NATION

PASSWORD

RPing Questions? Ask Here!

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Great Palkia
Diplomat

Founded: May 03, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Palkia » Mon Jun 13, 2016 7:55 pm

I have been playing Nation States for about four months now and I want to create an international incident. The only problem is, I don't have anyone to play the role of the bad nation. I see that a lot of people just make up their own bad guy but how would that work? Would it be better to get another nation to fill the spot of the bad nations or should I just make up a bad nation and choose the choices for them?

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rhodevus » Mon Jun 13, 2016 8:02 pm

Great Palkia wrote:I have been playing Nation States for about four months now and I want to create an international incident. The only problem is, I don't have anyone to play the role of the bad nation. I see that a lot of people just make up their own bad guy but how would that work? Would it be better to get another nation to fill the spot of the bad nations or should I just make up a bad nation and choose the choices for them?

It is all a matter of control. How much control do you want over how the international incident is run? If you control the baddie yourself, then you can control the main storyline. You are able to lead the roleplay the way you want it and direct it to various engagements of your own choosing.

If you allow another nation to be the baddie, you lose some of that control. They may throw some twists which you did not think of. It may make the RP better, it may make it worse. It is all chance.

As someone who has tried it both ways, I prefer controlling my villain, but that is just me. Playing with another nation as the badguy can be loads of fun. They change the RP into something where you are the leader and navigator into a place where you are also the player, trying to figure out how to move around a seperate player.
She/Her
IATA Member Embassy Character Creation 101
Do not argue against me, you will lose...or win, depending on the situation
The Official Madman with a Box
Rodrania wrote:Rhod, I f*cking love you, man. <3
Divergia wrote:The Canadian Polar-Potato-Moose-Cat has spoken!
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook
International Exchange Student Program Member
XENOS MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

Zahlung
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Zahlung » Tue Jun 14, 2016 8:24 pm

So I'm pretty new to Nation States and have taken the time to read through a bunch of introductory materials on RP'ing here and I really like the idea. I was dissatisfied with my current nation (for an RP'ing perspective) so I created this one to participate. However, I don't quite follow how to actually start role playing. All of the threads I've seen have thousands of posts and seem well established. I assume it would be bad form to try and barge in to one of them. Where can I find new RPs and, as a new player, am I welcome to join them? Or is there a dedicated newbie section I should head to to get a hang of things?

Thanks for your help,
Zahlung

Murovanka
Minister

Founded: Sep 20, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Murovanka » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:08 pm

Zahlung wrote:So I'm pretty new to Nation States and have taken the time to read through a bunch of introductory materials on RP'ing here and I really like the idea. I was dissatisfied with my current nation (for an RP'ing perspective) so I created this one to participate. However, I don't quite follow how to actually start role playing. All of the threads I've seen have thousands of posts and seem well established. I assume it would be bad form to try and barge in to one of them. Where can I find new RPs and, as a new player, am I welcome to join them? Or is there a dedicated newbie section I should head to to get a hang of things?

Thanks for your help,
Zahlung

Take a look around II; those labeled [OPEN] you are more often than not welcome to join. As you've already read up on the introductory materials, the next step I suppose would be to read others' posts and see how they do it. As long as you're willing to keep an open mind there shouldn't be a problem.
Your moderate, peaceful Salafi-German-Turko nation, promoter of peace, justice and democracy
Founder of Stille Nacht
Military | Factbooks

Akastan (Ancient)
Civilian

Founded: Apr 17, 2016
Ex-Nation

Greetings from Akastan

Postby Akastan (Ancient) » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:12 pm

Good morning. My name is Senator Benjamin Fraser, and I'm the head of the government of Akastan. I'd like to ask if there are any requirements before I can post on the Forum here on NationStates.
Could someone please reply to this ASAP.

Thanks,
I won't declare war on you unless you are annoying.

Shazbotdom
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 28, 2004
Anarchy

Postby Shazbotdom » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:18 pm

Akastan wrote:Good morning. My name is Senator Benjamin Fraser, and I'm the head of the government of Akastan. I'd like to ask if there are any requirements before I can post on the Forum here on NationStates.
Could someone please reply to this ASAP.

Thanks,
I won't declare war on you unless you are annoying.

This thread is not in character, threatening people with invasion here is not really needed.
ShazWeb || IIWiki || Discord: shazbertbot || 1 x NFL Picks League Champion (2021)
CosmoCast || SISA || CCD || CrawDaddy || SCIA || COPEC || Boudreaux's || CLS || SNC || ShazAir || BHC || TWO
NHL: NYR 1 - 0 WSH | COL 0 - 1 WPG | VGK 0 - 0 DAL || NBA: NOLA (8) 0 - 1 OKC (1)
NCAA MBB: Tulane 22-18 | LSU 25-16 || NCAA WSB: LSU 35-10

Zahlung
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 14, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Zahlung » Tue Jun 14, 2016 9:20 pm

Murovanka wrote:Take a look around II; those labeled [OPEN] you are more often than not welcome to join. As you've already read up on the introductory materials, the next step I suppose would be to read others' posts and see how they do it. As long as you're willing to keep an open mind there shouldn't be a problem.

Thanks for the advice :)

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Tue Jun 14, 2016 10:23 pm

Murovanka wrote:
Zahlung wrote:So I'm pretty new to Nation States and have taken the time to read through a bunch of introductory materials on RP'ing here and I really like the idea. I was dissatisfied with my current nation (for an RP'ing perspective) so I created this one to participate. However, I don't quite follow how to actually start role playing. All of the threads I've seen have thousands of posts and seem well established. I assume it would be bad form to try and barge in to one of them. Where can I find new RPs and, as a new player, am I welcome to join them? Or is there a dedicated newbie section I should head to to get a hang of things?

Thanks for your help,
Zahlung

Take a look around II; those labeled [OPEN] you are more often than not welcome to join. As you've already read up on the introductory materials, the next step I suppose would be to read others' posts and see how they do it. As long as you're willing to keep an open mind there shouldn't be a problem.

Even if a thread is labeled [CLOSED] or [SEMI-OPEN], feel free to TG the OP of the thread asking about it. Many of the RP groups/regions on NS are always happy to get new members, so if you find an RP you like--even if you can't participate in that specific RP--it could be worthwhile to TG the OP about it, and see what options there are for you.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Wed Jun 15, 2016 12:25 pm

Akastan wrote:I'd like to ask if there are any requirements before I can post on the Forum here on NationStates.

Yes, registering an account. Since you've clearly already done that, all the requirements are fulfilled. Post away!

However, you might want to be aware of a few things. Most importantly, as Shazbotdom has rightly noted, there's the in-character/out-of-character distinction. Don't let in-character disputes get to you; just because my country's at war with yours doesn't mean I have anything against you. Similarly, just because you don't like a guy doesn't mean you should automatically go to war with him or embargo him. Don't let personal disagreements translate into roleplayed ones or vice versa.

Also, threads like this one (and any thread marked [OOC]) are entirely out of character. No need for roleplay. [IC] denotes threads where you absolutely should not have conversations out of character; at most you can tack on a little note like "OOC: Is his name Johnson or Jensen?" or "Let me know how many ships you're deploying."

If you've any other questions getting started, please ask!
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Minroz
Powerbroker

Founded: Nov 24, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Minroz » Thu Jun 16, 2016 6:04 am

I was working on my AU-verse as of recently. I've been thinking of making one-shot stories based in my AU canon. So where do I can post them in NS?

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Postby Rhodevus » Thu Jun 16, 2016 11:16 am

MInroz wrote:I was working on my AU-verse as of recently. I've been thinking of making one-shot stories based in my AU canon. So where do I can post them in NS?

If the AU involves NS nations, then in II.
Otherwise, the best place is P2TM
She/Her
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook

Islamic Republic of Aceh
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Republic of Aceh » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:08 pm

Hallo,
I made a thread, http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=380226, but I have a feeling that it might made in the wrong forum. Is that true? If yes, then what I can do?
Last edited by Islamic Republic of Aceh on Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud member of the International Exchange Student Program!
IATA Member
Full Member of the International Space Agency
Member of the World Nuclear Power Organization, Join Today.
Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation
Pro : Democracy, Pluralism
Anti : Religious extremism

Embassy Program of Aceh:
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=353048
(In UFS, my nation's name is the State of Aceh)

Santheres
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 29, 2005
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Santheres » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:22 pm

Islamic Republic of Aceh wrote:Hallo,
I made a thread, http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=380226, but I have a feeling that it might made in the wrong thread. Is that true? If yes, then what I can do?

What makes you think it's in the wrong forum? Either way, it's actually fine where it is. There's a possibility (absolutely no guarantee) that it might get more action in the NS forum instead of II but it's fine in II.
:: Absolutely Orwellian :: Positively Kafkaesque ::
:: Undeviatingly the Year of Our Lord Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Four ::
:: IIWiki :: The Local Cluster (FT) :: NSFT Community Discord :: IIWiki Community Discord
Up on the housetop Santhbots pause;
Peace torn apart by steely claws!
Does it bring gifts of fun and games?
Nay, 'tis the king of acid rains!
Where can we flee from Santhbot's path?
No place is sheltered from his wrath!
Cyborg horror of the skies,
Flee! Save your children! Santhbot rides!
Proprietor of IIwiki :: santh dot ns, gmail for any iiwiki inquiries (and only iiwiki inquiries)
NS RP Community Manager - my TGs are open for RP community management/moderation purposes

Islamic Republic of Aceh
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Islamic Republic of Aceh » Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:34 pm

Santheres wrote:
Islamic Republic of Aceh wrote:Hallo,
I made a thread, http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=380226, but I have a feeling that it might made in the wrong thread. Is that true? If yes, then what I can do?

What makes you think it's in the wrong forum? Either way, it's actually fine where it is. There's a possibility (absolutely no guarantee) that it might get more action in the NS forum instead of II but it's fine in II.

Oh, thanks. I have a feeling that it may located in the wrong forum because most of the same threads are located in the NS.
Last edited by Islamic Republic of Aceh on Thu Jun 16, 2016 3:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Proud member of the International Exchange Student Program!
IATA Member
Full Member of the International Space Agency
Member of the World Nuclear Power Organization, Join Today.
Full Member of the Council of Islamic Cooperation
Pro : Democracy, Pluralism
Anti : Religious extremism

Embassy Program of Aceh:
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic.php?f=23&t=353048
(In UFS, my nation's name is the State of Aceh)

Eonstar
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 15, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Eonstar » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:39 pm

What are the general guidelines for sizing your population? I'm sizing my population at a moderately large level (few hundred million) and would like to keep it that way (barring increases or decreases due to international incidents such as pandemics, military massacres, or successful wars), instead of starting out with a few million and constantly growing till it reaches billions. Would this be frowned upon in RPs?

Ghant
Minister

Founded: Feb 11, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ghant » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:45 pm

Eonstar wrote:What are the general guidelines for sizing your population? I'm sizing my population at a moderately large level (few hundred million) and would like to keep it that way (barring increases or decreases due to international incidents such as pandemics, military massacres, or successful wars), instead of starting out with a few million and constantly growing till it reaches billions. Would this be frowned upon in RPs?

Depends on what the people you plan on RPing with do. Some people use NS pops (which is the population listed on your on-site account, which is often very high), while others use RP pops (which is determined by the roleplayer for roleplaying purposes). There are many communities and RPers that utilize high-end populations that number in the billions (mostly in PMT regions), while others in more realistic RP groups (most notably MT) have populations similar to what you would find in RL. So my suggestion would be to base what your IC population is around what sorts of RPs you'd like to get involved in and who you'd like to RP with, because naturally, NS pop and RP pop nations have a hard time interacting ICly in a number of areas (especially as it concerns military RP). Hope that helps.
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Ghant
▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ஜ۩۞۩ஜ▬▬▬▬▬▬▬
Factbook | RP Resume | IIwiki Admin
Commended by Security Council Resolution #450
Recipient of the Greater Dienstad Roleplay Reward
"Look on my works, ye mighty, and despair!" - Percy Bysshe Shelley, Ozymandias
XX XXX
XX XXX

Eonstar
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Eonstar » Thu Jun 16, 2016 8:47 pm

Ghant wrote:
Eonstar wrote:What are the general guidelines for sizing your population? I'm sizing my population at a moderately large level (few hundred million) and would like to keep it that way (barring increases or decreases due to international incidents such as pandemics, military massacres, or successful wars), instead of starting out with a few million and constantly growing till it reaches billions. Would this be frowned upon in RPs?

Depends on what the people you plan on RPing with do. Some people use NS pops (which is the population listed on your on-site account, which is often very high), while others use RP pops (which is determined by the roleplayer for roleplaying purposes). There are many communities and RPers that utilize high-end populations that number in the billions (mostly in PMT regions), while others in more realistic RP groups (most notably MT) have populations similar to what you would find in RL. So my suggestion would be to base what your IC population is around what sorts of RPs you'd like to get involved in and who you'd like to RP with, because naturally, NS pop and RP pop nations have a hard time interacting ICly in a number of areas (especially as it concerns military RP). Hope that helps.

Thanks. Since I'm interested in more realistic MT roleplays, this works for me.

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:06 pm

Eonstar wrote:
Ghant wrote:

With a modern tech population, a "few hundred million" depends on the group. In groups I was in previously, people with populations within the USA-China Range were viewed with suspicion. If you want to just screw around on NS, having a few hundred million people is fine. But if you want to join a "realistic" mt group, I would try to keep it, if you must have high ends, between about 87 million (Germany) to 200 million (roughly Brazil).
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Eonstar
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Eonstar » Thu Jun 16, 2016 9:43 pm

Roski wrote:
Eonstar wrote:

With a modern tech population, a "few hundred million" depends on the group. In groups I was in previously, people with populations within the USA-China Range were viewed with suspicion. If you want to just screw around on NS, having a few hundred million people is fine. But if you want to join a "realistic" mt group, I would try to keep it, if you must have high ends, between about 87 million (Germany) to 200 million (roughly Brazil).

Heh, I had arbitrarily chosen 172 million, so that should work.

The Federation of Kendor
Senator

Founded: Dec 08, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Federation of Kendor » Fri Jun 17, 2016 12:28 am

How to make a good RP post?
My Dispatch
North Korean Russia wrote:"I am God! You are powerless against me! I am so awesome that when I play basketball I always get four points per shot!" -Kim Jong-Putin.

Independant Nations and Guilds wrote:Their founder turned into an eagle and flew into the sun before being burned to death. This is what their flag really means, and any other attempt at explanation of its meaning is ignored in favor of this explanation.

If you support liberal democratic capitalism, paste this into your sig: $LFD
RP links: TBA

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Fri Jun 17, 2016 11:47 am

Just to tack on something I'd said recently elsewhere, Eonstar:

Maltropia wrote:I find it easier to work with smaller countries if you want to create a more immersive world, but at the same time you don't want to go too low if you want to retain a certain amount of diplomatic/economic/military clout. I personally consider 70-200 million a decent range for mid-sized powers in NS, but it depends on your perspective and your roleplaying partners/region. The smallest I've gone is 1.4 million, but that's attached to an imperial overlord with a population of, again, about 200 million.

Of course, a lot of people'll never check to see what your RP population is so you could probably get away with whatever you like. I'd say 40-250 million is what you want to look at.

The Federation of Kendor wrote:How to make a good RP post?

Basically? Read books, and write what would keep your interest. Don't write something short, write a paragraph or several (or more, if it's appropriate). Check your spelling and grammar. Re-read it once or twice to make sure it makes sense, that it flows and that it's good.
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

IAPA
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 04, 2014
Father Knows Best State

Postby IAPA » Sat Jun 18, 2016 11:57 am

Sorry to post under my puppet, but a player brought this question came up while I was coding stuff. I figured it was best to get an answer here:

Mal, is there any rule of thumb when determining military size? I would imagine it's based, in part, on a percentage of the population and the resources available?

Thanks, - Swith

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:08 pm

IAPA wrote:Sorry to post under my puppet, but a player brought this question came up while I was coding stuff. I figured it was best to get an answer here:

Mal, is there any rule of thumb when determining military size? I would imagine it's based, in part, on a percentage of the population and the resources available?

Thanks, - Swith

There are many, many variables, few of which I'm qualified to list, but the most often-quoted figures are 0.5-5% of your total population, where 5% would be the in time of utmost need figure. It depends on economics, national and [regional] international politics, etc., and there are several stances on the thing. I'll search this thread for the last major post made on the matter.

EDIT: See this post and Lubyak's addendum; and also this post.
Last edited by Maltropia on Sat Jun 18, 2016 12:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Gemperia
Political Columnist

Founded: Jun 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

A Question Regarding Annexation

Postby Gemperia » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:25 pm

How can you use role plays to declare war? Shouldn't there be a modification that allows a button on a nation's main page that other nations can click to start war RP's with the nation?

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Postby Rhodevus » Sat Jun 18, 2016 7:28 pm

Gemperia wrote:How can you use role plays to declare war? Shouldn't there be a modification that allows a button on a nation's main page that other nations can click to start war RP's with the nation?

NationStates is about each individual person being able to create their utopia (or dystopia or whatever they want) of a nation, without war between nations changing it. So, no. There is no built in system of war. Everything that is done on the forums, such as war RPs have to be discussed and agreed upon by the two (or more) players in the war. So, you cannot just go to a nation's page and declare war, but telegram them first and ask if you two can have a war RP. Hope this helps! :)
She/Her

Factbook

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents