NATION

PASSWORD

To open the mind [Caeden]

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
The knights of kings
Minister

Founded: Aug 19, 2009
Ex-Nation

To open the mind [Caeden]

Postby The knights of kings » Sun Mar 11, 2012 10:32 am

"Ignorance is the curse of gods; knowledge is the wing wherewith we fly to heaven."-Opening to the Tome of Insight.

The sticky smell of warm ink filled the marble halls of one of the Caelian libraries, it wafers like a gentle breeze tingling the noses of pilgrims and great thinkers alike. The sun illuminated the halls from the great windows letting in the warm vibrant beams of another day. Not that many noticed though, many had their eyes and noses buried in the large rolls of parchment or in the pages of some old tome. The only sounds came from the flipping of pages and the continual bicker of philosophers and inventers alike, discussing the ways and laws of life. The halls where filled with shelves towering so high that ladders had to be installed and entire floors built around them, all lined with tomes of all subjects. Subjects ranging from simply poetry and old maps to great ballads and maps to cities long since forgotten. Walls not totally covered with shelves are themselves walled in by random books with no room or relevance to other sections; random stacks continue to grow about on tables, window sills, and the floor. Growing taller with each passing day like stalagmites. The scholars walk around without a word, around pilgrims who stare off amazed at the vast collection. The ceiling offering great paintings of the stars as they would appear over the roof on certain days. Everything had a purpose, the floor its own calendar to mark the seasons.

Yet perhaps it is the soothing music from the harp like instruments that the angel like Illuminaries string that attracts the curious. The Illuminari with their light hair that seems to float through some invisible liquid, their beautiful pale faces shrouded in shadow by their radiant halos behind them. With each string their pale fingers, almost transparent, pluck with grace. Wings folded in like a mother dove in her roost, pressed gently against their backs as if they were made of paper. Sitting with grace they continue to play even as crowds gather around, they continue to play not just music but of stories. The music seems to permeate through the air around like an aura and fills the senses with pleasure as it slips through the physical world into one that even the Illuminari cannot see or know of. This is what brings even the merchants with no desires but of coin to venture into a place of higher knowledge. It is what makes the humans of Palamecia worship these beings as if they were still in heaven or wherever the gods reside.

Eyes seem to try and accept the concept of such beautiful figures, many cannot escape the trance. Yet just as it began the Illuminaries become aware of the pilgrims and other visitors, their fingers slow and the trance begins to break. The Illuminari opens their eyes and brings an end to the song, slowly with a pure touch. The music fades and the Illuminari stands and smiles speaking in a tongue no one can understand yet it soothes the ears and many cannot help but to continue to watch. The Illuminari changes tongues to native human Palamecian and instantly many understand. The Illuminari without a wave or parting words simply begins to walk away to open a tome or to just be in solitude. Either way they leave as if no one had been around them as if no one had noticed. The people stand unsure of what had happened and they turn away from each other. They too disappointed like the music. To look at tomes to continue with their business.

All around Caeli the scene is the same even if it is a busy center of commerce like the bazaar. Shops with customers heckling each other, rude gestures, and the like seem to cease when an Illuminari begins to walk through the throngs of people. They dirty merchant to even the cleanest noblemen parts as if they aren’t worthy to touch of the white robes that cover the Illuminari skin. Even though the city and entire nation is run by these beings they rarely venture to argue or crush foes beneath them. Rather they are like ghosts who haunt the halls of palaces or great culture. So when such a being shows itself to the people they take notice and the native humans of Palamecia lean forward in acknowledgement. The people do this on their own accord even though the Illuminaries never instilled their "divinity" to the people.

The kingdom arouse out of the first Illuminari who appeared at the site where the city now stands, on the banks of the silver lake. The early native people saw the glow of the halo and where fearful at first unsure of what to make of these strangers. It is said back then that the Illuminari taught the early humans how to speak and attain great knowledge. Yet as time went on and the city built around them the native people grew jealous and revolted against their sage like leaders. The Illuminari with great reluctance destroyed them with powerful magic and the language of the native people was lost. Leaving only the devoted whose decedents still live today. Yet the city was just that a city state. The greater challenge and eventually becoming a kingdom was to pass eventually. Yet for the dead the Illuminari wept and their tears engorged the lake to its current level. The ancient Illuminari vowed never to use their ultimate magic in an offensive manner and secluded themselves, which is why the present Illuminari often keep to themselves.
Last edited by The knights of kings on Mon Mar 12, 2012 1:04 pm, edited 3 times in total.

The knights of kings
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The knights of kings » Sun Mar 11, 2012 11:09 am

The voices of Illuminari was unmistakable, such poetic songs could only originate from them. Yet Mateus continued to lay in his bath his blonde hair draped over the cool stone leaving puddles of silver water. His halo had disappeared, yet this was a common thing for Illuminari when they relaxed, and he lay, blue eyes gently closed. His breathing was slow and soft, his skin warmed only by the steaming water that blanketed him up to his neck. His ears listening to the lovely serenade that whispered through the palace halls. His entire existence was one with the universe quiet and relaxed. His wing soaked warmly in the hot bath was indeed a great pleasure of his and Mateus continued to enjoy his bath. Yet such serenity could not last forever, the loud almost clumsy steps of a human servant broke his trance. The tap of shoes coming closer till eventually the buckle of the door demanded Mateus to gaze at who it was. There before him was a priestess of Ossu, a guide to those seeking eternity through knowledge. He examined her; she was pretty in human standards. Hair black hair cascading over her shoulders blanketing her back. Her outfit which exposed a lot of skin that may have caused protest amongst some other religions priestess caused no disruptance to Mateus. Mateus wasn’t one to judge so quickly, after all Illuminaries simply wrapped themselves with long white strips of silk. Yet still the priestess seemed taken aback slightly as he gazed upon her. Her hands covering her chest she bowed before him.

"My king I did not expect you to be in the bath please excuse me..." She backed away voice quivering slightly. She didn’t get far though.

"Wait come closer my priestess." Mateus commanded lifting one arm out of the water to beckon her closer. His voice was smooth and soft like the most expensive silk. She seemed confused and stunned. Had she angered him? What should she do? Her eyes looked up into Mateus' conflicted. Yet as a priestess of Ossu she came forward the soft clatter of her jewelry to her sounded like steel clashing steel. She covered her eyes as she neared the bath as not to gaze upon her king. Mateus with no expression lifted himself out of the water to tower over her. She looked up into his eyes and then down. Mateus was exposed yet his body showed no effects of being near a women. She glanced at his broad shoulders and he smiled at her whilst reaching for something to cover himself in.

"What is it that you desire priestess..." He whispered gently taking her hands. She quivered again to touch the near god king. Yet his face reassured her he meant no harm.

"The great...the great sages seek your guidance my lord..." Her voice was small squeaky. She broke the gaze looking at her sandals. Mateu's lifted her chin so their eyes met again.

"Tell the sages I shall meet them in the hall of divinity. Go then my priestess if you desire nothing else." He said softly letting her go she bowed and scampered off like humans do when they are uncomfortable. Mateus continued to smile and chuckled to himself reaching for more garments to cover himself with. As the king he usually wore the radiant robes which enhanced his magical ability. With that he left the bath which would later be drained and washed by more human subjects.

As Mateus laced in purple and gold robes made his way down the palace halls he stumbled upon several pilgrims inscribing their names into the book of knowledge officially joining the Ossu faith. The pilgrims comment on how surreal everything was like the palace was of not of this place. Two Genji elite guards shamshirs buckled to their sides walked alongside the king. Unlike most humans Genji warriors were raised at birth to fight it was all they knew. Granted they were taught how to act but strict rigid lifestyles had taken the kindness out of them. They were like puppets driven only by their desire for protecting the king. To Mateus the guards were not necessary yet the people pleaded he not go out without them. So it was that he was accompanied by these two silent men.

As the golden doors slid open to the chamber of the divines Mateus saw before him great statues of all the gods. Many of them foreign and exotic. Yet at the center was a ball of energy with ancient runes swiveling in midair in a chaotic manner. There was no physical way to describe Ossu other than this ball of pure energy. To the Illuminari that was what knowledge was, energy.

"My king! My king we are grateful for your presence." In Illuminarian tongue a sage appeared. He was advanced in age and glowed a vibrant white. His staff just as transparent as he was becoming. Yet his voice could still lullaby a child to sleep. Eleven more great sages dressed in ancient attire appeared before their king. Each one unique in his or her fashion but each extremely intelligent and polite. Mateus bowed before them with a graceful movement thrusting his right hand back before looking back at the sages.

"I have answered your call my sages what is it that you desire?" Mateus smiled pleasantly. Yet the sages looked cold and somewhat upset. This quickly changed Mateus' attitude which turned to one of curiosity. What was wrong?

"The time has come my lord...the people beg to expand! We can no longer keep the realm sealed off our magic is slowly fading the enchantments to keep our people secure within our walls is breaking. We either let them establish our borders to the outside world or strengthen our barriers and face another revolt..." The sages stared at the floor a feeling of failure sank through their hearts. Mateus shook his head slowly. So the time had arrived the time predicted by his ancestors. Palamecia was a small renowned only for its great interest in collecting more information. The human followers grew restless though as they had been bound inside the small country by magic making travel to the outside all but impossible. The human people wanted freedom they wanted to collect knowledge on their own accord not through the Illuminari libraries.

"They wish to experience the world. We are like their mother; we have raised a human race advanced and intellectual. Yet I fear like a mother we are reluctant to let them observe the world. For it is a cruel dark place...one cannot know the truths of the world without learning of its dangers. The world is filled with beasts still when foreigners arrive they bring new ideas and tales of grand adventure. We...we can no longer contain our populace in such a small area...we must expand." Mateus said calculating. He was reluctant to take action and moved slowly almost levitating to the windowsill the patter of rain and dark sky covering the landscape. He watched as the humans covered themselves and darted every which way to get out of the rain. The sages looked up.

"You realize that by allowing our people to set forth and expand from our cities we run risk of drawing attention and being destroyed! The barrier is all we have to protect us! IF we take that down we could be sacked! Our armies are small our enemies could be many!" One sage scowled it was rare to see one lose composure, yet she scowled just the same.

Mateus glared at the sage his eyes showing a sort of hidden rage. The sage though did not back down. With that Mateus stood erect and calmly stood before them.

"MY great sages they know of the outside world! We allow people in and out who do not belong to us yet we trap our own inside?! We cannot face an ancient crisis that was supposedly crushed so long ago! Our people demand we expand in all directions so be it! We cannot baby our people any longer. They desire to face the world outside filled with its dangers so be it! I shall not stop them I demand you take down the barrier! I command you to!" Mateus snarled another rarity among this elegant race. The sages backed away.

"But my lord please consider..."One sage began to argue. They didn’t get far before Mateus snarled again.

"I will banish you for your insolence! I too once thought we could live our lives cooped up in our holy city yet the people want more. We break our own laws by preventing them their desire to learn. I too wish to see our kingdom become a power that everyone will recognize. The world may be filled with barbaric beings yet what good is this knowledge if it cannot be ours to share? I want to see our kingdom and its people rich with enlightenment and trade this can only happen if we leave our little hold here and go out to show the world we are a mighty people. So I ask you again my sages’ follow me are be punished..." His eyes glared at each one of them. They bowed their heads and stood silent until one spoke quietly.

"Your will be done my lord..." With that they seemed to fade into the walls disappearing to take down the barrier preventing their own people from leaving. Mateus was alone and he dropped to his knees staff clattering to the floor. He brought his hands to his face and leaned back letting the cold air consume him. Had he just condemned his people to death? Would the world accept them as kindly as the Illuminaries in the first centuries had? The Illuminaries centuries ago had raised a magical barrier to keep its people in the "garden". Yet allowed people who had learned of this mystical city in to mingle. They brought tales of magical places and ballads of great warriors. The native Palamecian who desired knowledge now too desired to seek it out in life rather then buried in the tomes the Illuminari had collected. They want to leave and build a nation whose power could be felt and knowledge renowned, not some city state. It was for this reason that the humans in the first centuries revolted the desire to see more. Now Mateus the first of the Palamecian kings had taken down this protective barrier to scatter his people like seeds into the wind with the hope they would land in a safe place.
Last edited by The knights of kings on Sun Mar 11, 2012 12:29 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The knights of kings
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The knights of kings » Sun Mar 11, 2012 4:17 pm

The times of where Palamecia had been a small city state where over, her people dispersed into a large one hundred and forty mile block. Her mighty barrier had been stripped away just as Mateus had demanded. Even if the sages complained about the kings demands they still went through with it to find that the native human populace had done well in its desire for expansion. The nation was recognized and her libraries now filled with travelers and streets filled with merchants. She was a kingdom regardless how many Illuminarians stayed in reclusive states. Tending to their music and tomes rather than meddle in the affairs of man. Mateus himself was surprised at how well the people had completed their desires. A grand bazaar was the center of commerce in all of Palamecia, her many trading posts inviting all to come and bring Palamecia more knowledge. The libraries where becoming over burdened by the collection several new libraries were to be constructed to handle the over load. Several settlements popped in and produced revue that allowed Palamecia to hold her armies however small in proper condition. She was a nation with roads no longer trapped by her own people. The Illuminarians where very welcoming of all new comers and Palamecia was earning a reputation of being a hospitable place where all could join with each other.

The dark hall way was cool and enveloping, the cold stone offering a sense of security. Mateus quietly walked down not making a sound, every foot step was a graceful maneuver and every movement of his arms a poetic song in physical form. Two Elite Genji guards accompanied him to the large golden doors which swung open before Mateus as he used his magic. Before him was a great table large and longer, on top of it was a map of the world with little markers on it each representing a unit, a settlement, a point of interest. The sages stood each with a calculating glances taking mental notes their elderly faces creased even if their skin was light. Yet each bowed before Mateus as he entered the room his smile at seeing his advisors take interest in expansion which some time ago they had been totally been against letting the humans leave the city.

"My King." One sage said continuing to bow. "If we are to continue our expansion my liege we have to take the land to the south east. Unfortunately there is a large barbaric settlement there. A giant mine that may be supplying the barbaric settlement across the lake."

"We shall head to the south east and cut off the mine. Perhaps we could negotiate them into our kingdom; I wish to expand without bloodshed. Why waste our troops in battle? We started this kingdom to allow not only more knowledge to flow in but also to fill our coffers to expand upon our experiments. We are not as fortunate as other nations to have giant magical beasts that we can depend upon for fast travel or as soldiers. We must recruit new men and take the lands to our east through negotiation." Mateus did not express any emotion keeping himself detached was a unique ability of his to not take any uncalculated risks. His eyes moved slowly examining the terrain and positions of the barbaric tribes. Yet so far nations had seemed to succeed only in vanquishing their foes. Mateus wanted to change this.

"What do you have in mind my king?" A sage asked curiously he seemed spectacle that the people of the south east would be so easily conquered. From his knowledge he knew few tribes ever went away without a fight.

"We offer them protection, we ensure them their ways safe, and we offer gifts. We learn about their customs and do what is necessary to convince them we are good people. Then when they trust us we ask them to join us in a greater kingdom allowing them to retain their ways. They join our ranks and pay small tax and they live free. Simply negotiate if they refuse then we have no other choice but to slaughter and enslave them. I hear the desert nation to the south is in a fine business for selling and purchasing of slaves..." Mateus continued on without a hint of hesitation. His voice flowing no sign of stuttering. He was sure of himself of his people and felt that if they could give the so called barbarians a chance they would see life was safer and better united then without each other.

"Shall I call the Genji warriors to move into action my liege?"

"I shall lead them personally, to show our people that the Illuminaries have not forsaken them. We are to guide them we are the divines’ messengers. I shall not falter at my purpose and neither will you. I shall bring the elite guard and some archers and foot soldiers to accompany me." Mateus began sliding several pieces representing soldiers over to the barbarian village. A smile spread across his lips, not one that was easily recognized but one that just appeared at the corner of his lips. This is what the Palamecian city state had become a kingdom. To expand its influence into the world, to take control of trade, and expand upon their knowledge. If they had continued to trap their people within the city walls there would have been a revolt. The Illuminarian people backed their human counterparts and so begins the tale of Palamecia and her journey into the world. Whether prosperity and fortune or death and destruction lay at the end no one can say for certain.
Last edited by The knights of kings on Sun Mar 11, 2012 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Return to International Incidents