NATION

PASSWORD

When the Heavens Fall [MT, Semi-Open]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Glascovia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 10, 2013
Ex-Nation

When the Heavens Fall [MT, Semi-Open]

Postby Glascovia » Fri Mar 22, 2013 2:45 pm

OOC: Please TG me if you would like to RP in this thread. Everyone's certainly welcome to participate, but I want to make sure that this thread tells a story. Moreover, I don't want to see nukes, godmoding, techwanking, unstoppable billion-man armies, etc., and I don't want to see a bunch of one-line or poorly written posts.

Imperial Disciplinary Barracks
Castra Ammaedara, Lindisseia Insula, Glascovia
14 June, anno Imperii CXIX
22:01

“Good evening. This is the GBC Imperial Service, live in Cansæ, at twenty-two hundred hours. Tomorrow marks the tenth anniversary of the infamous Ides of June bombings. Four hundred and seven individuals perished a decade ago when Glascovian Republican Army extremists bombed a high-speed train traveling between Sciiamchiamensis and Cansæ. In the course of Glascovian history, the incident stands as the single largest loss of life in a single day since the Second World War.

“While the government intends to mark the bombings with a commemoration ceremony tomorrow afternoon, Consul Maxentius stressed today that the GRA’s ‘dangerous ideology of a capitalistic republic’ has been thoroughly thwarted by concerted military and law enforcement campaigns over the past decade. ‘I am confident that these republican terrorists no longer pose a threat to the Empire or its subjects,’ a press release from the consul’s office stated. ‘No longer need we fear an unhinged minority that seeks to—”

The radio in the prison cell shut off abruptly just as the lights switched out. “I was listening to that!” the prisoner cried out indignantly.

“Curfew starts at ten, Hakeswill,” a passing prison guard replied brusquely. “Warden’s orders.”

Aurelio Hakeswill slumped back in his cot, listening to the guard’s plodding footsteps recede in the distance. For four years, Hakeswill, a key GRA leader and financier, had languished in this prison cell—but not for much longer.

While his appeal to the courts had fared poorly, Aurelio’s fleeting access to legal counsel had given him a valuable glimpse as to what his comrades in arms were up to. Neither Hakeswill nor his revolutionary brothers were not so naïve as to trust his attorney with the details of the plot, but the lawyer had sufficed to convey the thrust of the GRA’s message: the Ides of June would mark the resurgence of a free, capitalist Glascovia—a land where the people’s economic potential could flourish unhindered by a suffocating state bureaucracy.

Novus ordo seclorum,” Hakeswill whispered to himself, recalling vestiges of his bygone, long-since-underutilized classical education. “Iam nova progenies cælo demittitur alto.

The University of Glascovia at Aquæ Flaviæ
Aquæ Flaviæ, Glascovia
15 June anno Imperii CXIX
09:00

“Serving as Praetor of the Empire for Education has certainly placed a lot of responsibilities on the shoulders of this Highland schoolteacher,” the young, red-haired woman at the center of the cobblestone courtyard said into the microphone. “But the job certainly has its perks, and among those perks is the opportunity to inaugurate a new chapter for the Aquæ Flaviæ Law School.”

The audience congregated around the praetor applauded warmly; she paused to flash a demure smile to the throng of professors and lawyers around her. Only a Congressional representative for two years, and a member of the Imperial government for just one, Praetor Appia Victricia Mackenzie still considered herself a political neophyte.

“While learning can take place anywhere, the completion of Tiberius Coruncanius Hall endows the law school with a facility commensurate with the quality of its legal education. With access to technologically state-of-art mock courtrooms, and one of the largest, most sophisticated law libraries in Glascovia—”

A sea of smartphones ringing in near unison briefly broke Appia’s concentration, as the crowd checked their mobiles and began murmuring to one another. Even the praetor took a quick moment to discreetly see why her own phone had so rudely interrupted her ribbon-cutting speech.

<Civil emergency declared in Cansæ.
Travel within Collis Capitolinus halted by order of prefectural aedile.
Further information forthcoming presently.>

Civil emergency, the praetor snorted to herself. Talk about a load of rubbish—odds are that squirrelly milquetoast’s just in a state over some bloody solar flares.

“Beg your pardon,” Appia said to the crowd, which was clearly as confused as she was by the emergency alert. “As I was saying, this new facility will allow the attorneys cultivated here to be better able to make their mark on this country—

Another cacophony of shrill chimes rippled through the crowd.

<All inter- and intra-national travel suspended by order of the Imperial Gendarmerie.
Citizens advised to remain in their homes.>

Appia could merely stare at the small, back-lit screen in puzzlement. A part of the praetor’s brain recalled her days in the classroom and urged her to press on with the speech, but her mouth seemed incapable of doing anything more than moving silently up and down.

“Madam Praetor,” a male voice next to her whispered suddenly. An Imperial Security Service badge briefly glimmered in the sunlight before disappearing into the man’s suit jacket just as quickly. “I have orders to remove you to a safer location. Please, follow me.” The man’s hand curled around Appia’s slender arm, guiding her politely but forcefully from her podium.

“If you all will kindly excuse me,” Appia shouted out to the crowd as a small contingent of plain-clothes Security Service officers surrounded her and ushered her away from the campus. “I’m so terribly sorry for the hasty exit!”

Indagare Anchorage (Via Navalis @ Via Praesidii)
Cansæ, Glascovia
15 June anno Imperii CXIX
09:37

Brigadier Charles Tiberius Dolabella tapped a bloody finger on the smudged, nigh-illegible map of Cansae nailed to the side of an overturned food truck on one of the wharf’s piers. “So the Imperial Grenadier Guards are grappling with the enemy here?” he asked the sweaty, swaying lance corporal standing at attention next to him.

“Yes… yes, sir,” the enlisted man replied between gasps for air. “1st Cohort, Imperial Grenadier Guards, Legio VII Cruenta reports engaging hostile combatants—maybe three hundred, three hundred and fifty, sir, I couldn’t say for sure—at the Cansæ Power & Light Tower. May I… may I sit down, sir?”

The brigadier peered over his glasses at the soldier for a fleeting second. “No, not just yet, corporal,” he replied curtly. “I need you to run over to Via Excelsior and Via Auspicis —tell the major heading up the City of Olympia Regiment to swing around and cut off any enemy retreat from the Power & Light district. We can’t afford to let those bastards escape.”

“Sir, right away, sir,” the lance corporal said back. He managed to exhaustedly raise his arm in salute before hurriedly marching off.

“Waging war by messenger,” the brigadier groaned. “Gods give me strength!”

Brigadier Dolabella turned to his adjutant, a wiry, African colonel Dolabella had known since they studied mathematics together at Corragia State. The colonel was wringing his hands together nervously and making a great big show of perusing the tactical map—Dolabella knew exactly what this meant.

“So I take it the major general didn’t pull through, did he, Raila?” he said, sighing with resignation.

“No, afraid not,” the colonel answered. “Doc said he hung in there for a good long while, but, you know—VX is one hell of a weapon. How the hell did the GRA manage to get their hands on that?”

“Your guess is as good as mine. And have we heard anything from the defense ministry? Or even some other units outside Capitoline Hill?”

“Not a thing, Charlie, not a thing. HQ at the Forum Gloriae was one of the first targets hit, and I’m fairly confident that the minister, the chiefs of staff, and a good chunk of the division commanders were all gassed. Hard to say for sure though—so much goddamn radio chatter I can hardly make sense of what’s going on, much less get a hold of anybody.”

“Fuck. Tell me you’ve got some good news for me.”

“I hate to disappoint, but I’ve got nothing. The civvies in Congress are dead, our military’s been decapitated—on a scale of ‘one’ to ‘grim,’ I’d say we’re screwed.”

“Sir, I’ve got something on the radio!” cried a private, running towards the brigadier and his colonel with a piece of paper clutched tightly in his hands. “Just a moment ago, sir, on all frequencies—government, civilian, you name it.”

“Let me see that,” Dolabella said, taking the paper from the private. “Dismissed.” The radio operator saluted and hurried back to his post.

<This is an official Imperial broadcast, pursuant to 10 C.L.I. § 4515. 
All government praetors and ministers are instructed to go to Consular Directive 51.>

<Repeat: This is an official Imperial broadcast, pursuant to 10 C.L.I. § 4515.
All government praetors and ministers are instructed to go to Consular Directive 51.>

“That can’t bode well,” Dolabella muttered after he finished reading the message aloud.

“What on God’s green earth does that even mean?” Raila said, puzzled.

“It means that the emperor, the consul, and the lion’s share of the Imperial cabinet have all been killed or incapacitated,” Dolabella replied slowly, stunned somewhat by the message in his hands. “So now any surviving members of government will reply to that broadcast, and the automated systems at the Central Government War Headquarters will determine who’ll take power.”

“And what if nobody survived to reply to this, er, Directive 51 message?”

To that, Brigadier Dolabella had no response.

Castra Ammaedara
Lindisseia Insula, Glascovia
15 June, anno Imperii CXIX
10:44

“I figured I’d get you a present when you were finally released from custody,” Adalberto Caracciolo, the GRA’s second-in-command said to Hakeswill as they walked through the military base. “So here it is—Castra Ammaedara. It’s all yours.”

Hakeswill took a deep breath, indulging in the twin luxuries of fresh air and victory. It had been too long since he had enjoyed either.

“Well, isn’t this a sight,” Hakeswill sighed, surveying the field of corpses littering the base’s parade grounds. “I must say, Adalberto, you’ve done some damn fine work here.”

“Thanks,” Adalberto Caracciolo, the GRA’s second-in-command replied. “But I can’t take all the credit. After all, we could have hardly seized this fort had we not had overwhelming firepower. Those Lyrian guns pack one hell of a punch.”

The two men paused to watch a flurry of GRA fighters pour out of one of the magazines, clutching boxes of ammunition close to their chests. Despite the plethora of guns with which Lyrian Arms had provided them, the rebels couldn’t afford to leave even a single bullet behind—lest it end up back in the hands of the Imperial Army.

“An hour and thirty-three minutes,” Hakeswill said, shaking his head. “I languished in those miserable cells for five years—beaten, tortured, starved—and it just took our men an hour and a half to free me. Absolutely amazing.”

“Don’t marvel too much, my old friend,” Adalberto cautioned. “We might have seized the island fortress of Castra Ammaedara, but wresting just one inch of the mainland from the Empire’s despotic hands will be no easy task. Getting past the Imperial Navy alone will require a miracle, not to mention—”

“Have faith, Adalberto,” Hakeswill interrupted. “If what you’ve told me is true, our attack on Cansæ was successful beyond our wildest dreams. Their consul lies dead, and their military leaders along with him—as we speak the Empire’s lackeys are scrambling just to figure out who’s in charge, not planning a counterattack.”

“But when they do appoint a new consul, surely they will—”

“You give them too much credit! Who might have survived our assault, if anyone? Do you really think that—oh, I don’t know, the praetor for education, say—can really pose a threat to us?”

HMS Margrave of Cansæ
Aquæ Flaviæ Harbor, Aquæ Flaviæ, Glascovia
11:01

“Pursuant to Directive 51, Ms. Appia Mackenzie stands as the sole successor to the consulship,” an older man, clad in black robes and a long, powdered wig said to the crowd clustered on the battleship’s upper deck. Appia stood next to the Second Circuit judge, uncomfortable with the position of authority she was about to assume.

“Never in Glascovia’s history has a consul been sworn in under such ghastly circumstances, and I wish that this ceremony could proceed under happier circumstances—but the Empire requires a helmsman to steer us through these trying times. I shall now administer the oath of office,” the judge continued. He gave Appia a reassuring, albeit brief, smile. Unfortunately, it did little to distract Appia from the throng of reporters clustered around her on the battleship’s deck, or from the incessant flashing of myriad cameras. The judge cleared his throat. “Madam Praetor, please repeat after me.”

Appia nodded, fighting the look of shell shock that threatened to dance across her face. Despite her best efforts, Appia’s hand trembled as she held it aloft; never in her wildest dreams had this former fourth-grade teacher contemplated the events transpiring around her.

“In the presence of the pantheon, I, Appia Victricia Mackenzie, do solemnly swear…”

“In the presence of the pantheon, I, Appia Victricia Mackenzie, do solemnly swear…”

“…that I will uphold the Articuli Imperii of the Second Glascovian Empire, that I will dedicate myself wholly to the service and welfare of the Empire…”

“…that I will uphold the Articuli Imperii of the Second Glascovian Empire, that I will dedicate myself wholly to the service and welfare of the Empire…”

“…and that I will faithfully execute the Office of the Consul.”

“…and that I will faithfully execute the Office of the Consul.” Appia’s voice cracked slightly as she repeated that phrase, and she struggled to maintain her composure.

“May the gods direct and sustain me.”

“May the gods direct and sustain me.”

OOC2: Information about Glascovia may be found in my factbook.
Last edited by Glascovia on Sun Apr 14, 2013 8:28 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The Second Glascovian Empire
Consul: Appia Victricia Mackenzie | Empress: Annia Galeria IV (regent yet to be appointed)
RP In Progress: When the Heavens Fall

Riparian March
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Riparian March » Fri Mar 22, 2013 3:30 pm

TO His Imperial Majesty Emperor Justinian, Madam Consul Mackenzie, and the Glascovian People,

On behalf of His Serene Highness Maximilian Hendrick Wenzel III Prince of the Riparian March and his subjects, we offer our condolences and our assistance in this time both of sorrow and need. It is times like these, when the rule of law is challenged by violent thugs, who know neither mercy nor compassion, that all nations must stand together for what is right and what is just. We know no other consolation for the dead, than that they shall be avenged.

Sincerely Your Servant,
Count Rodbaer
All tips and pointers are appreciated.
Then register your dynasty here: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=225068

Westforde
Civil Servant

Founded: Jan 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Westforde » Fri Mar 22, 2013 4:52 pm

Recipient: Her Excellency, Appia Victricia Mackenzie. Consul of The Second Empire of Glascovia
Origin: President Fitzgerald Powers Sherman. President of Westforde
Subject: Immediate Relief and Assistance

Greetings,

Before I go on further, I find it only necessary and proper to introduce myself. I am President Fitzgerald Powers Sherman, President of The United Republic of Westforde and all of it's territories.

It has come to the attention of the Government of Westforde that an organized terrorist attack has been orchestrated from within your nation. Intelligence suggests that the Emperor and most of his Imperial Cabinet are either KIA or MIA. It seems that the duty of leading Glascovia as Consul has fallen to you. With no clear monarch in the picture, you are at this moment, the sole leader of 370 million people. The luxury of comfortably choosing the Imperial Cabinet has been snatched from you, your capital lay is recovering from a terrorist attack and your soldiers are valiantly fighting. Keeping the rebels at bay.

Under normal circumstances, the Congress would have gone through the natural process of declaring war and all things ceremonial. But I as well as the congress can see that in your situation. There is no time for the pleasant precedents set forth by those before us. It is with this in mind that The United Republic of Westforde and all of it's territories offer an adviser team in hopes of dealing with the insurrectionists in Glascovia swiftly.

• General Shelvin Chase - Supreme Commander of The 8th Army - Potentially advise the Consul on the defense of Cansae and outlying districts

• General Joe Chambers - Logistical Commander of the 4th Corp - Potentially advise Glascovian generals on logistical routes and troop movement

• Lieutenant General Benjamin Banner - Commander of 1st Corp - Potentially advise Glascovian generals on field operations and offensive/defensive
    measures

• Colonel William Jackson - Former personal detail to the President - Potential personal detail to the Consul (Adviser on matters of ruling nation)

• Dr. Robert Fulton - Undersecretary of Homeland Security - Could Potentially help with propaganda

OFF RECORD: On a complete side note Appia, Colonel Jackson possesses "abilities" attributed only to the most elite of Westordian Special Agents. If you reject everyone but him. I would be satisfied. If you were to ever come under attack he will certainly keep your safety first. [END]

The Congress as well as I hope you consider our offer carefully.

Sincerely,

Fitzgerald Powers Sherman

President of Westforde

Glascovia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Glascovia » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:10 pm

Encryption: Low

The Rt. Hon. Appia Victricia Mackenzie, RC
Government House
1 Via Augusta
Cansæ, Glascovia FCH 0001

President Fitzgerald Powers Sherman
The United Republic of Westforde

Dear President Sherman,

Glascovia suffered a terrible loss today—one which imperils the very foundation of our society and way of life. While we struggle to come to terms with this devastating attack, the knowledge that the international community supports our people brings me great comfort.

Rest assured, however, that the Empire will vanquish the existential threat presented by the Glascovian Republican Army. I have summoned the surviving leadership of the Armed Forces of the Glascovian Crown to the government's temporary headquarters, and intend to orchestrate a counter-attack that will eliminate these terrorists once and for all. As Glascovia marshals its forces for its campaign, Westfordian assistance in planning the defense of Cansæ would prove extremely helpful. With your consent, I will see to it that arrangements are made for General Shelvin Chase to be safely brought into the country.

The Empire appreciates Westforde's succor in its time of need—and it does not forget those who have come its aid. On behalf of the Glascovian people, I thank you.

Yours faithfully,

Appia Victricia Mackenzie
Consul, Second Glascovian Empire
Consul: Appia Victricia Mackenzie | Empress: Annia Galeria IV (regent yet to be appointed)

Romberg
Senator

Founded: Mar 15, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Romberg » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:31 pm

Her Excellency, Appia Victricia Mackenzie. Consul of The Second Empire of Glascovia,

We regret the decimation of the government due to the terrorist attack, and send you our deepest condolences.

As a friendly state, we offer to the Second Empire of Glascovia 10 000 men and women of the 1st Military Police Corps to help maintain order in the country. In addition, we shall also dedicate 15 000 highly trained and well equipped men and women of the 10th Legion Expeditionary Forces to help combat the terrorist threat if needed. They will be commanded by General Andrei Högel. We are willing to offer further military aid as well. Please reply if this assistance is required

Kaiser Hans Jerkov II
The Principality of Romberg
Proud Member of Astyria.

Info: Population 150 mil. Centrist. Based on a much more competent Austrian Empire with Scandinavian and Russian influences.

Storefronts: Holding Company|Airline|Railway

Kuhlfros
Senator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kuhlfros » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:32 pm

To: GRA
Encryption: High
To whom it may concern, it has come to our attention of you combat for capitalism and freedom, we being a private industry always try to support the capitalistic way. That being said we would like to offer you our amounts of weaponry.
From High flying VTOL gunships and Railguns to small close combat knives and pistols we make it all with our state of the art technology.
You can fill an order to us and we will bring it to you in less than a month no matter what size.
And to show how much we wish to support your work we will make all orders 40% off original price.
Please accept or offer and we hope for your victory.
Bart Miest CEO of MistLight Arms
OOC: Kuhlfros itself may get involved later if things pick up
Kuhlfros
Member of Greater Ixnay
[21:48] <Kuhl> ∞/10
[21:50] <Shy> AND KUHLFROS SAID UNTO THE EARTH: LET THERE BE SPECIAL SYMBOLS FOR THE RATING OF BLAMESHIFT OUT OF TEN
[21:50] <Shy> AND THE WORLD COMPLIED
[21:50] <Kuhl> I just googled the infinity symbol XD
[21:52] <Kuhl> BUT I WILL GO WITH IT
[21:52] <Shy> ALL HAIL
[21:53] <Shy> THE VIKING GOD KULHFROS
[21:53] <Kuhl> OFF TO VALHALLA

Romberg
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Romberg » Fri Mar 22, 2013 9:44 pm

Her Excellency, Appia Victricia Mackenzie. Consul of The Second Empire of Glascovia

It is with utmost regret to inform you that we are unable to send the 10th Legion to the Second Empire of Glascovia due to constitution barring us from engaging in state military forces. Our 1st Military Police Corps will still help maintain order in the country though. However, our state-owned arms company, Imperial Armoury and Arsenal Corp. shall provide the Glascovian military with arms for free, and we shall also provide material support such as food, fuel and funds.

Kaiser Hans Jerkov II.
Proud Member of Astyria.

Info: Population 150 mil. Centrist. Based on a much more competent Austrian Empire with Scandinavian and Russian influences.

Glascovia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Glascovia » Sat Mar 23, 2013 9:22 am

OOC @ Romberg: I don’t want to clutter the thread up with a bunch of back-and-forth letters, so consider your offer graciously accepted with the gratitude of the new government. 10,000 seems a bit disproportionate though—perhaps a thousand instead?

Auspex Park (Via Agninus @ Via St. Catharinæ)
Cansæ, Glascovia
13:25

“Incoming!”

Brigadier Dolabella ducked behind a stone planter as a mortar round exploded overhead, setting fire to a grove of cherry trees that hitherto swayed peacefully in the breeze. Legio VII Cruenta had slowly but steadily been pushing the GRA fighters towards the northeastern corner of St. Matthew’s Peninsula and out of central Cansæ. Hours of bloody, block-to-block fighting had driven the terrorists into three-square mile Auspex Park, on the peninsula’s tip. Cornered, the GRA thrashed about violently, perhaps hoping to do as much damage as possible before the Imperial Army drove them into the sea.

Cornered or not, Dolabella thought. A lot of blood remains to be shed before we can claim victory.

The brigadier picked himself up, brushing off a fine layer of rubble and soot from his uniform. Dolabella knew that relocating his field command from the wharf necessarily entailed some risk, but he preferred to be close to the action. Not only was he used to a hands-on style of leadership, but when the GRA traitors were pulverized by Imperial forces, he wanted to witness the carnage first-hand.

“Raila!” he barked. “Where are we at?”

Emerging from behind a wrought-iron park bench, Colonel Raila Nyondo hurried over to Dolabella’s position, clutching a tattered map in his hand as he ran over.

“Besides perilously close to getting shot in the face?” Raila laughed. “Let me show you.”

Both officers knelt down on the grass, futilely trying to smooth down the map. Dolabella smirked as he read the map’s cheery title, “Visit Cansae!” Now torn, partially burned, and smudged with sweat, the map’s friendly suggestion to tourists seemed profoundly out of place.

“All right, you and I are here,” Raila said, pulling out a red pen and making a small mark. At this point, the map had tracked so many troop movements and engagements, it was hardly legible—but the colonel still diligently tried to update it at every turn. “The Margrave of Cansæ’s Imperial Regiment has taken position along the southern edge of the park, and Princess Tiberia’s Own Rifles has fortified the park’s western periphery. The Loyal Lindisseia Regiment’s advanced about a thousand feet into Auspex Park’s southwestern corner, but the GRA’s pretty heavily entrenched and their advance has stalled for now.”

“We can’t afford to push them too hard, lest they pack up and try to flee across St. Apollos Bridge,” Dolabella muttered, shaking his head. “The last thing we need is for them to make a run for Ylvernis before we’re ready for them. Have we secured the bridge’s eastern terminus yet?”

“As you ordered, the Imperial Grenadier Guards and the City of Olympia Regiment have regrouped and moving into position,” Raila replied. “But since they have to go the long way, they won’t be fully prepared for another few hours.”

“Damn.”

“Still, Charlie, the artillery’ll do a decent job of keeping them in place. Plus, I talked to our divisional air assets, and they should have some helicopter gunships ready for us in a bit. And rumor has it that the Rombergians are sending some reinforcements to assist, so that’s gotta be good.”

“Fine, fine,” the brigadier sighed. “We need more men for the final assault anyway. When will Legio V Ferrata get here?”

“Uh, well, that’s a good question,” Raila replied. He knew that the brigadier wouldn’t take this particular bit of news well. “And I think that the best answer I can provide is that they aren’t.”

“Beg your pardon?” Dolabella said, his temper flaring. “What do you mean, ‘they aren’t?’”

“Mind you, there’s a hell of a lot of confusion out there,” Raila said, trying to soothe the increasingly furious brigadier. “But when our radio guys got the Fifth Legion CO on the horn, he said that they were redeploying to Riduna, on direct order of the consul—or so he said, at least.”

“Great, just great,” Dolabella spat. “And just which erstwhile low-level bureaucrat is fucking around with my operations?”

“I’m pretty sure I heard someone say Mackenzie was the new consul. Then again, I also heard that my favorite footballer, Katlego Majoro, was also consul, so you got to take these things with a grain of salt.”

“Mackenzie… where have I heard that before?”

“You know, the Praetor of the Empire for Education?” Dolabella shook his head with a quizzical expression.

“Jesus, Charlie, do you not follow politics at all? C’mon, you know… the hot one?”

“Wait, I think I know who you’re talking about! Really?”

“Really. And that reminds me,” Raila added. “Message from Central Government War Headquarters came through—you’ve been ordered to report there in person. I knew I had forgotten something!”

Wandering Argonians
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Wandering Argonians » Sat Mar 23, 2013 10:08 am

The server room was one of the darker, danker areas of the Argonian Intelligence Service's headquarters building. The cool concrete walls helped to draw the excessive heat away from the numerous banks of processors situated there. That, and the excessive amounts of refrigerated air the central climate control system dumped in the room itself.

Argonians, being a tropically-born species, despised the cold, and those techno-wizards that braved such conditions were dedicated souls indeed. Dedicated, and warmly dressed, at least. What had brought the Intelligence Director down to the cold bowels of the building was a recent report stemming from a rash of terrorist activity in a nation called 'Glascovia'. A guerrilla force espousing the principles of a capitalist republic had recently overtaken a military base from the government's forces, freeing a long-interred rebel leader in the process.

Normally, this would have been a horrifying event in the great play performed on the World Stage, but to an opportunistic Intelligence Director like Arakesh Quickclaw, this meant that the 'Glascovian Republican Army' had gained some legitimacy in its claim to being a worthy governing party for the nation as a whole. Moreover, it meant that contact needed to be established, and to do so he'd need to send them an email. If they were a modern movement worth their salt, they'd have someone working the cyber warfare angle, and Director Quickclaw intended to prod this individual...

To: Aurelio Hakeswill
Courtesy of: Whom It May Concern

Mr. Hakeswill,

I've recently become aware of the struggle your group is engaged in, and we have a shared interest it seems. Myself and my associates are rather fond of the political ideology you and your followers fight so bravely for, and are willing to give you a hand in exchange for certain favors should your movement rise to power. Mind you, they're nothing extreme, mainly favorable tariffs on certain goods and additional consideration for certain business ventures we shall discuss at a later, and most importantly more secure, time and place. You'll find that this email doesn't have a return address, but any reply you're kind enough to send will reach its intended destination without difficulty.

Sincerly and Best of Luck,

-Q

As the technician finished tapping the message into the email and fired it off into cyberspace, Director Quickclaw eased away from the frigid keyboard. The sooner he was out of this wretched frozen hole, the better...

"There we are. All done, sir. Bit wordy, don't you think?"

The Director shot a glare at the technician, who simply turned back to his workstation and downed a swing from a coffee thermos sitting near his mouse. Between the hot beverages and the thick clothing, he seemed quite well adapted to the environment he'd chosen to work in...

"If I wanted your opinion, Mr. Vekner, I'd have asked you for it. Forward any responses to my office computer and send a general email to Agent Reez, informing him that I may have need of his services and that he is to be ready to move at a moment's notice..."

Mr. Vekner, electronic intelligence specialist and sender of cryptic emails, didn't even acknowledge the order, he simply got to work as the Director departed the chilly server room for climates more suited to the finely-tailored suit he'd chosen to wear that day. Namely, the top-floor office and orthopedic leather chair he'd earned as ring-master of this dysfunctional circus he dared call an intelligence agency...
-Member; NationStates Private Military Corporation Guild (NSPMCG)
-Member; Galactic Economic and Security Organization (GESO)

Glascovia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Glascovia » Sat Mar 23, 2013 1:18 pm

Castra Ammaedara
13:45

Hakeswill peered through his binoculars intently, fixated on the small Imperial Navy destroyer in the distance. For nearly an hour, the vessel had anchored offshore Lindisseia, vainly trying to ascertain why thick, noxious smoke billowed from the fortifications. “Let them eat static,” Hakeswill had crowed when she had first appeared. “And let us see what the Imperial Navy can do these days. Videamus hostem, gentlemen.”

And yet the ship—the HMS Pandion, according to their hails—had proved profoundly disappointing. He had only learned what he already knew—that Glascovia had been lulled into a false sense of security by decades of uninterrupted tranquility. After endless requests for radio contact, the Pandion had moved in closer to establish optical communications with its signal lamp.

His Morse code was rusty, and, besides, Hakeswill really couldn’t care less about what the Empire’s minions had to say. “How close would you say she is, Adalberto? Maybe seven thousand yards?”

“I’d say that’s about right,” Adalberto replied. “Seven thousand, maybe sixty-seven hundred—either way, it’s far too close for comfort.”

“For shame,” Hakeswill chided sarcastically. “A true revolutionary never resists a chance to flirt with danger. But… I suppose you’re right. I believe our friends have overstayed their welcome.”

He fished a walkie-talkie from his pocket. “Coastal batteries, this is Hakeswill. Prepare to fire on the Imperial ship.”

“Firing solution plotted, Chairman. Ready to fire on your command,” his radio crackled back.

“Then fire away,” he said mirthfully. Some distance away, a behemoth coastal gun fired a 380-lb. explosive shell at the Pandion, and Hakeswill watched with satisfaction as the projectile struck the destroyer squarely on the bow. He and Adalberto couldn’t resist breaking out in applause; an Imperial military vessel bursting into flames with the pull of a trigger had long been the stuff of the GRA’s dreams—and today, those dreams were being made manifest.

“Sir?” a young soldier interrupted, assault rifle slung over his shoulder. “I was told to bring this to you.” He extended his arm to hand Hakeswill a small envelope with the words “Priority—EYES ONLY” sloppily scrawled across it.

Hakeswill tore into the envelope and began reading the document within, while the courier squirmed anxiously.

“Intriguing,” he finally said. “Very intriguing. Well, run back and tell them to start working a reply. I’ll be over shortly.”

“Right away!” the courier said, turning to march back to base.

“And tell them to make it look professional! For the gods’ sake, we’re trying to look legitimate here.”

From: Aurelio Hakeswill, Chairman of the Democratic Revolutionary Council, Glascovian Republican Army
To: Codename "Q"

My innominate friend,

Any considerations you and your associates might ask for would be a paltry price for ridding ourselves of the Glascovian Crown. My technically-inclined comrades tell me that establishing such a truly anonymous correspondence is no small feat—and if you're capable of this simply to say 'hello', I can only imagine what else you have in store. I look forward to discussing your offer further; perhaps together we can destroy the Empire once and for all.

Fraternally,
Aurelio Hakeswill

Riparian March
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Riparian March » Sat Mar 23, 2013 4:35 pm

The Riparian Special Envoy for Higher Education, was devastated. This was to be his first stop, he had come to see the University of Glascovia and see how it achieved its reputation. His meeting with the Praetor of Education must be canceled and certainly forgotten. This was a major setback to his career, it could even kill it. His mission already had their budget cut, and he would not be able to secure another appointment. Watching the news in his second rate hotel room, he chucked the remote at the tv. He would make whoever was behind this pay. Certainly that prisoner couldn't have done it alone, right? Maybe he could turn this situation to his advantage, but how?

His phone rang. It was the Embassy, they were evacuating. He could stay, but was advised to keep a low profile. The envoy had an idea, he made a phone call of his own. "Hello, this is Franz von Katze, special envoy from the Riparian March, I was wondering if I could meet with the Consul?"

Glascovia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Glascovia » Sat Mar 23, 2013 7:47 pm

Riparian March wrote:The Riparian Special Envoy for Higher Education, was devastated. This was to be his first stop, he had come to see the University of Glascovia and see how it achieved its reputation. His meeting with the Praetor of Education must be canceled and certainly forgotten. This was a major setback to his career, it could even kill it. His mission already had their budget cut, and he would not be able to secure another appointment. Watching the news in his second rate hotel room, he chucked the remote at the tv. He would make whoever was behind this pay. Certainly that prisoner couldn't have done it alone, right? Maybe he could turn this situation to his advantage, but how?

His phone rang. It was the Embassy, they were evacuating. He could stay, but was advised to keep a low profile. The envoy had an idea, he made a phone call of his own. "Hello, this is Franz von Katze, special envoy from the Riparian March, I was wondering if I could meet with the Consul?"

The Rt. Hon. Appia Victricia Mackenzie, RC
Government House
1 Via Augusta
Cansæ, Glascovia FCH 0001

Franz von Katze
The Principality of the Riparian March

Dear Mr. von Katze,

Perhaps one of the most overlooked casualties of the GRA's treacherous attack was our meeting this morning. Though I sincerely apologize, I trust that you can understand my absence.

While Glascovia suffered a terrible blow this morning, allowing these terrorists to completely disrupt the fabric of society merely grants them another victory. Now more than ever, a skilled, educated population is crucial, and I have no intention of allowing education to become a mere afterthought in the Empire. I will see to it that arrangements are made for you to travel to the government's emergency command. Our meeting may have to be briefer than we originally anticipated, I still hope we can speak for at least a few moments.

Yours faithfully,

Appia Victricia Mackenzie
Consul, Second Glascovian Empire

Romberg
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Some observations by the peacekeeping force

Postby Romberg » Sat Mar 23, 2013 8:54 pm

Her Excellency, Appia Victricia Mackenzie. Consul of The Second Empire of Glascovia

The peacekeeping force, reduced to 2000, of the 1st Military Police corps have been patrolling the streets of Glascovia for around two weeks now. During the time there, it was mostly peaceful, although there is one major observation that we cannot overlook. Word on the streets has it that the GRA actually has a certain amount of support among the civilian population, or at least that was what many people said. While the Principality of Romberg offers unconditional material support to the Empire of Glascovia, we strongly urge peace talks to begin. We do strongly condemn the use of terrorism by the GRA, but that aside, we recognize that freedom of speech should not be silenced in the Empire of Glascovia. We hope that the GRA can cease their policy of terrorism, but at the same time, the Empire of Glascovia to initiate political reforms that would transform from a absolute monarchy to a constitutional monarchy with a democratically elected parliament. We then hope that the Consul would have the grace to sign a peace treaty with the GRA that enables it to transform into a political party that can constructively help in moving the Empire forward. We understand that the assassination is a terrible tragedy for the Empire, but life is too short to hold grudges. It is time to move on.

Kaiser Hans Jerkov II
Proud Member of Astyria.

Glascovia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Glascovia » Sun Mar 24, 2013 12:21 pm

IAF Latebra Arx
Vallis Gratiæ, Glascovia
20:00

Crepuscular light trickled through the conference room’s windows, casting a pall over an already somber meeting. What little remained of the Glascovian government had sought sanctuary here, nestled among the rugged mountains of the Highlands. A relic of a bygone era, Central Government War Headquarters had been established at IAF Latebra Arx to provide the Empire with a refuge—and now, more than ever, the Empire needed one.

Appia had meticulously arranged reams of reports, memos, white papers, and maps all across the long, stainless-steel table stretching the length of the room. Cleanliness, as Glascovian mothers everywhere were fond of saying, was next to godliness, and while some might say that wartime is no time for neatness, Appia firmly believed that organization was essential to meeting the challenges ahead of her. And with Jupiter as my witness, I will meet them, Appia thought. Only an hour ago had Appia and the government’s surviving top officials reached this mountain citadel, and already the new consul had swiftly begun the process of reassembling Imperial governance.

“Madam Consul, I must protest,” cried Alexandra Cornix, the most senior surviving member of the opposition Conservative Party. She tugged at her ragged, torn blazer before continuing. “You haven’t the authority to dissolve Congress and dismiss its representatives! What an extraordinary—“

“Quite so,” Appia interrupted, raising her hand to silence the irate woman. Appia supposed that Cornix had every right to be that way; after all, she had barely made it out of the capitol alive this morning. “I’d be the first to describe these measures as ‘extraordinary’—much like the extraordinary blow our nation suffered this morning. And if we are to survive such a blow, we must take extraordinary measures to preserve our way of life.”

“Have you been out of the classroom so long you’ve forgotten your basics civics lessons?” Cornix replied with a hint of mocking derision. “Without imperial assent, no consul can dissolve Congress; if you’re so concerned about ‘our way of life,’ then surely you can’t just discard the rule of law which we hold dear!”

Appia clenched her teeth. She had only spent an hour with this woman and already she wanted to throw her out a window—preferably one on a tall building. “I have no intention of ignoring the law,” Appia said slowly. “But the emperor was assassinated in his summer home today, and he has been succeeded by his second cousin twice-removed, a thirteen-year-old girl caught completely unprepared.”

Cornix’s mouth flapped indignantly as she struggled to compose a response; undaunted, Appia pressed forward. “Tell me, should I start referring decisions of state to an eighth grader? In due time, Ms. Cornix, a regent will be appointed and the normal interplay between Crown and Congress will be restored—but until then, I will not encumber this government with the panicked bickering of a handful of bureaucrats!”

Defeated for now, Cornix slumped back in her seat sullenly. “Now, moving on,” Appia said authoritatively. She turned to the Army officer at her right, who fidgeted restlessly in his seat. “Brigadier… Dolabella, correct?”

“Yes, ma’am, Brigadier Charles Dolabella,” he replied, clearing his throat. “Reporting as ordered.”

“Wonderful—I’m glad you’re with us,” Appia said, flashing him a quiet smile. She couldn’t help but notice that the brigadier looked striking in his dress grays, but she pushed the thought from her mind. “I’m about as far away as you can get from a general, but I’m fairly confident that we need to understand the strategic situation before we can respond. Brigadier, the floor’s yours.”

“Thank you, ma’am. At present, our tactical analysis suggests that the GRA has few fighters on Glascovia Major proper, though a number of attacks were executed throughout the country. A naval fueling station at Alata Castra was bombed; an RPG blew up a cargo plane at Olympia Municipal Airport; there was an attempted raid on Battersea Barracks, in Calcaria; and, of course, the emperor’s assassination in Parva Abbatia. However, what soldiers they do have were mostly committed to their assault on Cansæ.”

“Has Cansæ been secured?” Cornix brusquely interjected.

“I’m glad you asked,” Dolabella replied. “No, it hasn’t. I had hoped to drive the rebels out by this evening, but we’re locked in a stalemate—they’re cornered, and we don’t have the manpower to attack without suffering unacceptable losses. I can at least say that they aren’t going anywhere.”

Cornix sensed that Mackenzie had something to do with this; she decided to press the matter further. After all, she had no intention of kowtowing to a gods-damn schoolteacher forever. When elections were held after the crisis, Cornix had every intention of winning the consulship—and discrediting the incumbent, as sympathetic as she might be, could only help. “And, pray tell, Brigadier, just why’s that?”

“With respect, I would be able to do my job far better were it not for… political interference,” Dolabella sighed. “Every other military unit’s under direct orders to deploy elsewhere—anywhere but Cansae it seems.”

“Really, Brigadier Dolabella,” Appia protested. “Can’t you see what’s going on? The GRA’s attacking a visible target to distract us from the real thrust of their operations: Lindisseia.”

“Begging your pardon, how the hell is Lindisseia more important than the capital?” Cornix interjected. Appia gritted her teeth again, resisting the urge to strike this insufferable woman.

“Lindisseia furnishes them with a central base of operations, a secure area in which they can marshal their forces and coordinate further attacks,” Appia explained with forced patience. “And the more time we waste, the more time they have to entrench themselves over there. The best case scenario—and, Brigadier, feel free to correct me here—is that we’ll suffer even heavier casualties when we retake Lindisseia; and the worst case scenario is that they’ll try to declare the island an independent state and gain international support. The sooner we strike, the better.”

Brigadier Dolabella leaned back in his chair, pondering the consul’s words. “Very well, Madam Consul, I see your point. But whom do you intend to lead this amphibious assault?”

“You, of course—why else would I pull an officer from the lines?”

“Me, ma’am?” No, that… that can’t be right. I’m just an engineer who was in the wrong place at the wrong time—I have no business commanding an operation like that.”

“And yet you’ve performed admirably in Cansæ,” Appia replied. “And I need an officer I can trust to serve as interim Defense Chief of Staff. So get cracking, Brigadier—the GRA won’t defeat itself.”

Riparian March
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Riparian March » Sun Mar 24, 2013 1:53 pm

Franz began his way to the emergency headquarters. It was very difficult, not only because it remained to him a secret, but because there was a war going on. He decided to travel light and meet up with a friendly army encampment. One where they weren't busy fighting. His credentials would help him with the Imperial Army, the rebels, well he would just avoid them. As a product of the Riparian education system, he knew a lot of military theory and history. If he was healthier, he would have gotten a commission. Instead he was hitching a ride on the other side of the world all in an effort of trying to make an academic career into a diplomatic one. He got into the car that had stopped. "Where are you going?" He asked the driver. "Vindagora" was the answer he received. "You don't want to do that, too close to the sea and Cansae, head north" Franz said, and then showed his ID. In a time of crisis, any semblance of authority will be treaty as actual authority. It was only a matter of time till he would meet the new consul.

Kuhlfros
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kuhlfros » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:19 pm

To: Mr. Haskewill, GRA
From: President Terry Kuhlmann, United States of Kuhlfros
Hello there Mr Haskewill, as you know I am President Kuhlmann and I am here to inform you that I and the nation support your cause to become free and democratic.

That being said I would like to offer you that we will willingly send even our own troops or vehicles of sort of a agreeable amount into combat for your cause, we will allow you to some extent command our forces if needed.

So just to clear it out, we will willingly send supplies on your request to bring your fight to victory. Just a quick Telegram to us and we will gather up your request if agreeable to a decent size and send it to you land or air.

Signed President Terry Kuhlmann: United States of Kuhlfros
Kuhlfros
Member of Greater Ixnay
[21:50] <Shy> AND KUHLFROS SAID UNTO THE EARTH: LET THERE BE SPECIAL SYMBOLS FOR THE RATING OF BLAMESHIFT OUT OF TEN

Glascovia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Glascovia » Sun Mar 24, 2013 8:28 pm

Kuhlfros wrote:To: Mr. Haskewill, GRA
From: President Terry Kuhlmann, United States of Kuhlfros
Hello there Mr Haskewill, as you know I am President Kuhlmann and I am here to inform you that I and the nation support your cause to become free and democratic.

That being said I would like to offer you that we will willingly send even our own troops or vehicles of sort of a agreeable amount into combat for your cause, we will allow you to some extent command our forces if needed.

So just to clear it out, we will willingly send supplies on your request to bring your fight to victory. Just a quick Telegram to us and we will gather up your request if agreeable to a decent size and send it to you land or air.

Signed President Terry Kuhlmann: United States of Kuhlfros

Glascovian Republican Army | Democratic Revolutionary Council

Official Telegram, Glascovian Republican Army

To: President Kuhlmann, United States of Kuhlfros
From: Aurelio Hakeswill, Chief of Staff of the Glascovian Republican Army
Subject: Military assistance
Date: 15 June

President Kuhlmann,

It brings me great pleasure to know that you and your country support the glorious cause that my compatriots and I fight for. We would be honored and grateful for you to struggle alongside us. I fear that the Empire will attempt to dislodge us from our island citadel within the next day or two—so, regardless of whatever assistance you choose to provide, time will be of the essence.

My men lack the ability to counter the famed Imperial Navy, and that is our greatest weakness. If Kuhlfros were to deploy its own navy to protect us, or even if it were to supply us with naval guns and shore emplacements, we would be in a far better position to defend ourselves here on Lindisseia.

I hope we can have the pleasure of fighting alongside each other. Please, support the cause of individualism, of capitalism, and help us deliver a resounding blow to our enemies.

Yours fraternally,
Aurelio Hakeswill

Judea City States Ally
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Judea City States Ally » Sun Mar 24, 2013 10:25 pm

Colonel Lucas Hene was ending an unspectacular career in a backwater assignment. After being with the State Department for 30 years he got a consular posting in The Empire of Glascovia, 5 years ago. He was 55 years old with white hair. He was of average build and height. This man looked like the average 55 year old (minus the fact he already had white hair), nothing special about him. The house of Hene was a long and unknown noble family. The Colonel was the 4th son of Baron Nathan Hene. The family has retained control of a small mountain castle which has dominated the politics of a 25 mile area for over 2000 years. Even today the family still owns all land for a rough 25 by 30 square mile radius. His father died 20 years ago with his 3 brothers dying early deaths 2 killed each other in a duel and the other died in a plane crash in a year period, 21 years ago. Colonel Hene never got married and hated every second of his childhood in the family castle vowing never to return when he joined (after the coup commissioned in the diplomatic officer corps) the State Department. He would arrive to work on time and leave the second he no longer needed to be there. His days as a crazy bachelor ended when his whole family died (minus distant cousins who now ran the castle). The one thing that is good about the Colonel was he always got the job done and was a hard worker. Albeit for all his hard work it always turned out mediocre results. Judea only had minor relations with the government. The Empire’s ports were in the middle of a major trading route, and as such had a few warehouses, refueling, and minor repair facilities belonging to Judean companies. The 1st consul (the one before him) had got a treaty allowing Judean warships to stop in for fuel and some exchange programs for students. All this was about to change,

The rebellion by a group in the Empire of Glascovia got a 10 second sound bite by the news stations across JCSA. But an ambitious female saw opportunity in this rebellion and called an emergency conference. This ambitious female was Field Marshal Emily Burns, she now opens the doors to the Cara Palace Throne Room. She has a gold dress on, with high heels. Her blond hair, and blue eyes along with her perfect curves made her look absolutely stunning. This is just how Field Marshal Burns likes to look, she was the youngest person to ever hold the rank of Field Marshal, she was incredibly ambitious, and she had the talent, charm and smarts to back it up. This made a very dangerous combination.

“Thank you for joining me everyone” She said addressing the room in front of her Hamilton (Leader of JCSA) himself was in this meeting.

“Recently a rebellion has been re-started in the Empire of Glascovia. The rebels have strong capitalist viewpoints and wish to overthrow the bureaucracy driven empire. While the rebels air and naval strength is non-existent land forces they are of a decent strength. In the first attack the rebels succeeded in taking out almost the entirety of the government. This does including killing the empress of the country. Details are hard to come by but it is believed at this time a young school teacher who somehow was made there minister of education before the rebellion is now in command of the country. We do not know any further information. I turn this over to Field Marshal Pembelton”

Sitting down an old man stood up. He is Field Marshal Pembelton the CIC of JCSAIS (JCSA Intelligence Service),

“Thank you Field Marshal you look as beautiful as ever. Now my station chief for the country is still attempting to get answers and information on this happening. Normally this would be a minor diplomatic issue. However an opportunity has shown itself. With the recent fall of the country that use to be a major supply base we have been having difficulties in getting supplies to our overseas bases. While this is only a minor issue at the moment, we have an opportunity. If we support these rebels we can use our favor with them to establish new bases in Glascovia. We can also become a major trading partner to a nation destroyed by war. By helping rebuild this country and becoming their money man. Later on as the rebel movement becomes more powerful we might have the chance to turn the country into a puppet. However having them deep in our debt is also a great opportunity. I now turn this brief over to Major General Gilley.”

A middle-aged bodybuilder man stood up,

“Thank you, sir. We wish to send 250 men from the unit into Glascovia. 50 to the official government and 200 to the rebels. We will inform the government that we have sent 50 military observers to both sides. 150 of the men sent to the rebels will perform black missions into government land and generally assisting in rebel missions. The 50 observers will do as their job requests and observe the conflict, to keep the official story. While the 50 government observers will be forwarding intel to me, and I will pass it to the rebels. We shall come out as a neutral party in the conflict. There to ensure a war that follows the natural laws of war. We would also ask to deploy 2 or 3 carriers there to serve as a neutral field hospital for civies and soldiers. However the carriers will be a front for supplying our black operations. I shall be brevetted the rank of Lieutenant General as per army regulations commanding the 27th Special Operations Group. I will coordinate the official and black side of the operation. I will be the military POC in the country. I have selected three good officers Major Robert Morrison to command the Black Ops teams, and Captains Markus Mansfield to lead the rebel Observers and Captain Johnny Otter for the government observers. I now request caucus.

Second” was heard in the room and for the next several hours the leaders of JCSA debated amongst themselves. Three hours later,

“Deploy as soon as possible the plan is approved”

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The word reached Colonel Hene that the plan was approved. Sending the commander of his embassy guard Captain Harman to the rebel controlled island, he went to see the new leader of Glascovia himself.
Last edited by Judea City States Ally on Mon Apr 29, 2013 7:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.

National General Hamilton (Leader)
General of the Armies Everstman (XO of Goverment)
Field Marshal Hastings (Commander JCSA Military)
Field Marshal Burns (JCSA State Department)

Romberg
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Romberg » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:10 am

We are disappointed by the Glascovian's stubborn stance to refuse peace negotiations with the GLA and try to reach a peaceful solution to the conflict. In the meantime, our mandate has expired, and as a result the Principality of Romberg shall withdraw all members of the 1st Military Police Corps back home. We wish the Consul and the Imperial Government all the best.

Kaiser Hans Jerkov II

OOC: Abandoning thread.
Last edited by Romberg on Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Proud Member of Astyria.

Kuhlfros
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kuhlfros » Mon Mar 25, 2013 5:35 am

Commander Thomas Deanson stood at the Bridge of the USKS Forward, a Destroyer.
Counting the ship he is on there is these ships,
2 Destroyers
4 Littoral Combat Ships
3 Mine Countermeasure ships
1 small attack submarine
2 Cruisers
1 Frigate
These ships took at high speed in attempt to reach Lindssiea and strike the Navy out of the area before anyone realizes, then unload the frigate which carried shore weapons for if more enemy ships pull in area they can keep them from bay.
These attacks also can be counted as GRA attack since these ships except the commanding Destroyer will be donated to the GRA and the sailors on the donated ships will integrate to GRA to help fight.
Kuhlfros
Member of Greater Ixnay

Glascovia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Glascovia » Mon Mar 25, 2013 3:34 pm

IAF Latebra Arx
Vallis Gratiæ, Glascovia
21:30

The sun's fiery, scarlet disc finally ducked down behind the cragged peaks of the Glascovian Highlands. Even in this time of national crisis, Appia couldn't help but admire daylight's final rays glimmering over the surface of Lake Criostail, along which the airbase had been built. Glascovia's mountains had long been the only world she knew—she had grown up in a small town in the Highlands not more than two dozen miles south of IAF Latebra Arx. The daughter of a greengrocer and a cook, the towering summits of these mountains had long struck Appia as an impossible barrier to cross when she was a girl; it was only when Appia was accepted to the University of Glascovia at Cansæ that she finally surmounted those lofty peaks. The new consul had come along way since she was eighteen, when she first anxiously packed her bags and boarded the train for Cansæ. No longer a shy, quiet girl with a nerdy fascination with geography, she was now a confident, assertive woman upon whom control over an entire empire had been foisted.

Even so, Consul Mackenzie found the Brobdingnagian massifs profoundly comforting—and while the airbase could hardly compare to the regal, stately offices of the Imperial government in Cansæ, Appia was grateful that she could ease into her new role, so to speak. Her conference with the remaining vestiges of Imperial government had been headache-inducing, to say the least, and she had taken a stroll through the airbase to clear her head. How Consul Maxentius dealt with the endless back-and-forth bickering was beyond her. Appia resolved that if she were to remain consul, she would need to make sure that the members of her government understood their place.

A dark-suited Security Service officer approached the consul, his footsteps conspicuous in the evening's tranquil silence. "Madam Consul," the officer said, offering her the traditional Glascovian salute. "The Judean military attaché has just been waived through our security checkpoint. Shall I direct him to your office, ma'am?"

"No, I think not," Appia replied. "I'd rather meet him here, along the shore. The fresh air's been doing me some good; perhaps it'll facilitate our conversation."

"Of course, Madam Consul." The agent hurried off into the blackness of the night, appearing some moments later with Colonel Lucas Hene, a fifty-five year old Judean military officer who was, by all appearances, relatively unremarkable. Appia smiled warmly at the colonel as he approached.

"Good evening, Colonel," she said, extending her arm for a handshake. "It's a pleasure to meet you. Before we begin, let me assure you that Glascovia honors its agreements, and I have every intention of ensuring that Judean military vessels have continued access to their facilities in Calcaria. But surely your government didn't send you trekking through the mountains just to hear my platitudes."

Castra Ammaedara
16 June, anno Imperii CXIX
04:00

Hakeswill stood warily on the island's shore, surveying the choppy waters for any sign of movement. Any moment, the Judean military detachment would land on Lindisseia, and the GRA would have access to a contingent of highly-trained special ops troops. While Hakeswill took great pride in his fighters, he knew that their training had hitherto been… irregular. Zealotry and dedication can only do so much, and they make a poor substitute for training and professional discipline.

In the distance, he saw a small signal light flash five times in rapid succession. He nodded to his lieutenant, who rapidly flashed his own signal light another five times. Aurelio heard the drone of the Judeans' engines grow closer, and in a short while he could make out their boats creeping towards the shore.

Watching the Judeans approach shore under cover of darkness reminded Hakeswill of the failed operation that led to his capture some five years ago. On a windy, cloudy night—much like tonight—Aurelio led a dozen of the GRA's finest soldiers in an attack against the Imperial Navy base in Ircenefelda. Little had Aurelio realized that the unguarded nuclear weapons he had sought were nothing more than an Imperial Security Service ruse; that abortive mission ended with Aurelio's capture and the senseless death of ten partisans. Their deaths still weighed heavily on Hakeswill's conscience, for had he been more attentive, he might have uncovered the Empire's trap and spared their lives. Aurelio just hoped that defeating the Empire would ensure that those soldiers had not given their lives in vain.

Hakeswill was woken from his reverie by the trim, military figure in front of him; admittedly, he was caught off guard by how swiftly the Judeans landed.

"Ah, my good man, Captain Harman," Hakeswill said jovially. "Here to 'observe' us at last, eh?"

Viertes German Reich
Envoy

Founded: Feb 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Viertes German Reich » Mon Mar 25, 2013 7:16 pm

Code: Select all
To: The Honorable Consul Appia, or the Glascovian Governmental personal
From: Kaiser Frederick Konrad Wilhelm von Sylvester der Hohenzollern
It is unfortunate that I have only recently heard of your country's struggle. There is an Imperial ship, the D.K.S Berlin, near your waters, and it is ready to arrive to provide support with its long-range guns, two imperial infantry regiments, and a detachment of Imperial Guard Marines. If additional support is needed, I will personaly lead my fleet in aid. The ship is about 30 minutes time away from your territory, and is currently on stand-by. They await a response and the posible permission to enter your territory. The hearts of the German people go to you, your country, and your strife. Mit Gott, fur Reich und Vaterland.
Last edited by Viertes German Reich on Tue Mar 26, 2013 3:23 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Judea City States Ally
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Judea City States Ally » Tue Mar 26, 2013 8:28 pm

Colonel Lucas Hene rode in his small diplomatic convoy with 3 guards and him in a SUV for many hours to a remote mountain stronghold. Leaving his vehicle and guards behind he was guided to this new leader. He spent half his time trying to remember her name. Was it Appia Mackentire, or Lappia MacDonald? Better to just call her Madame Consul he told himself. When he was directed towards the shoreline confusion could easily be seen on his face. Wondering why he was not going to an office, he was soon answered when he saw a woman in the distance. Upon finally getting to her she started off the conversation by introducing herself.

“Yes it is indeed a pleasure to meet you Madame Consul. To introduce myself I am the Consul-General to your nation. I hold a Colonelcy in the Diplomatic Officer Corps and have been a Diplomatic officer for 30 years, the most recent 5 in your country. My government to give you a quick history was formed just over 20 years ago after a military coup d'état against a genocidal president. My first 10 years were with the Judean Republic State Department, if you were wondering. After several reorganizations of the government every official now holds officer or enlisted ranks. So even though I am a Colonel I have no military command or experience.”

After taking break for a few seconds he continues,

“Now the reason I am really here. My government has an interest in making sure our shipping remains safe as your country is situated as a perfect refueling and minor repairs stop. My government has already sent 50 observers to the rebels to make sure they remain ethical and do not abuse civilians and prisoners. They have recognized our neutral status and are happy to have us as a contact. I wish to send 50 observers along with your forces to do the same. This gives you credibility to the international community. Should talks/ communications/ prisoner exchanges ever happen we are happy to be the middle men. On top of this out of a humanitarian interest we wish to deploy 2 or 3 carriers to your waters as a neutral medical, power, water purification, aid distribution location. We will take refuges and seriously wounded aboard the carriers equipped with only medevac helicopters. The carriers will be open to inspection at any time by anyone on either side. I will give you time to think about all this and reply if you so wish, Madame Consul.”

After speaking Hene looks out on the shoreline and notices the “beautiful” mountains. The beautiful mountains reminded him of home. He despised home, a look of absolute hatred passed his face for a few seconds. But then quickly snapping back to reality, he turned back to the Consul.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

After Captain Harman’s initial meeting with the rebels and their quick acceptance of help he promised to come back the next day with help. Boarding a small ship he headed to the Flagship of the 27th Special Operations Group, Queen Everstman the 2nd. The biggest carrier the Judeans owned, she was not a ship to mess with. Upon giving his report the troops picked up their weapons and gear and the prepared to leave the next night.

20 black Zodiacs made their way silently across the water. Aboard them were some of the most elite troops the Judeans had. Captain Harman was put off, he may be considered “elite” as part of the 3rd Guards Division but he knew that any one of these 200 men could kill him with their bare hands. Spotting the prearranged signal he signaled back. Like clockwork the soldiers hit the shore and were gone again in a few minutes. The sailors piloting the Zodiacs immediate left and disappeared out back into the night. The Soldiers waving hand signals moved into cover and created a perimeter around the landing zone. With a few rifles pointing back towards the meeting, just in case. This is in compliance with the official motto of Judean Special Operations troops. Nihil relinquere casus (leave nothing to chance)

Major Robert Morrison looked like a linebacker and carried a LAW and AA-12 on his back. He like his men had on all black body armor and was painted black. He had an M4 in his hands hanging loosely. Captain Mansfield, on the other hand, looked like his polar opposite. A slender man he carried no guns (he does have 8 knifes on his person though), with the standard Judean uniform on. He didn't look dangerous. Then again neither did his 32 murder victims think much of him until too late. But the story of his government capture and re-purposing is another story.

Captain Harman, Major Robert Morrison, and Captain Markus Mansfield went to greet the GRA leader, Hakeswill. Captain Harman spoke first,

“I told you I would return with help, SIR. Meet Major Robert Morrison he died 10 years ago in a horrible drunk driving accident. Him and his 150 man force are all officially dead and are not officially native citizens of my nation. Should anyone ever search their names, all 150 will be from different countries. Now to my left is Captain Markus Mansfield who until recently was Chief Martial Arts Instructor Judean Operations Academy, no school is more elite. I will allow them to speak for themselves.”

Major Morrison started first,

“Greetings, sir. It has been a few months since my last fight and I am ready to get back to it. My men are happy to perform any mission you may ever need. Anything from terror tactics on populations, kidnapping, and sabotage. You have a hard mission we can do it.”

Next Captain Mansfield spoke up as a speed boat approached the shore at a high rate of speed.

“I will be leading the 49 other observers I brought to you. All 49 men have specialties that they will teach your men. We will cycle them in between your units and they will be there for a day. During that day they are “observing” your troops we shall be training up your men. Also some will teach a select group of your troops to become instructors themselves so you gain the ability to self-train. Give us a few months and you will start to see better discipline and training emerging in your units.”

As the Speedboat came to a stop at the shoreline, Captain Harman hopped aboard.

“Goodbye SIR, if you have any questions these men are more capable then me, now I must return to the fishing trip I am on.”

The Speedboat sped away, and the two officers waited for the reply of this man named Hakeswill. They wished they knew the proper way to address him though.

National General Hamilton (Leader)
General of the Armies Everstman (XO of Goverment)
Field Marshal Hastings (Commander JCSA Military)
Field Marshal Burns (JCSA State Department)

Glascovia
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Glascovia » Wed Mar 27, 2013 6:39 pm

IAF Latebra Arx
Vallis Gratiæ, Glascovia
21:30

Appia scrutinized Colonel Hene closely while the Judean introduced himself and his country. Impeccably polite, the colonel skillfully explained his country's objectives thoroughly and concisely—all in all he seemed the perfect diplomat. And yet creeping misgivings niggled Appia whenever Colonel Hene opened his mouth; the consul could swear she felt her blood run cold in her veins. Exactly why Appia distrusted Colonel Hene so viscerally escaped her.

A scintilla of xenophobia was quintessentially Glascovian. Centuries of isolation—self-imposed or otherwise—coupled with a profoundly disruptive colonial occupation had all but ensured that wariness of foreigners was part of Glascovia's national heritage.

Easy, Appia, she chided herself. Where others have stood by idly, the Judeans have offered assistance during our gravest hour—they deserve more credit than that.

"Colonel, this morning I swore an oath, an oath to dedicate myself to the Empire," Appia said, turning to face Colonel Hene. "I intend to make Glascovia whole again—and those who have betrayed the Empire shall receive no quarter, no clemency. I will bring these traitors to justice, no matter the cost."

The consul paused momentarily, watching the colonel's reaction. "But even so, Glascovia will not resort to the depravities that these terrorists have, and your presence will surely go a long way towards showing the world who has wronged whom. His Imperial—excuse me, Her Imperial Majesty's Government will not object to the deployment of an aircraft carrier in its waters. To assuage my ever-vigilant military advisors, however, I will have to insist that a platoon of military police be stationed on board—as observers, naturally. The rebels may, of course, send an equal number of men if it so chooses."

"And, Colonel, if you wouldn't mind conveying a message to the Glascovian Republican Army, please tell them this: Glascovia's retribution will be swift, it will be righteous, and it will be without mercy."

Castra Ammaedara
04:00

Hakeswill eyed the two officers standing rigidly before him. The Judeans certainly knew how to make one hell of an impression; he liked them already—then again, Hakeswill would like anybody who bettered his chances of vanquishing the Empire.

"Please, at ease, gentlemen, at ease," Hakeswill said jovially. "I'm afraid your time with our grand crusade for democracy will be quite unlike an ordinary military posting, especially for a pair of fine, regulation-abiding officers such as yourselves. I've never been one for formalities; to my mind, they seem profoundly antithetical to our cause. Capitalism's all about stripping away those pretensions so we can all better pursue our own ambitions—and while 'Chairman Hakeswill' does have a magnificent ring to it, 'Aurelio' will suffice nicely."

Hakeswill stopped to marvel and the orderly procession of Judean troops marching towards the barracks. If these officers could train his fighters to be half as disciplined, the GRA just might have a chance of victory.

"Captain Mansfield, Major Morrison—I'm sure you must be exhausted, but time here is of the essence. I have it on good authority that the Empire has mobilized the Imperial Navy against this island redoubt of ours. We haven't the firepower to take the Navy head-on, but we can deter their assault. There's a radar installation on the tip of the nearest peninsula, north of where Ylvernis is situated. Without it, the Navy would have to attack us whilst half-blind—and they're too cautious for that. With your help, I intend to destroy that radar tonight."

HMS Ultion
10 mi. east of Calcaria, bearing east-southeast
07:30

Brigadier Dolabella looked out from the battleship's command tower, silently appreciating the brilliant orange sunrise illuminating the eastern skies. Surrounding the vessel was the lion's share of the Imperial Navy, all sailing at fifteen knots towards the rebel stronghold on Lindisseia Insula. Accompanying the Ultion was its sister battleship, the Margrave of Cansæ, along with eleven Type 23 frigates, five Arleigh Burke-class destroyers, three Virginia-class submarines, and a light carrier.

Dolabella never cared much for boats—if he had, he would've joined the Navy instead of the Army. But even a self-professed landlubber like Dolabella could acknowledge that the Navy would prove the decisive factor in the Empire's fight against these terrorists. If events unfolded as Consul Mackenzie had envisioned, the assembled flotilla would pound Castra Ammaedara into submission, allowing Legio V Ferrata to make an easy amphibious landing and annihilate the shell-shocked remains of the Glascovian Republican Army.

"Sir," barked a young naval crewman, saluting stiffly. "Transmission came through on the wireless. Captain Argyll believed you ought to see it."

"Thank you," Dolabella replied, taking the folded sheet of paper from the seaman. "That'll be all. Dismissed."

Viertes German Reich wrote:
Code: Select all
To: The Honorable Consul Appia, or the Glascovian Governmental personal
From: Kaiser Frederick Konrad Wilhelm von Sylvester der Hohenzollern
It is unfortunate that I have only recently heard of your country's struggle. There is an Imperial ship, the D.K.S Berlin, near your waters, and it is ready to arrive to provide support with its long-range guns, two imperial infantry regiments, and a detachment of Imperial Guard Marines. If additional support is needed, I will personaly lead my fleet in aid. The ship is about 30 minutes time away from your territory, and is currently on stand-by. They await a response and the posible permission to enter your territory. The hearts of the German people go to you, your country, and your strife. Mit Gott, fur Reich und Vaterland.

Smiling, Dolabella thanked Mars for this stroke of good fortune. Quickly, he radioed Latebra Arx for permission to reply to the German transmission.

To: D.K.S. Berlin
From: Brigadier Charles Dolabella, Commanding Officer, Naval Task Force Vulpecula

Her Imperial Majesty's Government welcomes you to Glascovian waters.
Your aid is greatly appreciated, and the Empire owes you a debt of gratitude already.

Naval Task Force Vulpecula to begin bombardment of rebel stronghold by tonight.
Rendezvous at map coordinates 22MDV6841000727.
I look forward to seeing our two empires fight side by side.

Victoria aut mors!
Last edited by Glascovia on Thu Mar 28, 2013 5:37 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Kuhlfros
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Kuhlfros » Wed Mar 27, 2013 7:37 pm

Commander Deanson watched as the dark sihlloete of Lindessia, his fleet traveled in the cover of darkness, only praying that the second Destroyer jammed the radar and sonar of the Glascovian ships, signaling mirrors began using the moonlight to alert the GRA
Kuhlfros
Member of Greater Ixnay

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents