NATION

PASSWORD

Conclave of the League [FT, CLOSED, LOTUS]

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
LOTUS Administrator
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 07, 2016
Ex-Nation

Conclave of the League [FT, CLOSED, LOTUS]

Postby LOTUS Administrator » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:08 am

This thread is best viewed with Rift or Century (Wide RMB) themes. If you are using Dark theme, certain images and text may not be rendered correctly. To access your themes, go to Settings.

The Conclave of the League of Organized Territories and United Systems, most often simplified as the Conclave of the League or simply as the Conclave, is the main deliberative, policy-making and, representative assembly of the League of Organized Territories and United Systems—comprised of a plenary of appointed representatives that represent each of the League's member-states. All member-states of LOTUS have equal representation in the Conclave. Its powers and functions are namely to provide a forum for member-states to discuss issues within the scope of the LOTUS Charter, approve the budget of LOTUS, appoint the members of the Committee of Inquiry and Direction, receive reports from other divisions of the League, and make recommendations in the form of Resolutions. Much of its functions, powers, and procedures are outline in Article III of the LOTUS Charter.

Decisions on important issues—namely the election and appointment of CID members, resolutions on security and peace, and budgetary questions—shall be made by a two-thirds majority of representatives present and voting. Other issues and questions, as well as the admission of endorsed signatories, are decided by a simple majority. Each member-state can use one vote.

The Conclave meets in regular annual sessions and special sessions that may be convened at the request of the Committee or by the approval of a simple majority of member-states. Sessions are conducted through conferences taking place in cyberspace—thus, there is no physical assembly building where the members of LOTUS convene. The representatives may choose to interact with his/her fellow representatives in the form of holographic projections, audio/video calls, or other instant communications platforms. This supernetwork is connected via several isomorphs (smart artificial intelligence) that act as conversion systems, which connect the different networks of member-states into a larger quasi-unified communications network.
Last edited by LOTUS Administrator on Tue Dec 12, 2017 6:14 pm, edited 6 times in total.

LOTUS Administrator
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby LOTUS Administrator » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:18 am

As an organization, the League of Organized Territories and United Systems makes its recommendations to its member-states through resolutions, statements made by the League that outline the general view of its signatories in regards to a certain issue. Resolutions may be proposed by any member-state of the League, and must have the support of one other member-state for the Conclave to discuss. Resolutions passed by the Conclave are not to be considered binding in an individual member-state unless said member-state's national legislature ratifies it.

There are three classifications of resolutions that may be passed by the Conclave: Charter Amendments, General Resolutions, and Appeal Resolutions.

Charter Amendments are defined as any resolutions that will serve as an amendment to the LOTUS Charter. Resolutions of this category should have the support of two member-states before the Conclave may discuss and deliberate.

General Resolutions are defined as resolutions that outline the general disposition of the body of representatives of the Conclave in regards to a certain issue or matter. Resolutions of this category should have the support of one member-state before the Conclave may discuss and deliberate.

Appeal Resolutions are defined as resolutions created by certain concerned member-states that request aid or support from their fellow member-states. This aid can come in the form of speciotarian, military, security or economic aid. Resolutions of this category should have the support of one member-state before the Conclave may discuss and deliberate.

Definition of Star-State Territory and Rights of Navigation in Outer Space
General Resolution, Proposed by the Tharwatine Constellation
    Belos — Aye (D)
    Free State Republic — Aye (D)
    Perseid Federation — Aye (U)
    Solar Cooperative Union — Absent
    Tharwatine Constellation — Aye (R)
    The Ten Thousand Suns — Aye (U)
    United Galactic Star Fleet — Absent
    Usidia — Aye (U)
    Viatra — Aye (D)
Provision of Immediate Aid to the Civilian Government of the SCU
Appeal Resolution, Proposed by the Solar Cooperative Union
To be voted on after discussions
None as of yet

VOTING LEGEND
    Aye — Member-state approves resolution
    Nay — Member-state rejects resolution
    Abstain — Member-state abstains from voting
    Absent — Member-state is absent from Conclave during voting
    Undecided — Member-state has not decided yet
    (U) — Unratified by national legislature
    (R) — Ratified by national legislature
    (D) — Currently being deliberated by national legislature

RESOLUTION TEMPLATE
Code: Select all
[box][Blocktext][align=center][img]http://s20.postimg.org/djae4w37x/LOTUSappimage.png[/img]
[color=#544670][size=150][b]P[/b][/size] [size=120][b]R O P O S E D[/b][/size][Tab=15][/Tab][size=150][b]R[/b][/size] [size=120][b]E S O L U T I O N[/b][/size][/color][/align][hr][/hr][size=85][floatleft][b]Title:[/b] < write title here >
[b]Resolution Type:[/b] < write type here >[/floatleft][floatright][b]Author member-state:[/b] < your nation name >
[b]Importance:[/b] < level of importance (High, Moderate, Low) >[/floatright]
[Tab=1][/Tab]
[tab=1][/tab][/size]
[align=justify]< write body of resolution here >[/align][/Blocktext][/box]

P R O P O S E DR E S O L U T I O N

Title: Resolution on Resolution Examples
Resolution Type: General Resolution
Author member-state: LOTUS Administrator
Importance: High

Recognizing the lack for any example on how to create resolutions,

Fearing that if no example on how the resolution is supposed to look like, proposed resolutions may not come out the way the writers intended,

Seeking to rectify this problem in order to avert any issues related to proposed resolutions in the future,

Hereby submits this proposed resolution to the Conclave for deliberation.
Last edited by LOTUS Administrator on Fri Mar 11, 2016 2:09 am, edited 5 times in total.

LOTUS Administrator
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby LOTUS Administrator » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:19 am

The Committee of Inquiry and Direction is the main executive body of LOTUS. It is composed of a membership of three representatives that are elected from among the Conclave representatives.

This committee's purpose is for the direction, promulgation, and the sure execution of any and all writs, tenders, resolutions, and other legislation ratified by the League whole. The initiating Committee shall consist of no more than three representatives that shall be duly elected from amongst the foundational membership of the League and/or their officially selected, appointed, or elected representatives.

A term shall be defined as a period of time in which a representative serves the Committee. A representative shall serve no more than two consecutive terms on this committee, a term being a period of time not exceeding ninety (90) standard days. The positions of the committee shall be rotated based upon an election to the position by the League whole.

The Committee may also create divisions in order to facilitate its internal organization more effectively.

- ARTICLE III SECTIONS 5-7, LOTUS CHARTER

CURRENT MEMBERSHIP
Perseid FederationUnited Systems of UsidiaBelos
Last edited by LOTUS Administrator on Mon Mar 07, 2016 1:47 am, edited 2 times in total.

LOTUS Administrator
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby LOTUS Administrator » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:20 am

- reserved for future edit -

LOTUS Administrator
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby LOTUS Administrator » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:21 am

LOTUS Administrator
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby LOTUS Administrator » Mon Feb 29, 2016 6:26 am

Tharwatine
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 18, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Tharwatine » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:49 am

This is my first attempt to draft a resolution, so errors are expected to be abound. Please feel free to correct any grammatical, syntax or format errors in the resolution. Discussion about the content is welcomed too.

Title: Definition of Star-State Territory and Rights of Navigation in Outer Space
Author member-state: Tharwatine Constellation

Noting the mention of freespace in Article 1 of the Official Charter of the League of Organized Territories and United Systems (LOTUS) and its definition as areas of space beyond the sovereign territory of any interstellar polities;

Concerned that the lack of an existing and consistent definition of sovereign territory in the Official Charter of LOTUS or existing resolutions might create ambiguity on the boundary between sovereign space and freespace;

Believing that a stable system of rules providing universal definition of territorial space and freespace is necessary for the creation and maintenance of prosperous interplanetary trading network;

Hereby proposes the adaptation of following definition and associated rights of sovereignty and relevant concepts by LOTUS and its member states:

• "World" as natural bodies in hydrostatic equilibrium.
  • "Non-world body" is any object that does not fulfil the definition of world, either by its artificial nature such as space colony, or by insignificant mass to achieve hydrostatic equilibrium, such as asteroids of irregular shape. Non-world body cannot possess a sovereign space.
  • "Sovereign World" as world on which at least one inhabited facility of a polity exist on the surface, or within its atmosphere. The facility must be capable of maintaining prolonged habitation through exploitation of natural resources of said sovereign world. The sovereignty of a sovereign world belongs to the polity that is the rightful owner of the aforementioned facility when said polity is the only one fulfilling such criterion.
  • "Territorial Space" as the area of space concerning a sovereign world that is the summation of:
  • "Sovereign space" of a given polity as the summation of territorial space generated by all its sovereign worlds. The ultimate authority of a sovereign territory belongs to the polity possessing the sovereignty of the relevant territorial space, except when otherwise specified by passed resolutions of LOTUS.
  • "Right of Space Navigation" refers to the right of space vessel to traverse sovereign space of a polity without the need of authorisation from the polity when all following criteria are met:
    • The space vessel invoking said right must not be armed. All apparatus dedicated to, or otherwise capable of inflicting lethal harm towards sentient individuals or other space vessels must not be in active condition.
    • The space vessel invoking said right must not engage in economic activity, defined as any activity that is capable of generating profit by direct exploitation of resources within sovereign space, with the exception of gravity assist, non-permanent solar power collection or other activity that would not pose significant impact on the availability of natural resources to the polity.
    • The space vessel invoking said right must not be in permanent circular or elliptic orbit of the relevant sovereign world. Temporary orbits and trajectories used for the space vessel to escape the sovereign space are thus exempted.
Call me Reno.
Also known as Tuthina.

Factbook

The Solar Cooperative Union
Envoy

Founded: Jul 24, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Solar Cooperative Union » Mon Mar 07, 2016 8:52 am

Title: A Resolution to Provide Immediate Aid to the Civilian Government of the SCU.
Author member-state: Solar Cooperative Union

Recognizing that a continued state of civil war within the Union has reduced the civilian governments ability to continue operation.

Recognizing that the destruction of the Civilian Capital of the SCU and the illegal suspension of the Constitution by the "Office to Maintain National Integrity" has put the continued existence of the rightful government in extreme peril.

Requesting that LOTUS member states provide swift action to prevent the destruction of a signatory government by any means available.
Don't look at this

Idoa
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Idoa » Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:06 pm

Ryan Sanderson leaned forward in his chair and studied the holograms of the other representatives of the Conclave. Communication with the other reps was always a double edged blade Ryan always thought, it was easier to hide body language over the connection, of course that meant it was harder to read the language of the other representative’s avatars as well.

Most of the others seemed to be patiently waiting for anyone to speak up first so Ryan took the opportunity first before anyone else did.

“With respect to the representative of the Tharwatine Constellation and by no means do I wish for it to be perceived that Usidia views their proposal as unimportant, however there is a crisis at hand in our ally the Solar Cooperative Union’s dominion. I recognize that the charter of LOTUS explicitly states that any members can petition for military assistance and other members are not required to assist, however I urge my fellow representatives that have not decided whether or not they will offer help to fully consider the ramifications of what could happen if a new government that we have had no contact or interaction with were to seize control of the SCU. I will plainly state that the United Systems of Usidia will be deploying military forces in an effort to help our friends not only because they have been a staunch ally but because those that oppose them are so willing to casually extinguish life on a mass scale. I speak of course of the recent detonation of a WMD in Poltaur. People who would resort to such members are not the sort of people that Usidia will align itself with, and I urge the other member-states of LOTUS to take this stance as well.” Ryan said with a slight hint of passion in his voice. “I cede the discussion to any other representative.”

Ceasing his speech Ryan leaned back in his chair and tried to study the reactions of the others for a few seconds before giving up, he was interested how the others would react honestly. While distance had no real meaning in the galaxy at large Usidia was one of the closer systems to the SCU and as such the United Systems felt that a more active role was needed from them, Ryan just hoped the others wouldn’t debate the matter until the civil war was over with.
Last edited by Idoa on Wed Mar 09, 2016 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[04:06] (Allanea) he roleplays his nation as this openly and utterly evil thing
[04:07] (Allanea) that kidnaps people and crucifies children
[04:07] (Allanea) like I can just stab this

PMT/FanT: The Federated States of Idoa
FT: The United Systems of Usidia

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Solar Cooperative Union » Wed Mar 09, 2016 10:39 pm

Aiko Asalama looked at the Usidian representative's holographic avatar, a gleam of satisfaction bending her lips upwards as he voiced his heartfelt concerns.

" Mister Sanderson expresses the thoughts of this delegation perfectly, though all proposed resolutions are of equal importance, the one I have proposed has a time limit with existential impacts in relation to the body that I represent. As such, until such a time that aid is rendered to my beleaguered and brutalized people I have no choice but to abstain from any further votes as to be sincere in my request. In the past 11 minutes 700 people in my nation have died, this is unacceptable and I implore you to consider a positive support for military aid. As much as it pains me to say, if the request for aid is not accepted I will have no choice but to unilaterally withdraw from this body in protest. Thank you and I cede to the floor."
Last edited by The Solar Cooperative Union on Thu Mar 10, 2016 8:20 am, edited 1 time in total.
Don't look at this

Tharwatine
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Tharwatine » Thu Mar 10, 2016 9:20 pm

Unlike other representatives, the representative of the Tharwatine Constellation for LOTUS did not appear as a coherent physical body - human or otherwise - in the hologram. Instead, a glowing pillar made of a mixture of white and blue - the characteristic Tharwatine colours - could be seen.

"The Machine Goddess and her people acknowledges the temporal sensitivity of the peculiar situation concerning the Solar Cooperative Union. As such, we see no issue in the immediate initiation of discussion regarding its proposal." His - her - it voice was clear and calm, although the monotone expression occupying the dead middle range of human vocalisation between the two sexes made it rather difficult to discern further details that might be hidden from the incorporeal avatar. That said, if the legends of this people was true, then even a humanoid body would not help much in understanding the alien psyche of the Tharwatines.

"As the proposal suggests, the Tharwatine Constellation is willing to provide assistance to the government of the Solar Cooperative Union." The glowing silhouette flickered slightly as a pair of lithe appendages extended slightly sideways, as if it was a human speaker trying to extend its arms assuredly. However, brief glimpse of the torso beyond the glow seemed to reveal more limb-like structures than a baseline humanoid would have. "By any means available, as the honourable representative requested previously. Indeed, the Machine Goddess has already formulated the involvement of her people in this circumstance, and it should be materialised in brief moment once other honourable member states secure LOTUS access to the concerned zones of strife."
Last edited by Tharwatine on Thu Mar 10, 2016 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Call me Reno.
Also known as Tuthina.

Factbook

Federal Republic of Free States
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal Republic of Free States » Fri Mar 11, 2016 3:04 pm

Republican Controlled Space
Axul System, Planet Anull
Gallance City
LOTUS Emissary Building

Coming into her office, she glanced at the clock on the wall, Shit, Melissa was already late. She cursed herself at scheduling a meeting with her staff before the Conclave meeting was supposed to begin. Sighing as she took a seat at her desk, she hit the button on the bottom of the terminal, bringing the display screen to life. As the system itself booted up, and the connection to the superluminal communication network came to life. Melissa ran her hands through her blonde hair and took a deep breath; it was evident that the Conclave session was already underway. These ad-hoc meetings usually had something to do with the next greatest “crisis” to befall the new League. The unfortunate distance between league members typically forced Melissa to see these meetings by recorded video and respond accordingly later. However she counted her blessings to actually catch a Conclave meeting in session, the other delegates eventually materialized on her screen and she began to focus on the topics at hand.

Melissa saw that there were two resolutions currently before the league members and being discussed by those who are already on. The first one coming from the Tharwatine delegation was more clarification and expansion on one of the sections of the LOTUS charter. Reading over the resolution, Melissa found no real issues with the language of the resolution or with the spirit of the resolution. Better to have things clarified when dealing with broad definitions that may in fact change when crossing multiple foreign governmental lines. Using another program on her computer, she copied the resolution and sent that copy to the State Department. Melissa figured that State would send the resolution to the Senate for further deliberation and maybe even ratification. However her authority given to her by the President’s Office and confirmed by the Senate allowed her to affirm a resolution of this type.

Clearing her throat, “The Free State Republic throws it support behind the Tharwatine resolution in clarifying a section of the LOTUS charter. For all intents and purposes we vote, Aye.”

Seeing the next item for discussion come up on the agenda, a small lump began to form in her throat. The civil war currently besieging the Solar Cooperative Union had begun making some headlines within the Republic. With the detonation of an exotic weapon of mass destruction currently taking over much of the talking points. She had been advised by the President himself to take a soft stance if anything ever came up during Conclave discussions, at least until the Security Advisers could come up with a measured plan of action.

Hearing the stance the Usidia representative is going to take made her realize that there may be over arching international support for combined intervention into the Cooperative Union’s current crisis. That was an encouraging sign, and could pave the avenue for greater LOTUS involvement and military cooperation. With the SCU delegate finishing their request for aid from the League, Melissa herself spoke up.

“The Republic is more than willing to render aid to a League member. At this time we are offering all avenues of non-lethal aid. While I am not authorized to commit Republican Forces to military conflict, I can say that the Security Advisory Council and the President himself are debating courses of action to take. Depending on those conversations, we may be willing to offer much more than non-lethal aid.”

The Ten Thousand Suns
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 23, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Ten Thousand Suns » Sun Mar 13, 2016 5:31 pm

Raiar-mai-wir was wrapped in a tight-fitting orange garment, studded with golden sequins that caught the light whenever she moved. She leaned heavily on the podium before her with her lower pair of arms as she stood on her tail. A screen in the podium relayed facts and opinions from her team.

"The Grand Empire of the Ten Thousand Suns votes to approve the Definition of Star-State Territory and Rights of Navigation in Outer Space. With a hope to expand the definition of territorial space in the future, though this is a fine start.

"As to the Resolution to Provide Immediate Aid to the Civilian Government of the Solar Cooperative Union, the Grand Empire encourages the other members of the League to consider the dangers posed by failing to aid our allies. If we fail to aid the Solar Cooperative Union, this sets a dangerous precedent - in particular, that the League does not protect its own. Translations are always a problem, especially those of legal documents, so I beg the forgiveness of my esteemed colleagues if my understanding of our charter falls from the truth. It seems to my eyes, that by signing Article Two of the charter, we have dedicated ourselves to necessary ‘military and political action’ to maintain the sovereignty of our ally states.

“We propose that military action will be necessary to preserve the sovereignty of our ally, the Solar Cooperative Union. Wary of the threat posed by this new superweapon, we do not want to leap before the prey is sighted. We suggest sending probes to conduct a survey and then forming a committee to plan ...”

Her screen flashed a message, flagged blue for urgent – she paused a second to read it. God of wisdom! What could have they been thinking to rush in so? She looked up from the podium hurriedly, and spread her arms wide, raising her voice.

“The Grand Empire of Ten Thousand Suns will be sending five ships and more than seven hundred sixty-eight ground troops immediately to support our allies in this conflict. More aid will be coming, as the Grand Empire can free resources. As to the threat posed by this rumored superweapon, the answers lie on Poltaur itself. And we cannot let our enemies have access to this new threat. Members of the League, my allies, I urge you to support the Solar Cooperative Union!”

And may the god of war and the god of fools look kindly on our efforts, she added silently.

Perseid Federation
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Perseid Federation » Fri Mar 18, 2016 12:03 am

Perseid Mission to the League of Organized Territories and United Systems
Sivulon Reach, Alpha Quadrant — circa 1370 XS

Back in this dark room again. There was only a dim white light emanating from the floor. The door slid shut behind Ptolemos as he slowly walked through the aisle in the middle. He was walking through a passage between two lines of pods. These special pods were made for him and his fellow counterparts out there in the Galaxy for the sake of communication, or in this case convening in the recesses of cyberspace. Few people have been to the chamber built under the main offices of the Perseid Mission to the League of Organized Territories and United Systems, and many who had worked at the mission had no idea why that chamber is off limits to them—even though they knew pretty much what was going on down there.

His biometrics were confirmed, and he stepped into the pod and made himself comfortable. The foam lining the pod must be a bit hard for his back, even though his body was pressing down on it a little, but he could manage. The door closed in front of him, blocking out the light of the room and filling the pod in darkness. It was like he was placed in a coffin.

He could hear a couple of whirrs coming from somewhere. He could also feel some kind of light breeze brushing on his face. The light activated, brightening the inside of the pod and revealing a white interior. He felt like he was in a crammed version of Macepheles, if the gods would let him in. A screen manifested in front of him—the logo of LOTUS appearing in the middle of the screen. He could hear an isomorph speaking in a disembodied voice saying in Perse, "Welcome to the Conclave, Representative Rozaklis. Connecting you to the network in a few moments." This shouldn't take long, he thought to himself. It never does.

In an instant, the holographic projections of the other representatives materialized. Their upper bodies were only shown to him—well, save for the Tharwatine, which only had some kind of blue and white projection that had no discernible form. At least he could identify the Free State Republican, the Usidian, the Belosian, and the others by their appearance. The xenos were quite easy to discern, because often times xeno star-states have been represented by a certain kind of intelligent species—often the dominant one. But nonetheless, everyone was here. It was now time to begin this emergency session.

The first item on the agenda of the session was a proposed resolution from the Tharwatine Constellation, one that was voted on after a few minutes of discussion. Ptolemos voted for the approval of the resolution, as did everyone else present, so it can be said that was one agendum crossed out of the list. The next one seemed to be more pressing of the League's attention: the civil war that was brewing in the Solar Cooperative Union. Many of the holograms were distraught by the news, especially of the detonation of a certain WMD in Poltaur. Such reports had also made the Foreign Relations and Defense Organs concerned of any further developments in the SCU, and Sec. Milonos had expressed that this matter be brought up before LOTUS, and that the Perseids are willing to send aid. Looks like that had been done for him.

After the snakewoman had finished addressing the Conclave, Ptolemos pressed a button on his side and spoke, "While indeed military action would be necessary for some of our member-states in order to preserve the legitimacy of the SCU's incumbent government, as well as the territorial integrity of the country from collapsing from within, what would be more important is the provision of speciotarian aid to civilians affected by the war. As we are speaking, hundreds of thousands if not millions of them are in need of food, shelter, and medical attention. As an organization we should pull our resources together to reach people in need, or else they will join those who have suffered from the conflict. With this in mind, I believe that some of us share the same position on this matter."
Last edited by Perseid Federation on Wed Jun 08, 2016 5:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
T H EP E R S E I DF E D E R A T I O N
Μ ε τ α ξ ύτ ω νΜ ε γ α λ ε ί οΑ σ τ έ ρ ι α
Official Factbook | Organ of Foreign Relations | LOTUS | The Local Cluster | NSFT Discord | FT Advice and Assistance Thread

"You can't ignore it. All his ultimatums come with his delicious, delicious booze" - Telros
FT-Prime Puppet of Stormwrath.

Viatra
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Viatra » Tue Mar 22, 2016 12:21 am

Beta Quadrant
Viatran Space
Planet Achez

Representing the Kingdom of Viatra at the Conclave was Arruns Na Ruath. He sported the finest apparel available to those of the upper echelons of Viatrix society. He was pacing about as he spoke with the rest of his diplomatic staff and advisers. He had experts on each of the member states of LOTUS with him to go over what would present Viatra in the best possible light to them while he thought of what was the best decision for the Kingdom. He was not necessarily inexperienced, but connections and marriage into the ruling family the Kimro elevated him far beyond what he could have dreamt of. Now as the representative to the Conclave he held a role many of his in-laws were envious and hated him for. King Roroc seemed rather taken by him and trusted his judgment, but it was well known the Military Council of Viatra was rather hesitant to send any of its military off on ventures that would not directly benefit them.

He eventually left the meeting room he was in and dismissed everyone as the Conclave was going to expect their presence soon enough. He made his way through the numerous hallways of the grandiose palace of the King, passing by several patrolling royal guardsmen as he did so. The Viatrix representative arrived in a large room. As he did so, the room darkened as bright holograms materialized and displayed the rest of the Conclave. As he stood forward facing towards his fellow representatives he listened carefully to each and every one of those who spoke in turn. He was well-dressed and well-groomed. Silently he waited patiently with a dignified stance without interrupting the others as they spoke in turn. Without much candor or discussion, he gave his approval on behalf of Viatra in the resolution regarding Navigation even if he personally considered the Tharwatine a non-entity and thought it distasteful to give such a tiny polity legitimacy. Naturally, he kept such thoughts to himself and it was an easy decision to make for him as he was well-aware the Crown had rarely regulated navigation for the tribes and only trouble could brew if they had accidentally violated space other member-states had laid claim to without having strong control of a section of space. Nor was he concerned about these rights being abused.

Yet, it was the emergency resolution regarding the SCU that caused him to stiffen somewhat. He was of two minds regarding the civil conflict that had destabilized their ally. First, Viatra by principle did not support interfering in another state's affairs because that would open the floodgates of making it permissible for other states to interfere in Viatran affairs. Yet, trade was highly valued and there was great uncertainty whether the rebellion would abide by previous commercial agreements or even remain in LOTUS should they be successful in conquering the current government. Therefore, Arruns Na Ruath hesitated and unsurprisingly was among the few who had not yet offered an opinion one way or the other when he finally responded.

"I must concur with the Representative of the Perseid Federation. It is important the displaced are protected from the excesses of the conflict and that the sovereignty of the SCU is assured. Viatrice citizens will be fined should they be discovered conducting commerce in space unlawfully occupied by insurgents and material aid shall be sent to the SCU as well as military advisers to help cooperate military and aid efforts for those affected by displacement and starvation. The Military Council shall consider direct military intervention in the coming days and will directly contact the SCU government soon. It goes without saying that Viatra condemns the insurgents and wishes to reassure SCU that it has our support in this matter."
Last edited by Viatra on Fri May 20, 2016 2:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Idoa
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Idoa » Mon Jun 06, 2016 10:46 pm

Ryan Sanderson looked over his notes as he prepared for his presentation for the Conclave. A small twinge of pride went through his mind as he looked over the basic data outline that he would be presenting to the rest of the delegates. The Life Star was a rather ambitious project for the USU by itself which was why Ryan had been asked to solicit more investors from within the League. After the Star News Network announcement the Department of Foreign Relations had already been contacted by another star polity that was interested in investing in what many had been calling the Life Star Project. Swiping everything in order Ryan leaned forward and touched the button that initiated the live-link between himself and the other delegates.

“Greetings my fellow delegate members, I come before you all today with news of an opportunity for interested states as well as private entities that desire to make an investment in the largest project to date the Usidian government has commissioned ever. I am speaking of course about the Life Star Project.” Ryan said as he reached down and pushed another button that uploaded the very basic outline of the Life Star Project proposal.

Life Star Project

Dimension: 25 km diameter sphere

Personnel/Population: 600,000

Personnel consists of over 150,000 station workers, station personnel are considered; technicians that operate the station’s life support systems, maintenance staff that keep the station cleaned, station drones operating and systems functioning, medical personnel that see to the well being of every person living and working aboard the station, laborers that work in the docking facilities as well as other areas, administrative staff that ensures the station runs smoothly, food staff that operate the multitude of cafeterias and restaurants, leisure staff that work the various recreational and relaxation facilities scattered across the station, and supply procurement services who are responsible for supplying the station with goods from the various ships within the support fleet

Nearly 4,000 are security personnel; these include operators for the station’s various defense systems, peace officers who enforce the station’s regulations and ordinances, detectives who investigate serious and heinous crimes committed aboard the station, detainment personnel for the detention facility within the station, and administrative personnel.

Roughly 3,000 are science and research personnel due to the station’s utilization for uplifting as well as it’s predicted broad travels which could be vital in advancing new scientific and technological theories for interested investors.

The remaining 443,000 thousand personnel aboard the station are workers that operate the station’s multitude of machining and fabrication shops, mineral refinery, and manufacturing facilities.

Spacecraft Complement: 512 craft that vary in size as well as function (transporting personnel, equipment tugs, and maintenance/repair vessels are the primary types)

Support Fleet: This number fluctuates from time to time, but at least 30 vessels of varying types accompany the Life Star to assist in its duties, upwards of 70 vessels for support will not be uncommon either though (this does not included the warships assigned to protect Life Star and its fleet) vessels in the support fleet will consist of Mobile Construction Vessels; ships that are designed to alter into large scale manufacturing facilities for components and modules that are too large for the Life Star to build,Medical Cruiser; ships that have state of the art medical facilities and staff that can handle large scale Level 1 trauma emergencies as well as house several thousands of patients at any given time mining ships, Agricultural Vessels; these ships have large automated growing and processing facilities that can churn out fresh meat, grain, fruits, and vegetables to the entire Life Star Relief Station Fleet, a Resort Ship; ship that is specifically designed for rest and relaxation for members of the LSRSF , Cargo Transportation Vessels, and Supply Vessels for the fleet as well.

Facilities aboard the Life Star: While the Life Star’s primary purpose is to be a large scale manufacturing station it does have several other facilities onboard the station as well, facilities which include one level one trauma center as well as three smaller level two trauma centers, and six minor care facilities (dental included), several large scale cafeterias for feeding the large amounts of workers as well as several smaller corporate restaurants, recreation facilities to help keep personnel aboard the station in healthy physical condition, relaxtion lounges as well, six small scale holding facilities as well as one large detainment center until deportation from the Life Star can be arranged, living accommodations for everyone aboard the station, and finally one entire section floor devoted to administration for station personnel.

Life Star Defense Fleet: Currently the United Systems of Usidia has bookmarked one Battle Fleet to the Life Star as its commitment, it is unknown what commitments other nations will provide at this time.

Defensive Armaments: Weapons on the Life Star are entirely defensive in nature, over five thousand automated Linebacker CIWS, the Linebacker CIWS is a dual weapon mount with a 45mm Rapid Fire Point Defense Graser Cannon and a double mount Harbinger missile launchers. In addition too the CIWS on the space station there is an additional four hundred 500mm Graser cannon mounts for defense against capital ships.

“Usidian companies working on the project have already completed Phase 1 of the construction on the station itself, Phase 1 consists of initial frame or superstructure if you will of the space station. Additional investors as well as additional labor pools and manufacturing facilities to draw on are being sought in an effort to streamline construction of the project in effort to complete the Life Star Project well ahead of schedule as it is predicted to be a vital asset in the reconstruction of the Solar Cooperative Union from the aftermath of their civil war as well as the helping the Free State Republic rebuild from the invasion that devastated them recently as well. I can stress how large of an asset the Life Star will be to the interests of LOTUS and if the project is successful the United Systems is ready and willing to begin construction on additional Life Star’s as well.”

Ryan paused a moment as he allowed the other delegates a few seconds to read the short data upload he had provided.

“Now in addition to asking for investors for the LSP I have an additional request from my fellow members of the Conclave. After our public announcement of the Life Star the Usidian government has been contacted by the United Star Empire of Valinon. Interested in the Life Star Project as an investment opportunity, they have also solicited the Usidian government for observer status within LOTUS. As you all know our current Charter has no provisions for star-states that wish to be an observer of the League and until such time that we can make an amendment to the Charter, if the other delegates will agree to it, I would ask that a representative of the United Star Empire of Valinon at the very least be allowed to observe Conclave meetings through the Usidian connection until such time the Conclave itself can define what an observer status would mean and if the other members within the League are interested in implementing such a position.” Ryan said as he finished his short speech.

Viatra
Bureaucrat

Founded: Feb 05, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Viatra » Wed Jun 08, 2016 2:51 pm

Arruns Na Ruath busied himself with the daily affairs of reading letters from tribal leaders and representatives of the Azzom, the legislative body of Viatra. He was often entreating with various governors such as the governor of Noravia in the Altinum system who paid visits to pay respects to their monarch and simultaneously ask for favors. In many ways, Na Ruath acted as Head of State despite that job belonging to the King's cousin Osalra. He was informed that. every able-bodied Ingessan and Arelatian humans native to the nearby Arelate system were sent to fight against a serious incursion by pirates. The blame largely falling upon the Military Council for sending a significant star fleet from the frontier to aid the SCU.

The Areltians were a recent addition to Avenia and proved their worth in a recent war to expand the growing Ingessan polity not long before Viatra's admission to LOTUS. Already much of their two more recent generations were largely conversational in the civilized tongue of Ingessan thanks to the preferential educational system in place to replace their barbaric native tongue. It always caused the delegate to have headaches when he heard the ugly tongue of most foreigners. So guttural and hideous, he thought. Thousands upon thousands of great Ineesti warriors died in the wars and not many from Altinum returned to the frontier colonies once the war was over. In fact, thousands had left and returned back to other parts of Ineesti space such as the Tarraco System or even back to sacred Avenio.

As the presentation began, the Viatrice delegate was in a sour mood, but he maintained his mask of amiability. Prior to the speech, the Conclave was informed that the Azzom of Viatra had refused to ratify the Tharwatine Constellation's resolution regarding the Definition of Star-State Territory and Rights of Navigation in Outer Space. The delegate neglected to mention that a significant portion of the Azzom voiced that it would be absurd to even debate a resolution from the Conclave from a psuedo-polity, in reference to the Thwarwatine state's modest size. The project seemed to be quite interesting, at least, he thought. The project was no doubt going to be rather expensive and there was no guarantee of a significant return on the investment. Yet, he brightened up as the Usidian proudly spoke about their proposal. Even if the monetary investment isn't significant, this is exactly what we need, he thought. To him it was imperative Viatra increased its presence on the galactic scene and its connections with other star polities. Prior to LOTUS, the realm was largely domineering and haughty towards others, especially the smaller states they can come into contact with as they began their expansion outside their core worlds. The Life Star could be a symbol of wealth and power, raising the profile of LOTUS and possibly open doors to more opportunities. The idea was rather comfortable to the Viatrice delegate and the bothersomeness of his earlier affairs no longer dwelled on him. In fact, he became quite eager to speak, but he politely waited until Sanderson was finished with his speech.

Arruns spent a moment to skim over the data he received from Sanderson and began his response, seeming rather intrigued as he spoke.

"Thank you, honorable delegate," he began.

"Fellow delegates, the project is certainly interesting and quite ambitious, but not unrealistically so. I am impressed that Usidia was capable of constructing what has been completed already. I believe this project may be a solution to a problem our people have been having as of late regarding the burgeoning population of our systems. As many of you well know, we have begun in earnest a rather... vigorous policy of colonization and terraforming in recent months on the Viatran frontier. I recall hearing of similar aims in Achez from numerous Talons on the Azzom, but nothing on the scale Usidia has in mind. So, the Maaskasrelia would be willing to grant a license to work outside our systems specifically to find work onboard the Star Life P.roject including engineers, scientists, security experts, technicians, and laborers. I have no doubt tens of thousands from our worlds would be happy to participate and work on such a station."

He let his words hang for a few moments before continuing, "... However, at this time, we cannot promise military vessels to the defense of such a project at the present. Once the conflict in the SCU has been resolved by our capable forces we will revisit the decision. Yet, there're no doubts that some star ships belonging to the Naarak would be willing to assist provide security. Viatran companies will not miss such an opportunity to aid in the construction or the provision of resources necessary for the completion of the project, which has our full support. In regards to the Empire of Valinon, we do not know them and it would be improper for them to listen in until we have discussed the matter first. While your judgment is trusted, it would be rather bizzare for an outside party to watch the Conclave's proceedings. "

Arruns Na Ruath pondered to himself over the plan. Some may criticize that the risks would be great, but plenty of investors among the Naarak will no doubt seek out Osidian companies. The project would create a new demand for resources, manpower, and security and plenty of Viatran companies would be more than willing to provide all three.
Last edited by Viatra on Thu Jun 09, 2016 5:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Federal Republic of Free States
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 04, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Federal Republic of Free States » Thu Jun 09, 2016 4:22 pm

Republican Controlled Space
Axul System, Planet Anull
Gallance City
LOTUS Emissary Building

Melissa’s office has gone several changes over the last several months, yet it still served the same function as the Republic’s link to the League. While there may be new amities, including a new terminal, which she mightily enjoyed and highly appreciated, it still had its original quirky feel. Looking around her office as she waited for the connection to the superluminal network to spool up, she spied the strategic map of the Poltaur conflict zone, that she had hung up to remind herself she played a part in committing men and women to a combat zone. And also to keep track of the ebb and flow of the clash currently playing out in the system, she moved blue and red pins across the system map whenever updates from the SES commanders made there way to her.

The terminal on her desk binged when the connection was ready, and tore her away from her stare to the strategic map. The screen came to life with a growingly familiar face of the Usidian representative, Ryan Sanderson. Entering the conversation a bit late, she only caught the last few words of his opening statement,

“…about the Life Star Project.”

Immediately she was intrigued, and leaned in closer as she saw the data file finish downloading, and plastered itself on her terminals screen. As the information revealed itself to her, the interest only grew inside her. She had begun copying the information file to forward up the chain of command. Hearing the Usidian representative continue on describing the beginning of phase one of construction, her mind was already racing on the possibilities that this project would bring. And then the Usidian representative said it himself,

“helping the Free State Republic rebuild…”

Kilmer and Quixie still lay uninhabited and devastated from the Ashren ‘Vo incursion several years ago, so far the Republic had declared the two systems Martial Exclusive Zones and only the Military had authorization to enter those stellar volumes. There were plans of reconstruction sitting on the table of various Governmental organizations, but it has been an incredibly slow process to secure the necessary funding to move ahead with those plans. The proposition from Usidia however, would change everything about those plans.

Melissa smiled from ear to ear as she saw the reception of the forwarded message. This would indeed be great news to her superiors in the Federal Government, ecstatic news even. She was sure she’d hear back from them before the day was over, and she was more than sure she’d hear a resounding “yes” as far as supporting the Usidian proposal.

Hearing the last section of the Usidian proposal about the suggestion of creating an observer level, at the behest of the Star Empire of Valinon. While her knowledge of the Valinon Empire was limited to conjecture and rumor which filled her file on them that the Department of Intelligence constructed off of extremely limited actionable intelligence. But she did know of the supposed success the Valinor as well as the Raumreich Oversector by extension has had in recent decades in terms of their security and economical heights, and it didn’t sound like such a bad idea to have them as a League observer. However, this file would have to grow a bit, before she could fully sign off on that motion.

“First of all, I’d like to wish you all the best. And congratulate those who have joined us in the League’s attempt in ending the Cooperative Union’s ongoing civil war; our sacrifices shall make the entire League stronger. I would like to praise the Usidian Government for their continual advancement in positive efforts to increase the quality of life across the Galaxy. We are extremely intrigued by the Life Star Project, and the capabilities that this project provides. At this moment I have informed my Government on the proposal itself, but I can say The Republic will be looking forward in cooperating fully with Usidia and the rest of the participating league nations in bringing the Life Star Project to fruition. As of this moment, I do not know the details of our involvement but I can assure the rest of the league that The Republic will take part in funding, constructing, staffing, and defending the Life Star.”

Taking a moment to collect her next thoughts, she pulled up a file on her terminal of what was known about the Star Empire of Valinon, it was not a dense file by any means. But it affirmed to her, what she was about to say.

“As far as creating an observer status position within the League’s charter, the Republic does support that positional change to the charter. We believe in that adding the observer position will allow for greater cooperation with star-states who are intrigued by the League, but are not members of it yet. However, more information on the Valinon Star Empire itself will be needed to be collected either passively or actively before we can accept their nomination to that position. This is not a “no”, but just a inquiry of more information.”

Swith Witherward
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 11, 2012
Democratic Socialists

Postby Swith Witherward » Thu Jun 16, 2016 7:18 pm

The image rendered by the display was razor sharp; the Swithwardian delegate's every bump, ripple and scale could be seen with absolute clarity. Nature blessed his species with brilliant colors which, in turn, blended well with the Halgathian homeworld's vivid flora. It's said that they were some of the most dazzling species to watch in motion - large, rapid-moving predators with clever eyes and wide, snapping jaws. This would have been extremely impressive to witness but for the fact that the Swithwardian delegate never moved. The behavior was typical of his predatory species. Those unfamiliar with it often presumed the Swithwardian government wasted much time on fancy ways to exhibit paint-by-numbers portraits instead of sending actual people to chambers or putting them in front of cameras. It was entirely possible that few had noticed the creature in the portrait had raised its ear a fraction of a centimeter.

The delegate's rare reaction was a direct result of the Definition of Star-State Territory and Rights of Navigation in Outer Space amendment. In fact, the Swithwardian delegate found it rather speciest, and might have actually managed a scowl had his off-camera aid not coughed and politely reminded him that most species were unaware of how species outside their norms operated.

"Let it go, Mr. Bartog," the human telepathically grumbled to the perturbed Halgathian. "We can always pull out if it becomes a problem, sir."

Bartog almost nodded. This was, sadly, the way the Greater Nifidium Convocation frequently approached things. Let it go. They really couldn't be blamed. After all, they were limited by the sum of all their experiences, and were prone to disbelieving in things unless seeing them firsthand. Miscommunication was a bitch. Yet that was why the delegate was here. The GNC, through its witherwards, was genuinely attempting to understand the cosmic bullshit presented by races outside their collective. If misconceptions were allowed to remain... well, that wouldn't do, would it?

Though the delegate remained motionless, Bartog's mind worked at a fairly rapid pace. A message was quickly dispatched through proper channels. It started off as habitually Swithwardian in approach, with much apology made for implying there was any problem with wording at all (Nifid and their Convocation citizenry were painfully polite at all times). After dispensing with this necessary padding, it continued:

If you please, consider that some species have megastructures, usually conceived of as a gigantic shell enclosing a star, designed to collect every iota of a star's energetic output. The Nifid utilize a technology loosely based upon this ancient concept. Their spheres possess a direct connection to an artificial energy source. Many of the Greater Nifidium Convocation's colonies - witherwards, if you will - begin as such. We would be most unhappy if anyone should imply that our artificial systems - which are non-world bodies - are not sovereign space. We recommend omitting "Non-world body cannot posses a sovereign space", or else clarifying your good intent a bit better.

Another paragraph followed which praised the Tharwatine Constellation's initiative and the good effort to solidify terms. Really, the delegate felt the proposal was nicely done. There was only one other thing to address.

We disagree with your proposed "Right of Space Navigation". While you establish excellent criteria, we feel that no entity should ever have the right to enter sovereign space without authorization.

The Halgathian portrait sighed as he dispatched the message. Bartog would have voted "no" on behalf of the Swithwardian government. Not that he had much of a chance. The vote was done. He filed a memo with his government to alert them. They would, of course, continue treat any unauthorized border crossing as an act of war.

Nictitating membranes snapped to moisten Bartog's irises. The delegate broke from static tradition as he leaned forward. "In the matter of speciotorian aid, Swith Witherward is willing to provide assistance through our island province, Thési Érevnah," the Halgathian's deep, melodious tones reflected his genuine sympathy for the victims' plight. "We can dispatch several medical teams to the province and then move them to wherever LOTUS has need."

He paused and gathered his thoughts before speaking again. "Life Star Project? This is an ambitious endeavor. My government will not support it at all unless there is a LOTUS oversight committee assigned to it, and until the details have been hammered out. What you ask for is aid in building a wonderful platform that, in the wrong hands, can swiftly become a dreadful weapon."
★ Senior P2TM RP Mentor ★
How may I help you today?
TG Swith Witherward
Why is everyone a social justice warrior?
Why didn't any of you choose a different class,
like social justice mage or social justice thief?
P2TM Mentor & Personal Bio: Gentlemen, Behold!
Raider Account Bio: The Eternal Bugblatter Fennec of Traal!
Madhouse
Role Play
& Writers Group
Anti-intellectual elitism: the dismissal of science, the arts,
and humanities and their replacement by entertainment,
self-righteousness, ignorance, and deliberate gullibility. - sauce

Tharwatine
Bureaucrat

Ex-Nation

Postby Tharwatine » Sun Jun 19, 2016 9:56 am

The undetermined hologram of the Tharwatine representative briefly flickered as the Swithwardian delegate made its appearance, seemingly out of nowhere. A newly admitted member of the League, it was entirely possible that the connection was just made moments ago. However, despite that, the delegate appeared to be more well-versed in the proposal by the Constellation, arguably even moreso than some of the existing members of LOTUS, and had made its comment on the proposal. While legally, it was a bit too late to vote against the resolution, several subroutines of the delegate and allocated capacity were nonetheless devoted to formulating an answer to Bartog - after all, it was crucial to maintain gestures of good will to others, especially for a small polity like the Constellation, which did not possess the strength required to enjoy the luxury of being rude. After a brief moment, the delegate voiced its response to Bartog, although the vague hologram did not seem to have moved from a glance. "The esteemed opinion of the honourable representative of the Glorious Borderlands of Swith Witherward is heard and analysed by the Machine Goddess. "

"Admittedly, the Tharwatine Constellation does not possess the engineering capacity for the creation of megastructure beyond the scale of space colonies, and thus such possibilities unfortunately escapes the original intention of our proposal. The primary purpose of the clause concerned is to prevent the laws on sovereign space to be abused by liberal construction of settlements that would otherwise infringe on the lawful space of other polities within the league. However, according to the calculation conducted based on information on possible magnitude of witherwards, as well as the addition of clause concerning territorial space, the Machine Goddess believes that the absence of regulations on non-world bodies should not impede on the ability for the proposal to prevent such abuse on the system. In such case, assuming that the megastructure of the Greater Nifidium Convocation manage to fully-enclose the star used to power it, then the entire space enclosed within the structure, as well as its gravity well, would be qualified as the territorial space of said structure." The delegate explained, the tone appeared to be devoid of detectable emotions, although the humble-sounding words might be able to convey sincerity beyond the borders of species. "Regarding the concerns about 'Right of Space Navigation', the Tharwatine Constellation believes in the free usage of interstellar space for commerce with the intention of prosperity. However, the Machine Goddess also acknowledges the security concerns of the lack of control over territorial space, even by civilian vessels. As such, a proposal on the amendment of the proposal, as well as a resolution proposing the establishment of more proper rules on regulating space travel will be proposed should such be deemed necessary. Hopefully, these amendments should be able to satisfy the varying needs of all honourable members of the league."

"In regards to the Life Star Project proposed by the honourable representatives for the United Systems of Usidia, the Tharwatine Constellation applauds the effort already done by the Usidian government." Almost immediately after finishing addressing the Swithwardian response, the hologram flicker once more, before immediately commenting on the Life Star Project. The intonation and the hologram remained the same, although one might suspect the actual delegate had switched to a different subroutine that had been analysing the proposal since the beginning. "However, the Constellation would like to propose a more extensive use of the Support Fleet dubbed by the project proposal. As the Constellation has always been restricted by its natural habitat to opt for a more decentralised scheme of construction, the experience in our development suggest that it might be more efficient for a versatile structure like the Life Star to opt for a more flexible philosophy. In simpler terms, it is in the belief of the Machine Goddess that many of the non-critical components, including more advanced production facility, storage system and additional energy source should be modularised, which is most likely the idea behind the Support Fleet. However, as more often than not these components would maintain stationary to the core structure for the duration of the production plan, the Machine Goddess proposes that the propulsion unit of these ships should be modularised as well, so that they can be attached only when movement is necessary, so as to minimise the chance of damage caused by unwanted ignition of propulsion units."
Call me Reno.
Also known as Tuthina.

Factbook

Perseid Federation
Spokesperson

Founded: Apr 27, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Perseid Federation » Sat Nov 19, 2016 9:46 pm

Perseid Mission to the League of Organized Territories and United Systems
Sivulon Reach, Alpha Quadrant — circa 1370 XS

Months had passed since the conclusion of their last major meeting in this separate portion of cyberspace. A couple more representatives had made the connection to the Conclave, most particularly the one representing a Witherward of the Great Nifidium Convocation—a surprising addition to the League in the eyes of the Perseid representative. Their masters weren't exactly the most sensible of sophonts, but he hoped that the Witherward was indeed pacifist as they say they are. On another note, the Ecclesia didn't seem too happy with the resolution that defined what consisted of sovereign space and what didn't, as well as the implications that it would bring to spacefaring vessels. It was no surprise to Ptolemos Rozaklis that the Ecclesiates had refused to ratify it. And finally, the League's intervention in the Solar Cooperative Union was making progress in its mission to preserve its government, but it has been feared that it may result in the deaths of many. But he knew that today was not to be focused on the suspicious deputies of the Nifid, the stubbornness of the politicians at Firanza, or the millions that lie dead in the sands of a distant world.

Notwithstanding the passage of time, the Conclave has been mostly free of passionate fervor and heated debate, but near-deafening silence had taken its place. Maybe certain issues in the League had lost their importance in the Conclave, or maybe the member-states that held their seats in the League were busy attending to other things that were of greater importance—since the jargon of diplomats could only affect them so far. Whatever the reason, it may seem that today may not be any different. Or was it?

The topic of the hour? The Life Star Project, which was essentially a large metallic sphere the Usidians were in the middle of constructing.

"That was sudden," Ptolemos mumbled to himself. The proposal of the Usidian representative manifested in his vision, and so Ptolemos began reading it over even as the other representatives began to offer commentary. This project to build a giant metal sphere seemed rather ambitious for its scale and scope, even for the Usidians—who in his opinion weren't exactly known to be neat and tidy with whatever the heck those jarheads can put together in outer space—yet they seem to be eager to break their banks to get it done. They had already completed the superstructure, and were preparing to continue with adding facilities to it as well as getting other interested parties to help out. But as he went over the details of the proposal, there were some things that he thought were in wanting. He wished that Sanderson would have provided a section outlining the Life Star's purpose—a 'large-scale manufacturing station' can imply many things, after all.

However, the next thing that Sanderson put forth made Ptolemos a little more cautious, knowing something only a select few in this conference were also aware of. While he was in support of providing other nations observer status in the League, the Star Empire of Valinon wasn't exactly the best nation to give that status to—not at the current state of things in the Alpha Quadrant. Ever since the Sivulon Trade Network saw trade and commerce freely flow through her lanes again, the Perseid Federation began to feel threatened by Valinon and other economic powers based in the ever-influential Solarian Reaches, a feeling which had intensified after the announcement of an expansion of the STN trailward, possibly infringing on the spheres of influence already held by those states. To think that they would be interested in the Life Star...

Ptolemos pressed a button on his console and spoke, "As far as the Charter is concerned, the necessary requirements for amending it to provide the opportunity for non-members to become observers in the League are provided by the Charter. Therefore, I hold no opposition to the establishment of Observer Status in our organization. But," he bit his lip, "I share reservations with other members of the Conclave in providing the Valinor Empire with the opportunity to observe the League until more information has been verified and inconsistencies rectified."

For now the Perseid had chosen to let the issue come to rest for now. Maybe good may come from a closer partnership with the Valinor, regardless of whether things between the Omospondia and the Raumreich hegemon may cool down. He continued, "On a more optimistic note, on behalf of the Perseid Federation I would like to congratulate the Usidian government for the progress it has made with the Life Star Project. I believe I share a similar opinion with many of our fellow representatives—indeed this is an ambitious project, operating on a much greater scale than endeavors of similar purpose—yet it is not a project without merit, despite what ambition would have most believe. Indeed this will help in our efforts to rehabilitate the FSR. But before the Omospondia can provide monetary and labor support to the Life Star Project, we would wish to be provided with further explanation on the Life Star's purposes, functions, and capabilities as well as a list of required resources and equipment that will be used in the construction of the station." Ptolemos had decided not to broach on whether his nation will be providing the Life Star with a capable force for their support fleet—perhaps the time is not yet right for that.

Of course, being the pacifists they are, the Swithwardian had greater concerns—fearing that the Project may fall into the hands of undesirable elements that may seek to use it as a weapon. Facing Bartog's image Ptolemos concurred, "Your points are valid, Mr. Bartog, and I recognize the risks that the League poses itself and non-members in with the construction of the Life Star. I do not speak on behalf of Mr. Sanderson, but I do not believe there are any... offensive capabilities that it supports. After all, it is called the Life Star, so it would be self-contradictory for it to be equipped with dangerous weapons that can cause mass destruction on a large scale."

A simple answer to a simple concern. Or maybe it was a naive answer to a serious matter.
T H EP E R S E I DF E D E R A T I O N
Μ ε τ α ξ ύτ ω νΜ ε γ α λ ε ί οΑ σ τ έ ρ ι α
Official Factbook | Organ of Foreign Relations | LOTUS | The Local Cluster | NSFT Discord | FT Advice and Assistance Thread

"You can't ignore it. All his ultimatums come with his delicious, delicious booze" - Telros
FT-Prime Puppet of Stormwrath.

Idoa
Spokesperson

Ex-Nation

Postby Idoa » Sun Dec 04, 2016 9:20 am

OOC;Collaborative post with Valinon

“First let me offer an apology to the Tharwatine delegate and their nation. In the need too assist our beleaguered ally the Solar Cooperative Union I advocated shelving Tharwatine’s proposal to the Charter until the subject could be revisited, I am greatly embarrassed that I had not returned to it.” said Ryan “On the matter of the proposal itself Usidia is in favor of the Tharwatine delegation’s proposal for amendment to the Charter .”

“Now in regards to Swithwardian delegate’s concerns, first and foremost the Life Star Project is not a weapon, while it does have some weapon systems they are merely for defensive purposes only, some of Usidia’s largest warships have more offensive firepower than the Life Star could ever dream of mustering. Now in regards to establish an oversight committee, Usidia would be against that because we fear to add more red tape to a process that has already taken multiple years to initiate and begin.” Ryan said. Truth be told the Project had almost not been started because of the slow moving bureaucracy within Usidia, that it had managed to pass and construction begun was an even more miraculous feat than the construction of the station itself.

“However in the spirit of cooperation and companionship with our fellow member nations we would be open too the idea of an observation team that would be allowed unrestricted access to the construction site, provided the team would adhere too the safety regulations as well not interfere with the construction itself. I hope this is a suitable compromise that will assuage our Swithwardian delegate’s concern.”

“Furthermore we would be willing to on the idea of an advisory committee which would be chaired by delegates from nations who have made an investment in the LSP whose sole purpose would be making recommendations on the construction of the Life Star.”

“Regarding the concerns over other members not knowing enough about the United Star Empire of Valinon, as such I have requested and received a short dossier on them directly from their ambassador within Usidia.”

Observer Mission to the League of Organised Territories & United Systems (LOTUS)
In the name of Her Imperial Majesty, Empress Friedelinde I, the Government of the United Star Empire of Valinon is resolved to pursue the formation of an observer mission to the Conclave of the League of Organised Territories and United Systems. The United Star Empire acknowledges the chartered mission and foundational ideas of LOTUS and believes both share much in common with the values of the Valinor people and those of the greater Raumreich Oversector. The Government wishes to affirm these shared values by establishing a diplomatic mission to the LOTUS organisation, which can build upon these shared values to form cooperative initiatives and policy developments in spatial volumes where Valinon and LOTUS member states share territorial, economic, or other interests.
The Government is explicitly interested in coordinating with LOTUS commerce protection, anti-piracy, and anti-terrorist through the paralleled operations of the Imperial Armed Forces, Verge Security, and the international forces organised under the League [of the Raumreich] Anti-Piracy Effort (LAPE). However, the areas of supporting economic development programmes and possible military observation of LOTUS exercises are policy areas of near-term future interests.
In terms of immediate action, Valinon wishes to make an offer of funding and other possible assistance to the Life Star Project proposed by the United Star Systems of Usidia. These will include diplomatic advocacy to other members of the international community and other LOTUS member states, if so desired by the Usidian government. The Government also believes a specific commitment to this project will demonstrate its support of the LOTUS organisation’s mission and most tangible reasons for pursuing an observer mission. Therefore, the Government directed Her Imperial Majesty’s Ministry for Foreign Affairs to make the following organisational and portfolio changes to the Embassy accredited to the United Star Systems’ government.
Roselyne Dard-Maran, Ambassador to the United Star Systems of Usidia & Ambassador-at-Large to the Conclave of the League of Organised Territories & United Systems (LOTUS) & Its Member States
Sir Ferenczi Cseke, CKO, Consul of the Embassy & Minister to the United Star Systems of Usidia
Rashad Cumbar, First Secretary of the Usidian Embassy & Special Envoy for Valinor-LOTUS Economic & Trade Affairs
Freggatenkapitän Kira Kioshi, military attaché to the Usidian Embassy & Special Envoy for Valinor-LOTUS Military & Security Relations
Konteradmiral Declan Kelly (Kriegsmarine [KM], Alpha Centauri), Attaché to the Mission & Member for Valinor-LOTUS Military & Security Relations
Oberwachtmeister Kirious Sorbanne (Internal State Security [ISS], Alpha Centauri), Attaché to the Mission & Member for Valinor-LOTUS Policing Relations

“Included with the docket is a short video of the Valinon Ambassadorial team during their meeting with the Usidian State Department Committee and I believe it will clear up and put to bed other members concerns towards the Valinor.”

Roselyne Dard-Maran sat at the table before the assembled members of the Usidian foreign affairs committee. She was a small-statured woman with deep chestnut-coloured eyes, silky, straight brown hair, and thin eyebrows. She wore a fitted black dress that emphasized her thin frame and deeply-tanned skin. Her eyes flowed across the committee members while waiting for the chair to begin the session.
The ambassador to Usidia and, more recently, the Valinor ambassador-at-large to the member states of LOTUS was shared the table with three other figures. Sir Ferenczi Cseke was on older man in a blue silk Zhongsan-esque suit with a high collar. His features and eyes were the naturally dark tones of the Dominion of Chandara rather than Roselyne’s carefully sun-exposed skin. One temple was streaked with grey, and only the empire’s extensive stim variants kept him from showing the fatigue from the extremely quick trip from Alpha Centauri.
Cseke was not the only new member of the Usidian embassy’s staff, but he was the only one besides Roselyne physically present at the committee hearing. A small, flat, black circle setting in front of him allowed the other two members of the expanded diplomatic mission to attend via ansible. Rashad Cumbar, the Madrasi economic negotiator noted for his involvement in the free trade negotiations with Berchest, andFregattenkapitän Kira Koishi of the Kriegsmarine were both attending from differing remote locations. While the Foreign Ministry did have an official uniform, Kira was the only member of the delegation wearing a uniform--Kriegsmarine navy rather than Foreign Service red. Her mouth was small and tight. She periodically glanced to something outside the range of her holographic projection.
Roselyne gave a slight smile as the chair called the committee to session. Her eyes lingered on a few members that were given the full dossier provided to the Usidian foreign ministry by her superiors in the Valinor home system.
‘I want to thank the honourable members for the opportunity to address the Usidian State Department New Foreign Relations Committee. While it has been my pleasure to serve as Her Majesty’s Ambassador to United Systems, I welcome the opportunity that is now before both our nations. The empire has studied the founding documents and mission of the LOTUS organisation with great interest and care. We applaud the decision of your government to join such an organisation and are thankful our existing relationship allowed us to be aware of its creation. LOTUS commitment to improving international security, economic prosperity, and stability across several of the galactic arms are worthy goals. In fact, both the Prime Minister and Foreign Minister von Gentz consider LOTUS formation one of the few bright stars to emerge from the current environment of the Beta and Gamma quadrants. The coordination of commerce protection, anti-terrorism, and other peacekeeping operations across international boundaries and across the transient nature of the quadrants is a noble goal.’
‘These goals are ones that Her Majesty’s Government wishes to support in what ways we can both today and tomorrow. I will be forthright and state that the United Star Empire does not seek active membership in LOTUS, but we are interested in pursuing an observer mission to both the organisation and its individual member states. In the documents provided to the committee, you can see that my government has expanded my portfolio to advance this desire. Sir Ferenczi,’ the older diplomat nodded, ‘is joining the embassy as a consul to handle the day-to-day operations of the embassy and other affairs, though I will remain the accredited ambassador to Usidia. He joins us from a successful career at postings throughout the Raumreich, and after being on planet for only mere hours. My other colleagues, Herr Cumbar and Kapitän Kira, are joining the prospective mission-at-large to the LOTUS states along with me. They bring expertise in areas Valinon most wishes to coordinate with the LOTUS members. Herr Cumbar is an expertise in international trade and cooperative economic agreements; the kapitän is transitioning to this mission from the international staff of the League Anti-Piracy Effort. We will be joined in the coming weeks by a representative from Internal State Security with a background in counter-terrorism and radicalisation prevention.’
‘Commerce, development, and security are critical to stopping the tide of crises and state disruption plaguing much of our galaxy. Valinon wants to start our proposed relationship with the LOTUS organisation as an observer state by supporting the ambitious Life Star Project recently proposed by your government. While details will require formal negotiations, my government is willing to provide both financial and logistical support to the project if desired by Usidia. We are also highly interested in coordinating our commerce protection and anti-slavery operations with the proposed operational formations organised under the Life Star banner; this would include establishing common means of communication and potentially flagging Life Star-registered vessels as ‘ships-of-interest’ in the Kriegsmarine emergency hailing support protocols,’ Kira gave a terse nod.
‘Again, further negotiations will be needed to satisfy both our governments, and I look forward to pursuing these negotiations. I also would like to welcome any and all questions from the honourable members. My government recognises the empire’s position in the galactic community is a complex one, and I have expressed wishes from Minister von Gentz to assuage any concerns, address most pressing questions, and identify other potential areas of common interest whenever possible.’
There was a spark in Roselyne’s eyes as she sat back in her chair, ‘Let us commit our desires to the mutual record of both Usidia and Valinon as a demonstration of what we may do together.’
Observer Mission to the League of Organised Territories & United Systems (LOTUS)
In the name of Her Imperial Majesty, Empress Friedelinde I, the Government of the United Star Empire of Valinon is resolved to pursue the formation of an observer mission to the Conclave of the League of Organised Territories and United Systems. The United Star Empire acknowledges the chartered mission and foundational ideas of LOTUS and believes both share much in common with the values of the Valinor people and those of the greater Raumreich Oversector. The Government wishes to affirm these shared values by establishing a diplomatic mission to the LOTUS organisation, which can build upon these shared values to form cooperative initiatives and policy developments in spatial volumes where Valinon and LOTUS member states share territorial, economic, or other interests.
The Government is explicitly interested in coordinating with LOTUS commerce protection, anti-piracy, and anti-terrorist through the paralleled operations of the Imperial Armed Forces, Verge Security, and the international forces organised under the League [of the Raumreich] Anti-Piracy Effort (LAPE). However, the areas of supporting economic development programmes and possible military observation of LOTUS exercises are policy areas of near-term future interests.
In terms of immediate action, Valinon wishes to make an offer of funding and other possible assistance to the Life Star Project proposed by the United Star Systems of Usidia. These will include diplomatic advocacy to other members of the international community and other LOTUS member states, if so desired by the Usidian government. The Government also believes a specific commitment to this project will demonstrate its support of the LOTUS organisation’s mission and most tangible reasons for pursuing an observer mission. Therefore, the Government directed Her Imperial Majesty’s Ministry for Foreign Affairs to make the following organisational and portfolio changes to the Embassy accredited to the United Star Systems’ government.
Last edited by Idoa on Wed Dec 07, 2016 8:53 am, edited 3 times in total.

Envoy

Ex-Nation

Postby The Solar Cooperative Union » Sun Jan 08, 2017 8:51 pm

Title: A resolution to request recognition and assistance of the Union Transitional Government
Resolution Type: Governmental
Author member-state: The Solar Cooperative Union
Importance: Moderate

As our brave soldiers fight even now to secure the ruins of Poltaur and finally defeat the menace to rightful governance that is the EMA we must also look to the future. Many millions of Union Citizens remain under the control of dissenting factions that control large swathes of the Fringe, while a prolonged military campaign could ultimately reconquer these worlds the Union Military is nearly depleted and diplomatic channels have presented themselves. As such a new government will be formed at the cessation of hostilities, bringing the Fringe into the fold of the Federal Government and restructuring the current civilian and military hierarchy. It is with this significant transition in mind that the Union Delegation request official recognition of this government and transfer of all prisoners and property seized in the Tauris campaign to Federal control unharmed. In addition, should gross abuse of prisoner well being occur in the current campaign this delegation will petition for significant reparations from the offending member state. In order to maintain economic stability in this time of transition this delegation also requests significant relaxations of trade regulations and tariffs on Union exports into member states for the next two standard years.
Don't look at this

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates