NATION

PASSWORD

RPing Questions? Ask Here!

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Rhodevus
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 19, 2013
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rhodevus » Tue Nov 25, 2014 2:51 pm

Frindgeland wrote:What do you mean declaring war can I just type that I declare war on another nation or no

To declare war, you need to ask another nation if they want to have a war. When we said declare a war we meant control both sides.you are not allowed to just randomly pick a nation and declare war on them without asking.
She/Her
IATA Member Embassy Character Creation 101
Do not argue against me, you will lose...or win, depending on the situation
The Official Madman with a Box
Rodrania wrote:Rhod, I f*cking love you, man. <3
Divergia wrote:The Canadian Polar-Potato-Moose-Cat has spoken!
Beiluxia wrote:Is it just me, or does your name keep getting better the more I see it?

Factbook
International Exchange Student Program Member
XENOS MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

Tiami
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 24, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tiami » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:09 pm

Rhodevus wrote:
Frindgeland wrote:What do you mean declaring war can I just type that I declare war on another nation or no

To declare war, you need to ask another nation if they want to have a war. When we said declare a war we meant control both sides.you are not allowed to just randomly pick a nation and declare war on them without asking.

If the player you are asking declines, then you cannot declare war on them; if you declare war regardless, said player can render it useless by not recognizing it, meaning it's non-canon and there can be moderation intervention for forcing someone to participate in a thread they do not want to be in. Always make sure that when both sides agree to war that there is a solid line of communication with each other. You do not want to have too many OOC conflicts that could hurt the integrity of the thread.
The Elven Kingdom of Amador
Founder of TETism and 18-year NS vet
|| All things II RP-related || Discord: nstiami || FN&I General Help ||
|| IIWiki || ANI News || Military Worldbuilding || RPing Questions? Ask Here! ||
|| Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3 || The Best Quote ||

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Tue Nov 25, 2014 5:19 pm

Vermark wrote:How does a new formed nation get involved in International Incidents? It seems to me like the storylines of II involve nations with precedent histories and adequate amounts of power. A newer nation such as mine has none of the above, so how can I go about getting started?

Thanks.

Or you can ally with warmongering nations like myself, and get involved that way, when I drag you into my weekly wars.
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Kampeki
Secretary

Founded: Nov 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Kampeki » Wed Nov 26, 2014 3:14 am

Quick rp question:

How would a partially oppressive technocratic and meritocratic government react to a theocratic or communistic system?

Also, how would a small nation like Kampeki develop a reasonable reputation (as in, not cheating, playing fiat, being negotiable etc). Time? Or just generally upholding such ideals?

Thanks in advance, Kampeki.

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 01, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Wed Nov 26, 2014 8:38 am

Kampeki wrote:Quick rp question:

How would a partially oppressive technocratic and meritocratic government react to a theocratic or communistic system?

Also, how would a small nation like Kampeki develop a reasonable reputation (as in, not cheating, playing fiat, being negotiable etc). Time? Or just generally upholding such ideals?

Thanks in advance, Kampeki.

For the first question, it would seem unlikely well. However, you shouldn't let a thread like this dictate your actions. It can be an interesting story to establish reasons why two states with such different cultures get along with each other than just assuming they'd be an enemy.

As for establishing a reputation, two things: time and activity. If you're active, e.g. rping, posting, developing your factbook, joining and working with a region, and spend a lot of time doing so, you'll start to get a reputation for your nation as being a certain way. It can't be developed out of thin air, and will take a lot of time and effort.

Kampeki
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Kampeki » Wed Nov 26, 2014 9:12 am

Thank you for your reply Lubyak.

This information is most useful. I think we would tolerate those governments, but not really enjoy it. Our worst enemy would be an Idiocracy.

Draica
Senator

Founded: Feb 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Draica » Thu Nov 27, 2014 12:03 am

Can we have a RP mentor at this thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=320967&p=22519788

There is suspected godmodding, like this:

http://prntscr.com/5alcz0

That can be found in this post:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=320656&p=22587196&sid=21062835a5dbde40e403980d48715c55#p22587196

We've also had many fights in this RP over godmodding and realism..I think a RP mentor would help before I have to start kicking.

OOC thread:

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=320967&p=22519788
Draica is a Federal Republic nation ran by conservatives and Libertarians! If you ever wanna rp a state visit, a war, a debate with one of my leaders or a conservative/libertarian philosopher, or just wanna tg me in general(I like TGs) drop me a TG!
Allies: Pantorrum, Korgenstin, Zebraltar, Kiribati-Tarawa, Democratic Sabha. Idoa, Allaena, Lledia.
Enemies: Arkania 5, any communist nation, Drakorvanyia.
Wars:

The Draican-Arkanian war: On-going

The Waldensian-Draican-Kiribati Cold War: Won. Dissolution of Communist Government in Waldensia

The Draican-Die erworbenen Namen war: Draica successfully defended, retaliation called off.

Draica
Senator

Founded: Feb 06, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Draica » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:43 am

Anyone going to come in and examine the rp?
Draica is a Federal Republic nation ran by conservatives and Libertarians! If you ever wanna rp a state visit, a war, a debate with one of my leaders or a conservative/libertarian philosopher, or just wanna tg me in general(I like TGs) drop me a TG!
Allies: Pantorrum, Korgenstin, Zebraltar, Kiribati-Tarawa, Democratic Sabha. Idoa, Allaena, Lledia.
Enemies: Arkania 5, any communist nation, Drakorvanyia.
Wars:

The Draican-Arkanian war: On-going

The Waldensian-Draican-Kiribati Cold War: Won. Dissolution of Communist Government in Waldensia

The Draican-Die erworbenen Namen war: Draica successfully defended, retaliation called off.

The Macabees
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:46 am

Draica wrote:Anyone going to come in and examine the rp?

1. Pacific Time, it's 7:45AM
  2. It's Thanksgiving

I'm about to make a two hour drive, but if no one answers by the time I get there and get my computer ready, I will take a look at it.

Edit: And, again, it's thanksgiving. So, that's if I have nothing to help with in the preparations.
Last edited by The Macabees on Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
Former Sr. II Roleplaying Mentor | Factbook

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

Pharthan
Minister

Founded: Feb 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Pharthan » Thu Nov 27, 2014 8:50 am

Yeah, if that's his very first post involving that set of missiles, he needs to give you a chance to defend. If you'd been beating around the bush and trying to ignore them it'd be one thing, but it seems like it's the first post involving the launching of those missiles.

What I'd be more concerned with is how Lleidia somehow has F-22s on a cruiser.
HALCYON ARMS STOREFRONT

"Humanity is a way for the cosmos to know itself." - Carl Sagan
"Besides, if God didn't want us making glowing fish and insect-resistant corn, the building blocks of life wouldn't be so easy for science to fiddle with." - Dracoria

Why haven't I had anything new in my storefront for so long? This is why. I've been busy.

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Thu Nov 27, 2014 11:41 pm

Draica wrote:Anyone going to come in and examine the rp?

As Pharthan said, he should give you the opportunity to defend. He seems to be trying to avoid god-modding by saying 'should' and what not, but he's still taking charge of someone else's losses without their agreement. Not the worst case of godmodding, but should be edited.

Esalonia
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Esalonia » Fri Nov 28, 2014 8:14 am

How realistic is this for an FT empire:

Army
- 1.5 billion Army soldiers
- 430.343.433 million M-4 Tiger Strumpentank
- 230.402.034 million UH-1
- 232.234.232 million UH-1 SIKORSY
- 2311.4423.3343.232 billion Weapon various types

Marine
- 1.2 billion Marine Troops
- 2234.3233.322 billion weapon various types
- 232.23.443 million landing craft
- 223.332.332.232 million M-3 Kriegmarine Blitzkrieg Tank

Navy
- 1231.233.233.233 million Aircraft Carrier
- 223.323.334 million sailor
- 231.343.443.333 million ship various types

Air Force
- 123.233.232 million F-22 Eagle
- 222.232.323.223 million Pilot

Strategy Command Center
- 122.323.123.232 million Missile
- 2329.9333.2332 Nuclear Missile
Tech level: NS MT
Esalonian Factbook *does not use NS Stats anymore*
DEFCON: 1 2 3 4 [5]
Member of these Multilateral Organizations
Fortitudinem wrote:They're a budding power. Pun intended.

Marquesan wrote:You have a damned fine advanced understanding of interior and exterior ballistics for a fifteen year old.

Gim wrote:

You would be an excellent Filipino Super Junior member. :p

Facebook chat:
Sum frind: okay klng? (Are you okay?)
Me: Yes. I am definitely okay in a mental asylum
Sum frind: ?

A Proud Adherent to the Nordic Model

Sunset
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:02 pm

Depends on the Empire, the size of the Empire, etc. More importantly it depends on who you are RPing with. If I saw such a thing as a post or OOC information dump I'd give a little laugh; Lists of numbers are simply not my thing but there are plenty of others who might enjoy it.

So to fairly answer the question you'd have to give a lot more background and a lot more depth. I don't see any spaceships (distinctly) mentioned so I can only assume this is one nation on a single planet. Or is it? Again, that information is more important than the numbers. Is this an Interstellar Empire? Or is it an Earth-Bound Tyranny? Numbers without context aren't very useful.
Last edited by Sunset on Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Colors are Blue and Yellow

Lubyak
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Lubyak » Fri Nov 28, 2014 4:53 pm

To add on to Sunset, I'll be honest, most FT players don't really care about your numbers. By virtue of its being FT, numbers are practically meaningless. In MT or PT, and even PMT a little, you can base your numbers on historical data, current knowledge, etc. You can work to try and figure out how many tanks, ships, etc. you have, how much money they'd cost, what kind of economy and situation you'd need them in, and all sorts of other things. In FT--unless you're going super hard and relying on real world science--all of this is meaningless. With MT you have some kind of objective comparison, so if someone says 'I have a 100,000 Abrams tanks', it means something. I can build off that.

In FT you have nothing like that. No one knows what 100,000 Ubermort class Death Cruisers are or how they'd compare to 10,000 Freedom class battlecruisers, or whatever ship you decide to come up with. As a result, the general trend in FT has been away from solid numbers. In all honesty, throwing around pages like the one you posted, with large lists of big numbers, is unlikely to take you far. People are more interested in what your nation is like. What are its people like? What do they do? What is the military's actual role? What's your states relationship with its neighbors? As Sunset said, you'll get much further with a well developed nation than a page of big numbers.

-The Unified Earth Governments-
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 25, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby -The Unified Earth Governments- » Sun Nov 30, 2014 10:53 pm

Is there a place on NS where someone can make flags or something? Just curious.
FactbookHistoryColoniesEmbassy Program V.IIUNSC Navy (WIP)InfantryAmmo Mods
/// A.N.N. \\\
News - 10/27/2558: Deglassing of Reach is going smoother than expected. | First prototype laser rifle is beginning experimentation. | The Sangheili Civil War is officially over, Arbiter Thel'Vadam and his Swords of Sanghelios have successfully eliminated remaining Covenant cells on Sanghelios. | President Ruth Charet to hold press meeting within the hour on the end of the Sangheili Civil War. | The Citadel Council official introduces the Unggoy as a member of the Citadel.

The Most Important Issue Result - "Robosexual marriages are increasingly common."

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Sun Nov 30, 2014 11:00 pm

-The Unified Earth Governments- wrote:Is there a place on NS where someone can make flags or something? Just curious.

As a matter of fact, there is!
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Astholm
Senator

Founded: Jan 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Astholm » Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:30 am

I have a new RP here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=322128

I have stated the aims of the RP, any constructive criticism or advice on how to get the ball rolling for this sort of RP?
I am creating a canon/continuity as such, and this is the first time I've done this.

As a concept, is it workable, and how would I get players to this sort of RP? Opinions welcomed! :)
Last edited by Astholm on Mon Dec 01, 2014 4:32 am, edited 1 time in total.
[spoiler=About Me]Based on the United Kingdom, but enlarged version with alternate history.
On IIWiki
I have multiple puppets here; only a select few are used to represent the continent of Astholm; others used represent Westholme, and do not artificially boost my nation's statistics.Previously i used puppets with nation names that did not identify as Astholm (e.g. Australis Australia; now all new puppets use ASTHLM, NORTHLM, SOUTHLM, WESTHLM (HLM denoting The Holmes.
NOTE: Other uses of Astholm here have a different continuity and refer to work created by the user Astholm, not the nation

Aeternum Regnum
Lobbyist

Founded: Nov 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Aeternum Regnum » Mon Dec 01, 2014 3:47 pm

I'm interested, though I dislike transplanting nations directly from RL to NS like this, particularly when you get into problems of multiple nations having identical geographies because they are both the US/UK/Soviet Union/whatever. That said, you've given only the vaguest amount of information as to what the RPs actually are.

Tafir
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Tafir » Tue Dec 02, 2014 10:11 am

Astholm wrote:I have a new RP here:
http://forum.nationstates.net/viewtopic ... 4&t=322128

I have stated the aims of the RP, any constructive criticism or advice on how to get the ball rolling for this sort of RP?
I am creating a canon/continuity as such, and this is the first time I've done this.

As a concept, is it workable, and how would I get players to this sort of RP? Opinions welcomed! :)

I think the best way to get an RP going to to have a plot or just the basic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflict_%28narrative%29#Basic_nature_of_conflict
. That is essentially a problem that needs to be solved. I think most common in NS is man vs man conflicts (often in the form of a war), these can be hard to get started in some cases because, both parties to the conflict are created by different writers. I mean, you have created this Craig Anderson guy, so he is probably the protagonist. Then for me to get involved I would need to create the antagonist. But what kind of antagonist does the story call for?

Kampeki
Secretary

Ex-Nation

Postby Kampeki » Wed Dec 03, 2014 1:46 am

Hello again,

I am experiencing another role playing problem. I want to get involved with international affairs, but I have no idea how to. You see, my nation is larger than before, but still quite small, and I want to do something with other nations, rather then them coming to me.

For example, I want to get into a small war test military ability. Maybe not yet, but the other nations are just so big! I have no way to compete, but really want some action as opposed to selling available land. Getting involved in a foreign civil war might be good, but I can't really find any small enough.

Any suggestions?

Roski
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Wed Dec 03, 2014 8:16 am

Kampeki wrote:Hello again,

I am experiencing another role playing problem. I want to get involved with international affairs, but I have no idea how to. You see, my nation is larger than before, but still quite small, and I want to do something with other nations, rather then them coming to me.

For example, I want to get into a small war test military ability. Maybe not yet, but the other nations are just so big! I have no way to compete, but really want some action as opposed to selling available land. Getting involved in a foreign civil war might be good, but I can't really find any small enough.

Any suggestions?

Any form of war is good, you don't have to have 2-9 billion people to support a war. Try to find nations who do realism - IFC, Imperion Coalition, etc etc, and that way, if you bite off more than you can chew, you have people that can help. The best way would be to get into a military alliance - alliances like the IFC/UL look for ideological nations who can RP. The Imperion Coalition is a group of great RPers.

Stahn
Senator

Founded: May 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Stahn » Wed Dec 03, 2014 9:48 am

Kampeki wrote:Hello again,

Any suggestions?

If you are interested you can try this rp:

Interesting Times

It is not competitive. Winning should not be the focus. It is very much based on the notion that NationStates role playing is about collaborative writing. Together in it to make the RP a good and exiting story.

A smaller nation such as yours should be able to contribute just fine.

Astholm
Senator

Founded: Jan 06, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Astholm » Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:05 am

Tafir wrote:
Astholm wrote:I have a new RP here:
viewtopic.php?f=4&t=322128

I think the best way to get an RP going to to have a plot or just the basic
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Conflict_%28narrative%29#Basic_nature_of_conflict
. That is essentially a problem that needs to be solved. I think most common in NS is man vs man conflicts (often in the form of a war), these can be hard to get started in some cases because, both parties to the conflict are created by different writers. I mean, you have created this Craig Anderson guy, so he is probably the protagonist. Then for me to get involved I would need to create the antagonist. But what kind of antagonist does the story call for?

Craig is one of the major characters; however, one thing these RP's all will have in common is that there is no antagonist; the conflict comes from things like nature, the weather, the economy etc. as well as an individual trying to decide which woman he likes. Basically, the conflict as such would be "man vs.nature" or something like that.

TVTropes No Antagpnist page wrote: Rather than representing the conflict as the "good guys" against the "bad guys", the central conflict is caused by other forces and does not feature characters in direct opposition to the protagonists. Instead, the forces at work are more intangible and not bound to a set of characters.

This obviously doesn't mean that there is no conflict or tension. It simply means that the central conflict of the work has no characters that are the source of friction.

Using TVTropes as the playbook, I guess slice of life is the trope that is central to all these RP's.
Last edited by Astholm on Wed Dec 03, 2014 10:06 am, edited 1 time in total.
[spoiler=About Me]Based on the United Kingdom, but enlarged version with alternate history.
On IIWiki
I have multiple puppets here; only a select few are used to represent the continent of Astholm; others used represent Westholme, and do not artificially boost my nation's statistics.Previously i used puppets with nation names that did not identify as Astholm (e.g. Australis Australia; now all new puppets use ASTHLM, NORTHLM, SOUTHLM, WESTHLM (HLM denoting The Holmes.
NOTE: Other uses of Astholm here have a different continuity and refer to work created by the user Astholm, not the nation

Tafir
Bureaucrat

Founded: Dec 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Tafir » Wed Dec 03, 2014 12:40 pm

Astholm wrote:
Craig is one of the major characters; however, one thing these RP's all will have in common is that there is no antagonist; the conflict comes from things like nature, the weather, the economy etc. as well as an individual trying to decide which woman he likes. Basically, the conflict as such would be "man vs.nature" or something like that.

TVTropes No Antagpnist page wrote: Rather than representing the conflict as the "good guys" against the "bad guys", the central conflict is caused by other forces and does not feature characters in direct opposition to the protagonists. Instead, the forces at work are more intangible and not bound to a set of characters.

This obviously doesn't mean that there is no conflict or tension. It simply means that the central conflict of the work has no characters that are the source of friction.

Using TVTropes as the playbook, I guess slice of life is the trope that is central to all these RP's.

I see, then the next thing you need to do is to prime the pump so to speak. Set the scene and invite others to place their characters into it. Although, I do think a slice of life is a hard type of RP to get started and to build interest in.

Summerset Plains
Spokesperson

Founded: May 11, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Summerset Plains » Fri Dec 05, 2014 7:07 am

Yeah i have a question,so when in the international incidents a nation says something about another nation (like a war for independence),so is there a formal invitation to the thread,are they the same guy? who are they?
RPGers wrote:
Nord Amour wrote:Bump

Don't bump after three minutes

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents