NATION

PASSWORD

Shiny Trinkets (Lost Ages/closed)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
The knights of kings
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Shiny Trinkets (Lost Ages/closed)

Postby The knights of kings » Sun Dec 30, 2012 10:02 pm

Shiny Trinkets

In this land, Valnur, is the god of wealth and prosperity. I expect you to do anything in your power to get him on our side. This could be the first big step to something larger than the company.
-Chairman Pendrew.

The night brought with it the familiar sweet and salty smell of the ocean. Bellowing gusts of wind tumbled into the dazzeling lantern lit shores of the fertile lands of Numeria. The moon hung in the sky illuminating the dark waters into a pool of sparkling silver which tossed and turned restlessly. Over the waters one could hear for miles the signs of life which emanated from the city of Apesh, a city that seemed to never die down or sleep. As was the case in many Numerian cities trade and wealth was where the power was at and any step that could be taken to get ahead was done. So it seemed even in the later hours of the evening there was still a peddler to be found harassing the people of the streets to buy his wares. Yet this was exactly the environment that the East Empire liked to do business, the hustle and bustle of nearly free trade with all the commotion to hide any frowned upon substances within secret warehouses. The East Empire had been, like in many other civilized countries, established here for many years. Still it was merely a company among others and for some time the company from the Prometheus showed no interest in expanding its power in the region. Though a big name across the country for its exotic goods it was simply another place to buy goods. Yet its vast reserves of foreign made wealth made it an attractive and lucrative trading partner for many merchants not only in Numer but across the globe. Alas the company's intentions were to swiftly change that warm and breezy night, as what appeared to be a regular trade convoy pulled into the harbor laden with goods which would fetch a fair price at the market place.

The silvery water soon began to turn a light bronze as the light from the lanterns mixed with the sea. Apesh, was a busy port, many ships and sailors embarking on adventures or, like the convoy, dropping off goods. Three trade company fluyts made their way into the crowded harbor; East empire trade ships were magnificent in size and often attracted a lot of unwanted attention from pirates at sea. Here in the sanctuary of the harbor the only people that came to see the convoys were the children, their brown eyes swallowing the magnificent sight of large white sails and of foreign men. The company had been established sometime back in the history of Numer and had its own private offices in the city as well as several warehouses along the port. Still private docking was a hassle to try and retrieve but the company managed sometimes winning a spot other times, trade ships had to wait. These large vessels had decks lined with crates and wrapped goods, crew members going off the checklist to ensure nothing was stolen or missing. This also helped to guesstimate how much profit one ship of wares could go for allowing the company to change goods whenever possible for the best possible exchange margin. That night though several crew members found a strange chest which had not been labeled for market, the crewman ran his calloused covered hands over them with interest. The company was very careful about marking things yet these had none other than the company brand.

"Mr. Caloway, I hope you aren’t planning on taking company property are you?" A stern voice rang out behind him. It was the company agent Elis Pen. A tall slender figure whose charm never seemed to fail him in local taverns. His golden hued eyes seemed to look at the sailor with a doubt that he intended to do anything. The sailor saluted quickly nearly dropping the charts he held in his hands.

"Forgive me sir!" The sailor stammered. "I...I was checking to see if these crates had been misplaced or forgotten...sir."

Elis walked over, his silk gloves running smoothly over the wooden crates and finally to the cast iron pad lock which rattled softly. A small cool smile ran across his lips as he withdrew the key from his officers coat pocket and heard the satisfying click of the lock. With a quick swing the top of the crate flew back and a glow that caught the sailor’s eye also caught Elis's. Several golden statues lay covered in soft hay big. Each as long as a man's leg and as wide as a torso, each very intricately shaped and crafted by expert hands.

"These Mr. Caloway are going to the very powerful people of Numer." Elis removed his glove stuffing it in his pocket as he touched the face of one of the statues. “Each represents one of the Numerian deities, two of each for the Ensi and Isis. Along with one statue for every Lugalesh for their god of that city. Each hand crafted by the dwarves in the north...had to pay quite the pretty coin piece for these. The company has interest in this prosperous land and I am the physical hand of the company here." With that Elis closed the chest and locked it again tucking back the key.

Elis walked away from the sailor who was still smacking his lips at the treasures brought aboard the trade vessels. Elis continued into another room one with bared doors. As he entered pairs of eyes met his, elvish eyes. Luna elves sat quietly behind the barred doors, they were slaves. Numeria had a prospering slave trade and elves would hopefully fetch a good selling price among the rich for their longevity and simple beauty. Elis though continued past, the elves were well fed and kept, so he had no need to worry about them. Instead he made his way up the steps to the main deck. The ship had already docked along with the others and all hands where helping unload the precious wares off the vessel.

"Can’t wait to visit one of 'em Numerian brothels eh?" A sailor lugging a crate whistled to his companion who was ogling a Numerian woman passing by.

"Ya mate; these fine women need some companion ship." The other replied sending both into laughter. Elis shook his head but did not press the subject his job was to meet with local company agents at the docks. There they stood at the end of the gang plank waiting silently, four of them. As Elis approached each took of their hats and bowed slightly.

"Mr. Elis I presume? I am Oslo, one of the main officers of the Numerian division of the company." One agent asked politely.

"Indeed, Chairman Pendrew sends his regards." Elis spoke offering a firm handshake. "I assume the appointment with the Lugalesh of Apesh is in order?"

"Yes sir, though we will have to wait for tomorrow morning the Lugalesh sadly does not take guests so late at night. I have already prepared for your stay at one of the company owned inns within the city, high class of course." The man seemed to put emphasis on the last part with a slight wink. Elis understood what this meant but merely shook his head.

"Thank you gentlemen, now if you will excuse me I have some rest to catch up on." With that Elis stepped into a carriage closing the door behind him. The driver shook the reigns and with a snort the horses pulled off into the bustling city of Apesh. A small Numerian boy ran up alongside the carriage and Elis tossed out an Empire of Man gold piece with a soft smile.
Last edited by The knights of kings on Thu Mar 21, 2013 2:50 pm, edited 8 times in total.

Numer
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Numer » Sat Jan 05, 2013 1:35 pm

Apesh, Numer

Elis' carriage made it's way through the crowded streets of Apesh, crossing small bridges over the many canals that ran through the delta city. If the Imperial looked outside, he could the see all the life of the bustling metropolis even in its twilight hours. Two men argued over a game of dice outside of one of the city's fighting pits, where the screams of battling warrior-slaves rang out amidst the cheers of onlookers. An old woman carefully filled a jug of water in the cool, flowing waters of the Reegarsh and carried it into her home, a little girl waiting in the doorway for her. Two boys dressed in rags quickly ran by a fruit stand, grabbing some mangoes as the outraged vender quickly chased after them. A contingent of fierce Sentinels walked in front of the carriage, followed by a massive war elephant. The Numerian city was alive even in the dead of night.

Finally the carriage stopped in front of the front walls of a gated courtyard. The mudbrick walls were carved with the image of Numerian cobra, the deadly reptile's lithe body seemingly wrapped around the entrance to the prestigious inn. Above the gate, the name of the inn was carved in the Numerian script, cuneiform. It read, "The Serpent's Kiss." Although Elis did not know it, he was walking into one of the finest establishments in the city, patronized by lugals, diplomats, and even the lugalesh. House Moghual, the lugalesh's house, owned the place, and it stood as a testament to their power. The bronze gate was opened as the Imperial was let down from the carriage. A beautiful Numerian woman quickly approached him, her hips swaying in the midnight breeze, and spoke in an accented yet angelic voice.

"Come, come, whoever you are,
Wanderer, worshipper, lover of leaving.
It does not matter.
Ours is not a caravan of despair.
Come, even if you broken your vow a thousand times,
Come, yet again, come, come."

She smiled and spoke again, "An old Numerian hymn. Quite beautiful, yes? I am Teratra, hostess of this humble abode. The company has made sure you get the finest treatment; follow me."

Elis was led through a courtyard teeming with life. Bright plants, an occasional mango or dragon fruit tree, exotic birds, and even some illuminating fish in a stream flowing through the place were all drenched in moonlight. An elderly man sat in the corner, writing on in papyrus tome, while a woman in the opposite corner practiced on a Numerian flute. Teratra continued to lead Elis inside, where the scene changed drastically from that outside. The walls of the place were painted a deep red, its floors a yellowish marble. Fine carpets and tapestries hung throughout the large room alongside lush plants in decorative pots, and a bright mosaic completely covered one wall. The fine work of art depicted the god Manthamen in a famous myth, putting the god of war Raggesh to sleep with his music so he could steal Raggesh's sword.

Wealthy patrons dressed in rich garments talked and drank at ornate tables and lied down across luxurious bed-like furniture instead of chairs, some reminiscing or quietly sipping imported Fariselian wine, others playing loud gambling games or making cat calls to the finely-dressed and voluptuous serving girls throughout the place. Atop a small platform, a band played slow and enticing tune, led by a beautiful girl singing. The inn also had a bar opposite the musicians, serving the finest liquor in all of Casabica and beyond. In addition, small booths were placed inside each wall, almost like cells, viewable by the center of the room by not by the surrounding booths as they were seperated by walls. A curtain could be drawn across each booth as well, concealing those inside. The place was slightly dark, but this only added to its mysterious appeal.

None seemed to notice the foreigner in their midst; he was just another paying customer and even a potential friend. But as Elis looked about the place, one person locked eyes with him. The man appeared Numerian, and like many young Numerian men, had a light beard growing out. He also had copper-skin and black hair. But his eyes were a cold crystal-blue, so bright they seemed to shine. As Elis looked glanced at the man, he appeared to look within the Imperial's soul. The unusual Numerian continued to stare at Elis as Teratra led him. He wore a dark red open robe with a deep crimson tunic, both made of fine Migser silk, and he stood behind a gambling game played by loud, rancous ,drunken lugals, one of them about to pass out. The last detail Elis could make out before he was forced to look away from the man's piercing gaze was the golden torque around the man's neck.

Teratra finally stopped at a corner booth and led Elis in. It was furnished with the long, slender bed-like couches of the main room, but they were noticeable smaller. Teratra then closed the light blue curtain. "Is there anything I can get you to eat or drink? How about some honeybeer to start; I'll be back in just a moment. If the place gets too loud, just inform me and I will have you taken upstairs- we have full bedrooms up there for those who would like some...peace and quiet." She left with a wink.

She was gone not even for ten seconds before the curtain was violently opened and closed. It was the blue-eyed man who Elis had just seen outside, and contrary to his earlier, intimidating appearance, he now had a nervous look on his face. "Please. You have to help me."
Last edited by Numer on Sat Jan 05, 2013 2:22 pm, edited 10 times in total.
My FanT Factbook

"Life is short. Drive fast and leave a sexy corpse."
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

The knights of kings
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The knights of kings » Tue Jan 08, 2013 2:13 pm

We are nothing without ambition or the drive to best others. Without this we would be complacent and lazy never understanding our true potential.
-chairman Pendrew

Elis was enchanted by the city that surrounded him, not only where the buildings exotic made from mud bricks but the culture in general was very different. As the carriage bumped along passing numerous people and sights Elis could only watch silently as he continued on. The fruit left an aroma in the air which began to wet his lips even in the darkening of the sky as the sun drove itself away to the horizon. The continuous flow of water also left a clean and cool feeling in the air, even though it was a tropical climate as it was made apparent by the light clothing on the women. It was still pleasantly cool, enough for him to keep his long sleeved officer's coat on at least.

Elis tightened his gloves when he noticed the carriage driver beginning to stop, his eyes still watching the people pass by with their own busy lives. How he wished to explore the city more thoroughly alas he was on business. His eyes drifted off with his mind until the carriage door opened with a click. A brush of warm almost sandy air pushed past him as his black leather boots crunched the stone under his feet. A light smile pressed itself against his lips as he gazed at the cuneiform writing and the depiction of a cobra, the writing here was very attractive in both style and arrangement. That was what he was thinking about until his ears beheld a beautiful voice from behind him. His eyes turned and were met by a stunningly attractive Numerian woman, he did his best to remained composed but couldn’t help himself to give her a once over. She smiled at him as she introduced herself.

"The pleasure is all mine Teratra." Elis with his usual charm took her hand and kissed it gently. "I am Elis."

As he was led through the courtyard Elis found himself looking every which way trying to absorb everything at once. The birds and the trees they rested on which bore fruit enticed him; his eyes went wide with all the color unfolded before him. Then came the carpets finely crafted, Elis took a moment to observe them, they would fetch a fine price on other markets. He touched his chin appraisingly; this was what he was here for, business. The pair continued further passing the wild games of drunkards and the quiet relaxation of the wealthy sipping fine wines. Elis nodded approvingly this was a high class establishment and suited him just fine. His eyes continued to watch the musicians and his ears became wrapped in beautiful music. Nothing stood out as a problem for Elis until something caught his eye, a golden torque. Or perhaps it was the dark skinned Numerian whom was wearing it, his piercing blue gaze burrowing into him like knives. Elis tried his best not to make it apparent he was inspecting him but he tugged at his collar nervously whilst tipping his hat over his brow.

When Teratra finally left to grab his drink Elis slumped back in the chair closing his eyes lightly, the music drifted over him like a blanket. His mind drifted to Teratra and her swinging hips, he knew he shouldn’t cloud his mind with such thoughts yet he was a man weak like any other. He smile curled up his mouth until the curtain was violently thrown back. Elis's eyes snapped open and he immediately sat straight, hand reaching for his thin sabre sheathed at his belt. Immediately Elis recognized the Numerian man and his grip tighted around the hilt of his blade ready to give a quick drawing swipe. Yet Elis also noticed the nervous look on his face as he pleaded for help. Cautiously Elis looked up at the man.

"What is it you need?" Elis spoke sternly.

Numer
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Numer » Tue Feb 26, 2013 3:09 pm

The bright-eyed Numerian nervously darted his eyes to make sure he would not be heard by anyone else. "I am Satar. Half-Achesian, like you," He pointed to his crisp blue eyes, "I'll explain everything afterwards, but I need your help right now." Elis would be surprised to hear that this 'Satar' spoke near-perfect Achari, with only a slight Numerian influence on certain words.

Satar ever so slightly lifted the curtain's corner while concealing himself behind it. "Do you see those lugals gambling over there?" He pointed toward the group of drunken, wealthy patrons that he had earlier stood beside. "One of those men is- was once- my master. He just lost me to the man with the scar." Elis could see the laughing men, and it was now-evident he had not noticed the great scar one of them had running across his face.

"That's Lugal Herunur, House Asadjir. They call him the Lord of the Pits. He runs the more gruesome of the fighting pits of this city, and the rumor is that he's never had a male slave survive his arenas for more than a week. I'd like to avoid that fate, and you're my way out. Gamble with him, and win my deed of sale. I promise you I can make it up to you, if you'd just trust me. You're a foreigner, you don't know Numer like I do. Teratra said you work for some Imperial company, yes? I can teach you how business is in Numer; you'll end up dead without some help," Satar frantically whispered. He waited anxiously for Elis' reply.
My FanT Factbook

"Life is short. Drive fast and leave a sexy corpse."
"Go to Heaven for the climate, Hell for the company."

Return to International Incidents