NATION

PASSWORD

RPing Questions? Ask Here!

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Scarlet Drone
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Win?

Postby Scarlet Drone » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:14 am

Sorry that I'm a huge noob when it come to posting forms and RPing, especially in Nation States. Although I have looked through some RP fourms, I don't really understand how to win a battle in war. Is there some kind of dice involved (If rolls 6 then wins flawlessly, if roll 4 some damage, if roll 1 you lose in battle)? I do know that it involves some facts, for example:
---
= or > 5% of population for military population

GDP of defense (Shows on government tab for your country) (I believe defense is military, please correct me if I'm wrong)

and you must know the geography of your country
---

That's all the knowledge of RPing on Nation States wars that I know of, please help me, and sorry for taking your time.

Aquitayne
Senator

Founded: Jun 24, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Aquitayne » Thu Nov 19, 2015 6:50 am

Scarlet Drone wrote:Sorry that I'm a huge noob when it come to posting forms and RPing, especially in Nation States. Although I have looked through some RP fourms, I don't really understand how to win a battle in war. Is there some kind of dice involved (If rolls 6 then wins flawlessly, if roll 4 some damage, if roll 1 you lose in battle)? I do know that it involves some facts, for example:
---

GDP of defense (Shows on government tab for your country) (I believe defense is military, please correct me if I'm wrong)

---

That's all the knowledge of RPing on Nation States wars that I know of, please help me, and sorry for taking your time.

Those stats are general uses for newer players like yourself to help get you off the ground. Ultimately, your military and defense budget can be whatever you'd like it to be, but understand that larger military forces with a larger defense budget usually means cuts in other areas (such as education, environment, etc).

There are no dice rolls when deciding the outcome of a battle. Ultimately, there are two ways to RP a battle, war, or conflict:

1) Competitive RP
2) Cooperative RP

Competitive RP means just that: you're competing against the other player in an attempt to beat them in a war, battle, or conflict. This means that there is no set outcome of the event being RP'd, and it is up to you as the RPer to use your military knowledge of weapons, tactics and doctrine to come out victorious.

Cooperative RP is the opposite. The RPers in question agree on a set outcome OOCly and work to achieve that end. This usually involves one nation losing the war, and the RP itself reflecting that.

It's a lot easier to "win" battles when you're RPing with someone cooperatively, as competitive RP usually ends up in OOC fighting and frustration. There is no definitive way to win a battle or war in NationStates. Unlike Cybernations, D&D or any other tabletop RPG, NationStates is a roleplaying forum where literally everything you do is your call. There are no game mechanics. The only way to "win", is to out maneuver your opponent and beat their forces through RP. If you look around II, there are some threads that will help you get a better idea about military tactics and other stuff.
[ Embassy Program | A Collection of Essays | Parliamentary Hansard | Axalon Private Military Company | My iiwiki Page ]
[ W&A: Global Intelligence | Aquitaynian Foreign Legion | Affairs of the Region | Freyport Armory ]

I'm a former N&I RP Mentor, not very active these days but feel free to reach out if I can help with anything!

"When you have power, use it to build people, not constrict them."-Bertrand Russell
"I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends."-Abraham Lincoln

Duderology - The Study of Duder.
16:08 GHawkins I continue to be amazed by Aq's ability to fuck up his own name.

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:08 am

Aquitayne wrote:Unlike Cybernations, D&D or any other tabletop RPG, NationStates is a roleplaying forum where literally everything you do is your call. There are no game mechanics.

Except in the NS Sports sub-forum, where 'scorinator' computer programmes that can take account of nations' past performances (and whose operators can give participants a bonus for good RP) are normally used to determine the results of competitions...
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Thu Nov 19, 2015 10:36 am

Bears Armed wrote:
Aquitayne wrote:Unlike Cybernations, D&D or any other tabletop RPG, NationStates is a roleplaying forum where literally everything you do is your call. There are no game mechanics.

Except in the NS Sports sub-forum, where 'scorinator' computer programmes that can take account of nations' past performances (and whose operators can give participants a bonus for good RP) are normally used to determine the results of competitions...

Yeah but the Sports forum is weirrrddddd. :?

Aquitayne
Senator

Founded: Jun 24, 2011

Postby Aquitayne » Thu Nov 19, 2015 7:46 pm

Bears Armed wrote:

That still doesn't fall under game mechanics. Scorinators aren't built into the foundation of NS, they're just tools used to make sports fair game. But yes, when it comes to sports, there are programs that are commonly used that dictate the outcome rather than competitive roleplay. And Lubyak is very right, scorinators are insane. And I don't like Margaret. >:(
[ Embassy Program | A Collection of Essays | Parliamentary Hansard | Axalon Private Military Company | My iiwiki Page ]
[ W&A: Global Intelligence | Aquitaynian Foreign Legion | Affairs of the Region | Freyport Armory ]

I'm a former N&I RP Mentor, not very active these days but feel free to reach out if I can help with anything!

"When you have power, use it to build people, not constrict them."-Bertrand Russell
"I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends."-Abraham Lincoln

Duderology - The Study of Duder.
16:08 GHawkins I continue to be amazed by Aq's ability to fuck up his own name.

Scarlet Drone
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Scarlet Drone » Thu Nov 19, 2015 8:49 pm

Aquitayne wrote:
Scarlet Drone wrote:Sorry that I'm a huge noob when it come to posting forms and RPing, especially in Nation States. Although I have looked through some RP fourms, I don't really understand how to win a battle in war. Is there some kind of dice involved (If rolls 6 then wins flawlessly, if roll 4 some damage, if roll 1 you lose in battle)? I do know that it involves some facts, for example:
---

---

Those stats are general uses for newer players like yourself to help get you off the ground. Ultimately, your military and defense budget can be whatever you'd like it to be, but understand that larger military forces with a larger defense budget usually means cuts in other areas (such as education, environment, etc).

There are no dice rolls when deciding the outcome of a battle. Ultimately, there are two ways to RP a battle, war, or conflict:

1) Competitive RP
2) Cooperative RP

Competitive RP means just that: you're competing against the other player in an attempt to beat them in a war, battle, or conflict. This means that there is no set outcome of the event being RP'd, and it is up to you as the RPer to use your military knowledge of weapons, tactics and doctrine to come out victorious.

Cooperative RP is the opposite. The RPers in question agree on a set outcome OOCly and work to achieve that end. This usually involves one nation losing the war, and the RP itself reflecting that.

It's a lot easier to "win" battles when you're RPing with someone cooperatively, as competitive RP usually ends up in OOC fighting and frustration. There is no definitive way to win a battle or war in NationStates. Unlike Cybernations, D&D or any other tabletop RPG, NationStates is a roleplaying forum where literally everything you do is your call. There are no game mechanics. The only way to "win", is to out maneuver your opponent and beat their forces through RP. If you look around II, there are some threads that will help you get a better idea about military tactics and other stuff.

Thanks for you clarification, it's greatly appreciated :)
Again, sorry for taking you time, and hope to see you some time in some of the RPs

Nova Socrum
Envoy

Founded: Oct 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Nova Socrum » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:22 pm

Yo what does tag mean?

The Macabees
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:27 pm

Nova Socrum wrote:Yo what does tag mean?

It's a way of bookmarking a thread, so you can see it under "view your posts." But, there's a better and less intrusive way of doing the same thing. At the bottom of the page, towards the left, there's a link that says Bookmark Thread. You can go to your bookmarks in the "user control panel" (maybe someone should make them easier to access, so that the function is used more).
Former Sr. II Roleplaying Mentor | Factbook

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

The Templar High Council
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 27, 2013

Postby The Templar High Council » Sun Nov 22, 2015 7:46 pm

The Macabees wrote:

It's a way of bookmarking a thread, so you can see it under "view your posts." But, there's a better and less intrusive way of doing the same thing. At the bottom of the page, towards the left, there's a link that says Bookmark Thread. You can go to your bookmarks in the "user control panel" (maybe someone should make them easier to access, so that the function is used more).

For real though. :D
They call me Temp. If I take too long to respond, just TG me. Or TG me whenever, I'm online 90% of the time.
Anime God of P2TM, Last of Lithianity, Bro to All, & P2TM's Villain in Glasses. Kacheen!
2014 P2TM Lifetime Achievement Award Winner. During my first year on NS. Go figure.
And 2015 Most Involved in P2TM? On a roll now!
----->Founder of The Council of the Multiverse community.<-----

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Tue Nov 24, 2015 10:47 am

The Macabees wrote:

And the Mods have said that we should bookmark rather than using 'tag': Get caught using 'tag' to often and you might get an official warning... [/not-a-Mod]
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

Blorbs
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Looking for an RPing partner

Postby Blorbs » Wed Nov 25, 2015 12:06 am

Im looking for an RP partner, specifically a similar sized country that is a bit right leaning, or at least with some reasons to have tensions with Blorbs. The confict would be over an island of which millitary soldiers of one nation occupy it (However to them its not really occupying it, but more of moving it into their own territory as its disputed) and do various drills, tests, etc., and also possibly setting up millitary defenses on the island and giving it a large millitary presense. The exact details and a more fleshed out story would be discussed with whomever wishes to partake (And when im not extremely tired :lol2:).

So yeah, any takers?
"The universe is probably littered with the one-planet graves of cultures which made the sensible economic decision that there's no good reason to go into space - each discovered, studied, and remembered by the ones who made the irrational decision."
- Randall Munroe

Irav
Ambassador

Founded: Apr 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

RPing Questions? Ask Here!

Postby Irav » Wed Nov 25, 2015 7:05 am

Blorbs wrote:Im looking for an RP partner, specifically a similar sized country that is a bit right leaning, or at least with some reasons to have tensions with Blorbs. The confict would be over an island of which millitary soldiers of one nation occupy it (However to them its not really occupying it, but more of moving it into their own territory as its disputed) and do various drills, tests, etc., and also possibly setting up millitary defenses on the island and giving it a large millitary presense. The exact details and a more fleshed out story would be discussed with whomever wishes to partake (And when im not extremely tired :lol2:).

So yeah, any takers?

I'd be interested in doing this. Going by RP statistics (Which I found in your factbook) my nation is ~70 million people larger so I guess that is almost the same size. We aren't exactly a right leaning country, we are actually pretty much a left leaning nation when it comes to most things. But Irav is heavily imperialistic and controls a small colonial empire.

Just send me TG if I'm the right candidate :)
████████████████████████████████████████████████████████

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:43 am

It's perfectly legitimate to decide the outcome of battles based on dice-rolls. In fact I think this is better than both co-operative and competitive roleplaying, because it takes the decision over who wins out of the hands of the players so they can focus on just writing cool stories. It doesn't happen very often on NS though. Online co-operative dice roll machines do exist. We used them in an RP on SMS once.
Last edited by Questers on Fri Nov 27, 2015 1:44 am, edited 1 time in total.
Restore the Crown

Dachine
Secretary

Founded: Jun 23, 2014
Libertarian Police State

Postby Dachine » Sat Nov 28, 2015 3:25 pm

Questers wrote:It's perfectly legitimate to decide the outcome of battles based on dice-rolls. In fact I think this is better than both co-operative and competitive roleplaying, because it takes the decision over who wins out of the hands of the players so they can focus on just writing cool stories. It doesn't happen very often on NS though. Online co-operative dice roll machines do exist. We used them in an RP on SMS once.

Link to download the dice roll engines, please? Would be much appreciated.

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Sat Nov 28, 2015 5:28 pm

---

---

In order, Yes, dice rolling is great, and kinda useful if you don't understand each other's strength. Another way though, is worldbuilding. If you join an RPing community, set yourself up in a particular order, and then those can help decide the outcome. The problem with worldbuilding is people who like to make themselves invincible from all means. This does involve geopolitical relations, as well as general geography, and the military. Disparities in technology, general military leadership, size, etc etc can help determine the outcome. For example, an American Division and Two Soviet Divisions (because the US is generally 20,000 while the Soviets generally used 12,000 per division), the United States will claim the day in victory. But 1 US Division versus say 16 Soviet divisions, and the US will probably run the hell away. This is dramatically simplified, but still. Other factors would be like what type of units are there, like an engineering batallion will not be able to fight off a tank batallion unless you use some battlefield logic.

Your nation generally should restrict itself to a professional military of .5 - .9 % of your population during peace (the US is about .9%, but at war, for various reasons). However, if you're underequipped (say, Chinese military), or at a enemy at the gates situation (Imagine being mexico, except the United States wants to invade it), then you probably could get away with a 3% peacetime military. Going over that signifies you're about to go to war, are at war, or are horrendously terrified of your neighbor. This all implies a modern technology scenario, though.

Your GDP in defence is really not worth mentioning, its really worth mentioning what your actual GDP and spending are. Sure, you'll get those who will call bullshit if its too high, but overall, you will need to actually know your budget. You can say "my defence budget is 9% of my gdp" all you want, your GDP could be like 10 dollars. This is a lot more useful in communities and groups than anything else really. Anything goes when you're up against the general masses.

Example: The United States of America, mostly undisputedly, is the most powerful military force in the world. Its GDP is a whopping 18.164 trillion, and its defence budget is 566 billion. The GDP of Saudi Arabia is 746.25 Billion, and has a budget of 80.8 billion. The former's GDP spent is a measly 3%, while the latter is 10.7%. See what I mean?

Geography isn't necessarily as much in RPing (sadly), as it would seem.
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

North Iaburg
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Question

Postby North Iaburg » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:29 pm

I have a question. I want some nation to rule my colony and no one will! :( i want someone to rule me! :O

The Templar High Council
Post Marshal

Postby The Templar High Council » Mon Nov 30, 2015 4:53 pm

North Iaburg wrote:I have a question. I want some nation to rule my colony and no one will! :( i want someone to rule me! :O

In-character?

Have you tried asking for someone to RP being your imperialist overlord?
They call me Temp. If I take too long to respond, just TG me. Or TG me whenever, I'm online 90% of the time.
Anime God of P2TM, Last of Lithianity, Bro to All, & P2TM's Villain in Glasses. Kacheen!
2014 P2TM Lifetime Achievement Award Winner. During my first year on NS. Go figure.

Armedegon
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 23, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Armedegon » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:42 pm

Are other kinds of incidents (say, a nuclear power plant disaster) allowed in this subforum?

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Wed Dec 02, 2015 5:46 pm

Armedegon wrote:Are other kinds of incidents (say, a nuclear power plant disaster) allowed in this subforum?

Of course. The forum is about any incident that can be taken internationally, a nuclear power plant disaster is a perfect candidate. The truth is that over time you tend to concentrate your RPs either here or on the NationStates forum, regardless of what the RPs are about, so you can really RP about anything here.

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

Ixicalis
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Ixicalis » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:03 pm

I'm a little confused by the difference between the RP and the game. I'm a decently-experienced roleplayer, been doing it for a couple of years. But my question is: how much of the "game" impacts the roleplay?

Say my income tax is x number but I don't want income tax whatsoever. Is it godmodding to ignore the stats on the game, or modify them to fit better? All to a reasonable degree, not giving you enough money to buy 100000000 battleships obviously. But rather to fine tune and better play out the nation you want to play. Not the randomly generated one given to you at game start.

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:12 pm

Ixicalis wrote:I'm a little confused by the difference between the RP and the game. I'm a decently-experienced roleplayer, been doing it for a couple of years. But my question is: how much of the "game" impacts the roleplay?

Say my income tax is x number but I don't want income tax whatsoever. Is it godmodding to ignore the stats on the game, or modify them to fit better? All to a reasonable degree, not giving you enough money to buy 100000000 battleships obviously. But rather to fine tune and better play out the nation you want to play. Not the randomly generated one given to you at game start.

They're really there as a guide. There are people who believe that the game's stats aren't accurate of their "real" stats. There are people who follow the game stats pretty closely. It's up to you, really.

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Thu Dec 03, 2015 10:57 pm

Ixicalis wrote:I'm a little confused by the difference between the RP and the game. I'm a decently-experienced roleplayer, been doing it for a couple of years. But my question is: how much of the "game" impacts the roleplay?

Most definitely.

Your nation page can have as much or as little influence as you want it to have. Often times specific RP groups or regions will have specific rules and regulations about this, but in general you can do as you please. Feel free to describe your nation in your factbook or wiki page the way you want it to be, and don't be overly concerned with the game's description.

Sabara
Senator

Founded: Jan 14, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Sabara » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:09 am

Is there anyway to recover a lost post (writing) if you forgot to save the draft and deleted your window browser?
A unique MT rp: Tiandi

The Templar High Council
Post Marshal

Postby The Templar High Council » Thu Dec 24, 2015 11:44 am

Sabara wrote:Is there anyway to recover a lost post (writing) if you forgot to save the draft and deleted your window browser?

Normally I'd go to recent tabs and see if I can recover it.

Otherwise, no idea.

Sabara
Senator

Founded: Jan 14, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Sabara » Thu Dec 24, 2015 12:01 pm

The Templar High Council wrote:
Sabara wrote:Is there anyway to recover a lost post (writing) if you forgot to save the draft and deleted your window browser?

Normally I'd go to recent tabs and see if I can recover it.

Otherwise, no idea.

I got it, thanks. Always frustrating to lose a post you've spent ~45 minutes on, haha.
A unique MT rp: Tiandi

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents