NATION

PASSWORD

Argument Thread OOC Future Tech Only

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Strykla
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Sun Aug 05, 2012 6:51 pm

Fort Dyson wrote:
Strykla wrote:Noooo tentacle hentai

Didja' have to go there? Don't encourage him man!
Besides, how are you going to fit an anti-ship weapo- Actually,... I'm going to stop right here. With a warning and a ban: This is not Japan. Japan or Japanese nations are hereby banned from using this tech.
:p

All I'm saying is, the potential for misuse is too great. BAN THIS SICK FILTH!
Lord Justice Clerk of the Classical Royalist Party, NSG Senate. Hail, Companion!

Arteria Zoness
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Arteria Zoness » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:31 pm

Hater! You're just jealous of my tentacled brilliance! Hail! Bask in the radiance of my Uber Subs and their tendrils of brilliant black steel!
Tremble before my wrath, for the righteous crushing fury of Cephalopodian superiority is upon thee!
Cute little space dolphins with starships and ray guns. C'mon. That just too cute for it's own good.
MT and PT suck. :P

Strykla
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 30, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Strykla » Sun Aug 05, 2012 7:50 pm

Arteria Zoness wrote:Hater! You're just jealous of my tentacled brilliance! Hail! Bask in the radiance of my Uber Subs and their tendrils of brilliant black steel!
Tremble before my wrath, for the righteous crushing fury of Cephalopodian superiority is upon thee!

NOOO
Lord Justice Clerk of the Classical Royalist Party, NSG Senate. Hail, Companion!

Thrashia
Minister

Founded: Aug 31, 2004
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Thrashia » Tue Aug 07, 2012 6:25 pm

Taggedly
FT Factbook | Thrashian Maintenance Thread | Newbies Need to Read This | Thrashia IIwiki

"D-Damn you all...! All of you dogs whose souls are still bound to the Earth! Long live Neo Zeon!" - MSG: Unicorn

The Fedral Union
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:26 am

So, whats the general speed of everyone's FTL drives?
[09:07.53] <Estainia> ... Nuclear handgrenades have one end result. Everybody dies. For the M.F Republic, I guess
Member of the Galactic Economic and Security Organization
[REDACTED BY MOD]

The 44th Indp Legion
Diplomat

Founded: Jul 22, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby The 44th Indp Legion » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:45 am

The Fedral Union wrote:So, whats the general speed of everyone's FTL drives?

Phase-Jump/wormhole tech usually is (near-)instantaneous, but is normally limited in destinations in via a network-like fashion.
hypersapce-y stuff usually just goes at some multiple of C while throwing time dialation and such out of the window for ease of use and roleplay logic.

as for the stuff I use:
Hopskotch tech can propel ships at speeds of 5-200c for up to about a light-year, but causes structural damage relative to the speed used and the distance travelled.
Rift travel cares not for the distance when it comes to the time required to complete a single rift-in/out sequence. However, each sequence has a limit in how far it can go, and the drives must be (lengthily) recalibrated after each sequence.
Last edited by The 44th Indp Legion on Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
OOC, this nation is an autonomous exclave, but will ICly (rather firmly) assert that they are representing the whole of the 44th on diplomatic occasions. Please take their IC aspirations of grandeur and power with several grams of salt.
Post makes no damn sense.
You make a hurtful haiku.
Refrigerator.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Mon Aug 13, 2012 11:41 am

At the incredible speed of plot!

Not really a joke, since that's how fast they end up being regardless of the figures I've calculated (which are quite fast). Of course, there are also a half dozen different kinds in service so that's another factor.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Vocenae
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 19, 2006
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Vocenae » Mon Aug 13, 2012 1:09 pm

Exactly. No faster than the story and your opponent agree to.
The Imperial Star Republic
18:34 <Kyrusia> Voc: The one anchor of moral conscience in a sea of turbulent depravity.

The 44th Indp Legion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The 44th Indp Legion » Mon Aug 13, 2012 2:05 pm

Vocenae wrote:Exactly. No faster than the story and your opponent agree to.

indeed. however, it is still nice to have a lore explanation for explaining such things ICly.
OOC, this nation is an autonomous exclave, but will ICly (rather firmly) assert that they are representing the whole of the 44th on diplomatic occasions. Please take their IC aspirations of grandeur and power with several grams of salt.
Refrigerator.

Crucesignatorum
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 18, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Crucesignatorum » Mon Aug 13, 2012 3:47 pm

Anyone have a link to the mech thread about why they dont work? I am trying to figure out why legged mechs apparently dont work, even though BigDog has four legs and does work. I am just confused haha.

Anyway, link anyone? I can't find it.

Alexzonya
Envoy

Founded: Aug 05, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby Alexzonya » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:01 pm

Eh, I have two types of FTL.

My Origami Drives only work in areas where I'm familiar with the stellar geography and are relatively static, but are near-instantaneous regardless of distance. They also eat a large amount of energy, so a ship coming off an Origami jump isn't in an optimal combat position.

My Slipspace Drives, by contrast, work everywhere, but are slower and less reliable. The Slipspace Drives, since they are non-instantaneous, move at the speed of plot (although intra-system jumps are pretty much instantaneous anyway), and also eat far less energy. Thus, when jumping into combat, my ships tend to use their Slipspace Drives.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:10 pm

Crucesignatorum wrote:Anyone have a link to the mech thread about why they dont work? I am trying to figure out why legged mechs apparently dont work, even though BigDog has four legs and does work. I am just confused haha.

Which thread did you mean? In any event, the problem isn't that mechs are physically incapable of being built, they 'don't work' in that they are less practical, more expensive, and more vulnerable relative to conventional vehicles under almost every circumstance. At small-scale, infantry levels there may be some uses for legged vehicles with more advanced technology, but not in the traditional mech depiction as being a replacement for tanks or other armored vehicles.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Crucesignatorum
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Crucesignatorum » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:18 pm

I was thinking of using something of like the BigDog as the infantry, they are just about the only legged mech I would have. Other than that it is all pretty much tracks. Maybe some fancy malleable track to fit to extreme terrain or something.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Postby The Akasha Colony » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:27 pm

Crucesignatorum wrote:I was thinking of using something of like the BigDog as the infantry, they are just about the only legged mech I would have. Other than that it is all pretty much tracks. Maybe some fancy malleable track to fit to extreme terrain or something.

BigDog itself is nowhere near ready for such purposes. Given a decade more development, it may be more useful as a combat supplement for infantry, but at the moment, it's still too fragile and noisy to see field use. Any enemy with working ears is going to hear that lawnmower engine coming at them from a mile away, and it'll still need to be either directly or remotely guided.
New Terran Republic (FT)

Crucesignatorum
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Crucesignatorum » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:32 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:BigDog itself is nowhere near ready for such purposes. Given a decade more development, it may be more useful as a combat supplement for infantry, but at the moment, it's still too fragile and noisy to see field use. Any enemy with working ears is going to hear that lawnmower engine coming at them from a mile away, and it'll still need to be either directly or remotely guided.

Well I was figuring on using it in a fairly far along future tech base, where there would've been at least a couple hundred years to develop it. And to solve the noise issue I was thinking of an electric motor with some sort of super capacitor, something really energy dense and quick charging.

Inutoland
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Inutoland » Mon Aug 13, 2012 4:48 pm

I have a quasi-wormhole based drive, the "K-Drive", capable of near-instantaneous transit between two points anywhere from a few hundred metres apart to multiple lightyears distant. The catch is that this is the only drive system we use, apart from ion-drive manoeuvring thrusters for docking and the like, and it exhibits "jump lag" between transits, proportional to the distance travelled.

Which means that my ships can get nearly anywhere within the maximum jump radius of the drive fairly quickly, but they may be totally immobilised on the far end for anything up to a few hours, or even days in extreme cases.
Note: Our NS page is not entirely accurate. Please use the Factbook.
Embassy Program (MT) | MT Factbook | Culture Test (MT) | FT Factbook
Economic Left/Right: -3.50 | Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -1.95

If you want to abbreviate my nation's name, I prefer "Inu"

Bajireyn
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bajireyn » Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:21 pm

Crucesignatorum wrote:Anyone have a link to the mech thread about why they dont work? I am trying to figure out why legged mechs apparently dont work, even though BigDog has four legs and does work. I am just confused haha.

http://z4.invisionfree.invalid/NSDraftroom/index.php?showtopic=5347

You mean this?
Right behind you...: UDL

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SquareDisc City » Tue Aug 14, 2012 3:03 pm

My usual drive is a warp drive, vaguely based on Star Trek. In the NSverse, its speeds are somewhat inconsistent due to shear-thinning subspace, a phenomenon where the faster other nations' craft are travelling at FTL (even if their drives don't use subspace), the faster UPT warp drives can propel their craft. My drives are unaffected by natural gravity.

I'm planning on bringing in a drive that offers instantaneous travel, even over intergalactic distances, but with some severe restrictions on its usage - few locations will be accessible, it'll lack precision for long-distance work, and sometimes it just won't be usable at all.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

Mini Miehm
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 15, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Mini Miehm » Wed Aug 15, 2012 10:28 am

So, before I sidetrack someones intro with an OOC rant, I'm going to post this here, and link the....person...to this thread.

Code: Select all
Unread postby Demagan Empire » Wed Aug 15, 2012 9:07 am
OOC: The simplicity of the Dark Star device in moderate detail so as to explain not only how it works but why its a diabolical weapon.

Encased in a 7 meter wide shell is a Zero Point Energy Matrix suspending a 15 Megaton Antimatter charge. Uniquely designed so as to Implode rather than explode, upon implosion the blast compresses a deuterium/dark matter core of roughly about 4 inches in diameter. This collapse creates a momentary singularity of definite size. Having a gravitational and radiological effect out to a limit of 30 feet.. beyond being absolutely negligible. Once said singularity is achieved the real power of the Device goes into effect. The Dark Matter is converted to Dark Energy and radiated into obviously a field surrounding the no longer "inert" munition. This Dark Energy Field is conductive of obviously dark energy and is supplied with a Field Negation Charge from a Mass Effect Generator in the munition.

This causes the singularity which has a mass of roughly 5 pounds, to have the effect of a black hole with a diameter of effect of 200,000 Km.

Meaning if your beyond 100,000 Km from point zero of the singularity... your ship could at most suffer some structural warp or radiological side effects based upon proximity, if your inside that range.. your far too close to the event horizon to escape without the use of some emergency jump or FTL acceleration, keep in mind a large portion of the ship would be damaged significantly.. Its also not used as a Anti Ship or Anti Fleet weapon although it will work quite well against fleets.. Its an Anti Planetary or Anti Stellar weapon.

Dont forget, Not every culture has your technological perspective or limitations.. Necron have been playing with Dark Matter and Mass Effect Fields for over 4 centuries

Discuss and mutilate this nonsense at your leisure.
Mallorea and Riva should resign

Don't reward the trolls.

SquareDisc City
Senator

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby SquareDisc City » Wed Aug 15, 2012 11:10 am

Technobabble veneer on an artificial black hole. I'd be minded to suggest the stated size of the black hole is excessive - if the 200,000 km figure is the event horizon diameter, that's the size of a natural black hole of about 30 thousand solar masses.
FT: The Confederation of the United Pokemon Types, led by Regent Mew.
Nuclear pulse propulsion is best propulsion.

The 44th Indp Legion
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby The 44th Indp Legion » Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:33 pm

Mini Miehm wrote:So, before I sidetrack someones intro with an OOC rant, I'm going to post this here, and link the....person...to this thread.

snip
Discuss and mutilate this nonsense at your leisure.

I think I just had an aneurysm.
/rant
-'Zero Point energy' is basicly just random photons bouncing on the surface of something, it pulls stuff together, I see no way how this could be applied to containing antimatter (which would require a 'push' not a 'pull')
-Imploding antimatter (I mean really, a shaped charge could be handwaved into explaining this, but that's really stretching it)
-Dark matter being converted into Dark energy...which is useful how? if at all possible. Currently dark energy is best defined as 'not dark matter, not really energy, not matter, but still something'
-Said dark energy being used for ...something very ill-defined. Furthermore, dark energy is more likely to decrease the potency of a black hole rather than increase it - after all, it is the cause of the semi-inexplicable force which continues to accelerate the expansion of the universe, not something which slows the expansion down as this black hole amplifying-somethingemajiggy would suggest.
-AFAIK, the mass effect reduces one's 'resistance to acceleration' (id est, mass), which by doing so also also enables FTL travel because of they actually thought it through. This would decrease the effect of a black hole if such a field is applied to it, if that is possible to begin with.
- if under 100.00km is 'too close to the event horizon', then...what is it that's at 100.00km?
-The gravitational pull of a black hole is unlikely to cause structural damage on an object the size of a ship (unless they are something like the size of a planet or whatever). The whole 'your atoms will get ripped apart' bit is kinda true - but these effects don't start being deadly until you're far beyond the vent horizon.
-That is, if you actually manage to make it past the vent horizon without being reduced to subatomic dust by the firewall.
- (hawking) Radation that should supposedly eminate from a black hole, disregarding quasar-effects (which are concentrated into two beams, not an omnidirectional thing) is mild at best. Certainly several orders of magnitude weaker than that of any star. (if this had not been the case, we would already have detected such radiation)
./rant
Last edited by The 44th Indp Legion on Wed Aug 15, 2012 1:34 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Refrigerator.

Sertian
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 20, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Sertian » Mon Aug 20, 2012 3:31 am

Oh hey guys.
The Sertian Empire Factbook
Flag generously made by Rommel, A.K.A. North Mack

Vernii
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 17, 2008
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Vernii » Mon Aug 20, 2012 8:55 am

Sertian wrote:Oh hey guys.

Ooo, welcome back. That whole Riah matter still needs resolving btw. ; )

Terraius
Minister

Founded: Oct 26, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Terraius » Tue Aug 21, 2012 5:48 pm

Bajireyn wrote:

http://z4.invisionfree.invalid/NSDraftroom/index.php?showtopic=5347

You mean this?

Are we really measuring FT's feasibility by draftroom now?

The Archregimancy wrote:Terraius is also a Catholic heretic personally responsible for the Fourth Crusade.
Lupelia wrote:Terraius: best Byzantine nation for weather.
Yeah I really like planet consuming Warp storms myself.

A Nationstates-II FT Roleplay

Bajireyn
Negotiator

Founded: Jun 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Bajireyn » Tue Aug 21, 2012 6:16 pm

Terraius wrote:

Are we really measuring FT's feasibility by draftroom now?

I'm not,I just thought that was the article he was referring to.
Right behind you...: UDL

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents