asked Garry, a fellow journalist, as they tried to make sense of their surroundings.

It wasn't Nui-ta – there was something that was almost too clean about it to be Nui-ta. It was too warm to be Aazeronia. And too far away to be anywhere in Terra Occidens.

And then, out of the corner of her eye, Yuki saw it.

In the distance, the unmistakable sight of the Maru ni umebati, a telling symbol which caused her to gasp as she realised where they had taken her.

“Oh my god...” She said, pointing it out to the others. “We're in Tuthina!

And standing on the tarmac of Anegawa airport, on that forbidden and mysterious isle between east and west, Yuki watched Gregori Fyoderov exit FEDERATION ONE and make history, by becoming the first President of the Radiatian Federation to ever visit the Empire of Tuthina.
Last edited by Radiatia on Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:52 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tuthina
Senator

Founded: Jun 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Thu Sep 19, 2013 5:55 am

“Here by pretentious quotes.”
Here be Quote Mine

In the eye of the Radiatians, the land of Tuthina was most likely as alien as the government that reigned over it. Located in the middle of one of the largest oceans in Noctur, it was an enormous chain of pale green archipelagos arose from out the azure main. As a sharp contrast with the land of Radiatia, which was notorious for its mostly barren land covered with industrial smog that was always tinted by technicolour, the archipelago was—for the most part—devoid of almost any sign of heavy industrial pollution, or even human life: a peek from the skies towards the islands would find it mostly covered by a pale green forestation of the late winter, while the white snow gradually melted away from the arrival of spring. Only very occasionally would one be able to spot the patches of grey and brown that marked the existence of human civilisation.

The Radiatian aircraft descended as it approached its destination. From the first glance, it was not very big an airport despite it apparently being one of the major airfield in the biggest metropolis in the Empire. What was more was that it seemed the airport itself consist of little more than the airstrip itself, with a green hill occupying where a terminal and other facilities should be at. However, once the plane has landed on the strip, further examination would reveal that the majority of the airport, including the terminal, hanger, and a few other structures not commonly seen in commercial airports, was, in fact, built into the slopes of the hill. The vegetation and the occasion paint on the exposed structure was more than enough to conceit naked eyes, or even some of the more advanced equipment.

FEDERATION ONE was quickly guided and towed from the strip into the mountain. It was a smooth and enjoyable ride, as the interior of the cavity was fully covered, even air-conditioned, to exclude any negative influence that building under an entire mountain would have on the facility. It was a mystery even for the native Tuthinans why this airport was built in such an expensive way—some said it was due to the zealousness of the local government on preserving a pristine appearance to outsiders, some said it was to impress any foreigners who made their way into such a technological marvel, and some said it was built to avoid detection by enemy “just in case”.

The first group of Tuthinans the Radiatians would be meeting had already been waiting at the terminal end of the aerobridge. It was not a very big group of people, numbering in around a dozen. Upon seeing the arrival of the rare guest, they all gave them a half-bow as a greeting.

Among them, all but two in the middle shared the same black-and-white garment. While definitely Tuthinan in style, it was apparently simpler than the usual Tuthinan garment, and was surprisingly utilitarian in nature. The reason of this garment of choice was quite clear, though—they were all carrying a compact, bullpup submachine gun with them, hanging around their waist by a strap on their shoulder.

Their hands were kept around the trigger near the business end of the firearm, though (perhaps fortunately) it was clear they did not have the intention to pointing it towards the Radiatian guest. At a sharp contrast with the modernistic appearance of the firearm, though, by the other side of their waist there also hoisted a short Tuthinan blade of around two feet long.

Among the remaining two, one of them was a typical yellow Tuthinan elder. Although his garment was similar in its colour scheme with the security, the fact that it was decorated by silvery lines suggested that he enjoyed a higher class than them. Similarly there were no guns by his waist, instead there were two Tuthinan blades hoisted beside his sash, one about two and a half feet long, and the other one a foot shorter. Unlike the plain one carried by the guards, the swords he had enjoyed a lot more decoration, probably even more than his other garments. Made of dark, red wood of high-quality, it was decorated by gold and silver lining that formed some sort of artistic depiction of flora and fauna alike, giving them a similar appearance with ceremonial weapons—at least, no one in the Radiatian team would prefer to know how well they would perform in a real fight now.

Contrast with the humble appearance of the Tuthinan man, the remaining Tuthinan woman definitely preferred a more grandiose and eye-catching dressing. Although sharing the same T-shaped long robe as almost all other Tuthinan clothing, it was in a rather bright, scarlet colour, with golden lines decorating both the robe and the thick sash, forming what appeared to be a stylised flower, making it a rather sharp contrast between the bright clothes and her skin, was had a complexion between the yellow Tuthinan people and the white minority. Together with the long, midnight black hair of her, which was plaited and wrapped into a bun and apparently held in place by stylised long pins of gold-lined jade, making her easily the focus of the entire Tuthinan team.

Her swords were graced with a similar level of attention and decoration as well, as they were laced with a myriad of expensive material, from the ubiquitous gold and silver lining, to exotic decorations made of a pearl-like substance, all arranged in a careful way to give it a glamorous appearance without making it philistine, instead turning it into an awe-inspiring piece of art.

“It is of our pleasure to meet you, lord president Fyoderov of Radiatia. We are truly honoured by your presence.” The women greeted the President of the Federation, before greeting the remaining of the Radiatians. Her appearance and manner was refined, giving her the feeling of a mature noblewoman, probably in her early thirties. Her hands appeared to be unworked and well-preserved by a faint perfume that covered almost all of her exposed skin, making it smoother without being excessive. While the majority of the Radiatians probably had not seen her before, those who paid enough attention to international politics would be able to recognise her as Grand Princess Ateko, the chief representative of Tuthina to the International Community of Noctur, as well as one of the numerous elder sisters of the God-Emperor.

“I am Ateko of Sakawa, and this is lord Tesigahara, the Secretary of State for Rites of the Empire.” The old man gave a smile and a nod towards them as his name was mentioned amongst the foreign tongue the princess spoke.

“It will be of our responsibility to guide and introduce you to your next destination within the Imperial realm.” She continued as the Radiatians were guided along the terminal. “And as you are the precious guests of His Most Serene Majesty, these servants will have the honour of guaranteeing your personal safety during your stay.”

The terminal was decorated by few banners, depicting a black emblem of the Empire over the white background. Though, it was probably not as obsessive as the old communist Radiatia, or even the new Radiatia as some would argue. In the most part, the decorations in the terminal resembled more like ink brush painting than political propaganda, at least as far as most foreigners could tell.

Despite the stereotype of Tuthina being backwards and was still living in a millennium ago in the past, the terminal was, aesthetics aside, not unlike the international airports of Radiatia or other modern nations in terms of equipment. Although obviously spared from the nightmare known as passing through the customs, this airport clearly had its own segment of customs, gates, booths, and even full-body scanners equipped for any entries.

Soon, the team passed through the terminal and had apparently emerged from the other side of the hill. The main entrance of the airport was a rather humble building of Tuthinan characteristics, owing to the fact that the majority of the facilities was concealed inside the small hill by the side of the town of Anegawa. The first thing Gregori noticed about this nation was that the Empire apparently either did not have its own Press Corps or paparazzi, or they were extremely well at concealing themselves.

Sitting by the edge of Mizuho, the largest metropolis in the Empire and home to a considerable faction of the Imperial subjects, the town of Anegawa was surprisingly quiet and quaint. It was said that this place was deliberately maintained as a quiet suburb that happened to house some of the most prestigious and honoured hotels and accommodations with the specific intention of giving any arriving foreign delegates a first impression they wanted. Perhaps because of that, the roads outside the gate were quiet and devoid of crowds, with only occasion passer-by that might not even notice one of the most important individual of Noctur had arrived.

The second thing the Radiatians might notice was the vastly different sensation they experienced, even after leaving the air-conditioned interior. The air was as pristine as it was first seen from the high skies, without any colour or particulates that had been the trademark of Radiatian air, especially in the urban area. Similarly, despite being in late winter or early spring, the air in Tuthina was moist and relatively warm, as it was surrounded by a large body of water, unlike the continental and arid Radiatia.

Parked near the main entrance was a caravan of black limousine, accompanied by a chauffeur each, also dressed in traditional Tuthinan garment, further cementing the impression that this was THE clothes of the Empire. The significant members of the Radiatian team was offered to seat in the middle one along with their Tuthinan counterparts, while the guards would have to staff the remaining vehicles for the time being.

The interior of the limousine was luxurious, if not overtly “Tuthinan”—it would not be very difficult to find a vehicle with the same interior in Radiatia. Fitted with comfortable seats, a retractable table between the two opposing rows, even a wine container and a (turned off) monitor in its main compartment, it was quite comfortable to stay while the vehicles deliver them to their next destination nearby.

Once they were all seated, the engines were started, and the vehicles slowly gain speed and rode onto the main roads. As yet another sharp contrary with its Radiatian counterpart, the engine of the car was very quiet, almost inaudible by all but the best hearer. The very smooth acceleration and the lacklustre speed and power—characteristics of an electric engine—could also be observed by the Radiatians.

“I have heard that the people of Radiatias are very fond of efficiency. As such, it might be more appropriate if we can utilise this brief moment. Is there any inquires that you might wish to make before proceeding to meet His Majesty?” Ateko asked with a smile, before opening one of the containers and pulled out a bottle of alcoholic beverage. “Or perhaps you prefer to enjoy our beverage instead?”
Last edited by Tuthina on Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:54 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Call me Reno.
14:54:02 <Lykens> Explain your definition of Reno.

11:47 <Swilatia> Good god, copy+paste is no way to build a country!

03:08 <Democratic Koyro> NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
Rated as Class A: Environmental Utopia by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Human Rights Haven (7/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Partially Free (4/10) by Namor People's Rating Department
Rated as Post-Industrial Nation (48 000 thousands of metric tons of carbon annually) by Syleruian Carbon Output Index
Rated as Category B by Edenist Travel Advisory Guide

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:33 pm

In typical Radiatian style, there were no half-measures as the President's party arrived. The President had brought with him a "small" entourage which consisted of well over 100 people, including bodyguards, translators, diplomats, journalists, members of the President's staff (who were on hand to brief him on anything happening back home) and, right at the back, unknown to the President, his daughter Zoe.

"I've found you in some strange places before, Zoe, but this is definitely the most surprising," Mused Fyoderov as he beheld his teenage daughter on the aerobridge.

"Mr. President, we felt that seeing as the First Lady couldn't make it to Tuthina it might be a good look for your daughter to accompany you on this historic visit," Said Talia Pocock, the President's Chief of Staff.

"Well blimey, I wish you'd told me that Zoe was coming before we took off..." Said the President.

"We did. Did you not read your briefing notes?"

"Briefing no--- GODDAMNMIT, woman! No one reads briefing notes!"

Talia shook her head. "It's not my fault you weren't more efficient. The information was all in there. On page 217. Fifth paragraph. Second sentence."

Zoe wrapped her arms around her important father, while Gregori was left to ponder the fact that Zoe would be a better companion than his wife. At least Zoe, unlike Patricia Fyoderov, was not wont to publicly refer to Tuthina as "That thar 'Tooth' country."

Behind them, a second VC-1 Komrad - a plane identical to FEDERATION ONE and often used as a spare or a decoy, was coming in to land, as was a giant military cargo plane - a C-225 Glaktik carrying the President's motorcade, which by Radiatian law travelled everywhere with him.

It was possible that the three aircraft were contributing more to Tuthina's carbon footprint at that moment than the rest of the empire combined, which made Fyoderov - both a diplomat and a moderate environmentalist - feel a little embarrassed.

"I think they're going to provide transport for us, John," Said Gregori to a nearby soldier, who was in charge of organising the motorcade's transport to and from foreign nations. "And I think we'd need their permission to use it around here anyway."

Finally, the Radiatians arrived in the terminal, to greet their Tuthinan counterparts.

The bowing was actually the least alien thing about them - bowing was a common way of greeting or showing respect in the eastern states of Radiatia, although Fyoderov himself was from the southwest and would have felt more comfortable with a nice handshake, or perhaps if they would open with a joke or with "Did you see that ludicrous display last night?"

Nevertheless, he smiled the same smile that won him the election, and bowed in return to them - or at least until Isaac Lichtenberg loudly cleared his throat, reminding Fyoderov to at least attempt to follow Tuthinan protocols. ("Remember, as far as they're concerned you're more noble than noble. Or at least that's what we want them to think. Don't defer to them.")

“It is of our pleasure to meet you, lord president Fyoderov of Radiatia. We are truly honoured by your presence.” Said one of the most beautiful women Gregori had ever seen - and he was a man who had spent his early 20s in the nightclubs and strip clubs of Das Engel.

Most of the males in the party attempted to hide the fact that Grand Princess Ateko was a very attractive woman and that all of them were thinking, on varying levels, of just what would have become of a woman like her had she been born and raised in the federation.

"The honour is truly ours, Princess," Said Gregori, both bowing and then shaking her hand in a very east-meets-west sort of gesture. His voice was deep and guttural, with a minor lisp - a very famous voice, and one easily mimicked by comedians.

Lord President Fyoderov, she had said.

How I wish they would call me Lord back home, Gregori thought silently to himself. How much rather I would be an Emperor than a President...

“I am Ateko of Sakawa, and this is lord Tesigahara, the Secretary of State for Rites of the Empire.” She said, gesturing to the kid-looking old man situated near her.

Gregori smiled back and added, jokingly "I would say hello in your native language, but my Tuthinan is so terrible that I fear I would make your beautiful tongue into something very ugly indeed."

“It will be of our responsibility to guide and introduce you to your next destination within the Imperial realm.” She continued as the Radiatians were guided along the terminal. “And as you are the precious guests of His Most Serene Majesty, these servants will have the honour of guaranteeing your personal safety during your stay.”

Gregori grinned.

"Well I am humbled!" He said. "Also, I do apologise for the large entourage with me, especially the guards. If you'd prefer for them to hand over their weapons, that's fine by me although according to the Radiatian constitution there are meant to be four with me at all times - even in the bathroom."

He was attempting to charm her with humour, the way he had charmed his own nation. The Foreign Minister, knowing the Tuthinans had a sense of humour, looked on desperately hoping that perhaps humour - as a common aspect of basic humanity - would translate into their tongue, or else that those who spoke the international language would comprehend it.

While it was true that the terminal was - rather beautifully - decorated with Tuthinan emblems, it was to be expected, and was considerably less in-your-face than Radiatia, which seemed to decorate everything with the flag or some other symbol.

Finally they were led out into Anegawa which was at once strange and beautiful to the Radiatians.

To those who had spent most of their lives in the Federal Capital Territory and the associated world of politics - including most of the President's staff - it was a world away from Xerconia's dystopian collection of sandstone, crumbling Soviet-style eyesore apartment blocks and desert.

Even Gregori, himself from one of Radiatia's cleaner and more beautiful parts, was dazzled by the pink flowers and colours of the coniferous plants and trees in the quiet and idyllic village. There was such a wonderful variety of flora here - unlike Radiatia in which you basically had the choice between tundra, pine trees, maize or cactuses.

Anegawa would to some resemble one of Das Engel's famous gated communities - where lived the celebrities and super-rich oligarchs who arguably comprised the Radiatian nobility. But unlike there, there was no smog blowing in from the slums nearby, the water was probably unpolluted and the trees and grass were real, not fake and made of plastic.

Different too was the humidity - although it did exist in the west of Radiatia, including Fyoderov's home state of Jingyurin, nowhere was it as intense as this and it was unlike the bone-dry air which was to be found in 70% of the Radiatian Federation.

Finally the President and his immediate staff - including Isaac Lichtenberg, Talia Pocock and his daughter Zoe - were ushered into a limousine which, unbelievable to them as it sounded, actually ran on electricity!

The car moved like a subway train, the only thing to which the Radiatians, so used to their high-powered and incredibly noisy automobiles, could compare the experience.

“I have heard that the people of Radiatias are very fond of efficiency. As such, it might be more appropriate if we can utilise this brief moment. Is there any inquires that you might wish to make before proceeding to meet His Majesty?” Ateko asked with a smile, before opening one of the containers and pulled out a bottle of alcoholic beverage. “Or perhaps you prefer to enjoy our beverage instead?”

"Well, as an efficient Radiatian, I would like to suggest we do both," Quipped the President with a laugh. "I can't turn down an exotic drink, although I suppose I had better iron out the final details, lest I spoil early what is already an excellent visit."

He turned to his foreign minister, who pulled out a notepad and proceeded to speak in his light Crataan accent.

"The first question the President will have for you," Said Isaac as if reading Gregori's mind. "Will be regarding the laws on photography, and on potential photo opportunities."

"I have a Press Corps with me," Added Gregori. "You see everyone in Radiatia is fascinated by Tuthina. While we tend to be on the television so much that you can know Radiatia without travelling there... well you folks are a little more subtle.

"So obviously the press are very excited that I'm here, and they want to film it... but of course, the last thing I want to do is upset any local laws or customs.

"Afterall, we Radiatians have a bad reputation when it comes to our clumsy attempts at dealing with the world... I'd rather like to reverse this trend now, as efficiently as possible, if you'll allow me."
Last edited by Radiatia on Fri Sep 20, 2013 11:42 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Tuthina
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Sat Sep 21, 2013 7:14 am

“Gentle like water; acute like blossom.”
—Zorion Aldana, “Overview on Tuthinan Culture”

While aircraft at large and loud as those of the Radiatian caravan was not unheard of in the Empire—the Empire itself was in possession of similar aircraft as well—the egregious use of them was still more than enough to make some of them raise an eyebrow. However, they were at least able to keep their thoughts regarding such stereotypical image of the foreigners to themselves in public. Once the FEDERATION ONE had been served, the remaining planes were guided to their landing and into the hangers accordingly. Despite being one of the biggest aircraft Noctur had ever seen, the facility was apparently large enough to accommodate them, if in a less-decorated, utilitarian-looking location near the terminal. The crew of the followers of the President receive similar greetings from their Tuthinan counterparts as well, although unlikely as impressive as ones for their superior.

The Grand Princess seemed to notice the masculine attention given to her by the Radiatians, as she gave a brief smile and nod to the crew, before recalling her attention to the man in front of her. Despite the stereotype of Radiatians being a collective of uneducated plebeians, the leader and most of his crew appeared to be quite well-mannered—at the very least, more than enough to prevent the simple greeting into a diplomatic embarrassment and awkwardness for all parties involved, as well as being knowledgable enough to know his lack of knowledge in this foreign, if not alien, culture and language.

“Please do not worry about that, milord. Besides, there will be translators at your disposal should their service be required during your stay with our people.” Ateko replied to Gregori with a similar smile of his, speaking fluently despite in the foreign tongue of the Radiatians, although in a slight, aristocratic-sounding accent. Traditionally, the Tuthinan people, along with other things, revere their language(s) very much, even believing its use and misuse can have significant, even divine and magical influence on others and the world in general. However, at the same time trying to speak their language while within the Imperial territory can be seen as respect towards it, making it another complication that defined the Empire.

As Gregori explained the walking scandal that followed him around by law, Ateko seemed to have given the small crowd a little peek, before giving them another smile and leading them through the decorated terminal.

“Interesting, though it seems our people tend to utilise more disciplined beauties for such purpose.” She said in a slightly suggestive, half-joking tone, perhaps as a response to the humour embedded in the explanation. “Your servants may keep their armament if you see it as necessary, for our guards might not be as populous—or appropriate—as them for your people. Naturally, though, they will be considered our proper guests as well.”

Although Ateko was definitely well-educated and refined in manners and kinesics, her excitement on alcoholic beverage was not as reserved. After a quick nod, she extended the table between them and laid the small, ceramic shot glasses for all participants in a practised manner. Then, she opened the bottle—which was also made of ceramics, with some Tuthinan calligraphy probably stating its brand and content—and filled the glasses. By first glance, the beverage was colourless and, apart from a faint scent of alcohol itself, mostly odourless. However, a careful taste would reveal otherwise. With an alcohol content of around 35° proof, it was in no way a liquor, as evident by the lack of the sensation of a burning throat when one ingest it. Instead, it offered a rather faint taste of both alcohol and sweetness, almost undetectable if one was not used to faint taste like that, but at the same time without the unique sensation of it being watered down. Contrast with its small first impression, the taste of the beverage seem to stay within one’s mouth long after it has been absorbed by the body, making a surprisingly lasting impression.

“I am glad that you appreciate our beverage, for we can proudly say it is one of our characteristic drinks, if you will. However, His Majesty will certainly have a better collection if it is not sufficient.” Ateko smiled after she emptied her glass in one go, slightly out of line of the extremely reserved stereotype for Tuthinan nobles, which was demonstrated perfectly by the quiet Secretary of the State beside her.

“Regarding the opportunity for taking photos and filming, in most cases our law is, perhaps uncharacteristically for us, quite lax. Your Press Corps are welcomed to take any video and audio record during the journey as long as the characters in question are treated in a respective manner—naturally, filming people against their explicit will will be discouraged.” Ateko explained. “However, it will be slightly more complicated when you will be alongside His Majesty. Naturally, we will ultimately confer to his wish, but in general, we strongly advise photos and films to be taken only in the designated, public occasions, such as before and after the feast scheduled if it is considered appropriate.”

As their conversation continued, the vehicles—which had inevitably become a motorcade due to the sheer amount of personnel need to be transported—continued to pass through the town of Anegawa. It was a highly organised town, clearly designed and built consciously of its intended function to give the “proper” impression to foreigners. The roads were well-paved, some by ubiquitous material, but most by polishd stones, together forming abstract patterns that might or might not bear any meaning. The buildings were mostly less than three stories high, with few exceptions occasionally passing through the sights from the windows. Despite the vast difference in size, colour and supposedly function, all of them seemed to be either in deliberate imitation of traditional Tuthinan architectural style, or at least a strange blend between Tuthinan aesthetics and “foreign” aesthetics. While it was unlikely to be a familiar style except for those living in older parts of the old Chiridia, somehow it also gave a strange sense of familiarity for those who called Xerconia home or second home.

At the brief moments when the vehicles turned around corners, though, a brief glimpse from the quiet roads towards the other side of the bay provided a great contrast to the guest. Not very far from the town of Anegawa was the Mizuho metropolitan region, the biggest settlement in the Empire, and home to a considerable faction of the entire population of the Empire. Unlike the serene town they were in, the metropolis was apparently way more developed, not unlike its counterparts across the world. However, some of the more prominent buildings seem to retain the same architecture style as those in Anegawa, making it an intriguing mixture of styles between Tuthinan, foreigner, as well as modernistic buildings.
Last edited by Tuthina on Sat Sep 21, 2013 9:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Reno.

03:08 <Democratic Koyro> NSG senate is a glaring example of why no one in NSG should ever have a position of authority
Rated as Post-Industrial Nation (48 000 thousands of metric tons of carbon annually) by Syleruian Carbon Output Index

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Sun Sep 22, 2013 12:54 am

“This deal is for one week only and you'd be CRAZY to pass it up!”
—Radiatian TV advertisement selling cars

Inside the limousine, Gregori and his inner circle clutched the shot glasses, some taking slow sips - unfamiliar with the drink - while others downed it in one.

"Zoe, I'm not sure you should be drinking..." Said the President to his daughter as she prepared to take a shot.

"Dad, I'm nearly 17!" She protested. "You're just a grumpy old Tory sometimes..."

Gregori shook his head and smiled at Ateko.

"Children..." He sighed before drinking half a shot of liquor.

He took a minute to enjoy and process the new taste, before deciding it was very much to his liking and proceeding to drink the rest.

"Well this is quite something!" He said of the drink. "My dear Princess, I hope our mission is successful enough to see a reduction in trade barriers... because a drink like this would go down very well with the Radiatian consumer market!"

Isaac Lichtenberg murmured a little at the President, a little bit disconcerted about how blunt the President was being.

Although both men were trained diplomats, Fyoderov having been Foreign Affairs Minister to the late Soden Larssen, Isaac often cringed at Radiatian bluntness (which they called "efficient communication") especially in international diplomacy.

“I am glad that you appreciate our beverage, for we can proudly say it is one of our characteristic drinks, if you will. However, His Majesty will certainly have a better collection if it is not sufficient.” Said Ateko, who drained her glass in a manner that could only be described as 'efficiently'.

"Well I do look forward to it, although - " He leaned forward as he made yet another joke. "I would hate to commit the international faux pas of passing out drunk in the presence of His Imperial Majesty. The last thing I would want to do is to reconfirm all those commonly held stereotypes of the clumsy, uneducated Radiatian buffoon..."

Ateko turned to Isaac.

“Regarding the opportunity for taking photos and filming, in most cases our law is, perhaps uncharacteristically for us, quite lax. Your Press Corps are welcomed to take any video and audio record during the journey as long as the characters in question are treated in a respective manner—naturally, filming people against their explicit will will be discouraged.” Ateko explained. “However, it will be slightly more complicated when you will be alongside His Majesty. Naturally, we will ultimately confer to his wish, but in general, we strongly advise photos and films to be taken only in the designated, public occasions, such as before and after the feast scheduled if it is considered appropriate.”

"Ah well of course!" Said President Fyoderov. "That's only common sense!"

He was bending the truth here - this was not common sense to a Radiatian at all, given that the "Right to Privacy" was not one which existed in the constitution or in the nation's collective psyche; while the Exegrad Times had quite literally once published a special edition "Underwear of the Women in Power" issue.

"I'll pass this information on to the press secretary," Said Talia Pocock, speaking for the first time. "I thank you for your efficiency."

The Radiatians in the meantime took time to enjoy the scenery of Anegawa, with Fyoderov noting the similarities between Tuthinan architecture and the architecture found in Chon, the state capital of Chongluntz.

"They say Tuthinans once settled Chongluntz," He said, quoting something he read once many years ago. "I suppose it explains the linguistic similarities. Chongkao is a related language to Tuthinan, I'm told. Even Radiatian has some influences from the east. So perhaps, great though our differences are, we have some similarities."

Eventually they caught sight of the skyline of Mizuho, a city which seemed a little more similar to those urban areas found in the federation, and which served as a reminder that yes, Tuthina does exist in the modern era.

"You know it's amazing looking out over there," Said Gregori. "If this was Radiatia, we probably wouldn't be able to see the skyline through the haze and smog, even from this distance.

"Your country is so clean, and beautiful. I really can't praise it enough."

Tuthina
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Sun Sep 22, 2013 5:21 am

“The Emperor is not the Emperor.”

Ateko maintained her smile as the expected guest tasted the Tuthinan beverage while emptying another glass herself. Although it seemed that she was not entirely aware of any problem of Zoe taking a shot, she appeared to be intrigued by the interaction between the two. “We certainly hope to see our beverage and goods becoming more popular outside the Imperial realm. For such, I wish your success on such… onerous endeavour.” She answered after pondering a bit for the appropriate word, as there were more than sheer antagonism towards Radiatia that motivated Tuthina for many of its decisions.

With a simple nod and smile towards Talia, the topic of conversation quietly shifted from legal complications to the foreign scenery of Anegawa and the Mizuho metropolis at large, from which the President raised a topic that seemed to interest Ateko, judging from her raised eyebrow. “Indeed the Empire had a deep relationship with the land of the Chiridian people for a long time, and if our knowledge on Cischiridiology are reliable, then it is quite likely that one of the people originated from the others, or at least had intensive cultural exchange with them. The same seems to be true for the people of Honadura as I had heard.” Unlike arguably the rest of the world, the official education on humanities of the Empire was not categorised by subjects such as history or linguistic per se, but by ethnicity—or at least, the perceived ethnicity based on the Imperial classification system itself. Because of that, intellectuals in the Empire were often specialised in subjects such as Nuitanology, Crataanology and, in this case, Cischiridiology, giving them in-depth understanding of arguably the entire culture of its interest, but cripplingly ignorant in the same subject of other cultures. It was not considered a huge disadvantage, though, for one’s career path in the entire life was often decided and dictated long before one became an adult, and very often they could stay on the path for the rest of the life thank to the stability of millennia of bureaucratic development and entrenchment.

“It seemed that we have long since parted from our common way though, as you have just suggested.” The Tuthinan noble remarked following the president’s statement on the skyline of the metropolis. She poured another glass for herself and the others as she continued. “If you may pardon our ignorance, our people have always been baffled by the way your people treat the nature that gave birth to your peoples, for it can be argued that the stereotype of us treating the nature as something akin to our mother is quite true.”

After another turn around the corner, the limousine started to decelerate smoothly, until it flowed into the gated entrance of the Kitukawa Kaikan, where they would be making a brief stop. Although built in the same architectural style that dominated the Empire, the Radiatians were able to see its name being written—though not translated—in a writing system they are familiar with. It could be argued, though, that it was very difficult to translate the word kaikan, just like half of the massive vocabulary of the Tuthinan languages. Although it literally meant “assembly hall”, it resembled more a mixture of hotel, restaurant, ball room, conference room, marriage place, and numerous other functions that would normally be distributed to a myriad of buildings. Designed to serve the upper echelon of the Imperial society, such buildings were able to satisfy almost all their needs and indulgences without having the guest to take a step outside the structure, making week-long meetings (slightly) more tolerable.

Another thing the guests could notice once they left the enclosed cabin was that, like the airport terminal, it was decorated by banners with the symbol of the Empire on it, something that was strangely absent from any other buildings in the vicinity. “Time surely flies by, milord.” Ateko said, as she and the chauffeur opened the door for the Radiatians while the rest of the motorcade gradually made their way into the parking lot.

The interior of the building was quite similar to the one they had seen in the airport terminal, with the general Tuthinan architectural style, decorated by ink brush painting and the like. The lightings were made soft and gentle with ingenious use of reflection and angling from the pastel pink walls that dominated the colour scheme of the vicinity. Although they were clearly being escorted through the usual hallway of the hotel, it seemed that the entire place had been reserved. Around some corners and halls, some security guards could be seen as well. Although armed with a similar compact firearm and a set of Tuthinan blades by the waist, there were at least two distinct groups of people garrisoned in here: one of them looked quite similar to the armed servants assigned to Gregori and his followers, but the other one was strangely lacking in portrayal in almost all non-native media. They were dressed similar to shrine maidens of the Imperial Cult, or the Kamist faiths in general, but they wore black upper clothes instead of the usual white one, although all of them being young and generally attractive female was the same as the stereotype applicable with the common maidens.

“Please do not mind them.” Ateko remarked, before they stopped in front of a pair of doors. “We will see each other very soon, but now you will have an audience.”

Then, with a simple bow, the entire Tuthinan escort retreated to the side. Before leaving, though, the silent minister looked at Gregori and opened his mouth. “As the honourable guests of His Most Serene Majesty, you are exempted from the formal greeting or restrictions for the audience. Please refrain from abusing such privileges.” He spoke in a weak, though serious tone, before joining his compatriots. With some callings from the classical Tuthinan language, the two maidens guarding the door slowly opened it, and revealed the interior to the Radiatians.

It was a rather spacious room, with its ground being filled by a collection of mats made of straw, giving it a rather soft tactile sensation if one were to walk bare-feet on it. Unlike the hallway or the terminal, two of the walls were replaced by sliding door made of high quality wood and paper, while the remaining walls decorated with a slightly more luxurious set of traditional decorations. The lighting was quite sufficient in the room, both thanks to the soft illumination from the ceiling, and from the archaic oil lamps by the corners. The armed maidens were the only guards in here, with two guarding each of the four corners, while four additional ones stood at the opposite side of the door, flanking a bamboo curtain that seemed to isolate a small compartment from the rest of the room.

A shadow of a relatively miniscule human could be seen sitting just behind the screen, as it seemed to be giving orders to one of the maidens, who relayed its greetings to the Radiatians in probably the most traditional and archaic way possible in the Radiatian language. “You have travelled far for your visit to the Imperial realm. His Most Serene Majesty wishes to express his gratitude for such an undertaking as a great leader like you, lord president Fyoderov of the peoples of Radiatia, and his followers.”

“As the honourable guest for His Most Serene Majesty and his Empire—” The translation from the maiden was interrupted by the shadow behind the curtain, which seemed to be giving another order that she was rather unwilling to undergo. Reluctantly, she bowed to the shadow with a rather steep angle, before relaying the order to her colleagues. After a brief scan towards the guests, they bowed to them as well, before retreating behind the sliding doors one by one. Once the last servant had left the room and the sliding door seal shut, the curtain was opened from the inside, revealing the person behind it.

He was a young, mid-teenager boy, with a complexion slightly lighter complexion than the dominant race of the Empire, although not to the point it might suggest him being more similar to another race. Although younger and slightly shorter than Zoe, he seemed to be quite healthy and toned. On the other hand, his skin was clearly well-cared and unworked, which, mixed with some faint application of cosmetics and powders, giving him quite a feminine appearance—to the point one might need to examine a lot more carefully to find out his sex if not for the fact the vast majority of Noctur knew his occupation and thus gender.

The clothes and garments on his body were obviously quite cumbersome. Although derived from the usual, traditional Tuthinan clothes, it appeared to to have multiple layers of them overlapping with each other, each decorated by their own set of accessories. The main garment, as Gregori could see, consist of a black upper clothes and a bright red lower clothes, which was a mixture between trouser and dress due to it covering the entire lower body of the teenager. On it there was a myriad of decorations and symbols that few outside the Empire remembered, let alone telling their nature and symbolism, although the white personal emblem of the Emperor against the black clothes could be seen easily.

On top of it there was a robe, even looser in order to cover all the garments beneath it without risking disturbing the carefully-dressed clothes. The robe lacked many decorations unlike the ones it covered, and appeared to be in a tone very similar to ochre, but with a very faint hint of red mixed within. It was said that this particular colour was extremely difficult to be dyed consistently due to the need to strike a balance between more than a dozen ingredients, ranging from the core of sappanwood, bark of an indigenous breed of poison ivy, to ash and even some breed of mold. As a result, it was said that only few dye houses were able to produce it in a consistent manner, and even then every robe of this colour was said to be unique due to the minute difference in method between the masters. The complex composition of the dye was said to resemble those used on banknotes to prevent counterfeiting, as it had a unique reflection of colour under sunlight that no other dye could imitate—which was apparently one of the most serious crimes in the Empire, and could result in mass execution if one was caught wearing clothes of the same colour.

Despite many languages used the word “crown” to refer to anything pertaining to monarchy, the Emperor, like his predecessors, did not have a crown or other headgear in his elaborate garments. Unlike many of his predecessor, though, his hair was not plaited or coiled into a bun, instead the long, black hair was allowed to flow softly from his head behind his body, ending at around the thighs. The mixture between the foreign garments, androgynous appearance and a hairstyle usually associated with female in many cultures, one started to realise that a certain Radiatian movie making the Emperor incumbent secretly a woman might make more sense than it intended. Likewise, after retracting the curtain completely, he gave a surprisingly soft smile to the Radiatians.

There was another servant standing behind him, far away from the curtain enough to not cast a shadow on the curtain. She seemed to be in her early twenties, and was wearing a surprisingly plain, black Tuthinan clothes, with only a few white and yellow linings as decorations. Her hair, probably as long as her master’s, was properly plaited behind her, but not wrapped into a bun like the others they had seen before. Despite the archaic attire, she was carrying a tablet computer with her. Upon making eye contact, she gave a quick bow to the guest before resuming her role as a servant of the Emperor.
Call me Reno.

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:03 pm

“The Radiatian would happily step over the dead body of his own mother to get what he desires. He will act with sometimes brutal efficiency, woe betide you should you attempt to stand between a Radiatian and his goal.”
- Leroy Harrows, "The Great Northern Land: A Study of Radiatian Exceptionalism"

Ateko maintained her smile as the expected guest tasted the Tuthinan beverage while emptying another glass herself. Although it seemed that she was not entirely aware of any problem of Zoe taking a shot, she appeared to be intrigued by the interaction between the two. “We certainly hope to see our beverage and goods becoming more popular outside the Imperial realm. For such, I wish your success on such… onerous endeavour.”

"Onerous is the word indeed," Said the President, taking another sip. "Even if I succeed, there's no saying how I'd be able to get such legislation past a Social Democrat-controlled Senate. But that's how we do things in Radiatia - we set our ambitions as high as we can, so that even if we fail we still have achieved a considerable deal."

"Dad, just let me drink some!" Protested Zoe again. "I'm 16... I've been allowed to drink in pubs back home for two years!"

She was right - the state of Jingyurin allowed 14 year olds to drink at bars, but enforced a restriction of 17 years before you could purchase at an off-license. Some Radiatian states had no drinking ages at all.

The President grumbled a little - he was a conservative politician after all, and one who was very protective of his only daughter. Eventually he relented and allowed her to taste the drink.

The topic eventually shifted to that of history - which was a little unfortunate for the President as his knowledge of history consisted of things he had read on internet encyclopaedias and lines from speeches that were written for him by members of his staff.

“Indeed the Empire had a deep relationship with the land of the Chiridian people for a long time, and if our knowledge on Cischiridiology are reliable, then it is quite likely that one of the people originated from the others, or at least had intensive cultural exchange with them," Said Ateko. "The same seems to be true for the people of Honadura as I had heard.”

"I would have to take your word for it, I'm afraid," Said Gregori with a small laugh. "Chiridia is ancient history to us, and it's not something I ever studied in depth. I was more of a geography buff than a history buff."

“If you may pardon our ignorance, our people have always been baffled by the way your people treat the nature that gave birth to your peoples, for it can be argued that the stereotype of us treating the nature as something akin to our mother is quite true.” Said Ateko.

Gregori smiled at this - he found the question to be fascinating and it was a matter which intrigued him too.

"Well, a lot of that comes down to geography, and the effect that it's had on our respective cultures. Here in Tuthina if you plant a seed, it grows, and the people dwell in a pleasant, fertile and nourishing environment, and as such they feel a connection to this environment, an affinity if you will.

"By contrast if you plant a seed in Radiatia, it will probably die in the dust, or freeze in the winter, and if it does grow you'll be lucky to get more than perhaps a cactus or some corn. Nature in Radiatia seems to be actively trying to kill us - the land is barren, summers are scorching, winters are freezing and for centuries humans simply couldn't survive in such a harsh landscape.

"As such our culture is one in which we view nature as an adversary that must be conquered, and industry as the triumph of man over nature.

"Of course, being Radiatians with a love of excess we have taken things too far... to a point where now we are doing damage to the world which my administration is currently trying to reverse."

It wasn't long before they arrived at their destination - a particularly ornate building the likes of which simply had no comparison in the Radiatian Federation. Which made the experience all the more richer for those in the President's party.

“Please do not mind them.” Ateko remarked of the guards they passed, before they stopped in front of a pair of doors. “We will see each other very soon, but now you will have an audience.”

Then, with a bow, the entire Tuthinan escort retreated to the side. Before leaving, though, the silent minister looked at Gregori and opened his mouth. “As the honourable guests of His Most Serene Majesty, you are exempted from the formal greeting or restrictions for the audience. Please refrain from abusing such privileges.”

Gregori and Isaac nodded at him, as if to say silently "We assure you we have no intention of abusing these privileges."

With some callings from the classical Tuthinan language, the two maidens guarding the door slowly opened it, and revealed the interior to the Radiatians.

It was likely that nowhere in Radiatia contained a building designed in such a luxurious way - and certainly not in that particular style. Even the swankiest of swanky hotels still contained a sense of having rolled off a factory line, rather than the room they were standing in which was clearly the handiwork of thousands of talented artists and architects, perhaps over years far outnumbering those for which the land today known as Radiatia had been inhabited.

A shadow of a relatively minuscule human could be seen sitting just behind the screen, as it seemed to be giving orders to one of the maidens, who relayed its greetings to the Radiatians in probably the most traditional and archaic way possible in the Radiatian language. “You have travelled far for your visit to the Imperial realm. His Most Serene Majesty wishes to express his gratitude for such an undertaking as a great leader like you, lord president Fyoderov of the peoples of Radiatia, and his followers.”

The President took a few moments to soak up what had just been said. While he knew that the Tuthinans were simply using terms that they understood to describe his position, oh how he longed for it to be strictly accurate.

'Great leader...'

'Lord President...'

'His followers...'

Oh to be the lord of all Radiatia, and with followers... perhaps even his own Imperial cult... that was the fantasy which, in his most private moments, Gregori had entertained himself with all his life. It brought him a pleasure greater than any erotica and yet he was forced to keep it secret, something more private than the most bizarre sexual fetishes of his.

It was this longing for power that kept him going, day by day, striving to rise up the political career ladder, struggling even after his harrowing election loss in LET 44 to continue in politics, to bide his time until finally...

Until finally even a nation considered Radiatia's enemy recognised him as the lord of Radiatia.

“As the honourable guest for His Most Serene Majesty and his Empire—” The translation from the maiden was interrupted by the shadow behind the curtain, which seemed to be giving another order that she was rather unwilling to undergo. Reluctantly, she bowed to the shadow with a rather steep angle, before relaying the order to her colleagues. After a brief scan towards the guests, they bowed to them as well, before retreating behind the sliding doors one by one. Once the last servant had left the room and the sliding door seal shut, the curtain was opened from the inside, revealing the person behind it.

The Emperor was not someone widely recognised by appearance in Radiatia, given how rarely he was known to appear on film.

As such even the President was a little caught off guard when he discovered how young he was - even Rowan di-Amori of Nui-ta was older than this kid, this kid with access to nuclear weapons.

So many conflicting emotions - surprise, yes, but also a sense that it explained so much about Tuthina - it was run by a kid!

But also in there was burning envy, for as a young man being bullied in school for his appearance and accent and the fact that his father had died in war, Gregori had dreamed of being an emperor or a godlike figure, someone revered and respected and with the power to crush his enemies.

This kid was living Gregori's boyhood dream. This kid was him in another life.

Suffice to say, he did not say any of this. As a man who had spent more than half his life in politics, he knew how to smile and hide his feelings.

So instead what he did was smile as widely as he could and put out his hand.

"Your Majesty, it is my deepest privilege to finally meet you face to face." He said.
Last edited by Radiatia on Sun Sep 22, 2013 11:13 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Tuthina
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Mon Sep 23, 2013 9:57 pm

“The Tuthinan Empire is, paradoxically, simultaneously the pioneer, most enthusiastic proponent and firmest opponent of globalisation.”
—Giedrius Smilteit, “History of Nocturian Hegemonies”

Ateko raised her eyebrow as Gregori answered her question regarding the vast differences of the views on nature between the two people. In a sense, his answer was both right and wrong. Between the torching tropical region and the frozen arctic region, the Home Islands of the Empire were sitting in what was arguably the most suitable environment for human survival, and perhaps as a result, it also housed one of the most beautiful climate and definitely the most unique collection of flora and fauna not available to the rest of the world. On the other hand, itself consisting a considerable part of the biggest barren land, as well as one of the most industrialised nation in Noctur, the environment of Radiatia was clearly harsh and hostile to say the least.

However, at the same time, perhaps as something the inhabitants of the islands inherited, the mother nature of Tuthina was also a master of disguise and ambiguity.

“That is indeed a very interesting take on the nature that, for better or worse, mothered all people in the entire world.” Ateko smiled at the Radiatian politician as the vehicle slowed down in the parking lot of the assembly hall. As the conversation temporarily drew to a close, the Tuthinan grand princess left a final remark at the last moment. “Though if you might notice, there is more than our reverence to nature that prevented us from leaving the marks of civilisation across the Imperial realm.”

The multitude of garments vested on the young body of the Emperor was, as expected, very cumbersome, possibly enough to make even the most experienced and professional fashion model to stumble from time to time trying to manoeuvre with it on. However, despite having some difficulties getting off the platform he was sitting at, the Emperor seemingly did not have many troubles walking in it, as he slowly made his way to the Radiatian president. While probably slightly taller than average teenagers of his age, the boy was, nevertheless, a boy, and thus he was at least a head shorter than Gregori, making it a rather awkward picture when the two meet each other face by face.

Though he seemed to be slightly confused when Gregori extended his hand, the Emperor quickly realised his intention and followed his action. Possibly defying the image of being an oriental delicacy of the wrong gender, his palm was, while smooth and clearly unworked, surprisingly strong as the Radiatian president noticed. Then, he opened his mouth.

“The honour is all mine.” He said, in a surprisingly fluent and accent-less Radiatian tongue, although not before omitting the rest of the sentence that was probably in classical Tuthinan language, the liturgical language of the Empire that was arguably long dead before Radiatia existed. His voice was young and in a rather high pitch for a boy of his age, but not very unnatural for a girl of similar age, making the imagery even more out of place, especially for someone who had lived under government that required regular speeches from its leader. “We have always been hoping to meet you, lord Gregori Fyoderov.”

“And, of course, milady.” The emperor, after greeting Issac and the other Radiatians present in a similar manner, turned to Zoe, half-jokingly giving her a bow in a style not unlike a (foreign) gentleman to a lady, before gently raising her hand, and slightly pressing his lips on the back of the hand.

“This was a brief meeting, though, for we recognise this humble hotel is inappropriate for someone important like you to stay long. Instead, if you may, we may resume our audience in our Imperial domain, or as you might be more familiar, the capital of Sakan.” He continued, before giving a small chuckle. “In which we might be able to spend some quality time with you without hindrance from the others. How do you think of our arrangement, milord?”
Last edited by Tuthina on Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:39 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Call me Reno.

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:23 pm

The Radiatians couldn't quite describe the bizarre sense that the boy-Emperor (was he even a boy?) gave them.

On one hand the idea that, all this time, Radiatia's most dangerous adversary had been ruled by some kid who looked barely 12, was a lot to digest. On one hand it made them feel safer, more secure, knowing that their country was the civilised one, run by the adults and the experts. On the other hand, it made Tuthina that much more dangerous, this nuclear-armed nation insane enough to appoint a little boy, who looked like a little girl, as its head of state.

But they weren't here to judge. Isaac Lichtenberg had seen to that during the lengthy briefings he gave before the trip. This was their country, their culture and their right to do as they pleased.

It was impossible to tell by looking at him whether or not Gregori was unfazed, as he kept his smile as charming as ever, and all in all he genuinely did feel honoured to be meeting the mysterious Emperor of the mysterious isle.

Zoe shot the Emperor a seductive wink as he kissed her on the hand.

"Such a gentleman!" She blurted out, mentally comparing him to the uncouth Radiatian oafs which usually made passes at her in high school.

He wasn't the type she usually went for - she tended to shun the weirdoes in favour of the more traditional athletic types - but this guy had real power, making him attractive, and not only that Aaron from the school baseball team hadn't bothered to call her all summer...

As if reading her mind, the President stepped in and tapped her on the shoulder, not hard enough to be called a slap, but hard enough to get the message across that she was not in Tuthina to get a new boyfriend - and to remind her that this was a boy who was one of the most powerful figures in all of Noctur.

“This was a brief meeting, though, for we recognise this humble hotel is inappropriate for someone important like you to stay long. Instead, if you may, we may resume our audience in our Imperial domain, or as you might be more familiar, the capital of Sakan.” Said the Emperor, before giving a small chuckle. “In which we might be able to spend some quality time with you without hindrance from the others. How do you think of our arrangement, milord?”

"This arrangement suits us perfectly, your majesty," Said Gregori in a deep, throaty voice which contrasted almost perfectly with the Emperor's high-pitched voice. "I trust you and your people to take care of us, and I should also take this opportunity to show my sincere gratitude for your hospitality."

Tuthina
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:35 am

“The denizens of the Empire are content with its totalitarian authority as long as they do not need to follow any of its edicts.”
—A common joke about the Imperial government

“Excellent. We are very glad that Your Excellency is appeased by our humble arrangement, especially compared with the… lavish accommodations your people are known to provide.” The Emperor smiled to the Radiatian president, before giving a slight nod to the guests. Then, he turned to Zoe once more, giving her another archaic bow before returning to the comfort alcove he was resting in before. The lone servant, while never left the corner she was in the whole time, was apparently working on the tablet computer carried on her wrist. In the context of the Radiatian leader, her role would probably be the Emperor’s secretary. Judging by the expression she was trying to conceal, she probably did not understand the Radiatian tongue. Perhaps because of that, the Tuthinan duo made a brief exchange, possibly regarding the conversation. “Once again, we apologise for not being able to entertain our guest and such a fair lady—for otherwise our diplomatic protocols would require accommodations that might be deemed excessive.”

“We shall meet again.” With a nod to his aide, the servant reached for the robe of the curtain and lowered it, concealing the Emperor once more. The sliding doors were soon opened once again, and all but two of the armed maidens resumed to their position quickly. The remaining two passed through their original position and slowly opened the doorway for the guests. With a bow, they silently escorted them outside the audience room. It was unknown if that was part of the requirement, but all of the maidens were rather young and attractive, or at least appeared to be so. However, there was not a single expression of emotion on their face, only the somewhat frozen professional expression that Gregori might be familiar with some of his own guards. This, combined with the high contrast provided by the black and red garment, granted them a bit more authority and awe than, say the daughter of the President. True to their impression, they seemed to be determined to keep interaction with everyone else to a bare minimum, until they returned to the limousine parked outside the assembly hall, where Ateko was already waiting inside with an emptied bottle. Unlike the previous encounter, though, the quiet minister was no longer present. Soon after they were seated once again, the Tuthinan motorcade slowly launched towards its next destination.

“I see you have met His Most Serene Majesty… my younger brother.” Ateko conjured another bottle of beverage and served it to her guests once more. Her face was blushing slightly, and under its influence the already elegant noblewoman seemed to become a bit more attractive. However, said influence was apparently not enough to affect anything beyond her appearance, as she served the beverage to her guests with the same trained hands as before.

“Despite the advance of mass media, many people from within and without the Empire still did not have the privilege of seeing His face, let alone having a conversation. Many of them are also surprised, or confused by the fact that the autocrat of one of the most powerful nations in Noctur is a callow boy who would still be drinking from the breasts.” The princess took a brief stop to enjoy yet another shot of the clean Tuthinan wine, as she made a seductive wink to the Fyoderovs. “It would be better to refrain from saying that to others, though, for the safety of us all.”

“The Emperor’s convoy is making its way to the train station not far away from here, as are we. Once we arrive, we will be taking the high-speed railway directly to the Imperial capital, as it would not be appropriate for the honoured guest of the Emperor to be disrespected by usual traffic turmoil.” The high-speed railway system of Tuthina was not unheard of—in fact, it was among the first to develop such a system, both as a mean to stimulate economic growth after the devastating civil war, and to quickly transport a large amount of passengers and cargo across the Home Islands—such as military personnel and the heavy armaments that would be greeting anyone who managed to sail across thousands of miles of the ravaging ocean. Among these national railway networks, the route connecting the ends of the Mizuho metropolis was one of the first to be opened for civilian use, and had served billions of commuters since its opening decades ago. What was not known, though, was that the line did not end at the city of Kawa'uti, as an extension led it directly to the Imperial capital further north. To avoid any potential abuse of such an open avenue leading directly to the heart of the Empire, it was kept as a secret by a combination of eternal maintenance of several buildings, and the same concealment into natural elements that the Radiatians had witnessed in the airport.

“Before our arrival, though, I will be responsible for your entertainment, milord and milady.” Ateko emptied the shot glass again, several more times after the others stopped bothering to count. Half-jokingly, she gave a seductive smile to her guests, as it seemed the influence of alcohol was skin-deep at best. Then again, one of the stereotypes of Tuthinan upper class was their unabashed lasciviousness due to their religion seeing it in a rather positive light. “After all, sharing a table with the God-Emperor might not be as entertaining as one would prefer.”
Call me Reno.

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Sat Sep 28, 2013 9:47 pm

“If a politician hasn't cheated on his wife at least once, you suspect he may be a closet homosexual.”
— You know you're from Radiatia, when...

“Excellent. We are very glad that Your Excellency is appeased by our humble arrangement, especially compared with the… lavish accommodations your people are known to provide.” Said the Emperor.

"Oh don't you worry about us," Said Gregori with a smile, in a slightly folksy manner which contrasted from the Emperor's much more formal speech. "Everything I have seen here has been incredibly impressive, far more impressive in many ways than back home. Radiatia is all smoke and mirrors, plastic and fake... you guys are the real deal."

It was true, and it was a major difference that Gregori noticed.

While in Tuthina things were made to look natural and unsophisticated, while incredible works of engineering were hidden below - the airport being a prime example - Radiatia was often the opposite, with everything designed to dazzle and look impressive - bright lights, giant skyscrapers - but had a tendency to be either fake or massively over-hyped. Voluptuous Radiatian women were all products of the cosmetic surgery industry. Trees lining streets in upmarket suburbs of major cities were all made of plastic, while famous neon signs had in recent times been blaring from buildings which were empty following the recession of the late LET 40s.

“Once again, we apologise for not being able to entertain our guest and such a fair lady—for otherwise our diplomatic protocols would require accommodations that might be deemed excessive.”

"Oh you don't need to apologise, Your Majesty; the very fact that I have been permitted, after all these years of distrust between our respective nations, to step foot of Tuthinan soil is an honour in and of itself greater than anything ever bestowed upon me before," Said Gregori before adding jokingly: "Anyway - I'm Radiatian. I've seen enough excess to last me more than a lifetime."

“We shall meet again.” Said the Emperor, before the Radiatians were ushered out and back to the motorcade, with Gregori, Isaac and Zoe all feeling somewhat silent and subdued, aware simultaneously that they had just participated in one of the most world-changing meetings of recent history, and yet dumbfounded that all along Tuthina had been ruled by a child.

They barely looked at the guards, being used to emotionless displays partly due to their experiences with the Radiatian equivalents and mainly because, in a country where efficiency is valued, outward displays of emotion tended not to be and as such blank faces were commonplace in the federation.

All were lost in their own thoughts - Isaac quietly calculating what the Emperor's youth, and their knowledge of his youth, could mean for future Radiatian-Tuthinan relations and how best to ensure a positive outcome; Zoe contemplating if perhaps this emperor of her own age might make a promising sexual or even romantic partner; Gregori fantasising about how much his approval ratings might soar once the Radiatian media gets hold of the fact that he, Gregori Maynard Fyoderov, was now the first President in history to meet directly with the Emperor of Tuthina.

“I see you have met His Most Serene Majesty… my younger brother.” Said Ateko as they re-entered the motorcade.

It was clear she was what could be colloquially described as tipsy, although she remained skilled at serving the alcoholic beverages, in a way reminding the player behind Radiatia - a man who works in a bar, is known for his drunkenness, and who occasionally goes to work drunk - of his own abilities to serve drinks while drunk himself; a skill almost as acute as his ability to ruin roleplays through sudden outbursts of metawriting for which he apologises.

“Despite the advance of mass media, many people from within and without the Empire still did not have the privilege of seeing His face, let alone having a conversation. Many of them are also surprised, or confused by the fact that the autocrat of one of the most powerful nations in Noctur is a callow boy who would still be drinking from the breasts.” Continued the Princess as they all drank Tuthinan wine. “It would be better to refrain from saying that to others, though, for the safety of us all.”

"Oh I'm sure he's not the only major Nocturian leader with a fondness for breasts..." Quipped President Fyoderov, himself starting to fall under the wine's influence, causing Isaac to nearly have a heart attack at the inappropriateness of the joke, while Zoe broke into uncontrollable giggles.

“The Emperor’s convoy is making its way to the train station not far away from here, as are we. Once we arrive, we will be taking the high-speed railway directly to the Imperial capital, as it would not be appropriate for the honoured guest of the Emperor to be disrespected by usual traffic turmoil.” Explained Princess Ateko as the trip continued.

While little was known about Tuthina by the outside world, their high-speed rail system was of course well-known and well respected - with Radiatia's famous Overland modelled on Tuthina's system, albeit with a considerably greater distance to traverse.

"Well I must say, I am flattered," Said Gregori. "Not even my home country has the courtesy to spare me from traffic, and believe me traffic in Xerconia is certainly not an aspect of Radiatia that I'm entirely proud of."

As the drinks came, Fyoderov's tongue was becoming looser and looser - while he was joking more and more, not entirely inappropriately, but enough to make the teetotal Isaac Lichtenberg begin to sweat, and to hope that Gregori would not forget the years of diplomatic training he had had.

Or perhaps the President knows what he's doing. He thought.

“Before our arrival, though, I will be responsible for your entertainment, milord and milady.” Ateko said before giving the President a strangely seductive wink. “After all, sharing a table with the God-Emperor might not be as entertaining as one would prefer.”

While it was possible she may have been joking, sarcasm and irony was not on the forefront of the Radiatian psyche, given the culture was all about efficiency, and that therefore it was expected that 'X means X" as opposed to "X implies Y".

While Isaac - who was not only a trained diplomat but as someone who was born and raised in Crata and therefore had full awareness of other cultures - was soberly trying to read between the lines of the Princess's complex speech to discern the jokes from the serious matters (and the subtle hints peppered throughout her conversation), President Fyoderov had by this point had too much to drink, and had been too long in the company of a beautiful woman, a woman who contrasted from his once-attractive-now-fat-and-ugly wife.

He tried to frame it as another joke, but part of him was serious when he said, "What are you implying, Princess? That we should perhaps go to one of the bedrooms and have ourselves some 'diplomatic relations' ...?"

Tuthina
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Sun Sep 29, 2013 8:07 am

“The Tuthinan people call the secular world ‘uki(-no-)yo’. Literally ‘fleeting world’, it embodies the idea of hedonism perfectly, as it suggests such transient stay in the mortal coil should not be wasted in monasticism.”

Ateko raised an eyebrow in interest as Gregori implied his positive view on human breasts—either that, or the struggled expression of Isaac, or the uncontrollable giggles from the President's daughter. Unlike in many cultures, where open appreciation of many physical characteristics of human body, be it male or female, was discouraged for “public decency” or similar moral reasons, the Tuthinan culture did not have such taboo. While careless and sudden intimate actions that would cause discomfort for the receiving side was still condemned, the very fact that the state religion of the Empire—the weaver of the moral fabric of the Tuthinan society—saw human body in its natural status as something sacred and to be cherished said a lot on the view of its denizens regarding sexuality in general. Naturally, the need to rule a vast colonial empire for centuries, even a full millennium, meant that the sophisticated diplomats of the realm noticed such differences between cultures.

However, if anything, that was precisely the reason why most Tuthinan diplomats, as well as personnel responsible for conducting foreign affairs in general, were females that defy the foreign ideas on morality in the first place. Some believe it was the stubborn and somewhat chauvinistic nature of the Empire that made them deliberately offend others in order to prove its unique characters; while some others believe that, combined with the fact that many foreign diplomats and rulers were male, meant a so-called lascivious, yet sophisticated noblewoman would be able to “persuade” them better, and thus yielding better result than one’s male counterpart. From there, many had said, jokingly or otherwise, the Tuthinan Empire was the first nation to weaponise honey trapping.

“At least for our people, such fondness is considered only natural. After all, every single human in the world are begotten by one’s motherly figure, and is the breasts not the perfect embodiment of such a sacred relationship?” Ateko said, despite her fully aware of what the Radiatian president implied in his words. That said, the Tuthinan princess was not, at least in Radiatian standard, voluptuous. While one’s nature usually play a role in it, the traditional view on women’s body also affect it a lot: contrary to the land beyond the vast blue ocean, a slim figure was considered fashionable, and thus women often actively suppressed their mammaries with long strips of cloth to fit such view.

“Of course, while the stereotype of our people saying ‘revere the Emperor’ at every possible moment was greatly exaggerated, we do hold a similar view. As you are the honourable guests of His Most Serene Majesty, such reverence naturally extends accordingly.” The princess answered with a smile, perhaps as a response to the President’s joking attitude. Despite what would be described as the perfect formula for a diplomatic incident, the Tuthinans seem not to mind it very much, for better or worse. “Besides, our people do not have ownership of as many private vehicles as your people, for many do not consider it a worthwhile investment due to the insular nature of many of our settlements.”

Despite the somewhat flattering overtone that the Radiatian diplomatic team had been surrounded during their entire stay in the Empire, the rationale of Ateko was very true, as not many people in Tuthina owned any sort of private vehicles. One of the biggest reasons of that was that because most settlements were scattered across the thousands of islands that formed the Home Islands, with many settlements occupying the majority of the island, land-based vehicles were not terribly effective in travel between then, while water-based ones were often beyond the financial capability of commoners. Another reason, though, was that the huge divide between the poor and the rich in the Empire, something caused by the very nature of the Imperial economic and social system, meant many were not able to afford one, especially given the higher maintenance fee the omnipresent electric vehicles across the realm. The fact that they had not encountered many cars on their way seemed to support it, as most other vehicles were either for mass transit or freight.

After a few turn to the other side of the hill within which the airport was concealed, the train station mentioned by the noblewoman was in sight. Similar to virtually every single building they had seen in the Empire, it was built in the same hybrid between modern and traditional architecture, with entire platforms covered by the sloped tile roof and exterior walls decorated to make it resemble wooden planks that built numerous houses across the realm for millennia. At the same time, though, modern glass windows and gates at the grand entrance could also been seen, suggesting the rather recent construction and the use of modern technology. Like the airport entrance, there was a clock tower above the building, with the current time displayed towards all four directions. What was not as expected, though, was that the numberless clock did not display the same time as one’s watch even after adjusting it to the (unofficial) Tuthinan time zone.

“What sort of answer do you prefer, milord? As long as the guests of the Emperor are appeased, we servants of His will be glad to undergo.” As time for this brief conversation untimely ran out, Ateko furthered her suggestive tone as the Radiatian President became less subtle on his desire and lust, though maintaining the same proper sitting posture as usual. While her eyes mostly maintained contact with his eyes, she did make a quick glance to both Isaac and Zoe, perhaps suggesting her awareness of his action not being entirely in tone with whatever moral fabric that was supposed to cover all three of them, as well as several hundreds of millions of Radiatian people, as well as how the two would react to such actions. The emotion in her mind was not contempt, though. Rather, she was rather interested in the idea of furthering it without getting either of them into more troubles than it would worth.

Soon, the limousine was parked in front of the main gate of the train station, at which the Radiatians were once again escorted from the cabin and into the building. It was obvious that the entire station was reserved for them today, as no other customers could be seen around, instead replaced by several more guards, although not as numerous as the Radiatian counterpart, as well as servants and officials who were busy preparing everything the Emperor and his guests would need during the journey.

After passing through the gate, the Radiatians arrived at the main platform of the station. Despite the apparent lack of any artificial source of illumination, the lighting across the platforms was more than sufficient. This was because while the outermost slope of the roof was made of common, if high-quality tiles, the inner roofs were instead dominated by glass panels. Combined with the unique architectural design of the interior of the station, even the warm sunlight of late winter was enough to provide lightings that would otherwise require numerous lights.

The train they would be aboard was already waiting by the platform. Colloquially referred to as a “bullet train”, the high speed railway of the Empire featured a streamlined, minimalistic and somewhat futuristic appearance, almost as if it was a spaceship ready to break free from the constraints of the gravity of the planet, and to soar across the vast ocean of the stars. Made with a light yet sturdy alloy, the surface of the train was smooth and flawless, with doors and windows specifically made into a curve to fit the shell perfectly. Similar to the airport terminal and the hotel, the train station and the train itself was decorated by the emblem of the Empire—the more observant guests would start to recognise the implication of their presence by this point.

The train itself was around eight to ten cars long, with the main passenger car located around the middle of the train. The train was probably specifically made and assembled to serve someone as important as the Emperor, the high nobility and their guests only, as it apparently only had one passenger car, with the remaining ones being either dinner train car, restrooms for the servants, even armoured security cars that were supposedly filled by guards and their armament.

The interior of the main rail car was very similar to the rooms of the kaikan in design and spirit. However, perhaps due to the nature of the train, foreign tables and chairs, all made of high-quality wood and decorated with elaborate carvings and accessories were present, making it not unlike a particularly narrow salon. Similarly, while the walls were decorated in traditional Tuthinan style, giving a rather calming pastel pink tone, it was also decorated by various paintings, ranging from the Tuthinan ink brush painting to foreign painting styles. Beyond a folding screen, the Emperor could be seen already seated beside a rather large window, smiling as he gave a nod to the arriving guests. The secretary could be seen sitting at the other side of the cabin, alone in front of a smaller table, working on her tablet computer as usual. However, instead of carrying it, the computer was laid on the table, seemingly on a stand to provide a more comfortable use. On closer glance, though, she was not using a stand. The computer apparently was folded into a tablet computer before, but it was then unfolded by pushing the screen towards one side and up, revealing the ubiquitous keyboard beneath. In a rather ingenious design brilliance, the unfolded form of it was exactly like a small laptop computer, making it usable on both wrist and table alike without the awkward feeling in either case.

“And thus we meet again.” The Emperor said, pointing to the empty chairs at the other side of the table, while his elder sister occupied the seat beside him.
Call me Reno.

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Wed Oct 02, 2013 8:09 pm

“Be whoever you want to be. Do whatever you want to do. Radiatia is a huge country and we have room for any type of person.”
—Keldon Silviu, 5th President of the Radiatian Federation

“At least for our people, such fondness is considered only natural. After all, every single human in the world are begotten by one’s motherly figure, and is the breasts not the perfect embodiment of such a sacred relationship?” Ateko said, despite her fully aware of what the Radiatian president implied in his words.

Ateko's words sent a sudden chill through Gregori, as he thought of his 92 year old mother, back home in Radiatia, and what she might think of his efforts in Tuthina. His mother was the only woman he had ever truly loved - for even the relationship with his wife was one which had began with lust and continued only for convenience.

“Of course, while the stereotype of our people saying ‘revere the Emperor’ at every possible moment was greatly exaggerated, we do hold a similar view. As you are the honourable guests of His Most Serene Majesty, such reverence naturally extends accordingly.”

"Well I should hope that one thing we can learn from each other as a result of this visit is that most stereotypes are inaccurate. Just as not all Tuthinans spend all day worshipping and revering their Emperor, nor is it true that all Radiatians are uneducated, burger-eating yokels." Said Gregori.

“Besides, our people do not have ownership of as many private vehicles as your people, for many do not consider it a worthwhile investment due to the insular nature of many of our settlements.”

Gregori nodded, understanding.

"Believe or not, the same was once true in Radiatia. I was a teenager when communism ended, but back then only high-ranking officials in the communist party were permitted to own automobiles, the rest of us were forced to use mass transit, assuming we were permitted to move at all," Said Gregori, although he paused briefly hoping that the final line of his sentence - which was not intended as a barb at the expense of Tuthina - would not be interpreted as such. "Needless to say this was not efficient. The rise of the automobile I think reflects the individualistic nature of Radiatian culture - the idea that anyone can go anywhere and the romanticism of the endless highway. But of course I understand that highways in Tuthina have a tendency to end quite quickly, or at least become very wet once one reaches the edge of their island."

As such, to the younger members of the party - especially Zoe - the relative absence of traffic seemed unusual, while to the older members, who still vaguely remembered life under communism, it instead brought back memories. Of course, the silence of the electric motors was certainly unusual as far as all of the Radiatians were concerned.

Finally they reached the train station, although by this point the President was almost drunk and he had apparently begun flirting with the Princess.

“What sort of answer do you prefer, milord? As long as the guests of the Emperor are appeased, we servants of His will be glad to undergo.”

"Well... as warm as Tuthina is, given that Xerconia is in the middle of the desert, and that summer only just ended... I'm used to hotter nights. I'll consider asking your good self for a favour should I find my sleeping conditions to be too cold..." Said Gregori.

He was being unusually cryptic for a Radiatian, who were known to be much more direct about these matters given their affinity for efficiency. Like Tuthina, there was no morality governing whether or not he could sleep with whoever he wanted, for in fact Radiatia was well-known for its hedonism and amorality.

But the cryptic speech came partially due to him being a politician - it had become second nature to him not to state exactly what he was thinking in order to later cover hs tracks should an event not end in his favour - and partially because he was with his daughter and was not sure whether Zoe would perhaps use this as ammunition against him later on, given his already fragile marriage to the first lady.

Radiatians were not prudes when it came to such pleasures, but nor were they adverse to blackmailing people in any way in order to gain what they wanted. Patricia Fyoderov had made clear that she did not approve of Gregori using his 'Executive Privilege' to gain himself mistresses, and therefore Zoe could easily blackmail him with the threat of telling his wife if she knew directly of the President's infidelity.

Soon, the limousine was parked in front of the main gate of the train station, at which the Radiatians were once again escorted from the cabin and into the building. It was obvious that the entire station was reserved for them today, as no other customers could be seen around, instead replaced by several more guards, although not as numerous as the Radiatian counterpart, as well as servants and officials who were busy preparing everything the Emperor and his guests would need during the journey.

The Radiatians were led to the train, which while not entirely different to the Radiatian Overland - which was a hi-speed train simply out of necessity, given Radiatia's enormous size, although the interior was far more ornate and well-decorated, as opposed to what even on a first class Radiatian train would simply be functional.

The walls were colourful and painted tastefully, rather than white and covered in advertising as would be the case in Radiatia, and everything seemed rounded and carefully designed, rather than square as if it had been carelessly mass produced at some factory by an inattentive underpaid worker.

Gregori, Zoe and Isaac - being the three most important people on this journey, marvelled at the interior until finally they saw the Emperor.

“And thus we meet again.” The Emperor said, pointing to the empty chairs at the other side of the table, while his elder sister occupied the seat beside him.

The three sat opposite him, as the train began to move and the Tuthinan country-side - so much greener than anything in any part of Radiatia - went by outside.

Gregori nodded at Isaac, and the Foreign Affairs Minister produced his own briefcase, containing his own laptop as well as some papers. Naturally, the Radiatian built laptop was larger and much less aesthetically pleasing - although the country produced all sorts of laptops, most of which were designed not in Radiatia, but usually by companies based in Crata and Poldania.

"Your Majesty, I hope you will agree with us that it would be most efficient to use this opportunity to discuss official business, or at least to begin to discuss those matters which affect the people we both rule and the bilateral relationship between us.

"As you know, it is the genuine desire of the Radiatian Federation to seek closer diplomatic and economic relations with the Most Serene Empire," Said the President. He wasn't lying - it was generally considered inefficient to do so. "It is our desire to, in order to further the prospect of a Noctur-wide peace, or at least reduce the risk of mutually assured destruction.

"And we know, as became evident during the Tressian Gulf War, that the Empire does in fact share with Radiatia a similar sense that peace is preferable to war, and that dangerous regimes like that in Segland needed to be shut down, not for ideological reasons but because they pose a danger to human life and existence.

"Therefore we have devised a number of proposals which may or may not be to your pleasure, in order to build a bridge of understanding across the Oriens Ocean."

The President looked to Isaac Lichtenberg, who took over.

The Foreign Minister produced an A4 document, and read from the list.

"It is proposed by the Radiatian Federation that the following occurs in order to deepen co-operation and strengthen relations with the Empire of Tuthina:
  • The establishment of formal diplomatic ties and a diplomatic mission in both countries, spearheaded by an Ambassador.
  • The establishment of a hotline directly between the Emperor of Tuthina and the President of the Radiatian Federation in order to alleviate any potential future diplomatic incident and prevent it from escalating.
  • An educational exchange programme in which one thousand students from each nation spend time in each nation every year, in order to help our citizens to understand the cultural differences."

"These ideas would be just the beginning," Said the President. "Ideally we would like to begin negotiations in regards to trade and commerce, as well as on nuclear non-proliferation. And while we understand that such an agreement could never be forged overnight, it is hoped at least that we can agree to consider it and consider the wider benefits our co-operation would bring to Noctur as a whole."

Tuthina
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Thu Oct 03, 2013 4:31 pm

“Like all nations, the Tuthinan people has its fair share of skeletons in the cupboard. It is just that they have millennia of time and experience to refine their sophistication.”

“Of course, Lord President. As you—and your fair maiden—might understand or otherwise, nights in the northern part of the Empire can be very long and cold.” As Gregori continued the cryptic conversation between him and the princess, Ateko once again gave him a suggestive smile, while maintaining the usual, if even stereotypical, ambiguity in her words. It had been said that any Tuthinan diplomat worth its salt was trained, even conditioned to speak in every rhetoric known to the civilised world, making it extremely difficult, if not outright impossible to determine one’s true stance without context or subtle body gestures. While partially based on the high regard to such sophistication by the Tuthinan civilisation, it also had a practical use for the insidious discourse known as Tuthinan politics—by making it impossible to determine one’s true meaning, it shelters one from being prosecuted, even executed for treason or scheming, while allowing one to undergo such endeavour with its equals. Naturally, that also meant conducting diplomacy, even ordinary business deals with the Tuthinan without professional aide to be more painful than half of the creative Tuthinan torture methods man had even known.

“If you may, then I will be glad to show you how our people keep ourselves warm in the long boreal nights.” Rhetoric aside, it was true that the northern part of the Empire was known for its extreme variance in the length of day due to its high latitude—while the southern end of the Home Islands extended slightly beyond the Northern tropic, its northern end was able to compete with Eldura[url] and [url=http://iiwiki.com/wiki/Polaris_(Radiatia)]Polaris for the home of the northernmost permanent settlement in Noctur, with the Imperial capital of Sakan resting around the parallel 53° north, coincidentally very close to its Radiatian counterpart. With the longest night occupying more than two-third of a day, and a temperature that could plummet well below freezing point, what the princess referred to could be more than mere a choice, but a necessity to survive a long cold night. With what seemed to be an invitation for that, Ateko winked to the Radiatian president—along with his daughter and the beleaguered minister—before leaving for the train.

As soon as the guests from Radiatia was seated, the sliding doors of the rail car sealed themselves shut with the expected Tuthinan silence and swiftness. It took but a few seconds for the power to flow across the train, and then it steadily but increasingly gained momentum. The scenery outside the smooth window soon changed from the platform populated by the servants of the Emperor—all of them temporarily stopping their work to give a deep bow towards the general direction of the train—to the mixture of pale and lush green of the cold countryside of Tuthina. While the serene town they had been in until now was noticeably greener than the majority of Radiatia, the other side of the track, being outside of the town, was even greener for the most part, to the point it could be comparable to virgin land, devoid of human civilisation. However, occasionally, rural roads and cottages dotted around the mountainside once again marked the existence of humanity—the majority of those in Tuthina, in fact—in this foreign land.

They were not the only inhabitants of the western side of the track, though. As the train effortlessly speared the cold air in front of it, the thick vegetation soon gave way to the plains where the metropolis of the Mizuho province was rested. Born of active tectonics, the archipelago was mostly occupied by mountains, with only few patches of plains scattered in between. While this helped the creation of the unique climate and biosphere of the Home Islands, it also meant arable lands were surprisingly scares even with creative usage of the slopes. It also confined the existence and extension of many cities within the Empire, giving the metropolis a rather linear appearance on the map.

The metropolis, formed by the connection between several cities and towns alongside the river and ending at a bay, was the home to more than a dozen of millions of souls, and thus a good deal of the population of the entire Empire. As it was briefly seen before, the prospering city along the river was littered with high-rise buildings, which gradually decrease in height and density as it was removed from the flowing blood of the settlement, with notable exceptions around several spots on the high speed railway network, including the one they were on now. As such, occasionally the Radiatian guests could have a brief peep into the undiscovered country, when their view was not obstructed by noise barriers. Despite their presence in between the tracks and the residential area, the journey had been very quiet and smooth just as expected. While there were probably elements from the stereotypical reverence to the environment, the sheer speed of the vehicle on the track meant any noise—usually created by sudden contact between objects—would imply a great risk of turning this technological marvel into a shared grave of hundreds, if not thousands of people.

Although it was difficult to spot given the sheer distance, the Radiatians, with enough focus, could see a less innocent structure located near the top of several of the higher hills west of the track. Despite the best efforts from the native side, these looming walls of steel still stood out from the vegetation of the mountain slopes. They were home to the beyond-the-horizon radar system of the Empire, suitably posing as the virtual great wall of the realm against foreign intrusions. With an estimated range that covered more than half of Radiatia, it offered enough time to warn the Empire of anything suspiciously similar to ballistic missiles flying towards its general direction. It also offered a sharp, repetitive radio signal to a good deal of the region to the bane of many amateur radio users and broadcasters alike, especially those living in the Empire itself. While the Tuthinan people had not been known for being the most gentle people despite the refined sophistication, the existence of such atrocious roughness still make many feel it was out of place, as if it was built by another people entirely.

When the Radiatian foreign minister, who might be the most “sane” people within this rail car, procured a document and started reading out what the diplomatic team hoped to achieve during their stay, Ateko immediately raised her eyebrow and finally put down the empty glass on her hand after emptying what must be a vast amount of alcohol. Although she maintained the same reserved and smiling appearance, the well-experienced diplomats could easily see the change of her “essence” into a more serious tone. The same was not true for the God-Emperor of all humanity, though, as he retained the same excited look to Isaac as the conversation took a turn to a more official topic.

“Naturally, the Emperor,” Ateko commented, her hand resting on the shoulder of the wide-eyed boy beside her, whom nodded in agreement. “does not wish to see bloodshed, for we believe He is the representative of all humanity, it would not be reasonable for Him to applaud the senseless waste of human life, would it? Besides, His Empire, like all nations and entities in the world, must have a sense of self-preservation in order to continue its survival, and dangerous regimes are not considered to be beneficial to such goal.”

The Emperor, on the other hand, seemed to ponder a bit when the establishment of diplomatic mission and embassy was mentioned, for such idea was foreign to the Tuthinan culture in nature; as the Empire is seen as but the extension of the Emperor, embassy would make as much sense as putting a personal chair in others’ house so one could have a handmaid sitting there all-time. However, due to its necessity unlike the example, there were solutions to rectify such inconsistence between the different diplomatic models. Said idea, though, seemed to have missed the mind of the Emperor entirely as the direct hotline was mentioned.

“We have always hoped to talk to the Lords of other nations for exchange of information of varying degree of importance.” He said with a smile, seemingly unaware of the sense of emergency the use of such direct hotline would bring, which was caringly provided by the grand princess.

“That would be vexatious to the honourable lords of other people, Your Majesty.”

“However—” It appeared that despite being the undisputed ruler of the realm and all humanity though proxy, the God-Emperor of all humanity was of no match for the princess, as he quietly ended his argument upon a smiling glance from her, who quickly took over the initiative. Although the very idea was probably blasphemy in the laws of the theocratic Empire, the teary eyes of the Emperor made him not unlike

“I do not think the Emperor would not see it not being a bad idea to ease the peculiar unpleasantness between our nations, milord.” The noblewoman smiled to the experienced diplomat, although without the intention of it being seductive or suggestive in the usual sense of the word. “However, we also believe that while nothing would not ultimately confer to the will of His Majesty, it would still be inappropriate for Him not to consult His servants, the great people of our court.”

“Despite the vast differences between our education systems, I do not think it would be impossible to rectify the incompatibility either. I am in full faith of the diligent scholars under His service to create a proposal for said solution for the responsible equivalent of yours for reference on such policies wherever applicable.” She continued while pouring yet another glass of beverage for the participants. It was said that many people of Tuthina, especially the fairer ladies, were known for their drinking capacity, but it was still no ordinary sight to see such mastery in action.

“Speaking of which, you all must be exhausted of the long travel across the azure main. As the feast is not scheduled to be served immediately, would it be in your interest to enjoy some of our confectioneries?” The princess asked, after a stare from the Emperor. It did not take long for her call to be responded, as one of the young servants entered the cabin and gave the deep bow to the diplomats. Wearing the same dark colour garments, the white overlaying clothes covering the front of her body like an apron seemed to indicate her specified role in the multitude of servants travelling along with him all-time. After a brief exchange, the servant bowed to them once again, before leaving the cabin in relative hurry.

Soon, a few more servants of similar garment arrived along with a well-crafted wooden trolley. After another steep and seemingly disciplined bow, they began to serve the confectionery to the guests. Like their name implied, all the dishes were in small serving and—because of Ateko—not unlike snacks to accompany the beverage.

The main dish of the confectionery was something called kusuriguda. Literally “medicine fruit”, it appeared to be neither, instead resembling a flower-shaped biscuit. It was noticeably softer than it appeared to be, though, as it was made mainly from deep-fried honey, sesame oil and wheat flour, giving it a mixture of different tastes. Apart from it, there were also a dish of soft rice cake of various colours, from the unassuming green and pastel white to be exotic blue and purple. Chiefly made of glutinous rice flour and sweet potato, each colour seemed to include additional ingredient and thus offered unique tastes among them—anything from fried beans to sunflower seeds for the yellow-toned one, to berries and pickled plum for the blue and purple one, or even a mysterious, astringent, salty taste for carbon black one. Served in front of the Emperor and Zoe, this dish seemed to be closer to what one would think of “snack”, while the adults settled for the biscuit and the ubiquitous salted peanuts.

“Please, feel free to enjoy our humble dishes. If they proved not enough to satisfy your tastes, more can be offered on order.” Ateko smiled, while the Emperor started to enjoy the rice cake. “Just remember to not forget about the feast later.”
Call me Reno.

Radiatia
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Radiatia » Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:39 am

“Some come to lands searching for a land of plenty. Radiatia is not such a land; for it is a land of excess. The impoverished man starves to death while the obese man next him dies of gluttony. It is poverty and wealth, but it is never merely sufficiency.”
—Anonymous.

In a strange way, the Tuthinan countryside actually felt less empty to the Radiatians than the towns and cities did, simply by virtue of the fact that, not only was there plant life and greenery, but also the occasional cottage and house.

Being the land of extremes that it was, the Radiatians felt the cities and towns of Tuthina to be empty in comparison to the noisy, smoggy, overcrowded metropolises that at least 80% of the country crammed themselves into. But just as Radiatian cities were overcrowded, the Radiatian wilderness was completely desolate - there was literally nothing. No trees, no plants - certainly no signs of humanity - just rocks, dust and sometimes even snow.

As the Radiatian wilderness was so inaccessible, it was seldom remembered that in fact the Radiatian Federation could lay claim to some of the most pristine and untouched environments in Noctur - but because they were so remote and uninhabitable due to climate and geography, to most they were nothing more than the vast, unmarked expanse on the map between Chongluntz and Clode.

And although there was no doubt they were traversing a great distance at incredible speed, again this seemed routine to Radiatians. Speed was necessity in a country venerating efficiency, while Tuthina in the meantime was comparable in size to the state of Chongluntz - which of course had its own high-speed rail network.

As such it wasn't so much the technology that impressed them, but rather it was the attention to details, the aesthetics - the fact that it was, again, clearly the possibly painstaking work of skilled engineers, rather than something thrown together quickly and cheaply by workers who were only there by virtue of the fact that trade unions had very little power in most Radiatian states.

Although the Radiatians were mostly able to make out the beyond the horizon radar in the distance, few paid it any attention - or even saw it something worth hiding. All except for Gregori were convinced that the Radiatian military was fairly open - and this was mostly true, although as President and Commander-in-Chief, Gregori Fyoderov was of course aware of one or two state secrets that not even he could have guessed - mostly in the form of bizarre experiments carried out in the notorious Zone 44.

Zoe didn't know what the structure was, Isaac was too busy concentrating to see it, and Gregori didn't care but was surprised not to see more military installations. Even Poldania were known to put on more of a display of their supposed 'might to deter the Radiatians'.

As the two delegations turned to official business, not only was Isaac Lichtenberg the only sane and level-headed one there (depending on whose standards of sanity one goes by of course), but he was also the only sober one being the teetotaller that he was. Gregori was drifting in and out of drunken merriment, a sense of official diplomatic duty and lust for the Princess. Zoe, meanwhile, was trying to work out whether or not the Emperor - whose importance she did not fully understand or appreciate - would make potential boyfriend material.

“Naturally, the Emperor,” Ateko commented, her hand resting on the shoulder of the wide-eyed boy beside her, whom nodded in agreement. “does not wish to see bloodshed, for we believe He is the representative of all humanity, it would not be reasonable for Him to applaud the senseless waste of human life, would it? Besides, His Empire, like all nations and entities in the world, must have a sense of self-preservation in order to continue its survival, and dangerous regimes are not considered to be beneficial to such goal.”

Gregori nodded. "I know that to you and me this seems like common sense, but there are those - forgive me - in the Radiatian Federation who honestly believe the propaganda that Tuthinans are all maniacs who would eat children and destroy the world. You and I know this isn't true, and... well, I hope to be able to educate my people on the matter in the future."

He lingered on the word 'my' in only the most subtle form of challenge to the Princess - who clearly was to the Emperor what major corporations were to the Liberal-Conservative Party; i.e. the puppet master, the power behind the throne.

He knew that the Tuthinans believed that had sovereignty over all of Noctur, but he emphasised that word, quietly, to subtly remind them that it was not the position of the Radiatian Federation that any one person, other than that who was elected by the people, had any authority or sovereignty over them.

Isaac whispered to Gregori as it became clear that the young emperor did not understand the concept of diplomatic missions.

"Let us change tack, if I may, Your Imperial Majesty," Said Isaac, speaking directly to Emperor. "Perhaps our arrangement might better make sense in the context of colonialism, rather than nationalism. Maybe, though for all intents and purposes the diplomatic mission is the same, we appoint not an Ambassador but a 'High Commissioner', respectively - one to act as a representative of your good self to the federal government; and one to act as a representative of the federal government to the imperial court.

"Surely you have some sort of direct representative even in those parts of the empire that you do not directly govern, yes?"

Isaac's words made Gregori feel deeply uncomfortable - he was implying that Radiatia was to somewhat recognise Tuthina's outlandish claim to rulership of everything, but yet he trusted him all the same and knew that Isaac Lichtenberg was Noctur's finest diplomat. Raised in Crata, but bought with Radiatian money. He was a man worth every Tsenyen.

"We have always hoped to talk to the Lords of other nations for exchange of information of varying degree of importance.” Said with a smile, referring to the hotline.

“That would be vexatious to the honourable lords of other people, Your Majesty," Said the Princess. It was again clear that their 'God'-Emperor was nothing more than a puppet. It was the same in all dictatorships, Gregori had observed on some level or another. They were either puppets of the clergy, the military, the elite posing as the masses or some combination of the above. This poor kid was nothing more than a puppet to the bizarre traditions of an ancient nation that should, by all rights, have died out by now.

But such thoughts were inefficient, the President reminded himself. He was here not to judge but to achieve specific results for the benefit of the Radiatian Federation.

“However—” She continued, speaking to Gregori and Isaac. “I do not think the Emperor would not see it not being a bad idea to ease the peculiar unpleasantness between our nations, milord.”

Gregori nodded, but Isaac remained still - being the only Radiatian learned enough to have any chance of deciphering her cryptic speech and style of negotiation.

"However, we also believe that while nothing would not ultimately confer to the will of His Majesty, it would still be inappropriate for Him not to consult His servants, the great people of our court.”

"Well of course," Said Gregori. "We're not so different. I too must consult the Radiatian Federal Senate before such a decision can be fully undertaken though I doubt they would disagree.

"Of course-" He added with a laugh. "Unlike you I cannot refer to them as 'great people' for it is in fact a chamber of Parliament controlled by the Social Democratic Union."

It was likely that no one but him would appreciate his witty barb at the expense of the SDU, but he couldn't resist - it was how he had got where he was, afterall.

“Despite the vast differences between our education systems, I do not think it would be impossible to rectify the incompatibility either. I am in full faith of the diligent scholars under His service to create a proposal for said solution for the responsible equivalent of yours for reference on such policies wherever applicable.” She continued while pouring yet another glass of beverage for the participants.

"Then I hope that perhaps we can come to some sort of agreement, along these terms, perhaps even going so far as to call it a Détente?" Said Isaac who was, like a true Radiatian, hoping for a swift and efficient end to negotiations.

"You all must be exhausted of the long travel across the azure main. As the feast is not scheduled to be served immediately, would it be in your interest to enjoy some of our confectioneries?” Said the Princess as the journey across that mysterious isle in the middle of the Oriens Ocean continued.

Gregori answered in the affirmative by way of a sigh - it had not been a short journey, and they had also traversed a number of time zones. And the President was a man who needed his sleep too - he was not the one for tight schedules and long days. If he did not get his 8-10 hours a night, he functioned poorly.

Isaac, by comparison, never seemed to tire.

Gregori had gone to bed while Isaac worked, and woken to find him still working. He was like a machine; perhaps in some odd way the ultimate human expression of the idea of Radiatian industriousness and efficiency, in spite of the paradox of him only being Radiatian by choice and not by birth.

One of the maids came by to deliver the snacks.

Of course it was unlike Radiatian confectionery - which tended to be much sweeter, more sugary and considerably less healthy. But that in itself made it all the more inviting and interesting.

“Please, feel free to enjoy our humble dishes. If they proved not enough to satisfy your tastes, more can be offered on order.” Ateko smiled, while the Emperor started to enjoy the rice cake. “Just remember to not forget about the feast later.”

All of the Radiatians, except for Isaac who almost never laughed, began to either smile, laugh or stifle a laugh.

"My dear lady, you are speaking to a delegation of people from the nation which gave the world Greasy Joe's," Said the President with a smile. "I don't think there is any danger of us being unable to consume certain large volumes of food!"
Last edited by Radiatia on Sat Oct 05, 2013 12:50 am, edited 6 times in total.

Tuthina
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Tuthina » Sat Oct 05, 2013 10:49 am

We will be there when you are buried.”
—Numerous Tuthinan, to numerous Radiatian

“A peculiar notion, I must say.” Ateko answered the Radiatian president with a smile, as she took another slip from the shot glass before offering another one to him. Despite seemingly changing into a more diplomatic and official gear, her affection towards the beverage was still unchallenged. Although she probably had consumed more alcohol than someone conducting a diplomatic mission really should, it seemed that she was barely under its influence, with a slightly blushing face as the sole indicator. One could argue that, though, the self-intoxication of the lady that was allegedly the true master of the Empire would be conductive for the goal of the Radiatians—in more than one sense. “However, I am in full confidence that with sufficient understanding, we should be able to follow the guidance of the Emperor and demonstrate to the people of Radiatia—as well as the entire world—of our true quality.”

The confusion of the Emperor regarding the alien concept of “embassy” and “ambassador” was profound enough that the Radiatian minister had to try explaining the concept—something the majority of the world seemed to take for granted—to him, using an example that would make many people on both side rather uncomfortable. After hearing his word, the Emperor apparently pondered a while, trying to digest the foreign idea in the foreign language, while a faint smile was put onto the face of the grand princess. Then, perhaps to clarify details that would not be very appropriate—even given the nature of his example—the noble duo had a short exchange in the classical Tuthinan language. While it shared many words with its common counterpart and, by some extension, the native language of Chiridia, the liturgical tongue was noticeably shorter and more condensed even to unfamiliar ears, making it ironically efficient.

“We believe it is certainly worthy of consideration… perhaps one of my sisters will be enough to interest you?” The Emperor answered with a smile. While it was clear that he was educated to speak in the same flowery style and gesture as his sister, the sheer lack of experience or need to be concerned about his own words meant his words were a lot simpler and easier to comprehend. However, at the same time the mistranslation between the different ideas of the concept Isaac was trying to convey was more than enough to compensate that. Quite probably unlike any other nations in Noctur, the Empire still retained its feudal government system, where the land upon which the Empire was built upon was nothing but the personal property of the landlord of the land, and the Empire itself was but the sum of the land tenures of all landlords that swore allegiance to the Emperor as their feudal liege, where they provide all sorts of wealth—including human—and service in exchange of the protection of the sum of the armed forces of the numerous independent realms within the Empire. The decentralised nature of the Empire meant that even at its height as one of the biggest colonial empires in the region, the Imperial capital had little authority to the feudal realms and their overseas holdings.

With maybe the exception of secret agents that served as the eyes and ears of the Emperor, the true connection between the local lords, be it within or without the Home Islands, laid in the egregious use of female offspring of the Imperial family. While they were not considered good heirs to the Imperial throne due to the patrilineal nature of the lineage, the sheer weight of the bloodline was more than enough to elevate any noble houses closer to the centre of power of the Empire. As such, numerous marriages were conducted for millennia to tie all major noble houses in the realm into a single socio-political continuum, through which the tug-of-war known as Imperial politics took place.

Naturally, such method would not be useful given that the majority of the nations in Noctur, including Radiatia change the leader every few years, but the practice of using female members of the Imperial family as delegates to other nations persisted, but for reasons other than tradition; their tight kinship to the reigning Emperor meant they had the unspoken authority to speak in his place to a degree, and as most leaders were male and had an appreciation to female, the use of female diplomats could potentially shift any deal in favour of the Empire—if anything, Ateko herself was a living proof of it in one way or another.

The conversation continued as Gregori made a reference to the Radiatian senate, currently under the control of his rivalling party. While not exactly a brilliant joke in the eyes of the Tuthinan people, it seemed suffice to put a smile on Ateko’s face. “While the differences between the political cliques are present in every government, our people tend to see that despite the difference, they are acting with the benefit of themselves and—by extension—the Emperor’s Empire itself. I believe the same notion is true for most nations sharing the same notion with us, hence the term ‘loyal opposition’, if I am not mistaken.”

“Naturally, since acting otherwise would result in much bloodshed to the respective party, perhaps one can say that the great people of the court are required to act accordingly.” Ateko smiled as she attempted to reword the same joke in the context of the Empire, although it was clearly much darker than it was intended on the other side of the ocean. That, combined with the deep smile she gave to the Radiatian politicians, somehow reminded them of the common stereotype of Tuthinan noblewomen always having something under their sleeves. Though then again, possessing such quality was arguably essential for someone within Imperial politics to survive, especially given her intimate relationship with the Emperor incumbent, and if one was not in the worry of being against her, one could argue that such intrigue was the ultimate aphrodisiac.

“An interesting term for the intended change of the relation between the Empire and the peoples of Radiatia, milord. I would not say it was not in line of what His Empire would not consider improper.” She concluded, although not precisely the exact way Isaac might want. Noticing that he was the only teetotaller in the cabin, the princess instead offered a cup of water for him, along with the confectioneries that just arrived in front of them. However, her interest soon turned to the president once more as he made his remark on the food.

“Is that intended to be a challenge?” She made a joking rebuttal towards him as she enjoyed one of the non-biscuits. Swiftly, she responded by offering another glass of beverage along with a small selection of food amongst the snacks. “For while it would not be possible for our honour guest to experience the full uniqueness of our humble nation, we are more than glad to oblige if more are to be ordered.”

At the same time, the Emperor, after finishing his first cake and washed down the remaining fragments in his mouth through a minute application of the wine, turned towards Zoe as he offered some of the more colourful ones of the snacks to Zoe with a smile. “Would these be of your interest, milady? It would be massively inappropriate if we are to let you hunger.”

The scenery outside the window passed by faster and faster as the train gained more and more speed, soon exceeding what most land-based vehicles could hope to achieve. The metropolis, extending along the river, appeared to be built in similar architectural style, but more and more of the modern skyscrapers were gradually replaced by ancient, short houses and manors as the train moved from the bay, from which great wealth of all corners of the world flowed into the Empire, allowing it to become the jewel in the crown, as well as one of the main engines of the Imperial economy it was now.

Soon, the train made a turn to the left, and from there a vast body of water could be seen to the east. Literally “lake of heavenly mirror”, it was not difficult to see why the people of Tuthina called lake Tenkyou such. Being the largest lake in the Empire, and one of the largest in Noctur, it extended tens of miles to each direction, with the furthest coast being almost impossible to see even with good eyesight and under the best weather. Unlike the relatively turbulent sea, the lake was calm, and the water was as clear as a well-polished mirror, devoid of any signs of pollution—even the few sewage outlets the Radiatians saw leading to the bay and the river was entirely absent, as if the lake was some sort of sacred ground permanently banned from any act of pollution regardless of the cost.

“How do you think of that?” The Emperor asked the Radiatians, clearly proud of this standing achievement that Radiatia would not be likely to achieve in the foreseeable future even if they tried. Perhaps after all, Tuthina did brag about its advantage against all other nations, especially towards Radiatia like other nations did, but in a subtler way. “We carefully avoid massive construction that would pollute this place, apart from—”

“We just passed through the Mizuho metropolis, and are now travelling along the coast of lake Tenkyou. Soon, we will be arriving at the Imperial terminal in the capital of old Sakan, where the next stage of our meeting, as well as the feast, will commence.” Ateko suddenly, yet smoothly interrupted the Emperor’s words with a smile.
Last edited by Tuthina on Mon Oct 14, 2013 11:54 am, edited 4 times in total.
Call me Reno.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents