NATION

PASSWORD

Medieval RP - Feudal Lords OOC (CLOSED)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In-character]
User avatar
Of the Quendi
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 12360
Founded: Mar 18, 2010
Anarchy

Postby Of the Quendi » Thu Dec 20, 2012 7:25 am

New Babylonia wrote:
Of the Quendi wrote:Very nice factbook, really excellent. Your religion looks very interesting and I can definitely see it gain a foothold in the Khaganate maybe even “winning” the Faravar Hogisë of the Variags and becoming state religion. Where did you think of the names?

One thing you may want to rethink is paper money. However advanced your empire is that is something that, in Europe and the Middle East, is more of a renaissance or late medieval thing.



Still, one problem. Your religion. As i've seen stated a couple times, it may be the reason your'e not accepted. SImply because there's too many christians and pagans.

What are you talking about? He has been accepted.
Nation RP name
Arda i Eruhíni (short form)
Alcarinqua ar Meneldëa Arda i Eruhíni i sé Amanaranyë ar Aramanaranyë (long form)

User avatar
Pawn and King
Diplomat
 
Posts: 580
Founded: Jan 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pawn and King » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:33 am

The Aaronian Empire wrote:Is the map on the original post the one we are using in the IC?


No, it's somewhere on page 16, I think. I really should update this stuff.

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:
Pawn and King wrote:
Obviously you've never RP'd in NS Sports...

That's what I was going for here - in NS Sports, the outcome is decided by formula, and then the players RP how it went, one already certain of victory, and the other of losing. It's a good system, as it prevents bitterness, godmodding, and soreness, as well as allows characters to gain skill naturally (i.e, if there's a group of 4, and your character loses 2 games, his stats will be changed accordingly).

It's very useful in that regard - establishing a league table, or in our case, a natural hierarchy of military domination, without, as has been said, people getting upset halfway through that they seem to be losing, and suddenly claim they're approached by mercenary warlords with 10,000 men each who will help them for free, or whatever.


No I haven't.....and I don't think I like your tone..::draws blade:: :eyebrow:

Lol anyway I think that's good, but I think your formula leaves much to be desired in terms of RP. This is going to require massive participation in an IRC, and cooperation. Everyone needs to leave their low hangers at the door, and agree the scope of the story is more important than if your nation wins or loses.


You're supposed to RP around the formula. If the formula says X won, with a massive victory, you RP your tactics to fit it, or if it says X won with massive losses, again, tactics are fixed to fit it. Otherwise, what'll happen now, is everyone will RP with perfect tactics all the time to try and keep their fatalities as low as possible.

But we'll see how it goes.

New Babylonia wrote:
Of the Quendi wrote:Very nice factbook, really excellent. Your religion looks very interesting and I can definitely see it gain a foothold in the Khaganate maybe even “winning” the Faravar Hogisë of the Variags and becoming state religion. Where did you think of the names?

One thing you may want to rethink is paper money. However advanced your empire is that is something that, in Europe and the Middle East, is more of a renaissance or late medieval thing.



Still, one problem. Your religion. As i've seen stated a couple times, it may be the reason your'e not accepted. SImply because there's too many christians and pagans.


Euski was accepted around page 4. He's just been on a cruise.
Need an Assassination done? Look no further...

User avatar
Jormengand
Powerbroker
 
Posts: 7780
Founded: May 22, 2010
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Jormengand » Thu Dec 20, 2012 9:36 am

Pawn and King wrote:You're supposed to RP around the formula. If the formula says X won, with a massive victory, you RP your tactics to fit it, or if it says X won with massive losses, again, tactics are fixed to fit it. Otherwise, what'll happen now, is everyone will RP with perfect tactics all the time to try and keep their fatalities as low as possible.

But we'll see how it goes.

The trouble is, your formula sucks. All it takes into account is numbers and the leader. Thus, Pedro and a massive horde of the shittest soldiers in history will win any battle. Also, pre-determined roleplaying is worst roleplaying.
Witty signature title
Comment about the latest fashion about forum sigs
List of unhelpful information, including sexuality and gender but not physical sex, mental illnesses that no-one will believe you have, political beliefs that you think you hold
Political compass made by a random online generator, or your own personal power of "it looks right"
List of quotations which are generally degrading to some group, unsupported by evidence and generally aggravating


OR
A line stating that you're too cool/meta/non-mainstream to have a sig.

User avatar
Tarsonis Survivors
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5838
Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:02 am

Jormengand wrote:
Pawn and King wrote:You're supposed to RP around the formula. If the formula says X won, with a massive victory, you RP your tactics to fit it, or if it says X won with massive losses, again, tactics are fixed to fit it. Otherwise, what'll happen now, is everyone will RP with perfect tactics all the time to try and keep their fatalities as low as possible.

But we'll see how it goes.

The trouble is, your formula sucks. All it takes into account is numbers and the leader. Thus, Pedro and a massive horde of the shittest soldiers in history will win any battle. Also, pre-determined roleplaying is worst roleplaying.



I agree with the formula bit. As for the pre determined part don't think that's fair. Personally, I think an Rp with predetermined results works prerty well. Most Rp's start with an already clear goal in mind, the leeway and creativity. Comes from developing the pre-established goal. The best Rp's I've done, the thread itself is just the tip of the iceburg. Underneath there's hours of coordination , debates and planning.
Factbook What every debate on NSG feels like.
http://xkcd.com/386/
"A simple layman armed with scripture, is greater than the mightiest pope without it" - Martin Luther.
"If I see farther, it is because I stand on the shoulders of giants."- Isaac Newton.
"There's no such thing as a stupid question,... until you ask it." - Doug Walker
I LOVE STELLA ARTOIS

Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation,
and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Economic Left/Right: -1.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.36

User avatar
Euskirribakondara
Minister
 
Posts: 3196
Founded: Jul 28, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Euskirribakondara » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:34 am

Annaliea wrote:Sorry, it was quite a few pages ago so I didn't see it. If you want me to revise anything in my application I'm sure that would be fine. (As long as it's not major)


Oh, okay, no problem. As I said, it was just "a bit rude", not a major thing. In my factbook I've already added you somehow... Here:

The period from the XV century BC, and the V century BC was marked by several city states in the whole area, competing for their own peace. The Byzantine Empire began, and it had friendly relations with the city-states of the Caucasian Highlands.

The Byzantine Empire was defeated by the Armenian Empire around the year 99 BC, but then it was allowed to break off as another entity, in the year 96 BC, paying some tributes and small taxes. The Byzantines finally began to settle down, improving and extending the quality of life in the Empire, right in the central part of Anatolia, west of the Armenian Empire, which at one point, leaded by Tigranes the Great (95-55 BC), controlled all the lands between the Caucasian Mountains and Egypt, and the Mediterranean Sea and the Caspian Sea (about 3,000,000 km2).


As for the rest, I guess there's no other thing to add.
Euskirribakondara, the land of a thousand different lands
Political Compass: -7.38 (EC), -6.21 (SO) - WHF website - WHF13 winning entry
#4: 3rd
#5: 6th
#6: 1st
#7: 1st
#8: 2nd
#9: 1st
#10: 2nd
#11: 1st
#12: 4th
#13: 1st
#14: ???
#19: 4th, 98 pts
#20: 5th, 83 pts
#21: 7th, 77 pts
#22: 9th, 73 pts
#23: Withdrew
#24: Boycotted
#26: Withdrew
#33: ???

User avatar
Kishrael
Diplomat
 
Posts: 736
Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kishrael » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:41 am

Eusk, there was no Byzantine Empire in 99BC, not even a Roman Empire. And if Armenia was to just 'conquer' the (I assume) Roman Empire, they would've had to go through Pontus, Sophene, Cappadocia, Bithynia, Galatia etc.

I also think if we're to use RL people, ie. Tigranes the Great, their RL achievements should be used, rather than making new ones up.
As Phoenigetuzstha
WV20: 6th (75 points)
WV21: 9th (72 points)
WV22: 4th (135 points)
WV23: 10th (76 points)
WV24: 9th (74 points)
~
As Kishrael
WV25: 8th (82 points)
WV26: 3rd (132 points)
WV27: 1st (138 points)
WV28: 1st (124 points)
WV29: 3rd (111 points)
WV30: 12th (66 points)
WV31: 6th (80 points)
WV32: 2nd (154 points)
Formerly Phoenigetuzstha

User avatar
Euskirribakondara
Minister
 
Posts: 3196
Founded: Jul 28, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Euskirribakondara » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:44 am

Of the Quendi wrote:Very nice factbook, really excellent. Your religion looks very interesting and I can definitely see it gain a foothold in the Khaganate maybe even “winning” the Faravar Hogisë of the Variags and becoming state religion. Where did you think of the names?

One thing you may want to rethink is paper money. However advanced your empire is that is something that, in Europe and the Middle East, is more of a renaissance or late medieval thing.


Yay! Go Midaranism!!! The names have different "sources":
----> As for "Faravar", that's one of the names for the symbol of Zoroastrianism.
----> The words "Hogisë, Astertanerë, Ghamert'i, Suliskveba, Pashtulë, Masinsinë, Tundigirk', Luvati, Yeklets'i, Zuyinturdi, Gorestsashal (Gortsalebihaqva Simart'yun Es Tsarozut'yun u Shal)" are translations of their meanings to Kavkazian, the language I created for my nation, a blend of Georgian and Armenian, with bits of Greek, Azerbaijani, Turkish and Arabic.
----> "Aramaz" is the contraction of Ahura Mazda, the 'good' spirit of Zoroastrianism. I also made it look Kavkazian (which means, Armeno-Georgian).
----> "Luzin" is a deformation of the Modern Armenian word for Moon, which is 'Lusin' (or something like it).
----> "Yavlah" is actually a blend of the names Yahveh and Allah, but then again, I made it look Kavkazian.
----> And the names of the spirits (Lavor, Sevan, Tagir, Bat'ami, Kvalop and Aragat) are inspired in places/towns of RL Georgia and Armenia.
----> "Meshik" would be the Kavkazian form of the word Messiah, taking into account its Hebrew pronunciation.
----> And lastly, "Mebelgarok" is the combination of "Mebehlmok" and "Ragnarok", the words for 'END OF THE WORLD' in Atlantean and Old Norse.


Oh, and about the paper money, it is not paper money. It is a bank note. A note that says "he who owns this note, owns 300 gold coins in the Bank of [insertnamehere]". A system in use in China since the 7th century AD, which evolved from the need of merchants to get rid off heavy bulks of coins. I think having it three centuries later in the Caucasus, the other end of the Silk Road, would not be -that- crazy.
Euskirribakondara, the land of a thousand different lands
Political Compass: -7.38 (EC), -6.21 (SO) - WHF website - WHF13 winning entry
#4: 3rd
#5: 6th
#6: 1st
#7: 1st
#8: 2nd
#9: 1st
#10: 2nd
#11: 1st
#12: 4th
#13: 1st
#14: ???
#19: 4th, 98 pts
#20: 5th, 83 pts
#21: 7th, 77 pts
#22: 9th, 73 pts
#23: Withdrew
#24: Boycotted
#26: Withdrew
#33: ???

User avatar
Euskirribakondara
Minister
 
Posts: 3196
Founded: Jul 28, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Euskirribakondara » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:45 am

Kishrael wrote:Eusk, there was no Byzantine Empire in 99BC, not even a Roman Empire. And if Armenia was to just 'conquer' the (I assume) Roman Empire, they would've had to go through Pontus, Sophene, Cappadocia, Bithynia, Galatia etc.

I also think if we're to use RL people, ie. Tigranes the Great, their RL achievements should be used, rather than making new ones up.


Of course there wasn't. But this is ALTERNATE HISTORY... Not the original one. Although it is heavily based on the latter. But in fact, what I wrote (and what you're criticizing) is actually what Annaliea created as history for his/her nation.

I'm just working together :)

And about Tigranes, that was actually HIS RL ACHIEVEMENT. And on the other hand, Tigranes is just a name... Like Hayk, Avet, Aram, etc.
Last edited by Euskirribakondara on Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Euskirribakondara, the land of a thousand different lands
Political Compass: -7.38 (EC), -6.21 (SO) - WHF website - WHF13 winning entry
#4: 3rd
#5: 6th
#6: 1st
#7: 1st
#8: 2nd
#9: 1st
#10: 2nd
#11: 1st
#12: 4th
#13: 1st
#14: ???
#19: 4th, 98 pts
#20: 5th, 83 pts
#21: 7th, 77 pts
#22: 9th, 73 pts
#23: Withdrew
#24: Boycotted
#26: Withdrew
#33: ???

User avatar
Euskirribakondara
Minister
 
Posts: 3196
Founded: Jul 28, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Euskirribakondara » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:48 am

Pawn and King wrote:Euski was accepted around page 4. He's just been on a cruise.


So... How would you classify my military and economic bonuses? What would be the name for them? What will we use in the IC game?
Euskirribakondara, the land of a thousand different lands
Political Compass: -7.38 (EC), -6.21 (SO) - WHF website - WHF13 winning entry
#4: 3rd
#5: 6th
#6: 1st
#7: 1st
#8: 2nd
#9: 1st
#10: 2nd
#11: 1st
#12: 4th
#13: 1st
#14: ???
#19: 4th, 98 pts
#20: 5th, 83 pts
#21: 7th, 77 pts
#22: 9th, 73 pts
#23: Withdrew
#24: Boycotted
#26: Withdrew
#33: ???

User avatar
Kishrael
Diplomat
 
Posts: 736
Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kishrael » Thu Dec 20, 2012 11:52 am

He most certainly didn't own the land up to Egypt, I can tell you. Tigranes' Kingdom reached a peak during the 3rd Mithridatic War sat which time he owned as south as Damascus, that's quite far away. This wasn't for very long either, Rome invaded Armenia and he was drove back to the original Artaxid Kingdom.
As Phoenigetuzstha
WV20: 6th (75 points)
WV21: 9th (72 points)
WV22: 4th (135 points)
WV23: 10th (76 points)
WV24: 9th (74 points)
~
As Kishrael
WV25: 8th (82 points)
WV26: 3rd (132 points)
WV27: 1st (138 points)
WV28: 1st (124 points)
WV29: 3rd (111 points)
WV30: 12th (66 points)
WV31: 6th (80 points)
WV32: 2nd (154 points)
Formerly Phoenigetuzstha

User avatar
Annaliea
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 500
Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Annaliea » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:01 pm

Of course it all depends on whether I'm accepted or not for this alternate history to work, Pawn?

User avatar
Euskirribakondara
Minister
 
Posts: 3196
Founded: Jul 28, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Euskirribakondara » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:03 pm

Kishrael wrote:He most certainly didn't own the land up to Egypt, I can tell you. Tigranes' Kingdom reached a peak during the 3rd Mithridatic War sat which time he owned as south as Damascus, that's quite far away. This wasn't for very long either, Rome invaded Armenia and he was drove back to the original Artaxid Kingdom.


Actually he did. By Egypt I mean what Egypt was at the time, which goes up to the place that we call now Cyprus. Also, the Levant had a shifting influence between the Seleucid Empire and the Ptolemaic dynasty and so on. So yes, it did go. I cannot scan the map of my Caucasian History Book, but (and excuse me for using WIkipedia) this one is about right: clickey!.

Exactly. It wasn't for too long. But it was. And I did modify the end, because I need no Artaxid Kingdom in my storyline. Otherwise, I could not have the Kavkazian Kingdom.

That's the thing with Alternate History: if you'll modify something, you need to modify what goes back as well. Else, I'd be in the need of RPing the Bagratid Dynasty of Armenia OR the Bagratid Dynasty of Georgia; and several city states, and even the growing Barony of Cilician Armenia. Which would be of no use, here.

EDIT: If we were going by real history, where can you proof the existence of the Chigirtk?
How weren't they influenced by Hellenism if they lived in the Caspian Sea?
How did they become Buddhist so early?
Huh? Huh?
;)
Last edited by Euskirribakondara on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:09 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Euskirribakondara, the land of a thousand different lands
Political Compass: -7.38 (EC), -6.21 (SO) - WHF website - WHF13 winning entry
#4: 3rd
#5: 6th
#6: 1st
#7: 1st
#8: 2nd
#9: 1st
#10: 2nd
#11: 1st
#12: 4th
#13: 1st
#14: ???
#19: 4th, 98 pts
#20: 5th, 83 pts
#21: 7th, 77 pts
#22: 9th, 73 pts
#23: Withdrew
#24: Boycotted
#26: Withdrew
#33: ???

User avatar
Kishrael
Diplomat
 
Posts: 736
Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kishrael » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:11 pm

Euskirribakondara wrote:
Kishrael wrote:He most certainly didn't own the land up to Egypt, I can tell you. Tigranes' Kingdom reached a peak during the 3rd Mithridatic War sat which time he owned as south as Damascus, that's quite far away. This wasn't for very long either, Rome invaded Armenia and he was drove back to the original Artaxid Kingdom.


Actually he did. By Egypt I mean what Egypt was at the time, which goes up to the place that we call now Cyprus. Also, the Levant had a shifting influence between the Seleucid Empire and the Ptolemaic dynasty and so on. So yes, it did go. I cannot scan the map of my Caucasian History Book, but (and excuse me for using WIkipedia) this one is about right: clickey!.



By the end of the Third Mithridatic War, Cyprus was Roman, and the Ptolemy's owned only Egypt, having Seleucid Syria, and the Jewish Kingdoms in the way. Even in the First Mithridatic war, Egypt had no control over the Levant. The shifting influences of Seleucid and Ptolemaic control over the Levant was in the 3rd and 2nd Centuries BC, and as both were weakened, they turned to different matters.

And to respond to your edit:

1) Many tribes from the east migrated west during the Dark Ages, the Chigirtka were one of them.
2) They were not influenced by Hellenism because they came under Sassanian influence. The Caspian sea wasn't particularly Hellenistic, only the western side of it was. Hellenism was pretty much dead in the region by the 6th Century anyway.
3) They came from the east, Buddhism was a large religion by the 4th Century BC in and around Nepal, India Tibet etc.
Last edited by Kishrael on Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:24 pm, edited 2 times in total.
As Phoenigetuzstha
WV20: 6th (75 points)
WV21: 9th (72 points)
WV22: 4th (135 points)
WV23: 10th (76 points)
WV24: 9th (74 points)
~
As Kishrael
WV25: 8th (82 points)
WV26: 3rd (132 points)
WV27: 1st (138 points)
WV28: 1st (124 points)
WV29: 3rd (111 points)
WV30: 12th (66 points)
WV31: 6th (80 points)
WV32: 2nd (154 points)
Formerly Phoenigetuzstha

User avatar
Pavlostani
Senator
 
Posts: 4387
Founded: Jun 09, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Pavlostani » Thu Dec 20, 2012 12:54 pm

Plus he's going for territory I claimed.
Last edited by Pavlostani on Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:21 am, edited 2,742,950,128,932 times in total

Legalize Tenor Clef, Impeach Violins, Wolftones are Theft. Cello 2016.
I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.
Economic Left/Right: -7.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.67
Hey, I'm like Gandhi, but more extreme.

User avatar
Euskirribakondara
Minister
 
Posts: 3196
Founded: Jul 28, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Euskirribakondara » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:06 pm

Kishrael wrote:
Euskirribakondara wrote:
Actually he did. By Egypt I mean what Egypt was at the time, which goes up to the place that we call now Cyprus. Also, the Levant had a shifting influence between the Seleucid Empire and the Ptolemaic dynasty and so on. So yes, it did go. I cannot scan the map of my Caucasian History Book, but (and excuse me for using WIkipedia) this one is about right: clickey!.



By the end of the Third Mithridatic War, Cyprus was Roman, and the Ptolemy's owned only Egypt, having Seleucid Syria, and the Jewish Kingdoms in the way. Even in the First Mithridatic war, Egypt had no control over the Levant. The shifting influences of Seleucid and Ptolemaic control over the Levant was in the 3rd and 2nd Centuries BC, and as both were weakened, they turned to different matters.

And to respond to your edit:

1) Many tribes from the east migrated west during the Dark Ages, the Chigirtka were one of them.
2) They were not influenced by Hellenism because they came under Sassanian influence. The Caspian sea wasn't particularly Hellenistic, only the western side of it was. Hellenism was pretty much dead in the region by the 6th Century anyway.
3) They came from the east, Buddhism was a large religion by the 4th Century BC in and around Nepal, India Tibet etc.


Hey, didn't know that bit about Cyprus. But anyway, I don't know why should we keep talking about that now. If you want I'll correct the post; though history nazis are not meant for alternate history RPing.... Just saying.

And to reply the last bit.

1) Of course there were migrations, but I had never heard of the Chigirtka. Can you provide a source?
2) Sorry there. Beg your pardon? Hellenism was quite extended over Central Asia! Your definition of Hellenism in this zone is a bit inaccurate then. And well, 6th century is a bit far away from the Hellenic Golden Age... Yet some traces must remain in your civilization, if we're going by RL history, which you apparently pretend.
3) Exactly. But aren't the Chigirtka (as you posed them) a tribe coming from Mongolia? What happened to Tengri's Cult?
Euskirribakondara, the land of a thousand different lands
Political Compass: -7.38 (EC), -6.21 (SO) - WHF website - WHF13 winning entry
#4: 3rd
#5: 6th
#6: 1st
#7: 1st
#8: 2nd
#9: 1st
#10: 2nd
#11: 1st
#12: 4th
#13: 1st
#14: ???
#19: 4th, 98 pts
#20: 5th, 83 pts
#21: 7th, 77 pts
#22: 9th, 73 pts
#23: Withdrew
#24: Boycotted
#26: Withdrew
#33: ???

User avatar
Euskirribakondara
Minister
 
Posts: 3196
Founded: Jul 28, 2011
New York Times Democracy

Postby Euskirribakondara » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:07 pm

Pavlostani wrote:Plus he's going for territory I claimed.


In fact, you came after Kish, the Byzantine Empire, of the Quendi and I applied. As such, I don't see why you should be allowed a place in the Aral Sea. That would conflict with what we've already built.

How about moving to the rocky Afghanistan or the lovely Iran?
Euskirribakondara, the land of a thousand different lands
Political Compass: -7.38 (EC), -6.21 (SO) - WHF website - WHF13 winning entry
#4: 3rd
#5: 6th
#6: 1st
#7: 1st
#8: 2nd
#9: 1st
#10: 2nd
#11: 1st
#12: 4th
#13: 1st
#14: ???
#19: 4th, 98 pts
#20: 5th, 83 pts
#21: 7th, 77 pts
#22: 9th, 73 pts
#23: Withdrew
#24: Boycotted
#26: Withdrew
#33: ???

User avatar
The Holy Dominion of Inesea
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10877
Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Dominion of Inesea » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:15 pm

Name of territory: Caliphate of Galician Iberia
Name of leader: Councilman Formbi
Heraldry: Dual Crescent
Which religion do your people follow (Christianity/Islam/Paganism): Islam
Which role do you wish to be (King/Shah/Sultan, Duke/Mirza, Earl/Nawab, Baron/Baig): Nawab Formbi
(Note, if you have chosen 'Paganism' as your religion, you may use any title you wish, so long as you indicate its equivalent.)
Where would you like to be placed (for example, Central France/Egypt and surrounding regions/Kievan Rus'): Northern Iberia(Spain) centered around Galicia
Can you provide a link to two other RPs you've been in?:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=199717
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=211041
Bio of your leader (paragraph): Nawab Forbi was born in the year 1010 AD to the new ruler of the Caliph of Galicia , Baig Mulsumar IV. He grew up in the capital of Galicia where he attended the university at age 18. There he studied Religion, Politics, Economics, and Military Tactics. He was a successful student, and actually made friends with several Christian, Jewish, and Muslim students. They would often debate the tenants of their religions, and over the years Formbi became very lenient and accepting to other People of the Book. Upon graduating from the college at 24, he was granted rule over the province Ourense. There he initiated several large undertakings, such as the construction of several mosques and funded several schools to be formed. This he paid for out of his own pocket, which was filled with gold from his own business in poultry and dairy raising. He continued to rule Ourense until he was 35, at which time his father died, leaving Formbi to inherit the Caliph. Upon assuming the throne, Formbi rapidly expanded the Caliph, conquering the nearby areas with his armies of Janisseries and Knights.
Bio of your civilization (2 - 3 paragraphs)

The Caliph was formed in the year 1001 AD. After the conquest of Spain by the Moors in the early 800's, the country was divided into three regions they were Grenada in the South, Madrid in the central parts and Barcelona in the northern parts. Each region was ruled by a Sultan with an Iron fist, who imprisoned many Christians and Jews. they were forced into camps and were brutally treated. After 150 years of this, the sole remaining Christian kingdom of Pomplona launched a devastating counter strike across the whole northern half of the country. They retook all of the northern half before the Muslim Sultans rallied and pushed them back. One of the key leaders in the Moors counter-counter- attack was a General named Mulsumar IV. For his actions in the war, the Sultans awarded him the title Baig and granted him control over the North-Western portion of the country. There he formed the Caliph of Galicia.

Formed around the city of Galicia, the Caliph included Ourense, Lugo and several other territories. The Caliph was tolerant of all religions of the Book, but Islam was still the dominant religion. After Formbi's ascension to the throne, the Caliph expanded into the nearby Kingdom of Pomplona, where after several bloody battles, Formbi prevailed. He was however very lenient towards the conquered. Local communities could keep their old traditions and he did not impose many new laws. In fact, he appointed several Christian's as advisers and generals to him. The Caliph is under the nominal control of the Sultans, however, the Sultans can barely control their own lands and the Caliph is in all essence a independent country.

The military of the Caliph is centered around Calvary. The Caliph employs Christian Heavy Knights and Moorish light Calvary Archers to fight. they prefer flat areas to fight.-Military Bonus

The economy of the Caliph is based on fishing. The art of fishing is very important and the Caliph's fishers are among he best in the world. From their boats to techniques, the fishermen are the lifeblood of the Caliph.- Economic Bonus

Map-
http://imgur.com/gammY
I am a survivor of the American Abortion Holocaust

User avatar
Pavlostani
Senator
 
Posts: 4387
Founded: Jun 09, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Pavlostani » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:34 pm

Name of territory: Pavlostani Empire
Name of leader: Emperor Pavel the Great
Heraldry: Unfinished pyramid
Which religion do your people follow (Christianity/Islam/Paganism): Paganism
Which role do you wish to be (King/Shah/Sultan, Duke/Mirza, Earl/Nawab, Baron/Baig): Tovarisch (Earl) Mirov
Where would you like to be placed (for example, Central France/Egypt and surrounding regions/Kievan Rus'): North of the Black Sea.
Can you provide a link to two other RPs you've been in?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=199717
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=211041
Bio of your leader (paragraph):
Pavel was born during the turmoil of the Second Pavlostani Civil War. At the age of sixteen, he ascended to the throne when his father, Pavel XXIV was assassinated. Pavel won the PCW, and began an expansionist campaign into surrounding regions. Pavel was famous for riding in the front lines, with his sword, Headreaver, in his hand. When Pavel was twenty-one, he married Countess Julia Haynes, in order to end the trade war between the regions of Glouston and Chadwick. Pavel left the battlefield when he was thirty, and began directing the nation from afar. At the age of forty, Pavel pardoned the son of Viscount Pickering, who's father led the Second Pavlostani Civil War. Despite criticism of authoritarianism, Pavel became popular among the peasants and serfs of the nation, due to lightly taxing them, while imposing much heavier taxes on the nobles. In modern times, Pavel lives in Castle Pavlostani with Countess Haynes, Archduke Buckley and Chancellor Wheaton, who make up his three most trusted advisors.

Bio of your civilization (2 - 3 paragraphs)
In 300 CE, a group of Slavic tribes banded together for protection. This tribal alliance grew more powerful as their combined efforts dominated the local tribes. In 398 CE, they fractured into several warring states. One of these states, Pavlostani, produced a brilliant leader named Pavel. Pavel began to conquer surrounding tribes with ruthless efficiency. His tactics involved heavily coordinated knights combined with light cavalry and foot soldiers created a combination that the tribes could not combat. IN 451 CE, all of the tribes were united under the Pavlostani flag. Pavel created the Pavlostani Empire, and declared himself the first emperor.

In the mid 700s, the Pavlostani Empire flourished. Their proximity to the Black Sea provided a steady source of fish, which became the primary source of food in the nation. The Empire began exporting fish in droves. Unfortunately, this was too successful and the Black Sea was underpopulated for several years. This lead to the Great Pavlostani Famine, which killed %10 of the Pavlostani Population. At the end of the famine, the Great Pavlostani Civil War occurred as several territories broke away from the Empire. Emperor Pavel XVII led the forces to retake the territories. It was the deadliest war in Pavlostani history.

As modern times approached, Emperor Pavel XXIV, also known as Pavel the Wise began to give rights back to the peasants and serfs who worked under the Tovarischi and Druzya (Earls and Counts). The peasants, in thanks built a statue to Pavel the Wise in Castle Pavlostani in the capitol city of Togia. The commoners paid a light tax to the government, while the nobles found themselves burdened with a heavier tax. Most of them just grumbled and payed. However, Viscount Pickering seceded from the Empire, and several other nobles joined him, starting the Second Pavostani Civil War. However, most peasants sided with the loyalists and the nobles were quickly defeated.Then Pavel XXV came into power. He has been referred to as Pavel the Great for his bold expansionism. However, by this point in time, the Pavlostani Empire is in a state of decline. Despite expansion, it is losing territory just as fast. It's economy has imploded as a second famine threatens to rock the land. And now the Church of Nyphron is doubting the government and has assembled its own ecclesiastical army, the Seret Guard.
Last edited by Pavlostani on Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:52 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Last edited by Pavlostani on Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:21 am, edited 2,742,950,128,932 times in total

Legalize Tenor Clef, Impeach Violins, Wolftones are Theft. Cello 2016.
I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.
Economic Left/Right: -7.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.67
Hey, I'm like Gandhi, but more extreme.

User avatar
Kishrael
Diplomat
 
Posts: 736
Founded: Nov 23, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Kishrael » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:39 pm

Euskirribakondara wrote:
1) Of course there were migrations, but I had never heard of the Chigirtka. Can you provide a source?
2) Sorry there. Beg your pardon? Hellenism was quite extended over Central Asia! Your definition of Hellenism in this zone is a bit inaccurate then. And well, 6th century is a bit far away from the Hellenic Golden Age... Yet some traces must remain in your civilization, if we're going by RL history, which you apparently pretend.
3) Exactly. But aren't the Chigirtka (as you posed them) a tribe coming from Mongolia? What happened to Tengri's Cult?


1) No, no :). They're not real, but in this Alternative History RP, that is were they'd be from.
2) Hellenism (in its actual Greek from) hadn't been in the region for a long time. Admittedly, the lingua franca in the east was Greek, however it wasn't directly Hellenistic. Another point: many of the eastern tribes didn't adopt Hellenistic culture when they settled in Hellenistic areas, let alone ones that weren't particularly Greek.
3) I believe I made my app first, so I don't feel the need to conform.
As Phoenigetuzstha
WV20: 6th (75 points)
WV21: 9th (72 points)
WV22: 4th (135 points)
WV23: 10th (76 points)
WV24: 9th (74 points)
~
As Kishrael
WV25: 8th (82 points)
WV26: 3rd (132 points)
WV27: 1st (138 points)
WV28: 1st (124 points)
WV29: 3rd (111 points)
WV30: 12th (66 points)
WV31: 6th (80 points)
WV32: 2nd (154 points)
Formerly Phoenigetuzstha

User avatar
Annaliea
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 500
Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Annaliea » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:42 pm

Pavlostani wrote:Name of territory: Pavlostani Empire
Name of leader: Emperor Pavel the Great
Heraldry: Unfinished pyramid
Which religion do your people follow (Christianity/Islam/Paganism): Paganism
Which role do you wish to be (King/Shah/Sultan, Duke/Mirza, Earl/Nawab, Baron/Baig): Tovarisch (Earl) Mirov
Where would you like to be placed (for example, Central France/Egypt and surrounding regions/Kievan Rus'): North of the Black Sea.
Can you provide a link to two other RPs you've been in?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=199717
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=211041
Bio of your leader (paragraph):
Pavel was born during the turmoil of the Second Pavlostani Civil War. At the age of sixteen, he ascended to the throne when his father, Pavel XXIV was assassinated. Pavel won the PCW, and began an expansionist campaign into surrounding regions. Pavel was famous for riding in the front lines, with his sword, Headreaver, in his hand. When Pavel was twenty-one, he married Countess Julia Haynes, in order to end the trade war between the regions of Glouston and Chadwick. Pavel left the battlefield when he was thirty, and began directing the nation from afar. At the age of forty, Pavel had stripped the Pavlostani Parliament of their power. Despite criticism of authoritarianism, Pavel became popular among the peasants and serfs of the nation, due to lightly taxing them, while imposing much heavier taxes on the nobles. In modern times, Pavel lives in Castle Pavlostani with Countess Haynes, Archduke Buckley and Chancellor Wheaton, who make up his three most trusted advisors.

Bio of your civilization (2 - 3 paragraphs)
In 300 CE, a group of Slavic tribes banded together for protection. This tribal alliance grew more powerful as their combined efforts dominated the local tribes. In 398 CE, they fractured into several warring states. One of these states, Pavlostani, produced a brilliant leader named Pavel. Pavel began to conquer surrounding tribes with ruthless efficiency. His tactics involved heavily coordinated knights combined with light cavalry and foot soldiers created a combination that the tribes could not combat. IN 451 CE, all of the tribes were united under the Pavlostani flag. Pavel created the Pavlostani Empire, and declared himself the first emperor.

In the mid 700s, the Pavlostani Empire flourished. Their proximity to the Black Sea provided a steady source of fish, which became a major industry in the nation. The government began to commission "Super Fishing Boats" to more efficiently fish the sea. Unfortunately, this was too successful and the Black Sea was underpopulated for several years. This lead to the Great Pavlostani Famine, which killed %10 of the Pavlostani Population. At the end of the famine, the Great Pavlostani Civil War occurred as several territories broke away from the Empire. Emperor Pavel XVII led the forces to retake the territories. It was the deadliest war in Pavlostani history.

As modern times approached, Emperor Pavel XXIV, also known as Pavel the Wise began to give rights back to the peasants and serfs who worked under the Tovarischi and Druzya (Earls and Counts). The peasants, in thanks built a statue to Pavel the Wise in Castle Pavlostani in the capitol city of Togia. The commoners paid a light tax to the government, while the nobles found themselves burdened with a heavier tax. Most of them just grumbled and payed. However, Viscount Pickering seceded from the Empire, and several other nobles joined him, starting the Second Pavostani Civil War. However, most peasants sided with the loyalists and the nobles were quickly defeated.Then Pavel XXV came into power. He has been referred to as Pavel the Great for his bold expansionism. However, by this point in time, the Pavlostani Empire is in a state of decline. Despite expansion, it is losing territory just as fast. It's economy has imploded as a second famine threatens to rock the land. And now the Church of Nyphron is doubting the government and has assembled its own military, the Seret Guard.


Just one thing, this is a medieval Rp, and as such barely anyone had even thought of a government system other than absolute monarchy, so a Pavlastani Parliament is a bit too modern. This also goes in other areas of your bio where you've modernised it a bit.

User avatar
Pavlostani
Senator
 
Posts: 4387
Founded: Jun 09, 2012
Corrupt Dictatorship

Postby Pavlostani » Thu Dec 20, 2012 1:53 pm

Annaliea wrote:
Pavlostani wrote:Snip


Just one thing, this is a medieval Rp, and as such barely anyone had even thought of a government system other than absolute monarchy, so a Pavlastani Parliament is a bit too modern. This also goes in other areas of your bio where you've modernised it a bit.

Alright, I've changed it up a bit. Tell me if I should adjust anything else.
Last edited by Pavlostani on Sun Sep 15, 2013 8:21 am, edited 2,742,950,128,932 times in total

Legalize Tenor Clef, Impeach Violins, Wolftones are Theft. Cello 2016.
I gave that pitch vibrato. Pitches love vibrato.
Economic Left/Right: -7.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.67
Hey, I'm like Gandhi, but more extreme.

User avatar
Tarsonis Survivors
Negotiator
 
Posts: 5838
Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Democratic Socialists

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:37 pm

Annaliea wrote:
Pavlostani wrote:Name of territory: Pavlostani Empire
Name of leader: Emperor Pavel the Great
Heraldry: Unfinished pyramid
Which religion do your people follow (Christianity/Islam/Paganism): Paganism
Which role do you wish to be (King/Shah/Sultan, Duke/Mirza, Earl/Nawab, Baron/Baig): Tovarisch (Earl) Mirov
Where would you like to be placed (for example, Central France/Egypt and surrounding regions/Kievan Rus'): North of the Black Sea.
Can you provide a link to two other RPs you've been in?
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=199717
viewtopic.php?f=31&t=211041
Bio of your leader (paragraph):
Pavel was born during the turmoil of the Second Pavlostani Civil War. At the age of sixteen, he ascended to the throne when his father, Pavel XXIV was assassinated. Pavel won the PCW, and began an expansionist campaign into surrounding regions. Pavel was famous for riding in the front lines, with his sword, Headreaver, in his hand. When Pavel was twenty-one, he married Countess Julia Haynes, in order to end the trade war between the regions of Glouston and Chadwick. Pavel left the battlefield when he was thirty, and began directing the nation from afar. At the age of forty, Pavel had stripped the Pavlostani Parliament of their power. Despite criticism of authoritarianism, Pavel became popular among the peasants and serfs of the nation, due to lightly taxing them, while imposing much heavier taxes on the nobles. In modern times, Pavel lives in Castle Pavlostani with Countess Haynes, Archduke Buckley and Chancellor Wheaton, who make up his three most trusted advisors.

Bio of your civilization (2 - 3 paragraphs)
In 300 CE, a group of Slavic tribes banded together for protection. This tribal alliance grew more powerful as their combined efforts dominated the local tribes. In 398 CE, they fractured into several warring states. One of these states, Pavlostani, produced a brilliant leader named Pavel. Pavel began to conquer surrounding tribes with ruthless efficiency. His tactics involved heavily coordinated knights combined with light cavalry and foot soldiers created a combination that the tribes could not combat. IN 451 CE, all of the tribes were united under the Pavlostani flag. Pavel created the Pavlostani Empire, and declared himself the first emperor.

In the mid 700s, the Pavlostani Empire flourished. Their proximity to the Black Sea provided a steady source of fish, which became a major industry in the nation. The government began to commission "Super Fishing Boats" to more efficiently fish the sea. Unfortunately, this was too successful and the Black Sea was underpopulated for several years. This lead to the Great Pavlostani Famine, which killed %10 of the Pavlostani Population. At the end of the famine, the Great Pavlostani Civil War occurred as several territories broke away from the Empire. Emperor Pavel XVII led the forces to retake the territories. It was the deadliest war in Pavlostani history.

As modern times approached, Emperor Pavel XXIV, also known as Pavel the Wise began to give rights back to the peasants and serfs who worked under the Tovarischi and Druzya (Earls and Counts). The peasants, in thanks built a statue to Pavel the Wise in Castle Pavlostani in the capitol city of Togia. The commoners paid a light tax to the government, while the nobles found themselves burdened with a heavier tax. Most of them just grumbled and payed. However, Viscount Pickering seceded from the Empire, and several other nobles joined him, starting the Second Pavostani Civil War. However, most peasants sided with the loyalists and the nobles were quickly defeated.Then Pavel XXV came into power. He has been referred to as Pavel the Great for his bold expansionism. However, by this point in time, the Pavlostani Empire is in a state of decline. Despite expansion, it is losing territory just as fast. It's economy has imploded as a second famine threatens to rock the land. And now the Church of Nyphron is doubting the government and has assembled its own military, the Seret Guard.


Just one thing, this is a medieval Rp, and as such barely anyone had even thought of a government system other than absolute monarchy, so a Pavlastani Parliament is a bit too modern. This also goes in other areas of your bio where you've modernised it a bit.


who cares. My country is protestant 300 years before the protestant reformation. it's alternate history, mostly anything culture wise is up for grabs.
Factbook What every debate on NSG feels like.
http://xkcd.com/386/
"A simple layman armed with scripture, is greater than the mightiest pope without it" - Martin Luther.
"If I see farther, it is because I stand on the shoulders of giants."- Isaac Newton.
"There's no such thing as a stupid question,... until you ask it." - Doug Walker
I LOVE STELLA ARTOIS

Ecclesiastes 1:18 "For in much wisdom is much vexation,
and those who increase knowledge increase sorrow"
Economic Left/Right: -1.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.36

User avatar
The Holy Dominion of Inesea
Postmaster-General
 
Posts: 10877
Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Holy Dominion of Inesea » Thu Dec 20, 2012 4:24 pm

So.... How was my App?
I am a survivor of the American Abortion Holocaust

User avatar
The Aaronian Empire
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 490
Founded: May 23, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Aaronian Empire » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:08 pm

Annaliea wrote:Just one thing, this is a medieval Rp, and as such barely anyone had even thought of a government system other than absolute monarchy, so a Pavlastani Parliament is a bit too modern. This also goes in other areas of your bio where you've modernised it a bit.


I believe that the Republic was invented in like 400 BC

edit: at least that's when Plato wrote about it
Last edited by The Aaronian Empire on Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Aaronian Empire wrote:
St George of England wrote:Following a recent "threat" from the Aaronian Empire to rearrange all the furniture in the capital of Nottingham, His Imperial Majesty has extended an offer to the Aaronian government to send a team of interior designers to help decorate the under construction Palace of Angels.


Has accepted St George of England's offer and will be sending a battallion of interior decorating commandos Lead by Lieutenant Westfield

User avatar
Annaliea
Chargé d'Affaires
 
Posts: 500
Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Annaliea » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:24 pm

Yeah, but it's actual practical existence in medieval ages was nonexistent, in fact only scholars knew about such a system. It's just not a realistic form of government for the medieval time period (classical time period maybe)

PreviousNext

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: Alaskan Democratic Federative Republic, Alorixia, Alyssolandia, Assorted sucrose-based lifeforms, Bhenivelzen, Brydog, Canton Empire, Chazicaria, Christian Isles, Dragomerian Islands, Drumori City, England-Ireland, Mefpan, Nerotysia, Oahu Empire, Padnak, Soviet Chernarus, The Royally United Provinces, The Valoris Expedition, Unibearia, United Batavian States, Valaran

Remove ads