NATION

PASSWORD

Esquarian Community (OOC)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Geadland
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Esquarian Community (OOC)

Postby Geadland » Fri Sep 06, 2013 11:47 am

The Esquarian Community is an economic and cultural association of democratic nations in Esquarium. It does not currently come with a formal military alliance, though nations do cooperate on defensive matters.

The central organs of the EC are the Council of Esquarium and the directly-elected Esquarian Parliament. As well as acting as forums for discussion, the Council and Parliament also make supranational laws and allocate a budget to spend on various projects. Each member state has a single delegate on the Council of Esquarium. Parliament delegates must be directly elected using a proportional system and the number of delegates your nation receives is calculated in the formula below.
If this nation is your main RPing nation in Esquarium, the number of seats your nation is entitled to is calculated through this formula:
1) Divide the population by 1 million
2) Take the Base 1.5 log of it (I used this calculator)
3) Square the answer
4) Divide by 3 and round it to the nearest integer.
If this number is less than 5, you will receive 5 seats instead.
If this nation is not your main RPing nation in Esquarium, you will receive 5 seats instead.

Other institutions are the Esquarian Secretariat (the executive branch) and the Council, a meeting of the member states' heads of government. There are two judicial organs - the Court of Justice deals with EC laws (especially regarding trade) and the Court of Human Rights, which can rule on individual cases to prevent human rights abuses.

Nations are expected to be democracies who are free of any alliance with rogue states and who give their citizens certain rights listed on the application below. In principle, the EC will attempt to include as many members as possible, but the existing members reserve the right to block new applicants for any reason.
Code: Select all
[u][b]Application[/b][/u]
[b]Nation name:[/b]
[b]RP population:[/b]
[b]Head of state:[/b]
[b]Head of government:[/b]
[b]When do you want your nation to have ICly joined:[/b] (from its founding in 1990 until the present)

[b]Ruling party/coalition:[/b]
[b]How popular is your current leader and their party/coalition:[/b]
[b]Describe how your government works:[/b]
[b]Economic system:[/b]
[b]Current military alliances:[/b]
[b]Nations in the region you have good relations with:[/b]
[b]Nations in the region you have strained relations with:[/b]

[u][b]Does your nation have...[/b][/u]
[b]Freedom of speech[/b]
[b]Freedom of conscience[/b]
[b]Freedom of assembly[/b]
[b]Freedom of religion[/b]
[b]Freedom of movement[/b]
[b]The right to a fair trial[/b]
[b]Universal adult suffrage[/b]
[b]Racial discrimination[/b]
[b]Religious discrimination[/b]
[b]Gender discrimination[/b]
[b]LGBT discrimination[/b]
[b]Laws to prevent racial/religious/gender/LGBT discrimination[/b]
[b]The death penalty[/b] (in use? on the statute books?)
[b]Torture[/b]
[b]Slavery[/b]
[b]Retroactive laws[/b] (i.e. punishing someone for doing an action in the past when it was legal at the time)

[b]Link to factbook or wiki article:[/b]
[b]Your main RPing nation within Esquarium:[/b] If this nation is not your main RPing nation within Esquarium, you can still join but will only be entitled to 5 seats in the Esquarian Parliament.

You may have one primary nation and up to two secondary nations (puppets) as full members, but each RPer only gets one vote.

This thread was formerly called "New Esquarian Union project (OOC)"
I've been recently been discussing creating an economic community for democratic nations in the region of Esquarium. This would probably be independent from any military alliances and therefore open to neutral nations. A proposal we discussed would be to create the union retroactively and have it founded in 1990, with some nations joining later.

Here's the suggestions I've listed so far. I may add more to this:
  1. A free trade agreement, removing tariffs and import restrictions on trade between nations.
  2. Some form of regional assembly/parliament, which could be directly elected. It could just be a "forum for discussion", but if any of the other suggestions are adopted, it would have some legislative power.
  3. A mechanism to stabilise exchange rates (but not a currency union). It is probably preferable to allow nations to devalue their currency if needed, so the purpose of this would be to limit the fluctuation of exchange rates.
  4. A budget which the assembly/parliament could spend on various projects.
  5. An agreement to relax immigration rules.
  6. A court of human rights.
  7. An EU-style single market. This would take the free trade agreement further by allowing free movement of capital, labour and services across borders. A more moderate alternative is a common market, where the movement of capital and services is relatively free but not completely free.
I'd like to record the stances that other nations in this region have on these proposals. Oh, and it needs a name.
Last edited by Geadland on Tue Dec 08, 2015 4:05 pm, edited 10 times in total.
Kingdom of Geadland (Κογνερηικ Γαυδλȣνδ)
Wiki - Factbook - Map - Language - Esquarium Region - Embassy Program

Swilatia
Negotiator

Founded: Jul 02, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Swilatia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:06 pm

I propose "Union of Esquarium" for the name. That way, it would be like the Esquarium Union, but not.

Also, we support proposals 2, 4, 5, and 6, and oppose proposals 1 and 7. Still not sure about 3.
SvilajskaRepublika Free since 1826

Political Compass
Economic Left/Right: -6.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.31

Crolacia
Minister

Founded: May 04, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Crolacia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:07 pm

We would support everything but have many doubts on the 3.

Iglesian Archipelago
Minister

Founded: Jun 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Iglesian Archipelago » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:41 pm

Everything is fine but still not sure about #3, at least on a retroactive perspective. I suppose that by 2014, the salface will go through overvaluation following an economic miracle in Iglesiantis during the early years of Elena Meralya as prime minister. Also in 1990, the Iglesian economy was still growing and the salface was still strengthening before the 1991 LVSE crash.

I fully agree with retroactivity, since creating the union ICly in 2013 because it was OOCly created in 2013 will look so artificial, so I prefer 1990. This way, I think it will also be more interesting to RP past events which deal with the presence of a specific country in the union (e.g.: Iglesiantis and the invasion of Purzkistan in 1995, when Arvyn Wynzasna was prime minister).

Crolacia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Crolacia » Fri Sep 06, 2013 12:54 pm

Yes, 1990 would be excellent for me too, because PM Marita Samulssun would want Crolacia to be a part of that kind of organization.

Wesstony
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Wesstony » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:03 pm

We'd very interested in this union, and would indeed also be interested in being one of the founding members.
Principality of Wesstony - Constitutional Democratic Monarchy
Ruled by: His Serene Highness Prince Franz-Joseph III of Wesstony
Governed by: First Minister Louise-Amalia Maria Christine Elizabeth von Friessenheim-Nassalt-Derissen-Schleswig

Vyvland
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vyvland » Fri Sep 06, 2013 1:41 pm

Esquarian Community?

Anyway, I like all the proposals and would be very happy to let Vyvland join.

1990 sounds okay, despite the fact that it's necessitate the Conservatives joining the union (1989 would be better from a selfish perspective). Any earlier than 1986ish and Vyvland'd probably have been a new member, but that's totally fine.
Esquarium's favourite Germanic island nation - De lubsde germanig iylaan Esgerms
Wiki
Region: Esquarium
Population: 28.2 million
Languages: Vyvlander and Dutch
Capital: Lorence/Lohrec, Largest cities: Vlud and Lyksdal
President: Robert Ujson (Liberal), Prime Minister: Kurt Blymont (Conservative)
Area: 260,000 km2
Demonym: Vyvlander

Wolfmanne
Senator

Founded: Mar 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne » Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:06 pm

I had my proposed Council of Esqaurium that I kept rambling on about but never got to do. This seems good enough though. I support all 7 proposals except 3, however allow nations to have opt-outs.
Last edited by Wolfmanne on Fri Sep 06, 2013 2:25 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Cicero thinks I'm Rome's Helen of Troy and Octavian thinks he'll get his money, the stupid fools.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:02 pm

I dislike 3, and don't think 2 should have any legislative power.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:12 pm

I'd support 1-5, and seven, and oppose six. Anyways, we could've submitted our bid when the union was founded to join it, but while we are still "candidates," it could be like Turkey in which it is a major controversy, as well as likely to not be done after negotiations have started for at least a decade if it works in our favor.
Last edited by Luziyca on Fri Sep 06, 2013 4:14 pm, edited 1 time in total.
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Wolfmanne
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne » Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:15 am

Ainin wrote:I dislike 3, and don't think 2 should have any legislative power.

2 could be balanced by allowing opt-outs in certain policy issues. I am strongly opposed to 3 though.
Last edited by Wolfmanne on Sat Sep 07, 2013 9:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cicero thinks I'm Rome's Helen of Troy and Octavian thinks he'll get his money, the stupid fools.

Geadland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Geadland » Sun Sep 08, 2013 10:39 am

Right so progress so far:
  • There appears to be general support for founding the union in 1990, though some nations would have joined later.
  • There's support for ideas 2, 4, 5 and 6.
  • We'll leave currencies out of this, as 3 wasn't popular.
  • While most nations support ideas 1 and 7, opt-outs would be allowed.
  • So far, no agreements just yet onto what influence or role the parliament/assembly would have.
  • Not sure about the name yet, but thanks for your suggestions.
I think it's best to write information on the union into a IIwiki article.

Swilatia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Swilatia » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:12 am

We'd probably need to agree on a name before we can start an IIwiki page.

Also, we should come up with a system for who gets how many seats. I'd say, with the huge differences in population between some member nations, 10 times the population should translate to twice the number of seats.

Political Compass

Wolfmanne
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne » Sun Sep 08, 2013 11:19 am

I'm going to nominate the Council of Esquarium and the Organisation of Esquarian Unity. I am opposed to the 'Union of Esquarium' seeing as we already have the Esquarium Union.

Geadland
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Geadland » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:21 pm

I'd support "Esquarian Community". As with the EU, the "Council of Esquarium" could be a meeting between the heads of government of the member states.

Swilatia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Swilatia » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:45 pm

Well, OOCly this would be older than Luziyca's puppets club, which I'd like to take some legitimacy away from. Oh well, I guess I'll go with Esquarian Community, then.

Political Compass

Iglesian Archipelago
Minister

Founded: Jun 16, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Iglesian Archipelago » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:47 pm

"Esquarian Community" is a nice name IMO.

Crolacia
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Crolacia » Sun Sep 08, 2013 12:49 pm

Yeah, EC is nice and simple.

Wolfmanne
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:03 pm

No problems with Esquarium Community.

Luziyca
Post Czar

Founded: Nov 13, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Luziyca » Sun Sep 08, 2013 1:16 pm

Swilatia wrote:Well, OOCly this would be older than Luziyca's puppets club, which I'd like to take some legitimacy away from. Oh well, I guess I'll go with Esquarian Community, then.

I'd retcon the Esquarium Union, or have that retroactively extended to 1975 (in its modern form).
|||The Kingdom of Rwizikuru|||
Your feeble attempts to change the very nature of how time itself has been organized by mankind shall fall on barren ground and bear no fruit
WikiFacebookKylaris: the best region for eight years runningAbout meYouTubePolitical compass

Vyvland
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vyvland » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:48 pm

Swilatia wrote:We'd probably need to agree on a name before we can start an IIwiki page.

Also, we should come up with a system for who gets how many seats. I'd say, with the huge differences in population between some member nations, 10 times the population should translate to twice the number of seats.

As potentially the smallest member, I wouldn't mind having only maybe 5-10 seats, and we don't need to go to the lengths the EU goes due to, as the difference between the populations of Swilatia (largest in Esquarium on NSWiki) and Vyvland (smallest) is only 45x compared to 206x in the EU.

However, I think your idea does hold some weight, especially if doing otherwise would mean Vyvland gets barely any seats.

I'll also happily help set up the Parliament.
Esquarium's favourite Germanic island nation - De lubsde germanig iylaan Esgerms
Wiki

Wolfmanne
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne » Sun Sep 08, 2013 2:52 pm

To clarify, Wolfmanne has a population of 70,863,532 people.

Swilatia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Swilatia » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:05 pm

Luziyca wrote:
Swilatia wrote:Well, OOCly this would be older than Luziyca's puppets club, which I'd like to take some legitimacy away from. Oh well, I guess I'll go with Esquarian Community, then.

I'd retcon the Esquarium Union, or have that retroactively extended to 1975 (in its modern form).

You might not want to move your union with Kofeiya too far back... *cough* Pumzi *cough*

Political Compass

Vyvland
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Vyvland » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:27 pm

Okay, so populations of those who've posted on the thread:

Swilatia - 1272m
Ainin - 671m
Luziyca - 425m
Wesstony - 112m
Wolfmanne - 71m
Iglesiantis - 66m
Geadland - 29m
Vyvland - 28m
Crolacia - 12m / 52m

So either 2686m in total or 2726m.

We could maybe have one member for each 4m, making 672 or 682 or members, or for each 5m making 537 or 545. However, if Crolacia has 12m, this probably wouldn't be a good idea (2 or 3 members only), so we could weight it in some way to mitigate this like Swilatia suggested.
Last edited by Vyvland on Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Wiki

Swilatia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Swilatia » Sun Sep 08, 2013 3:36 pm

From IRC:

[15:53] <Geadland> I've just been experimenting with a seat-allocation formula. One of them gave me: Crolacia 12, Geadland/Vyvland 21, Iglesiantis 33, Ainin 85, Namor 96, Swilatia 108

Seems good, I'd like to know details.

Political Compass

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates