NATION

PASSWORD

On the Nature of Godmode (OOC, Discussion)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Morningstar Coalition
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

On the Nature of Godmode (OOC, Discussion)

Postby Morningstar Coalition » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:33 pm

I felt this was the most appropriate place for this thread, however if there is a better place then I welcome a tow-by-mod to give this a lift.

Alright. What's this about? Why are we here?

I've lately been browsing the Moderation forum of late, morbidly curious as to why some threads get locked, and wanting to find out the full story. During my exploration there, I've seen quite a number of folks scream Godmod for things which to me do not deserve the label.
This appears to be one of those "Rules" that is being either mis-interpreted or has so many definitions that it's no longer a rule, but rather a loose collection of conventions and customs.

I will start off the discussion by listing what I know of the subject, and in case you are wondering, I have been engaging in freeform roleplaying on over a dozen sites for roughly fifteen years now. I hope I understand the subject well enough to meet your approval.

What exactly does it mean to Godmode (AKA Godmod)?

Godmod originally got it's name from the old DOOM "God Mode" code. Said code allowed one to play the game without ever taking damage from enemy attacks.

1. To God-Mode in Roleplaying is to never take damage or disadvantage, while righteously trouncing everything in sight.
What this means for NationStates often amounts to a player who declares a war, and never takes any losses in that war. There are many other examples, but this seems to be the most prevalent one on NationStates.

2. To God-Mode is to control another player's creations.
Another common event on NationStates, sadly. Since this is free-form roleplaying, there are very few rules as to what we can create, and what we can do with those creations. In fact, there are no real rules to how we play at all. There are only conventions and customs. One such convention is that we can only dictate the actions of our own creations and characters. This includes a restriction against dictating damage or effects on another player's creations and characters.
For an example, let's take Player Bob and Player Dave. Their characters are in a gunfight. Bob decides he wants to shoot Dave in the head. In Bob's post he writes a beautiful scene of the character jumping out from cover and "curving" the path of his shot around Dave's cover and hitting him right between the eyes!
This is clear God-Mode action. Bob has given Dave absolutely no chance to avoid the attack, since both the attempted attack and it's outcome on Dave are written by Bob.
Instead of the above, Bob should have described the attempt to hit Dave between the eyes. This allows Dave the chance to either say "No, you can't do that!" or to say "Wow, that was written so well, I'm going to allow it."

3. Godmod is anything that constitutes unfair behavior in play.
Aha! Now we get to the really controversial one. Just as an example, I have seen a player in Moderation complain that mixing Future-Tech and Modern-Tech elements in the same RP is Godmod. I disagree, strongly.
Is it unfair? Unless both players have agreed to this, then yes it probably is very unfair. The player using FT toys will likely be able to walk all over the MT player. Even this however is not absolute, otherwise it goes right back to God-Mode number two above. You can claim any advantage you want. Your technology could be a thousand years more advanced than another player, but this means absolutely nothing until another player decides to agree with you that your technology gives a massive advantage.
Many are the stories of MT-era humans surviving and even throwing back an invasion or attack by a vastly superior FT-alien force. If it works in those stories, why can't it work in ours? All it requires is cooperation, communication, compromise, mutual consent, and mutual respect by all involved players.

Here's another example. What about the player who claims a massive MT army in the millions, when their NS nation is brand-new. Many times I see older players crying "Godmod! Godmod!" for this. Is this really a Godmod?
Again, I don't think so. What this is is a violation of a long-held NationStates custom that your NS-pop be used as a measure of a nation's IC power. Not everyone agrees with this custom, and I would like to remind people that this is not a rule any more than the above definitions of Godmod. The population (and thus army/space fleet size issue) is purely a custom that most players on NationStates accept and agree to.

I'd like to open the floor to constructive debate at this point. Share your thoughts on the subject of Godmod please, so we can all be a little the wiser for it.
FT: The Morningstar Coalition
Morningstar OOC Thread | Dossier of Embassies | The Morningstar Grand Conclave IC Thread/OOC Thread - The multi-faction ruling body of Morningstar meets here, | The Phoenix Initiative - Morningstar's bid for "immortality".
My sigged quotes got too long for Nationstates' signature limits, so now I'm collecting all future sig quotes HERE.

Voltronica
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Voltronica » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:38 pm

constructive debate leads to constitution making...Could we make a constitution of RP??
I am a bit of a pervert so get over it...or under it whichever you prefer ;)
[unclaimed space]
Serial RPist since Aug 2009!!
| Music Culture of Voltronica | FanT FB (UC)|
Phishing with worms is fun! I caught a catphish.
Quoets

Sith Korriban
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 21, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Sith Korriban » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:50 pm

Voltronica wrote:constructive debate leads to constitution making...Could we make a constitution of RP??

No.

That would be impossible. Unless you want to try to get everybody here agreeing, which wouldn't happen even if hell froze over, and magically enforcing said constitution despite having no actual power to do so...
~Dark Lady of the Sith
"Sometimes you have to walk in darkness to bring the truth to light"
"So be angry about that! Hate! Rage! Despair! Allow yourself, just once, to stop playing the game of Jedi Knight, and admit what you have always known: you are alone, and you are great, and when the world strikes you it is better to strike back than turn your cheek." ―Dooku, to Yoda

Malikov
Minister

Founded: May 10, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Malikov » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:51 pm

Morningstar Coalition wrote:[snip]

THat Godmodding in a nut shell. All new guys in II should read this.
Current flag request.
The Official Factbook Of The United Peoples Of Malikov
Official Malkovian Flag
Official Malikovian Seal
Regional Map Of The United Peoples
Defcon:1 2 3 4 [5]
Military: .5% Standing Military|1.5% Reserves
Organizations:The Phoenix Conglomeration
The Trews - Highway of Heroes

In Flanders Fields the poppies grow
Between the crosses row on row
That mark our place, and in the sky
The larks still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below...

R.I.P.
The Conglomerate
Tiurabo wrote:Your forces are weak because you are capable of reigning them in.
"Friendship is two pals munching on a well cooked face together."

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Fri Nov 20, 2009 5:55 pm

can't really find a disagreement. Ive had nations where the entire nation was the military. People cried and Cried until i explained it all.

But communication is key. For example. IN a thread i just blew up one of the OP's characters. Charter didnt die but his shuttle, body guards and some marines were devestated. However i just posted the fact that i planted a bomb under his shuttle. He agreed to the action and posted casualties? Why would he do that? because NS has been missing something for a long time. THe greats. Like Wanderjar, Hysperatial Travel, who realized the point of rping is not winning or losing. Theres nothing to lose or gain by rping wars. The only purpose is to tell a good story. And that takes a lot of TGing and IMing behind the scense with both parties. The RP isn't just for you, its for The united states of Schmukateli who stumbles across your thread and now is entertained or not.

The Steppe Empire
Minister

Founded: Jun 19, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The Steppe Empire » Fri Nov 20, 2009 6:03 pm

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:can't really find a disagreement. Ive had nations where the entire nation was the military. People cried and Cried until i explained it all.

But communication is key. For example. IN a thread i just blew up one of the OP's characters. Charter didnt die but his shuttle, body guards and some marines were devestated. However i just posted the fact that i planted a bomb under his shuttle. He agreed to the action and posted casualties? Why would he do that? because NS has been missing something for a long time. THe greats. Like Wanderjar, Hysperatial Travel, who realized the point of rping is not winning or losing. Theres nothing to lose or gain by rping wars. The only purpose is to tell a good story. And that takes a lot of TGing and IMing behind the scense with both parties. The RP isn't just for you, its for The united states of Schmukateli who stumbles across your thread and now is entertained or not.

I agree with the whole thing with RP wars being more of a Story then a real war. You should make a Thread about how to make RP wars for FT fun (And Show it to Bryn Shander)

Return to International Incidents