NATION

PASSWORD

Aid and Comfort (FT, Invite-Only, ATTN: Raysia)

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]
Morningstar Coalition
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 23, 2009
Ex-Nation

Aid and Comfort (FT, Invite-Only, ATTN: Raysia)

Postby Morningstar Coalition » Tue Sep 01, 2009 10:34 pm

****************************************************************************************************
Sector JK42 - Raysia System - 17AU From Stellar Primary
****************************************************************************************************

The Slipstream transit was fairly gentle, or at least as gentle as the wild ride across cosmic superstrings ever got, and finally the frigate re-emerged into realspace at their destination. The vessel's shipmind launched a dozen sensor drones to confirm their location, then reported to the Reikoan captain, "Confirmed Captain, we have arrived at the Raysia system. Initial sensor readings indicate considerable E-Em traffic from further in the system."

Shuria Halaal El Naraen nodded to the holotank in response, also taking a moment to look over the sensor data coming in. "Thank you Enkatarina. Set a course for Raysia, let's stay silent for now however. I want to see how far we get before they challenge us."

"Understood captain. Should I recall the sensor drones?"

Shuria thought about that for a moment, then finally shook her head, "No. Keep them alongside at five light-seconds. There people are supposed to be friendly, we shouldn't have any problems and I'd like to have the extra sensor resolution as we go."

"Understood. Engaging Flicker drives. E-Tee-Ay is two hours, twenty-one minutes."

Engaging it's Flicker drive, the rapid "micro-teleports" moved the frigate up to three times the speed of light, it's trajectory was projected to bring it into orbit of the planet Raysia. For the first while of the frigate's flight the sensor drones remained on passive sensors only as they kept pace in formation with the frigate. If the sensors picked up any indication that the locals had detected the frigate's approach, the drones would engage active sensors in all directions, knowing that the locals tended to use fold-drives. However, for the moment the frigate moved in silence towards the planet...
Last edited by Morningstar Coalition on Thu Oct 15, 2009 5:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
FT: The Morningstar Coalition
Morningstar OOC Thread | Dossier of Embassies | The Morningstar Grand Conclave IC Thread/OOC Thread - The multi-faction ruling body of Morningstar meets here, | The Phoenix Initiative - Morningstar's bid for "immortality".
My sigged quotes got too long for Nationstates' signature limits, so now I'm collecting all future sig quotes HERE.

-Raysia-
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 25, 2009
Ex-Nation

Re: Aid and Comfort (FT, Invite-Only, ATTN: Raysia)

Postby -Raysia- » Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:24 am

An observatory orbiting one of Raysia's moons was monitoring the state of the system, trying to collaborate with the dozens of other massive sensor arrays in the Raysian star system.

The system once had a name, but for the sake of pan-galactic confusion and ease of reference, the star was now called, simply, the Raysian Star... but that's another story. Actually, that was the whole story... back the story.

"Are we picking up anything yet on the subspace scanners?" The operations chief paced around on the catwalk of the observation room, a large sphere, a single computer display, showing the sensor activity working across the skies. "Those frequencies given to us by the Kor-Star troops should be able to transmit something, right?"

"Well that's just it, they were transmitting fine, up until the space fold... and now they're not."

"Well what could be stopping the signals?"

"Well, I'm no expert, but it could be that the Rrellkhans had themselves a hiding spot already picked out. I have several pan-spectrum anomalies on that we're trying to fine-scan that could easily be masking the signals... but it's like looking for a needle in a stack of needles."

"Right... well, keep on it, expert."

"Wait, I'm getting something on locals. The local defense probes, the southwest corner redundancies are all sending their alerts... something's coming in, mean velocity of about 3 times the 'constant', realspace travel."

"Do we have a visual?"

"Nothing clear, they're not staying put long enough to expose a still image."

"Call up the RMF system-defenders. They'll love to finally get an opportunity to try out their new ships."

ooc note: the following ships do not actually have technical descriptions or graphics yet, still in the prototyping phase both OOCly and ICly :)

Within a few moments, the Raysian ships, coincidentally of a very similar FTL drive, skipped their way through space in a series of short-range folds, on an intercept course for the newcoming vessel. Pausing themselves about a half-AU in front of the ship's path, the pair of rather crudely-constructed patrol vessels sent an all-band transmission on transmitters directed straight at the alien vessel. "Unidentified ship, this is the Raysian Militia Force. Please identify yourselves and proceed no further. Raysia is currently under a temporary quarantine. Repeat, this is the RMF, identify yourselves."

ooc: also, sorry to bring in so much clutter about the other RP going on, but my mind is kinda single-track-ish... haha
Last edited by -Raysia- on Thu Sep 03, 2009 1:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
Primeworld of the Capsule Corporation
Capsule Corporation FT Storefront

Population: 3.5 Billion | [Future Tech]
[Raysian / Capsule Corporation Factbook]

All original artwork contained in these posts is (c)2010 http://jor-dan.deviantart.com/

Morningstar Coalition
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morningstar Coalition » Thu Sep 03, 2009 3:39 pm

Sector JK42 - Raysia System - MCDF "Heraldic Light"

Shuria honestly hadn't expected to make it all the way to the planet without being noticed, but her orders had been to see just how far the frigate did make it before being challenged or stopped. So it was no real surprise when the RMF vessels showed up along their flight path. "Alright Enkatarina, bring us to a stop and open a comms channel." After waiting a moment for her ship to draw to a stop at half a light-second from the RMF patrol, an audio-only transmission was sent to the Raysian ships, "This is Captain Halaal of the frigate MCDF Heraldic Light. I apologize for my intrusion into the system; our records indicated Raysia to be an open port of trade. I came here to represent my people in negotiations with Raysian and Capsule Corporation leadership to discuss trade matters. I would like to request access to the system and to arrange that meeting. You mentioned the system being under quarantine. May I inquire as to why?"

While most of the sensor drones following the frigate came to stop relative their host vessel, two of the tiny drones continued on their previous course towards the planet of Raysia. It was a risky gamble, but orders were orders. If the locals discovered the drones, Shuria had been ordered to lie to the Raysians, saying that she had lost control over the drones' drive systems and could not stop them herself.
Morningstar OOC Thread | Dossier of Embassies | The Morningstar Grand Conclave IC Thread/OOC Thread - The multi-faction ruling body of Morningstar meets here, | The Phoenix Initiative - Morningstar's bid for "immortality".
My sigged quotes got too long for Nationstates' signature limits, so now I'm collecting all future sig quotes HERE.

-Raysia-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby -Raysia- » Thu Sep 03, 2009 10:38 pm

A space of two minutes passed before a response came from the pair of prototype patrol vessels, "MCDF Heraldic Light, we are unfamiliar with your vessel. While Raysia remains a neutral system welcoming of alien travelers, recent events have caused us to enact certain safety measures. A ship's name is, unfortunately, not sufficient identification. Raysia, or perhaps the Capsule Corporation, would be happy to open trade talks, but I am afraid we'll need an affiliation or planet of origin to identify you before we can allow you to pass. Also, as Raysia is currently under quarantine, we may ask your people to sign a waver in order to enter the atmosphere. RMF, over."

The two vessels drifted thrustlessly in no particular direction whatsoever... sublight speeds would take them many hours to close the distance to the underidentified vessels, and so they made no effort to intercept.

Conversations traded back and forth via message pod exchange between the patrol and the Raysian Militia command systems.

"John, I'm getting something," the tactical officer aboard one of the ships started, "The vessel's paused long enough to get a clear desc, she matches the description of some of the vessels known to allied databases as TRIAD-origin."

The commander turned, a smile on her face, "Good to know, I guess we'll see how they respond."
Last edited by -Raysia- on Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:08 pm, edited 2 times in total.

All original artwork contained in these posts is (c)2010 http://jor-dan.deviantart.com/

Morningstar Coalition
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morningstar Coalition » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:44 pm

Shurai sighed and frowned as the Raysian response came in. Her superiors had been split down into three camps: One wanted to try and bluff their way under the mantle of TRIAD, another wanted to keep their true identity secret in case things went badly, and the third didn't see the point now that the Corporation no longer mattered. Shuria was one of the latter herself, and being caught in a lie would hurt relations more than any of the other options. "Well I suppose there's no point in hiding it. We won't get anywhere with these people if we don't identify ourselves. Open the channel. Raysian patrol, I am representing the Morningstar Coalition, a collection of refugees from the former power TRIAD Enterprises. What is the nature of the quarantine? If it's serious, I'd like to request a meeting aboard either a ship or orbiting station. Standing by."

"Do you believe they will allow us access?" The shipmind's tone was filled with concern. Much was riding on this meeting.

Shuria shook her head, "My instincts tell me they will. Everything I read in the reports on these people is that they're too naive and open to turn us away. A lot like TRIAD used to be in fact."

-Raysia-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby -Raysia- » Thu Sep 03, 2009 11:44 pm

Another moment passed as messages were exchanged across the system, then the open broadcast continued over the channel that had now been established. "Acknowledged, MCDF Vessel, you are cleared to approach the planet. We can meet in orbit at the Raysia City Starport, or you can come down to the planet. The other night we experienced an outbreak of an unknown origin, we lost millions. It seems to be under control, but there's a possibility of an aftershock. It's all up to your preference. In the meantime, we'll be waiting for you in orbit. RMF, out."

The pair of ships came about, still long distant from the Heraldic Light, and charged up the short-range TSF drive, which quickly energized and left the space as vacant as it had been a few moments before their arrival. A few moments later, they arrived back in orbit of Raysia, awaiting the arrival of the Morningstar vessel.

Morningstar Coalition
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morningstar Coalition » Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:26 am

Shurai sighed again, this time in relief when the Raysian's agreed to let them through. She was somewhat concerned about that mentioned outbreak, as the RMF ship hadn't mentioned what kind of outbreak it had been. Shuria wasn't afraid exactly, however it didn't pay to take unneeded risks, so she decided to meet the Raysians in orbit. "'Rina, do we have enough exotic fuel for a fold jump into orbit?"

"I'm afraid not. We would only be able to cover half the distance with present fuel supplies."

Shuria muttered a curse to half a dozen different deities, "Fine, fire up the Flicker drives. At least those only require electrical energy. Hopefully the Raysians might have some clue where we can get more Zentradi fuel. Otherwise we're going to have to trade for different fold systems, and that'll be a lot more expensive than fuel. Alright, get us into orbit."

The frigate re-engaged it's previous drive, a system which only allowed the ship to teleport a kilometer at a time, but did so hundreds of thousands of times per second. Using this drive, the frigate moved up to what appeared to be three times the speed of light, covering the remaining distance to planetary orbit in only another hour. There they followed the RMF's instructions to dock with the Starport's orbital platform. "Keep the engines hot 'Rina. I don't think we'll need to, but I want to be able to get out of here as fast as we can, just in case."
Shuria then left the bridge and went down to the module holding the docking collar, giving what fur was exposed a light brushing before stepping into the airlock and waiting for it to cycle over. Another glance in the reflective chainglass viewport showed her midnight-blue uniform was spotless and well pressed, her fur shifting over to a dull rust red in rosette pattern where it showed through on her exposed arms and collar. Hopefully the locals were as friendly as TRIAD's records indicated...
Last edited by Morningstar Coalition on Fri Sep 04, 2009 12:38 am, edited 2 times in total.

-Raysia-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby -Raysia- » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:11 am

"Jack, come on, what's with your flying today?" The female voice came out as a shout from the second seat of the Kumen-class gunship, piloted by the Capsule Corporation representative. The ship jerked side to side and up and down as the man put the thing through her paces.

"Oh, really, you surfacers keep all this good AdamWorks tech for yourselves. I'm stuck with the market grade Capsule Corp stuff!"

"Well it was your choice, buddy. You joined the Capsule Corporation right out of college... you just had to be a galactic politician representing one of best synthetic-ship builders in the verse."

"Well, yeah! You get to stay on the surface, and I get stuck up here in orbit, staring down at everyone. I've gotta have some fun. The last time I even got off-world was when I had to go check out the competition in the Grittonian Banking Syndacate... what a joke."

The gunship approached orbit on a supply of liquid rocket fuel, leaving a long streak of smoke and vapor behind her, and quickly approaching the Raysia City Starport, hovering in geosynchronous orbit over the planet's capital city of the same name. Switching to ion-xl propulsion, the closest thing the RMF had to a shuttle guided itself toward the station. Of course, Jack wouldn't have some Autopilot telling his bird how to fly. Disengaging the safety protocols, he did a fly-by at a relative 200 kph, buzzing right past the Heraldic Light still pulling into dock.

Coming about quickly, the shuttle's engines fired and came into alignment with a landing pad near the MCDF vessel. Attracted in by the image of gravity projected by the deck plates below, the ship came to a stop right on the pad, landing in the midst of a trapped atmosphere.

With a hiss, the canopy opened, atmospheric pressure matching perfectly to normal Raysian standards. Both Jack and the female climbed out of the gunship and quickly walked the short distance to the neighboring docking pylon.

As they turned the last corner, both suddenly changed their pace, casually approaching the airlock as it primed for opening. The two figures were dressed rather formally, but not anything to intimidate. Jack Capsule stood about 2 meters tall, sporting a short brown haircut, and wearing military slacks with a classy designer shirt underneath his leather Capsule Corporation jacket. His counterpart, Heather Raysia, had curly blonde hair with genetically-natural highlights of magenta throughout. She wore a pair of military slacks, an RMF leather Jacket, and a rather attractive lava-print blouse underneath.

They awaited the door's opening.

Morningstar Coalition
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morningstar Coalition » Fri Sep 04, 2009 1:28 am

Sector JK42 - Raysia System - Raysia City Starport

The final light switched over to green and the external hatch opened, recessing into the hull and revealing the two humans to Shuria. What surprised the Reikoan was that she actually recognized the male as Jack Capsule. His image and name were on record from the Galactic Assembly meeting, and Shuria was curious what such a prominent member of Raysia's government was doing coming down to greet her in person. Still, perhaps that was just how the Raysians preferred to handle things. Stepping forwards, the skunk-like being smiled in what she hoped was a friendly manner, keeping her lips covering her teeth, "Thank you for allowing me to come here. My name is Captain Shuria Halaal El Naraen of the Morningstar Coalition's Defense Fleet." She spoke in perfect Instella, which for all intents was just a slightly accented version of what locals called Galactic Basic, or on some worlds was very similar to English.

-Raysia-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby -Raysia- » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:07 am

Since it was a Raysia-controlled starport, Heather spoke up first, slowly pronouncing the name, "Welcome, Shuria... I am Heather Raysia, representing the local planetary government, and my colleague here is Jack Capsule, chief political representative of the Capsule Corporation."

Jack was always fascinated by alien species, a look easily reflected in his eyes as he extended his hand to the creature. "Morningstar Coalition, eh? We had hardly just begun to open relations with the TRIADs less than a year ago. It's rather sad that they've fallen apart so suddenly. We have so many questions, and naturally I'm sure you want to stretch your legs a bit after a trip such as yours... given that, would you mind if we walk?" He then turned sideways to extend his free hand in a gesturing motion toward the hallway, smiling, "I find these airlocks rather uncomfortable."

Morningstar Coalition
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morningstar Coalition » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:31 am

Shuria gave quick nod for Heather, and a firm grip for Jack, "It would be an understatement to say that it was a surprise for those of us who have been left behind. We are a scattered people now, with no homeland and little chance of survival on our own I am sad to say. Please, lead the way and I will try to answer whatever questions you have." Her examination of the two humans was less curious, more formal and polite; she'd seen plenty of humans that these didn't appear to hold any surprises for the Captain.
Opening a encrypted radio channel over her neural implants, she contacted the frigate's shipmind, Enkatarina. 'Rina, get a hold of the fleet on the Resonance Comms, tell them I'm meeting with the Raysian government now and will attempt negotiations. Let me know immediately if there's any replies or developments.

Understood Captain. Good luck.

With no outward signs of just how nervous she was, Shuria followed Heather and Jack...

-Raysia-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby -Raysia- » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:55 am

As they walked a short ways, Heather replied to her comments with a compassionate tone, "well, land's one thing we have to spare. Raysia remains a neutral haven and harbor for any who seek shelter from the oppressive and dangerous forces out there. When we get to the conference room, I'll show you some of the technology we have at our disposal to maintain this peaceful planet. I assure you that you can always find safe refuge in our system. IRON, hermes, GCP, all the major powers... none have any influence or control here."

Jack nodded, "I'm afraid I am not all caught up on the TRIAD people... what can you tell me about yourselves? Or for that matter, what made you want to find us?"

As he finished his question, he motioned his hand over a door sensor, causing the pneumatic french doors to swing open. Now revealed was a 30 meter long conference room, with wide curved windows perfectly framing the Raysian Horizon. The room's lighting flickered on to a fuller brightness as the trio entered, and a number of panels lit up with computer terminal information. Specifications on the planet, live video feeds from the surface, and slideshows of defense technology flickered onto the windows.

Jack, even though he represented the Capsule Corporation, decided to focus more primarily on Raysia, letting Heather have her turn to brag about the planet and the people below.

ooc: adding color-coding so I don't feel like a flareless dork :P

Morningstar Coalition
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morningstar Coalition » Fri Sep 04, 2009 3:13 am

Though she appreciated the sentiment of Heather's words, Shuria knew that these people were in some ways similar in mentality to those who had led TRIAD. Their motivations were profits, and Shuria heard the sales pitch the woman tried to give. "Thank you for your words, it's a promising start. However, politics alone are not the only threat that can end a people. No, I'm afraid our worries are those of a military forced to become a whole nation, with none of the pillars of support a civilian populace brings. Food, water, fuel, ammunition, resources. All are in short supply without the industrial and commercial might of TRIAD we once existed upon. We will need to barter what we do have for these things that we need, and cannot yet produce for ourselves."

As they entered the room, Shuria looked at each of the displays in her field of view for a second or two each, the implants in her eyes recording everything. No detail was too small that it was not important, and with some of these displays seemingly showing technical readouts, they could be useful. Finally however she sat down and turned to face Jack, "TRIAD was a nation of many species. Roughly a dozen in total, though some are more numerous than others. I believe there are still members of eight of those now stranded here in this universe; my own species are the Reikoan. As for why we sought you out... Of all the nations that TRIAD had friendly relations with, yours was simply the closest to our fleet. I am here to attempt to arrange trade for the resources we need to become self-sufficient again. I am authorized to offer technology, information, or even military service in exchange."

-Raysia-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby -Raysia- » Fri Sep 04, 2009 2:09 pm

Jack smiled, his eyes widening as he was prematurely surprised with his cue. "Actually, my friend, the Capsule Corporation has a tech base highly similar to your own. We might be able to help out with the fuel and ammunition. We happen to be shipwrights, dealing in synthetic technologies gained from all across the verse."

Heather tried her hardest to hide the hint of competition that was beginning to brew between the two parties. "Yes, the Capsule Corporation is a great front for trade and naturally in intergalactic politics, but if you seek help from our world, I'm sure you could find support from our people. We seem to be finding ourselves in a major surplus right now, due to the millions leaving to maintain the new Capsule colonies. I'm sure you'd be able to barter for supplies rather easily with us."

Jack's eyes flared again, then he quickly added "with both of us, really. We share the same economy between us all. It wouldn't be hard to establish relations with the both of us."

Morningstar Coalition
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morningstar Coalition » Fri Sep 04, 2009 8:10 pm

Shuria was somewhat taken aback by the seeming competition between Jack and Heather. She'd knew that Keflek, which had originated under the auspices of Capsule Corp, was an independent political entity, but Shuria had thought that at least here on their homeworld there would only be one such political power. Apparently Capsule Corp and the planet Raysia were distinct and separate. If they were genuine in their willingness to help supply the Morningstar fleet with what it needed to survive and expand, then Shuria herself didn't care which entity they were dealing with. Very well then. I have been given a list of the most urgently needed supplies. At present we have nearly ten million military personnel packed aboard only a few hundred vessels of various types and sizes. Water, food, and atmosphere supplies will become dangerously low within a week. We do not have sufficient resource-gathering vessels to fully supply our fusion reactors with fuel, deuterium, tritium, and neutronium superfluid.

We have a handful of Foundry ships, which are able to construct modules for attachment to Spire frames; however even the Foundry ships do not have sufficient space or facilities to construct the spires themselves. Without access to our home dimension, we no longer have access to the exotic matter elements needed for much of our technology, especially all gravitic applications. We can no longer manufacture chainglass, case-hardened ceramal, and other construction materials in the quantities necessary for shipbuilding. We will need to use alternative methods of harnessing gravitic applications." The Reikoan took a moment to consult with Enkatarina, then continued. "The greatest asset of TRIAD's gravitic technology was it's very low energy requirements. If we are forced to use an alternate technology with higher energy consumption, we will have to begin replacing our power sources and energy transfer systems. This may require complete re-designs of existing ship schematics."

Again Shuria paused to let all that sink in, then leaned forwards intently, "Can your people help provide what we need? If so, what will be the cost?"

-Raysia-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby -Raysia- » Sat Sep 05, 2009 12:19 am

Jack smiled, "The Capsule Corporation has technology similar to your own, and it's extremely adaptable. I'm afraid we don't have too much in the way of exotic particles and gravitic technology, but we can supply you with powerplants and life support." He gestured his hand toward a monitor, and without any visible interface he displayed a large amount of publicly available data on the standard market-grade Capsule Corp power generation technology. "Our standard powerplant tech is organic fusion, scalable from the smallest nanobots to the largest capital starships. It outputs electricity and can also be used as weaponry when fed back upon itself. This technology is called Chlorophusion. We can teach you to farm and harvest this stuff on your own world, or even on an agriculture ship. It can be used to power cities, or even individual households."

Heather chimed in, "Raysia is the Primeworld of a set of colonies and territories managed through the medium of the Capsule Corporation. We all work together to support new-growing colonies until they can become self-sufficient. The organization allows every world to retain their own sovereignty while being subsidized and defended by the common militia and politicians. Raysia maintains several small colonies within our reach, while other Subsidiaries such as Keflek maintain control over a few of their own. Keflek and Raysia are the only terra-similar worlds, and thusly are the Prime and Secondary worlds, respectively. Many of the others have been established in harsher planets and moons. Some are in constant need of support and have no means of self-sufficiency.

"The point is, we would be more than willing to take you under our wing and support your colony until you can become self-reliant. We can give you foodstuffs, water, fresh air transplants, whatever you may need in your growing colonies."

Jack nodded, then added "all we ask is that, for the time being, you don't pursue any course that would endanger the Capsule Corporation worlds as a whole. We have ourselves a small set of rules, just to keep things peaceable between the CC worlds... namely that we don't endanger each other or prohibit trade between one another. Besides these points, we could take you in as a Capsule Corporation subsidiary world and expect next-to-nothing in return. Heh," he started, with a smile, "if some of the folk in the Corporation had it their way, we'd probably make you repay every dime we loan you... but we found that the returns for grooming an ally and friend are far more valuable than the direct repayment of a few years of a trade deficiency."

Heather smiled again, "it's a new thing we're trying out... but we'd appreciate it if you brought it up with your people."

Morningstar Coalition
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morningstar Coalition » Sat Sep 05, 2009 4:17 pm

As the two representatives explained the offer Raysia and Capsule Corp were making, where Shuria's fur was exposed the color slowly changed from it's previous rust-red into a pale shade of yellow. When Jack and Heather were finished, Shuria leaned back and settled into her seat, "I will certainly bring this up with the Fleet Admiralty, however I have some questions first regarding your offer. I will need them answered before I can consider if this is best for our people."

Sighing softly, Shuria paused a moment to consider her questions carefully, it wouldn't do to offend these people by misspeaking. "It sounds as if this arrangement would effectively make the Coalition a protectorate of either or both Capsule Corp and Raysia for the duration of the arrangement. Is this the case? If so, how long will this arrangement last? Yes, you said until we are 'on our feet', however what criteria will you use to determine when that is accomplished? Furthermore, what will be expected of the Coalition? Will we be asked to share our military, technological, or other resources? Finally, what resources of your people will be given access to?"

"While the other questions are important enough, it is this last question I need answered the most. We need to construct additional industrial ships to support our fleet. At the moment the Admiralty has decided to remain as mobile as possible, and that means we will not be settling any planets anytime soon. We will need agricultural ships, more foundry ships, resource harvesters, and passenger transports for our population. Some among our people have suggested that we employ biotechnology solutions to our population problems, so we will need ships to contain those facilities as well. Will we be granted access to ship-building and manufacturing facilities if we become your protectorate?"

-Raysia-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby -Raysia- » Sun Sep 06, 2009 2:08 am

Heather smiled, a slight chuckle behind her voice, "I understand the 'verse is a dangerous and scummy place, but charity does still exist. We don't expect anything in return. The terms of the contract are basically limited to what I already mentioned. You will never be required to fight for us, if anything we'll fight for you so long as you maintain the conditions of the subsidies... in this case, you would be within the reach of the Raysian Militia Force, should you both choose to accept our protection and maintain a strict non-provocation international policy... you can't exactly expect us to protect you if you go around picking fights. Supporting and sustaining Hermes or IRON activity in your system would most likely void our protection.

"As for technology, you will naturally have Raysian-quality technology available to you as you should need it. Our technology is all open-source, as opposed to the Capsule Corporation's synthetic technology. You will not be expected to share anything at all in return... there are no obligations. But, the chances are that your economy will be trading with our own economy, mainly for the non-essential and recreational imports. Given enough time, we'll probably build technology exchange relations. However, we Raysians tend to be purists, using only technology that we have developed ourselves through the long and well-earned process of technological and scientific evolution... but you're more than welcome to learn from us should you have a real desire."

Jack nodded, then jumped back into the conversation, taking a slow pace across the window-wall. "Really, we're just talking about subsidizing your nation. No obligations, just a few conditions. You asked about when the subsidies would end... well, to be honest that's a matter of adjudication. We'll have a meeting between our leaders, our economists, and your leaders, and your economists, and have a discussion, debate, and vote as a council. It's a matter that can be worked out when and if we write up the contracts, but you can set your own terms, and we'll see what happens. Of course, at any time you may claim independence, and we'll cut you off as quick as you like."

Heather smiled, then added "we find that friends are a good thing to have in this galaxy. Alliances are just paper contracts that can be altered or backed out of without moral objection or regret... Truthfully, an relationship built on mutual construction and goodwill and charity is one that will have much deeper ties than any alliance. We do not have a government-controlled military, we do not go to war over trivial things. We stay neutral and independent of any galactic disputes, and these friendships and deep ties run are beginning to run into every major alliance in the Milky Way... at least, that's our hope. Fear not that we will ever take advantage of you or drop your name, for all we hope is to have friends that can help us maintain our independence through political relations rather than military strength. Naturally, we would do the same for you in return."

Jack turned to look at the wall, waving his hand in front of one of the large screens, displaying a sort of hierarchy chart. "On a quick note about the Capsule Corporation... we are an economical/political representation of the collection of worlds that are inhabited by the Raysian race... who themselves are anciently of the race that ran the original Capsule Corporation. We are a reincarnation of the original superpower, and deal primarily in interstellar trade. We are the medium through which our subsidiary territories and clientele receive their much needed goods. Raysia is the Primeworld, meaning something similar to a Capital... though they nor we govern the individual systems... that's up to them to handle their own government. You would not be required to run a Capsule flag, but you would be labeled as a Subsidiary." He smiled, then wiped the screens back to their defaults with a quick gesture, "so, what else would you need to tell your superiors?"

Morningstar Coalition
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morningstar Coalition » Sun Sep 06, 2009 3:06 am

Shuria listened intently to the two humans, finally nodding and smiling at the end, "I believe that covers my own concerns. We are not TRIAD, however we've inherited some of their culture; specifically where it concerns our desire for self-regulation without foreign intervention. It sounds like you are in effect trading your assistance for our political goodwill on your behalf. Is this an accurate assessment? If this is the case, then I personally see no problems with the arrangement, and I am willing to make the recommendation to the Admiralty that we accept the offer. Thank you for your hospitality Mrs. Raysia, Mr. Capsule."

After standing and offering a quick bow, Shuria turned to Heather, "I am curious about one more thing. You mentioned before that Capsule Corp deals in 'synthetic technology', while Raysian technology was open-source. What exactly is synthetic technology, and what did you mean by open-source?"

-Raysia-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby -Raysia- » Sun Sep 06, 2009 6:15 pm

Jack thought on it for a few seconds, then replied "they're probably not the best words to describe it, but Capsule's market-grade technology is mixed with materials and technologies that have been collected from all across the universe, while Raysian technology tends to be constructed of wholly original materials."

Heather chuckled, overtaking the conversation, "it's the difference between a dog that's been crossbred over and over for a specific purpose, and a dog that's been genetically constructed from the ground up. One isn't necessarily better than the other, but the Capsule ships are basically just the best of what can be assembled using parts available on the intergalactic market, while Raysia uses whatever they've designed and built on their own. Our relatively puritan views on spaceflight and technology have allowed us to develop technologies that would be completely overlooked by those who operate solely on the existing techs. We use the word synthetic to describe those crossbreeds, while Raysian tech is often called open-source because it can be understood, modified, produced, and applied, by anyone. Every technology used on our ships can be taught and understood by the end of high school, and can be mastered by anyone who wishes to put forth the effort. Some of the techs out there in the universe were developed by races that passed away millions of years ago, and their technology can only be copied or cloned... the applications can change, but very few actually understand how every principle works to the point where they can recreate it from scratch. We just prefer to use the stuff that we actually know how to use. Simply being able to maintain and produce something like a hyperdrive is already a major undertaking... but modifying it to serve alternate purposes? Nigh impossible.

She walked toward one of the screens, and in the same moment the display lit up with information on a few basic technologies. "This here is a standard plasma shield generator. Erect a large enough shell around a vessel and it will deflect radiation and absorb most photonic energy weapons. Erect a one-way force field over a duct and you've got yourself a thruster. Pump enough energy into a contained shell and you'll have yourself a key element of the spacefold or ZXL drive. Infinite possibile applications, infinite combinations."

Morningstar Coalition
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morningstar Coalition » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:22 pm

Shuria listened to the lecture silently, then chuckled softly at the end. "I understand. What you call synthetic technology we refer to as Outworld. Technologies designed by other cultures and species, re-purposed for our own needs. Well then perhaps your people at AdamWorks can help us figure out suitable alternatives for what we can no longer obtain from TRIAD supplies. In any case, I believe I can take my recommendations to the Admiralty now. Unless you have any further questions, I'll return to the fleet. Once the Admiralty has made it's decision, I'll bring back word."

-Raysia-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby -Raysia- » Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:49 pm

Jack extended his hand to the furry diplomat, "it's been a pleasure, and I hope we hear back from your people soon."

Heather, as well extended her hand, reciprocating whatever alien gesture, if any, that Shuria would give her. "Feel free to explore around the station, you may even visit the surface if you please... we have some fairly open borders on Raysia. Or if you must return to your ship we certainly wouldn't be offended. We thank you for coming to us, and hearing out our proposal, so be sure to relay whatever questions your government may have!" The smile on her face brightened once again as she led the trio toward the door of the conference room, killing the lights as they stepped through the threshold.
Last edited by -Raysia- on Sun Sep 06, 2009 8:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Morningstar Coalition
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Morningstar Coalition » Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:28 pm

Shuria stood, shook both their hands, then gave a simple bow from the waist. "I would like to take you up on that offer, however I must return to the fleet as soon as possible to give my report. I'm confident that I will be back however, and I look forwards to your hospitality at that time. Thank you both for your time." Another bow, and Shuria left at a brisk but unhurried pace, returning to her ship. 'Rina, begin pre-flight checks and ready for launch as soon as I am aboard. I want to get back to the fleet as quickly as possible with the news.

The frigate's shipmind silently obeyed, but was waiting for her commander to step through the airlock. As soon as the inner hatch was sealed, the frigate cast off ties and began pulling away from the Raysian station, answering traffic control queries and instructions in an efficient manner. A portion of Enkatarina's mind followed Shuria however as the Reikoan made her way to the bridge, "Do you believe we can trust them?"

Glancing at the holo-tank as she entered the bridge, shaking her head in annoyance at the digital entity's caution, "At this point in time I don't think it matters what I think, or if we can trust them or not. The fact is we don't really have a better alternative. If we don't accept the Raysian's offer, it won't be long before the Fleet will be forced to resort to piracy and raiding just to survive. How long do you think we'll last once we start pissing the wrong people off?" Shuria gave a sad shake of her head, "No 'Rina. This is our people's best chance for survival and growth. However for the record, if it makes you feel any better... Yes, I do believe we can trust them. They're corporate, like TRIAD, but they seem a lot more open about it than TRIAD ever was. I don't think they'll offer us much resistance when Morningstar eventually chooses to leave their protection."

"Very well Captain. Adjusting course for the slip-point. Ee-tee-ay to Slipstream is two hours, and we should be back with the fleet in no more than ten."

Shuria nodded and turned away from the holotank, "Fine. I'll be in my quarters then, taking as long and hot a shower as I can. Once we get back to the fleet I won't have that luxury again for a while. Call me when we're ten minutes to Slipstream." With that Captain Shuria Halaal El Naraen left the bridge to go enjoy the ship's water supplies, which while she'd been alone on this ship she could enjoy as much as she wanted, however once back with the fleet she would be under the same ration guidelines as every one of the other anxious refugees...
Last edited by Morningstar Coalition on Mon Sep 07, 2009 3:29 pm, edited 1 time in total.

-Raysia-
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby -Raysia- » Tue Sep 08, 2009 3:22 am

Jack and Heather nodded and watched as the reikoan returned back toward her ship. Without even a warning, the Raysian representative pulled her capsulian friend back into the conference room, letting out an excited laugh that could be heard down the corridor, up until the door closed shut.

They watched as the ship belonging to their new friend quickly blasted off toward the Raysian slipgate (which had, apparently, always been there, somehow).

TO BE CONTINUED...

(cue TNG music)

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents