NATION

PASSWORD

The Astyrian Network

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Aquitayne
Senator

Founded: Jun 24, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Aquitayne » Fri Apr 22, 2016 7:16 am

ImageImage

His Majesty Discusses the Region with Valeria Ravenclaw of the BCNN

By JESSICA ALBRIGHTApril 22, 2016

Valeria Ravenclaw poses for promotional ads before her tour across Astyria,
interviewing many world leaders on current crises.

Palace at Vernoir, Aquitayne -

The interview that captivated the region yesterday was monitored closely by both government and private-sector officials, jotting down ever last bit of information that came out of the King's mouth. The interview is the first leg in Valeria Ravenclaw's Across the Region Tour, an expansive endeavor that sees her scheduled to interview the most amount of Astyrian leaders of any journalist in recent memory. The Blackhelm Confederacy News Network, the official news outlet of the nation, has sponsored the tour and spent tens of millions of dollars in advertising it just in Hesperedisia alone.

The interview was a highly publicized event in Aquitayne, as well, with pubs and homes across the nation tuning in to see what the King had to say about the current problems facing Astyria. The answers were, for the most part, more than standard. He hailed the resilience and fortitude of the Aquitaynian people, and kept the rhetoric regarding the EATA and ATO to a bare minimum, not giving any ground in reiterating Aquitayne's neutral stance between the power blocs.

Valeria is known throughout the journalism community as being a hard-liner. She routinely asks the difficult and pointed questions that some find difficult to wiggle their way out of. An aid close to the Minister of Foreign Affairs stated that "the Minister was very happy with the King's remarks, especially after Valeria backed him into that corner regarding the recent ViZo-Bhormakaro conflict." Indeed, the King's statement that the information regarding Bhormakaro's apparent threat to the ViZo Strait was "classified" raised more than a few eyebrows across Astyria. The King quickly backpedalled the intensity of his claim, stating that "What I am saying, is that the Bhormakaran military has the operational capabilities and resources to put pressure on the ViZion Strait."

The King touched on more domestic subjects as well, noting that Aquitayne is "on track to meet 30% of our energy needs through sustainable resources by 2020", a goal he set when he first came onto the throne. The interview, as a whole, was relaxed and very controlled, but Valeria did not hold back about BCNN's feelings towards the apparent hypocrisy regarding Aquitaynian influence - and where it chooses to use that influence. Specifically, Valeria asked a question regarding Aquitayne's stance, noting that it seemed "that the United Kingdom has had a much better relationship with the ATO than it has with EATA member states in recent years."

The King quickly dismissed the claim, reiterating Aquitayne and her allies' neutral stance between the EATA and ATO. He did, however, note that "EATA policies have put the region at risk more times than I'm comfortable with", but quickly rounded back to saying that Aquitayne and her allies retain "our neutrality, and an objective one at that." The interview continued to discuss the decision to place Aquitaynian ships in the Strait of ViZion, which the Blackhelm Confederacy has largely denounced as a move to further the conflict and militarize the region, which the Ministry of Defense and the Foreign Ministry strongly disclaim.

The next stop for Valeria is in Kobolis, a nation recently rocked by the largest and most devastating terrorist attack in Astyrian history.

_________

Find out what you need to know about the world today, and get politics news updates via Facebook, Twitter, and our Newsletter.
[ Embassy Program | A Collection of Essays | Parliamentary Hansard | Axalon Private Military Company | My iiwiki Page ]
[ W&A: Global Intelligence | Aquitaynian Foreign Legion | Affairs of the Region | Freyport Armory ]

I'm a former N&I RP Mentor, not very active these days but feel free to reach out if I can help with anything!

"When you have power, use it to build people, not constrict them."-Bertrand Russell
"I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends."-Abraham Lincoln

Duderology - The Study of Duder.
16:08 GHawkins I continue to be amazed by Aq's ability to fuck up his own name.

Falkasia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 22, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby Falkasia » Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:07 pm

I don't get paid enough for this.

"PressBox" Transcribed Report

BREAKING NEWS
Falkasian Military enters Gragastavia

Amateur photographers capture the initial air bombardment of Al Duhaba, Capitol of Gragastavia.

Early this morning, Falkasian forces officially entered into Gragastavian territory. This marks only the second time in history, the last being the Falko-Gragastavian War in 1988, when the Falkasian military has directly intervened in the affairs of its southern neighbor.

It is well known that earlier this year, the Gragastavian Liberation Organization, also known colloquially by their acronym GLO, staged a coup in Al Duhaba to overthrow then seated King Friedrich Schechtmann. The GLO as it exists is a loose affiliation of groups, united under the so-called "common cause" of anti-Falkasianism. They have been responsible for countless bombings and terrorist attacks over the years, most notably the 2013 bombing of Stana General Hospital in which they killed over 200 civilians and military personnel. Ahmed Sezen, father of recent Olympic Athletes Leyla and Yldirim Sezen, was among those killed. Although successful in ousting the democratically elected government, they failed to fully capitalize on their gains and allowed many key Falkasian allies through. King Schechtmann, having survived, fled to Falkasia and since has lived in exile as de facto leader from New Falafel Hall.

Historically, the Schechtmann family has long-running ties with both Falkasia and the Kazyenko clan. Although little in the way of tangible information is available, it is widely understood that both families share at least some form of common lineage. This lineage, which has manifested itself throughout antiquity in the way of political alliances, remains a strong binding force between both countries. Rumors suggest that the recent invasion may be an effort by the Premier, who has had little interaction with Gragastavia since ascending to power in 2000, to re-assert his solidarity and attempt to re-instate the King.

The success of the operation remains to be seen. Reports from EKTV's sister station in Al Duhaba reported that the city came under sustained naval and air bombardment immediately after dawn. The Ministry of Defense had no comment when asked. Falkasian Navy Task Force Alfa, under the command of Volsk-native R.A. Lucius Svedberg, is known to have been operating in the region. Photographs circulating on social media, such as the one above, seem to show Falkasian-marked V-25's and fixed-wing aircraft conducting directed bombing runs on a variety of targets across the city.

The 12th and 23rd Armored Divisions, both based in Stanaskaya, have also been deployed to Gragastavia. Analysts suggest these two units may be acting as a counter-balance to an expected amphibious invasion of Al Duhaba from Task Force Alfa. This plan is designed to pincer in retreating forces before they can disappear into the greater desert of the desolate country.

There are no casualty reports available at this time.

For Citizens of Stanaskaya Province
The province of Stanaskaya has been placed on lockdown, and a temporary bank holiday has been declared. Do not go to work. Do not leave your homes. Hunker down and remain safe. If you see something suspicious, inform your local Levysman as soon as possible.
Last edited by Falkasia on Fri Apr 22, 2016 6:22 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Universal Defense Consolidated Storefront
Dramatis Personae
Just for the record; I'm colorblind to Yellow
Falkasia is ranked 1st in the region and 1st in the world for Most Awesome Nations.

Andamonia
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Andamonia » Fri Apr 22, 2016 8:50 pm

War never changes
» Is Andamonia on the road to a brighter future?
By Cohmani Pilezar, 23/04/'16

The empire's descent into chaos spirals ever downwards as civil war beckons - or so it would be, if it weren't for the ongoing Trellinese intervention in the north and west. Trellinese armed forces arrived in - or rather, returned to - Andamonia in August last year, after Emperor Amahuiz formally requested their assistance in restoring central authority to the troubled fringes of the empire. The presence of Trellinese soldiers has not been a popular move, but many have argued that it is necessary in a nation whose own military is outnumbered by the rebel militias of innumerable would-be statelets and opportunist groups.

Even with a strong Trellinese presence, however, the only stability in our empire is a stable chaos. The situation has stopped deteriorating, but it also has no inclination towards amelioration. There are those who accuse the Sidereal Crown of deliberately fostering an environment where the restoration of order is impossible, and conspiracy theories surround its Operation Flying Mynah - is it really a generous offer to rebuild Andamonia, or is it a ploy to keep Trellin's ancient rival as a permanent underdog?
The horror of urban terrorism, Lasasu Isnin (14 March).

It's certainly true that Andamonia is in dire straits, but it seems rather counter-intuitive to suggest that Trellin could be behind it while they commit such immense resources to stifling insurrection and continue to throw money at rebuilding the shattered empire that neighbours them (article » Trellin pledges ʠ50,000,000 to reconstruction); even more so given their rate of success and the very tangible progress that has been made in ending the insurrection. Only a handful of cities remain in rebel hands - Tepec and Pathatl in the north, after North Olahan forces were driven out of Uushen over the last two weeks (article » NPR forces retreat to Pathatl), Runaazit and Eltoajoan in the east and Quemec and Uebli in the south are the main centres of secessionist activity. Rebels and militias maintain a presence in many other towns, but barely half a dozen remain in anti-imperial hands.

We owe this to combination of factors. Trellinese forces have provided invaluable support to the Imperial Military, which despite early defections and defeats has persevered stoically and made substantial gains especially in the northwest. Rebel infighting has kept some sects from greater success than they might otherwise be enjoying. Even the North Peninsular Republic and Olahu Commune, which recognise each other as independent states, have frequently been at loggerheads. Drone camera footage has even captured their soldiers fighting in the Olahu rainforest. The calls for Emperor Amahuiz to step down have not been heard in months, though the future of his political career remains in doubt. No few politicians have suggested he will abdicate in favour of a republic once peace is restored, though whether Andamonia wants to experiment again with democracy is as much in question as whether we will even see peace again.

On the one hand, Andamonia is in much the same situation it was at the close of 2014: rebel sects across the empire, the emperor afraid to return to his residence in Zadé Axochizin, Trellinese soldiers unambiguously menacing their opponents. For all that critics say we are stuck in a rut, however, they cannot deny that things are better than they were in October 2014 or in July 2015. Since Trellin's intervention, life for the average citizen has improved. Isolated attacks are preferable to the regimes of terror that only recently were driven out of some of our major cities. Even the streets of Zadé Axochizin, occupied first by protesters, then rioters and then rebels, are peaceful again. Things could be, and have been, much worse than they are. At least now there is hope for a brighter future and a restored Andamonia.

Related: NPR forces retreat to Pathatl | Violence erupts in Huitso | Trellin pledges ʠ50,000,000 to reconstruction | War and rumours of war in Lorecia
Recognise these teeth? Also known as Maltropia.

Aquitayne
Senator

Founded: Jun 24, 2011

Postby Aquitayne » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:37 am

ImageImage

Aquitaynian Embassy in Gragastavia Closed

By JESSICA ALBRIGHTApril 24, 2016

Aquitaynian Marines await the MV-22 Osprey to evacuate Embassy officials and staff.

Al Duhaba, Gragastavia -

Earlier this week, the Falkasian-Gragastavian conflict erupted once more into open war. The two nations have been at odds with one another for centuries, and this is just the most recent installment of their continued fighting. The conflict erupted when Falkasian Naval assets began bombarding Al Duhaba, the Gragastavian capitol, with rockets and other missile weaponry. Falkasia, Aquitayne's northern neighbor, and Gragastavia, a close neighbor to the west, are both nations which bring important trade goods to Aquitayne annually.

The recent GLO takeover of Gragastavia is believed to be the catalyst for the recent uptick in hostilities between the two nations, with Falkasia seeming unresistant in their goals to remove the GLO from power. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated at the time of the GLO takeover that, "this organization not only places the people of Gragastavia at risk, but the people of Lorecia as a whole." The Ministry did state, however, that Aquitayne had no intentions of attempting to remove the GLO from power, though there have been reports of suspected spy activities in the country.

An aid to a top Field Marshal in the Ministry of Defense disclosed to the Tribune that Falkasia did not alert Aquitaynian military officials to their attack. The aid, who spoke to us only on the condition of anonymity, stated that "the attack came as a complete surprise." He went on to say, however, that this was not something the military did not see coming. "If you remember, event the Tribune published an article regarding Universal Defense's recent increase in arms sales to the Falkasian military. We saw this as a sign of intervention, but did not suspect it to come so rapidly."

In light of the opening of hostilities, the Ministry of Foreign Affairs stated in a public address that all Aquitaynian citizens in Gragastavia should make travel arrangements to leave immediately, and all known citizens travelling or residing in the country have been contacted by the Aquitaynian embassy in Falkasia. The Ministry of Foreign Affairs did also announce that the Aquitaynian Embassy Mission in Gragastavia would be closed immediately and indefinitely. A very discreet mission was carried out in the later hours of April 23rd that saw the evacuation of Aquitaynian embassy officials, including Consul Righam, and all other essential and non-essential embassy officials, as well as Aquitaynian citizens that had made their way to the embassy.

The Ministry of Defense stated that it was elements of the 6th Marine Expeditionary Unit that responded to the crisis and evacuated over 120 Aquitaynian citizens from Gragastavia, and that there were no shots fired during the operation.

_________

Find out what you need to know about the world today, and get politics news updates via Facebook, Twitter, and our Newsletter.
[ Embassy Program | A Collection of Essays | Parliamentary Hansard | Axalon Private Military Company | My iiwiki Page ]
[ W&A: Global Intelligence | Aquitaynian Foreign Legion | Affairs of the Region | Freyport Armory ]

I'm a former N&I RP Mentor, not very active these days but feel free to reach out if I can help with anything!

"When you have power, use it to build people, not constrict them."-Bertrand Russell
"I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends."-Abraham Lincoln

Duderology - The Study of Duder.
16:08 GHawkins I continue to be amazed by Aq's ability to fuck up his own name.

Blackhelm Confederacy
Minister

Founded: May 31, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Blackhelm Confederacy » Sun Apr 24, 2016 7:46 pm

In Their Words
With Valeria Ravenclaw

The third segment of our pan-Astyrian tour finds us in the Grand Hotel Holmgard, in the heart of the Rombergian capital to interview Kaiser Johann von Lenesov. With a recent deployment to assist the coalition in the Lorecian War as well as the decision to leave troops behind in the currently unclaimed tundra just east of Glisandia, von Lenesov and Romberg as a whole have received a bit of criticisim in recent times. Valeria Ranveclaw seeks to get to the heart of the decision to remain behind, as well as a number of other topics in tonight's piece.

Valeria Ravenclaw: Good afternoon Mr. von Lenesov, thank you for taking the time out of your schedule to meet me today

Johann von Lenesov: Good afternoon Ms. Ravenclaw, a pleasure to meet you.

VR: Rombergian troops recently participated in the coalition action against the Yellow Star Republic, however after the fighting all of the other nations involved began to remove their troops. Rombergian forces, however, decided to remain in Lorecia, and the Rombergian government has even laid claim to the territory west of Glisandia. Many throughout the region are beginning to think that the sole reason for your involvement was to justify what was essentially nothing less than an imperialistic landgrab. What would you say to this argument?

JvL: Two things. Firstly, we have completed our withdrawal from insofar claimed lands including the Grand Duchy of Glisandia and the Yellow Star Republic earlier than anyone else in the coalition. Secondly, there is no actual claim made by the Rombergian government. I am not sure where you have gotten this information.

VR: Are not Rembergian troops setting up what appear to be permenant garrisons in the previously unclaimed region of the tundra?

JvL: While conducting the military operation, we have found older manuscripts dating back to previous centuries, during the period of Personal Union, of ethnic Rombergians being sent to attempted colonisation efforts in the tundra region and recent encounters with the nomads of the tundra have suggested a remarkable similarity of these people in culture to the Rombergians sent henceforth. We believe that the Rombergians sent in the past have been assimilated into the local population and hence it was decided that further research would be interesting in this intriguing area. However, due to security threats such as the GGA, military protection would be required. You may notice that the numbers of troops left on the ground is much reduced compared to wartime numbers.

VR: So, if it is purely a research mission, would you object to scientists and associated security from other nations joining in the endeavor?

JvL: Well, security wise I would object as I believe that our military is more than enough to cope with any threats in the region. Plus, it would be a good idea for Rombergian forces to be involved in security anyway because communications wise the language and culture of the nomads still have much in common with ours. On the other hand, I am open to having foreign researchers taking part in the programme, although as this would be a Rombergian led project you would have to consult the Imperial Rombergian Academy of Sciences on that matter.

VR: If, for example, a Confederate security team of Rombergian speaking advisors were to volunteer to assist in this scientific mission, they would be denied?

JvL: I do not see the need for their presence. In any case security would not be a major concern. On the other hand, differing doctrines may mean that in case of any emergency this may lead to further complications.

VR: You just stated moments ago security was a major concern, and that was the reason for the presence of Rombergian soldiers

JvL: I have never claimed security was a MAJOR concern. I said that there was a concern with respect to security for any researchers in the field, justifying the need for armed protection, but I do not anticipate anything particularly serious.

VR: Then why not remove the soldiers and use a security company, like every other research mission has done? Unless you feel the danger is too much for a private company to handle

JvL: We already had troops on the ground who can be trusted more than private military personnel. Do not forget that this research mission is government supported and we endeavour to deploy our assets as we believe to be efficient.

VR: You are aware that soldiers on the ground, in what has been for years considered to be international territory, is more than a bit brow raising, do you not?

JvL: Not when any nation can and has the right to do it. What is brow raising is the presence of a nation's troops on another sovereign nation's soil without permission.

VR: Can you clarify what you are trying to say there?

JvL: It is about the issue of land ownership. Whoever wants to traverse through owned land should ask for permission from the owner. If the land is unowned it may not be the best decision to traverse through it but it is acceptable. Discretion should be taken however and respect must be given to any native inhabitants in all cases.

VR: So, to the earlier mentioned point, if for example, a Confederate security team were to establish itself, you would not object? As it is, if I understand you correctly, unowned land, and the traversing of it is acceptable?

JvL: That is correct, although purpose is a significant factor. Said confederate security team I believe should have a legitimate reason to be there as well. And that does not contradict with my previous point.

VR: A security team might be needed to defend nationals from the previously spoken of GGA threat. If there is as valuable of a historical trove uncovered, it is only logical that other nations would want in on the action. And since it is unclaimed land, it is up for grabs, is it not?

JvL: I do not believe this land is up for grabs, no. There are historical claims from various nations with various degrees of legitimacy, whom I believe have more right over the land than others.

VR: I did not mean the land, I meant the historical troves. If they are in unclaimed land, doesn't that give researchers from around the region equal claim to study them?

JvL: Certainly, although I believe the research is more anthropological in nature than one might think, based on information given to me.

VR: Would you like to use this interview as an opportunity to personally invite experts from around the region to assist in the studies then?

JvL: Again, I have not stated others were unwelcome to conduct research in the area, merely that our research operation, sponsored by the Rombergian government, would not require foreign security assistance, and you would need to consult the Imperial Rombergian Academy of Sciences on the matter of collaboration by foreigners in the Rombergian research team. And as I do not own the land, I have no right to invite experts to conduct research in the area.

VR: So you would not like to use this opportunity to invite others to assist the Rombergian scientists currently on the ground? They do not need to be attached to the actual Rombergian mission, as it is, as you said, unclaimed country

JvL: That is correct. I do not have the jurisdiction to invite others to conduct research in the area who are not in any way attached to the actual Rombergian mission.

VR: So can you say, for the record, that there would be no objection on behalf of the Rombergian government should independent fact finding or research missions be launched into the area?

JvL: We have no right to object.

VR: Yes or no, if you could please

JvL: The question is not valid as we cannot object in the first place.

VR: So then there would be no objections?

JvL: There can not be.

VR: And can you guarantee at this time that there is no desire by the Rombergian government to permanently establish itself in the area?

JvL: At this current time, yes.

VR: And in the future?

JvL: Nobody can predict the future. it would be dumb to categorically deny anything. I can't even tell you what I want for breakfast tomorrow.

VR: Are there any foreseeable incidents that might arise in which you might backpedal from your current anti-colonial stance?

JvL: No. Anti-colonialism is always a central tenet to Rombergian foreign doctrine. We do not colonise and oppress natives or recklessly exploit any native resources.

VR: Moving on to other topics, Romberg remains a neutral party to the current EATA-ATO conflict in the region. Do you see this position changing any time soon, and how do you feel neutrality has benefited the Rombergian state?

JvL: To us, I believe that neutrality is our biggest asset. As any amateur geographer or demographer can tell, we are not populous enough to stand up to any of the larger nations in the region, nor are we as resource-rich as many of them. But neutrality means that we are able to not artificially contract our potential field of trade partners. Indeed, our nation may have been rich because of oil, but it is trade which keeps it going. And it is neutrality which sustains its trade as well as helping us to remain off the radar for military conquest. We have I believe a strong military for our size, but we must still be vigilant. And that is also why we chose to stay a neutral party between the two main pacts in the region. We know that we can only stand to lose if we throw ourselves in the fray. That said, and although we will fiercely defend and protect our neutrality,if our very survival, our very existence is at threat due to actions taken by one of the main pacts, we may have to reconsider our position, but only to protect ourselves. But in any case as far as the situation in the world goes I do not believe that such a drastic step is necessary any time in the near future.

VR: Are there any issues in the region that you find particularly troubling at the present time?

JvL: Yes, Certainly. There's war and terrorism all over the place, nations falling apart, just a lot of conflict and fighting going on. If only there was peace...And to a lesser extent, global warming and degradation of resources. Although we've already set up fishing quotas, fishermen have reported that the arctic waters have appeared less healthy than it was years ago.

VR: Speaking of the war on terrorism and the recent attack on Kobolis, does Romberg plan to take any steps against the ALA either at home or abroad?

JvL: Well, definitely efforts are being taken at home as we speak. Terrorism is terrorism and if it presents a security threat to our nation we will definitely stamp it out. On the "abroad" side of things however things are more complicated. Our military is set by constitution to only be allowed to operate abroad in a peacekeeping capacity, or if assistance is explicitly requested by another nation. So if either of these conditions are met definitely the Grand Council, Central Military Command and myself would have to seriously consider whether to get ourselves involved. Otherwise we would be limited to materiel and intelligence support.

VR: Earlier you mentioned fishing quotas, would you like to elaborate on this a bit more?

JvL: This is an environmental measure to ensure sustainability of fish stocks. Arctic waters are home to a great variety and quantity of sea life, and fishing is a major industry here. So actions must be taken to ensure that this resource is not depleted but instead still available in a healthy capacity for many generations to come.

VR: What are the quotas?

JvL: They are set by the Department for the Environment, and I do not have data on my hands just yet. Again, you can be assured that all Rombergian laws apply to our territorial waters.

VR: Before we wrap up, is there any other subject we didnt get to touch on that you might like to talk about?

JvL: If you want to sum up this interview in one sentence, it's this: We all want the best for our nation, or at the very least our families and ourselves. If only we could get along and strive for the best we collectively as a region could do. What we are capable of would be unthinkable.

VR: Thank you very much for your time, Kaiser. It has been a pleasure

JvL: Certainly. A pleasure to be here to
~Got Oil?~

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Blackhelm Confederacy
Minister

Founded: May 31, 2006
Father Knows Best State

Postby Blackhelm Confederacy » Mon Apr 25, 2016 11:39 am

In Their Words
With Valeria Ravenclaw

Today's interview, and the fourth stop on our voyage, finds us at Castle Svanur in Rikijdrottin, the capital of the war torn Duchy of Glisandia. In these very halls not too long ago, Duke Henryk Pierdcziensky lost his eldest son and heir, as well as much of his staff, to attacks by the Yellow Star Republic. Today we get to sit down with the Duke and hear his opinions on the war, the East-West divide, and the regional war on terror, as well as other subjects. Hear Duke Hneryk Pierdcziensky tell his story, in his own words.

Valeria Ravenclaw: Thank you very much for meeting with me today, I am sure that this is a very trying time, and I appreciate that you can set a few minutes aside for our interview

Henryk Pierdcziensky: Thank you, Ms. Ravenclaw. Yes, it's been trying times rebuilding and reasserting Duchy control over the land.

VR: Your nation was thrust into the spotlight very recently as a result of the invasion by the Yellow Star Republic, but even despite this, relatively little is known about Glisandia throughout the region. Is there anything in particular that you would like to tell our readers about your home?

HP: Well, that's a broad statement. Yes, after the Second Great Astyrian War, we did go into a bit of isolation. After the lumber supplies and mineral mines were drying up, it was difficult to keep up exports and any kind of even trade balance... We are a unique nation with a long history and we have learned from our past mistakes of the 20th Century. We are committed to being a part of the region and hope that we can stand as equals one day with the great powers of Astyria, being able to contribute to the good of the region. Right now, we are grateful for the aid, but someday, we'd like to pay back all those that have helped us get back on our feet. It may be a long road, but that's probably our most primary goal.

VR: Do you have any idea on how you might somehow pay those nations back?

HP: At this time, no. I truly don't. My Council and I are working on solving that dilemma. There isn't too much that we can offer at this time, other than eternal friendship. Monetarily, we cannot pay anyone back as we have been looted almost clean by the YSR, and the war devastated us. We are still fighting an insurgency. Yes...I won't gloss over that. It's a very real, horrible situation that the war...the Northern Lorecian War, I believe they're calling it, is still continuing for us, even though the enemy has changed.

VR: The insurgency you just mentioned is that of the God's Glisandian Army, or GGA, one of the most regrettable fall outs of the recent war. Is there any sort of concrete plan in place to defeat, or at least to contain this group?

HP: Our reformed military is working hard to put down the insurgency. I know that the International community might see this as political, merely anti-monarchial forces, but the GGA poses a serious threat to not only our nation, but our neighbors. This is a fight of good versus evil...Thousands of innocent civilians were put to death under the so-called 'Holy Domain' of Borinkrijn, the Holy Father. Tens of thousands. Now, it's a matter of getting stronger in order to eradicate this threat to humanity, not just the Grand Duchy.

VR: Terrorism seems to be sharply on the rise in the region, with the GGA here in Glisandia, the Heralds on the Insula Fera, the ALA launching attacks against the west, and extremist groups taking up armed insurgencies in both Andamonia and Hesperidesia. To what would you attribute this sudden, dramatic uptick?

HP: Well, fanaticism can be attractive to those who think that they have nothing left, and no other way to fight. Most of the places you have mentioned have a long history of poverty and oppression. For us though, I don't think this is the case. I think it's a matter of cult of personality. We went through a very difficult trial with the war, Borinkrijn took advantage of that.

VR: You have referred to Borinkrijn twice now, is there anything more you can tell us about him?

HP: Harald Borinkrijn was a mediocre officer in our armed forces before the war. His ego had him convinced that he was far superior to the rest of the High Command. His ego will be his downfall. He is a pestilence on our once peaceful Duchy and we will exterminate him and his ilk.He stabbed us in the back when we were most down, and was the very definitive worst traitor one could suffer

VR: That is some very tough talk, and I hope that you can follow through with it. Moving slightly West, the nation of Romberg has recently begun to establish what seems like a permanent garrison in the unclaimed tundra. How do you feel about this subject?

HP: It is complicated, as is our history with the Rombergians...I am in negotiations with the Kaiser. We have much to make up for with a shaded past, we weren't always admirable in our dealings with the Rombergians, but we have been trying to do our best to bring that back to balance in the past few decades...That being said, with the Tundra lands, the surrounding nations and ourselves have always had an understanding...about those lands. I don't think that Romberg has that same understanding. I don't know that I can go further into it than that. I don't want to jeopardize current relations and negotiations.

VR: When I interviewed the Rombergian Kaiser, he stopped short of inviting international observers to the tundra, but did say that he would have no right to object should they arrive. Would you support the arrival of observers to the area, if for no other reason that to prevent a possible landgrab?

HP: (Lots of throat clearing and awkward shifting and uncomfortable sideways glances at advisers) Ahem..Again, I don't want to jeopardize our negotiations. We have a new political neighbor where we didn't before. That's a completely radical shift for us. Our government does welcome observers...There's talk of Imperialism, but maybe Romberg is attempting to bring control to very wild lands that have always bucked that control, for the better of the region. In any case, for both Romberg and the region, and the native population...I do think that observers would be most welcome.

VR: A bit of an off topic question, but one that I am sure a number of readers might be asking themselves: Your title is Duke, why is that? Was there ever a King of Glisandia?

HP: Oh, ha! Well, I have the power of a King in our land. It's complicated, but at one point, many hundreds of years ago, we were part of Yellosia, and also the northern half of Glisandia was part of Nouvel Ecosse. But there was always a Duke of Glisandia, who was subservient to the Koningur, the King, of Yellosia, and also the King of Nouvel Ecosse at one point. So it's a traditional title

VR: Very interesting. But getting back to regional politics, where would you say Glisandia stands in the current ATO-EATA divide, and what role do you see for Glisandia's future in this dispute

HP: We are in talks to sign the ATO charter. The ATO has been our saviors in this past conflict and their aid has helped us get on our feet again. That being said, I don't think there needs to be a divide. The ATO and EATA have both been instrumental in peacekeeping in the region. Both are stabilizing forces, are they not?

VR: That is correct, they both certainly are. Before we go our separate ways here, is there anything that you would like to mention that we may not have had time to talk about?

HP: Well, I appreciate the time to be able to talk about our little nation. I hope that now that the Northern Lorecian War is over, we aren't forgotten, because we still have a
tough road ahead and need all the help we can get. Also, as far as the so called Holy Domain, the GGA...I would hope that all national law enforcement and government agencies in every Astyrian nation would be diligent in keeping their citizens from traveling here to join that cause. While it may seem a righteous cause, they are a fanatical perversion of Christianity and an extreme cult under the direction of Borinkrijn. Those misguided souls that join them are only furthering the misery of our region and not serving any higher purpose than that of Borinkrijn's whims.

VR: I am sure law enforcement around the region are hard at work doing everything they can to assure stability here and across Astyria. Allow me to say it was a pleasure Duke
Henryk, and thank you again for meeting with me today

HP: It was a pleasure Ms. Ravenclaw. Thank you.
~Got Oil?~

(\__/)
(='.'=)
(")_(") This is Bunny. Copy and paste bunny into your signature to help him gain world domination.

Aztec National League
Attaché

Founded: Antiquity
Democratic Socialists

Postby Aztec National League » Wed May 04, 2016 11:33 pm

Voz
An Independent Voice for the Nahua People

Aztec National League Activates Earthquake Early Warning System

CIHUATLÁN, AZTEC NATIONAL LEAGUE - Public safety officers, university academics, and government officials officially activated the first unified “earthquake early warning” system in the Aztec National League. The system, which has taken over 5 years to develop and cost approximately Ȼ62 million, is designed to provide a critical few additional seconds or minutes to brace for seismic events.

“The early earthquake warning system combines cutting-edge scientific technology and ingenuity,” said Minister of State Security, Tenoch Itztli. “A few seconds of additional preparation can mean the difference between safety and calamity, the difference between life and death. This system will allow us to protect critical infrastructure by shutting it down before an earthquake strikes, and ultimately, save lives.”

The system of networked seismographs and computer networks is designed to detect the initial primary waves, commonly known as p-waves, generated by a seismic event. P-waves are much typically much less damaging and travel faster than the more dangerous secondary waves, or s-waves that come soon after. As such, being able to detect p-waves, determine their point of origin, calculate their intensity and project how far they will travel will provide a small but valuable buffer before the s-waves arrive. This buffer can range from a a handful of seconds to a few minutes. Though some small-scale earthquake early warning systems currently exist in the world, very few nations have developed a national system.

The system isn’t perfect - the closer an area is to an earthquake, the less warning it will receive. Areas in very close proximity to an earthquake will receive no warning simply because the p-waves have not traveled far enough ahead of the s-waves. Additionally, it’s important to note the system isn’t an earthquake prediction system. While scientists can make educated guesses as to which faults are at most risk of a major earthquake, to predict precisely when, where and how hard an earthquake will strike is not possible.

Despite these limitations, and that an additional few seconds or minutes may not seem like a significant amount of time, Dr. Lucy Johns, professor of Seismology at the National Aztec University in Tenochitlán, said every second counts. “Depending on the design, an emergency shut-down of an nuclear reactor can take just a few seconds. Electronic train control systems can respond and start to slow down and stop trains. Back-up systems for critical infrastructure can be brought online more quickly. It may not seem a lot to the average person, but in terms of disaster response, it’s incredibly important.”

The system, which is ran jointly between the Bureau of Emergency Response and Management, a number of universities and the Aztec Central Military Command, will be rolled out in phases. During the first phase, alerts from the system will only be sent to central and regional emergency management offices, municipalities and critical infrastructure systems like power plants, refineries and water systems. However, once the system’s reliability is at a satisfactory level, alerts for larger seismic events will be broadcast on media and notifications pushed to mobile devices.

Though the system is still in its infancy, Dr. Johns said it was a meaningful step in the right direction. “Earthquakes are going to happen, but with a little preparation, they may not be disasters.”
The Nahuatl Altepetl of Aztec National League
“The Vanguard of Aztlán!”
Founded September 24, 2003
Factbook | Embassy Exchange | Military (Coming Soon) | ANL GDP Calculator | Map

"I find the label "Inoffensive Centrist Democracy" offensive!" - Me

Romberg
Senator

Founded: Mar 15, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Romberg » Mon May 09, 2016 2:11 pm

1 Mar 2016

Heroes

Today, two separate batches of heroes are welcomed back home.

First to arrive at around noon were the athletes sent by the Imperial Realm of Romberg to participate at the Winter Olympics as part of the Astyrian Unified Team. Unfortunately, Rombergian athletes have not been able to win any medals for the individual events they were sent for. However, the mixed men's hockey team was able to win in its event, having completed an unbeaten run throughout. This was no doubt thanks to the spectacular performance of all the members, including several representatives from our very own nation. As a reward for their success, the Rombergian athletes part of the Astyrian Men's Hockey Team shall be awarded a three-year full tax break, as well as personal nobility with the title of "Ritter" or Knight. Another interesting event to note was the presence of the Rombergian team at the Men's Yukigassen (snowball) event, where a section of our military, with no prior training and very little knowledge of the sport in the first place performed credibly in the games. Though we did not win, we did manage to advance into the knockout stages of the sport, having beaten the host nation among others. Overall, this once again proved that sport does transcend the bounds of nationality, and the government has made an effort to increase Rombergian participation in worldwide sports events in the future, although hopefully with more female participation in the spirit of equality next time.

The second batch to arrive was a much more sombre affair in all. From decree, and following the signature of a peace treaty, the Kaiser of Romberg has declared a withdrawal of all Rombergian soldiers Lorecia, allowing the nominal governments of Glisandia and the Yellow Star Republic to take over civil control over their lands. For the first time in several years, peace has returned to the Rombergian lands. Rombergian casualties in the conflict have numbered in the hundreds in total, with the bulk being in the final assault over Southern Glisandia which completely broke Yellosian morale and compelled them to an unconditional surrender. As a result, once again Glisandia is returned to its pre-war size and state. However, a small batch of Rombergian soldiers would not return to Romberg immediately, but head Northwest to near the Auroran border to meet up with and act as security for a Rombergian research team who would be investigating the culture and language of the tundra natives of the sparsely populated Lorecian interior. The majority of forces however are to be withdrawn back to Romberg over the course of one month, and today marks the first flight of soldiers back to their homeland. In a televised speech on the tarmac, the Kaiser thanked them for their service to both the nation and to enforcing peace and combating aggression. He also emphasised the need for legitimacy in Rombergian operations abroad, pointing out that approval from Nouvel Ecosse was indeed sought out before any Rombergian troop movements were made to deploy soldiers on the ground.

At the same time, and following on from the previous point, the Kaiser expressed a dedication to ensuring and safeguarding strict neutrality of Romberg in regional affairs. He once again thanked his counterparts in the Eternal Accords of the Three Crowns, the Kings of Maltropia and Nikolia respectively, as guarantors of stability and a force for good, and reaffirmed his dedication to adhering to the regulations and responsibilities of the nation as regulated by the Accords. Yet on the other hand he also expressed a desire to seek further neutral partners in the Astyrian community as a non-partisan third option between the two major competing power blocs in the region. It is expected that some concrete developments on this idea would come to light in further months

For more articles, please access our webpage at http://www.irna.gov.rb.
Proud Member of Astyria.

Info: Population 150 mil. Centrist. Based on a much more competent Austrian Empire with Scandinavian and Russian influences.

Storefronts: Holding Company|Airline|Railway

Romberg
Senator

Founded: Mar 15, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Romberg » Mon May 09, 2016 4:05 pm

16 Mar 2016

National Day 2016

Yesterday marked the 38th anniversary of the reunification of Romberg after the Civil War. As a tradition, many festivities were ordered. Most important among these were the annual military parade at all the major cities in the nation, showing off both the military strength of the armed forces as well as the most advanced equipment on offer. This year was without exception. The Imperial-Royal Navy was the focus of this years' parade, having been overshadowed by the Army and Air Force in previous years. The most important equipment displayed this year were the new multirole carrierborne fighters freshly bought and raised into the Rombergian navy, which would be the backbone of airborne naval capacity of the Imperial-Royal Armed Forces. These aircraft would be operated on the two new aircraft carriers operated by the Navy, which are smaller compared to previous vessels in the spirit of military downsizing and reorganisation pursued by Central Military Command in recent years, but are better equipped to suit the new doctrine of the military, as well as the requirements of modern warfare today.

Leading the parade though were the stars of the new and improved Imperial-Royal Army, with the 1st Army having completely revamped and consolidated with three independent combined infantry divisions being the core of the army, and air force, navy and mountain units supporting the operation. This is in contrast to the 2nd and 3rd armies with an organisation more on a corps level rather than on the division level. The greater amount of integration would mean that the independent divisions of the 1st army are capable of operating autonomously, and are better adapted for low intensity operations. The 2nd and 3rd armies shall retain their original organisation as their main purpose as the lead units for national defense have not changed. The 29th Division of the 1st Army was present in the Lorecian conflict, and are now officially organised as one of the three divisions, with the other two being the 1st and the 55th. All members of the 29th Division present in the parade were veterans of the Lorecian conflict, who had arrived back home not long ago. Their presence at the forefront of the military parade is an act of gratitude by the Kaiser and the government towards their services to the nation.

Nobility Defined

In a separate decree published yesterday, the Kaiser sought to officially codify the rights and regulations of Rombergian nobility. Most rules for ennoblement have been kept the same as previously, although the pool of potential electors have been expanded to 50000. The system of clanship into the three main "houses" based on birth location has also been abolished,with nobility directly applied to the awardee's previous surname. Enfeoffment is still however possible on the books, with an estate or land being granted to a person as part of the award of nobility as a grant. For these persons, the surname would be before the "von" while the territorial designation would be after. Thus, non-hereditary (lifetime) nobility would all have the right to be electors, with a person who is both Ritter and Edler automatically elevated to Graf. Once again, hereditary upper nobility (considered part of "hereditary noble families") and inherited non-hereditary nobility (children of upper life nobles) would not be allowed any special rights, although those who were ennobled in their own right with a life peerage would affix this to their original title. These persons would then be eligible to be electors.

All nobles would henceforth be allowed to bear a coat of arms, with a special section in the Department for Public Records being set up for such uses. Coat of Arms designs are to be unique or not in use for at least 100 years unless all living members have agreed to sharing the design - in which case differencing of the arms must be present. In addition, nobles are also allowed to wear a sword for formal occasions, while commoners could only be unarmed. The sword however is purely ceremonial, and any usage of it would be bound under relevant weapons laws of the nation. With regards to crime too, a more severe scale is used with respect to non-hereditary nobles as they are expected that nobles are to be held at a higher level of scrutiny. Thus, should a non-hereditary noble be convicted of a crime which warrants the death penalty, then the death penalty must be applied. Forms of address have also been standardised across the board for nobles. Of note is the lack of "highness" in any form whatsoever, to stress the equality of all and that prestige should not be determined by birth. This was the rationale for making Rombergian standard nobility non-hereditary in the first place.

In addition, the Kaiser is proud to announce that two additional families have been conferred hereditary nobility. Both would have been considered Counts in their original countries, but under Rombergian law have accepted the new title of Baron (Freiherr).

They are:

Freiherr von Christianborg: Of Danish and Italian descent, this family made a fortune by banking, and through intrigue and inheritance became one of the largest landowners in their homelands, as well as possessing significant estates in Romberg. With the changing political climate, and several tragedies back home, they have decided to naturalise into Rombergian society and are known for being patrons of the arts and music. Individual members have also been responsible for assisting in the breaking of Rombergian isolation, thereby contributing to the growth of the Rombergian state.

Freiherr Kräheraue von Kiesheim: Of English and Hanoverian descent, this was a family of landed gentry and soldiers, having always served their lieges faithfully and hence duly rewarded. A collateral branch of the family emigrated to Romberg and was responsible for the reorganisation of Rombergian military forces on the eve of the Personal Union, and over time this is the sole surviving line of the family. They could well be considered the founders of the modern Rombergian military, transforming it from a feudal levy to a volunteer force.

For more articles, please access our webpage at http://www.irna.gov.rb.
Last edited by Romberg on Mon May 09, 2016 4:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Member of Astyria.

Info: Population 150 mil. Centrist. Based on a much more competent Austrian Empire with Scandinavian and Russian influences.

Storefronts: Holding Company|Airline|Railway

Neu Engollon
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 13, 2012

Postby Neu Engollon » Fri May 13, 2016 2:00 am

SQUEEDORK!
Last edited by Neu Engollon on Fri Mar 01, 2024 6:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.
TG me with questions if you got some, especially about GE&T or PMCs.
My Factbook
Important Neu Engollian Links.
'The Forest was shrinking, but the trees kept voting for the axe. For the axe was clever and convinced the trees that because his handle was wood, he was one of them."

Lexmark
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Continuing Coverage of the Taurus VII Mission

Postby Lexmark » Fri May 13, 2016 10:16 am

ImageImageImage

[ ENGLISH VERSION ]|BY MIREILLE LAURENT|MLAURENT@SRN.CO.SR

Marquein, Lairière Prefecture+
The historic first manned-mission to the Moon in the history of the Seraphic Republic is on its way, as the crew of the Taurus VII spacecraft took-off from the Sigma Sud Launch Facility late yesterday evening on its way towards its historic rendezvous. The mission marks the culmination of over three decades of preparation for the nation's governing aeronautical and space administration, the Science et Technologie Agence Aéronautique de la République—or STAAR—beginning with Project Hermes back in 1984. The launch puts the vehicle on track for lunar orbit insertion on the evening of May 15th, roughly two-and-a-half days from now.

"This is the biggest achievement in our country's history with manned spaceflight," STAAR press liaison Michel Sicard announced this morning at the official Mission Press Briefing. "When they step onto the lunar surface, it'll be indescribable."

The Taurus VII spacecraft lifted off from Sigma Sud at 7:37 PM Seraphic Time Thursday, reaching Earth orbit some-twelve minutes thereafter. After jettisoning its spent fuel stages, the ship began its Trans-Lunar Injection (TLI) burn, the maneuver which sends the spacecraft on its way to the Moon, shortly after 11 PM. The entire mission should last approximately seven days.

Nearly 3,000 special diplomats and guests, including Contrôleur Césare Guérin and Solliciteur Général Léandre Michaud watched the launch in-person at Sigma Sud; Proconsul Alexandre III watched from his estate in Citadelle Royán. Hundreds of planetariums hosted launch parties to capture the event. A crowd of almost one hundred thousand people gathered at Place Central in center city Saint-Catherines to watch the launch on a specially-constructed viewing screen in the main plaza.

One celebrant could barely contain his enthusiasm. "Vive la Cassonne! Vive la Liberté!"

Colonel Alessandra Solomon of Sallèles-Cabardès is the mission commander for Taurus VII, and will be the first astronaut out of the Lunar Lander Sunday should all go well. This will be Solomon's fourth space flight: she flew on the Aries XII mission in 2005, then served as Command Module Pilot on Taurus I in 2011. She also flew the experimental Délivrance spacecraft in 2007 to deliver emergency supplies to the Topaze Orbital Platform when the station suffered an unexpected failure in its life-support systems.

She is joined on the flight crew by Capitaine Sacha Cornett of Fontiès-d'Aude and Lieutenant Merci Masson of Mayronnes, each on their second flight. Cornett last flew as the mission commander on Aries XVII, and will pilot the Lunar Lander Apollon during the moonshot. Masson, a veteran of the science corps on Topaze, will remain in orbit around the Moon piloting the Command Module Gémeaux. Masson will be tasked with scouting future landing sites on the surface while orbiting overhead.

"The crew of Taurus VII represent the very best of us," Sicard said. "The term heroic doesn't even begin to describe them."

Admiral (Ret.) Olivier Deneuve, the first Cassonnaise astronaut to travel to space back in 1984 in Liberté 9 during the first manned mission of Project Hermes was on hand Friday morning at the press briefing. "The Cassonnaise Space Program has been working towards this goal for a long time. Through the men and women here on the ground, and the astronauts of Hermes, Aries, the Navette Program, and now Taurus; we are boldly moving to a new horizon."

"We've been waiting for this moment for almost thirty years," Deneuve said. "I can't believe it's finally at hand."

The mission is expected to be the first of four scheduled lunar landings by the year 2020.