NATION

PASSWORD

On the Other Side (Arcanum Earth, IC)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
The FTR
Minister

Founded: Mar 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

On the Other Side (Arcanum Earth, IC)

Postby The FTR » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:20 pm

The world has become full of wars and trade. But, one nation in particular has devoloped in isolation. This nation is located far north in the various continents and islands of the New World. It consists of beastmen exclusively, save for slaves of other species. This nation is known as Lycarnia, at least to the natives, and it is a savage and primitive coalition of tribes. The tribes have each taken an interest in a specific thing, thanks to their locations. Obviously, some tribes grew stronger than others over time.

One of these tribes is known as the Ykru'kzn. It is settled on the edge of a great body of water, known as the Stormy Sea, but the Lycarnians refer to it as Skirzk. However, with the Stormy Sea's namesake ringing true, they are unable to venture far from the shore. Ykru'kzn has several primitive ships, but these are capable of bringing back enough food from the sea.

The Ykru'kzn tribe, as all other major tribes, has formed a ramshackle city. It is common of Lycarnians for the city to be named after the tribe that formed it. The city is an underdevoloped one, containing mostly huts or teepees made from the hardly edible parts of animals. However, a few decently sized stone and wooden buildings can be found, sprinkled around the city. They are large to the Lycarnians, but compared to the outside world, the buildings are quite small.

The leader of the Ykru'kzn tribe, Kyraz Whitefur, is a Flind, like most leaders. Kyraz is jealous of the stronger tribes, and wishes to expand to the sea. But he knew, due to the dwarves south of them, that others already had a greater understanding of technology than the Gnolls themselves. He wouldn't want to talk to an empire so close to him. So he had ships go out on regular patrols, staying close enough to the shore as not to be torn asunder by the violent storms.

One of these particular boats was harvesting the very few fish to be found when something appeared on the water, in the distance. It was storming, like usual, so a fire arrow would not work. Instead, the small ship decided to wait, to see what this thing was in the distance, before telling the chieftian.
Last edited by The FTR on Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
I'll respond to a lot of titles, but I preferred to go by Forest.

Unless stated otherwise, I have disowned all of the posts, both in and out of character, that I made years ago. I would like to think that both my real, out-of-character behavior and my in-character role-playing skills have matured.

Durmatagno
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Durmatagno » Mon Dec 05, 2011 5:52 pm

The dwarven boar was anchored through the storm, though it had managed to push them closer to the coast then they had originally intended for a few more days, but one of the lookouts had spotted a small fishing boat, a rickety wooden thing, floating in the water not far off, two canine beast-men fishing in it, likely in one of the few fishing spots that exist in these cold waters. Slowly turning the ship after raising the anchor, the captain shouted over the roar of the storm "ALL RIGHT BOYS AND GIRLS, SEEMS WE FOUND US A GNOLL TRIBE WE'VE BEEN LOOKING FOR, GET YOURSELVES READY, THEY MAY BE HOSTILE SO BE SURE TO HAVE A WEAPON WITH YOURSELF AT ALL TIMES" before he set the ship forward at full speed to the boat.
When we lose one we love, our bitterest tears are called forth by the memory of hours when we loved not enough. - Maurice Maeterlinck

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love. - Washington Irving

It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get. - Confucius

The FTR
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The FTR » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:02 pm

The two creatures, a Gnoll and a Lupinoid, saw the boat approach. The Gnoll took the Lupinoid's bow and prepared to fire an arrow. The Lupinoid knew that letting this event happen was not a good idea, but for the fear of being attacked, he remained quiet. He began rowing the boat back once it was apparent, or so the beastmen think, that the much larger boat would run them over. However, it soon became obvious that at their current speed, the boat would overtake them. The Gnoll waited for the ship to come into range, and, only if it did, he would fire.

The city of Ykru'kzn saw the ship rapidly approaching, but only just. To them, they had no idea what it was. Also, due to the ship's distance, it appeared small and slow, yet close, so no one thought anything of it.

Unless stated otherwise, I have disowned all of the posts, both in and out of character, that I made years ago. I would like to think that both my real, out-of-character behavior and my in-character role-playing skills have matured.

Durmatagno
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Durmatagno » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:16 pm

Slowing the metal boat down so not to run over the small wooden boat and stopped right next to it and one of the low dwarves they had hired to translate called over the edge in a language common in trade with Gnoll hunters by dwarven trappers. "Who are you, what is the name of your tribe, and who is your tribe leader"? As the man talked, dwarves out-of-sight on the ship were packing on armor and making sure there weapons were ready in the case of a fight.
When we lose one we love, our bitterest tears are called forth by the memory of hours when we loved not enough. - Maurice Maeterlinck

There is a sacredness in tears. They are not the mark of weakness, but of power. They speak more eloquently than ten thousand tongues. They are the messengers of overwhelming grief, of deep contrition, and of unspeakable love. - Washington Irving

It is easy to hate and it is difficult to love. This is how the whole scheme of things works. All good things are difficult to achieve; and bad things are very easy to get. - Confucius

The FTR
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The FTR » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:22 pm

The Lupinoid spoke up first, realizing that if they were to fight, it would have to be at a better time. "We are fishers and scouts from the Ykru'kzn tribe, and our chieftain is named Kyraz Whitefur." The Lupinoid made sure the Gnoll could not engage the dwarves on the boat. The Gnoll lowered the bow, and stood back, watching the dialouge. The Lupinoid was intimidated by the hulking juggernaut of steel, floating in front of their little, wooden fishing boat.

Durmatagno
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Durmatagno » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:41 pm

Taking a deep breath before calling out once more, the translator called out "Take us to this, Kyraz that leads your tribe" as soon as the words left his mouth the captain called for the crew to move out once more and follow the beast-men in the small fishing boat. In the hold of the ship, the two owl-bears roared as the jolt from the engines coming back on woke them up.

The FTR
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The FTR » Mon Dec 05, 2011 6:48 pm

Without replying, the Gnoll and Lupinoid began rowing their ramshakle boat to shore. The Lupinoid kept his head down and avoided any further contact with the foreigners, while the Gnoll looked straight ahead. Both were thinking of who was on the boat, but not for a second, did the matter of what was on the boat cross their minds. They barely heard a rumble from deep within the ships, but assumed it was some thing, powered by a form of magic. To them, steampunk technology was exactly that: magic.

The Lycarnians saw the huge ship approach, so, armed with scimitars, spears, bows and other primitive weapons, the beastmen gathered on the shore, hesitantly standing back. Kyraz, along with a few bodyguards, stood behind the line of the warriors and militia, wearily watching as the boat steadily approached, following the small patrol boat.

Durmatagno
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Durmatagno » Mon Dec 05, 2011 7:06 pm

The boat slowly landed on the shore, ten heavily armed dwarves climbed down the ramp that was lowered to the ground, in front of them was the translator, behind them two more dwarves emerged, riding the owl-bears and holding long lances with a shotgun laying in their laps. A final dwarf, holding only a rifle and wearing no armor strolled through the group to the translator and whispered, which the low dwarf said to the Gnolls before them. "My name is Grock Ironhammer, I am the captain of the ship behind me, and we have been sent by President Balrog to discuss matters of importance to the leader of this tribe, now can Kyraz please step forward"?

The FTR
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The FTR » Tue Dec 06, 2011 3:42 am

What were these beasts? They were no normal dwarves, they appeared to have a raised sense of the world. Maybe their technological level was so great, they were all going to pass on into immortality. Also, they had great, foreign beasts with them. They resembled nothing ever seen by them before, as if it was a construct, beckoned from the dwarves' immortal realm. Their weapons were nothing like those the other dwarves had. The beastmen did not know the dwarves they saw were mere traders. But when they viewed the weapons they had with them, it was a suprsise. Their armor was the best, and some of the only, the Lycarnians had ever seen.

Kyraz was one of the smaller chieftians. He was only a few inches above six feet, and weighed a dozen pounds under 300, making him appear frail and malnourished. This, combined with his filthy white hair, suggested an elder. However, Kyraz Whitefur was no elder. He stepped past all of the various tribesmen, who were snarling and growling, the only way to visit newcomers, and then he began to speak, with a voice hinting at something more than pure malice, in his native tongue.

"I am Kyraz Whitefur. What is it that you wish to discuss... Ironhammer?" He didn't say anymore, instead he carefully examained the situation. As much as he and his men wanted to fight, it didn't take an idiot to realize that there were more dwarves on the ship, with no doubt having weapons only subpar to those he was looking at now.

Durmatagno
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Durmatagno » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:35 pm

"We here you have lots of dwarves and kobolds, and you have some metal thats useless to you, but dar to the south are a race that loves the stuff, we've come to work out a deal to buy the dwarves and kobolds, as well as secure permission to mine, though if our reports are right they belong to another tribe." From a bundle on the lap the captain pulls out a great sword big enough for the gnoll before him, the blade was of a good make, worthy of a dwarf clan-head, or even a council member. Placing the blade at the feet of the white Gnoll, the captain returned to the translator "there are many more where that came from, and even armor, we'd be willing to make arms and armor for dwarves, and once you run out of them, kobolds, what say you to this trade?".

http://www.portwallpaper.com/imgwal/great-sword.jpg

The FTR
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The FTR » Tue Dec 06, 2011 4:49 pm

The sword, without a doubt, looked very effective. No Lycarnian would argue with that. Also, he wouldn't mind giving up resources that were worthless to him. As a sea faring tribe, he found little use for the most of the kobolds and all of the dwarves. To his misinformed views, everything seemed to be in his favor. This would also lower his dependance on the sea, thus allowing him to expand to more important places, namely the lands of Lycarnia.

He still had thoughts of engaging the foreigners, for, like all Lycarnians, it never left his mind. However, maybe he could shrug off his violent ways with them for these weapons and armor the dwarf spoke of. He didn't think of what kind of weapons or armor, but if he had, he wouldn't have cared. Weapons practically for free. Plus, the dwarves were too rebellious, all of them. If he accepted, it would be a rip off for the dwarf.

His tone, still a harsh one, reflected vile eagerness. He wouldn't mention the fact that he thought the trade was in his favor, for that wouldn't be a very intelligent thing to say. With the tribe still snarling behind him, he said "This trade sounds fair enough. Though, you are correct, the larger deposits of... rocks are farther south. However, the tribe leader and I are friends."

Kyraz called the gold and gems rocks for that's all they were to him. He was prepared to give up what was and wasn't his, for this deal sounded so great.

Durmatagno
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Durmatagno » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:06 pm

"Well than, I guess we have a deal, we'll get to work setting up a forge where we can make the trade, and why don't you send a messenger or something to your friend to see if his interested in a similar deal, though your tribe would of course get the better stuff, after all your the ones we chose to contact first" he said, as the words left his mouth three dwarves with wheel-barrows full of stone made their way down the ramp and moved not far away before they started taking measurements. "There will be around ten dwarves in the forge at any time, not counting the traders, and remember this, should you attack the forge, you won't have the dwarves expertise in crafting weapons, only a better forge."

The FTR
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The FTR » Tue Dec 06, 2011 5:18 pm

Kyraz Whitefur replied "Of course. The messengers will leave at once. I also see no reason to attack the forge, so I assure you it will be fine." The other beastmen, at a gesture, reluctantly scattered. If one knew more about the nation of Lycarnia, it would be known that very few tribes got along well enough to trade. However, if told similar facts to what Kyraz was told, no Flind, or any species for that matter, would say no.

The chieftian dispatched three of his faster warriors, obviously Lupinoids, to make the somewhat long journey. The discussion would most likely be kept short and simple, for Kyraz had a slightly different agenda in mind. Of course, he wouldn't harm the dwarves, for that would not be a good idea at all.

Durmatagno
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Durmatagno » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:00 pm

Nodding, the captain gestured for all the dwarves to get to work building the forge, one dwarf ran back onto the boat and a low rumble was heard after a few minutes, during which a wooden base had been finished for a building with an area of 1500 feet, about thirty-seven feet long per wall, big enough for a four person human home with everything in it, two to three bedrooms. a kitchen, one to two toilets, a living room, and a foyer. Dwarves were starting to lay down the stone covering for the base when heavy thumps came from the boat. A war machines, nick-named a Iron Golem, made it's way down the ramp, the dwarf inside working the controls and flinging the massive blade up to it's shoulder, took his station between the village and the forge.

The FTR
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The FTR » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:06 pm

Those very few tribesmen who had little better to do watched from a distance, briefly, before leaving. The huge being that came out of the ship that was most likely defending the forge was obviously a monster made from some form of metal, found deep in the mountains. It was even more interesting than the two beasts, known as owlbears.

After a long journey there and back, the Zark'zysk finds the proposal to be very interesting, and the leader accepts the deal with no more hesitation than Kyraz Whitefur. Mining rights to any spot not populated is offered to the Dwarves.

Durmatagno
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Durmatagno » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:35 pm

"All righty then, we'll send some men down that way to set up after the forge is ready and we have some stuff to trade with, for now we'll stay out of the village, let your people willing to give up slaves for better arms and amor come to us while your people get used to our presence. After a little while we'll start mining what stuff you have here, and should you trade enough you could take out the tribes you don't like" the translator had the messengers send back to their leader before joining in on the project of building the forge.

The FTR
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The FTR » Tue Dec 06, 2011 6:44 pm

The message was sent, and sevaral dwarves from both tribes were given up. Neither tribe wanted to give too much away at once, for risk of loosing too much of their labor force. They also stayed out of the way of the dwarves for the most part, only during any form of trading. The tribes also offered any assistance if the dwarves needed it.

Durmatagno
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Durmatagno » Wed Dec 07, 2011 3:01 pm

Trade Report
The Peoples in the frozen lands to our north seem to not know the value of gold, and silver. In exchange for freeing our enslaved brothers and mining rights for the metal and stones they have, we have begun crafting arms and armor for them, while sub-par for our normal quality, the weapons are far beyond what they currently make. This trade deal is profitable and we get more good men and woman our nation

Zark'zysk: 100 Northern Dwarves
In return we gave them as follows
100 One Handed Swords

Ykru'kzn: 100 Dwarves
100 One Handed Swords

Captains Trade log

The captain folded the letter into it's holder before handing it to the master of the other ship set that was taking a quarter of the freed northern dwarves back home. Cracking his knuckles, the captain grabbed a pick and joined those that were still here in the project underneath the forge. Outside stood the iron golem and ten dwarven guards, inside was something the captain had envisioned for years, and soon it would be ready.
Last edited by Durmatagno on Thu Dec 08, 2011 3:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

The FTR
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The FTR » Thu Dec 08, 2011 4:22 am

The weapons given were quickly spread out, first to the Flind minorities, then to the some of the Gnolls. Past that, there were no more weapons to pass out. The two tribes began to use them to conquer nearby, small tribes. No other tribe found this to be odd behaviour, for things like it happened in Lycarnia all of the time. As for the weapons, the Lycarnians believed it just to be some new metal. They knew whatever it was, it was effective.

Gnolls were naturally agressive, but, for now, their Flind leaders kept them under control when around the dwarves. The Flinds also naturally had the instinct to attack the foreigners, but they kept it under control. Kyraz knew that if he beared with the dwarves a little longer, they wouldn't be as important. However, the giant, divine being that stood guard was rather unsettling. Inside the forge, he could only make wild theories as to how they made such amazing weaponry.

It didn't take very hard observing to realize that the natives were agressive, wanting to attack. But their superiors, also looking quite malicious, kept them under control. It was for the best, for as long as they beared with the dwarves, they would get more weapons, seemingly better than what they currently have. Of course, the Gnolls took a long time to not kill every Lupinoid or Latranoid they saw, and they barely tolerate and accept them as of now.

Durmatagno
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Durmatagno » Thu Dec 08, 2011 7:49 am

Deep Below the Forge
"Test 1, prototype 16, clear the area." A small dwarf mechanic called out as the metal monster before him was brought online by the pilot, as the monster came on, the grey hull of the golem shook slightly as the new engine sputtered for a second before coming fully online. The new dragon-glass they were receiving had been made clear, a tricky process that had killed a few dwarves experimenting with it, their bodies had been buried in stone as was the tradition, replaced the old glass cover in the chest of the golem. The mechanical aspects on the inside of the golem had been shrunk enough to move the fuel containers from the flame-throwers to the inside, the joints had been upgraded, allowing them to be stronger. If the predictions of the design were right than this would be the next generation of golems. The pilot took a few steps and tested the arms and legs of the golem, letting out a short burst from the flame throwers, another item was checked off the list.

In Zark'zysk

The mine that they had been granted was being built as they brought in the most recent shipment of weapons, escorted by four armored owl-bears and their riders, who had spears and rifles with them. In the shipment was a bundle made specialy for the leader of the tribe, smiler to the gift given to Kynar to the north. It was a axe that was designed to adhere to the tastes of the local leader while showing off the skill of the dwarven smiths.

http://ryanmitchellgames.files.wordpres ... attle1.jpg

The FTR
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The FTR » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:00 pm

Syrgryn Daggertooth, also a Flind, was bigger in everyway than most Gnolls. He was eight feet tall but was an average weight for Flinds. He knew that if he cooperated with the dwarves, his secret agenda, similar to Kynar's, would come true. All of the land, save for the areas with iron, were useless to him. The areas were he was mining were poorly constructed, and those that were ramshackle appeared to be ancient dwarven mines, most likely abandoned eons ago, for who knows why. The miners themselves were kobolds, and the progress was very slow.

Syrgryn Daggertooth accepted the deal the Dwarves offered with minimal hesitation. He didn't need the shiny rocks, they made for very ineffective weaponry. He didn't want them taking all of the iron from the land, for he used it to make weapons. He knew that he wouldn't need as much now, since the dwarves were supplying him with better weapons, but it wasn't enough for his whole army.

The axe itself was highly appreciated. However, it soon became apparent that a handful of minor tribes made a strong alliance and put some of their best warriors on the main path between these new dwarven mines and the dwarves' original location. They had yet to do anything violent, but the potential was obviously there.
Last edited by The FTR on Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Durmatagno
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Durmatagno » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:38 pm

The testing below the forge was reaching it's end, with the newest generation as perfect as it is going to get, designs where sent back to Anvill to get them ready for production, the two golems that were used in testing stepped out from the forge as the old golem was loaded onto a ship to be sent back to Autumns-Dawn for recycling. These newer ones were slightly bigger and where white not grey, they held an axe in one hand a shield in the other. On both their shoulders were flamethrowers with a thick pane of clear dragons-glass protecting the dwarf while allowing him to see. After a few hours of standing guard a group of thirty dwarves armed with Axes and rifles talked to one of them and started moving down southward to where the minor tribes had started blocking them, where they would destroy there will and take what was left as slaves to mine marble and stone back home.

The FTR
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The FTR » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:48 pm

Five dozen Lycarnians, armed with their primitive weapons, had set up a camp on the path. The warriors did not know or care why they were there, just that they had to fight. A patrol of half a dozen Lycarnians was also in the area, secretly moving around, planning on returning to base when they saw an enemy. This way, they hoped they could be prepared to fight the enemies.

Durmatagno
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Durmatagno » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:52 pm

The golem was loud making it's way down the path the dwarves had been using, ice cracked loudly under it's heavy metal feet, though it blended in with the snow and ice thanks to it's white coloring. As soon as the camp came into sight every dwarf and the golem readied their weapons and one sounded there war horn, the fifteen dwarves made a semi-circle around the rest of the dwarves as they used their rifles to shoot at the camp, only a few shots would hit at this range though.

The FTR
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby The FTR » Thu Dec 08, 2011 2:56 pm

The Lycarnians at the camp saw it coming, but when they had managed to get on their hide armor and grab their weapons, they had been surrounded. A few Gnolls were killed in the first shots, but very few hit, and the Lycarnians snarled and growled. The Gnolls and few Flinds there were had no care for their lives, so charged straight ahead, whilst the Lupiniods and Latranoids stayed back and used bows and throwing spears, which were highly ineffective.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents