NATION

PASSWORD

Medieval RP - Feudal Lords OOC (CLOSED)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

ALMF
Minister

Founded: Jun 04, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby ALMF » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:20 pm

ALMF wrote:Application

Name of territory:Tiafa of Malaga
Name of leader: Abd al-Salām Ghaytasha
Heraldry: Dragon and tiger combatant collar-changing (red above gold below background) en-chevron with challenger border (top of dragon and tiger as well as the outside are gold bottom is red.
Which religion do your people follow (Christianity/Islam/Paganism): Islamic leadership but open (more than average for the Caliphate of Cordoba)
Which role do you wish to be?:Nawab
Where would you like to be placed:Granada both sides of Gibraltar and other continuous coastal (surrounding but biased to Atlantic and Iberian)
Can you provide a link to two other RPs you've been in?:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=201732&start=125 (only one sorry)

Bio of your leader (paragraph): The family founded by a Visigoth ship-captain that protected a captured daughter of Tariq ibn Ziyad and converted to marry her. The family's title to Baig was gained by deportment in the battles against the Visigoth king Roderic and Charles the hammer of the Franks. The family became premier traders between the Cristian kingdoms of Iberia/Atlantic-France. Ib Al Salam was a trainee officer and the son of a lesser sun who controlled a large part of the merchant fleet when the family holdings were among the loses to king Ferdinand I of León. At first, it seemed a catastrophe for the family; then, the story of there bravery in battle and pious prayers under torcher and execution got back to the Caliphate. His father was named Nawab and he was married to a daughter of the Umayyads Caliph. He spent 10 years as a merchant and privateer before his wife and father-in-law bout him to heal. Over the next 10 years he helped his father integrate the seaman and other refugees of the north of Al-Andalus with the locale inhabitants. Now he has inherited.

Bio of your civilisation (2 - 3 paragraphs): We began as a mixed group of assigned (by Ziyad) Buber and Wittiza loyalists especially seaman. We supported the Mores at Battle of Guadalete, Battle of Toulouse, and Battle of Tours. Later we controlled a seaport in Badajoz. We were big supporters of the Umayyad family and the openness of the Caliphate of Cordoba.

Over the centenaries we absorbed Berbers, Visigoths (Cristian and Muslim alike), Franks and some Arabs. Also we became the top trading house between the Barbers and France and the British Isles . They even put connections to the black sea and the vikings. All of thees connections made us a target of the Kingdom of Leon and our land was taken in about 25 years ago.

The area the Umayyads put us after ransoming us from Leon was compatible but somewhat different. Majority of this aria was Barber tribesman with both major Arab and Visigoth communities. There already a lot of intermarriage but a 20+ year policy of encouraging this and the same for the refugees and seaman has lead to a society that is if not homogenous than united.

Looks like I got missed
a left social libertarian (all on a scale 0-10 with a direction: 0 centrist 10 extreme)
Left over right: 5.99
Libertarian over authoritarian: 4.2,
non-interventionist over neo-con: 5.14
Cultural liberal over cultural conservative: 7.6

You are a cosmopolitan Social Democrat. 16 percent of the test participators are in the same category and 5 percent are more extremist than you.

Annaliea
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Annaliea » Mon Dec 17, 2012 9:42 pm

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:ouch nation divided over the black sea with no way around, good luck defending that. :p

lol yeah, thanks for pointing that out XD I reduced the amount of land I had on the other side, now its only about 5 territories, which would most likely be supplied/reinforced by sea. :)

Lord Hallsington-Dormestershire
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lord Hallsington-Dormestershire » Mon Dec 17, 2012 11:48 pm

I'm sorry to do this now, but I'm afraid I'll have to withdraw. I am unexpectedly being called out of town for a couple weeks due to a family matter, and I won't have the time to RP properly. My apologies.

New Babylonia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Babylonia » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:48 am

My mistake, thrid crusade it was. Also keep in mind the Eastern Empire was already beat to hell when the christians sacked Constantinople. I also don't think christians were expecting to be attacked by christians.

True, they rarely were that big. (And ironically, that army never made it to the battle, Barborossa dies on the way there, and they went back home.) But point, not a universal rule. And yes, i will be using horse archers. Wanna charghe your knights into the back of my men? Well, mind if i shoot your knights in the back with armor-piercing arrows. Or better yet, shoot the horses. See how useful your knights are then. Obviously they'll still put a fight, but on foot they'll be surronded easily. Horse-archers can be very useful indeed, and there's no way in hell any knight, and many types of light cavalry, are going to catch them. Its not a bad idea to wear heavy armor in the middle east. Its just not the best decision you'll make. In all honesty, on the march, heavy cav probably won't wearing full armor (for me) More like leather armor, covered by chain, their helmet, and plated boots. They won't be wearing the plate, i'd like it if they were still concious when they charged.

Another thing noted, you'll have to find some way to factor in fortress defenses into the equation. For example, Constantinople had some of the most formidable walls in the known world. While i haven't read how the christians sacked Constantinople, this makes me think they might've let them in, and then realized their mistake. Also, what are the average ranges for crossbows vs bows? On plains terrain, as well as hills (Croosbows work best as line-of-sight weapons, but CAN fire in arcs.). Anyway, only thing i plan on doing for awhile si defending Jerusalem, and conquering random lands around me. And trade, of course. Whcih remind sme, do i get silk?
The power of self is unlimited and ultimate, an unending wave of pure energy and being that could never be stopped, apart from time and forever ingrained into the fabrics of all being, this is the truth of Korrelian Existentialism.

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know gender and sex aren't the same thing ⚧
Pronouns? Just use whatever, it's all the same to me :P
You will always have your friends, with your friends, you will never be alone. There will always be a light. Friendship is Magic, its the magic that brings the most glimmering lights of hope to the darkest of worlds. And as long as you have it, you will never have to be afraid of the dark. - Me, New Babylonia ^^

New Babylonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Babylonia » Tue Dec 18, 2012 5:53 am

And a note to the new applicants (this was said before, mind you) I recall the OP stating catholic and pagan nations will no longer be accepted, because there is too damn many. Just putting that out there.
The power of self is unlimited and ultimate, an unending wave of pure energy and being that could never be stopped, apart from time and forever ingrained into the fabrics of all being, this is the truth of Korrelian Existentialism.

⚧Copy and paste this in your sig if you passed biology and know gender and sex aren't the same thing ⚧
You will always have your friends, with your friends, you will never be alone. There will always be a light. Friendship is Magic, its the magic that brings the most glimmering lights of hope to the darkest of worlds. And as long as you have it, you will never have to be afraid of the dark. - Me, New Babylonia ^^

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 18, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:52 am

Joukaai wrote:The personal response was towards New Babylonia and I apologize for the lack of differentiation.

With regards to arms, it is clearly a generalization and you list off most of the Muslim world. I was not trying to write a book detailing every single group that Knights were superior to. I also said usually in my response. A clear generalization, meant to be a useful reference with regards to the armies.The crusader states did not fight the Turks or Persians, they fought the Arabs for the most part, it was the Byzantines that had the Turks to deal with. There may have been exceptions but even as you admit, for the most part, Knights were better armed.

Next, I did not say that Pagans used horse archers. I said Muslims. Once again you reaffirm my generalization about their use from Spain to Uyghurstan. However, the Mongols did use horse archers as well. Pagan is an extremely broad term but I think we are speaking in reference to European pagans.

It seems with both your responses you agree with me, however on the first you would like a small caveat saying - this is in general, exceptions exist. I am perfectly fine with this. So that this discussion isn't wasted, we can add these caveats to the reference I made.

We appear to be in concert so I have nothing really to add, other than say that I would appreciate such caveats added. The reason I care so much is that I will RP the most potent part of my force as being heavy cavalry why I had to object to any suggestion that pagans could not match Knights as heavy cavalry.

With regards to very complex formulas that has been presented to decide warfare ... Pretty pretty please throw them away. If we wanted to have the results of our wars calculated on a computer we would be playing Total War. We are not, we are RP'ing and that, to me, means that placing a great emphasis on computations and formulas should be avoided at all costs.

I realize that that presents the pervasive issues of people Godmodding their troops to victory against impossible odds but if that issue would really be great in the RP it is doomed to fail anyway.

Down with formulas up with free form RP'ing!

Please?
Last edited by Of the Quendi on Tue Dec 18, 2012 7:52 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nation RP name
Arda i Eruhíni (short form)
Alcarinqua ar Meneldëa Arda i Eruhíni i sé Amanaranyë ar Aramanaranyë (long form)

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Tue Dec 18, 2012 10:08 am

Okay, I thought this was going to be an RP, not a contest to see how many shit troops you can field. Seems I was wrong.
Jormengand wrote:It would be really meta if I sigged this.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Founded: Feb 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:23 pm

It was inevitable, First man against God, and now the Players vs the DM. REVOLUTION!!!

Pawn and King
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pawn and King » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:52 pm

Here's what we'll do, then. If you guys can be mature and reach an agreement among yourselves without any hard feelings, soreness, or bitterness, you can RP battles fully, so long as the attacker/defenders are happy with the casualty/fatality figures. The moment people start getting sore, bitter, annoyed, or use godmod excuses (BUT ALL MY DEFENDERS WERE IN A SOLID 40 METER THICK STONE KEEP, SO YOUR TREBUCHET DIDN'T DO SHIT/ALL MY ATTACKERS ARE ACTUALLY TRAINED FROM THE AGE OF 2 IN NINJITSU, SO THEY KILLED YOU ALL INSTANTLY), I will revoke this right from you, as you will have proven yourself unable to use it.

Then we'll use a version of the more complex formula (without strength points). So still, gives you a fair bit of leeway, but makes things more defined. If you still can't use that, we're literally going to use the basic formula.

Does that sound fair?
Need an Assassination done? Look no further...

New Armarzia
Minister

Founded: Aug 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby New Armarzia » Tue Dec 18, 2012 2:56 pm

Pawn and King wrote:Here's what we'll do, then. If you guys can be mature and reach an agreement among yourselves without any hard feelings, soreness, or bitterness, you can RP battles fully, so long as the attacker/defenders are happy with the casualty/fatality figures. The moment people start getting sore, bitter, annoyed, or use godmod excuses (BUT ALL MY DEFENDERS WERE IN A SOLID 40 METER THICK STONE KEEP, SO YOUR TREBUCHET DIDN'T DO SHIT/ALL MY ATTACKERS ARE ACTUALLY TRAINED FROM THE AGE OF 2 IN NINJITSU, SO THEY KILLED YOU ALL INSTANTLY), I will revoke this right from you, as you will have proven yourself unable to use it.

Then we'll use a version of the more complex formula (without strength points). So still, gives you a fair bit of leeway, but makes things more defined. If you still can't use that, we're literally going to use the basic formula.

Does that sound fair?

I am all for that, I think people should decide before the battle commences or at least half-way through a longer fight where tactics can be done mid-battle so that we you can do the mid-battle and end-battle with the outcome already in mind.
Last edited by God on Mon Jan 1, 0000, 0:00 AM, edited infinite times in total.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Memories of The Forgotten Please check it out if you are interested in STALKER or an RP with a post-apocalyptic vibe.

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Tue Dec 18, 2012 3:58 pm

Pawn and King wrote:Here's what we'll do, then. If you guys can be mature and reach an agreement among yourselves without any hard feelings, soreness, or bitterness, you can RP battles fully, so long as the attacker/defenders are happy with the casualty/fatality figures. The moment people start getting sore, bitter, annoyed, or use godmod excuses (BUT ALL MY DEFENDERS WERE IN A SOLID 40 METER THICK STONE KEEP, SO YOUR TREBUCHET DIDN'T DO SHIT/ALL MY ATTACKERS ARE ACTUALLY TRAINED FROM THE AGE OF 2 IN NINJITSU, SO THEY KILLED YOU ALL INSTANTLY), I will revoke this right from you, as you will have proven yourself unable to use it.

Does that sound fair?

Fair enough.
New Armarzia wrote:I am all for that, I think people should decide before the battle commences or at least half-way through a longer fight where tactics can be done mid-battle so that we you can do the mid-battle and end-battle with the outcome already in mind.

I disagree that battles should be decided before they begin. What purpose should that serve other than making fighting battles a dull affair?
Nation RP name
Alcarinqua ar Meneldëa Arda i Eruhíni i sé Amanaranyë ar Aramanaranyë (long form)

New Armarzia
Minister

Founded: Aug 08, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby New Armarzia » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:17 am

Of the Quendi wrote:
New Armarzia wrote:I am all for that, I think people should decide before the battle commences or at least half-way through a longer fight where tactics can be done mid-battle so that we you can do the mid-battle and end-battle with the outcome already in mind.

I disagree that battles should be decided before they begin. What purpose should that serve other than making fighting battles a dull affair?

It may make them a little more dull, but if an outcome is not figured out beforehand than people will be more likely to argue over it and start pulling out the different godmods in mid-battle as they both believe they will win and will write like they are winning.

Anyway, that is why I said for larger battles people should come up with an outcome mid-battle, that way they can RP the end of the battle as if they are actually winning/losing.
Last edited by God on Mon Jan 1, 0000, 0:00 AM, edited infinite times in total.

S.T.A.L.K.E.R.: Memories of The Forgotten Please check it out if you are interested in STALKER or an RP with a post-apocalyptic vibe.

New Babylonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Babylonia » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:26 am

I was figuring we use the formula (to see who wins) and then the battle itself actually happening can be Roleplayed out. Either way works, i suppose.

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:17 am

Haha we can use dice like in DnD

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:24 am

New Armarzia wrote:It may make them a little more dull, but if an outcome is not figured out beforehand than people will be more likely to argue over it and start pulling out the different godmods in mid-battle as they both believe they will win and will write like they are winning.

Anyway, that is why I said for larger battles people should come up with an outcome mid-battle, that way they can RP the end of the battle as if they are actually winning/losing.

If people will argue and godmod they will find a way to do so no matter what instruments we use to prevent it while simultaneously robbing ourselves of the fun of RP’ing.

I believe that we should allow battles to develop organically, so to speak. If people, sensing a defeat nearing, introduce a desperate measure mid battle they should be allowed to do so as long as it is not a godmod. If it is a godmod it should be prohibited anyway.

And if a battle is nearing conclusion with a victor emerging then nothing short of a godmod will be able to change that.

New Babylonia wrote:I was figuring we use the formula (to see who wins) and then the battle itself actually happening can be Roleplayed out. Either way works, i suppose.

Oh no that sounds even more borring then the other suggestion.
Nation RP name

Jormengand
Powerbroker

Founded: May 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Jormengand » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:46 am

Tarsonis Survivors wrote:Haha we can use dice like in DnD

Epic-level human fighters? I'm down.
Jormengand wrote:It would be really meta if I sigged this.

Pawn and King
Diplomat

Founded: Jan 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Pawn and King » Wed Dec 19, 2012 2:18 pm

Obviously you've never RP'd in NS Sports...

That's what I was going for here - in NS Sports, the outcome is decided by formula, and then the players RP how it went, one already certain of victory, and the other of losing. It's a good system, as it prevents bitterness, godmodding, and soreness, as well as allows characters to gain skill naturally (i.e, if there's a group of 4, and your character loses 2 games, his stats will be changed accordingly).

It's very useful in that regard - establishing a league table, or in our case, a natural hierarchy of military domination, without, as has been said, people getting upset halfway through that they seem to be losing, and suddenly claim they're approached by mercenary warlords with 10,000 men each who will help them for free, or whatever.
Need an Assassination done? Look no further...

Tarsonis Survivors
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Tarsonis Survivors » Wed Dec 19, 2012 5:49 pm

Pawn and King wrote:

Obviously you've never RP'd in NS Sports...

That's what I was going for here - in NS Sports, the outcome is decided by formula, and then the players RP how it went, one already certain of victory, and the other of losing. It's a good system, as it prevents bitterness, godmodding, and soreness, as well as allows characters to gain skill naturally (i.e, if there's a group of 4, and your character loses 2 games, his stats will be changed accordingly).

It's very useful in that regard - establishing a league table, or in our case, a natural hierarchy of military domination, without, as has been said, people getting upset halfway through that they seem to be losing, and suddenly claim they're approached by mercenary warlords with 10,000 men each who will help them for free, or whatever.

No I haven't.....and I don't think I like your tone..::draws blade:: :eyebrow:

Lol anyway I think that's good, but I think your formula leaves much to be desired in terms of RP. This is going to require massive participation in an IRC, and cooperation. Everyone needs to leave their low hangers at the door, and agree the scope of the story is more important than if your nation wins or loses.

Pavlostani
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pavlostani » Wed Dec 19, 2012 8:16 pm

Name of territory: Pavlostani Empire
Name of leader: Emperor Pavel the Great
Heraldry: Unfinished Pyramid with an eagle atop it holding a sword in one foot and a sheaf of papers in the other
Which religion do your people follow (Christianity/Islam/Paganism): Paganism
Which role do you wish to be (King/Shah/Sultan, Duke/Mirza, Earl/Nawab, Baron/Baig): Tovarisch (Equivalent to Earl)
(Note, if you have chosen 'Paganism' as your religion, you may use any title you wish, so long as you indicate its equivalent.)
Where would you like to be placed (for example, Central France/Egypt and surrounding regions/Kievan Rus'): Territory around the Aral Sea
My idea
Can you provide a link to two other RPs you've been in?: Expect to be disappointed at my RP skills, but they've improved a bit.
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=199717
viewtopic.php?f=5&t=209870
Bio of your leader (paragraph):
Emperor Pavel the Great in his youth was an aggressive expansionist. His armies plowed through the Kievan Rus. He rode into battle fighting barbarians. Despite early success, the barbarian hordes slowly chipped away at his armies, until he was on the defensive, trying to protect the Aral and surrounding territory. As Pavel grew older, the barbarian hordes reduced their assaults on the Empire and Pavel was able to settle down. When he was twenty eight, he married Countess Julia Haynes. Haynes proved to be an excellent adviser, providing insight when Pavel was irrational. Pavel began stripping the Pavlostani Parliament of their power when he was forty, and began to reduce the important of the national religion, creating a more secular state. Now fifty seven years old, Pavel and Countess Haynes live together in Castle Pavlostani.
Bio of your civilisation (2 - 3 paragraphs):
In 300 CE, a group of Slavic tribes banded together for protection. This tribal alliance grew more powerful as their combined efforts dominated the local tribes. In 398 CE, they fractured into several warring states. One of these states, Pavlostani, produced a brilliant leader named Pavel. Pavel began to conquer surrounding tribes with ruthless efficiency. His tactics involved heavily coordinated knights combined with light cavalry and foot soldiers created a combination that the tribes could not combat. IN 451 CE, all of the tribes were united under the Pavlostani flag. Pavel created the Pavlostani Empire, and declared himself the first emperor.

In the mid 700s, the Pavlostani Empire flourished. Their proximity to the Aral Sea provided a steady source of fish, which became a major industry in the nation. The government began to commission "Super Fishing Boats" to more efficiently fish the sea. Unfortunately, this was too successful and the Aral Sea was underpopulated for several years. This lead to the Great Pavlostani Famine, which killed %10 of the Pavlostani Population. At the end of the famine, the Great Pavlostani Civil War occurred as several territories broke away from the Empire. Emperor Pavel XVII led the forces to retake the territories. It was the deadliest war in Pavlostani history.

As modern times approached, Emperor Pavel XXIV, also known as Pavel the Wise began to give rights back to the peasants and serfs who worked under the Tovarischi and Druzya (Earls and Counts). The peasants, in thanks built a statue to Pavel the Wise in Castle Pavlostani in the capitol city of Togia. The commoners paid a light tax to the government, while the nobles found themselves burdened with a heavier tax. Most of them just grumbled and paid. They could afford it. Then Pavel XXV came into power. He has been referred to as Pavel the Great for his bold expansionism. However, by this point in time, the Pavlostani Empire is in a state of decline. Despite expansion, it is losing territory just as fast. It's economy has imploded as a second famine threatens to rock the land. And there are rumors about an ecclesiastical paramilitary organization known as the Seret Knights, which the government fears, as they have no control over it.
Last edited by Pavlostani on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:21 am, edited 2,742,950,128,932 times in total

The Holy Dominion of Inesea
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Holy Dominion of Inesea » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:00 pm

Name of territory: Confederation of Iberia
Name of leader: Councilman Formbi
Heraldry: Dual Crescent
Which religion do your people follow (Christianity/Islam/Paganism): Pagan
Which role do you wish to be (King/Shah/Sultan, Duke/Mirza, Earl/Nawab, Baron/Baig):
(Note, if you have chosen 'Paganism' as your religion, you may use any title you wish, so long as you indicate its equivalent.)
Where would you like to be placed (for example, Central France/Egypt and surrounding regions/Kievan Rus'): Northern Iberia(Spain)
Can you provide a link to two other RPs you've been in?:http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=199717
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=31&t=211041
Bio of your leader (paragraph): I will post the paragraphs tomorrow.
Bio of your civilisation (2 - 3 paragraphs):
I'm really tired

Euskirribakondara
Minister

Founded: Jul 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Euskirribakondara » Wed Dec 19, 2012 9:19 pm

OOC: Edited, final version. And it was a bit rude by Annaliea not paying attention to what I had already written about history in my region... but oh well, I tried to work that out. I'll start RPing when I get clearance after submitting this post.

Name of territory: The Bagratuni Caucasian Empire of Sahayk'velo (Caucasus or Sahayk'velo, for short)

Name of leader: Dzamurk'vis (King) Hayk III

Heraldry:

Which religion do your people follow: Midaranism (Read further, below)

Which role do you wish to be: Monarch/King

Where would you like to be placed: Map

Can you provide a link to two other RPs you've been in?: Here are two samples: ONE and TWO. But I can bring more if requested; and you can also visit my region (Flegavia), where I've created all the threads linked to in the World Factbook Entry.

The Brief Factbook of the Bagratuni Caucasian Empire of Sahayk'velo

History
The region of the Caucasus has always been a hotspot of movement and interaction in all fields: culture, linguistics, economy, military, etc. Since the time of the Ancient Kingdoms (Armenia, Albania, Colchis, Iberia), the Caucasus has established a strong own identity which perfectly matches its landscape, resources and traditions. The Media, Achaemenid Empire, Parthia and the Sassanid Empire have also had control in the area, leaving part of them as heritage to the modern Caucasians. The period from the XV century BC, and the V century BC was marked by several city states in the whole area, competing for their own peace. The Byzantine Empire began, and it had friendly relations with the city-states of the Caucasian Highlands.

The Byzantine Empire was defeated by the Armenian Empire around the year 99 BC, but then it was allowed to break off as another entity, in the year 96 BC, paying some tributes and small taxes. The Byzantines finally began to settle down, improving and extending the quality of life in the Empire, right in the central part of Anatolia, west of the Armenian Empire, which at one point, leaded by Tigranes the Great (95-55 BC), controlled all the lands between the Caucasian Mountains and Egypt, and the Mediterranean Sea and the Caspian Sea (about 3,000,000 km2). This kingdom, strongly influenced by Hellenism, would daily defeat invading armies from the west, and began developing a remarkable civilization. Zoroastrianism arrived in the region, and blended with the local rites and beliefs, creating a religion called "Zithranism".

Around the year 301 AD, the Empire fell, but leaving a new race in place: the Caucasians, a mix of Armenian, Mittanian, Hittite and Kartvelian blood and traditions, with a new language as well, Kavkazian. A system of city-states was the successor of the long lasting Armenian Empire, and trade began, one of the pillars of the Caucasian Society of today. In 404 AD, a prophet called Midara began developing a new ethical and religious system for the Caucasian peoples, and Midaranism was finally established in 444 AD, when the Yeklets'i (Temple) of Ket'vaisi was inaugurated, near Mount Ararat. The religion was rapidly adopted throughout the region, and many scholars believe it incorporates elements from Zoroastrianism, Judaism, Paganism and Christianism at the same time.

Peoples from the west arrived and conquered the area, letting the locals keep their language and religion in exchange for military and commercial aid. The Imperium was created in 486, and its legitimate successors are both the County of Altorum (which would subsequently transform in the Regnus Empire), and the Royal House of Mikvan, since the fall of the Imperium around the year 715. This same year was marked by the Great Earthquake of Aragats', which destroyed many prosperous cities in the Armenian Highlands.

Among this chaos, the House of Mikvan began annexing (or either, conquering) the cities around it, and quickly formed the Mikvanish Kingdom, with capital in T'biliso {RL Tbilisi}. The modern culture began being developed, and the advances every day were breathtaking. At one point, the Mikvanish Kingdom reached the Caspian Sea, in the Absharon Peninsula {RL Baku}... Hence uniting the whole Caucasus. Basing itself in the knowledge acquired by the Armenians and the early Georgians, Mikvan grew amazingly. It's since these times that a commercial route, the Silk Road, exists between the East and the West, crossing the city of Yervaisi {RL Artashat} and reaching the port of Kobuk'so {RL Dörtyol}. In 820, the House of Mikvan declined its rights to the throne after receiving big pressure from nearby Arab armies; nonetheless, its last prince, Davit I, married Lusine Gebladzo, a girl who carried the blood of the Noble Family of Sevan. Their son, Davit II (born in 830), is regarded as the founder of the Bagratuni Dynasty. In 840, the Arabs were expulsed by the locals in several rebellions and guerrilla-like skirmishes. The city-states era was back.

But behold the threat of a new Arab attack, and seeking strength through unity, a council of all the cities (held in 846) decided that they'd join again under a same flag. They also decided that Davit II, from now on, Davit Bagrat I, would be the first king of the Caucasian Kingdom. Even though he was only 16 when we reached the throne, the progress began, and the Caucasus again stood as a gate between East and West. The subsequent kings, Davit Bagrat II (899 - 925) and Lionis I (925 - 952) were the precursors of the New Golden Age: they worked on every field to make the life of Caucasians better.

In 952, the throne was acquired by Hayk I, and he is regarded today as the Father of Sahayk'velo. In fact, the new name of the nation, Sahayk'velo, is a derivation of his name, as a means of honouring his name and status. He died in the year 1000, leaving a nation so advanced that its greatest minds have travelled all over Europe helping other nations. It was at this time that contact between the Variags and Caucasian Kingdom grew in significance. Though relations had existed as far back as the time of the Ioriag Empire and the Imperium (600); it was under Ovatha II in the Khanate, and Hayk I in Caucasus, that the Variags began to look towards the Caucasians as the Ioriags had once looked to the Sassanids. Caucasian scientists, doctors, merchants, architects, missionaries, farmers, engineers, soldiers and philosophers flocked to the emerging cities of the southern parts of the Khaganate inspiring a new urban civilization of the Variags. A golden age for the Variag civilization was emerging.

Several reforms, that included reforms to the national religion (Midaranism), the national language (Kavkazian), the economy, the military and the architecture were unveiled in this time. His son, Hayk II ruled until his death in 1030, doing everything possible to leave his (and his father's) name in history. He, however, focused more on expanding the Kingdom (thus, it became an Empire), and founded the provinces and cities of Abxordets' {RL Astrakhan} and Yerk'vak'vots {RL Aktau}, establishing his power in the Caspian Sea. Before his death, he also launched the Campaign of Odessa (completed in late 1031). The next monarch was the Queen Ivinino, who ruled until 1062 developing the Arts and Culture. She is also remembered for acquiring (through a purchase) the coast north of Kavich' {RL Sochi}. Her only son is today's King, Hayk III (born in 1033), one of the brightest men in the world, and a polyglot by excellence. He is also a great strategic mind, and he has promised he'll expand Sahayk'velo's influence massively.

Religion
Thanks to the ruling of Hayk I, Midaranism is now the major religion of most Kavkazians (around 95%). However, tolerance behold other religions is omnipresent in the Empire, and there are little Jewish, Muslim and Christian communities living in the regions of the nation. Midaranism can be described as a mix of Zoroastrianism, Judaism, Islam, Paganism and Christianism influences. In fact, many scholars point to it being a modernization of Zithranism, a blend of Zoroastrianism with the local rites and beliefs of the Caucasian peoples of the first century AD.

It was created by the prophet Midara, and it was finally established in 444 AD, when the Yeklets'i (Temple) of Ket'vaisi was inaugurated, near Mount Ararat. In the reign of Hayk I (952-1000), it was reformed to make it what is today. The teachings of Midara are documented in the Holy Book, "Gortsalebihaqva Simart'yun Es Tsarozut'yun u Shal" (lit. in Old Kavkazian, <Experience's Words of Wisdom On Success and Mistakes>), also known as "Gorestsashal" for short. The other Holy Book is the "Tundigirk'", which through parables and metaphors teaches what Midara left. The Gorestsashal is composed by three chapters or "zuyinturdi" and each one explains an aspect of the Midaranist cosmovision:

Faravar Hogisë (The Immortal Soul)
Each human being has an immortal soul, composed by six layers: three of them are good, and three of them are bad. These are: good words, good thoughts and good deeds; and their opposites, bad words, bad thoughts and bad deeds. Everyone is born with the six layers, but as babies, only the three good ones exists. Society feeds the bad three layers, and the duty of peoples is to cultivate the soul in order to stay only with the three good layers. This will bring balance into the Faravar Hogisë, and thus, will bring joy to that person's life. A person must follow the 30 commandments to have a happy life. When one dies, its soul goes into another body and continues its journey in the universe, until the day a new world is created and the old world is left behind. When that happens, the souls will go to that new world and experience new things that weren't experienced so far. In fact, this current world is a better world than another one we've already left behind (this is the second world). That day, or "Mebelgarok'" is marked by the arrival of a new prophet (Meshik) who will guide the journey to the new, third, world. The last switch of world was more than 7000 years ago, and the new one is expected to come 2000 years from now.

Astertanerë (The Gods)
The world is not ruled by one and only God, but by a pantheon of spirits and gods who inhabit the skies {Gods, Ghamert'i} and the ground {Spirits, Suliskveba}. The gods are three: Aramaz, Luzin and Yavlah; whilst the spirits are six: Lavor, Sevan, Tagir, Bat'ami, Kvalop and Aragat. They have no gender, because equality is an integral part of Midaranism. The gods and spirits altogether created the world in six days and rested the seventh one (hence the tradition of celebrating Masinsinë each Saturday), and they recreate it every Mebelgarok with new distinct features. They just oversee the world and create... They have no influence whatsoever in every person's life, because LIFE is a construction of each soul. The prayers of Midaranism, in fact, are mostly thanking them for their creations, but they're never meant for asking favours or goods.

Pashtulë (The Cult)
The Midaranist Temple must be a closed building with at least three walls in marble (the white represents purity) and must have blue carpets in the floor (representing peace and balance). It must be an hexagon, and the center must be a sandpit where a bonfire can be set up. The bonfire must be lit every Saturday, and incense and sandalwood must be burnt in there. This ceremony, or "Masinsinë" is composed by three parts: the lecture of the Tundigirk', the prayers, and the "Luvati", a feast of food and non-alcoholic drinks where everyone gathers together in peace. In daily life, the head of a woman and a man must be covered like this.

Economy (OOC: Related to the Economic Bonus)
The economy of the Empire is heavily based on trade. In fact, the whole economical support of the Caucasus has always been trading, and agriculture and manufacturing are the secondary industries that create the products that will be traded with nations from all over the world. Having access to the Mediterranean Sea, the Black Sea and the Caspian Sea, it forms a tertiary main route of the Silk Road; and it is now one of the richest Empires of the world thanks to that (OOC: Take Armenian Cilicia as an example). The Empire now has a sophisticated monetary system with gold coins, silver coins, copper coins and banknotes. To increase trade, every Kavkazian, no matter his class/family/etc. is taught basic mathematics to be able to use the currency of the Empire, called <Dram>.

However, the characteristic of the Kavkazian Empire that makes it stand out in the world, just like other powers of the Northeast Mediterranean, is the advanced knowledge and technologies on every major field. The libraries that rival the Byzantine ones, the museums that collect art from all over the world, and the literacy rate of the high classes (100%) is enough to have created one of the most advanced civilizations nowadays. Plus, research and inventions are fully funded by the everlasting always-increasing trade.

Military (OOC: Related to the Military Bonus)
Living in the Caucasian Highlands, the military is specialized in attacks in the mountains. But specifically, in valleys. Archers form the elite of the Army as they shoot their deadly arrows from the hills, and the infantry fights melee-style in the river of that valley. As such, the Army is often nicknamed "the Army of Valleys". (OOC: Bear in mind the difference between valley and vale. Here I'm talking about narrow valleys, not wide vales.)
Euskirribakondara: Prosperity In Diversity
Political Compass: -7.38 (EC), -6.21 (SO)

WHF and WorldVision, Entries and Results
32nd World Hit Festival Winner

The Aaronian Empire
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 23, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby The Aaronian Empire » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:12 pm

Is the map on the original post the one we are using in the IC?
The Aaronian Empire wrote:
St George of England wrote:Following a recent "threat" from the Aaronian Empire to rearrange all the furniture in the capital of Nottingham, His Imperial Majesty has extended an offer to the Aaronian government to send a team of interior designers to help decorate the under construction Palace of Angels.

Has accepted St George of England's offer and will be sending a battallion of interior decorating commandos Lead by Lieutenant Westfield

Annaliea
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Dec 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Annaliea » Wed Dec 19, 2012 10:26 pm

Euskirribakondara wrote:OOC: Edited, final version. And it was a bit rude by Annaliea not paying attention to what I had already written about history in my region... but oh well, I tried to work that out. I'll start RPing when I get clearance after submitting this post.

Sorry, it was quite a few pages ago so I didn't see it. If you want me to revise anything in my application I'm sure that would be fine. (As long as it's not major)

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Thu Dec 20, 2012 2:59 am

Euskirribakondara wrote:

Good stuff

Very nice factbook, really excellent. Your religion looks very interesting and I can definitely see it gain a foothold in the Khaganate maybe even “winning” the Faravar Hogisë of the Variags and becoming state religion. Where did you think of the names?

One thing you may want to rethink is paper money. However advanced your empire is that is something that, in Europe and the Middle East, is more of a renaissance or late medieval thing.
Last edited by Of the Quendi on Thu Dec 20, 2012 3:00 am, edited 1 time in total.
Nation RP name

New Babylonia
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby New Babylonia » Thu Dec 20, 2012 5:26 am

Of the Quendi wrote:
Euskirribakondara wrote:

Good stuff

Very nice factbook, really excellent. Your religion looks very interesting and I can definitely see it gain a foothold in the Khaganate maybe even “winning” the Faravar Hogisë of the Variags and becoming state religion. Where did you think of the names?

One thing you may want to rethink is paper money. However advanced your empire is that is something that, in Europe and the Middle East, is more of a renaissance or late medieval thing.

Still, one problem. Your religion. As i've seen stated a couple times, it may be the reason your'e not accepted. SImply because there's too many christians and pagans.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents