NATION

PASSWORD

RPing Questions? Ask Here!

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Thu Jan 15, 2015 5:53 pm

Deian salazar wrote:I wonder.... It shows when Jenrak's online, but not the other Mods.
Da hell? :blink:

Mods can set whether to show if they're online or not. Jen's one of the few (possibly only?) who choose to show it. I'd personally prefer if they all did, but if they want to avoid being harassed by needy Mentors that's their decision.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

West Aurelia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby West Aurelia » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:03 am

I need a name for a Catholic criminal hate group, similar to the KKK. I currently want to call it the Sacred Cross (SC), although I'm unsure if this is offensive. The name must also be something that a Catholic group would realistically choose. Any suggestions?
_REPUBLIC OF WEST AURELIA_
Official factbook
#Valaransofab

Pharthan
Minister

Founded: Feb 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pharthan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:34 am

West Aurelia wrote:I need a name for a Catholic criminal hate group, similar to the KKK. I currently want to call it the Sacred Cross (SC), although I'm unsure if this is offensive. The name must also be something that a Catholic group would realistically choose. Any suggestions?

It's going to offend Catholics no matter what you choose, just as athiests might get offended if you had a group aimed at attacking all religions.

Are they more militant or just hateful and commuting KKK like acts? In my experience the more zealous fundamentalists with little actual biblical knowledge either manage to find one little biblical reference with or without context, like, I dunno, "Pillar of Fire" or " Sword and Shield" or whatnot, whereas a more levelheaded, practicing religious group - though they obviously wouldn't commit these acts if they actually practiced Christianity - would pick something more like Sacred Cross or something more docile.
If they are highly political they might have a wise enough leader to pick something more "Family friendly" though.
HALCYON ARMS STOREFRONT

"Humanity is a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"Besides, if God didn't want us making glowing fish and insect-resistant corn, the building blocks of life wouldn't be so easy for science to fiddle with." - Dracoria

Why haven't I had anything new in my storefront for so long? This is why. I've been busy.

West Aurelia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby West Aurelia » Fri Jan 16, 2015 2:51 am

Pharthan wrote:
West Aurelia wrote:I need a name for a Catholic criminal hate group, similar to the KKK. I currently want to call it the Sacred Cross (SC), although I'm unsure if this is offensive. The name must also be something that a Catholic group would realistically choose. Any suggestions?

It's going to offend Catholics no matter what you choose, just as athiests might get offended if you had a group aimed at attacking all religions.

Are they more militant or just hateful and commuting KKK like acts? In my experience the more zealous fundamentalists with little actual biblical knowledge either manage to find one little biblical reference with or without context, like, I dunno, "Pillar of Fire" or " Sword and Shield" or whatnot, whereas a more levelheaded, practicing religious group - though they obviously wouldn't commit these acts if they actually practiced Christianity - would pick something more like Sacred Cross or something more docile.
If they are highly political they might have a wise enough leader to pick something more "Family friendly" though.

They have been designated as a criminal group by the Department of Justice and are far more militant than the KKK (although they wouldn't be considered a terrorist group). And no, they aren't highly political.

If it's too offensive, or a suitable name can't be found, I'm completely fine with having a nameless group.
Official factbook
#Valaransofab

Pharthan
Minister

Founded: Feb 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pharthan » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:09 am

West Aurelia wrote:
Pharthan wrote:It's going to offend Catholics no matter what you choose, just as athiests might get offended if you had a group aimed at attacking all religions.

They have been designated as a criminal group by the Department of Justice and are far more militant than the KKK (although they wouldn't be considered a terrorist group). And no, they aren't highly political.

If it's too offensive, or a suitable name can't be found, I'm completely fine with having a nameless group.

The name Sacred Cross wouldn't be too offensive. I myself am Protestant, not catholic, so I can't be one hundred percent sure, but you'd probably have to search a bit more to find something offensive. Anything with the name Christ or Jesus in it, or possibly "Holy" could be over the line, but most wouldn't care.
HALCYON ARMS STOREFRONT

"Humanity is a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"Besides, if God didn't want us making glowing fish and insect-resistant corn, the building blocks of life wouldn't be so easy for science to fiddle with." - Dracoria

Why haven't I had anything new in my storefront for so long? This is why. I've been busy.

West Aurelia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby West Aurelia » Fri Jan 16, 2015 3:16 am

Pharthan wrote:
West Aurelia wrote:

The name Sacred Cross wouldn't be too offensive. I myself am Protestant, not catholic, so I can't be one hundred percent sure, but you'd probably have to search a bit more to find something offensive. Anything with the name Christ or Jesus in it, or possibly "Holy" could be over the line, but most wouldn't care.

A quick Google search revealed that the name has already been taken by an Anglican order, so that rules it out. I may end up choosing a name that doesn't reference Catholicism at all.

Anyway, thanks for your response.
Official factbook
#Valaransofab

Zhongguoaodaliya
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Zhongguoaodaliya » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:18 pm

Hello again,

I've been wondering recently about how to get involved in someone else's RP. I know the basic rules and conventions, but are just wondering whether it is a good idea to give minor support to a small, new nation that's probably another civil war or terrorist attack scenario?

Any advice for that?
"We shall uphold the Mandate of Heaven"
Currently involved in: Disputed Guayang Islands
Security Status: High
IATA Member

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Sun Jan 18, 2015 11:21 pm

Pharthan wrote:

Atheists would be "offended if you had a group aimed at attacking all religions"?

I'm an atheist and I would not be offended at all, as long as each one is persecuted equally.
Greater Ardokian Empire | It is Ardoki's destiny to rule the whole world!
Unitary Parliamentary Constitutional Republic

Head of State: Grand Emperor Alistair Killian Moriarty
Head of Government: Grand Imperial Chancellor Kennedy Rowan Coleman
Legislature: Imperial Senate
Ruling Party: Imperial Progressive Party
Technology Level: MT (Primary) | PMT, FanT (Secondary)
Politics: Social Democrat
Religion: None
Personality Type: ENTP 3w4

Stahn
Senator

Founded: May 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Stahn » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:59 am

I am agnostic. I don't believe in persecution but I am also not completely sure that it doesn't exist either.

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 07, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kylarnatia » Mon Jan 19, 2015 6:51 am

Zhongguoaodaliya wrote:Hello again,

I've been wondering recently about how to get involved in someone else's RP. I know the basic rules and conventions, but are just wondering whether it is a good idea to give minor support to a small, new nation that's probably another civil war or terrorist attack scenario?

Any advice for that?

Talk with the player in question about their roleplay, see if they're open to your participation, and see if you can figure out with them what the best way for your nation to get involved is. At the end of the day, the only one who's going to know enough about their nation in order to determine whether it's worth getting involved is them, so they're the ones you should be asking.
The Ancient Empire of Kylarnatia // Imperium Antiquum Kylarnatiae
Lord of Gholgoth | Factbook (Work in Progress) | Embassy & Consulate Programme
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!
NationState's friendly neighbourhood Egyptologist
Come one, come all to my Trading Card Bazaar!
"Kylarnatia is a rare Nile platypus." - Kyrusia

Astholm
Senator

Founded: Jan 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Astholm » Mon Jan 19, 2015 1:43 pm

I have a RP here which centres around a hostage situation, however, what makes it different is it covers two countries, the building it is in straddles the border.

How could I make this workable? Is the premise interesting enough?

I've left things like the bordering nation etc. to be decided, since I'm building a canon as it is, but what do you think?
[spoiler=About Me]Based on the United Kingdom, but enlarged version with alternate history.
On IIWiki
I have multiple puppets here; only a select few are used to represent the continent of Astholm; others used represent Westholme, and do not artificially boost my nation's statistics.Previously i used puppets with nation names that did not identify as Astholm (e.g. Australis Australia; now all new puppets use ASTHLM, NORTHLM, SOUTHLM, WESTHLM (HLM denoting The Holmes.
NOTE: Other uses of Astholm here have a different continuity and refer to work created by the user Astholm, not the nation

Potsburg
Lobbyist

Founded: Jan 19, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Potsburg » Mon Jan 19, 2015 2:40 pm

I have a couple of ideas. The key to making it non-offensive is to A) don't make the character two dimensional and B) Make it clear they are not representatives of mainstream or even traditionalist Catholics. Anyway, what you should name your group depends on the nature of said group. Are they a lobbying group? a armed militant group etc. Now, the KKK is a secret society that regularly uses violence (although more historically then recently) So the Catholic version of the KKK (the KKK is staunchly anti-catholic) would I think choose a name that flouts their Catholicity. Something that refers to devotion to Mary and Saints. Using the term knights is also good, as that alludes to the KKK. Religious orders are still common in Catholicism, so it would make sense to mimic the names of those groups.

Something like the Most Sacred Knights of Our Lady of the Sword. You may want to have a reference to nationalism, if they are nationalist, or whatever their values are. You could call them the True Knights etc. if they are primarily concerned with opposition to other more moderate Catholics.
Please use the pronouns "Your Grace" and "His Grace" when referring to me OOC. I am not a duke, but I feel like one. Thank you.

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rhodevus » Mon Jan 19, 2015 5:27 pm

Astholm wrote:I have a RP here which centres around a hostage situation, however, what makes it different is it covers two countries, the building it is in straddles the border.

I've left things like the bordering nation etc. to be decided, since I'm building a canon as it is, but what do you think?

Reading over your OP, I may be able to pick out a few reasons why people are not flocking to your banner (so to speak). The idea that the building straddles two different countries is unique, but that is it. Why does it matter that it lies on a border? Will it affect how people inside react to hostage situations?

The main premise that you have is that there are hostages in a building. That is it. There needs to be a catch, or something that can liven it up. Lengthen the OP a bit to include reactions of people. Explain what you want to do/accomplish in the thread.

From personal experience with terrorist RPs and hostage crisis', try to add a twist to it. Mine was that instead of playing as the hostages, people played as their body guards trying to save them.

Hostage situation RPs tend to be difficult to gain interest for (from my experience), but once they do, they generally do very well. So again to recap, lengthen the OP, explain what you want to do in the RP (general overview) and finally try to add a twist to the normal scenario.
She/Her
IATA Member Embassy Character Creation 101
Do not argue against me, you will lose...or win, depending on the situation
The Official Madman with a Box
Rodrania wrote:Rhod, I f*cking love you, man. <3
Divergia wrote:The Canadian Polar-Potato-Moose-Cat has spoken!
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook
International Exchange Student Program Member
XENOS MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

Jenrak
Retired Moderator

Founded: Oct 06, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Jenrak » Mon Jan 19, 2015 8:02 pm

Astholm wrote:I have a RP here which centres around a hostage situation, however, what makes it different is it covers two countries, the building it is in straddles the border.

Have you tried asking a few friends? Sometimes signups are momentum-based.

Zhongguoaodaliya
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 27, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Zhongguoaodaliya » Tue Jan 20, 2015 2:03 am

Kylarnatia wrote:
Zhongguoaodaliya wrote:Hello again,

Any advice for that?

Talk with the player in question about their roleplay, see if they're open to your participation, and see if you can figure out with them what the best way for your nation to get involved is. At the end of the day, the only one who's going to know enough about their nation in order to determine whether it's worth getting involved is them, so they're the ones you should be asking.

Ahhhh, ok. Thank you!
"We shall uphold the Mandate of Heaven"
Currently involved in: Disputed Guayang Islands
Security Status: High
IATA Member

Vancon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:17 am

Zhongguoaodaliya wrote:
Kylarnatia wrote:

Ahhhh, ok. Thank you!

If you wanna learn to RP with the best of them, come here. We can help you, and you'll hopefully also learn from osmosis from some of the noteworthy people (mentioned in the OP)
Last edited by Vancon on Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:18 am, edited 1 time in total.
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Well what the fuck do you use for lube?

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Rupudska wrote:I avoid NSG like one would avoid ISIS-occupied Syria.
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Which just so happens to be within the next half-hour

Shyluz wrote:Van, Sci-fi Generallisimo

U18 2nd Cutest NS'er 2015
Best Role Play - Science Fiction 2015: Athena Program

Draica
Senator

Founded: Feb 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Draica » Wed Jan 21, 2015 12:25 pm

Am I a good rper? Here is one of my posts

Anything to work on?
Draica is a Federal Republic nation ran by conservatives and Libertarians! If you ever wanna rp a state visit, a war, a debate with one of my leaders or a conservative/libertarian philosopher, or just wanna tg me in general(I like TGs) drop me a TG!
Allies: Pantorrum, Korgenstin, Zebraltar, Kiribati-Tarawa, Democratic Sabha. Idoa, Allaena, Lledia.
Enemies: Arkania 5, any communist nation, Drakorvanyia.
Wars:

The Draican-Arkanian war: On-going

The Waldensian-Draican-Kiribati Cold War: Won. Dissolution of Communist Government in Waldensia

The Draican-Die erworbenen Namen war: Draica successfully defended, retaliation called off.

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Insaeldor » Thu Jan 22, 2015 5:03 am

Draica wrote:Am I a good rper? Here is one of my posts

Anything to work on?

Substance, you need more substance. You've got detail and the like but it to little and what you do have is good. Add more things like sensor details (possibly one of if not most importent parts or writing narativly) and add in things like internal monologues and more detail conversations between your characters.

A lot of the post you have could be 3 even 4 times as long given these little additives. These are just my suggestions however and as a person who typically RP's in the first person you can modify it to fit what you need for your typical style.
Time is a prismatic uniform polyhedron

The Macabees
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Thu Jan 22, 2015 8:14 am

Adding to Insaeldor, you can provide a background to your character. By describing that person's history, their motivations, and similar details you can make us feel sympathetic towards the character, or you can make us dislike the character. If done well, readers can become emotionally invested in your story.
Former Sr. II Roleplaying Mentor | Factbook

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

Sunset
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Fri Jan 23, 2015 8:09 am

I also recently wanted to create an RP about art, a new element of Toopoxican society becomes a worldwide smash or the like, but I found it lacked purpose or direction, is it essential to have these things when creating an RP?

No, not necessarily. It depends on if you want to RP with other people or not, and I'm not saying that's necessarily a bad thing. Sometimes you can write for the sake of writing, to build background, to flesh out ideas in a neutral environment. Sometimes you'll want to write and just see where things go without having someone else nudge things or even steer them in one direction or another.

I try to write one post, every day, even when I'm in the depths of the WoWCrack just to keep things flowing and ideas percolating. Writing up something about a new artist, or a pseudo-news documentary about such, or similar is just that kind of 'brewing' that I like to do. And you never know when you'll have something like that bleed over into a full-scale role-play. It can also be the start of a good factbook. So, write, see where it takes you, and at worse it becomes part of your nation's background color.
My Colors are Blue and Yellow

Greater Mackonia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Mackonia » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:05 am

What is the forum policy on what should and should not be tagged mature at risk of bannings?
The Agonocracy of Greater Mackonia
"Show me someone without an ego, and I'll show you a loser."
-Donald J. Trump.

Oppressorion
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 27, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Oppressorion » Sat Jan 24, 2015 5:12 am

Vogega wrote:What do all the buttons mean when you're posting? They are on top of where ypu type.

They're BBCodes, which offer text formatting - bold, italic, urls, colours, and so on. Simply highlight the text you want to affect, and click the right button.
Imagine somthing like the Combine and Judge Dredd, with mind control.
My IC nation title is Oprusa, and I am human but not connected to Earth.
Do not dabble in the affairs of dragons, for thou art crunchy and good with ketchup.
Agnostic, humanist vegetarian. Also against abortion - you get all sorts here, don't you?
DEAT: Delete with Extreme, All-Encompassing Terror!

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Sat Jan 24, 2015 6:19 am

Greater Mackonia wrote:What is the forum policy on what should and should not be tagged mature at risk of bannings?

Tagging material as "mature" doesn't protect you against banning. If it's "mature" enough to deserve that label then it's probably forbidden outright, whether with or without the label.

viewtopic.php?p=16394954&sid=13528c2720e92061304683b0f9e8e397#p16394954

viewtopic.php?p=23247631#p23247631
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Insaeldor
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 26, 2014
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Insaeldor » Sat Jan 24, 2015 9:01 am

Oppressorion wrote:
Vogega wrote:What do all the buttons mean when you're posting? They are on top of where ypu type.

They're BBCodes, which offer text formatting - bold, italic, urls, colours, and so on. Simply highlight the text you want to affect, and click the right button.

This thread should also help out a lot
Time is a prismatic uniform polyhedron

Greater Mackonia
Negotiator

Founded: Sep 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater Mackonia » Sat Jan 24, 2015 10:46 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Greater Mackonia wrote:What is the forum policy on what should and should not be tagged mature at risk of bannings?

Tagging material as "mature" doesn't protect you against banning. If it's "mature" enough to deserve that label then it's probably forbidden outright, whether with or without the label.

viewtopic.php?p=16394954&sid=13528c2720e92061304683b0f9e8e397#p16394954

viewtopic.php?p=23247631#p23247631

I apologise, I have just occasionally seen a "Mature" label added to certain threads and thought it had some official grounding. No, it seems what I was inquiring about will be within limits.
The Agonocracy of Greater Mackonia
"Show me someone without an ego, and I'll show you a loser."
-Donald J. Trump.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents