NATION

PASSWORD

RPing Questions? Ask Here!

A staging-point for declarations of war and other major diplomatic events. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Tiami
Post Marshal

Founded: Oct 24, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Tiami » Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:30 am

Maltropia wrote:
Clarvecta wrote:
Thank you!

I will look into those regions, thank you for your help. How does one apply?

Different regions have different systems. Greater Dienstad is open to new members; you just move your nation there and introduce yourself and maybe get a spot on the map. Astyria has an application process where you send the WA Delegate a Telegram, there's voting, a probation region, more voting. Those are pretty much the extremes; most RP regions will fall somewhere between those two. If in doubt, ask someone in the region (the Founder and Delegate are probably your best bet).

Regions like Pardes have members vote on an application over a specified period of days. I know in Sondria, if there is a 4:1 ratio of aye to nays, then said nation applying will be accepted. I would also like to make a note of regional IRCs. Before applying for a region, go to their IRC channels and get to know some of the players. It's better to know if you get along with the players before you put forward an application. You want your stay in an RPing region to be prosperous and most importantly, enjoyable.
Last edited by Tiami on Wed Jul 23, 2014 11:31 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Elven Kingdom of Amador
Founder of TETism and 18-year NS vet
|| All things II RP-related || Discord: nstiami || FN&I General Help ||
|| IIWiki || ANI News || Military Worldbuilding || RPing Questions? Ask Here! ||
|| Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3 || The Best Quote ||

New Rhodinia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Rhodinia » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:03 pm

If I could expand on an earlier post... Other than regions, how would I best delve into RP in either Nation States or I.I.? I'm not sure what kind of situation makes an interesting or successful thread. Assassinations, elections, rebellions, it's all a bit too confusing. :?
New Rhodinia's Factbook
Old New Rhodinian Factbook
Livia Maximus' Rise to the Throne

The 1st World Summit of Leaders
Creating Connections, Building Bridges: Guiding the Way into the 21st Century
OBSERVER NATION

Aquitayne
Senator

Founded: Jun 24, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Aquitayne » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:13 pm

New Rhodinia wrote:If I could expand on an earlier post... Other than regions, how would I best delve into RP in either Nation States or I.I.? I'm not sure what kind of situation makes an interesting or successful thread. Assassinations, elections, rebellions, it's all a bit too confusing. :?

It really all depends on what you want to do, what fits your nation's situation or history, and who ends up coming to join you on the ride.

Roleplay regions are a great way to get your feet wet with reliable RP'ers (and hopefully experienced ones, too). They can help mentor you and guide you until it's not as confusing for you.
[ Embassy Program | A Collection of Essays | Parliamentary Hansard | Axalon Private Military Company | My iiwiki Page ]
[ W&A: Global Intelligence | Aquitaynian Foreign Legion | Affairs of the Region | Freyport Armory ]

I'm a former N&I RP Mentor, not very active these days but feel free to reach out if I can help with anything!

"When you have power, use it to build people, not constrict them."-Bertrand Russell
"I destroy my enemies when I make them my friends."-Abraham Lincoln

Duderology - The Study of Duder.
16:08 GHawkins I continue to be amazed by Aq's ability to fuck up his own name.

New Rhodinia
Spokesperson

Founded: Jun 28, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby New Rhodinia » Thu Jul 24, 2014 9:16 pm

Aquitayne wrote:
New Rhodinia wrote:If I could expand on an earlier post... Other than regions, how would I best delve into RP in either Nation States or I.I.? I'm not sure what kind of situation makes an interesting or successful thread. Assassinations, elections, rebellions, it's all a bit too confusing. :?

It really all depends on what you want to do, what fits your nation's situation or history, and who ends up coming to join you on the ride.

Roleplay regions are a great way to get your feet wet with reliable RP'ers (and hopefully experienced ones, too). They can help mentor you and guide you until it's not as confusing for you.

My region right now is mostly inactive, but I don't want to just up and leave; it would be rude in my opinion... But I'll see what I can do to revive my current one. Thanks!
New Rhodinia's Factbook
Old New Rhodinian Factbook
Livia Maximus' Rise to the Throne

The 1st World Summit of Leaders
Creating Connections, Building Bridges: Guiding the Way into the 21st Century
OBSERVER NATION

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:23 pm

I want to do an election thread, however it would be IC (with communiques and news reports from other nations), rather than OOC.

Should I put it in NationStates, or Factbooks and National Information?
Greater Ardokian Empire | It is Ardoki's destiny to rule the whole world!
Unitary Parliamentary Constitutional Republic

Head of State: Grand Emperor Alistair Killian Moriarty
Head of Government: Grand Imperial Chancellor Kennedy Rowan Coleman
Legislature: Imperial Senate
Ruling Party: Imperial Progressive Party
Technology Level: MT (Primary) | PMT, FanT (Secondary)
Politics: Social Democrat
Religion: None
Personality Type: ENTP 3w4

Santheres
Game Moderator

Founded: Apr 29, 2005
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Santheres » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:29 pm

Ardoki wrote:I want to do an election thread, however it would be IC (with communiques and news reports from other nations), rather than OOC.

You could put this in either Nationstates or International Incidents, for sure. Factbooks is a little more iffy because you want actual IC participation - you're unlikely to get it in FNI, so I wouldn't do that.
:: Absolutely Orwellian :: Positively Kafkaesque ::
:: Undeviatingly the Year of Our Lord Nineteen Hundred and Eighty-Four ::
:: IIWiki :: The Local Cluster (FT) :: NSFT Community Discord :: IIWiki Community Discord
Up on the housetop Santhbots pause;
Peace torn apart by steely claws!
Does it bring gifts of fun and games?
Nay, 'tis the king of acid rains!
Where can we flee from Santhbot's path?
No place is sheltered from his wrath!
Cyborg horror of the skies,
Flee! Save your children! Santhbot rides!
Proprietor of IIwiki :: santh dot ns, gmail for any iiwiki inquiries (and only iiwiki inquiries)
NS RP Community Manager - my TGs are open for RP community management/moderation purposes

Ardoki
Postmaster-General

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Ardoki » Fri Jul 25, 2014 7:35 pm

Santheres wrote:
Ardoki wrote:I want to do an election thread, however it would be IC (with communiques and news reports from other nations), rather than OOC.

You could put this in either Nationstates or International Incidents, for sure. Factbooks is a little more iffy because you want actual IC participation - you're unlikely to get it in FNI, so I wouldn't do that.

Okay, thank you. NationStates it is.
Greater Ardokian Empire | It is Ardoki's destiny to rule the whole world!
Unitary Parliamentary Constitutional Republic

Head of State: Grand Emperor Alistair Killian Moriarty
Head of Government: Grand Imperial Chancellor Kennedy Rowan Coleman
Legislature: Imperial Senate
Ruling Party: Imperial Progressive Party
Technology Level: MT (Primary) | PMT, FanT (Secondary)
Politics: Social Democrat
Religion: None
Personality Type: ENTP 3w4

Jachaelter
Envoy

Founded: Jun 09, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Jachaelter » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:39 pm

What kind of thread should you create after a Sign Up Thread?
And what are you supposed to say on Roleplay in II? Like, what's happening to your nation?

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 07, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kylarnatia » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:45 pm

Jachaelter wrote:What kind of thread should you create after a Sign Up Thread?
And what are you supposed to say on Roleplay in II? Like, what's happening to your nation?

Usually, a 'sign-up' thread for a roleplay usually acts as an out-of-character (OOC) thread as well for the roleplay in question, so that the players behind the nations and characters can discuss the happenings of the roleplays and solve any issues and misunderstandings as they may occur. After a 'sign-up' thread, the only other thread you should be making to accompany that thread is an in-character (IC) thread for you and the players to actually roleplay the story. Unless I'm mistaken, I believe it is considered spamming if you use more than two threads (an OOC thread and an IC thread) in one forum for the purposes of one roleplay.

As for what you're supposed to 'say', that highly depends on what the roleplay is about. If it is focused on nations, then yes, usually it's best to talk about the nation as a whole and how it is reacting to the situation it is being faced with, and how both the common citizen and the most powerful politician are reacting to it. However, roleplays can be focused on more than just nations - they can be focused on individual characters or groups, in which case the same would apply: you'd describe the make-up of that group / that individual's character, and then explain how that effects their answer to the given situation that faces them.

I hope this is a suitable answer to your question?
The Ancient Empire of Kylarnatia // Imperium Antiquum Kylarnatiae
Lord of Gholgoth | Factbook (Work in Progress) | Embassy & Consulate Programme
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!
NationState's friendly neighbourhood Egyptologist
Come one, come all to my Trading Card Bazaar!
"Kylarnatia is a rare Nile platypus." - Kyrusia

The Macabees
Senator

Founded: Antiquity
Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Sun Jul 27, 2014 12:51 pm

Jachaelter wrote:And what are you supposed to say on Roleplay in II? Like, what's happening to your nation?

Think of a role play as a story, whether collaborative or individual. Suppose the story is about a labor strike in your capital city, then the role play would be the writing down of that story. You could start, for example, with a meeting between union executives, and then in a second post write about the beginning of the strike, so on and so forth. You might want the tension to build up and the story to climax at some point, so, following the labor strike idea, at some point you might have corporations hire strikebreakers. Other players would write about the same story, just from a different perspective than yours.
Former Sr. II Roleplaying Mentor | Factbook

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

Jachaelter
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Jachaelter » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:09 pm

Thank you both of you guys.

Jachaelter
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Jachaelter » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:12 pm

couple more questions.

When you are going to war with another Region in International Incidents, how do you start off the sign up thread?

How about the Roleplay thread?

And shouldn't you just have nations from both regions sign up?

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:21 pm

Jachaelter wrote:When you are going to war with another Region in International Incidents, how do you start off the sign up thread?

You might give an overview of the story you have in mind. Then maybe you want other players to fill out a form that supplies some information on, for example, former RP experience. You can ask for links to past RPs and see if you'd like include them in your story.

How about the Roleplay thread?

Think of the first page of a book. Where does the story start? A declaration of war? The beginning of the invasion? Mobilization? When you know where you want to start, describe the event -- either through the eyes of a character or from another perspective (like that of a narrator).

And shouldn't you just have nations from both regions sign up?

What do you mean?

The Macabees' Guides to Roleplaying, Worldbuilding, and Other Stuff (please upvote if you like them!)

Jachaelter
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Jachaelter » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:29 pm

Because if you are going to war against ONE region, then why should other nations join?

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:31 pm

Jachaelter wrote:Because if you are going to war against ONE region, then why should other nations join?

Maybe they'd like to help defend that region, perhaps out of a concern for justice or something. Or, maybe you're looking for allies and you can offer others something in return for helping you -- like business contracts, territory, a trade agreement, et cetera. Generally, if people are interested in RPing with you, they'll help you figure out a way of justifying their inclusion in the RP.

Cyyro
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Cyyro » Sun Jul 27, 2014 1:34 pm

Jachaelter wrote:Because if you are going to war against ONE region, then why should other nations join?

Because NationStates RP = Interventionist Simulator 2014
Providence and Port Hope wrote:Cyrro later!

Rikatan wrote:
Cyyro wrote:I didn't even know it could get this low..
You. You jinxed it.

The Blaatschapen wrote:The problem with congress is that it is full of politicians.

Jachaelter
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby Jachaelter » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:12 pm

Do you need a region's permission to start a RP War in II?

Rephesus
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Rephesus » Sun Jul 27, 2014 3:15 pm

Jachaelter wrote:Do you need a region's permission to start a RP War in II?

Depends. You need a nation's permission to involve them, and if a general consensus in a region is to have a region wide war, then sure. But no you can't just say "Region X/Nation X invades Region Y/Nation Y" without their consent.

Some regions have a policy where any nation in the region can invade any other nation in the region, but again it depends on the region.

Now if you mean just any war RP, you don't need anyone's permission to start a thread in II.

You're best to contact everyone involved and get their permission before starting the thread.

Phyllch
Lobbyist

Founded: Jun 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Phyllch » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:11 pm

This really doesn't have to do with RP, but I couldn't find anywhere else to put this.

How do you post a recruitment message on another Region's page? I mean I know that you have to go to Recruiter Friendly Regions, and they have to be game-created, but it won't let me post anything.

Kylarnatia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 07, 2008
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Kylarnatia » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:13 pm

Phyllch wrote:This really doesn't have to do with RP, but I couldn't find anywhere else to put this.

How do you post a recruitment message on another Region's page? I mean I know that you have to go to Recruiter Friendly Regions, and they have to be game-created, but it won't let me post anything.

You either:

(a) Have to be a member of the region in order to post on it's page or;

(b) Have established regional embassies with that region, and they must allow you to post on their page.
The Ancient Empire of Kylarnatia // Imperium Antiquum Kylarnatiae
Lord of Gholgoth | Factbook (Work in Progress) | Embassy & Consulate Programme
I write mostly in PMT-FaNT, and I enjoy worldbuilding and storytelling. Any questions? Ask away!
NationState's friendly neighbourhood Egyptologist
Come one, come all to my Trading Card Bazaar!
"Kylarnatia is a rare Nile platypus." - Kyrusia

Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sun Jul 27, 2014 4:35 pm

Phyllch wrote:This really doesn't have to do with RP, but I couldn't find anywhere else to put this.

For future reference, non-RP Gameside questions tend to go somewhere in this forum. The Guide to Regions in there also has a couple of sections that might answer your question as well. :)
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:46 pm

How do you link to a specific post in a thread? For example how do you have a link that will take you to one specific post in a page?

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Fri Aug 01, 2014 8:49 pm

The Sotoan Union wrote:How do you link to a specific post in a thread? For example how do you have a link that will take you to one specific post in a page?

That little orange or white page icon to the left of the author name.

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:22 pm

The Macabees wrote:
The Sotoan Union wrote:How do you link to a specific post in a thread? For example how do you have a link that will take you to one specific post in a page?

That little orange or white page icon to the left of the author name.

I don't see that.

The Macabees
Senator

Anarchy

Postby The Macabees » Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:38 pm

Here's a screenshot.

Edit: Click on the icon, the page will reload, and that url will take you right to that post.
Last edited by The Macabees on Fri Aug 01, 2014 9:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to International Incidents