NATION

PASSWORD

RPing Questions? Ask Here!

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Reutlingen
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Reutlingen » Fri May 15, 2015 2:23 pm

How would one go about setting up an intelligence agency? I get the idea of reporting things that are possibly going to happen in the future, but it really feels like metagaming.

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Lamoni » Fri May 15, 2015 2:40 pm

New Reutlingen wrote:How would one go about setting up an intelligence agency? I get the idea of reporting things that are possibly going to happen in the future, but it really feels like metagaming.

This is an area where you will be doing a lot of OOC discussion and negotiation with the affected other player (s) about what you can or cannot have your Intel agency know/say. That will prevent most calls of metagaming.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

New Reutlingen
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Reutlingen » Fri May 15, 2015 6:02 pm

Lamoni wrote:
New Reutlingen wrote:How would one go about setting up an intelligence agency? I get the idea of reporting things that are possibly going to happen in the future, but it really feels like metagaming.

This is an area where you will be doing a lot of OOC discussion and negotiation with the affected other player (s) about what you can or cannot have your Intel agency know/say. That will prevent most calls of metagaming.

Alright, thanks Lamoni!

One more stupid question. I'm not sure if I should be posting this here, or in the factbook questions section. I think it could be applied to both threads.

How would I go about setting up an embassy, and what are they for other than encouraging discussion between players on the forums?

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Fri May 15, 2015 6:23 pm

How would I RP me dealing with a nation breaking conditions that I set out for them in their last RP? Basically:

I threatened to invade them, then retconned that to terms they had to follow. The terms had to do with executions. They then violated those terms. How should I go about this? :twisted:
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Vancon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Fri May 15, 2015 6:24 pm

Kaboomlandia wrote:How would I RP me dealing with a nation breaking conditions that I set out for them in their last RP? Basically:

I threatened to invade them, then retconned that to terms they had to follow. The terms had to do with executions. They then violated those terms. How should I go about this? :twisted:

If both RPs are in the same timeline and universe, then mention it to their soldiers/officers/boss and let the shitstorm snowball begin.
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Well what the fuck do you use for lube?

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Rupudska wrote:I avoid NSG like one would avoid ISIS-occupied Syria.
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Which just so happens to be within the next half-hour

Shyluz wrote:Van, Sci-fi Generallisimo

U18 2nd Cutest NS'er 2015
Best Role Play - Science Fiction 2015: Athena Program

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Fri May 15, 2015 6:26 pm

Vancon wrote:
Kaboomlandia wrote:How would I RP me dealing with a nation breaking conditions that I set out for them in their last RP? Basically:

If both RPs are in the same timeline and universe, then mention it to their soldiers/officers/boss and let the shitstorm snowball begin.

They both involve the same OP. I really don't want to have to use my precious supply of nukes on them.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Lamoni
Game Moderator

Postby Lamoni » Fri May 15, 2015 6:56 pm

New Reutlingen wrote:
Lamoni wrote:

Alright, thanks Lamoni!

One more stupid question. I'm not sure if I should be posting this here, or in the factbook questions section. I think it could be applied to both threads.

How would I go about setting up an embassy, and what are they for other than encouraging discussion between players on the forums?

You're welcome.

As for embassy threads, those go in F&NI, IIRC. One thing that i've seen people do with that kind of thread is to invite everyone who has an embassy to certain threads like parties, galas, and the like, or using them to expand the number of people that they RP with.
National Anthem
Resides in Greater Dienstad. (Former) Mayor of Equilism.
I'm a Senior N&I RP Mentor. Questions? TG me!
Licana on the M-21A2 MBT: "Well, it is one of the most badass tanks on NS."

Vortiaganica: Lamoni I understand fully, of course. The two (Lamoni & Lyras) are more inseparable than the Clinton family and politics.

Triplebaconation: Lamoni commands a quiet respect that carries its own authority. He is the Mandela of NS.

Part of the Meow family in Gameplay, and a GORRAM GAME MOD! My TGs are NOT for Mod Stuff.

Tiami
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 24, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tiami » Fri May 15, 2015 7:15 pm

Kaboomlandia wrote:
Vancon wrote:If both RPs are in the same timeline and universe, then mention it to their soldiers/officers/boss and let the shitstorm snowball begin.

They both involve the same OP. I really don't want to have to use my precious supply of nukes on them.

For future knowledge, I would advise against ever using nuclear weapons given the propensity of the RPers in said RP generally lack the skill or willpower to properly RP a nuclear attack. For many younger nations, nuclear assets are seen as the do-it-all weapon. To answer with a nuke for them is to answer any threat with. Nuclear weapons take the joy out of worldbuilding and creating a story that will pique the interest of the readers of the thread.

I am in no means saying not to use nuclear weapons. I Am merely advising against its usage. Only in accordance with the other RPers consent and having the attack properly planned, should their usage ever be considered in a RP environment. Ask yourself: what is the best storyline for me- nukes or something else? RP should never be about winning. It should be about the story and the people involved. To me and many other RPers, nuclear weapons are a winner's tool. Besides, being on the losing end offers more excitement in the long run, in my opinion.
The Elven Kingdom of Amador
TETly Father of TETism and 18-year NS vet
|| All things II RP-related || Discord: nstiami || FN&I General Help ||
|| IIWiki || ANI News || Military Worldbuilding || RPing Questions? Ask Here! ||
|| Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3 || The Best Quote ||

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat May 16, 2015 9:49 am

Mind you, RPing the consequences to a society that has engaged in nuclear war is very interesting.

If, yknow, you actually bother to do it.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Sat May 16, 2015 9:50 am

G-Tech Corporation wrote:Mind you, RPing the consequences to a society that has engaged in nuclear war is very interesting.

If, yknow, you actually bother to do it.

I won't nuke them. I probably have the resources to deal with a nation that was founded two weeks ago ;)
Co-Author of SC #204

The Electric Skull
Political Columnist

Founded: May 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Electric Skull » Wed May 27, 2015 6:48 am

Uh, okay, I have read through this all,a nd all of it is good and well, but I still do not have any idea what the hell Role-Playing is....
I am really confused, please help me somebody!!!!

Dyelli Beybi
Negotiator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Dyelli Beybi » Wed May 27, 2015 7:03 am

RP stands for Role Play, basically its acting.

Most people start out be acting out the role of your National leader.

Then you can act out Government departments, the military etc.

Then there is 'character RP' which is acting out the life of one our your random denizens. They could be a random mook in the army or the King or whoever. If something is flagged as character RP the expectations for the level of storytelling will usually be higher, though this is not always the case.

There are heaps of RP threads on the forum, just pop into a few and see what people are doing.

Aquitayne
Senator

Founded: Jun 24, 2011

Postby Aquitayne » Wed May 27, 2015 7:40 am

The Electric Skull wrote:Uh, okay, I have read through this all,a nd all of it is good and well, but I still do not have any idea what the hell Role-Playing is....

Roleplaying is the act of playing out a role (hence Roleplaying) within a story. In NationStates, this can mean anything from a Head of State (President, Dictator, Regime, etc) to a regular folk caught in the midst of an economic downturn or catastrophic natural disaster or one whom is caught in the middle of an invading foe.

NationStates' beauty derives from its ability to be anything and nothing at the same time. You will not find game mechanics that tell you how many soldiers you have, how many people you have, how much money you have. You have to decide all of these things yourself, and I urge you to look at the many, many guides here on International Incidents and GE&T to get a feel for how the game works, and avoid trackers like NSTracker and the like.

If you have any questions, don't hesitate to send me a TG (telegram)!
[ Embassy Program | A Collection of Essays | Parliamentary Hansard | Axalon Private Military Company | My iiwiki Page ]
[ W&A: Global Intelligence | Aquitaynian Foreign Legion | Affairs of the Region | Freyport Armory ]

I'm a former N&I RP Mentor, not very active these days but feel free to reach out if I can help with anything!

"When you have power, use it to build people, not constrict them."-Bertrand Russell
"I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends."-Abraham Lincoln

Duderology - The Study of Duder.
16:08 GHawkins I continue to be amazed by Aq's ability to fuck up his own name.

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rhodevus » Wed May 27, 2015 8:42 am

The Electric Skull wrote:Uh, okay, I have read through this all,a nd all of it is good and well, but I still do not have any idea what the hell Role-Playing is....

How I like to think of Roleplaying, is that it basically is telling a story, but from multiple points of view. Each person writes a single chapter of the story from your own personal character's point of view (a character can be a person, or even the entire country) and then another person rights another chapter from their character's point of view. Each person builds on the other, creating a story
She/Her
IATA Member Embassy Character Creation 101
Do not argue against me, you will lose...or win, depending on the situation
The Official Madman with a Box
Rodrania wrote:Rhod, I f*cking love you, man. <3
Divergia wrote:The Canadian Polar-Potato-Moose-Cat has spoken!
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook
International Exchange Student Program Member
XENOS MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

Abserdia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 05, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Abserdia » Wed May 27, 2015 3:20 pm

Roleplaying is like a book written by multiple people. They all play different people and parts, and they all have their own ideas and hopes.
Black lives matter

Recommend me shoegaze and ambient music.

So long, Frank Lloyd Wright
I can't believe your song is gone so soon...
I barely learned the tune
So soon, so soon

Grand Nicholia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Nicholia » Sun May 31, 2015 7:27 pm

Does grave digging count if it is done by the original poster?
Nam et Deum et Regem

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Sun May 31, 2015 7:28 pm

Grand Nicholia wrote:Does grave digging count if it is done by the original poster?

Pretty much. If you want to bring back up a topic, you could reboot it, but if it died it probably did so for a reason.
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Grand Nicholia
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 13, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Grand Nicholia » Sun May 31, 2015 7:28 pm

Vancon wrote:
Grand Nicholia wrote:Does grave digging count if it is done by the original poster?

Pretty much. If you want to bring back up a topic, you could reboot it, but if it died it probably did so for a reason.

Ok, just wondering.
Nam et Deum et Regem

Proud member of The Anti Democracy League

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Sun May 31, 2015 7:33 pm

Grand Nicholia wrote:
Vancon wrote:Pretty much. If you want to bring back up a topic, you could reboot it, but if it died it probably did so for a reason.

Ok, just wondering.

No problem.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:05 am

Well, it depends on the context. If it's an old RP that you and other participants are reviving, I think gravedigging's usually okay. Storefronts can be bumped after years of inactivity. I don't know what the deal is in F&NI but I imagine your own embassy would also be bumpable.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Kusia
Secretary

Founded: Feb 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kusia » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:02 pm

Did I do anything wrong in the summary me and Suyalia are having a war RP but no one isn't joining

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=343388

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:08 pm

Kusia wrote:Did I do anything wrong in the summary me and Suyalia are having a war RP but no one isn't joining

https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopi ... 5&t=343388

The most obvious thing is that it doesn't seem all that welcoming. There's nothing really saying that you want people to join.

Minus the part that's in the title, but there's nowhere people can write themselves in.
Last edited by Vancon on Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Kusia
Secretary

Founded: Feb 21, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Kusia » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:20 pm

Vancon wrote:
Kusia wrote:Did I do anything wrong in the summary me and Suyalia are having a war RP but no one isn't joining

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=343388

The most obvious thing is that it doesn't seem all that welcoming. There's nothing really saying that you want people to join.

Minus the part that's in the title, but there's nowhere people can write themselves in.

So send a message to nations that have heard about the news and have Kusia ask for help.

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Wed Jun 03, 2015 2:23 pm

Kusia wrote:
Vancon wrote:The most obvious thing is that it doesn't seem all that welcoming. There's nothing really saying that you want people to join.

So send a message to nations that have heard about the news and have Kusia ask for help.

Uh, sure. That is, if I get what you're saying. You probably want to put more content. Here's an older RP of mine. It's not that good, but at least it has a well-ish done OP and an OOC that generated interest first. You need to make something interesting so that people want to join.

Santheres
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 29, 2005
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Santheres » Wed Jun 03, 2015 3:44 pm

https://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopi ... 5&t=343388

What Vancon has said is worthwhile to consider. Many RPers like more detail and more places to easily insert themselves into the story. Not every RPer wants to just "send message, start fighting" or similar; and even if many do, there are a hundred other RPs that are just the same that someone can do. There's more supply than demand, quite honestly.

When I look at your post, the only one with any modicum of interesting content is the first one, and it's not very much. You mention some things, but you don't actually write about them. The post could almost be formatted with bullet points. I think you should consider putting more work into your posts. That may help with quantity of responses, but most definitely will improve the quality of them.

I also don't think it helps that you and the other post thought it necessary to post "no godmodding." That should be a given.
:: Absolutely Orwellian :: Positively Kafkaesque ::
:: Undeviatingly the Year of Our Lord Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Four ::
:: IIWiki :: The Local Cluster (FT) :: NSFT Community Discord :: IIWiki Community Discord
Up on the housetop Santhbots pause;
Peace torn apart by steely claws!
Does it bring gifts of fun and games?
Nay, 'tis the king of acid rains!
Where can we flee from Santhbot's path?
No place is sheltered from his wrath!
Cyborg horror of the skies,
Flee! Save your children! Santhbot rides!
Proprietor of IIwiki :: santh dot ns, gmail for any iiwiki inquiries (and only iiwiki inquiries)
NS RP Community Manager - my TGs are open for RP community management/moderation purposes

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents