NATION

PASSWORD

The Fall of Voerdeland (IC: ATTN Vapor)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Vjiay
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Ex-Nation

The Fall of Voerdeland (IC: ATTN Vapor)

Postby Vjiay » Tue Sep 11, 2012 3:35 pm

OOC Thread: viewtopic.php?f=5&t=198525

“Extra, extra, read all about it! Get the scoop on the tariffs yet again increased by the government on the Amplectoran line!” A young boy held a newspaper in the air, with a stack of similar ones beside him. He yelled his advertisement out, competing against the shouting for taxi-cabs, the hiss of steam hydraulics of the nearby train station and the distant - but nevertheless loud - clatter of the machine works. The thin rain, oddly enough, seemed to simply slide off the paper, leaving no residue.

An apparently rather wealthy man, wearing a dark storm coat, top hat, an apparently opaque green monacle and holding a chrome like device in his hand that was making a slight whirring flicked the boy a coin, before snatching the newspaper from his hand and unfolding the front page, carrying on through the crowds, deftly dodging passers by.

AMPLECTORAN OUTRAGE AS GOVERNMENT AGAIN INCREASES RAIL TARIFFS

Nations across Amplector were again shocked last night to find that the Vjiayan government plan another hike in rail tariffs. Enemies of the plan, perhaps most vocal the Fanaglians, claim it is an ‘outright, fraudulent act’ by the Vjiayan authorities who are 'gaining an unfair percentage of profits from the railway', also claiming that the duties are devastating to their own industries.
Vjiayan officials disputed this immediately, issuing the following statement;

“What the Amplectoran governments seem not to understand is that it takes a lot of effort on our part to ensure the smooth running of goods from this continent to the East. This takes the form of rail maintenance, staff and certainly not least, the fact that the more foreign trains that pass through our lands, the less of ours do. All we’re asking that we be paid a reasonable amount to even out these costs. I assure you, we do not aim to make any sort of profit from these tariffs.”

This looks like the start of a long dispute between, in particular, Vjiay and Fanaglia, who have been at constant loggerheads regarding the railway.
More on this story on Page 3.

A little down the page, the man noted, was a story of at least equal importance, but with much less fanfare.

Crisis in Voerdeland deepens

Reports from the Zhao state are few and far between, but when they do come, it is never good news. Last night was no exception, when the Gazette learned of the conditions on the street in the stricken nation.
People jobless, children starving, disease rife, persecution on religious grounds, this is what comes when a nation overspends and forfeits its security. Their president, the one that led them into this devastation is nearing the end of his term, with no hopes of being re-elected and, seemingly, no-one there to replace him anyway.
Humanitarian organisations have pleaded for the Vjiayan government to send aid. In reply, it released the following statement,
“The situation in Voerdeland is most delicate, it is not a simple case of sending general aid, as it will be intercepted by corrupt government officials and the powerful gangs that are working the cities into the ground. Rest assured though, a plan of action is being put in place and order will soon be restored, for the security of our nation. There are many insidious individuals and groups that want to take advantage of the troubling situation, it is punishing them that will currently take priority.”

For more on this story turn to Page four.

Prime Ministers Quarters,
Upper House,
Urbaurum.

19th June, 1889.

“Reports from assets on the continent clarify our suspicions, sir, the tariffs are really beginning to grind on certain nations, with particular disillusionment coming from Fanaglia. They all see the railroad as unworthy of the investment, due to our tariffs.” Matthew Wootton, uncharacteristically nervous, presented his report to William Pelly, the Prime Minister of Vjiay, who was currently nonchalantly smoking a pipe.

“Well, let them think what they like. From what I gathered at that god-awful conference it was up to the individual nations’ to benefit from the railroad as best they could. This is the best way for Vjiay to benefit from it.” He took another intake of smoke, looking as bored as ever,

“Well sir, we are benefiting,” Matthew said, “But at what expense? We’re alienating potentially powerful nations’, we’re deepening the crisis in Voerdeland and potentially incurring a humanitarian crisis, they're even killing eachother on religious grounds." William scoffed, he was a known hater of all religion, Matthew ignored him and carried on, "There's even a risk of bringing Eastern nations into it. Mishmahigian Christians are bearing the brunt of the killings and Mishmahig looks likely to intervene. All of that is not even mentioning that we’re completely isolated in the doctrine we're pursuing.” He took a breath, resolving himself, “Frankly I think we’re doing ourselves more harm than good in the long run and for a nation that prides itself on free-market ideals and individual entrepreneurship are doing hardly any better than our communist rivals in the east.”

William had listened quietly throughout all of this and in some parts apparently been nodding his agreement. Finally, he responded.

“First, Matthew, I want you to know that I appointed you Foreign Minister because I respect your opinion and because you do a damn fine job.” He paused, giving the Minister a fierce stare, “However, you are too soft. If we didn’t have these tariffs we would be making exponential losses on this railway, no matter what the free traders argue. We put the most into this out of any of the Amplectoran nations. Not only does it spread the width of our mainland but the entire length of Valoria and we all know achieving the latter feat wasn’t without bloodshed.” He was referring to the Western Valorian tribes that had butchered around a hundred engineers who first entered the badlands, invoking the deployment of armed patrols and resulting in the deaths of around two dozen soldiers (though many more natives had fallen), “In my mind, and in the mind of most in government and amongst the populace, these Amplectoran nations owe us, and what‘s a few little tariffs in comparison to the Vjiayan blood that was spilt giving them the chance to expand West?”

The Foreign Minister, though having plenty to say, said nothing, for fear of making his superiors’ current temper worse. Instead, he nodded,

“I understand, sir. May I warn you though,” he said cautiously, unsure himself of why he was continuing, “That sooner or later, whether it be a nation or a group, this will come back to haunt us.”
Last edited by Vjiay on Tue Oct 02, 2012 1:14 pm, edited 4 times in total.

The Holy Dominion of Inesea
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Holy Dominion of Inesea » Tue Sep 11, 2012 6:36 pm

Ascension, Sankt Zhao, Inesea
People's High Council
High Aristocra Formbi took to the podium. In front of him, arrayed in a trapizoid, sloping chamber, were the 100 members of the People's High Council. Elected every 5 years by the People's Council, they were the "leaders" of a country where everyone ruled, per se. Clearing his throat, Formbi began his speech. "17 years ago, Our Country was ruled by the Iron Fists of the Council of Oligarchs. For 80 years, they had stiffled free speech, starved us, and taxed us, all in the name of the Goverment. The Council of Oligarchs placed Inesea in isolation. We fell behind technologically. We suffered. We died. To the Council we were $ signs."

"But 16 years ago that changed. Workers went on strike, farmers refused to hand over their crops. The Oligarchs sent in soldiers, they beat and killed the workers and farmers. But soon the soldiers rebelled too, for they did not want to kill kin. After 2 years of bloody strife, we, the people, prevailed. We cast down the Oligarchs from their thrones and created the Social Republic. Now, we all have a say. But we will not forget the strife of the Schism, whioch is why we are still called, The Former Aristocratic States of Inesea."

"The recovery from the opression of the Oligarchs took time, but, we had time. We invited in the Xecuiian's with their advanced steam engines and they helped us modernise our peace-keeping forces. We traded our amassed food surplus to the Dalruanazkalians in exchange for shiops and naval knowledge. The starvations and famines of the past are no more! This year, we produced enough food to feed our nation for 5 years. And not only have we traded for technology, we have industrialized our nation. In the past 5 years, we have manufactured over 200 Naval Vessels and many vehicles."

"However, to our East lies a opressive country. There they act like the Oligarchs of old. The people are opressed and killed. That is why we are voting on a humanitarian aid program to that country."
I'm really tired

Cyprum Xecuii
Senator

Founded: Jan 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyprum Xecuii » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:01 pm

Northern Zhao upon the regions near Voerdeland

A scouting party of the Xecuiian 56th provincial expedition garrison had reached the outskirts of a seemingly deserted village. A Field Kommandant had set up a periscope to focus
on the streets and open ground. Another scout had did the same, laying down beside with another periscope, however, he was more focused on the buildings to spot for
any persons still in the town. After around 5 minutes of snail like turning, elevating, and depressing the periscopes for signs of any living beings, the Kommandant had decided
that there was no threat, nor no civilians to hold as prisoners. With quick hand signals, he ordered one of his squad members to relay to the main force that it was all clear to
search the town.

Within 20 minutes, a force of around 300 had entered the small village bearing the Xecuiian serene moon flag in full show, yet there was no resistance nor was there anything
there to even be considered a 'welcome' to them. Field Officers had ordered soldiers to search homes in order to find anything that could connect the town to some sort of past,
however, most of the buildings were entirely desolate, no souvenirs, no little mementos of the people living there, nothing but an old village as it appeared to be. The scouting
Kommandant which had found the village, was now trying to locate where they all happened to actually be on the Northern regions of Zhao using an outdated map, but no landmarks
or key areas could be seen. With a chill of deathly silence in the town, the entire force had agreed to start leaving the forsaken town and head onward regardless of their actual
location.

Fanaglia
Senator

Founded: Nov 09, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Fanaglia » Tue Sep 11, 2012 8:25 pm

Kraftenberg Maximum-Security Prison,
Kraftenberg Municipality, Fanaglia
6 December, 1889
23:45 Local Time

Despite the mild winters characteristic of Fanaglia, Jacqueline Beaumont shivered on the stone floor of her cell as the cool air of the December night blew through the bars that were all that separated her from the outside world. Five long years it had been since she was first apprehended by RAS forces back on Dehui. Five years she had had to contemplate the reasons they may have had for not executing her for her treason -- whatever their reasons, she wished every day that they had.

"Hey, you!" Came a voice. "Beaumont!" She looked up, weakly -- tired. An unfamiliar and well-dressed man stood there. Whoever he was, he certainly was not a guard.

"Who are you?"

"Who am I? It does not matter."

"Sod off, then," she spat.

"If it makes you feel better, you may call me Nick."

"Cute," she muttered.

"If you do not want your present, then, I'll just be on my way," he said condescendingly, waving a large brass key in front of the cell door. Her eyes lit up. "Ah, now I've got your attention."

"What do you want?"

"I want you, Miss Beaumont." She crossed her legs uncomfortably. "Oh, no -- not like that. I, or rather my employer, has some need for your particular set of...skills."

"And your employer is?"

"The Ghost of Christmas Yet to Come."

"Do I have a choice?" The man looked around him at his dank surroundings. "I see. What does Christmas Future want, then?"

"Unfortunately, I cannot discuss that here at this time," Nick said, unlocking the door. As it opened, she stepped clumsily towards it, her hands still manacled behind her back. "I must apologize for any momentary discomfort," he said with a smirk on his face as two men, previously conceiled in the darkness beside the cell door, grabbed her roughly around the torso and forced a black bag over her face. She tried to struggle, but there was a sudden and sharp pain on the back of her neck and a flash of white in the blackness, then nothing.

She awoke, dazed and bleary-eyed in a room. She found it hard to breathe. She couldn't make heads or tails of her surroundings -- if only it would stop spinning. She made to feel the spot she felt throbbing on the back of her head, but she realized her hands were bound with rope in front of her. Looking down, she realized that she was now clad in a rather exquisite satin dress. She then realized that her difficulty breathing was not because of any injury, so far as she could tell, but from the corset she realized she was wearing -- it not a garment she was used to wearing. She tried to say something, but all that came out was something that sounded like "Hrngh-huhgh-nn." The room spun even more -- she nearly retched, though she swallowed the little bit that came up.

"Glad to see you are awake, Miss Beaumont," said a voice from across the room. She saw the high back of an ornate armchair -- all she could see of the man seated in it was a few grey wisps of smoke trailing up from the other side of its red and gold back. "My, do you clean up nicely, I must say."

"Piss off," she spat.

"Now, now, is that a way to thank the man who set you free?" She glared at the back of his seat. "You see, I've a job for you to do for me. Of course, you can always go back to your cell, Miss Beaumont."

"That's Captain Beaumont to you, knob head."

"No need to be so hostile, Captain." She could hear the tobacco cackling as he took another puff, exhaling another cloud of smoke. "Do we have a deal, then, Captain Beaumont?"

"Depeneds on what the job is, doesnt' it?"

"I suppose so," he replied. "But this is the sort of job that you can't go on living if you know about it, which makes this moment decision time."

"Get on with it, then."

"I doubt you would have heard on your...holiday...that the nations of Amplector had banded together to construct quite a marvel of engineering -- a continental rail line connecting all the nations of Amplector, with a western line extending all the way across Valoria to Voerdeland."

"What has that got to do with me?"

"Well, this new rail line was supposed to ease trade between the East and the West. Vjiay, though...Vjiay has proved nothing more than an obstructive presence between Fanaglia and Voerdeland. Inter-continental trade via rail is just simply not economically viable at present."

"So you want me to do something about Vjiay?"

"No -- I want you to do something about Voerdeland. If we could control Voerdeland, the savings and even profit would offset the cost of going the traditional route by sea around Vjiay.

"President Kitshoff is nearing the end of his term. His nation is poor, his people are starving. This railroad could have been what that poor nation needed to pull itself out of the dark ages. That doesn't change the fact, however, that it has been four years since construction began, his people have yet to see any benefit from it, and his investment has left his nation bankrupt. The people are fed up -- they just need someone to lead them."

"Yeah? Well, why do I have to be the one to lead them?" She spat.

"Because, if they led themselves, the regime they establish may not be so friendly to Western influence."

"So why don't you lead them?"

"I am currently tied up with several business ventures here at home. Besides, I've seen the way you work -- removing Governor Allan the way you did, taking that little island all for your own."

"My entire crew is either dead or missing," she said, darkly.

"I can provide you with a new crew -- one with professional training. Captain Beaumont, working for me will make you a very rich woman."

"You think Dehui was about money!? I knocked over Dehui because of curs like you. You come in, you take everything for yourself, and you leave nothing for those you exploit. And Autumn," she said the name with pronounced disgust, "she protects parasites like you! Why would I ever want to help you, or Fanaglia?"

"Because if you don't, you die right here, right now," he said. She watched a pale, old hand emerge from behind the seat back, held in it a revolver, the gunmetal glinting in the dim light of the room.

"Who's to say that I don't just disappear once I've reached Voerdeland, or expose your plans to the BNI?"

"Your new crew will ensure that will not happen, love. Once your mission is complete, you may do as you wish. However, should you prefer, I could use a director to oversee operations in the region. You are under no obligation to accept, but once you've grown accustomed to the luxury, I do not believe you will decline."

It seemed she had little choice. She would have to find a way to escape another time. "When do I leave?"

"Splendid," he said. "Right...now," as he said it, a strong hand came from behind her and forced a damp rag over her face. She realized what it was, but not before gasping in surprise -- and it was too late. Seconds later, the room blurred and the world was black again.

Orstaf Hall,
Beaufort, Voerdish Free State
31 December, 1889
05:19 Local Time

In the wee hours of New Year's Eve, President Alexander Kitshoff lie asleep in bed with his wife, having been looking forward to that night's celebrations when he turned in the night before. His slumber was rudely disturbed when a member of his Secret Service burst into his bedchamber, his service revolver drawn. "President Kitshoff! Are you all right?"

"Urgh, I was," he grumbled. "What's the matter?"

"It's the Vice President, sir! He's been murdered!"

"Murdered?"

"Yes, sir. He disappeared sometime last night and we've only just found him."

"Show me."

"Yes, sir!"

Freedom Square,
31 December, 1889
05:31 Local Time

"Has anyone else seen this?" President Kitshoff asked as he stood shivering in the bitter-cold morning air, still clad in his nightshirt, with only a topcoat and fur hat to keep him warm while the snow blew past his bare calves. Vice President Willis sure presented him and his Secret Service quite a grisly sight. A length of barbed wire was coiled around his neck like a noose, hanging from the Fountain of Hope, which itself appeared intimidating and foreboding when it was turned off for the winter. His eyelids had been removed, a layer of frost covering his bare eyes, lending an eerie effect, like he was staring through you. A single word was roughly carved into his chest: "Retribution."

"No, sir. We have cordoned off the area."

"Then get him down, immediately."

"Yes, sir."

Orstaf Hall,
1 January, 1890
15:21 Local Time

Kitshoff sat contemplatively as he had his afternoon tea. Last night's celebrations were far from celebratory. Whoever had done that horrible deed to Willis had brought along a photographer, it seemed. The previous afternoon, it had come to his attention that hundreds -- perhaps even thousands -- of leaflets had been secretly distributed amongst the public. They featured a woodcut depicting the scene and the words "THE TIME TO END STARVATION IS NOW. KITSHOFF'S WASTEFUL AND SELFISH SPENDING IS STARVATION."

Tensions amongst his constituents had already been high, which was why he had already ordered extra security for the New Year's celebration in the Square. After what had happened to Willis, that security was further increased. The celebration began peacefully, until a woman and a group of men assaulted some of the guards. The guards were forced to open fire and absolute chaos broke out. Hundreds of civilians were killed before they managed to overtake the guards they outnumbered. They wrestled their rifles from them and began murdering guards right there in the Square. It wasn't until the 104th Cavalry arrived that they dispersed. Now the city was locked down by the army and was kept under martial law. Ofcourse, this did little to assuage the rage of the Voerdish public. The entire city of Beaufort was one, great, ticking time bomb.

Somewhere in the taiga south of Mewich, Voerdish Free State
12 February, 1890
01:13 Local Time

The light from the fire danced orange on Capt. Beaumont's face as she sat around the fire with her men. Her campaign against Voerdeland, both the propaganda and the military, was going surprisingly smoothly. The Voerdish Army had attacked the small fishing village of Pefalls to the west, on suspicion of harboring rebels. It was an absolute massacre. As it turned out, though, the village was populated primarily by the ethnic followers of the Mishmahigian sect of Christianity; it was probably not an intentional act of genocide, but it took little effort on Beaumont's part to frame it as such. She now had the unwavering support of Mishmahigian Christians across the nation.

The capital, Beaufort, was too hot to tackle at the moment, fortified with heavy artillery and cavalry, but after the rebellion's destruction of a section of the Continental Railroad that connected eastern Voerdeland to her western half, all communication, resources, and reinforcements had been disrupted -- the nation was essentially divided in half, ripe for the conquering.

Now, they were preparing to move on the port city Mewich, where there was a large weapons cache for them to seize. The city would be well-protected, but not as well as it would have been; some of Beaumont's forces were keeping them distracted by hitting light targets in the vicinity of the capital. She also had some several hundred men there in the woods with her -- and countless supporters in the city. "Jacqueline Beaumont" had already become a household name across the nation.

She looked back through the squatty trees at her latest gift from her "benefactor": a massive FCT T-Class airship. Though she preferred her old, more nimble Fox-Class Evans ship, the T-Class carried an essence of intimidation. This particular one, too, carried a large payload of kerosine.

Skies over Mewich, Voerdish Free State
12 February, 1890
09:29 Local Time

Capt. Beaumont looked down upon the city of Mewich. She watched as her forces emerged quietly from the forest and entered the city, forming a line gradually moving through the city blocks towards the docks. From her altitude, she could still see shutters closing as the men and women moved through the streets, which were deserted, save for a few dozen more supporters leaving their homes to join the fight. It didn't take long before the army noticed their approach.

Capt. Beaumont positioned her ship over the enemy forces while her crew signaled to those below to inform them of the enemy's position and strength: 500 or so infantry, about 70 mounted, 9 cannons. Voerdeland, fortunately, possessed no air force.

She and her crew, the eye in the sky, informed the ground forces to divide, with the larger of their numbers moving around to flank. The smaller frontal-assault team began to engage the Voerdish Army in a volley of fire, before the cavalry charged. It was then that the kerosine was released, setting the streets and a good portion of the military forces ablaze. The ship began to lose altitude in the smoke and Beaumont was forced to retreat, but through the billowing blackness, she could see the rest of her forces move in to surprise the shocked soldiers, seizing without much trouble their cannons. It was not long before the whole of the army defense corps stationed in Mewich had their hands up in surrender.

Mewich City Hall
Mewich, Voerdish Free State
19 August, 1890
13:05 Local Time

With the seizure of the port, supplies began arriving from Fanaglia -- weapons, ammunition, horses, construction materials, medicine, and, most importantly, food and water. The company that brough them in was a "non-profit humanitarian" organization, operating under the name of Black Shield. Jacqueline Beaumont was sure the company was bogus, but it was clever all the same. The city of Mewich, as well as most of eastern Voerdeland, had been restored to nearly normal. Better, in fact, as the people were now no longer starving.

Beaufort, however, was another story. Seized cannons and howitzers were shipped by rail towards the capital, which had been under seige since March. Beaumont was expecting a surrender any day, though.

"Miss Beaumont," said a voice from behind her. She turned on him quickly, revolver drawn -- she had meant to be alone and was sure she had locked the door. He stood in the shadows, so she could not see his face.

"Captain Beaumont. Who are you? And how did you get in here?"

"You don't remember me, Captain? I'm hurt. You are where you are because of me, after all."

"Chrsitmas Future," she kept her weapon leveled on him.

"Yes," he said calmly, not moving. "You've done well, Captain Beaumont. Black Shield now controls business in most of the east coast of Voerdeland and her grasp of the area will only grow with time. All that remains is Beaufort, which I'm sure will fall soon." He laughed a dark laugh. "Do you remember our deal, Captain?"

"Yes. You said that after everything was done, I could be the new governor if I wished."

"No, Captain Beaumont, not governor. We will let the Voerdish believe they can govern themselves, as before. Of course, when Black Shield owns everything, their little government will have no real power. No, if you choose, you may be the regional director of Black Shield."

"Whatever. I have given it some thought. I know you people aren't to be trusted. These people trust Black Shield because Black Shield offers them security and food and, for once, happiness. But how long will that last? One can never tell with you people." The note of disgust was heavy in her tone. "You will only provide for them as long as it continues to benefit your bottom line." She paused a moment. "If you swear to me that I will be able to continue to do what is truly best for these people, regardless of your bottom line, then I'll...accept." She felt as if she were making a deal with the Devil. Perhaps she was.

"You have a deal...Director," he said, with powerful emphasis on the last word.

"And if you ever betray that promise, I swear, I will find out who you are. I will find you. And I will kill you." With a flick of the wrist, she hurled her lamp to the floor. It shattered with a great crash and the oil spewed flaming all over the polished mahogany floor. As the flames licked up, she tried to catch a glimpse of Christmas Future's face in the light. What she saw instead was an eerie white mask. He nodded calmly and strolled out of the room through the main door. She could have sworn she heard laughing.

It was hard to tell how long she looked on after Christmas Future had left her, but she eventually came to her senses when the calls of "Captain Beaumont! Captain Beaumont! Are you all right?" reached her ears.

Her eyes were watering from the smoke and her voice was hoarse. "Yes, I'm fine. Let's get out of here." It was too late to stop the fire -- half the room was engulfed in flames. The whole building would be ablaze in less than an hour. She staggered and her allies -- or, perhaps, rather her new employees, helped her out into the street as a tower of black smoke billowed up into the air. She heard the bells of the fire brigade, but she knew they would be too late.
Last edited by Fanaglia on Wed Mar 13, 2013 9:12 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Map Mistress of Vapor
Factbook
OOC: Fanaglia is a steampunk nation; whenever I post IC, I'm posting from 1886. That, or from some sort of weird time rift in which my characters don't realize they are in fact 127 years in the future.
Barringtonia wrote:Only dirty hippies ride bicycles, white supremacists don't ride bicycles EVER, although the Nazis did steal a lot of bicycles from the Dutch, but that was to use the steel to make TANKS!

Dumb Ideologies wrote:Jesus H. Christ on a jelly pogo stick of justice.

Dumb Ideologies wrote:NS forums are SUPERGOOGLE.

The power of dozens of ordinary humans simultaneously interrogating a search engine with slightly different keywords. I'm getting all teared up just thinking of the power.

Vitzenburg
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitzenburg » Tue Sep 11, 2012 10:44 pm

Vitzburg Palace
Vitzburg, Vitzenburg
30 August, 1890
9:13 Standard Time

The young Kaiserness Morgen I walks through the palace garden on her daily morning stroll. It is a time she reserves to clear her head before the days hectic routine... if it weren't for her councillor who routinely interrupts her with things he deems important that he reads from the national newspaper. Today was slightly different and just as she turned the corner around the large pine tree her great-grandfather had planted she was surprised to see the General Staff.

They all said their "Mein Kaiserness" or "My Kaiserness" from those of southern birth as the Kaiserness started to walk by them. This time was reserved for her own thought, and she wasn't going to make interrupting her easy.

Alfred von Tinksburg, Chief of Staff, went into step beside her and the rest followed suit behind them.

"Mein Kaiserness, there is something we must discuss, our embassy in Voerdeland has been destroyed. Hit by artillery fire five days ago."

Morgen stopped and turned to her Chief of Staff, "Why wasn't I told sooner?"

"We just found out, the staff returned last night." Alfred scratched the back of his head, "They could not get out of the city due to the siege, when it was decided they try to go and bribe their way out, a few stayed behind to burn sensitive documents."

"So they were killed then..." Morgen rubs one of her temples, "I thought we had sent a ship to retrieve them?"

"We did, but the Voerdelandian government had lost control of the Medale port by the time of it's arrival, and with the winter setting in the ship was forced to return to our waters."

"Why wasn't I told that?!"

One of the other staff members, Admiral George Nanncy, spoke up "Well Madam, we did not think it imperative to trouble you with it..." Morgen narrowed her eyes at the Admiral, he had always held a grudge against her for cutting the navy budget in half.

"Well, I suppose we should take some action then." Morgen said as she turned a corner that would take them back to the palace proper. The men following her nodded their heads. "Right now we can only condem the revolution. Before we take any action, it would be good to see what our neighbors think. Specifically Vjiay, due to their proximity to Voerdeland." Men nodded in agreement, Morgen could tell a few of them were eager to deploy those newfangled mechanized infantry that she had given the go ahead for a few months ago and wreak havoc in response.

She settled in her office to get started on the daily paperwork, most of the General Staff not even following her in, she bid farewell to the ones that did and they exited. All except one man, Andrew Binslinger, Chief of the newly established Vitzburgian Intelligence Service, or VIS for short.

"My Kaiserness, there's also another thing I wish to bring to your attention. When our ship reached the Medale port, it reported an influx of Fanaglian vessels. We looked into it, and if our hypothesis is correct, we believe the rebellion received an immense amount of their supplies from Fanaglia, or someone working out of the country at least."

Morgen looked at him hard, "That's a very big accusation, do you have proof other than you saw their ships in port?"

Andrew nodded and set a folder marked CLASSIFIED in bold red letters on the top, "Logbooks from the docks and also shipping manifests."

The Kaiserness picked up the folder and opened it, skimming some of the documents before asking, "How did you get this?"

Andrew smiled, "The VIS wasn't created to sit on our thumbs all day, My Kaiserness." He bowed respectfully and walked out, leaving Morgen to a hectic day of work.
Last edited by Vitzenburg on Wed Sep 12, 2012 11:41 am, edited 3 times in total.

Pavlostani
Senator

Founded: Jun 09, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pavlostani » Wed Sep 12, 2012 2:36 pm

26th regiment barracks
Milograd, Khamul
11 November 1890

"Men, Wolf Squad is all KIA." Said Commander Helgraf. "What?!" Cried Sergeant Anderson in disbelief. "On a routine border mission bordering Voerdeland went disastrous. Rioters got hold of weapons, and Wolf was overwhelmed." Helgraf said. "Bull! I knew men on that team, and they were the best!" Snapped Private Simkins. "The dictator is speaking with General Ward right now on action." Helgraf said.

Khamul Palace
Pavlostan Khamul
11 November 1890

"My lord, there was nothing we could do. Our embassy in Voerdeland has been burned, we've lost men on border patrols, we NEED to send in peacekeepers." General Ward said. "Employ a blockade." Dictator Pavel said. "But sir! The Great Armament is not complete, we need our ships to prepare for the assault on Oulen-" Ward began but Pavel cut him off. "Employ a blockade! And send the Bismark to ensure that the blockade works. The men of Voerdeland will receive no resources and eventually starve." Pavel said. "The Bismark?! That's just a prototype! It hasn't been tested in combat." Ward cried. "Then let's call this science." Pavel said. Ward called High Admiral Yuri. "Yuri. What forces are ready?" he asked. "The Armament is halfway complete." Yuri said. "Send what you have, and the Bismark to Voedeland, and ensure that nobody goes in, or out." Ward said.
Last edited by Pavlostani on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:21 am, edited 2,742,950,128,932 times in total

Mishmahig
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mishmahig » Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:17 pm

Evenstead, Dominion of Mishmahig
November 12th, 1890

The roar of the crowd was omnipresent and overwhelming. It echoed off the simple whitewashed buildings lining the streets, reflecting from the cobblestones, bouncing and resounding over and over again until it was magnified twenty times over. The sound buckled glass windows and raised ripples in the water of the fountain. This was the Square of Saint Lyrinia, the heart of Evenstead. Normally a place of calm and peace, where citizens could go to enjoy a leisurely stroll or enjoy a bite at the cafes that lined the plaza, it was now transformed beyond comprehension. Where once mothers had carried children, and gentlemen had walked discussing the news of the day, angry citizens swarmed, brandishing banners and shouting incoherent slogans. They were everywhere, on top of the fountain, hanging out of windows, screaming and shouting in the plaza itself. No matter where one looked, barely a square inch of the cobblestones below could be seen, so thick and numerous was the crowd.

Their anger, every iota of it, was focused on the ornate building that stood to one side of the plaza. Luxurious marble columns framed a elegant white building in the Classical style, which tall walls shielded it from the hustle and bustle of the modern world. It was a lovely building, by all standards, and it was also the Voerdelandian Embassy. The news had leaked out of Voerdeland, the news of the government massacre of Mishmahigian Christians, and the stories had stunned all of Mishmahig. However, their shock did not last long, and quickly turned to anger. Overnight, dozens of attacks were carried out against innocent Voerdelandian citizens in the streets, and the government, fearing an impending assault on the Voerdelandian Embassy, had barricaded the entrances to the building before the first protestors had arrived. Now, they stood, a crowd of several thousand people, filled with anger and above all, a desire for blood. Their way forward was blocked only by the thin line of Mishmahigian policemen, dressed in blue uniforms.

For several hours now, the crowd had been relatively quiescent, but no longer. A sudden flash of movement and color in a window of the embassy, and the crowd surged forward as one, seeing the object of their hatred. Their rage and hatred had been building for hours, and dam of self-restraint suddenly broke. At first, it was only a few members who stooped and picked up loose cobblestones, flinging them at the embassy windows, but their numbers grew and grew, until hundreds of cobblestones hit the embassy every minute, smashing windows and lamps. At the same time, the front line of the crowd surged forward as one, pushing against the policemen, pushing forward slowly but steadily. At last, one of the policemen fell to the ground, and a gap opened in the line. The scene seemed to freeze as the moment stretched on, protestors and policemen alike looking down at the fallen policeman. Finally, with an almighty roar, they redoubled their efforts, and protestors began to slip through the line, slowly at first, and then more and more until they formed a steady stream heading into the embassy, battering at the door.

Bursting into the embassy, the protestors roared through the house, swarming room after room, battering down door after door. From outside, all that could be heard was the occasional crunching of class or the hammering of wood, or the crash of breaking objects. A piano was thrown out the ground floor window, the ivory keys scattering across the pathway, as books and audiophones smashed into the ground beside them. Occasionally, the sounds of destruction were punctuated by screams and gunshots as the crowd found the Voerdelandian staff and proceeded to land blow after blow on them with any blunt instrument at hand, until they screamed no longer. However, as bad as this destruction, this violence was, there was worse yet to come. A gruesome scream originated from the main conference room, and grew louder and louder until at last the source became apparent. The Voerdelandian ambassador, a middle-aged man, appeared at the third floor window, manhandled by several rioters as dozens more crowded behind them, peering over their shoulders and shouting encouragement. The ambassador's powdered wig was askew, and his glasses hung limply, the lenses clearly broken, his bulging eyes staring out over the screaming crowd. His screams echoed over the plaza, momentarily silencing the roar of the crowd until, with almost no warning, his captors shoved him out the window.

His arms wheeling, he plummeted the three stories quickly, landing with an ominous crunching sound in the garden of his embassy. At this, a sense of stunned silence stole over the crowd, before being a renewed bought of cheering swept over them again. A few reckless members clambered the tiled roof towards the weathervane, tearing down the Voerdelandian insignia displayed there before tying a rudimentary Mishmahigian flag in its place.

As the ambassador stared sightlessly at the blue sky overhead, as the Voerdelandian embassy began to burn beside him, there was nothing but the roar of the wild and vicious crowd.

To: Voerdeland
Copy sent to all concerned nations.

President Kitshoff--

It has come to the attention of the House of Penitants, the representatives of the people and citizens of the Dominion of Mishmahig, that representatives from your government, a section known as the "Voerdish Army" attacked the village of Pefalls in the western area of your region. Your government suspected the village of harboring terrorists, and ordered that no quarter be given.

Unfortunately, the village of Pefalls was entirely innocent. Equally unfortunately, the orders of your soldiers did not allow for this situation, and your officers followed them blindly, brutally murdering every last man, woman, and child in the village, destroying entire families and burning the livelihoods of the people.

They were not terrorists, President Kitshoff. They were people. Innocent people, who lived and breathed and died in their village, caring nothing but for themselves, their family, and their God, and so they remained, until your soldiers massacred them. This, sir, is not an act of a civilized country, and borders on the verge of sheer inhumanity. To rob innocents of their God-given gift of life, to destroy something so beautiful, is to spit in the eyes of God and Man alike.

The people of Mishmahig cannot stand to bear such savagery, especially in light of our own history. For hundreds of years, Mishmahigian Christians were savagely persecuted across the Rothian Empire and the savage tribes to the East. Only in recent years have we been allowed to practice our religion in peace, integrated fully into our chosen communities. Your actions, sir, are therefore barbaric, uncivilized, and inhumane. With this in, the Dominion of Mishmahig hereby condemns the Voerdish Free State entirely, and revokes the recognition awarded the Voerdish Free State as a civilized country.

Elements of the Mishmahigian Frontier Air Force and the Naval Fleets have been dispatched to the Voerdish ports, to deliver peacekeeping forces in order to protect the remnants of the Mishmahigian Christians in the area. Should your government choose to continue the reign of terror it inflicted upon your people, we will initiate a full-scale evacuation of various persecuted groups, and take steps to end the regime of terror quickly.

Persuant to Mishmahigian laws, the House of Penitants have voted to seize all former assets of the Voerdish Free State within the Dominion of Mishmahig, to detain all Voerdelandian travelers, and to treat any Voerdelandian ships as pirates on the high seas. If the Voerdish Free State pretends to be a savage dog, then the Dominion of Mishmahig shall treat it as such. The Voerdish Free State shall be condemned in perpetuity, and the name darkened in the Mishmahigian annals of history. May the name of your country, and the name of your people, be damned by God for all eternity.

However, as horrific as the crimes committed by your nation were, we are also horrified by the reaction of the other nations in the world, specifically the nations of Vijiay and Fanaglia. More precisely, we are horrified by the simple lack of a response to the sheer brutality and savagery exhibited in the massacres of Mishmahigian Christians. We unofficially condemn these nations for failing to respond appropriately, and hope that they will join the Dominion of Mishmahig in condemning the actions of the former Voerdish Free State.

With the utmost contempt,
Archpriest Ferdinand Meza
Co-signed by every member of the House of Penitants
Last edited by Mishmahig on Wed Sep 12, 2012 10:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Vjiay
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vjiay » Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:05 am

Ministerial Quarters,
Upper House,
Urbaurum.

November 13th 1890

Matthew Wootton was mulling over the until-recently-sealed documents sent by high-security courier from Vitzenburg. It seemed legitimate and entirely what was not needed by the Vjiayans right now, the Parliament was already frozen with inaction. Throwing the fact that the Fanaglians were involved in the current crisis rubbed further salt in the wounds and there would be uproar in the Lower House come tomorrow morning. He looked at the large grandfather clock on the wall opposite. Actually, it turned out, it would cause uproar this morning, in about eight hours. The Foreign Minister had lost his appreciation of the time.

He slouched back into his chair, the rear of his head resting about half-way down the scarlet, high-backed chair. Removing his glasses, he pinched the bridge of his nose and closed his aching eyes momentarily.

He wasn’t, apparently, even allowed this momentary lapse, as a high shrill woke him from his reverie and the large mahogany door on the right wall burst open.

“Sir!” A young, short woman pranced into the room. Matthew has always found her gait quite annoying, “It’s a message from Mishma… Meshmi…”

The Foreign Minister sighed, “Mishmahig.” And held an open hand out. The secretarial assistant handed him a thin piece of brilliant white paper and, replacing his glasses, his eyes got back to work.

Lower House,
Parliament Square,
Urbaurum.

November 13th 1890

“We must act quickly to avoid an escalation of the crisis!” A shriek from somewhere in the active room was briefly heard, accompanied by a following chorus of ‘Hear, Hears!’ from similarly invisible ministers.

Aside from these brief outbursts, nothing much could really be heard above the cacophony of men shouted incoherently at each other with opinions that probably weren’t that different. Even the gavel took a dozen bangs before some form of order was restored.

Furiously, a man in a powdered wig more brilliant than any other stood up, “We are Ministers of the Vjiayan Parliament, arguably the finest institution of the world, yet you act like a nursery!” He bellowed, “If you do silence and listen to your Prime Minister and the Leader of the Opposition then I will be force to retire for the day and put you all on orders!”

The room was silent now. After a moments glaring, the man motioned for William Pelly to continue, before himself sitting down.

The now wizened Prime Minister nodded his thanks, before standing up and approaching his lectern. “Thank you, Honourable Lord of the Chamber.” He sorted out a few pieces of paper in front of him, managing to just about control the shake in his right hand, “Honourable Gentlemen, as I was saying, we cannot respond without finding out the particulars.”

Murmurs from the seats opposite him and an audible, “The particulars are that people are dying!”, though the perpetrator was quickly silenced and any others dissuaded of joining in by a piercing glance from the Lord of the Chamber.

William, however, allowed it to play to his advantage, “Indeed, people are dying, and no-one is more sorry of that fact than I am. However, if the Fanaglians are involved we can’t afford to go there without first asking for them to cease their actions, else we risk a far bigger crisis involved far more dire odds.”

The murmurs didn’t materialise this time and William continued, “It is my plan to wire a letter to the Fanaglian government asking them to cease any operations in the area, for the security of the region. If they refuse, then there will be an ultimatum sent, and we will ensure that it is clear that any action that defies us will result in hostility from us.”

A number of ‘Ayes!’ from behind him, even a few assenting nods from opposite.

“Now, with regards Mishmahig. They are fuelled by anger, as we would be if Vjiayans had been murdered to an extent that Mishmahigians have been in Voerdeland. Fortunately, I believe this will buy us time. We may be able to persuade them to hold off on their so-called ‘evacuation’, if we promise to have the situation neutralised in a good amount of time. If we can get the bodies of their killed, then all the better.”

As it was, despite the previous arguments which had resulted in bedlam, the Opposition accepted the governments actions as reasonable for that point of time.

William Pelly retired to a meeting room with his Cabinet, to pen the letter to Mishmahig himself.

He sat in the centre of the dark, smooth, mahogany table, in front of a large canvas painting that hung on the wall, famously depicting the Lower House in April 1567, when the bedlam had escalated to result in the beating of a Parliament member to death.

Silently and without instruction or discussion, he began.

Archpriest Meza

May I be the first to offer my condolences for the loss of your people to the violent crisis in the Former Voerdeland. It is a fate they did not deserve.

Despite this and, while I understand your desire to intervene and to avoid similar scenes on other innocent people, I cannot condone your response. Not only are you responding on your own soil in a way that is unacceptable, as the people that you are now persecuting are as innocent as the people you are vying for to avenge, you intend to add fuel to a fire in Voerdeland that is already raging. Sending armed troops as a result of the actions of a few, despicable Voerdeish soldiers does not present a threat, it presents a target and will only result in more bloodshed.

Your opinion of our reaction, on the other hand, is wholly understandable. We accept that we have been slow to react and are taking it upon ourselves to sort out the situation. However, you must realise that it is a delicate situation for us, being so close to our borders and so vital to our security.

Let it be known though, that we fully intend to intervene in the coming weeks when we have a detailed appraisal of the factions involved.

I therefore require that you hold off on your efforts until then, when we will attempt to aid your peoples’ and retrieve the bodies of your lost ones. Once we have a plan in place we will inform you of an appropriate timeline by which we will have achieved control of the region and you can act as you see fit when it doesn’t interfere with our operations.

Yours sincerely,

Prime Minister William Pelly on behalf of Her Majesty, The Rightful Queen of Vjiay, Olivia II.

This letter was copied out and wired, but also sent as a hard copy and bound by the seal of the Queendom.

Immediately, the group began working on the more hostile letter to Fanaglia. Oddly, it was actually much easier to write than the one to the Mishmahig leaders, as the intentions of Vjiay could be easily put down in relation to current Fanaglian operations in the area.

Queen Autumn and her necessary assistants, Fanaglia,

As you know the situation in the Former Voerdeland has been deteriorating rapidly.

It is now our concern that outside forces with abominable intentions are exploiting the situation for their own ends and this cannot be tolerated.

Intelligence forces of our own designs and the designs of our allies have discovered a link in such insidious operations to Fanaglia.

The Rightful Queendom of Vjiay now requires that the Kingdom of Fanaglia CEASE and DESIST from all their operations in the Former Voerdeland. If we have not had an assenting response from your government within the next seven days we will be forced to take matters into our own hands.

William Pelly,
Jointly Signed by the Cabinet of the Mandated Government.
Last edited by Vjiay on Thu Sep 13, 2012 5:07 am, edited 2 times in total.

Postmaster-General

Postby The Holy Dominion of Inesea » Thu Sep 13, 2012 6:44 am

Voerdeland

On board the refurbished FCT Flying Monitor-class Nerracca.

Captain Zheng He paced up and down the central gangway of the Nerracca. Around him, the crew bustled about with the menial task of recording and mapping the Nerracca’s progress. The Nerracca was a modified FCT Flying Monitor-class of Fanalglian design. The outside looked the same; however, careful inspection would reveal one change. The airship was about 5 meters longer than it should be. The interior of the ship was completely redone. The hydrogen lifting gas was kept; however, two helium envelopes were added in the extra space near the engines.. The envelopes each added 200 square meters of gas capacity. The two Nordenfelt guns on the undercarriage were replaced by 4 Quad-Vickers on sliding carriages on the starboard and port sides. They were arranged two on each side. The 2x 400kW ASW steam engines were replaced with 4x400kw Inesean Propulsion Incorporated Triple-Chambered Steam Engines. Much more efficient than simple, single chambered steam engines, the multi chamber design allowed for a more powerful output from a smaller engine. Developed only a year ago, only a few had been manufactured. The final change was the addition of two more propellers. These propellers were not your average propellers though. They were added to the bottom, back of the Nerracca but were fitted on a slide. This would theoretically allow more direction control.

Zheng He had commanded the Nerracca since her maiden voyage, two years ago. He knew every part of her, and all of her small crew of 7. Last week, they had been dispatched north at the bequest of the High Aristocra himself. They were to inspect the Voerdish border and look for signs of intrusion by foreign nationals. If none were found, they were to proceed to the Capital of Beaufort and petition the government to end the oppression.
Last edited by The Holy Dominion of Inesea on Sat Oct 06, 2012 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'm really tired

Gratia Infinita
Envoy

Founded: Aug 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Gratia Infinita » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:38 am

Beaufort, Squatter's Section, Mission of the Merciful Father

"Benedicat te Dominus Deus tuus, et conservat te a malo et tentatione..." The Brother had only just began the last rites when the man expired, his bowels emptying, filling the room with the metallic scent of sudden death, the just-bandaged wounds reopening and fouling the linen bedsheets. Controlling the urge to gag, the young priest covered the still-warm corpse with the blanket and stepped back, saying a silent prayer for the man's soul. He did not wait long. There were many dying here. Some from riots, and some from the extreme effects of starvation, their bodies pushed beyond recovery. The brothers gave the hungry to eat, and to drink, even forgoing their own sustenance, but many of the wretches who trickled into the mission were too far gone. Then there were others, battered, bleeding, sometimes mutilated beyond recognition of humanity. The victims of riots, of Voerdish troops, banditry. The brothers, and their sister nuns, both married and single*, offered the best medical help they could. Sometimes they saved lives. But the tide of dead was beginning to overwhelm even the most experienced in the mission.

Abbot Petrus Campanus Gratii glanced over at the newspaper and sighed. Beaufort was cut off, and likely soon to fall. Thousands were starving, and thousands more were caught up int he violence that swept town and countryside.

“Lamb of God, pierced for our transgressions, have mercy upon this land and its people. Mary, pierced with sorrows, intercede now and in the hour of our death. Holy Spirit, restrain the wicked deeds of wicked men. Teach us peace, Oh Lord.”

Half an hour later, his message relaying the current state of things was on its way to a secret wireless telegram station.

Gratia Infinita, Mariana, Chambers of the Ordo Unitatis

The thin man was blandly nondescript, even in the formal robes of his office. He had attained his position by being the best at being unnoticeable, and even now, when his agency represented one of the most important assets the Councilium Ordis Unitatis possessed, he blended into the background bustle like a chameleon, and many of the council-members had to strain to keep their attention riveted on him.

“...and in Voerderland, the situation continues to deteriorate. Rebel forces have blocked off the capital, which is itself ripe for the fall. They may be supplied by outside forces, our sources remain uncertain. Needless to say, the suffering there is immense. The current President is very unpopular, and riots are now commonplace. Bandits make the countryside dangerous. Inesea and Cyprum Xecuii already have their fingers in the pot, as does Vijay. We will need to act quickly if the country is to be saved. If it can be salvaged.”

“Yes, thank you Magister Marcus.” Magister Caius Pontificus Junii’s voice resonated in the chamber. “Councilmembers, the need for swift resolution is dire. What approach shall we take to the Voerderland problem?”

The seven Magisteri were quiet. Then one, a woman, stood to speak. “Magisteri. Brothers and sisters. Our calling seems clear to me. We should seek what is best for the people of Voerderland. Call for a cease-fire between the rebels and the government. Institute elections so that the voices of the people may be heard. If necessary, send troops to keep the forces of the world out, and to maintain the sovereignty of the nation. If we succeed in this course, we will have gained a powerful ally in the region, and much suffering will be averted.”

Caius nodded at her and she sat serenely, her robes draping gracefully in the thronelike granite chair of a Magister.

“Does the full Council agree with Serena’s proposition?”

No dissenting voice rang out, and Caius nodded acquiescently to Magistra Serena. She smiled slightly.

“The task is in your hands, then, Serena. May the strength of the Lord encompass you and go before you in this matter. Obey His voice.”

Beaufort, President's Palace

Desiderius Laudatus Ventii strode determinedly from the taxi, up the stairs of the president’s palace, the three discretely armed guards of his personal escort closing around him, their eyes alertly scanning the street, the marble portico, their hands hovering near the butts of their revolvers beneath their dark woolen coats. The soldiers on guard duty waved them in when he displayed his credentials, and he came into the President’s office.

“President Kitshoff. My government has empowered me to provide assistance in negotiating a cease-fire with the rebel forces. Even now, our negotiators are approaching the rebel command to broker a peace. The desire of the Concilium of Gratia Infinita is to maintain a sovereign Voerderland. The only way to do that, Mr. President, appears to be through achieving peace and holding elections. The voice of the people should be heard. To this end, the Concilium offers humanitarian aid, beyond what the Ordo Unitatis has already authorized, and military aid against any power bold enough to violate your borders. What say you?”

Fanaglia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fanaglia » Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:31 pm

Palace Evander
14 November, 1890
09:34 Local Time

A recently-empty bottle of brandy stood watch over Queen Autumn and Miss Alans, who were in one of Her Majesty's offices, discussing the rather sticky and complicated situation with Voerdeland. They had until recently only been aware of vague rumors of civil unrest and, the Fanaglian policy being to intervene in foreign affairs only in the event of human rights violations, it was not a major concern. The trouble with Vjiay had greatly overshadowed what little concern there was regarding Voerdeland and, with the Vjiayans obstructing trade to the East already, it had little affect on the Fanaglian economy, anyway.

But now, the Mishmahigans had come forward with allegations of human rights violations by Kisthoff's administration and condemnation of Fanaglia for her lack of intervention. Then, like clockwork, the Vjiayans accused Fanaglia of aiding the rebels, followed by a threat of violence should they not cease and desist.

"The whole world is all sixes and sevens!" Queen Autumn despaired. "What is this of Fanaglian operations in Voerdeland?"

"I have no idea, Your Highness; this is the first I've heard of it, as well."

"What shall we do?"

"Well, we cannot let Mr. Pelly and his cronies bully us around. Have General Orsino send in a team to investigate the situation -- to find out if there have, in fact, been human rights violations, as Archpriest Meza has asserted, and, more importantly, find out who, if anyone, is supporting the rebels without your knowledge."

"I do detest that William Pelly."

"Aye," Miss Alans agreed.

To Archpriest Ferdinand Meza:

I must apologize, for Fanaglia has had many pressing matters of state to deal with at home which has possibly distracted her from investigating the matter of Voerdeland fully. Apart from the occasional report of unrest, admittedly little is known of the situation there. It is Fanaglian policy not to become involved in foreign affairs unless proof of the violation of human rights therein has been furnished. If your rather shocking accusation is in fact true, then Fanaglia shall gladly support your nation in defending those in question. A small RAS detachment has been deployed to investigate the matter further. Please do keep us updated.

May the wind be always at your back,
Autumn, Queen of the Kingdom of Fanaglia

Mr. Pelly,

I can assure you that I have no 'abominable intentions' regarding Voerdeland, nor have I any knowledge of any 'insidious operations' therein. It is not Fanaglian foreign policy to intervene in a sovereign nation's affairs, except in the event of human rights violations, of which, at this point, there is insufficient evidence to support. I hereby disavow any outside support entering Voerdeland; any operations conducted in that territory are done without my knowledge or approval.

I have far more important matters at hand to deal with in my own nation, such as the economy you have jeopardized by obstructing the wonderful feat of engineering that is the Continental Railroad. Should you wish to discuss this far more pertinent matter, rather than cloud the issue with false accusations, I shall be waiting.

Orstaf Hall,
15 November, 1890
21:04 Local Time

President Kitshoff sat in his office, his haggard, unshaven face looking well beyond his true years, his eyes tired and staring. The dancing orange glow from the once-beautiful capital city played on his face through the drawn curtains as several of her buildings continued to burn. The room was silent aside from the sound of the dull roar of the rioting crowds that only just carried through the glass, which was perforated once in a while by the deep rumble of artillery fire from both sides of the ancient wall that still surrounded the city. It was a miracle the Mishmahigan dispatch even reached him at all.

"If the Voerdish Free State pretends to be a savage dog, then the Dominion of Mishmahig shall treat it as such. The Voerdish Free State shall be condemned in perpetuity, and the name darkened in the Mishmahigian annals of history. May the name of your country, and the name of your people, be damned by God for all eternity," it read. It seemed the entire world had forsaken him. The savage irony of it all was that he had heard that the people had elected a new, temporary president. If only they had waited until next year; his term would have been up and they could have simply elected someone more to their liking. Now he was instead the face of evil, falsely accused of genocide and blamed for all the faults of the fair nation of Voerdeland.

He removed his revolver from his desk and examined it. Its weight seemed a great, heavy burden, the metal cold and cruel as it caught the burning-city light from the window. If, or rather, when he lost the fight to maintain control, the rebels would have him hanged -- that was if he was lucky. Dishonorable as it was, he could attempt to flee and live in exile abroad, but the chances of success were slim. This little piece of engineering was no less dishonorable, but it was far easier. It was quick. It was painless.

Just then, there was a knock at the door. "Come in," he said, weakly. He remained standing behind his desk and still clutched his gun in his hand, though the weapon was obscured in the shadows from the visitors.

“President Kitshoff. My government has empowered me to provide assistance in negotiating a cease-fire with the rebel forces. Even now, our negotiators are approaching the rebel command to broker a peace. The desire of the Concilium of Gratia Infinita is to maintain a sovereign Voerderland. The only way to do that, Mr. President, appears to be through achieving peace and holding elections. The voice of the people should be heard. To this end, the Concilium offers humanitarian aid, beyond what the Ordo Unitatis has already authorized, and military aid against any power bold enough to violate your borders. What say you?”

"A cease-fire, you say? Gentlemen, I am sorry to disappoint you, but I do not believe that the rebels will rest, so long as I am alive." He sighed. He walked slowly to the window and looked upon the city once more. "You are welcome to try, but I am done trying. I won't be able to accompany you in your negotiations." He turned to his visitors again and uttered the Voerdish national motto: "Freedom, Equality, and Independence." In his mind, the words felt appropriate, but the way they came out, they sounded hollow, dark. They would have to do. With no further ceremony, he raised the gun to his temple, closed his eyes tightly, and pulled the trigger. Time seemed to slow down as his thoughts were sent flying onto the panes of the window, shortly before his limp form tumbled into and through them, falling four stories amongst a rain of shattered glass and blood into the icy bay.

OOC: No time to write the third part right now, but I was planning on doing a post from Beaumont's POV and describing the establishment by the rebels of a new Congress and a new interim president. I'll get to it later, I promise :)
Last edited by Fanaglia on Thu Sep 13, 2012 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Map Mistress of Vapor
Factbook
OOC: Fanaglia is a steampunk nation; whenever I post IC, I'm posting from 1886. That, or from some sort of weird time rift in which my characters don't realize they are in fact 127 years in the future.
Barringtonia wrote:Only dirty hippies ride bicycles, white supremacists don't ride bicycles EVER, although the Nazis did steal a lot of bicycles from the Dutch, but that was to use the steel to make TANKS!

The power of dozens of ordinary humans simultaneously interrogating a search engine with slightly different keywords. I'm getting all teared up just thinking of the power.

Pavlostani
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pavlostani » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:38 pm

Ussin, Khamul
1st Air Guard Barracks
Approximately one year prior to Voerdeland Crisis

"And so, as a sign of our nation coming out of isolation, we have traded with our neighbors, to this end result. He unveiled the wall behind him and lo! There was a gleaming airship, the first the nation had ever seen. "The Ascension Class Airship, a ship well suited for civilian travel, and for military purposes." Said High Admiral Yuri. The airship would never see combat service, until Sergeant Bates first stepped aboard it.
Ussin, Khamul
Airship docking bay
20 November, 1890

Staff Sergeant Bates was shocked by the news. The Voerish had slain several of his comrades, and burned the embassy. "General!" He radioed. The General's crackly voice came through the device in response. "Yes?" He asked. "We need to attack Voerdeland. For revenge." Bates said. "Son, the Dictator won't let us, and there is no easy way to get there." The General said. Bates looked over his shoulder at the airship. "Fuck the dictator, there is a simple way." He said. All units. Unauthorized airship launch detected.
Pavlostan Khamul
Khamul Palace
Same date

"Dictator, a rogue element has taken followers and an airship, and is heading to murder innocent Voerish." Said Alberto Milanvanzi, the Dictator's aide. "Names?" Dictator Pavel VII asked. "Sergeant Bates, Private Buckley, Private Clemens and Private Wheaton." Milanvanzi said. "Send a telegram to Voerdeland. They need to be warned." Pavel said with urgency.
Code: Select all
To Voerish Government
From Dictator Pavel:
Dear President,
      An airship, codenamed Bravo has been sent to your nation. It contains hostile forces, who you are to deal with. We will be sending in teams to search for him, but we have no way of tracking the airship. We expect the full cooperation of your people, as this is a matter of your safety, and we wish to recover our property. We will take the insurgents dead or alive.
Last edited by Pavlostani on Wed Feb 14, 2018 8:21 am, edited 2,742,950,128,932 times in total

Postmaster-General

Postby The Holy Dominion of Inesea » Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:57 pm

Voerdeland
On board the Nerracca
“Bring us hard to port” commanded Zheng He. The Nerracca abruptly turned to the port, narrowly missing the steeple. The Nerracca had finished surveying the border sector it was assigned a day ago and was now heading towards Beaufort. Unfortunately, a massive fog had set in, and was playing havoc with the visuals and altimeter. It was getting to the point where Nerracca almost clipped a steeple. “Release ballasts tanks A and D. Set the incline flaps to 35%” ordered Zheng. The Nerracca was equipped with 6 ballast tanks, 3 to each side. Now, the fore tanks on each side let loose their loads of ballast. The effect of that was the Nerracca jetting skywards. The incline plains controlled the rise, keeping the Nerracca from going straight up. After 4 minutes of ascent, the Nerracca broke free from the fog mass. The altimeter put their height at 750 meters. Below them, Zheng could just see the city of Medale. From the looks of it, the rebels had the upper hand here, and were simply shelling the city to pieces. Suddenly, the Comms officer, Ensign Lawry, shouted, “Captain, Dorsal Emplacement 2 reports three unidentified airships approaching us.” “Prepare to go to 90% full” said Zheng, “And signal them, tell them that we are friendlies.”
Last edited by The Holy Dominion of Inesea on Thu Sep 13, 2012 2:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'm really tired

Vitzenburg
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Vitzenburg » Thu Sep 13, 2012 4:15 pm

Vitzburg Palace
Vitzburg, Vitzenburg
20 November, 1890
14:00 Standard Time

Kaiserness Morgen I sat under a small pavilion on a small hill looking out over a muddy field, hidden from the palace by a line of trees and bushes. The Testing Field, as it was called, is traditionally only used to showcase new inventions to the nobility of Vitzenburg when they seem worthy enough to fund. Today however, Morgen was watching the 1st Mechanized Infantry, an answer to the metal monsters other nations refer to as "Tanks" or "Gun Tractors" The first suit, a crude prototype of what Morgen saw on the field today, was actually built by a tractor mechanic in his spare time. The decision to continue development was one of Morgen's fathers last decisions before his mind slowly slipped away.

She watched idly as the hulking forms did drills in the muddy field, taking turns shooting at targets, maneuvering an obstacle course specifically made for them. Her thoughts were on the now deceased President Kitshoff who was a good friend of her fathers and even present at his funeral. Morgen had considered going to his funeral, but it would have been near impossible. She brought her attention back to the field for a few seconds, watching one of them tear apart different materials that would be found in a combat zone, wood, brick, concrete, steel.

She yawned and stood up, signalling she had seen enough to the nobility who sat around her. They too started standing while the 1st Mechanized Infantry formed into ranks and filed back towards the carts that brought them there. Before anyone can gain her attention though, the Kaiserness quickly steps out to her coach. She can't help but feel the lack of action on her part contributed to the death of former President Kitshoff.

Vitzburg Palace
Vitzburg, Vitzenburg
20 November, 1890
Later that night

Morgen sits in her offices, tapping her pen against the blank sheet of paper. She hasn't written many letters to other heads of state and was having a difficult time starting. After an hour of thinking, she finally got to writing.

To all Amplectorian nations

I can no longer sit aside and watch as the nations of the East begin to pick apart Voerdeland when it is in such a fragile state. In the best interest of the people, action must be taken in order to prevent anymore senseless violence from all parties.

I propose that we set up an international coalition, creating a force to ensure peace in the region until it can be restored. Whether it be through a peaceful diplomacy or force.

Also creating a tribunal to investigate any of the accusations that have been thrown around. One of the first should be to investigate whether Fanaglia is truly innocent of supplying the rebels with weapons and supplies. I do believe there is more to the supposed massacre of Mishmahig Christians, mistakes are made in these situation. Yet, my assumptions are assumptions, and that is why we need to look into these events and discover the truth among the lies.

Those who agree, please respond soon, Voerdeland's people cannot wait.

Kaiserness Morgen I of the Kingdom of Vitzenburg

She quickly sealed the first missive and began work on the second one. A matter this important can not simply be copied to convey the urgency.

Servoth
Senator

Founded: Nov 30, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Servoth » Thu Sep 13, 2012 8:02 pm

Grand Palace of the State, Imperia, Central Servoth, the Servothian State
November 22nd, 1890
8: 22 Central time

A circle of Servothian government officials sat around a great table, in the middle of such table was a brass globe and where the capital of Servoth was an engraved eagle looking over to its' right. And at one end of the table between and behind two officials was a podium from which the Kaiser stood behind. His name was Kaiser Heinz Krouss IX, and so far the meeting which had began about 45 minutes ago, only silence had been since the start.

Above the globe, hung a note on a hook suspended from the ceiling, it was the letter sent from Vitzenburg by Kaiserness Morgen I, of whom shared no relation to the Kaiser of Servoth, but a letter nevertheless. It was the cause of the silence that pestered the room, it had called for peace in order to restore Voerdeland, but the State wanted action, they wanted something more than a perpetually sleeping Servoth. They had wanted the State to step up and be active in international relations.

"Burn that accursed peice of silence and mediocrity. We have sent a man to arrest Voerdeland and place that state under our control, but that will never happen if we listen to this paper. For years we have stood back in ignorance and have always turned a blind eye to events that even required our attention. Such as that stupid continental railroad! One day workmen cross into our glorious nation and have a building contact for a rail line. And we said nothing about it, we never approved of it, yet it was built there. And so now is our chance to do something more, to gain a bit of power and respect that our State deserves. Soon Voerdeland will belong to us!" The Kaiser said, his voice raising and lowering in emphasis to his words. The Kaiser had sent a dictator to gather around the Voerdeland people and raise that man up into power and then make the failing nation a possession of the Servoth Federal Empire.

<><><><><>

the Railroad just outside Voerdeland, Zhao
November 23rd, 1890
19: 45 Central time

A signature Servoth Governmental train steamed through the land scape, the smoke stack slanted backwards giving it a look so recognizable; however a luxury government zeppelin followed behind the train incase something happened that could stop foward movement of the engine. Inside the reading car of the steamer train set two men. One Jekyl Franx, the future great dictator of Voerdeland, and the second, Doctor Louis Von Stadt, Jekyl's adviser. The two men talked about the two week long train ride to the the failing nation, one full of delays and track mishaps. "I have yet to understand why the Kaiser had chosen me to go to that disgusting shamble of a State; it is full of disease, poverty, and starvation, I'd rather not have to deal with that bullshit, Louis," Jekyl complained to his adviser.

"Because the State and our leader wish to be part of the international community! To make a name for our glorious nation, to allow us to be on top of the world, if only for a second!" The Doctor replied, trying to make the soon to be dictator happier about the possibility of being a leader. But neither knew weither they had a chance in taking Voerdeland with the other nations of Amplector and even some of Zhao competing for the same thing. All they could when they arrived was make speeches, give out flyers and guides "to live under the Servothian Government", and possibly start a riot or two.
How did I get this gay?

Mishmahig
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Mishmahig » Thu Sep 13, 2012 10:17 pm

House of Penitants
Evenstead, Mishmahig

Second paragraph, Penitant Orem and Hark

A quarter of the way across the world, a scene similar to the Lower House of the Servothian Parliament was occuring in the House of Penitants. The normally subdued and quiet chamber, where Penitants discussed the matters facing Mishmahig, was now a scene of chaos and noise. Everywhere one looked, dozens of Penitants faced off against each other, shouting and arguing at the top of their lungs. Fists slammed against desks and hands gestured in the air as each representative made their case, only to be drowned out by another a few seconds later. The room roiled with barely constrained emotion as factions clashed and withdrew only to clash again a few minutes later. Fierce words and heated rhetoric flew back and forth from group to group, while alliances were drawn and redrawn over and over in the span of a few minutes. At the front of the room, standing near the podium, was the Superindendant of the Navy and the Councilor of the Foreign Office. The two men, there to present an update on the Voerish Free State, had been the subject of hurled insults and dozens of urgent queries. The Penitants, smelling weakness and insecurity, had pressed on a thousand different tangents, switching topics with extreme speed, battering the men with pointed barbs and questions.

Even as the scene at the front of the room ocurred, an even more dramatic event was about to unfurl. It began with the Penitant Orem, representative from the East, making a comment about the Voerish Free State to Penitant Hark from the North. After the day was finished, no one could remember what the comment was, but all of them could remember the response. Upon hearing Penitant Orem's comment, Penitant Hark was reported to have nodded gravely a few times before raising his cane and striking Penitant Orem in the face multiple times with great force. The sudden onslaught of physical violence briefly stunned the assembled Penitants, before they suddenly exploded, a mirror image of the crowd that had destroyed the Voerish embassy a week prior. Instantly, smiles turned to snarls as all friendships were forgotten, each Penitant seeking only to attack the other side. Papers flew everywhere, and pews scraped the floor as the room turned into a brawl. As the younger Penitants waded into the conflict with fists flying, the elderly representatives began scurrying to the entrance, seeking a respite from the violence. The first few had just reached the doors when they creaked open slowly, pulled from the outside.

As the bright light of the setting sun filled the room, blinding the assembled Penitants, the few who squinted and shaded their eyes could make out a man, a tall man dressed in blue robes. Escorted by a squad of Mishmahigian soldiers, their grey colors subdued by the weapons they carried, he took a casual step forward. And then another, and another, his shoes clacking noisily against the stone floors of the room. Coming to a sudden stop, he clasped his hands in front of him, and looked directly forward, staring calmly at the far wall. The minutes ticked on, as the silence continued, and the Penitants began to fidget nervously. At last, he spoke, his voice carrying to the far corners of the room.

"What," he said, "is going on here?" At his words, the Penitants erupted into a clamor, each group striving to shout their version of the events, while wildly insisting that the other stories were mistaken. The noise grew and grew until a gunshot rang out and a sudden silence fell once more. "Thank you," Archpriest Meza said, nodding to the young soldier who had fired into the air. "Now," he continued, turning to face the Penitants once more, "let me make this absolutely crystal clear."

"I am going to talk," he said, walking forward into the crowd, which parted before him. "And you....are going to listen. I do not care. I do not care for your stories, your arguments, your beliefs. I do not care who started what argument, or who said what rumor, or even who assault whom! I do not care. These are petty issues, for petty people to deal with. You are Penitants, the representatives of all of Mishmahig, sworn defenders of the Faith in the sight of God and his Sons! You are supposed to represent the best and noblest of us, the most pious, the wisest. God help us," he said, raising his hands in mock supplication, "if this is the best we can do."

He reached the platform at the front of the room and stood behind the podium, his gaze flicking from face to face. "You are Penitants," he repeated, "And you are better than this. When you enter this room, you are no longer ordinary people, and you cannot act that way. You must leave behind your emotions, your thoughts, your desires, and you must enter only with your pure and unwavering faith. We are here, all of us, for the sake of our people and our God. We should be united within our nation, united as one, because the alternative is to fall, to fail, and that, my friends," he said, raising his hands in the air, "is not an option. It is not acceptable that we might fail, because so much relies on us."

"And so you should, every last one of you, be ashamed. Be ashamed that you struck your fellow human. Be ashamed that you quarrelled in a place of God and Man. Be ashamed that you let yourselves be divided. But most of all, be ashamed that you have failed, failed both God and your country. No," he said fiercely, cutting off a Penitant who looked ready to speak, "do not say anything, for you cannot say anything, anything at all that would justify what you have done this day. I had thought some of you wise enough to not fall victim to the viciousness and wildness plaguing our nation. I thought some of you were able to rise above the conflict, and work for a better future. Clearly, I thought wrongly."

As the assembled Penitants shuffled their feet and muttered quiet apologies to each other, looking nothing more than nervous schoolboys, he continued, his words hammering down on their heads like an avalanche. His tone never wavered, nor did he ever raise his voice, but the Penitants felt overwhelming guilt at his expression. He was not angry, or upset, or annoyed, or any other thousand emotions. Instead, he looked disappointed, and it was this that truly had the most effect.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Office of the Archpriest
Temple of Unity,
Evenstead, Mishmahig

The Archpriest sighed as he leaned back in his chair, tossing the papers he had been reading on the desk. Stretching his arms above his head, he glanced around the room, his bleary eyes blinking as he sought to adjust to his surroundings. Rich mahogany gleamed from the wooden shelves that lined the plain walls as they trembled under the weight of hundreds of fat, leather-bound books that covered thousands of topics, from the origins of Mishmahigian Christianity to the latest hydroponic theories. His gaze moving onwards, his eyes settled briefly on the table in one corner, and a small smile formed on his lips as he beheld his pride and joy. The contents of a fully stocked workshop lay scattered across the table. Fat cogs and many toothed gears lay in tumbled piles as the sunlight gleamed off dozens of small screws and springs that filled jar after jar. Here and there, amidst the chaos lay tools, from thick saws to thin picks and files, and dozens of images and blueprints were tacked to the walls, covered in notes and adjustments. In the center of the table loomed his latest toy---a miniature model of Eorthe, depicted in amazing detail. Tiny raised mountains sprawled across the surface, and careful observers could make out almost every major river and geological feature that currently adorned the face of the world.

Yet it was not finished. An entire quarter of the globe had been removed to reveal a nest of cogs and springs and gears inside, just waiting to be wound and released, to merrily click and whir away at some unknown task. His gaze lingered on the opening, and a tiny frown creased his forehead. Oh, how he longed to put down his papers, to throw away the robes of his office, and to don some overalls and bury himself in his wondrous inventions, there to spend the remainder of his days. It was not to be, though, and he dismissed the thought as idle fantasy, turning with a sigh to the stacks and stacks of paper that filled his desk, threatening to spill onto the floor. Frowning fully now, he rifled through the first stack, extracting two papers with great difficulty. Donning a pair of reading spectacles, he peered at the responses to his first communique, reading carefully through the telegrams, examining and dissecting every sentence, often re-reading the same section multiple times. When he was at last done, he replaced the papers in the stack and carefully removed his glasses, leaning back in his comfortable leather chair as he pondered, turning and twisting the messages over and over in his mind, examining them carefully from every possible perspective. The minutes ticked by as the light of sun diminished even further, plunging the office into twilight. Leaning forward with a sigh, he carefully lit the gas lamps on his desk, blowing out the matches as he hunted for a spare quill. Finding one at last in the desk drawer, he hunched over the desk. In the rosy light of the gas lamps, only the sound of the quill scratching against the parchment broke the silence.
---------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Prime Minister William Pelly, and by extension, Queen Olivia II,

I thank you for your kind words and condolences regarding the situation in the former Voerish Free State. It is truly disconcerting that so many of our people have been called to God so early, and in such a brutal manner. No matter the situation, the killing--nay, the brutal butchering of hundreds, if not thousands of people is unacceptable to any civilized nation, and I am understandably pleased to note the reaction of the Queendom of Vjiay.

However, as pleased as I am at your eloquent response, I must humbly reject your critique as unacceptable and unfeasible in the current political climate, if not by the laws and morals that govern our nations. Your objections are addressed to two separate topics, and I shall respond to them accordingly.

First, your government objects to the recent destruction of the Voerish Embassy, and the death of the Voerish ambassador. The government of Mishmahig views these incidents as the work of a massive riot that overwhelmed the defenses of the Embassy, resulting in the unfortunate deaths of the Voerish ambassador and the majority of the embassy staff. A regrettable and unfortunate incident, one condemned by the government of Mishmahig, and one that should not be viewed as an official response. Truly, is your government able to control the actions of every crowd and group in your nation, or should we take the actions of any citizen of Vjiay as an official action by the government of Vjiay? To follow such a view is the height of folly, and I encourage you to take the same additude towards the Dominion of Mishmahig.

As the for the second issue, regarding the decision of the government to dispatch a small group of investigators and peacekeepers to the former Voerish Free State, I must completely and whole-heartedly reject your request. While other nations form 'detailed appraisals' or 'sort out the situation,' innocent men, women and children are brutally murdered, a state of affairs that no man of conscience can tolerate. I urge you, both personally and officially, to set aside the reins of bureaucracy, to look beyond your rules and procedures, and to do what is right.

In summary, the Dominion of Mishmahig will not stand idle as the people of the former Voerish Free State are brutally murdered with every passing day. The longer the governments of the world stand, paralyzed by inaction and bureaucracy, the more families are destroyed, the more devastation will be unleashed, and the longer it will take to recover from the current state of affairs. We will do what is right, Prime Minister Pelly, and we urge you to do so as well.

Yours in God,

Archpriest Ferdinand Meza

Queen Autumn,

It is with a heavy heart that I write to you about the state of affairs in the former Voerish Free State. We must regrettably inform you and your government that, to the extent possible, the information regarding the brutal murders of hundreds of Mishmahigian Christians has been verified. As much as we would give to write anything else---anything else, the truth must be told.

The Voerish army exterminated an entire village, and the current state of civil war is leaving a swathe of destruction across the entire country, wrecking unending devastation, and plunging the inhabitants of the nation into a war-torn hell. It is our duty, Queen Autumn, as the representatives of civilized nations, to take a stand against such violations of human rights, if not against the wave of violence sweeping across the Voerish people currently.

I implore you then, in the name of God Almighty, to take action. Whether it be sending humanitarian aid, or deploying peacekeeping troops, or stabilizing the region, action is needed! The people of the former Voerish Free State cry out every day for help, and we are bound by our own consciences to assist in any way possible. Should you do such a thing, then the people of the world will speak of the generosity and nobility of the Kingdom of Fanaglia, the kindness and benevolence shown, the grace and wisdom of their ruler.

Save these people, Queen Autumn. You have the power to help, and I ask you to use it.

Yours in Christ,
Archpriest Meza

Last edited by Mishmahig on Sun Feb 03, 2013 1:19 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Gratia Infinita
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Gratia Infinita » Fri Sep 14, 2012 12:01 pm

President's Palace, Beaumont

The ambassador and his bodyguards flinched as the shot rang out. Desiderius ran to the man's side. Even in the semi-dark, he could tell the glistening wound was fatal. Had to be. The Presidential security detail broke through the door moments later, their revolvers out and ready.

"Stand down! Stand down! He did this with his own hands!" Desiderius shouted, his voice carrying through the babble of angry and alarmed voices. "He shot himself right in front of us!"

Three hours later, Desiderius stood in front of the cabinet-members in their plush meeting room. After recounting the events that occurred in the office, he once again re-stated the message he bore. "Members of the cabinet, the Concilium of Gratia Infinita offers its full support in negotiating a peace with the rebels, so that free election will be held. We also offer military aid against any nation that seeks to invade your borders during this tumultuous time."

Gratia Infinita, Mariana, Chambers of the Ordo Unitatis

"And so it is evident that our approach to the current situation needs to be evaluated." Magistra Serena Gratia Vinii concluded, her face grim. "With the president dead, any resistance the capital might have offered to the rebel forces has dissapeared. We would be sending our troops into a meat-grinder. At the same time, I am almost certain that foreign assets are backing the revolt."

Caius Pontificus leaned back in his throne, fingers steepled, the folds of his toga luxurious about him. "Is the chain of succession completely broken? Is there no representative of the legitimate government we can support?"

Someone cleared his throat, and all eyes turned to look at Marcus. He smiled thinly, then spoke. "My...reporters...indicate that substantial elements of the Veordish army remain in the north of the country, headed by a General Benreicht." The strange foreign name was harsh on his lips. "They are under-equipped, but they remain loyal to their country and have not been bought out by any foreign power. If we could evacuate the cabinet to the North, we would have a viable core of authority from which they could negotiate."

"Very well." Caius grunted, satisfied enough. "On the authority of the Concilium, I authorize the deployment of the 1st, the 3rd and the 16th Airship Fleets, with a complement of Knights aboard, to be sent to Voerdeland. Make sure that the commanders know they are only to cross the border after the Voerdeland government, such as it is, has authorized it."
Last edited by Gratia Infinita on Fri Sep 14, 2012 3:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Pavlostani
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pavlostani » Fri Sep 14, 2012 2:41 pm

A response, from the Voerish Embassy
Dear Dictator,
      Despite the threat we see, our provisional government has voted against your support. We feel that we are well suited to deal with the threat ourselves.

22nd Airborne Legion
Ussin Khamul

"Bullshit." The general muttered. He wired a telegram back to the Dictator, awaiting orders nervously. Soon, his superior's message came through.
General Helgraf. Despite the protests of Voerdeland, we can not allow the brigands to survive. It would give other terrorists the idea that we would let them go. Hunt down the insurgents, and kill them.

"Alright men, get to the long range skiffs." The general said. "Commander Haynes, you are in command for this mission. Objectives are to kill or capture Bates, Buckley, Clemens and Wheaton." He said. "Yes sir!" Haynes shouted. "You will land on the coast. We will be unable to lend you support, as that would risk war." The general warned. "Let's get to this." Haynes said.

Gratia Infinita
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Gratia Infinita » Fri Sep 14, 2012 4:39 pm

----Concilium Magisterorum Gratiae Infinitae----

To the governments of the nations of the earth,

Peace and blessings,

The recent turn of events in the nation of Voerdeland threatens to plunge an entire people into tragedy. The sacred contract of trust between the people and their government has been irreparably broken. Voerdeland is weak and divided, ripe for the depredations of unscrupulous and vicious men.

The Concilium of Gratia Infinita seeks peace between the legitimate government of the country and the rebel forces, a peace founded upon and facilitated by free and open elections, in accord with the political traditions of the Voerdish people. To this end, we have offered our resources to the legitimate government to help secure peace and the assurance of future sovereignty. We encourage our sister nations to join us in this effort. Pending the approval of the Voerderland government, any incursion into the Republic will be treated as an act of war against Voerderland, and against the Concilium.

May God illumine your paths,

Signed,
The Concilium

Vjiay
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Vjiay » Fri Sep 14, 2012 5:04 pm

The shouting was deafening, the abuse coarse, the language offensive. The scenes were suggestive of a riot, perhaps occurring in the now crumbling country of Voerdeland. Unfortunately, this was not a riot. This was supposed to be the representatives of Vjiay, the cream of the political crop, politely discussing issues relevant to the current state of affairs in the world.

The One-Nationers, of which William Pelly was head, was in disarray. Divided by its own internal frictions and under fire from the general populace for its current policies, its members were hurling abuse at one an other as much as the Liberals opposite them where issuing their anger at all of them.

Pelly sat quietly in his seat at the centre of the ancient hall, apparently the only one out of the hundreds currently doing so. The repeated bashing of the gavel was drowned out by the noise of the people, whose voices echoed around in such a way that it all became a muddled mash of pure sound. Despite there being lots said, nothing was actually heard.

The man himself looked dishevelled, a point many had noticed thanks to his usual, more buoyant attitude. He hadn’t shaven that morning, his greying hair was ruffled and his dark suit creased. He was simply looking down at papers in his hands, but the lack of eye movement suggesting his mind was elsewhere.

An oddity of Vjiayan government followed. The Lord of The Chamber, sitting atop his heightened chair at one end of the hall and flanked by scribes and Lower Lords, made an almost imperceptible nod to a nearby guard, who currently had his back to a wall. The man, dressed in a deep blue tunic and white pith helmet bowed his head and drew his sidearm, a large revolver.

A few of the Parliament Members nearby noticed and fell silent, though the vast majority hadn’t and kept up their raucous exchanges. With a practised hand, the man lifted the rifle, aimed down the sights at the opposite wall and squeezed the trigger. The noise was thunderous and the echoes ricocheted for many seconds more, made louder. The man calmly returned the weapon to its holster and stood at ease. The hall fell silent and its members stood or sat down uneasily.

This ritual was two hundred years old, and came about after a young guard, nervous at the vociferous rabble that no doubt resembled what was going on in the hall today, accidentally fired off his weapon. The hall fell immediately silent and it is said that, rather than discipline the man, the then Lord of The Chamber grinned and said, ‘ Well, that rather did the trick.’ The act had only been used six times since then and had never lost its effect.

“Now, if you would all please sit.” The Lord of The Chamber said quietly, though his voice was easily heard. “Every man will have his pay for the day docked, no exceptions.” There was no rebuttal, the crowd remained silent. The only sound in the entire room was the scribbling of the scribes noting down every word. “The Prime Minister will now speak.”

Pelly took to his feet and strode towards his lectern, notably less confident than usual. Slowly and carefully he placed his papers in front of him, raising his eyes to face the shadow cabinet of the opposition sitting facing him.

“Honourable Gentlemen.” He began, his voice a little hoarse and slightly quieter than usual, “The situation has again worsened. The government of Mishmahig has refused us the time necessary to intervene ourselves before they send in their force and the Fanaglians claim to have no knowledge of the actions that the Vitzenburg Intelligence Service gleaned from their operations in Voerdeland.”

He paused and took a breath, the hardest part was what was coming next, “The humanitarian crisis had took a similar downturn and the aid necessary to its solution is being slowed by our policy of taxing goods passing through our lands.”

Immediately he saw the smirks beginning to form on the faces of the party opposite, “As a result and, after careful deliberation, my cabinet and I have decided to, temporarily, cease taxing foreign goods passing through our rail system on the way to Voerdeland.”

Fortunately for Pelly the risk of further punishment from the Chamber Lord prevented too much of a response, though there were snippets of laughter and murmurs akin to ‘We told you so,’

“Added to this, we are currently beginning to assemble an Expeditionary Force, hereby know as the Vjiayan Expeditionary Force, Voerdeland, or VEF(V) to help stabilise the region. Though not definitive yet, the initial action will to be take the capital, Beaufort.”

He continued, his voice cracking and tired, the fingers of both hands tapping rhythmically on the wooden lectern,

“The Inorothians, Fanaglians, Vitzburgians and Mishmahigians will all be informed and the stabilisation effort will ideally involved the use of all of their assets, although right now this is an individual effort on our part that can be altered with changes of circumstance.”

He nodded to the Chamber Lord, signalling the end of his points.

After a few gloating remarks from the Leader of the Opposition, in which he repeatedly reminded everyone that it was his party that had been proposing the current plan the entire time, Pelly was allowed to retire to his office.

It was once more a grey day in Urbaurum and, despite the wide windows that made up an entire wall of the room, the office was similarly dank and dreary. William made his way to his desk and sat down, rubbing his eyes and then switching on a table lamp which blinded his tired eyes for a moment and ensured he was seeing spots for a few minutes afterwards. He also found it difficult to focus on the white paper he was going to write his letters on and the beginning of them were noticeably less neat and structured than the middle and ends.

Archpriest Meza

I am disappointed with your response and feel it will only lead to further bloodshed. I feel my nation is in a far better position, both militarily and geographically, to react and solve the current crisis. Now that you have made your decision, however, I will naturally not stand in your way.

With your regards your response, let me first tell you my definition of ‘right’.

Right is appraising the situation with thought and discussion, not hot headedly charging into a maelstrom that is going to cost lives no matter what route is taken.

Right is the attempt to define friend and enemy, to decide who has the justification for support and who doesn’t and to discover who the belligerents are and who they are supported by.

It is not clear that the Voerish Government was any more responsible for the massacre of your people than you are for the massacre of the Voerish ambassadors murdered in your country, so I find it personally highly hypocritical of you to suggest that it was.

It is my suspicion that the rebel elements of this war portrayed it as intentional murder in order to further stir the pot of anger.

Nevertheless, in order to ensure the stability of the area and security of the innocents, I propose we cooperate until it is done.

Since, I imagine, you will need access to the Caeruleus, I strongly advise that you agree.

Yours,

William Pelly.

He called for this assistant and he whisked the letter away to be wired to Mishmahig. Now, William pulled another piece of paper and began the infinitely more delicate, and embarrassing, letter to the Amplector nations.

Queen Autumn of Fanaglia,
Kaiserness Morgen of Vitzenburg,
Representatives of Inoroth.

I write to you now asking for your support.

The situation in Voerdeland worsens by the hour and the people suffering the most are the innocents caught in the crossfire. With reports of starvation and disease the government of Vjiay has decided to temporarily revoke any restrictions on trade passing through our mainland and through Valoria.

Please let it be noted that it is still a demilitarised rail, and will be checked for weaponry after unconfirmed reports of rebel backing by some governments.

The Vjiayan government has pledged to double the humanitarian carriages travelling to Voerdeland, and I personally implore you to send what you can to help ease the crisis.

Yours,
William Pelly.

Pavlostani
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Pavlostani » Fri Sep 14, 2012 7:16 pm

Brandburg, Voerdeland
Ascension Class Airship

The Ascension Class Airship flew over the small Voerish village. Tri-machine guns took aim on all sides. "Fire." Bates said, shaking with anger at the memory of his fallen comrades. Private Buckley manned the gunnery and began spraying bullets into the village. "Land us there." Bates said calmly. The Ascension sat down, and the team unloaded. Bates was carrying a repeating rifle, Buckley and Clemens had semi-automatic rifles, and Wheaton was carrying a bolt action rifle. "We aren't here for prisoners." Bates reminded them. Buckley attached a telescopic sight on his rifle. "Roge-o." He said with evil complacence. He took a sniping position, although his rifle was not all that accurate, and he was close enough that if the Voerish looked closely enough, they probably would see him. No matter, they looked unarmed. The other three insurgents looked down at the village. It was held by rioters at the moment. The men who had killed their friends. "Sniper position set." Buckley said through the radio. "Strike team ready." Bates said. "Wheaton?" Private Bradley Wheaton loaded his gun. "For Wolf team." He said softly, then exploded into the village. "Voerish on all sides!" Clemens yelled, and fired his rifle, which brought down an enemy in one shot. Wheaton was slowly walking through the village, mowing down everything in his path that moved, civilians and militants alike. The cold enjoyment in his eyes showed a cruel sociopathism within him. Bates was doing most of the combat, while Clemens and Wheaton were committing the massacre. Buckley was taking down any potential threats from a distance. The leader of the village ran up to them pleading for mercy, Clemens capped his head. "And now, a reminder." Bates laughed, and lit a match. He dropped it in a barn and waited for it to catch on fire. "This is Bates to all units. Good work, mission successful." He said. Their airship ascended as the village below them burned to the ground.
Last edited by Pavlostani on Fri Sep 14, 2012 8:54 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Servoth
Senator

Founded: Nov 30, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Servoth » Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:03 pm

East Voerdeland National Station, Voerdeland
Novemeber 24th, 1890
7:45 eastern time

The Servothian Government steam train slowly pulled into the East Voerdeland National Station, but instead of seeing masses of poor and starving Voerdes, there was no one. No beggers, no hobos, no peasants, no out of work door-to-door salesmen, no man, woman, or child stood waiting to flee their horrid nation to lands of prosperity and riches. It was an eery silence, like that of death haunting the doors of the elderly men. Jekyl and the Doctor jumped off the train, as they had their luggage was unloaded, they became witness to a new horror of the failing Voerdeland nation. There not far from the exchange booth (by the way which was unoccupied), was a cross painted onto the stone floor in blood. And in the center of the blood cross a half-rotten skeleton of a human being.

Jekyl, the Doctor, a squad of 20 Servothian soldiers, and the luggage carriers quickly hurried past the grusome sight and out of the station as fast as humanly possible in a walking pace, but only to witness more of the unscene dangers and horrors of the Voerdes.
Before them several burning buildings, most of which the windows had fire licking from them, like darting eyes of wild beasts. And on the street sides and in the doorways of rambled down constructions were the poor, starving, and sick all huddled together. Some even stood in the ports of the fiery run-down buildings. The Servothian Party hurried down the streets quickly looking for the most luxurious hotel that could be found, if one existed here in these most Eastern land. Jekyl only command to the troopers was, "Shoot anyone that doesn't look friendly or wealthy, if they come within a meter of us!"
Last edited by Servoth on Fri Sep 14, 2012 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
How did I get this gay?

Fanaglia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fanaglia » Fri Sep 14, 2012 11:07 pm

Mewich Opera House
Mewich, Republic of Nova Voerda (former Voerdish Free State)
25 November, 1890
10:30 Local Time

In the absence of a proper hall of legislature, the newly-elected Congress of the Republic of Nova Voerda had to make do with the rather fine opera house the port town of Mewich boasted. Presiding over their first meeting was James Wayford, the interim president chosen by the new Congress; plans were already in place to hold a proper popular election, once the hostilities with the Old State had ended.

"My fellow Voerdish," Wayford called to the crowd senators and spectators before him, who met his greeting with polite applause and a few subdued cheers. Wayford and many of those in attendance wore small pins bearing the symbol of Black Shield, to show their gratitude and support for the ones who had made all this possible. "Ladies and gentlemen of the New Congress!" The cheers grew louder as a few, and eventually nearly every, member rose to their feet. "This morning, we make history. We have seen the end of the corrupt system of the Old State with the death of the tyrant Kitshoff and the inevitable fall of Beaufort," louder still, the cheers and applause grew, "And today, we witness the beginning of a new republic -- Nova Voerda!" The eruption from the crowd was deafening and seemed to last for ages, before the man could even speak another line.

"We are not alone in our fight against the Old State. Mishmahig has already recognized our legitimacy and has promised her support," more cheering. "We have the Old State against the ropes. I have heard from our troops outside of Beaufort that Kitshoff's cabinet are evacuating to the north to regroup with General Benreicht with the aide of Gratia Infinita. They are frightened, my brothers and sisters. When people fear their governments, there is tyranny, but when governments fear their people, there...is...freedom!" The applause that met his final assurance was so tremendous that a visible tremble could bee seen in the opera house's rather sizable crystal chandelier and continued until the interim president had left the stage. The uproarious cacophony gradually gave way to the singing of the new Voerdish national anthem:

If there's storm or it snows,
    Or the sun smiles on us,
    The day is burning hot,
    Or the night icy cold.
    Dusty are the faces,
    But joyful is our mind,
    Joyful our mind;
    Our freedom roars ahead
    Within the storm wind.

To Gratia Infinita:

Your ships are not welcome in Voerdish airspace. However, though you aide the Old State, the enemies of Freedom, our quarrel is not with your nation and we feel that the great city of Beaufort has suffered enough. Therefore, I have given the order not to fire on your ships as they transfer the cabinet of the tyrant, Kitshoff, to the north-country, on the condition that the city of Beaufort be surrendered to the new and democratic Republic of Nova Voerda.

This New Republic has the support of the peoples of Voerdeland; we do not wish to fight, nor do we fear to.

James Wayford,
President,
Republic of Nova Voerda

Nations of the world,

On this day, the 25 November, A.D. 1890, a New Republic is founded. We have risen above the bonds of tyranny and oppression to declare ourselves Free. The Old State is in tatters and has abandoned her people to hide in shame. The Republic of Nova Voerda shall never do such a thing -- the RNV will protect her people, especially the least amongst them, so long as even one of us still lives and utters the words 'Concordia, Integritas, Industria.'

All we seek is recognition of this democratically-elected state from the other respectable nations of the world.

James Wayford,
President,
Republic of Nova Voerda

OOC: Man, I've still got a bit of writing to do. But damn, I'm tired. I'll get the rest later.

On the to-do list: Respond to the communiques from Vitz, Mish, Gratia, and Vjiay, as well as introduce a new conflict between Queen Autumn and "Christmas Future," whose identity will be revealed shortly, as well.
Last edited by Fanaglia on Sat Sep 15, 2012 9:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Map Mistress of Vapor
Factbook

Wirbel
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Wirbel » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:16 am

Capital Building, Kohlenstoffburg

"Kaiser, there is a situation in Voerdeland. The government has collapsed and it is now open territory," said General von Kohlenstoffburg.

"Interesting. Could you send the new airship Forscher over there? It has a range of about six and a half thousand kilometers," said the Kaiser.

"How did you get that?" asked General von Kohlenstoffburg.

"AeroWirbel agreed to build it for me. Those men are pure genius," said the Kaiser.

"Could you put it under my command so that I can have my men get it ready for the overflight of Voerdeland?" asked General von Kohlenstoffburg.

"I'll arrange for that. Just wait at your military aerodrome. The ship should arrive shortly- about one hour," said the Kaiser.

Luftschiffhafen Kohlenstoffburg B

"The ship has a nice six thousand kilometer range, but it would need double that to go from here to the eastern area of Voerdeland and come back without stopping," said General von Kohlenstoffburg. "I think we need to ask Fanho de Ferro if we can land in their nation."

"Good idea," said Rudolf. "While you are planning this, I'll begin to design a plan for an airship with a good payload and fifty percent more range."

"Awesome," said the General.
Last edited by Wirbel on Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:17 am, edited 2 times in total.
Costa Fiero wrote:
Soviet Russia Republic wrote:Yes, they could. They'll likely not get seven years.

Nah, they'll probably end up in one of the gulags rehabilitation facilities in Siberia.

Mikoyan-Guryevich wrote:Don't RP that your naval strike force has just launched 1000 fighter jets, this is just pure shit.
Preferred Type of Gov't:
Insane Evil Fascist Tyranny

Religion:
Science
I roleplay Steampunk and Dieselpunk.

Fanaglia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fanaglia » Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:54 am

Palace Evander
27 November, 1890
13:01 Local Time

Queen Autumn had before her a small stack of communiques from around the world. One was from James Wayford, the newly-elected president of the rebels, who have declared independence as the Republic of Nova Voerda. Responding to his message would have to wait, though, until all the facts were in. None of the messages was more satisfying than the one from that supremely irritating William Pelly, though. It appeared he had finally succumbed to international pressure and common sense and had, at least temporarily, lifted the restrictive tariffs on rail traffic through his country, in an effort to allow more humanitarian aid to reach Voerdeland. It put a great smile on her face to see him humbled so. It was not time to gloat, however; the Voerdish people did need that aid and she had messages to wire.

Mr. Pelly,

I cannot express the relief I felt when I first read that you have finally decided to be reasonable with regards to the Continental Rail. The Voerdish people, I'm sure, shall be quite thankful. Fanaglian supply of humanitarian aid shall begin immediately.

However, if evidence of the human rights violations asserted by Mishmahig is discovered, it is our duty as a civilized, free nation, and as Christians, to intervene on the behalf of the suffering, in which case, I cannot agree to pledge not to assist one side against the other. Your cooperation would be helpful, but, lacking that, military aid will simply be shipped the old way, over the sea, and it will be known that the nation of Vjiay refused to act on behalf of those who are suffering.

To Kaiserness Morgen of Vitzenberg:

I can assure you that accusations of Fanaglian involvement in the volatile Voerdish situation are patently untrue. Any aid that has arrived in that country within the past year has done so without my knowledge or approval. The matter is currently being investigated by a special detachment of the RAS, as are the accusations of human rights violations by the nation of Mishmahig.

I also must disagree with your suggestion to form an international coalition to force a peace between the warring factions of Voerdeland. Any military intervention would be inherently partisan, regardless of its intentions. The Kingdom of Fanaglia refuses to take sides in this conflict without first having all of the facts in order.

However, the nation of Vjiay has agreed to lift the restrictive taxes on rail traffic through her lands in an effort to ease the suffering of the Voerdish civilians on both sides. The Kingdom of Fanaglia shall use this opportunity to send food, clean water, and medicine to that war-torn nation. I ask that Vitzenberg please do the same.

To Archpriest Meza of Mishmahig:

The situation in Voerdeland certainly seems dire. Certain obstacles here in Amplector have been removed and arrangements have been made to begin sending humanitarian aid to that country which is in dire need of it. At this time, certain political obstacles remain to our sending military aid to the rebels, but that matter is subject to change and it is my personal hope that it does. The Kingdom of Fanaglia shall do everything in her power to ease the suffering of the Voerdish people.

To the Concilium Magisterorum of Gratia Infinita:

In light of as-yet-unconfirmed accusations of human rights violations by the 'legitimate' government of the Voerdish Free State, the Kingdom of Fanaglia cannot at this time pledge the support of peace between the two warring factions. If these allegations against the late President Kitshoff's administration are true, then the Kingdom cannot in good conscience support their continued existence, especially now that the Voerdish people have already moved to establish a new republic.

The Kingdom of Fanaglia has not yet recognized officially the legitimacy of the Republic of Nova Voerda. Fanaglia hereby refuses to take sides before confirming or denying the allegations of crimes against human rights by the Kitshoff Administration. Until such time, the Kingdom shall provide non-partisan humanitarian aid to Voerdeland's suffering civilians. Any interference with these efforts shall be considered an act of war against the Kingdom of Fanaglia.

OOC: Out of time again, but to come are the promised post about Queen Autumn and Christmas Future, as well as a narrative of the RAS detachment sent to investigate the Pefalls Massacre, followed by Fanaglia's announcement of officially recognizing the Republic of Nova Voerda and a pledge of military support.
Last edited by Fanaglia on Sat Sep 15, 2012 10:56 am, edited 1 time in total.
Map Mistress of Vapor
Factbook

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents