NATION

PASSWORD

An Act of Faith [Telegram for Entry]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
The State of Monavia
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 27, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

An Act of Faith [Telegram for Entry]

Postby The State of Monavia » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:49 am

OOC INFORMATION

This thread exists to serve as the rebooted version of An Act of Faith (the original thread has been deleted). Though I humbly ask all participants to telegram me with a request for entry before posting anything, it is unlikely that I will reject entry requests from people whose track records I trust.

An OOC thread can be found here: An Act of Faith OOC Thread. I advise participants to fully read it before posting so that they have some idea of what this thread will be about. While a minimal amount of OOC chatter is permissible in this thread, please use the other one for major out-of-character postings exceeding two or three paragraphs in length to avoid cluttering this thread up.

IC:

AN ACT OF FAITH

PROLOGUE: A NEW ORDER IN THE WORLD

“Except the Lord build the house, they labor in vain that build it: except the Lord keep the city, the watchman waketh in vain.”

–PSALM 126 (127)

March 30, AD 715
0258 hours

Hill overlooking Savan Forest
Somewhere in the Kingdom of Chalcedon
Northwestern Nova

The land lay still. Multitudes of stars swam through the moonless firmament, an inky black pool unsullied by any foreign glare that could diminish the brilliance with which these twinkling myriads shone through the night. Even though the cool spring winds had died during the preceding evening, the absence of clouds on this night had enabled the earth’s heat to freely dissipate into space, leaving only the breathing of nocturnal animals to disturb the air around them as it grew chillier throughout the night. Flower buds had folded themselves shut like umbrellas so that they could avoid having their delicate surfaces nipped by the crisp, cool atmosphere around them. As three o’clock approached, wolves that normally waited until sunrise to retreat into their dens began retiring as if drugged by premature fatigue. Most of the crickets had already grown quiet after tiring out their miniscule bodies over the previous few hours, but a few of them still persisted in continuing their nightly performance.

The chief denizen of this locale was an eremite (monastic hermit) who dwelled inside an elevated grotto at the edge of a cluster of rocky hills which were located just a day’s walk south of the dour Romanesque complex where he first took up the monastic life four decades earlier. He still periodically rejoined his brother monks to celebrate major feasts at about a dozen points throughout the year, but most of the time he preferred the solitude he had obtained by moving into his current abode eight years ago. It was here that he cultivated his ascetic sensibilities in order to pursue the sort of mystical serenity that can draw souls upward to heights that exceed the capacity of human imagination, even if it meant humbly depending on strangers for sustenance whenever he was unable to acquire it another way.

The eremite’s usual routine consisted of rising about an hour before dawn to pray and meditate before eating a light breakfast and then retiring inside his grotto to write a short commentary on some subject or another. He usually left the cavern at noon to receive any pilgrims that stopped by to ask for his prayers or request advice on general spiritual matters, then resumed meditating until he ate again at sundown and retired for the night. Shortly before the sun had set during the previous evening he walked over to an alcove inside his cave where he kept a number of items that pilgrims had given to him in past years and retrieved a small jar which he used to hold water. He took the jar down to the stream that ran along the base of the hill, filled it, put it back into its place inside the alcove, and prepared to retire for the night by reciting his evening prayers and lighting a tiny clay lamp which he left burning near the austerely-stuffed pallet he used as his bed. Soon thereafter the ascetic’s wizened figure

The ascetic arose from his peaceful slumber at four o’clock on the following morning and sat up against one of the walls to avoid becoming lightheaded as he rubbed his eyes. He looked down at the place where he had left the lamp burning through the night and picked it up so that he could use its light to navigate the interior of his living space without tripping or stubbing his toes on the uneven floor. Although he was intimately familiar with the cavern’s layout, his vision had lost some of its sharpness over time and the lack of moonlight outside would have left him fumbling around in the dark had the lamp run out of oil before sunrise. He soon reached the alcove and retrieved the jar of water and a linen towel which he dampened and used to wipe his face clean and then took a sip to wash out his dry mouth. Once he was finished he pulled out an earthenware drinking vessel which he used to satiate his thirst and then left his cave to breathe in some fresh air.

The grassy hillside outside the cave’s entrance sloped downward toward a flat-topped bulge in the hillside overlooking the brook. The crispness of the air quickly invigorated him on the way down but he still had to bend and stretch a bit to loosen up his stiff joints and members. He tilted his head back to loosen up his neck and briefly turned his attentions skyward to gaze at the stars that had fascinated him since the time he was but a little child. It took but a few moments for the celestial majesty of these distant bodies to enrapture the monk and send a torrent of nostalgia welling up in his heart as he silently recalled the days when he tried to count the stars and his eyes were sharp enough to behold the natural glory of the heavens more fully than they could do now. Even though his sight had gradually decayed with the passing of his years until it was too weak to discern the forms of the faintest stars as anything other than tiny smudges and blurs, his recollections of how many a fondly-remembered constellation had once looked still remained sharp in his mind.

The monk stared off into the star-spangled firmament for several more minutes before he peeled his attentions away from it and kneeling where he stood to bow his head in prayer. He had grown inured to many types of hardship as a result of his years spent living in asceticism, but he still regarded each day he lived as a blessing for which he owed a debt of thanks and always began his prayers with expressions of gratitude for having been allowed to awaken once again. He took a long, deliberate breath, made the sign of the cross, and began praying in gentle cadences that seemed to mimic the stream’s legato gurgling atop the smooth rocks that lined its bed. He soon grew so absorbed in his spiritual exercises that he failed to notice the movements of a second form that crept through the nearby woods.

The visitor in question was a strapping man of strong build and moderate stature who had spent the last ten minutes navigating through the forest with only the stars and a simple torch to light his way and reveal the contours of the land. He did not need to brush aside many branches nor rustle any leaves as he moved about, for he had found a well-trodden path that previous visitors had used, but even so he had to tread carefully to avoid tripping on rocks and exposed roots. He could smell and hear the stream with little trouble and enough starlight sparkled on the surface of the water for him to discern the boundaries of its surface, but even that was not enough to keep him from slipping at one point and making an audible splash in the process of crossing it. He nervously froze and looked up at the monk only to find that the old man remained undisturbed, so he drew close to the base of the hill and began ascending its slopes.

The visitor crushed a dry leaf in the process of climbing up the hillside and paused once again to see if he had disturbed the monk. This time the noise was close enough to slightly perturb the prayerful ascetic, but all he did was flinch and resume praying since the visitor was standing outside his field of vision. The lad soon reached the edge of the plateau and struck a dignified pose just a few paces behind the eremite, then waited for him to finish another prayer before deliberately dropping a rock on the ground to elicit his attention. The monk turned around and saw his new guest lean forward and bow at the waist. “Christ is in our midst, my brother.”

“He is and always shall be,” the monk replied, following the early church’s traditional greeting formula. “Who are you?”

The lad blew his torch out and set it down on the ground. “I am Claudius of Chalcedon, a pilgrim.”

“Are you on your way south?” Most of the pilgrims who passed by the monk’s cave and spoke with him on occasion were bound for the southern cities and their cathedrals, so it was most likely probable (at least in the monk’s mind) that Claudius was also on his way there.

“Yes, I am on my way to visit the southern shrines. I came at this hour to join you in prayer and ask for your blessing, and, if you’re willing, I also wish to ask for your counsel on a very serious matter.”

“My blessing?” the bemused monk asked. “I am not a priest, though you are certainly welcome to pray with me.”

Claudius nodded in agreement. “I certainly appreciate your prayers, but again, my chief purpose in coming here is to request your counsel.” The prince paused to clear his throat before explaining, “My father is the king of Chalcedon and I am destined to inherit the government of this kingdom when God calls him to rest. While I have been taught much about how kings rule over men, I do not know the right way to carry the burden that will be laid on my shoulders. I was told that you have shared great wisdom with many visitors, so perhaps you might know what I must do to become a good king.”

The monk narrowed his eyes as he thought about what Claudius had said. “Why would you—a prince—bother asking me about such earthly matters like this?” he sternly inquired, furrowing his brows in the dark. “I’m sure your father has advisers you could ask about these things instead of coming here.”

“Yes, my father has some advisers, but I do not trust some of them,” Claudius replied. His voice only grew more assertive as he sensed that the monk might have thought he was wasting time. “I want your counsel because you have been living away from worldliness for a long time and have no stake in the affairs of kings and princes. My father’s years are growing short and there are many ambitious men in Chalcedon who lust for power that does not belong to them and are waiting for him to meet his end. They will attempt to seize it from me if they think they can succeed in controlling the throne, hence my decision to come here in secret so that they wouldn’t know what I’m doing.”

“If you’re so important, then why don’t you have any bodyguards or companions with you?” the monk asked skeptically. He had a hard time believing that the heir to a kingdom would just show up at the hill all by himself, let alone at an hour like this one.

“I do. They are sleeping in my camp several furlongs from here.” Pausing again, he added, “It doesn’t matter what they’re doing now anyway, since I wanted to see you alone.” Perhaps the man is too old to recognize the truth of my words no matter what I tell him, he thought as he grew impatient with the ascetic’s continued skepticism.

Although the monk was genuinely intrigued by the prince’s explanation, he was not completely satisfied with it since it was among the most unusual ones he had heard in a very long while. His rational mind cautioned him to question the prince further, but he also acutely perceived the nature of his interlocutor’s contempt for being held in suspense and the adamancy of his desire to obtain the counsel he wanted. After spending a few more moments deliberating, the monk concluded that it was not right to risk upsetting a guest who had come a long way to pay him a visit by denying him the benefit of the doubt. “I believe you’re telling me the truth,” he sighed, “however strange it may sound to my ears.”

Claudius weakly nodded in gratitude as the apprehension that had built up inside his mind started melting away. “Brother, my question is—”

“Yes, I remember it. You want my advice on how best to rule over a kingdom when you cannot trust all of your official counselors and have rivals seeking your power for themselves.”

“That is correct. My ancestors once built a great kingdom that ruled over this land hundreds of years ago and I wish to restore it, or rather, at least I would like to begin the process of restoring it before my reign ends. I desire this because I believe that restoring my ancestors’ empire is the only way my people will be able to have a place where they can live in peace for all time, so I want to know how to use the domain of my inheritance as a cornerstone upon which to rebuild it. In this regard I wish to imitate the deeds of the righteous Solomon, leaving behind a legacy that will endure for posterity.”

The monk’s lips curled up into a smile—not a modest one, but an ear-to-ear grin that emboldened the wide, deep lines graven around them—for the first time in nearly a week. Although the monk knew that the darkness made it hard for Claudius to see how much his chiseled visage had softened from the profound feeling of glee that had entered his heart, it mattered little since he was able to make his feelings evident by replacing his clipped, serious phrases with softer, fuller ones.

“If you wish to build a kingdom that will never falter you must first hallow your country by consecrating its land as a haven for God-fearing people and promise that your heirs shall not deviate from ensuring that it remains holy ground. You must also teach your people how to live according to the way of truth and holiness so that they will stand upon the unshakeable rock of faith when they are put to the test. If you can cause your people to do these things, then they shall be victorious against every enemy who arises to assail your kingdom and not even the numberless hosts of hell shall have power to prevail against it.”

Claudius was surprised by the abstract simplicity of these suggestions because he had expected the monk to give him advice of a more concrete and worldly nature. “Your counsel is indeed wise and true,” he responded as the ascetic weakly smiled in appreciation of the compliment he had received, “but I know very little about doing the sorts of things you are asking me to do.” The monk could already tell which question Claudius was inevitably going to ask him next. “Perhaps you can tell me how these things ought to be done?”

“As a king, you must learn to live piously in the sight of your people so that they may know their ruler will deal justly with them. You must also learn to obey your conscience whenever you feel uncertain about the rightness of your actions so that you can avoid being led astray by temptations that can mar even your greatest works. If you do these two things, you will perform great deeds that will benefit your people and they shall love you in return. Remember, a king who is loved by a loyal people cannot be overthrown from within without consequences, for if he is wronged in any way they will arise on his behalf.”

Claudius nodded in understanding and twisted his head back and forth to loosen up his stiffening neck. “I have another question.”

“Go on.”

“How do I set right the evils of those who might seek my demise without resorting to the methods that my ancestors used?”

“Go and assemble the wisest sages and most learned scholars you can find to guide your hand in directing your kingdom,” the monk explained. “They will show you the fairest way to rule over others.”

The prince and his counselor soon finished discussing the matter that had initially brought about their meeting and turned their conversation towards lighter subjects which carried less gravity than the first. The pair occupied themselves with small talk for at least twenty more minutes before a squirrel interrupted their dialogue by losing its grip on a branch and falling into the stream with a loud splash that startled them. Claudius abruptly paused and glared at the stream in annoyance as he looked for the source of the noise, but the squirrel climbed out of the water and vanished up another tree so fast that he was unable to spot it.

Claudius did not have any other disturbances to investigate, but his curiosity prompted him to cast a few cursory glances across the forest anyway. It was then that he noted how the easternmost reaches of the night sky were subtly tinged with an inky blue glow that had not existed when he first arrived. Most of the stars across from him were still plainly visible, but the faintest ones appeared dimmer than they had earlier and seemed to be fading away.

“Do you see something?” the monk asked when he realized that the prince had not resumed talking.

“Some of the stars are gone,” Claudius responded, gesturing off into the distance.

“That means the sun should rise soon.”

“Are you sure of that?”

“Yes, I am. See for yourself.” The men sat up and silently gazed over the treetops that would have obscured their view of the sky if they had been seated closer to the bottom of the hill and patiently waited as the weak predawn glow intensified and softened the darkness that hung over the treeline while bringing the silhouetted contours of the forest into sharper relief. The eastern horizon first took shape as a dull, paper-thin line that emitted a diffused bluish glow and then brightened slightly as a broad, curved mass of sapphire-colored light leaked out along its length and ascended over the treetops. Progressively brighter shades of teal soon emerged from beneath the trailing edge of the bluish mass and deepened the convexity of its curvature, eventually bending its leading edge into a shallow parabolic arc that defiantly forced the night to relinquish its dominion over the sky.

Successive waves of azure and cerulean light spilled out of the firmament’s lower border as it brightened further and turned from a narrow burgundy ribbon that glowed with ruddy orange light into a cherry-red belt wreathed in saffron. These warm colors and the ones that followed them mingled with the various hues of blues to form a vibrant array of new colors ranging from rosy shades of lavender to magenta and salmon pink while the horizon mellowed out even more and turned scarlet. The sun’s pallid outer aura soon melted into the east and blotted out nearby stars with the intensity of its calescent glare, leaving just a few of them glimmering among the vestiges of darkness that framed the entire scene. Minutes later, a radiant amber spark erupted out of the orient and partially blinded the men for a few moments as it grew into a luminous vein of fire which bled into the horizon. The vein thickened and grew into a yellow-orange semicircle with edges that rippled like the surface of a windblown lake and triumphantly burned with an ethereal golden fire that magically infused the air with a profound stillness that even seemed to defy the advance of time itself.

The otherworldly beauty which unfolded across the sky filled Claudius with a profound sense of reverential awe that left him absentmindedly gawking at the sights before him. He was fortunate enough to notice how far his mouth had fallen agape and pressed it shut to prevent it from falling open again, but when he peeked towards the place where the monk sat to see if the old man had noticed, he found himself completely alone. Once he had realized that the monk was gone, he unsuccessfully tried rising up onto his feet, only to discover that his body had grown very stiff over the past half-hour and that he was not moving anywhere right away. He leaned backward to loosen up his waist and stretched out his legs in order to eliminate some of their rigidity while watching the remainder of the sun’s disc emerge and part company with the earth, effortlessly gliding skyward towards its rightful position at the center of the atmospheric tableau. After roughly a minute of relaxing to let the circulation in his lower body return to normal, he sat up, rose to his feet, and climbed back up the hill. Upon reaching the top he noticed that the western sky had faded as the last traces of the darkness that once occupied it were fleeing away in a relentless occidental retreat.

Claudius entered the grotto and conversed with the eremite until five-thirty, at which point he chose to bid his one-time counselor farewell and left his torch behind for the monk to use if he ever found need for it. He cast a final passing glance over the hill’s uneven grassy sides as he descended towards the stream, pausing at its edge to look for any rocks he could use to cross it before gingerly stepping from one to another until he had reached the other side. The euphoric atmosphere that first enveloped him at daybreak had yet to fade enough for him to realize the solemnity of his new empire-building mission, so his gait assumed a childlike sprightliness as he passed back into the woods and returned to his camp. The sentries posted around it were unsurprised by their prince’s appearance, for they had grown accustomed to his habit of rising early to take walks whenever he was restless.

The prince wished his sentries a good morning when he drew closer, received a few nods in return, and walked over to his tent to take a two-hour nap. The set of fires that burned inside the camp during the night were now little more than collections of ash-covered coals that barely radiated enough heat for cooking breakfast, but it mattered little as his retinue would simply collect some additional fuel when they arose in another hour or two. None of the prince’s retainers had any knowledge of where he had gone during the night and the sentries merely assumed that he had risen early to relieve himself and a walk, so they too remained thoroughly oblivious, which was exactly what Claudius wanted them to be.

✠ ✠ ✠ ✠

Claudius was all of twenty-five years old when he inherited the throne of the Kingdom of Chalcedon three years after his secret meeting with the monk. His father, grandfather, and two additional generations of recent predecessors had all acceded to the throne around the age of thirty, so he was relatively young in comparison. In spite of this fact, the newly-crowned monarch eagerly embarked on the business of finding a wife and securing the succession, both of which remained his foremost concerns outside of politics for much of the next decade. This preoccupation with familial matters also led him to search for information about his lineage and its role in the world, so he spent many of his free hours browsing the palace archives where a dedicated corps of scribes spent their days organizing, filing, and making additions to its voluminous contents.

It had taken several years for Claudius to piece together the narrative of his family’s past and discover his personal connections to the history of an empire that had been gone for a quarter of a millennium, but to him every hour of attentively poring over texts was worth the hassle. This hard-won discovery of personal connections with history made it one of the few subjects that held his interest. Politics was too complicated for him to approach from a scholarly perspective, especially now that he was a political leader concerned more with applications than with theories. His father had scoffed at the idea of studying economics on a personal level because it was the mundane science of running households—a thing better left to the servants. Macroeconomics was consequently an abstraction to Claudius and his contemporaries; it would not become a scholastic discipline in its own right until the late eighteenth century. Though he was religiously observant, he was uninterested in the academic aspects of theology and philosophy. He preferred consulted the expertise of clergymen when he had questions over bumbling about like a blind man when searching for answers.

During his research, Claudius discovered that the Hellaneans, a Greek-speaking people who founded Chalcedon and numerous other cities, had been conquered and subjugated by the Vendians in the distant past. The Vendians referred to the Hellaneans as the Ship People because they were a seafaring civilization with a strong maritime tradition. Their shipwrights were later dubbed Monavi in recognition of their “mountains ships” (mons navi) and their lands were called Terra Monavia, the Land of the Monavi. Thus it was that Monavia received its name and took on a new regional identity within the expanding Vendian Empire. This new identity, however, was impermanent. Centuries of assimilation and change had reduced Terra Monavia to a geographic term that referred to a collection of northern provinces and had few political connotations. Centuries of Vendian dominance had buried the old Hellanean culture and its institutions too deeply to emerge from subordination to its foreign masters.

Droves of barbarians belonging to various ethnicities had been immigrating for generations by the time the last Vendian emperor, Theodosius the Old, died in AD 433. They had formed substantial minority populations within the empire, even becoming localized majority groups which had little incentive to assimilate themselves as their numbers kept increasing. Soon enough, the inhabitants of these enclaves stopped viewing themselves as Vendians and formed new regional identities that were distinct from one another. Linguistic and cultural barriers drove the unassimilated foreigners apart from one another as different tribes claimed neighboring tracts of territory and divisions grew sharper. These sectional groups formed nationalistic aspirations of autonomy, then separatist visions of independence. Once the emperor was dead, the resulting succession crisis provided an opening for invasions and revolts to erupt anywhere they could, thus causing the Vendian ship of state to founder amidst twenty-one years of civil war.

The king’s forbearers had diligently assembled the crumbling remains of several defunct Vendian provinces into a new country whose people were tied together by only their shared belief that they had a common identity. They had navigated the rising tides of sectionalism and civil strife, using the common dreams of bygone imperial glory to unify, nurture, and grow their kingdom. A collection of Vendian cultural and political institutions still survived, lending people even more hope that their slowly fading visions for the future were achievable within a few generations. After many years of separation from their former southern overlords, old sectional tendencies reappeared and the people no longer considered collecting and consolidating the old remnants of a dead empire sufficient to satiate their appetite for a great civilization to call their own. Disparate groups were being bound together by this common aspiration, offering the king a chance to unify their efforts under his banner. As the years passed he grew more confident about the prospects for his little kingdom and was determined to capitalize on them. As luck had it, the new Kingdom of Chalcedon was far more politically stable than many of the other city-states that had formed in the north after the Vendian Empire collapsed like a house of cards.

The king made good on fulfilling his vision, continuing what his predecessors had begun while still providing parallel avenues for building upon his kingdom’s new cornerstones of faith and virtue. Curiously for some, his first step towards the groundwork for his empire was rooted in history. He had read about the structure and functions of the Vendian Senate and the officials called censors who monitored elections of senators and other officials. Their tasks were so critical that they were required to lead pure lives that were dedicated to the causes of public service and political integrity—the very class of individuals who he needed. Claudius was soon married and merged his kingdom with that ruled by his new wife, fusing the two halves to create the Monavian Empire. Two days later, he formed a new body of censors with whom he shared his vision, entrusting them with the sacred task of defending and upholding the principles of the country he had set out to create.
Last edited by The State of Monavia on Mon Aug 03, 2015 12:13 am, edited 8 times in total.
——✠ ✠——THE IMPERIAL FEDERATION OF THE MONAVIAN EMPIRE——✠ ✠——
FACTBOOKS AND LOREROLEPLAY CANONDIPLOMATIC EXCHANGE

MY GUIDES ON ROLEPLAYING DIPLOMACY, ROLEPLAY ETIQUETTE, CREATING A NEW NATION,
LEARNING HOW TO ROLEPLAY (FORTHCOMING), AND ROLEPLAYING EVIL (PART ONE)

Seventeen-Year Veteran of NationStates ∙ Retired N&I Roleplay Mentor
Member of the NS Writing Project and the Roleplayers Union
I am a classical monarchist Orthodox Christian from Phoenix, Arizona.

✠ᴥ✠ᴥ✠

/‾‾ʽʼ‾‾\

The State of Monavia
Ambassador

Postby The State of Monavia » Thu Feb 07, 2013 7:50 am

CHAPTER 1
THE REVOLUTION THAT NEVER WAS

“Revolt and revolution both wind up at the same crossroads: the police, or folly.”

–ALBERT CAMUS
FRENCH-ALGERIAN AUTHOR AND ABSURDIST PHILOSOPHER

March 5–7, AD 1889

City of Arsk
Araskov Province
Imperial Federation of the Monavian Empire
Northwestern Nova

The seasonal climate of eastern Monavia, especially the inland area known as Araskov Province, did not consistently obey the same kind of cut-and-dry rules which governed the seemingly regular motions of the planets and stars. The seasons in this quaint land disobeyed the solar calendar and the weather changed with no sense of rhyme or reason. Winter would outstay its welcome like a squatter until spring, always arriving on its own timetable (not when the vernal equinox told it to), would finally warm the chilly air. The weather sometimes remained suspended in a period of transition that was neither snowy as in winter nor rainy as in spring, but simply remained cold and damp, perfect for growing mold and making fungi flourish. A mushroom farming industry was the biggest piece of silver lining that farmers had managed to extract from this cloud of uncertainty—everything else about the weather at this time of the year made their jobs more difficult.

The Empire, much like the weather, had passed through many transitions over the 1,171 years that passed between 718 and 1889, not the least of which were a civil war between 1461 and 1469, a constitutional overhaul in 1732, an industrial revolution, and a modernizing economy. A few innovative souls who had pioneered mechanization more than half a century earlier had driven the economy to expand more rapidly than ever before, thus making it possible for even the Empire’s poorest citizens to gain entry to the middle classes and achieve a measure of prosperity. Social mobility increased, public schooling became available to the middle class, businesses opened, and trade multiplied—yet this era, while innovative and prosperous, was far from perfect. Political radicals had supplanted moderate reformers so extensively that reform now had a bad name in many quarters. Worse yet, conservatives who were previously interested in compromising to accommodate needed changes now found themselves dealing with people who would not. Reactionaries dug in their heels and usually resisted new reforms unless they happened to benefit their agendas.

The Empire’s reactionary elements mainly consisted of four principal groups that traditionally governed society. The nobility possessed substantial clout by occupying many government offices, amassing substantial wealth, and controlling vast tracts of land. The clergy decided questions of public morality, philosophy, and ethics, oftentimes setting the standards by which Monavian society lived. The intelligentsia held considerable sway by serving as the gatekeepers of universities and controlling the scientific establishments which produced most of the Empire’s research data and discoveries. Last of all there were the entrepreneurs, businesspeople, investors, bankers, and other nouveaux riches who controlled the primary means of production. Although their power was mainly economic, they had perfected the art of translating their monetary clout into political influence on a scale that gradually displaced the influence of the clergy and nobility over the previous 150 years. The city of Arsk was much like the rest of the nation to which it belonged. Most of its local officials were still appointed by a handful of nobles and its societal temperament was formed in the hands of religious officials. Its day-to-day governing decision, however, were handled by an elected council of aldermen that had been in operation since the early fifteenth century.

The first few days of March 1889 were especially cold in Arsk. The fourth had been rainy and cool, leaving the fields muddy and washing dust into the drainage channels of the roads. The city’s cobblestone streets were still wet on the morning of the fifth and had hardly dried out at all because the humidity remained high and a layer of fog that formed overnight diffused the sunlight. The city stayed dark and unfriendly for traveling until the fog began clearing at eight o’clock, but as it dissipated and the humidity decreased throughout the morning, a new heaviness took its place, maintaining the oppressiveness of the air and creating a tense feeling of anticipation that the city’s 139,000 inhabitants palpably felt without actually knowing what was going to happen.

A farmer driving his horse-drawn wagon of produce passed along the highway connecting Arsk to the outlying village of Glinka, which located some twenty kilometers to the southeast. He had been on the road for more than an hour and had drawn distantly abreast of what appeared to be a conglomeration of people milling about in some fallow fields located about a hundred yards to the west of the road. Hundreds had assembled in the mostly rural areas located outside the boundaries of the city during the previous day, but the recent reduction in traffic resulting from the weather meant that few travelers had come within sight of the gathering. The farmer, like most other passers-by, seemed unaware of the reason why these people were here.

The farmer looked over to his left and scanned the field with a pair of sharp gray eyes that were accustomed to spotting game in the woods where he occasionally hunted. He could make out a tight knot of people clustered in front of a sprawling yew tree which a man had climbed to use as a speaking platform. A light breeze moved in from the north, brushing aside stray hairs on the balding farmer’s head and nearly knocking aside his hat as he continued watching the man in the tree lean forward and shout over the crowd. The moving of the speaker’s mouth was not all that noticeable from the distance at which the farmer stood, but his ears clearly registered the enthusiastic cheers of agreement that sporadically erupted. The crowd’s bellowing was followed by a faint string of sounds that were probably the acoustic remnants of the speaker’s words. He was obviously giving a speech before an attentive audience.

Periodic applause burst out every so often for the next several minutes, during which time another farmer stopped by the wayside to observe the gathering. Both men saw the people in the field stoop down to pick up signs and banners that they had left on the grassy ground and waved them triumphantly in the air. The first farmer was in a sociable mood because he was about to pitch the sale of his produce to the urban markets and thus decided to converse with the second one after noticing him appear. “Is that someone running for office?” the first farmer asked.

“That man in the tree looks like he’s firing up some rabble-rousers. I’m certainly not going to vote for him if he’s running for anything, and besides, those solid black flags look like something that belongs at a funeral, not a rally,” he dryly commented.

“You think they’re rabble-rousers?”

“Yes. Black is an anarchist color and anarchists usually like to fly solid black flags.”

“You don’t think they’ll try to cause trouble in the city? There are a lot of them over there and they could cause a lot of trouble.”

“There’s enough police in the city to jail all of them if they act up. I see no reason to worry; I don’t live there anyway and I don’t care if they do as long as I sell my sheep and get out of there before the trouble starts.”

“We had better get to the market then,” the produce farmer commented. He returned to his wagon, grabbed the reins of his horses, and departed from the scene while the second farmer lingered for a few more minutes to watch the crowd’s movements.

The crowd that had assembled by the yew tree numbered around 900 (give or take a few dozen), but it would have been much larger if a rainstorm had not turned some of the roads to mud earlier that morning. The weather’s unforgiving treatment of the hundreds who were still trudging up the roads was enough to leave the rally’s leaders disappointed, but they were also smart enough to use it to their advantage. The leaders wanted to have some more time to gather their followers together before making their presence known, and the wetness of the weather aided them by keeping a lot of traffic off the unpaved roads that passed nearby. Even if the weather had been better the local police force had enough manpower to handle up to 2,000 protestors without straining its resources, so the leaders planned to wait until they had gathered at least a thousand more people before marching on Arsk.

The organizers agreed to conduct a head count once the day’s arrivals had set up camp that evening and another one at lunchtime on the following day. Their hopes were soon rewarded when they woke up on the sixth to find the fog gone and the clouds thinning out to let the sun shine through in various places. Two thousand additional people showed up by the time the organizers broke for lunch at midday and droves of others continued streaming in thereafter, leading some to believe that the total number of marchers would reach 4,000 by nightfall. The organizers were understandable thrilled by these developments and met after sunset to review their plans for marching on Arsk, but rumors of another four or five thousand incoming people had infected them with a burning temptation to wait for more arrivals and they narrowly voted to hold their position for one more day.

Two thousand additional people poured into the camp throughout the following day and pitched their tents by the roadside, but their proximity to the road prompted curious passersby to ask questions and discern their motives. By the evening of the seventh the authorities in Arsk had heard enough to grow nervously wary of the assembly forming outside their city and they lost no time sending a few policemen out to watch the crowd from a distance. Once the organizers realized that they had lost the element of surprise, they voted to move forward with their original plans and break camp by eleven o’clock on the following morning so that they could enter the city.

✠ ✠ ✠ ✠

March 11, AD 1889
0925 hours local time

City Hall
Downtown Arsk
Araskov Province
Northwestern Nova

The masses were restless. The body of marchers that entered the city on the afternoon of the eighth had not only overtaken dozens of streets and public squares, it had also seized control of entire districts and claimed them as camping space in which to set up temporary accommodations. Thousands of residents locked themselves inside their homes or fled the city outright and hundreds of businesses closed down while shopkeepers quietly spirited away valuable merchandise at night to minimize potential looting. The organizers successfully restrained most of their followers from causing significant property damage during the first day of demonstrations, but the fiery rhetoric that various speakers used did nothing to help keep everybody in line. The 6,100-strong assembly thrived on the zealous bombast of its leaders and was unwilling to relinquish the foothold it had gained until it was sure that it had made its point with the authorities.

Conditions grew unhygienic as the multitude turned to primitive methods of relieving themselves by the wayside and struggled to find enough buckets of water to wash their waste and refuse into the roadside drains.
Nearly a hundred people quit their demonstration sites for less foul-smelling locales by the beginning of the second day and set themselves up in locations that were more conducive to their plans. The leaders had managed to find and organize some of their better-educated followers into a group of deputies responsible for distributing foodstuffs, removing waste and garbage, setting up shelters, and otherwise making the other demonstrators comfortable enough to continue. By the end of the second day they had made enough logistical arrangements to feed the whole mass of about 7,500 people under their care.

Having now settled down with the resolute determination of an armed occupation force, the demonstrators were now less nervous because they did not have to worry about aborting their plans because of bad weather or a lack of supplies. They rallied through the third day, chanting more loudly than before and refusing to budge from their positions. The native population had grown fed up with constantly passing by the revolting scenes of ill-clad mobs which verbally assaulted them with abusive shouts and insulted them with vicious brickbats. The mob had done much to earn contempt from local residents, but the slanders they hurled were not their worst atrocities. Fires had been set in several buildings and property damage finally spiraled out of control by the middle of the third day. Drunkenness and substance abuse were cancerously spreading through the ranks of demonstrators and leaving many of them delusional, impaired, inebriated, or simply unconscious.

City officials fretted for hours over the deterioration of the protest. Suppressing it for any reason of disagreement with its aims was unconstitutional and thus prohibited. The mayor had ordered barricades to be erected by the police wherever they were needed and the Council of Aldermen had adjourned their regular meeting on the tenth an hour early as a precautionary measure after demonstrators were spotted outside City Hall. National Militia troops were unavailable because they were stuck assisting military engineers with making emergency repairs to a dam that had nearly burst after the recent rains flowed in behind it and raised the pressure faster than the spillways could release it.

The conditions appalled Alderman Fred Grayson more than they did most of the other residents. Grayson found the job tolerable since he had been elected to his post in 1886, but now his title and profile in the community made him a logical target for the mob to attack. The timely intervention of the police was all that saved a taxation agent from being lynched on the previous day and anyone flying a royalist flag was being chased around and harassed to no end. This flag still flew on a brass pole jutting skyward from the front rooftop balcony of Grayson’s place of residence, a two-storey brick building covered with a beige limestone veneer. The nearest group of demonstrators that he had observed during the previous afternoon was located eight blocks away and had not been overly rowdy, but he could not afford to let down his guard after he had seen them desecrate the national flag that evening. He had placed a loaded shotgun by the front door and instructed his wife to use it to shoot anyone who tried to tear down either their flags or otherwise steal from or vandalize anything located on the property.

Grayson awoke to the distant droning of the masses at seven o’clock on the morning on March 11. The day was miserably humid and everything outside smelled musty. The temperature outside was all of fifty-five degrees Fahrenheit and a ten degree wind chill was often present. Breezes carried the odors of the inner city into its outlying districts. Even the air inside the houses did not seem fresh, for it had grown stuffy as a result of being shut up so tightly against the exterior dampness. Grayson had nothing but moist, heavy air to breathe once he stepped outside at nine o’clock that morning to leave for City Hall. It felt unnaturally thick inside his lungs and hampered his stamina as he walked down the lane. A gloomily overcast sky sat atop everything he saw, burdening the scene with an ominous heaviness that heralded what was to come.

A sudden gust of wind smacked into Grayson so hard that it blew his half-donned coat wide open and nearly carried it away, but he snatched it before it could be lost to the wind. Grayson hurriedly fastened his coat shut as he ran towards a passing omnibus and paid the driver a quarter thaler to make a quick dash towards City Hall, with the added request of not stopping for new passengers. Minutes after boarding the omnibus, Grayson and a handful of intrepid passengers willing to hazard a journey through the city watched as they passed throngs of halfway-drunk protesters who were still recovering from the previous night’s revelry. Opportunistic purveyors of vice were selling alcohol by the barrel and the keg, sometimes even watering it down to stretch their supply and scam their customers into giving them more money. Passengers made shocked faces as they heard the pitiful groans of hangover victims who were unable to cause any more abuse. For one unfortunate circle of weary-eyed people huddled on the roadside, twelve hours of demonstrating and listening to anarchist platitudes being shouted down the street during the preceding day had left them in a torpid state of fatigue. The noise denied them the rest they craved, leaving them half deaf as they tried digesting their morning meal, or what little was left of it after generous helpings of spoiled wine had upset their stomachs and made them vomit it up all over their banner.

More such scenes appeared as the omnibus drew closer to City Hall, which was located in the middle of a block of wooded parks and lawns that the anarchists were struggling to occupy. The grassy lawns had been badly trampled and would turn into mud if its new occupants were allowed to stay there. Grayson also saw a spot located one block away from City Hall where some unscrupulous people had decided to pitch a tent on the sidewalk in plain view of the passing street traffic. A man bearing a box of drugs exited through the front flap, causing a cloud of smoke to billow out through the gap. The smell that wafted down the street revealed that tent was a makeshift opium den and its activity was evidenced by the queue of people handing coins to another man outside. The entire group knew too well that the police could not afford to spend their time arresting them when they were tied up suppressing a riot that had broken out at the local militia armory and nonchalantly stood around as they waited for their turn to pay up the modest fee required for admission. The sheer smugness on the opium dealer’s face would have boiled Grayson’s blood had he seen it.

Grayson disembarked once the omnibus arrived at City Hall. He fought his way past another drunk who was ambling all over the lawn before catching an amateur pickpocket in the act of stealing from a city clerk whom he recognized from behind. The alderman lost no time in bludgeoning the left side of the pickpocket’s head twice with his ornamental rosewood cane, sending the man sprawling onto the ground. He informed the clerk about the pickpocket while passing through the front entrance checkpoint that the police had set up, then ascended a flight of stairs, and walked over to a meeting room where he expected to find the mayor and some others who he had expected to meet. The room was empty, so he made a quick jaunt up another flight to the floor containing the mayor’s office, gently gripping the doorknob so that he could turn it quietly enough to avoid disturbing any conversations that might be taking place inside.

When Grayson finally pushed the door ajar, he found three men conversing inside the room. The city’s mayor, a slightly overweight man in his fifties named Derek Perot, pompously sat behind his gigantic hand-carved desk and sipped out of a half-empty snifter of his favorite brandy. As usual he was dressed well, having donned black trousers, a starched, white collared shirt, and an ivory vest with a matching ascot tie. The fine gold watch chain that hung at his side completed the image that marked him as a man of style. Another alderman named Henri Duval was seated across from the door. He was twelve years younger and half a head shorter than Grayson, but he still cut a bold figure in his chocolate brown three-piece suit and silken ascot tie embroidered with gold floral patterns. A third man of average height and strong build sat silently in the corner of the room as he listened to Duval’s commentary about an article in a newspaper he was holding.

Grayson opened up the door and rapped on the inside before stepping into the room. Mayor Perot spun in his seat as Duval set the newspaper down. “Alderman Grayson, I was not expecting you to make a trip in here. It’s dangerous outside.”

Grayson laughed. “You seem to have survived the trip here intact.”

“It was a bit rough, but luckily the masses outside were mostly asleep when I slipped inside at seven o’clock.”

“I suppose that we all had to adapt to putting up with a mob that won’t go away. It was fine when were just marching around and waving their banners and shouting slogans, but then they started keeping us all up at night and setting things on fire. They’re not being all that pleasant at the moment and the weather isn’t helping either.”

Perot turned towards the man in the corner as he spoke to Grayson again. “I have spent all of the last ten minutes chatting with Mr. Duval and this esteemed country gentleman. Allow me to acquaint you with him.” The mayor rose from his seat, walked around his desk, and strode over to the other side of the room. “Lord Nikolić, this is Fred Grayson, one of the aldermen of this city.”

“Thank you, Honorable Mayor.” Lord Nikolić smiled as he stood up to shake Grayson’s hand while Grayson bowed his head slightly forward. “I am the Honorable Lord Djuro Nikolić, Viscount of Glinka. I suppose that your esteemed mayor’s hospitality leaves us with enough pleasure to go around.”

“It is certainly an honor to have Your Lordship with us,” Grayson replied as he studied the impeccably attired viscount’s white dress shirt, trousers, and waistcoat. He had never seen a man wear so much white before. “What brings you here?” he asked after pausing for a few moments.

“I am here to assist Mayor Perot in taking back his city.”

“That is why you came, isn’t it?” Perot asked Grayson.

“Yes. This is my city as much as it’s yours. I want to help take it back from the mob.”

“You’re pretty brave if you think you can evict the mob from this place without being strung up. They’ll riot if that happens.”

Grayson disagreed. “They don’t need provocation to start rioting. The mob is spreading all over the city like leprosy and erecting dens of vice wherever they can stake out a few feet of sidewalk. I saw drunks piling up empty bottles like brickwork and others walking into gas lamps with cross-eyed looks on their faces. The streets are filled with disease and the stench of sewage is everywhere.”

“Look, Mr. Grayson, we’re all uncomfortable with this disaster. The fact remains that our hands are being tied by the simple fact that the people outside outnumber us and the police. The militia is fifty miles away from here and is assisting an army sapper battalion with repairing a leaky dam. We have nobody to call upon for assistance.”

“Mr. Duval is right. We cannot stop the masses from taking over the streets unless you plan on having a whole brigade of trained soldiers show up and drive them out like an invading army. Besides, they have a constitutional right to protest.”

“That may be true, Honorable Mayor, but they have made their point. They want the monarchy and the nobles gone. They chant it incessantly all day and their noise fills the night. They’ve gained more attention than they could ever have wished to garner during their last three days of marching and demonstrating and half of the national newspapers are fixated on them. They abuse the very journalists who come here to obtain their opinions and openly circulate them through a free press in a public forum. Only a few of them have the decency to behave civilly enough to be interviewed. Now all they do is consume drugs, spout provocative oratory, and swallow a never-ending stream of cheap liquor!” The furious alderman took a breath before he resumed speaking.

“The original aims of the demonstration lie forgotten while frenzied passions drive the mob into causing chaos none of us deserve. The public has a right to enjoy the use of this city and they will fight for it. Mr. Duval, I assume that you would fight to keep your shop from being vandalized, correct? Your employees would also fight for it, since it provides their jobs. If every shopkeeper who is willing to fend off looters had his or her workers come in and mount offensives, the people could take back their rights and—”

“No.” Duval would not assent to Grayson’s proposal. “We have no way of mustering enough citizens to do that. The crowd is rowdy and will fight back, and unless you want to see thousands of people killing one another in front of you, then you had better reconsider this idea.”

“You’re also forgetting that this building is as good as under siege at the moment and would need to be freed on three sides,” Perot explained.

“That is where I come in,” Lord Nikolić interjected. He noticed Grayson’s eyes scrutinizing him. “Mr. Grayson, Mr. Duval, Mayor Perot, I assume you have heard of the Most Sacred Order of the Censors in passing.”

“I haven’t,” Duval admitted. “The others might have.”

“I have heard of them,” Perot answered. “You’re one of those purveyors of public morality who goes around making charitable efforts and feeding people. Why would you be involved in this?”

“Earlier this year the Crown covertly empowered us to take actions against all anarchists who threaten the peace and order of this country, especially those who would terrorize innocents and call for unbridled destruction and civil war. Furthermore, anti-monarchist beliefs do not appeal to us because the Crown was responsible for our order’s founding in the first place, and it so happens that such beliefs are a major part of what this mob is promoting. Now we have threats to public health, sanitation, property, and general peace. We have a duty to protect the interests of the common people and the right of residents to enjoy their own city unmolested.”

“I still don’t understand why the Crown would empower the censors to handle this,” Grayson observed.

“The Crown established our organization many centuries ago to serve the ethical needs of the state and society. We exist not merely to practice morality for the purpose of setting examples, but also to serve as moral guardians who preserve the principles of right conduct. We exist to remedy the insufficiencies of the law by filling loopholes and righting wrongs, executing justice in the name of our most honorable sovereigns. In short, we are an organization dedicated to devising the most effective means of serving as society’s conscience and eliminating evil and suffering.

“In the political sphere it is us who ensures that the state continues to serve God and man, so that all civil governments, whether in Chalcedon or in the provinces, realize that they operate to serve others, not only themselves. The moment the state chooses to make itself an idol for others to worship, human arrogance is enthroned and liberty is imperiled. In addition, we promote the rule of law and order, for without order there is instability and uncertainty. You all know that people cannot be free when chaos is their captor and they become slaves to doubt and fear. The fearful investor never buys stock and the uncertain farmer never plants. There is no growth, no invention, no progress, no science, and nothing can be reaped if nothing is sown.”

Perot nodded in assent. “We appreciate Your Lordship’s decision to clarify the role of the Order of the Censors in serving this country, but the philosophical and political discussions will have to wait for another time. Does Your Lordship intend to provide assistance in removing the mob?”

“Yes we do,” Lord Nikolić tersely answered, briefly lapsing from his aristocratic manners.

“Just how many men does Your Lordship have here?” the mayor inquired.

“I have seventy-three, not counting myself.”

“Seventy-three? That’s all?”

“Actually, I will be picking only sixty of them to conduct the eviction. The other thirteen will be aiding the police in evacuating and treating anybody who may be injured in the process.”

Perot shook his head. “That’s not enough. How will you do it?”

“We will clear one street at a time. A systematic removal of the demonstrators from this block, followed by several areas they have unjustly expropriated for themselves, is perfectly possible.”

“What if they resist?” Duval asked.

“Some will offer substantial resistance, but I am not concerned about the majority of those camped out here on the lawn. A third of them are still too drunk to fight us if we grabbed them and threw them into police wagons this hour. We can drive off the rest of them with just a few shouts and a solid line of officers.”

Although Perot was somewhat relieved to hear that the invasive crowd would offer less resistance than he had first surmised, his mind began focusing on other economic and material concerns. “It’s going to be expensive to jail all of these people, not to mention pay for the cost of cleaning up the mess they left behind. They’ve already drunk so much booze that the city is going to be drier than one of those foreign temperance rallies if we don’t stop them from finishing what’s left.”

A loud crack split the air outside, rattling the iron-framed windows as Lord Nikolić cocked his head to the side to listen to what was happening outside. “Some idiot must have fired off a gun, or failing that, a police officer had to defend himself. There had better not be more shooting lest the mob breaks into a riot.”

Perot drew a gold pocket watch out of his coat. “It’s nearing ten o’clock and the situation is not going to resolve itself. Gentlemen, what time would be best to launch the removal?”

“I can have my lines in place by eleven-thirty. How soon can you have the police mobilized?”

“The Chief of Police can rally some officers and dispatch them here within two hours. Mr. Grayson, you and Mr. Duval should probably return home before something ugly happens.”

Grayson was willing to support an action to drive the crowds out of the residential areas and remove them from places where they were causing damage, but he had no desire to get caught up in the action. “My constituents did not elect me to cower in my house while vandals burn down the one next to it. I’ll rally some of the neighbors and drive the mob off my street but I will not do anything here. It’s just too dangerous.”

“I concur with your observation,” Duval agreed. “I’m not foolish enough to charge into a mob, but I’ll chance a scuffle with a few stray drunks where the odds are not so ridiculous. Besides, I want them away from my house as much as you want them away from yours.”

Mayor Perot cast a resolute glance at Lord Nikolić. “Let’s ready our men. As of this morning I saw nobody camped on the north side of this building, so I will have the police meet you. They should be able to assemble without interference.”

Lord Nikolić arose and shook Perot’s hand before leaving. “I hope we can clean up these demonstrations without permanently dissolving them by causing riots. Like I said before, the Censors simply want them to avoid damaging property and threatening the public’s health and safety during their assemblies,” he explained while walking over to a coat stand by the door. He retrieved a heavy white cloak that was cut like a man’s qipao but had the long sleeves and flared skirting of a frock coat and carefully slid his arms inside before fastening it at the collar, right shoulder, and waist with three golden buttons inlaid with ivory. “Gentlemen, I remain honored to offer you my assistance. I will be back within an hour.”

✠ ✠ ✠ ✠

1050 hours local time

Downtown Arsk
Araskov Province
Northwestern Nova

Nature had been ominously signaling a coming tempest of violence throughout the morning. The winds that were once but a bit gusty in the early hours of the morning were now howling at high altitudes and whistling between tall multistory buildings. Thick layers of clouds had become piled one atop another, growing darker and darker as they progressed through shades of gray and blue, until by noon the sun’s rays were blocked by an atmospheric carpet of azure-gray cloud banks streaked with smoky wisps and ashen-colored bands. Trees swayed violently as branches creaked in the wind and protesters struggled to keep their banners upright. The opium den that Grayson had passed hours earlier imploded as a gust of wind collapsed the tent and trapped several drug users inside while blowing a wad of cash out of the dealer’s hand.

At 10:50 Mayor Perot arrived at the headquarters office of the local police to meet with the chief and propose the roundup he had planned with Lord Nikolić. The chief welcomed the mayor inside his private office and spent a number of minutes engrossed in listening to Perot’s description of the objectives and aims of the operation. The chief agreed to the plan and decided to send runners to every station within a five mile radius to summon as many officers as could be spared for the operation. Eight clerks took the chief’s dictation on separate sheets of paper, hastily scribbling his orders in pencil and then folding the dispatches in half. They all departed by eleven o’clock.

A body of 220 police officers sent to City Hall was organized into twenty-two squads of ten, each of which was led by an experienced officer with a rank of sergeant or higher. Several of the squads fanned out in various locations and proceeded to round up anybody who was passed out on the roads and sidewalks. These people, some of whom had conditions that bordered on comatose, were piled in the rear compartments of patrol wagons that had been assembled along one side of the road. The officers faced a shortage of personnel and could not afford to spare enough manpower to drive the wagons themselves, so they had spent part of the last fifteen minutes recruiting civilian coachmen to do the driving. They had been promised ten thalers for every successful trip they made back to their assigned stations with full loads of arrestees, at which point the officers at those stations paid them in cash on the spot. The officers carried (and occasionally dragged) the sleepy prisoners into jail cells where they would be given time to wake up before booking and other legal formalities.

The police and a number of censors asked many of the demonstrators encamped around City Hall to vacate the lawn and reassemble on other streets after eleven-thirty that morning. In several instances they offered to help the protesters move their property in order to expedite the process, but a few individuals grew resentful and started fights, hurling a dangerous barrage of bottles and rocks at truncheon-wielding officers who had no shields of any kind with which to protect themselves. The censors and police arrested a total of 494 demonstrators by the time the cleanup ended at noon, leaving the lawn clear and another hundred people under arrest for public intoxication and using prohibited drugs.

Even as order was restored in one quarter, the whole of the demonstration had deteriorated faster than Mayor Perot and Lord Nikolić had predicted. The ranks of assembled protestors swelled to 9,000 by midday, including the 600 or more who had been jailed. Several thousand of them were cooperative and officers spread the word among the ranks of sober protesters that the mayor respectfully requested that they maintain their protests in places where they would not block traffic out of fairness to the people whose city it was. The number of cooperative demonstrators had been shrinking; however, as several factions of zealous radicals with revolutionary leanings went about spreading their vitriolic rhetoric and zealous quest for rebellious bloodlust through the densest bodies of demonstrators. These radicals had attained dominance within the divided body of anarchist demonstrators over the course of the protests and not only had a favorable view of forcibly changing of governments, but also possessed inclinations toward using violence and terrorism to attain that very objective.

While most of the radicals loved contemplating rebellion as a theoretical concept but lacked the courage to attempt it in practice, a sizeable minority among them was not as timorous as the others and was more than willing to start a fight. Some 500 of these wily rebels formed a mob and located the city militia armory, a sturdy building that was situated just a dozen blocks from City Hall and had a police cordon surrounding it to prevent outsiders from accessing the weapons stored inside. The cordon had initially come under siege by the time Grayson reached the Mayor’s office and the police were still fighting hard to keep the mob at bay three bloody hours later, but they gradually lost ground and the mob stubbornly refused to yield any of its gains. By noon several of the most vicious raiders had forced their way through the crowd and concentrated their attack on one section of the cordon long enough to break through the line of officers garrisoning the building. The beleaguered officers yielded the entrance at this point and abandoned the armory to regroup elsewhere, all the while beating back additional rebel assaults as they retreated to safety.

With the police now gone, the fortified exterior doors presented the unopposed mob with a new challenge, but the raiding party that had penetrated the police lines was too rabid to remain daunted by a handful of over-engineered locks. The mob’s persistence paid off after nearly fifteen minutes of concerted attacks on the doors, which gave way to reveal a corridor connecting the magazines and vaults which held individual stocks of weaponry and ammunition. Tens of radicals stormed inside to seize equipment so they could realize their desire to obtain implements of war, but the steel doors securing each room posed another challenge that greatly slowed the process of breaking into them. By the time rebels had breached the armory some 3,000 angry demonstrators throughout the city had armed themselves with a motley assortment of weapons—truncheons, clubs, swords, tree branches, bottles, bricks, and whatever else they could find.

By twelve-thirty the raiders had broken open a vault containing several hundred outdated lever-action rifles and revolvers, among which they also found several small boxes of ammunition that should have been stored separately inside the ammunition vaults located at the rear end of the building. While some rebels were too impatient to wait and simply ran out of the armory to continue their rampage, the rebels who tried to enter the ammunition vaults were unable to break them open because their doors were armored with inch-thick steel plates. Frustrated by this development, the rebels resigned themselves to using most of their newly-acquired weapons as improvised clubs and hoping that the police would falsely assume that the weapons were loaded so that they would be frightened into retreating.

The arsenal was located only five blocks away from a local courthouse where Lord Nikolić chose to borrow a clerk’s office to use as a command post. At twelve-thirty he stationed his contingent of sixty censors outside as the weather continued deteriorating and the storm grew more powerful. The minimum barometric pressures of even the most violent storms that seasonally passed over Arsk had rarely fallen below 980 millibars, but that threshold had already been crossed by noon and was continuing to fall. The thick, lead-colored clouds emitted a rolling series of burps and rumbles, belching out deep notes that shook even the boldest souls as thunder rattled the sides of buildings. Rain falling over the outskirts of the city had shrouded the western horizon from view. The winds increased, snapping twigs, blowing over more signs, and spooking horses.

Lord Nikolić asked one of his subordinate commanders to take a look at the advancing crowds from a safe distance and report what he saw. The scout trudged down the windy roadway as heavy breezes became gales and hampered his movement. He reached his observation point a few minutes later and reached under his cloak to pull out a pair of field glasses he had used when he served in the army nine years earlier. Seconds later, one of the clouds released a short burst of precipitation that left a streak of fallen droplets across the scout’s position and several city blocks by the time it ended a minute later. He peered down the length of the road towards a large mass of rioters who were slowly moving towards him, but they were packed so densely that he could not ascertain their numbers with any real precision. He was, however, able to determine that the rioters were still about 1,300 yards from the courthouse and that most of them were carrying improvised weapons.

In addition to noticing that the rioters lacked guns, the scout noted that they were carrying torches that struggled to stay lit amidst the wind and a large number of bottles. One of the rebels in front suddenly plugged the neck of a bottle with an oily rag, lit it with another’s torch, and pitched it through a storefront before several others did likewise and ignited hellish conflagrations in several locations. They’re throwing firebombs! the panicked scout thought. The city will burn! Some rioters withdrew to the middle of the street to prevent themselves from being scorched by the radiant heat emitted by the fires they had set, but the rains soon proved to be a more valuable ally than distance. Citizens trapped inside the area barricaded themselves inside shops and any other buildings nearby while climbing up to the rooftops to obtain far-reaching views of the scene. Shards of glass tinkled across the ground as the wind which howled overhead tore through looted storefronts and blew around any merchandise that still remained. Rocks flew crookedly as air resistance from the wind threw them off course and caused many rebels to score accidental hits on one another.

The censor continued to scrutinize the approaching rioters for another minute before turning around and racing towards the courthouse to inform his superior of what he had seen. “Your Lordship,” he began, swallowing anxiously as he prepared a candid assessment of the situation, “there’s a large body of people advancing up the street from afar. They are approximately three-quarters of a mile away and are preoccupied with setting fires at the moment. I saw a few dozen of them carrying rifles and a lot more of them holding other weapons. I estimate that they’ll reach us in about twenty minutes if they proceed at a walking pace.”

“How many of them are there?”

“I saw hundreds of them…possibly even thousands. I cannot tell.” The censor’s face was grim.

The viscount’s heart quickened as he realized just how severely his men were outnumbered. Without a moment to lose, he swiftly formed a plan for evening the odds by using the buildings on either side of the street to cover his flanks. “Order the men to assemble about 150 yards ahead of this building and form two ranks that cover the entire width of the street, from the buildings on one side to those on the other. Anybody who has a firearm on hand should only shoot at those who are comparably armed. We cannot afford to waste a single shot with odds like these.”

The censors moved outside and formed two staggered ranks running perpendicular to the direction of the road. Once all sixty of them had assembled at the location which Lord Nikolić had specified, he suddenly appeared behind his lines and provided some last-minute instructions to the contingent in anticipation of a violent confrontation. “We are facing a body of people who have no shortage of weapons and outnumber at least forty-to-one. You may not be able to reload your weapons after they reach us, so shoot only at those who intend to shoot at you. I urge you to subdue these fiends with as little deadly force as possible since the police want to take them alive, but if you must cut them down to prevent them from killing others then do whatever you must to save the innocent.”

After explaining the rules of engagement the viscount asked for six volunteers to venture forth and visit buildings along the road to warn the occupants that they were about to come under attack. It took all of ten minutes for the sextet to race along either side of the street and spread word of the mob’s advance, but by the time they returned to their lines the rioters had closed to within 300 yards and had begun quickening their pace. The rebels reasoned that if these people were not a part of their mob they must clearly be against it, so they counted the censors as enemies in the same way they did the police and any vigilantes who stood in their way.

The censors were both immobile and highly visible, so they were a tempting target for the rebellious masses whose lust for destruction was still far from being fulfilled. Having finally caught sight of some new prey that could satisfy their perverse determination, a few of the rioters at the front of the mass ran ahead, coming within 250 yards of the viscount’s lines before turning around and shouting at their companions to follow them. Scores of rioters followed their leaders forward, breaking into a run and zipping across the pavement toward the censors as if they were magnetically attracted to their new targets.

“Ready weapons!” Lord Nikolić shouted over the increasing chorus of yells and hooting that was approaching. A squad of censors lifted up their rifles and fixed bayonets on the ends in anticipation of a hand-to-hand fight. Others unbuttoned their cloaks to draw long, shallowly-curved sabers that were light and maneuverable enough to rapidly deliver lethal slashes against opponents who lacked comparable weapons. The blades elegantly gleamed in the pale, grayish midday light as the rioters came within 140 yards.

Lord Nikolić unfastened the hip and shoulder buttons on his cloak so that he could throw it open to draw his weapons. His hands took hold of a revolver that he kept in a trouser pocket and drew a previously unseen saber out of a scabbard hanging from his belt. He held the weapon over his head as the rioters covered another forty yards of ground, drawing closer. “TAKE AIM!” the viscount barked as some rioters fired off shots, fumbling as they tried to run and aim their ill-gotten firearms at the same time. The censors who had rifles leveled them at individuals who appeared to be bearing arms from the militia armory. A few disjointed shots rang out as Lord Nikolić brought his saber down in an arc to a horizontal position and shouted another order. “OPEN FIRE!”

Several rioters fell to the street, dropping their guns as they clutched bullet wounds and their companions continued forward. The two groups were all of seventy yards apart when Lord Nikolić issued his most daring order yet. “CHARGE!” a single, resonant voice thundered down the block.

The censors flew forward as if they were propelled by the intense wind howling overhead as the storm intensified further. The advancing horde of rioters had expected to muscle their way through the thin line of censors by simply swamping it with bodies, but they had failed to pack themselves densely enough to achieve the forward momentum they needed. The censors who occupied the front rank whipped out their swords just moments before they made contact with the first few rioters and cut them asunder with an astonishing flurry of precisely-aimed strikes that left dozens of them painfully writhing on the cobblestone street. Even though the censors slowed their advance in order to hold their line together, they did not lose the momentum they needed to continue making headway even as hundreds of additional rioters streamed into their path.

The censors vigorously dealt out punishing blows with a speed that the rioters were unable to match after fatiguing themselves all morning with fighting and vandalizing and running around. After less than sixty seconds of combat the rioters broke away and beat back a frenzied retreat as the censors halted and backed up to reform their line and cover the retreat of several members who had to retire from the fight. Even though some 120 rioters lay dead or wounded within the thirty-yard gap that had formed between the opposing sides, the rioters soon regrouped and charged again, often leaping over the fallen as they ran headlong into a furiously whirring row of steel blades that all but churned them into mincemeat.

Other rioters understood the futility of attempting to breach the thin white line in hand-to-hand combat and tried to soften it up by attacking from farther away. They hurled missiles of every conceivable sort while hiding behind other rioters to avoid being sliced up, and as the seconds passed it soon became clear that this approach was effective enough to force several censors to retire from the fight. Four of them had to throw themselves on the ground and roll around to put themselves out after a firebomb exploded behind them and set their legs alight while another was hit on the head by a flying rock and had to be dragged off the street by his companion. Lord Nikolić narrowly avoided being shot as a bullet flew through the side of his cloak and struck a tree, but the man standing at his immediate right was far less lucky and ended up blinded in one eye by a flying shard of glass.

Although the censors had fewer ranged weapons than the rioters, the squad which came equipped with rifles was able to take out most of the enemy gunmen and score several decisive hits against the mob’s less exposed ranks. One rioter who tried to throw an improvised firebomb at his foes ended up covered in flames after a well-aimed shot blew the infernal device apart before it could even leave his hand. The fiery burst also set two other rebels ablaze and forcibly dispersed about ten others who were crowded around the would-be bomb thrower. A revolver-toting malcontent managed to get off two shots at the front rank and wounded both of his targets, only to end up with a bullet between his eyes before he could take a third.

A cacophonic series of gunshots mingled with the shouts of the injured as scores of shopkeepers and renters who occupied multistory buildings overlooking the street soon appeared on the roofs and top floors with a variety of weapons in hand. A few of them had guns, but most of them had armed themselves with whatever they could find. While rocks, bricks, pieces of masonry, trash, bottles, cans, and even spoiled food made up the bulk of the missiles that these people used to strike their newfound enemies, a few unlucky rioters were shot or hit by firebombs as well.

Just as it seemed that the battle was about to devolve into a bloody fight of attrition that would end only after one side ground the other completely down, a thunderclap rent the chilly air like a bomb blast as the rain finally broke, drenching the city in a downpour of cold water that left the cobblestone pavement slippery and revived a few unconscious individuals. Seconds later, a detachment of eighty police officers marched out from behind the courthouse and formed three lines behind the censors in order to reinforce their position. The officers lacked the offensive skill that the censors had, but they were more numerous, armed with hardwood truncheons, and enjoyed substantial protection from missiles and clubs alike thanks to their stiff helmets and wooden riot shields.

This new show of force was enough to frighten off the rebellious souls who knew that they were on the verge of being soundly defeated, so they hoped that the die-hards who remained engaged in the fight would divert police attentions while they executed a hasty retreat. While a few of these rioters made it out, most of them found their hopes dashed by a particularly vindictive bartender who had loaded seven firebombs with volatile absinthe and chucked them into the street below, thus forming a wall of fire that cut off the escape route that the mob was trying to use. Having thus exacted his revenge against the individuals who had smashed up his establishment and robbed it several times over the past two days, he joined a number of other rooftop vigilantes who had ceased their gravity-driven attacks in order to let the police finish the job.

Although a group of about a hundred rioters found themselves trapped between the censors and the flames filling the street, there were many among them who refused to surrender quietly. In a final act of defiance, a deranged woman who had apparently consumed strange drugs attempted to bludgeon a censor with an empty champagne bottle, only to receive a surgically precise cut on her forearm that caused her to drop the bottle and fall to the pavement as she gripped the wound to reduce the bleeding. She was but one of many whose actions ensured that the fight to drive the trapped mob into submission dragged on longer than anticipated.

Once the flames had gone out and the police agreed to stay behind and place the surrendered rioters under arrest, Lord Nikolić hobbled his way in between some of the fallen and joined the censors who were still fit to fight as they resumed their advance towards the next body of rioters. The thirteen censors who had been stationed in the courthouse emerged to treat the wounded and revive the unconscious so that they could be safely taken to jail while the officers advanced and dragged the fallen rioters out of the street.

The battle that began at about quarter to one was still raging at one o’clock when vigilantes appeared along with a handful of militiamen who had been on leave and rushed to the area to restore order. By one-thirty that afternoon the rioters had been driven back nearly a mile and hundreds of them had dispersed, never to return. Although he appeared victorious, the viscount hardly felt like the winner of anything at all, for he had suffered some nasty bruises after getting hit by rocks—not to mention the brushes with injury and death that he had narrowly avoided earlier in the battle. His cloak was damp with rainwater and covered with bloody marks from some of the rioters he had dispatched, yet he soldiered on until the battle was finally won later that afternoon.

The censors had finished quieting the city down and evacuating the injured to a local hospital by mid-afternoon, but they had to wait until evening in order to count the casualties of the battle. Only three censors had left the battle completely unscathed, and while roughly thirty of them were able to make their way home, twenty-seven had suffered far more serious wounds that required hospital stays ranging between two and twelve days in length. The police came off slightly better. Forty officers had to be treated for injuries sustained during the fighting and a number of them had to repair bullet holes in their shields. Several residents lay dead from gunshot wounds and the local hospital system found itself caring for dozens of battered vigilantes and two wounded militiamen.

The censors had wounded at least 700 of the rioters but they had scored only half of the 219 kills that were documented by the police. Out of the 898 people who were jailed that afternoon before trial, 853 would serve prison terms and pay fines. Damages to property took weeks to calculate and preliminary estimates published by the newspapers a month later set the value of losses at approximately ₮12,000,000—a sum that would have been lower if the riot had not prevented firefighters from approaching the blazes that sprang up that day.

The mob’s defeat inflicted a heavy blow against the spirits of the remaining demonstrators and caused many of them to flee in panic, never to return. Some of the survivors leaned more radically to the left than ever before and denounced the Censors as government-hired butchers bent on violently extinguishing all dissent—a position that only alienated them further from the public. The organizers of the original rally soon realized that they had to introduce some standards of discipline to their followers in order to avoid further antagonizing the public if their movement was to have any odds of success, but the fallout from the riot irreparably soured the public’s mood. With their pride now in tatters, the organizers asked their followers to leave the city for good, though a few stragglers continued sticking around for up to a month after the riot had ended.

The public outcry that followed the Battle of Arsk Courthouse spurred legislators to adopt statutory reforms intended to address certain concerns voiced by socialist and trade unionist demonstrators, but it also lit the fires of a growing reactionary backlash that eventually halted the progressive tide shortly after the turn of the century. Lord Nikolić died in 1928 after witnessing many of these changes and his country’s emergence into the twentieth-century world as a regional power, albeit one that did not possess as much clout as some other countries had at that time. Little did he or any of his companions know that a day would come when a future generation of censors would wage another war with more sophisticated weapons against a foreign enemy that was far deadlier than any rabble.
Last edited by The State of Monavia on Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:37 am, edited 9 times in total.

✠ᴥ✠ᴥ✠

/‾‾ʽʼ‾‾\

The State of Monavia
Ambassador

Postby The State of Monavia » Mon Feb 11, 2013 12:05 am

CHAPTER 2
A FATEFUL COURSE

“Destiny is not a matter of chance; it is a matter of choice. It is not a thing to be waited for; it is a thing to be achieved.”

–WILLIAM JENNINGS BRYAN
AMERICAN LAWYER AND STATESMAN
FEBRUARY 22, 1899

November 14, AD 2013
1845 hours Chalcedon local time (CLT)

Assembly hall
Headquarters of the Most Sacred Order of the Censors
Somewhere in Chalcedon
Capital District, Monavia

The morning of the fourteenth of November was cool and dry as a result of northerly winds that had been blowing since the previous night. The wind kept blowing now and then, propelling a handsome array of garish kites over public parks and gripping flags so that they merrily waved as if they had the force of a semaphore signaler making them move. By law the twelfth day of November was set aside every year as a national day of thanksgiving. Fifty-four percent of Monavians followed the Orthodox faith and practiced an autumn fasting period known as Advent, which occupied the forty days preceding Christmas. They used the two days following the twelfth to consume leftover food and acclimatize themselves to a change in their prayer and dietary routines. Children drove countless parents up the wall with their usual complaining about not being allowed to eat some of their favorite foods until Christmas, as a result of which there were many families that would not be having much fun at the kitchen table.

Many of the central government’s principal headquarters buildings were located in the capital’s civic districts where they operated with large portions of their staff absent for these holidays. Thousands of additional people would show up for work on their usual schedule once the following day had dawned. One building, however, experienced an increase in activity rather than a decrease. This building, a futuristic, minimalist-styled construction nestled among international and postmodern structures, was a masterpiece of contemporary architecture. The Order of the Censors had set up their new state-of-the-art headquarters in this building in 1995, and it was here that they were preparing to induct another set of new recruits into their organization. A ceremony marking the adding of thirty-seven new names to the organization’s rolls was scheduled to take place in an assembly hall at seven o’clock that evening.

Each of the thirty-seven people being honored at the ceremony had undergone a lengthy process of recruitment and examination. When the Order found promising individuals with desirable talents and an inclination to serve social and political institutions, it collected information about and covertly vetted potential candidates. Once suitable candidates were found, they were approached by members and offered opportunities to enter its service. Those who declined were asked to sign nondisclosure contracts in some cases, but most recruits were amenable to joining. Candidates were then screened by some of the Order’s authorities, and if they were deemed acceptable, they would be inducted at a convenient time. The manpower of the Order was its most precious resource, so the addition of new censors was of great benefit to it.

None of this could have taken place if the Order did not possess the backing and resources it needed. Nobles and royalty who supported its mission continued to fund it covertly through private channels that were privy to obscure legal protections. Hundreds of years of continuous financing and careful operation had swelled the Order’s bankrolls until it held billions of thalers of cash. Its acquisitions of land and facilities were unmatched by most private enterprises. The people who served in the ranks of the Order came from many professions and walks of life, but all contributed knowledge, training, trade secrets, skills, and property when required. The new censors would impart their knowledge and skill to the others over time, increasing the collective skill and talent of the Order as needed.

The scene for the induction ceremony was a capacious rectangular assembly hall constructed in the manner of a “shoebox” style theater or opera house. The room was no ordinary auditorium, however, for it also doubled as a banquet hall and was constructed to accommodate the appropriate furnishings, include a complement of ninety-six finely lacquered Empire-style dining tables and sets of matching oaken chairs. The tables and chairs were arranged in rows of eight on twelve separate levels, the highest of which lay at the southern end of the hall and the lowest of which sat just below an aisle surrounding an elevated dais at the northern end. The hall’s design, which included two foot height differences between the individual tiers and a pair of steps for moving from one to another, had been conceived with the intention of ensuring that nobody would have his or her back turned to the speakers.

Five aisles, two of which lay on either side, crossed the length of the hall and served as avenues upon which the thirty-member setup crew maneuvered to prepare the space for incoming guests. The setup crew had already spent the morning on the most physically taxing phase of their preparations, but the tedium of detail work had only just begun. Each table required a linen cloth embroidered on the edges with a repeating pattern bearing the Order’s seal and other symbols, cut-glass vases for winter flowers, and its own set of ornately-engraved serving dishes. Once these items were in place, the crew could deploy the set of 480 gilded place settings waiting to play host to a seven-course dinner accompanied by flickering candlelight and a parade of speakers who could have consumed the entire night with magniloquent oratory had the master of ceremonies not kept them in check.

When the first attendees were finally admitted at six-thirty that evening, the hall that they entered was adorned with upright flags and reams of silken bunting draped along the walls. The guests made some conversation, most of which was small talk, while they filed inside and took their seats in anticipation of the hour when the servers would emerge and set out some appetizers. The master of ceremonies appeared shortly before seven, welcomed the entire assembly, and called upon the chaplain standing beside him to recite an invocation. The next ninety minutes passed by in a blur of congratulatory speeches and sumptuous feasting that preceded the naming of candidates. Eventually the time came for the master of ceremonies to introduce one Fyodor Jovanovich Zotov as the man who would be certifying the candidates, at which point an elderly gentleman left his table in the front row and mounted the dais.

Zotov was an even-tempered man who often used jocularity to take the harsh edge off of his otherwise serious demeanor, but tonight he would have little time to repeat his frequent jests about using his seniority to scoop up discounts wherever he went. With not a moment to lose he pulled a folded sheet of paper out of his inner coat pocket and began reading off his remarks. “Honorable members of the Order, esteemed guests, and friends, I have the pleasure of announcing that tonight a total of thirty-seven candidates for induction into the Order have been nominated by our peers and approved by the Board of Examiners. Tonight we honor the character of these men and women by inducting them into our order and vesting them with the duties and benefits of membership therein.

“Each of you is aware of what a commitment to serve the Order entails. This commitment, as I will remind everybody present, has a minimum term of seven years, but there is no maximum. Some have been able to serve for life, while others have retired after several decades of dutifully supporting us. We appreciate your capacity for commitment, your integrity, and your willingness to offer us so much. You know what our mission is and what our objectives require. In the coming days, months, and years, you will learn so much more and become a part of a fellowship dedicated to mustering the best society has to offer in order to further civilization and improve the condition of the human race.”

The censorial candidates were seated at tables located in the first two rows of the room. Zotov stretched out his arm towards them in a beckoning gesture and motioned for them to draw near. As they did, he explained to them that they were to form a single-file line on one side of the room. They were to be called up in alphabetical order for their confirmation as new members of the Order. “The time has now come for the candidates to be joined to us. Each of you will be separately called forward to the lectern, beginning with our first candidate.”

Zotov forced out a cough to free his voice. “Joachim Blaine Alba,” he called out. “Please come forward.” Alba was the sixth person in line behind the three men in front and the two women behind them. Stepping out of the line to approach Zotov, Alba walked with a measured gait, taking care to appear stately and composed. Unlike Zotov, whose elongated, heart-shaped face and angular features made him appear as if he could mentally analyze anything with the precision of a microscope, Alba had a squared face and softer features. At thirty-six he was about half of Zotov’s age of seventy.

Zotov stepped away from the lectern, gesturing for Alba to join him beside a richly-lacquered ebony table festooned with the rococo style scrollwork and decorative inlays. Zotov had placed an old Bible and a book of the Order’s statutes and internal regulations atop the waist-high pedestal earlier that evening, and now that a new inductee was finally in position, he was able to put it to use. “Mr. Alba, would you please set your left hand atop the books and raise your right hand for the oath?”

Alba gingerly touched the top of the golden bas-relief covers in which the Bible was bound, taking care not to rest his hand too firmly on it lest he leave behind a moist palm print. Apparently this took a lot of concentration, since he did not notice how limp his other arm was and how flabby it looked. “Mr. Alba,” Zotov whispered, “put your hand up higher.”

After another awkward moment of adjusting his arm until it formed a perfect right angle at the elbow, the new inductee finally received his oath. “Now, please repeat the following set of statements,” Zotov instructed, before reading aloud a series of phrases that Alba repeated over the next three minutes. In total, his recitation consisted of the following:

“I, Joachim Blaine Alba, being sound in the constitution of my mind and body, and acknowledging that I stand before a multitude of witnesses, do most solemnly affirm in the presence of their company and in the presence of Almighty God, that I have elected to enter into the service of the Most Sacred Order of the Censors by my own free will, that I make this oath without mental reservation, duress, or deceitful intention, and that I shall abide by it as long as I am bound hereunder. On my sacred honor, I pledge my commitment to remain in the faithful service of the Order for no less than seven years, and to uphold the laws and the principles which it has ordained as the way for living in rightness.

“I shall make the Order’s mission my mission: to bestow charity on the needy, to comfort the suffering and the accursed, to protect the lives of the defenseless, to aid those in distress, to promote acts of peace, to combat the evils of vice, to chastise the wicked, to honor the sanctity of life, to restrain the inhumanity of mankind, to right wrongs and injustices, to keep pure our public institutions, and to act at all times with integrity. So help me God, let this be done.”

“Congratulations, Mr. Alba. Welcome to the Order.” As Alba walked over to the other side of the dais to sit down in one of the empty chairs that had been set up there and wait for the others to join him, the rest waited for Zotov to call them up. The next person to be inducted was one of the women ahead, of Alba in the line, then a man from the rear. The names represented an incredible diversity of ethnicities and cultural backgrounds, many of which could be discerned with some accuracy simply by hearing their names called out. “Claude Porter Blackburn,” Zotov called out about ten minutes later. After Blackburn was inducted, Jerry Raymond Borden was summoned to the table.

A censor seated several rows away looked at his watch. It was now approaching nine o’clock. “Walter Timothy Cooper,” a familiar voice announced. The minute hand advanced a few degrees around the watch face before the recitation was finished.

“So help me God, let this be done,” Cooper recited immediately before another name was called out.

“Felix Elliot Graham,” Zotov announced after inducting another two people. Erica Mildred Graves had her turn after Graham, then several more candidates had theirs. “Vladimir Mikhailovich Kirov.” “Katarina Petrovich Orlov.” “Lisle Deidre Schrader.” Three-quarters of the line had been processed. The master of ceremonies checked off the name of Jan Wanda Tanner-Chase around ten o’clock. Only a handful remained.

“So help me God, let this be done,” echoed another voice.

“Cindy Allison Vetter.” Only four people were left in the line after she was summoned.

“So help me God, let this be done,” Vetter’s mezzo voice intoned as she went over to the other side.

Chloe Ira Yves was the last candidate inducted that night. At twenty-four years of age she also happened to be the youngest inductee and had the shortest name to boot. When she took her place among the others at ten-fifteen, Zotov spoke again. “Ladies and gentlemen, I present to you the newest members of our order!” he exclaimed as he flamboyantly gestured to the group to take a bow, which they did. The applause that filled the room was loud enough to be heard outside.

A secretary who had been serving as the official scribe for the night brought the book where she wrote the names of the new censors so that Zotov could certify it. After a minute of glancing at it, Zotov signed the page where the names were written and wrote in the date and time. “I am pleased to report that all of the eligible candidates have been inducted into the order and that their names have been added to our rolls this night.” Applause erupted once again, accompanied by a sea of smiles and sparkling eyes. The scene was indeed beautiful.

Although desserts had already been served, another round of them appeared with other refreshments so that the night could be properly celebrated. Bottles of sparkling cider and champagne were uncorked in the kitchens and served until eleven, at which point the ceremony adjourned. This night, at least for the people who were present in the room, was certainly something worth remembering.

✠ ✠ ✠ ✠

December 16, AD 2013
0810 hours (CLT)

Royal Residence
Chalcedon

Chalcedon was under siege. The Monavian capital’s continental climate—one where the winters were cold enough to maintain solid blankets of snow for several weeks at a time—primarily resulted from its position on an elevated plateau located hundreds of miles inland from the nearest coast. The city’s native clime often played host to episodes of harsh frosting that denuded prized lawns of their verdant summer grasses and forced earthworms and insects to burrow deeper underground than they did in warmer months, thus forcing birds to aggressively chisel the hardened soil apart with their beaks in the search for sustenance. Hardiness was a necessity for any species, whether predator or prey, that remained in the city and nearby metropolises like it during the winter. Other species simply migrated and returned when the weather improved.

The November breezes had carried away the last wisps of the city’s balmy fall atmosphere two weeks before the first snowstorm of the impending winter struck on the seventh of December. Although the clouds parted after just two days of mild snowfall and the sun had nearly a week to work its thermodynamic magic, the roads, sidewalks, trees, and rooftops were the only places that had been liberated from their icy shrouds by the morning of the fifteenth. A light breeze that intermittently blew in during the previous evening gradually increased in strength, pushing in an unforgiving mass of chilly air that settled over the city like a heavy fog for sixty kilometers in every direction. The resulting inversion layer trapped a hazy blanket of fireplace smoke and vehicle exhaust high above the city as new flurries of snow coated rooftops, window sills, and every other imaginable surface in an icy film.

The Royal Residence had been frosted over as much as any other building in the capital. Ice crystals decorated the boughs of centuries-old trees that wooded the extensive grounds surrounding the structure. Fountains still flowed, but various chemicals had to be mixed with the water to ensure that it did not freeze inside the plumbing when nighttime temperatures fellow below its freezing point. The main lawns had been replanted with hardy winter grasses during the last week of October, but their success at keeping the grounds from turning into soggy carpets of half-dead foliage was veiled underneath a powdery layer of snowflakes. The handful of birds that still ventured onto the grounds to hunt for an occasional worm or hibernating insect left behind chains of delicate tracks that led from one borehole to another, all of which were surrounded by brown rings of topsoil that the airborne hunters had excavated.

Charles Petrović IX, the man known across many parts of the world as the reigning king of the Imperial Federation, had been sitting in his office since he finished eating his breakfast at seven-thirty that morning. The richly-lacquered ebony partner desk at which he sat was an Empire-style piece inlaid with golden marquetry and fitted with gilded handles. A yard-wide writing pad of brown leather covered up at least one-third of the desktop, which also bore an assortment of papers held down by a book-shaped paperweight carved out of a single slab of pietersite. A cylindrical candy box covered in indigo-colored guilloché enamel sat on his far right, adjacent to a malachite penholder set in gilded brass frame. The king spent forty minutes reading through a pile of budget proposals, occasionally writing a few remarks on a yellow legal pad he used for notes he intended to throw away once acted on.

His Holy Imperial Majesty did not plan to remain frozen in place for hours until the stack was completely read. He was expecting some visitors to appear at eight-thirty, so at eight-twenty he rose from his seat and pushed it in, leaving the half-read pile behind as he walked over to a broad arched window and began a ten minute vigil that afforded him some time to admire the scene. His hazel eyes danced across the wintery landscape, scrutinizing faraway details as they scanned the western leg of the driveway surrounding the building. Three plainclothes officers of the Special Federal Service were proceeding along the far side of the road, never failing to maintain their evenly-measured paces as they followed the route of their routine patrol. The officer in the rear cast a sideways glance at the shadowy west elevation of the residence, noting the darkened outline of the king’s familiar visage as it stared back at him through aluminum oxynitride window panes that were thick enough to stop a .50 BMG. The doubled oaken doors of the office were likewise fortified, overlaid with gilded quarter-inch-thick sheets of ballistic steel that had been pressed to match the shape of the carved design underneath. There was no way anyone would be shooting their way into the room.

The king grew pensive, reflecting on thoughts he had been considering over the past several days. He was troubled by the languorous but perceptible decline of his Empire’s political prominence in the region and the wider world over the past two years. He also had a plan aimed at reversing this trend, but it was not a unilateral exercise and it would require the collaboration of several other important Monavian leaders. The course of the Monavian ship of state was mostly charted for it by official governing institutions, such as the Crown, Parliament, and the judiciary, yet the leaders with whom the king wanted to meet were not the ones who had roles in the decision-making processes of these institutions. Instead, the king planned to meet with an independent committee of officials who stood at the helms of government, religious, and private institutions, coordinating their efforts and cooperating with one another to ensure that the empire’s seats of power operated synergistically rather than against one another. The members of this committee (though perhaps it would be more accurate to call it a think tank) were not all official heads of government, but they all occupied elite positions of trust and responsibility.

Four days earlier, the king had contacted the other members of this committee through his private telephone lines, asking them to meet at some point within the coming week. After some discussion, the parties agreed to meet at their all-but-official venue at nine o’clock on the morning of the sixteenth. All of the members were individually responsible for making the arrangements that allowed them to attend these meetings undisturbed, and as such, the king had formulated a procedure for slipping outside of the residence unannounced. Whenever he left to attend a meeting of the committee, he instructed the valet posted at the antechamber to his office to inform visitors that “His Holy Imperial Majesty is presently occupied with personal business and should be available again within a few hours.” He also made sure that his official daily schedule stated that he was “consulting advisers” and did not provide definite starting and ending times for his absence.

The king’s cell phone faintly beeped behind him, momentarily breaking the silence in the room as it signaled that visitors were only two minutes away. He walked back to the desk, picked up the device, and placed it in his pocket. The stack of budget proposals was straightened out and placed inside an ebony document case. The king pushed down on the lid until the lock clicked shut, pulled open a desk drawer, and set the document case next to a locked steel box where he kept a handgun. After shutting the drawer and locking it, the king strode over to a coat rack, grabbing a buff-colored derby hat and a double-breasted gray overcoat and draping the latter over his arm as he walked out through his antechamber.

“I’m leaving for a couple of hours to handle some private business,” he told the valet posted in the hallway. The valet nodded in assent, resuming her stolid posture as her sovereign disappeared down the corridor and slipped inside a nearby bathroom to don his hat and overcoat. The elliptical mirror in front of him faithfully displayed the assortment of fine lines that had gradually appeared all over the angular features of his fairly-complexioned face. He straightened out a few graying hairs, his mind distracted by memories of the time when they formed a perfect cap of jet black fibers, then flicked a speck of lint out of his tightly-combed mustache. Once this was done, he slipped out into the west gallery as a nondescript white sedan appeared near the stairs leading up to the west entrance. The car’s windows were heavily tinted so that the occupants of the vehicle could not be identified. A small seal representing a deep-tinting permit was affixed to the rear license plate and the registration of the documents belonging to the vehicle stated that it was part of the king’s private property rather than an official state car.

Two men emerged from the vehicle onto the otherwise deserted driveway, which was watched by only a pair of guards standing outside the west side entrance. Both men exceeded the king’s six foot, two inch stature and had muscular builds that filled out their charcoal gray dress uniforms. Both of these Royal Guardsmen were drawn from the 1st Logistical Support Brigade of I Shock Infantry Division of I Combined Arms Corps, and their selection for the task of serving as the king’s only off-the-books driving detail was also imbued with a secretive tenor. The three-man crew serving this function was always picked by its predecessors and the detail’s existence was concealed from most of the other enlisted Royal Guardsmen through selective applications of leave passes. The guards at the doors saluted as the escorts walked in, meeting the king at the end of the gallery as he slipped on a pair of dark sunglasses. It was time to leave.

✠ ✠ ✠ ✠

0857 hours (CLT)

Bureau of Administration Headquarters
Chalcedon

The Bureau of Administration was as versatile an agency as could be found within the Monavian government. It answered to and performed several functions on behalf of the Ministry of State, including operating the central government’s archives, conducting civil service exams, determining qualifications for hiring bureaucrats, and resolving disputes between other agencies. In addition, the bureaucrats serving in the Bureau of Administration also designed and printed official forms used by other parts of the government (including tax reporting forms, receipt certificates, requisition orders, and official stationery), stored the engraved plates and dies used for printing certain documents and postage stamps, stored dies used for producing official seals, and maintained copies of the weights and measures maintained by the Ministry of Commerce. Overseeing this relatively small bureau was the General Secretary of Administration, an official who answered directly to the Minister of State and often bore the nickname of “Bureaucrat-General.”

The other attendees of the meeting also began departing by eight-thirty that morning, using private vehicles rather than official ones to avoid unwanted attention during this particular commute. At eleven minutes to nine, the king’s car appeared in front. The driver stopped at the curb long enough to admit the thinly-proportioned monarch and his pair of escorts exit, then drove off to a parking garage to drop off the car and read a newspaper in a nearby park.

There were no SFS officers present to greet the trio as they ascended a set of fifteen marble steps, each of which had been constructed from flat, eight-inch-thick rectangular slabs. The stairs led to an empty courtyard roughly ten paces wide and surrounded by bare trees that had lost their leaves during the previous autumn. Light dustings of snow were the only adornment in this austere entryway, but the building itself was as businesslike and unentertaining as could have been imagined. With the exception of surfaces that had been angled for drainage, the entire five-story structure had been built with flat surfaces meeting at right angles. Its exterior elevations were plumb walls of sheet-white marble that were carefully fitted together to look like a single monolithic object when viewed from a distance. The windows were shallowly-recessed rectangular structures fitted with tinted sheets of reinforced glass and bearing downward-sloping sills that projected only two inches away from the walls. A third-floor balcony enclosed by a minimalist balustrade sat atop the colonnade of six square columns that covered the front entrance, which consisted of two tall steel doors with a stainless finish and long vertical handles that gleamed in the sun.

The king’s security detail pulled open the front doors to admit him into the lobby. They proceeded abreast of one another along a length of solid blue carpeting to the front desk and turned to the right, entering an elevator located off to the south side of the room. With the exception of official portraits of current and former general secretaries, as well as the sitting chancellor and the royal family, the only artwork and adornments in the room were a few potted plants and some family photos sitting on the receptionist’s desk. Most of the light in the high-ceilinged lobby came in from the front windows, but at night this echo chamber was illuminated by small parabolic pendant lights that hung from the ceiling on thin steel cables. These finely buffed steel fixtures glowed with the hot blue light of the LED bulbs inside them as they provided security lighting at night. Though this was one agency with no actual night shift of which to speak, it nevertheless had an appropriate complement of nighttime security staff.

The woman seated behind the front desk has just finished processing a short form and slid it into a folder as the approaching monarch’s footsteps caused her to look up from her work. “Good morning, madam,” the sexagenarian monarch greeted her, removing his hat and sunglasses in the process.

“Good morning, Your Imperial Majesty,” she responded cordially. “I take it you have another visit to the archives in mind.”

The king nodded. “Some others will be joining me down there shortly.”

“I hope Your Imperial Majesty has an enjoyable visit.”

“Thank you.”

The trio filed into an elevator on the west side of the lobby and descended into the building’s sub-basement, a quiet floor which housed most of the Bureau’s archivists and researchers. They passed several offices as they walked towards an automated security checkpoint that controlled access to the rear lobby, an area that contained a cluster of secure elevators used to connect the offices to the archives below. Once they had entered one of the elevators, the guard on his left produced a steel key and inserted it into a control panel that restricted the car’s range of movement. With a simple twist, the guard disengaged the floor lockout for a sub-level below the main archives and enabled the group to descend farther belowground.

After roughly forty seconds of waiting for the car to finish its journey, the doors parted to reveal a long, austerely lit tunnel built from plain ferroconcrete as if it were part of some bunker complex or fallout shelter. The three found it mildly unpleasant to breathe in the cool, dry air inside the tunnel as they reached a pair of three-meter-high armored doors at the end, but thankfully it was not dry enough to leave the trio parched. The king pulled a gold-toned brass key out of his pocket and used it to activate a numerical keypad on the side, typed in a sequence of ten digits, and stepped back as the doors slid apart to reveal another hallway that automatically lit up when he stepped inside. This second corridor was lined on both sides with doors leading to additional document vaults and contained even drier air than the previous one thanks to the high-strength desiccants that had been placed inside its ventilation shafts. Both the walls and the ceiling were covered with a hard, milky white material that resembled fine porcelain, but unlike most ceramics it lacked a glossy, reflective sheen to complement its glassy texture. The only other features inside the corridor that were readily visible from the entrance were the overhead lights, ventilation grates, and an arrangement of dark gray smudges that seemed to form a rectangle on the far wall.

“Gentlemen, I appreciate your continued protection. You are to shut the doors behind me immediately and post yourselves outside them. Nobody other than the handful of officials I told you about is to enter or leave this area over the next two hours,” he commanded.

“As you wish, Your Majesty.” The guards promptly fulfilled their sovereign’s command and assumed posts on either side of the doors as the king’s muffled footsteps trailed off behind them. The grayish squiggles soon took shape as he grew closer, transforming into an arrangement of ninety square tiles measuring roughly two inches across. Eighty-eight of the tiles bore arrangements of black dots depicting the modern constellations while the other two bore a large X and an arrow pointing to a square. The tiles were actually stylized buttons that formed an access keypad set into the front side of a heavy two-foot-thick blast door which contained layers of material chosen to defeat thermic lances, plasma cutters, shape charges, and other such technologies. The blast door was fitted so precisely into its jamb that a casual observer who passed by was unlikely to discern its presence, let alone the nature of the things which lay behind it.

The king entered his access code by pressing a button depicting the stars of the constellation Cassiopeia, then selecting Virgo, Draco, Norma, Octans, Cetus, and Gemini before pressing the one with the arrow and square on it. A hidden overhead speaker emitted an upbeat chirp to signify that the code had been accepted before the blast door slid up towards the ceiling with an audible pop. The monarch waited for the blast door finish rising before stepping inside the chamber behind it and turning towards a small control panel mounted on the room’s left wall. The first of the three chrome-finished toggle switches he flipped turned on an overhead spotlight, the second one lowered the blast door, and the third activated powerful machines which controlled a heavy revolving steel door leading out of the room. A puff of dry air billowed out of the cylinder as it rotated clockwise and completed a ninety-degree turn to admit the man’s entry and then came to a rest with a faint thud.

Infrared motion sensors located inside the capacious black void detected the king’s entry and activated a ring of lights surrounding the floor’s perimeter. The lights revealed that the room was a perfect hemisphere measuring ten meters in diameter and that every one of its surfaces other than the floor were lined with a thick layer of smoothly-finished black enamel against which countless thousands of finely-cut pieces of quartz had been arranged to faithfully represent the night sky in every direction. The room’s austere furnishings, which consisted of just nine white high-backed chairs, a glass-topped conference table shaped like a hollow circle with a sixty-degree wedge removed from the side facing the entrance, and a waist-high floor lamp with a chrome finish, revealed its function as a conference venue. These details, when considered in conjunction with the room’s location and the amount of security surrounding it, was enough to reveal its true identity—a star chamber.

The king took a seat opposite the entrance and reached for a switch on top of the lamp to turn it on, pulled some papers out of his briefcase, and arranged them on the table while waiting for the others to arrive. Two minutes later the cylinder whirred to life and performed another quarter-turn to admit a stocky, silver-haired man in his seventies and a taller man who wore the red-trimmed cassock of a Catholic Cardinal.
Last edited by The State of Monavia on Thu Jul 16, 2015 2:34 pm, edited 5 times in total.

✠ᴥ✠ᴥ✠

/‾‾ʽʼ‾‾\

The State of Monavia
Ambassador

Postby The State of Monavia » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:05 am

CHAPTER3
THE REACTIONARY AGENDA

“Today it is hard not to think that Monavian civilization is standing as proud and unbowed as it ever has. The Empire endured the ravages of time for more than a thousand years while still managing to retain the validity and practicability of its original principles. The enshrinement of order as a prerequisite for freedom has provided the people with reasons to believe that they can expect some economic and political certainty in their lives, the observance of tradition and an awareness of history provides them with a sense of continuity, and the promotion of civic virtue leads individuals to believe that they have a stake in contributing to society. The sacred values of the Judeo-Christian tradition and its worldview have served nearly fifty generations of Monavians over the last thirteen centuries, offering them proof that their piety and convictions can result in genuine progress. The nation’s faith in limited, constitutional governance has yielded three centuries of enduring social and political liberty while making the rule of law possible. Yet, for all of its glories, one must admit that the Monavian political system was not designed to meet the rigors and dynamics that characterize the emergent twenty-first century world—an environment defined by unprecedented conditions that would have been hard, if not impossible, for the minds of the Empire’s founders to conceive.”

–PROF. JULIA BLAKLEY
MONAVIAN SCHOLAR AND HISTORIAN
OUR NATIONAL CHARACTER (2007)

January 6, AD 2014
0908 hours (CLT)

Barclay and Lowry Clothiers
Downtown Chalcedon
Capital District
Northwestern Nova

Much like the other major cities of central Monavia, the Imperial Federation’s capital city of Chalcedon was located a few hundred kilometers inland from the nearest coast and thus had a continental climate—one where the winters were cold enough to maintain solid blankets of snow for several weeks at a time. This clime resulted in harsh frosting that would have destroyed prized lawns had they not been planted with hardy species of grass that could survive the cold. The city’s native fauna also received a raw deal each winter as chilly nights forced earthworms and insects to burrow deeper underground than usual, often meaning that birds had to work more furiously than they were used to working if they wanted to catch any prey for their sustenance.

Even the city’s 11,232,000 human inhabitants had to tolerate certain difficulties. The constant streams of traffic that ran through a city of this size helped thaw out roads and sidewalks, but the resulting slushy puddles often refroze into slippery patches of ice that tripped up many an unwary pedestrian. Even worse were the piles of snow that got shoved into gutters, where they partially melted in the sun, refroze, and melted again, eventually forming hard conglomerations that were infamous for clogging drainage gutters and blocking traffic. In spite of these inconveniences, the populace grudgingly accepted their presence as a fact of life. After all, the weather is not mankind’s property to control—not yet, anyway.

Warm spells frequently interrupted the dry, snowy monotony of early winter in central Monavia. The southern parts of the country, especially in the southwest, received frost and light sprinklings of snow, except on the mountaintops that jutted skyward into colder masses of air. The remarkable mildness of southern winters had manifested itself in more northerly latitudes, although the north coast, which was separated from the plains to the south by a series of imposing mountain ranges, had already been buried under two feet of snow by the storms that sprang up with regularity. The great central cities had been offered a reprieve from additional snowfall as a southerly wind forced the warm air hovering over the Vendian Sea inland for hundreds of miles. Sunlight bathed the air in warmth and blunted the sting of the otherwise cold, dry air. Fine, powdery snow that had been shoved aside by snowplows had begun melting inside the drainage gutters of roads, where they slowly turned into slushy conglomerations as temperatures rose throughout the morning. Birds flew around in the favorably warm air, attacking elusive earthworms and insects that had burrowed farther underground than usual to avoid the previous night’s cold.

Most of multitudinous array of businesses which served the eleven million residents of the Monavian Empire’s capital city of Chalcedon were open on this tranquil Friday morning. The morning shift of workers was already laboring in most places, with the obvious exception of those firms which opened later in the day. The conspicuous prevalence of commercial districts in the city was representative of the broader national economy, both of which had served as kernels from which the stereotype of Monavia as a nation of businesspeople had germinated. This generalization was not by itself, for it was but one among many. Foreigners of every kind had used stereotypes to paint pictures of Monavia that matched their perceptions. While the most common image was that of a nation of businesspeople and consumerists, there were some cases in which Monavians became legalistic social conservatives and others in which they were pompous scholars. Others still considered Monavia a nation divided between those who were overdressed aristocrats and those who wanted to be overdressed aristocrats. Another group saw religious zealots who let theology flow into their secular political culture. To some extent these perceptions were true—Monavia was a religious nation with a market-based economy. Its politics were controlled more by the traditionalistic, moralistic, sometimes dogmatic segments of the populace than the politics of younger and more democratic nations were. There was a basis for every facet of this kaleidoscope of perspectives and examples were observable throughout the city—representatives of every one of these groups, and far more, could be found among its residents.

Shoppers milled about in one of these commercial microcosms, with its shopkeepers and customers performing countless daily transactions. Some businesses catered to the picky and particularistic, others found profit by emphasizing variety. Some firms served the affluent, others served the sophisticated, another group served the working classes, a fourth set sold wares at prices that could be afforded by the poor, and the owners of some shops served anyone who they could persuade to part with some of the thalers in their wallets. A few took the time to purchase newspapers and read though a plethora of articles, some of which were written better than others. The Ministry of Labor’s monthly employment reports were among the most highly anticipated stories to come out every month, easily attracting the attention of business owners who wanted to fill newly-created and vacated positions. The data for December of 2014, which had been released on Thursday, January 5, stated that the nation had a labor force participation rate of 71.6 percent and an unemployment rate of 3.8 percent. These numbers, when applied to Chalcedon alone, meant that the city had 7,737,000 active workers and another 305,600 unfortunate souls who needed jobs.

Rick Harper, Esquire, was not presently interested in employment statistics. Though he was a lawyer by trade, employed as the chief civil legal adviser of the Roman Catholic Archdiocese of Chalcedon, he was running an errand at the archbishop’s personal request. His destination was a tailor shop and his task was simple compared to what he normally did in his office. Instead of sorting through arcane legal language interspersed with an overabundance of “fifty dollar words,” all he was picking up something which the archbishop had ordered from a tailoring service and delivering the payment in the form of an envelope stuffed with cash.

Mr. Harper had little trouble navigating the orderly square grid of major roads that formed the basic layout of the city. He was a native of Kubrat by birth, then moved to Chalcedon in 1997 to open up a new law firm, and had been working for the archdiocese as a legal consultant and advisor for some four years when he was requested to run this particular errand. It was more like a favor that needed to be done on behalf of a business associate, but he had been told that what he was picking up would be used by legal officials of the church and therefore concerned him, albeit indirectly. These subjects had already whizzed through his mind in the first few minutes of his commute, which lasted about a half hour. His maneuverable silver coupe was fast enough to cut that journey down to a third of its original length had there been no speed limits or traffic lights, but it had enough storage space to haul whatever he was picking up, and that was all that mattered. Nobody was so impatient that the errand had to evolve into a rush delivery.

The sight of Harper’s silver coupe came within view of the shop at twenty-eight minutes past nine. He had telephoned the clerk in advance so that he could inform the staff Harper was on his way and that they should expect to see his car appear at the front by half past nine. Brass letters spelling out the name of the store in both large and small capitals greeted Harper as if they were a row of gleaming golden teeth. The sign, with its deep green background, had been duller, covered with tarnish and dust only a month earlier when he drove past the side of the shop on his way to an office located elsewhere, so the sign had obviously been thoroughly cleaned.

With a thin smile of admiration for the quality of the cleanup, Harper parked his car in front of the store in a narrow parking lot and put on his gray hat with white pinstripes. He walked towards the store with a briefcase tucked under his arm and shut the door of the car, doffing his hat as he went inside the establishment and running into one of the clerks.

“Mr. Harper, I presume?” asked the clerk.

“That’s me. I’m here to pick up something which His Eminence had ordered a few weeks ago.”

“This way, Mr. Harper,” the clerk answered. Harper slipped between two mannequins sporting navy blue suits and followed the clerk to a counter. “I’ll put it on the counter for you while Jack gets the bill,” the clerk explained, motioning for a young, dark-haired man to open up a record book where custom orders were written down and then compare it with a pricing book to determine which amounts would go into the cash register’s computer.

Harper brushed aside a stray clump of his short, brown hair and looked at Jack, who had curled the ends of his mustache slightly enough that they were no longer straight. The clerk was already returning from a back room with several flat boxes in hand, each of which was large enough to hold a sheet cake for fifty people. “There’s another set in the back. I’ll have those out in a minute.”

“There’s no rush!” Harper called out to the clerk. “It’s not like we’re on a military time table.”

“This is one special order that you have here,” Jack interjected. “Eight sets of robes, or vestments, or whatever they’re called.”

“I don’t know exactly what they are,” Harper replied, “but the church is paying for them.”

“His Eminence has deep pockets.”

“It’s probably for a worthy cause, from the looks of things. Like I said, I don’t know what they are, but if he’s outfitting missionaries, then—”

Harper was interrupted by the sound of the clerk returning with the second stack of boxes. “Here are all eight of them. I think Jack has got the bill, right?”

“Yes sir, and it’s a pricey one!”

Harper shot Jack a dirty look and set his briefcase down on the counter. “What’s the amount?”

“The total runs ₮3,890.00 including sales tax.”

Harper lifted up his briefcase, turned the combination dials to the right numbers to unlock it, and raised the lid. Reaching into one of the pockets attached to the inside of the top, he withdrew a small change purse and flicked it open. It was a little awkward for him to reach inside, but within moments he drew out a gleaming disc of gold and set it on the counter. Another seven ₮500 coins like the first came out of the change purse, which Harper put back into the briefcase.

Jack was speechless. He had seen customers pay with wads of bills, but large denomination gold coinage like the ₮100 and ₮500 coins, both of which were legal tender and publically circulated, were still a rare sight for obvious reasons.

“I believe that you now owe me ₮110.00 in change.”

“Yes…I believe I do.” Jack opened up the register to withdraw a pair of fifty thaler bills and a ten thaler bill. The eight gold coins were placed in a locked compartment underneath the top bill tray. “It’s a pleasure to conduct business with you, Mr. Harper.”

“The pleasure remains mine. Give my regards to the manager.”

“Of course. Do you need help with the boxes?”

“Yes. Will you please carry four of them while I carry the other four?”

Jack grabbed one of the stacks of boxes while Harper took the other one in hand and had another clerk come forward to hold the door. Several minutes later, Harper was on his way back to the cardinal’s offices.

✠ ✠ ✠ ✠

1003 hours (CLT)

Office of His Eminence Cardinal Enrico Buchman, Archbishop of Chalcedon
Chalcedon
Capital District
Northwestern Nova

Cardinal Buchman reached his office at seven to find a six-inch-high stack of letters in the wooden box used to hold his incoming mail. As was his habit, the cardinal spent the first hour or two of his official day answering correspondence and writing some of his own, in addition to making inquiries into certain administrative matters. His Eminence intended to deal with his other administrative duties later in the morning, so he spent the next two and a half hours opening up mail and writing replies. By nine-thirty he had finished reading through the stack and writing out short replies, some of which he would leave alone for a while and then revise before he sent them.

The cardinal then took a ten-minute break from his work to read a few pages of a treatise on civil governance that he had been asked to review. He had written thirty pages of his commentary on the text, taking care to delineate the church’s position on some of the statements made in the treatise. The half-written document was stored in a manila folder next to a fifty-year-old typewriter that occupied the top of his writing desk. Rising from his seat, the cardinal walked past the writing desk to a row of bookcases and pulled a heavy codex bound in covers of brown leather off a shelf, taking care not to let his grip slip. The aging covers of the book had suffered some light cracking from exposure to dryness in years past and its once white pages had darkened until they had reached the color of yellowed ivory. Accidentally dropping it would have almost surely detached the pages from the spine.

Once the cardinal had returned to his main desk, he read through seven pages of densely-packed text, and then looked up to glance at a wall clock to see how much time he had left. He used his spare minute to read another page before he set the book down and review a report from the in-office accountant. Collections for December 2013 were 1.7% greater than they were in December 2013, but the growth rate was not adjusted for inflation. Once the inflation rate had been factored in, the total growth in collections was almost nothing.

A telephone call came in. “Your Eminence, I have Senator Gerard waiting in your antechamber,” the familiar voice of his secretary explained.

Isaac Gerard had served in the Monavian Senate for twenty-nine years and was preparing for his sixth and final senatorial election before he planned to retire. He was a member of the Royalist Party and a close political ally of the cardinal, who had been his parish priest forty years earlier. “Have him wait a minute while I file something away. He is free to come in after that.”

“Yes, Your Eminence.”

The cardinal stowed the accounting reports in their folder and carried it into a room he used as his filing and document archives within the space of fifteen seconds. While he was inside, Gerard entered the office and walked far into the room, looking for the cardinal. He could not find the man, so he allowed his eyes to peruse the assortment of items covering the cardinal’s desk. The old book that the cardinal had been reading had been left next to an antique inkwell and a stack of papers. Gerard accounted curiosity among his weaknesses, though he considered it a fleeting one which was innocuous at worst. Walking around the desk to the other side, he began reading a few lines out of the book where the cardinal had left off.

The libertine conception of equality is not significant for its inherent merits, but rather because of its role as the principal tenant of the liberal order that has overtaken countless nations in the early years of the XIX Century. This conception holds that every man is naturally born with the same body of rights merely by virtue of his birth into the human species and rejects the ancient truth that the rights of the individual ought to accrue to him in proportion to his worth. The Liberal wishes to make every man have the same rights as his sovereign, but if every man is king, then every man is equal, and if every man is equal, then no man can rule over any other since equals cannot rule equals. If society wishes to pursue the object of absolute equality then its ultimate end is one of complete anarchy, for perfect equality entails nothing less than the abolition of all distinction between the rulers and the ruled.

Gerard stopped the moment he heard the cardinal’s footsteps approaching. The topic of the book did not appeal much to him since he had spend enough years studying such tedious subjects to bore an ordinary person to tears. The cardinal emerged into view and strode over to Gerard, reaching out his hand so that Gerard could kiss his ring as he spoke. “Senator, it’s a pleasure to have you here again. How has your morning been?”

“It’s been a leisurely and pleasant day so far, Your Eminence. What about yours?”

“I had my usual stack of letters to read.” He held his hands several inches apart to indicate the approximate bulk of the pile as a means of emphasizing his point. “This one took longer than usual to handle.”

“Did you receive the one I sent?”

“Yes, I read it yesterday. I take it that you came here to discuss the situation in more detail.”

“I did. It’s really serious.”

“Please explain what has been happening.”

“My home province of Rodona contains a large population of émigrés from the countries of the Fegosian Union, including roughly 47,000 from Mokastana and 28,300 from Alfegos. There are also about 2,000 people claiming Wagdian descent and a smattering of Damirians and Zaheranians among them. The counties occupied by the immigrants were almost evenly divided between the PLDP and the National Republicans before they came, but now the balance has tipped in the PLDP’s favor because the immigrants mostly have opinions favoring its platform. Anyway, an activist by the name of Naomi Ward has been campaigning for various candidates in the Rodona and has recently shifted her support from the PLDP’s candidate for governor to the SUP’s candidate.

“The PLDP’s platform and the SUP’s platform are not much different this year but the PLDP candidate for governor is weak. I can easily see socialists picking up several seats in the legislature and making a serious bid for the governorship, since the voters will pick which candidate they like more if the platforms are too similar to find any real differences. Anyway, there are two things that Ward has been promoting, and if she is successful at electing her favored candidates, then the provincial government could very well adopt these measures.”

“Go on.”

“The PLDP and the SUP want to expand the National Medical Service Bureau into a vehicle for implementing socialized medicine by having the government nationalize the medical industry. Presently the NMSB provides medical care to those who cannot afford it at taxpayer expense, so it fills all of the cracks left by the private sector. The problem is that most of the immigrants I have named come from countries where medical care is provided by government organizations more often than not and private-sector equivalents are hard to come by. Though both methods ensure that nobody goes uncared for, some eighty percent of the voters who are immigrants are likely to vote for candidates who support this measure. If they do, their representatives will pick up seats held by the Royalists and National Republicans in the legislature, and once that happens, my colleague may not have the votes to be elected again. Senator Bailey’s coalition of supporters in the legislature outnumbers his opponents by only seven votes.”

“Why do you think that I should be involved in this matter? This political problem does not appear to be a church issue.”

“Ward’s other major initiative focuses on building support for a national medical policy which would require the central government to fund birth control via subsidies. She apparently doesn’t know that the national constitution leaves that issue in the hands of provincial legislatures, not Parliament.”

“Again,” the cardinal paused, “I am asking you how this involves the church.”

“Ward was raised in our tradition and still claims nominal Catholic affiliation, but in truth she has fallen away. She preaches pernicious doctrines, passing off licentiousness under the guise of freedom and claims that various perversions prohibited by the church are not objectionable. Anybody who adheres to the canons ends up being branded with disgusting epithets and accused of bigotry for daring to question her. We cannot have our religion tied to her agenda because it contravenes our principles.”

“The political ramifications of Ward’s campaign are certainly disturbing. If she was to succeed, she could affect an entire province’s political system and set precedents that would encourage others like her to promote similar agendas elsewhere. I will ask the Special Commission of Inquiry to investigate Ward’s activities and determine if she is violating any laws. If she is, you can expect her to be summoned to answer for her statements. I will inform you of any developments that merit your attention.”

“Your Eminence had my thanks,” a grateful Senator Gerard said with a smile. He rose up from his seat and pushed it back where it belonged, then remembered that he wanted to ask for the cardinal’s blessing before he left. The task of handling Ward now lay in the cardinal’s hands, and soon the Commission would be instructed to add one more name to its growing list of persons to investigate.
Last edited by The State of Monavia on Mon Aug 03, 2015 1:42 am, edited 3 times in total.

✠ᴥ✠ᴥ✠

/‾‾ʽʼ‾‾\

The State of Monavia
Ambassador

Postby The State of Monavia » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:06 am

CHAPTER 4
THE INQUISITION BACKFIRES

[Reserved for IC post.]
Last edited by The State of Monavia on Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:26 am, edited 1 time in total.

✠ᴥ✠ᴥ✠

/‾‾ʽʼ‾‾\

Return to International Incidents