NATION

PASSWORD

Medieval RP - Feudal Lords OOC (CLOSED)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Sun Dec 23, 2012 11:45 am

Altorum wrote:What's a return key? (hurr im a noob)

Y
o
u

d
o
n
'
t

k
n
o
w
?
Jormengand wrote:It would be really meta if I sigged this.

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 18, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Sun Dec 23, 2012 12:54 pm

Jormengand wrote:
Of the Quendi wrote:What do you mean walls of text in plural? Apart from my second post the average post length seem fairly average for a quality RP.

The first post by P&K would be fine, but needs moar return key.
The next post by Altoran is fine.
The next post by Of the Quendi is too long.
The next post by Mahaan Bharatvarsha would be fine, but needs moar return key.
The next post by New Armazia is fine.
The next post by Solaris is fine.
The next post by The Aaronian Empire is fine.
The next post by Tarsonis Survivors is not really a post.
The next post by Of the Quendi is WAAAAAAAAAAAY WAAAAAAAAAY too long. Oh, and needs moar return key.

Well forgive me for not being a one paragraph kind of RP'er, but to be honest I took this RP for being one going for just a little bit of effort at fleshing out characters, civilizations, general moods etc. That obviously cannot be done in single paragraphs.
Nation RP name
Arda i Eruhíni (short form)
Alcarinqua ar Meneldëa Arda i Eruhíni i sé Amanaranyë ar Aramanaranyë (long form)

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:08 pm

Of the Quendi wrote:Well forgive me for not being a one paragraph kind of RP'er, but to be honest I took this RP for being one going for just a little bit of effort at fleshing out characters, civilizations, general moods etc. That obviously cannot be done in single paragraphs.

That's a decent post. So are those of Naretion and myself beneath it, save maybe the rushed two-line post. They do not need to be TL;DR fests.

New Armarzia
Minister

Founded: Aug 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby New Armarzia » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:12 pm

Of the Quendi wrote:Well forgive me for not being a one paragraph kind of RP'er, but to be honest I took this RP for being one going for just a little bit of effort at fleshing out characters, civilizations, general moods etc. That obviously cannot be done in single paragraphs.

Yeah, don't hate for long posts. I mean I read most of Quendi's posts and they are really interesting and I like them. I will try to make my next post a little more like his as mine have substance but lack details and emotions :/ Though I do agree that splitting things up into smaller paragraphs make it easier to read (just looks uglier). Plus, chances are the long posts aren't relevant to you if their nation isn't near yours so you can always read them later...though I find them more interesting, just takes time :P

Jormengand wrote:That's a decent post. So are those of Naretion and myself beneath it, save maybe the rushed two-line post. They do not need to be TL;DR fests.

That is just your opinion. I think Quendi's posts are far more superior than those as effort is actually put into it and it has a bit a quality. It just sounds like your too lazy to read it all...

And I truly mean no offense, but it seems a little pretentious when you use your own posts as an example of a decent post and you are not the OP...
Last edited by God on Mon Jan 1, 0000, 0:00 AM, edited infinite times in total.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Memories of The Forgotten Please check it out if you are interested in STALKER or an RP with a post-apocalyptic vibe.

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:16 pm

New Armarzia wrote:That is just your opinion. I think Quendi's posts are far more superior than those as effort is actually put into it and it has a bit a quality. It just sounds like your too lazy to read it all...

And I truly mean no offense, but it seems a little pretentious when you use your own posts as an example of a decent post and you are not the OP...

The trouble is, if every RPer throws masses of text up I am physically unable to read it; the individual letters and words lose themselves in the massive paragraph. Even with separate paragraphs, people with Asperger's Syndrome (and from what I've heard, plenty of people without) have trouble reading massive, massive posts and even getting a vague gist of them. One single post does not need to be quite so long.

Why should being the OP or not have any effect on the goodness of your RPing?

New Armarzia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Armarzia » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:28 pm

Jormengand wrote:The trouble is, if every RPer throws masses of text up I am physically unable to read it; the individual letters and words lose themselves in the massive paragraph. Even with separate paragraphs, people with Asperger's Syndrome (and from what I've heard, plenty of people without) have trouble reading massive, massive posts and even getting a vague gist of them. One single post does not need to be quite so long.

It doesn't effect how good it is, only the OP should have any say on how posts should be within his/her RP. Others shouldn't dictate and declare what is a good post or not. It is pretentious because you are saying what is better quality by showing your own post giving the appearance that you believe you are just superior in posting to all of us who post long than you.

And second off, people shouldn't cater to others in an RP...as long as they abide by the rules they should be allowed to write in their own style as that is how they can best express their ideas. They shouldn't hve to adhere to one person because they have difficulty reading all the of the posts.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Memories of The Forgotten Please check it out if you are interested in STALKER or an RP with a post-apocalyptic vibe.

New Babylonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Babylonia » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:46 pm

New Armarzia wrote:
Jormengand wrote:The trouble is, if every RPer throws masses of text up I am physically unable to read it; the individual letters and words lose themselves in the massive paragraph. Even with separate paragraphs, people with Asperger's Syndrome (and from what I've heard, plenty of people without) have trouble reading massive, massive posts and even getting a vague gist of them. One single post does not need to be quite so long.

It doesn't effect how good it is, only the OP should have any say on how posts should be within his/her RP. Others shouldn't dictate and declare what is a good post or not. It is pretentious because you are saying what is better quality by showing your own post giving the appearance that you believe you are just superior in posting to all of us who post long than you.

And second off, people shouldn't cater to others in an RP...as long as they abide by the rules they should be allowed to write in their own style as that is how they can best express their ideas. They shouldn't have to adhere to one person because they have difficulty reading all the of the posts.

I agree. However, you have to understand his point of view. He suffers from an un-curable syndrome. However, my writing style separates paragraphs based on situation, and more than the average minor change. And dialogue, of course.
The power of self is unlimited and ultimate, an unending wave of pure energy and being that could never be stopped, apart from time and forever ingrained into the fabrics of all being, this is the truth of Korrelian Existentialism.

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know gender and sex aren't the same thing ⚧
Pronouns? Just use whatever, it's all the same to me :P
You will always have your friends, with your friends, you will never be alone. There will always be a light. Friendship is Magic, its the magic that brings the most glimmering lights of hope to the darkest of worlds. And as long as you have it, you will never have to be afraid of the dark. - Me, New Babylonia ^^

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:48 pm

New Armarzia wrote:-snip-

Zo EyE kan spel as bdly as i lik cos i dont hve to kaytor 2 teh oter playrs?
Como alternativa, puedo hablar en español porque no importa si usted no puede leerla.

It doesn't work like that. An RP is about co-operation, and if I have no clue what you're talking about IC, it ain't gonna help me one bit if you rant about individual styles.

Altorum
Spokesperson

Founded: May 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Altorum » Sun Dec 23, 2012 1:51 pm

I tend to feel that substance is really the only thing that matters as long as the description is detailed enough to make things easy to imagine and play off of from the other players. If something's too long, at least half of it is extraneous information; too short, nobody knows what's going on.
A peacemongering, pseudo-isolationist state with a large, well-funded military but mediocre social programs.

Willing to host peace conferences within Altorum. TG if interested.

This nation does not represent my own political views.

New Armarzia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Armarzia » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:26 pm

Jormengand wrote:

Zo EyE kan spel as bdly as i lik cos i dont hve to kaytor 2 teh oter playrs?
Como alternativa, puedo hablar en español porque no importa si usted no puede leerla.

It doesn't work like that. An RP is about co-operation, and if I have no clue what you're talking about IC, it ain't gonna help me one bit if you rant about individual styles.

(Not just responding to you, just don't wanna quote everyone).
That would follow under the rules of the RP...your honestly just trying to be confrontational now and not trying to solve anything which is disappointing.
If getting lost in the words is the biggest problems than zoom in on the page so the font is bigger, it makes it a lot easier to read and it makes it harder to skip lines when it is larger. It helps me when reading longer things from time to time. Or just copy and paste it on

And if you read it you would know what is going on in the IC. Quendi shouldn't have to be punished and criticized because you have a harder time reading and it is not even like he what he is writing doesn't make sense...it makes a 100% sense, you just are unwilling to try to find a way to read it. I understand you have a syndrome that hinders your ability to read and I admit I do not know much about that syndrome, but it doesn't prevent you from reading something...it makes it harder and there are things that you can do to make it easier as well, not just him. He can space it out more so it is easier to read...but he shouldn't have to cut it down so it no longer serves its purpose.

His posts does a really good job of descriptively introducing important characters within his nation through a series of scenes. There is a lot of description, but it is not extraneous, it is fleshing out characters and making them come more to life so when someone reads it they get the same vision and not a bunch of varying ideas. It also reflect the current political and cultural situation of his nation. If he cut much of it those would be lost and his post would no longer provide a good description, but rather just a brief description of some characters that will come up later.

I am mad at myself for my post due to its lack of content. I did not present my characters well or my nation, rather just showing the current political situation. I am sorry for the rant, but I just don't agree with y'all. It may be due to the fact I started in the Sci-Fi side of nationstates where posts are always long and descriptive due to the fact that each nation is so personal that you have to provide amazing amounts of detail so everyone can undersatnd what you are trying to illustrate. Requiring people to write less seems counter-productive to the entire idea of a written RP...in my opinion.

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:46 pm

Sorry, half of what you said makes no sense. Also, I don't want to argue, but really, nor do I want to read stuff that I can't read.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Sun Dec 23, 2012 3:46 pm

Sorry about my place holder. Just finished teaching a month long course, and I'm sitting in an airport. I'll get one up ASAP

New Armarzia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby New Armarzia » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:01 pm

Well, I plan on having longer posts with more description as I am quite disappointed with my first post, but it seems that is going to be a problem. And if people are going to be criticized for having longer, detailed posts than I dunno if I should be apart of this...

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:06 pm

I'm with Az. I write long detailed posts describing ascene like a book.

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Sun Dec 23, 2012 4:07 pm

New Armarzia seems to have penned all my thoughts better than I myself could (thanks for the support and compliment btw NA) so I will be terse on a few points.

First, regarding Aspergers syndrome I am myself "suffering" from it and as such find myself perfectly able to sympathize to those restrictions that place on those afflicted with the syndrome. That said I have never heard of anyone with Aspergers syndrome having reading difficulties (as part of the syndrome at least).

As far as making more paragraphs is the issue I myself find it very difficult to read block texts and strive rarely, if ever, to exceed 10 lines per paragraph. Admittedly that is a rule I did not live entirely up to in the second of my posts, but since I assume most of us regularly reads books where there is no paragraphs I can't much sympathize. Same goes for the tl;dr argument. With all due respect to the rest of you if I can spend four-five hours writing a post then you can spend 10-12 minutes reading it.

In these my introductory posts I am seeking to create an atmosphere for me country, a dramatis personæ over what I hope to believe to be characters that aren't archetypes (now here is where my aspergers troubles me), a detailed and, hopefully, helpful introduction to my civilization for people to use when interacting with it. Perhaps they were long, though compared to the RP samples I presented think the first one is about average and the second one only somewhat longer than average, but if a majority of the people in the RP, or the OP, has a problem with them I will of course take that under consideration.
Nation RP name
Alcarinqua ar Meneldëa Arda i Eruhíni i sé Amanaranyë ar Aramanaranyë (long form)

Altorum
Spokesperson

Founded: May 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Altorum » Sun Dec 23, 2012 5:23 pm

Putting in my two cents once again--I have no problem with any post length.
A peacemongering, pseudo-isolationist state with a large, well-funded military but mediocre social programs.

Willing to host peace conferences within Altorum. TG if interested.

This nation does not represent my own political views.

Annaliea
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Annaliea » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:20 pm

I personally believe that as long as the post isn't rambling on about something completely unecessary, then post size simply allows for further detail and depth, which is a good thing in any RP.

Pawn and King
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pawn and King » Sun Dec 23, 2012 6:39 pm

Jormengand wrote:
New Armarzia wrote:That is just your opinion. I think Quendi's posts are far more superior than those as effort is actually put into it and it has a bit a quality. It just sounds like your too lazy to read it all...

The trouble is, if every RPer throws masses of text up I am physically unable to read it; the individual letters and words lose themselves in the massive paragraph. Even with separate paragraphs, people with Asperger's Syndrome (and from what I've heard, plenty of people without) have trouble reading massive, massive posts and even getting a vague gist of them. One single post does not need to be quite so long.

That is not our problem.

This is a subjective opinion.

I enjoy reading Quendi's posts. They are, actually, more the style I was hoping to go for - not pointlessly long, but care and effort is actually taken very deeply on the post, and there is significant fleshing out of personality, environment, culture and history. I sympathise with you having a Syndrome that makes it harder for you to comprehend literary style text, but you chose to RP. Every post should attempt to move a plot line forward - whether that be a shared plot line you develop with your fellow RPers, or an individual plot line you have yourself, and as such, I would be surprised to see a two liner in this RP.

I am not saying what you can or can't do, but I am saying, if you can write a wonderfully verbose and succinct post detailing complex traits of your characters, potential plot routes, environmental information and cultural pointers - when relevant - you are a wonderful writer, and should publish.

As you say you have problems reading paragraphs and understanding the gist, the gist is this:

I am sympathetic for you, but I am of the opinion that so long as a post is progressive, it may be as long as someone likes. I am opposed to stagnation and regression, which I feel shorter posts cause.
Need an Assassination done? Look no further...

The Aaronian Empire
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 23, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Aaronian Empire » Sun Dec 23, 2012 7:09 pm

I felt my post could have been a little longer but I wanted to get something in to start things out and then go from there with making characters more interesting and fleshed out. (I like having personalities and motivations for my military commanders)

Also, if anyone wants to do anything cooperative in this, send me a telegram
The Aaronian Empire wrote:
St George of England wrote:Following a recent "threat" from the Aaronian Empire to rearrange all the furniture in the capital of Nottingham, His Imperial Majesty has extended an offer to the Aaronian government to send a team of interior designers to help decorate the under construction Palace of Angels.

Has accepted St George of England's offer and will be sending a battallion of interior decorating commandos Lead by Lieutenant Westfield

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Mon Dec 24, 2012 9:18 am

Pawn and King wrote:I am sympathetic for you, but I am of the opinion that so long as a post is progressive, it may be as long as someone likes. I am opposed to stagnation and regression, which I feel shorter posts cause.

I've seen perfectly decent RPs consisting of no more than two paragraphs per post. I'm sorry, I would have loved this, but I cannot read it. Sympathy, my arse.

Pawn and King
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Pawn and King » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:03 pm

Jormengand wrote:
Pawn and King wrote:I am sympathetic for you, but I am of the opinion that so long as a post is progressive, it may be as long as someone likes. I am opposed to stagnation and regression, which I feel shorter posts cause.

I've seen perfectly decent RPs consisting of no more than two paragraphs per post. I'm sorry, I would have loved this, but I cannot read it. Sympathy, my arse.

I am not saying you can't post two paragraphs per post, that's perfectly acceptable. What isn't acceptable is saying Quendi's well written, thought out posts are unreadable because they're too long.

I'm sorry you don't have the ability to read the longer posts, because they're rather good. Are you going to drop out of the RP? Sorry if I don't seem sympathetic, it's hard to be civil to someone when they're being obtuse.

In fact, the message you've copied perfectly sums up this view. I am opposed to stagnation and regression, which shorter posts (i.e, two liners) seem to cause. Have your messages as long or as short as you like, so long as they contribute something meaningful to the RP. But don't complain if you can't read a well written, thought out, grammatically correct, correctly spelled post.
Last edited by Pawn and King on Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Mon Dec 24, 2012 12:29 pm

Pawn and King wrote:Sorry if I don't seem sympathetic, it's hard to be civil to someone when they're being obtuse.

Not insulting people at every turn is a good first step.

Pawn and King
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Pawn and King » Mon Dec 24, 2012 3:35 pm

Jormengand wrote:
Pawn and King wrote:Sorry if I don't seem sympathetic, it's hard to be civil to someone when they're being obtuse.

Not insulting people at every turn is a good first step.

Apologies, but watch your tone too. Perhaps you don't intend to be, but you're coming across as somewhat incendiary. I think others would agree there is perhaps a hint of something in your posts.

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Wed Dec 26, 2012 12:22 pm

Kishrael wrote:
(Image)
Ujadevor, Kingdom of the Chigirtka, The Imperial Palace

Emir Xudo Biljhodu I, usually known as Xudo to his friends sat at the window of his palace. It was a stone structure, with cylindrical turrets at 4 points. It stood on the east side of Ujadevor, its eastern flank making up a portion of the eastern wall around the city. Ujadevor was the only large settlement for miles around, many of the Chigirtka choosing to live in quaint mobile villages which could be destroyed in minutes before the inhabitants took off in the face of an attack. The sky outside was bright, the sun shining in the glass window. Xudo looked up, over the eastern wall and into the barren landscape around. The small shrubs rustling gently betrayed the small breeze outside.

He strolled out of the room and into a lavish hall, hunting scenes adorning the walls, and fine material from the east covered the floor. Servants hurried about their business, giving a deep bow when he came in sight before carrying on with their work. He turned a left corner and down some stone steps, before continuing down the steps in a jog. From the steps, there were two exits, one to the courtyard, filled with beautiful plants and one to another hall. He stepped outside the sun defining his powerful features. A bench, ornate in decoration, but comfortable due to the soft cushioning on it. He sat down on the bench, thinking about the Kingdom that he'd helped secure. The blood he'd spilt of the Zoroasters, all in the name of his country and Allah, Was it worth it? No, I must erase such thoughts from my mind, I have done the right thing for my country.

A servant hurried towards him, the footsteps shattering his reverie. "What is it Axborot?" Xudo snapped irritatedly. "I'm sorry to disturb you Emir Xudo Biljhodu, but I have received news from the north and south. We are getting reports that the Caliph of the Great Caliphate is having talks with the Pope, we believe they are talking of an alliance." The servant, Axborot, Xudo's chief informer, but still a slave stepped back.
"And what, it'll bring peace, a world peace I'd go as far to say." Xudo replied, seemingly shaking off the concerned tone of Axborot's original message.
"Yes, sir, between Muslims and Christians, however reports from the north say that there is a chance that Christian and Islamic arms will be turned against Pagans, namely, the Variags and Caucasians. If that is so, the Caliph will insist on your assistance in the destruction of these nations. We would be plunged deep into war on two fronts, our lands are closest to these people, we will bare the brunt, or so I envision." He bowed his head, finished.
"Well keep your visions to yourself, we do not need you upsetting the harmony of the Kingdom with your wild prophecies... Dispatch a messenger to the Variags, make sure they understand that we will not side against them if the arms of Christendom and Islam were turned against them, go now."

A lone rider, equipped only with a scroll, a quiver of arrows and a bow cantered out of the gates near sunset, winding between the few travellers on the sandy road leading north...

So will you be making a post of the messenger doing stuff or should I just in my next post RP Baghatur and Ûvatha having received the message and preparing their response?
Nation RP name

Kishrael
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Kishrael » Wed Dec 26, 2012 1:47 pm

Of the Quendi wrote:So will you be making a post of the messenger doing stuff or should I just in my next post RP Baghatur and Ûvatha having received the message and preparing their response?

I wasn't sure to be honest, what would you prefer me to do, as you are the recipient of the message?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents