NATION

PASSWORD

A Turn of the Page -- Open IC (Coronation/Masquerade)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Xirnium
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Oct 01, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Xirnium » Fri Sep 27, 2013 12:39 am

‘Um, so do you think we should speak with mister Calabrese?’ Lolabelle looked over at Jean-Thómas, her mouth slightly open.

‘I might text Aubert about it...’ said Jean-Thómas, referring to his minister counsellor. ‘He should be somewhere nearby.’

In fact the Baron Aubert Raphaël Nalâryn had already begun enjoying the festivities.

Once, and only once, had the Baron Nalâryn been asked for his opinion upon the matter of Naiya’s coronation. ‘Well, I say,’ said he, ‘that the world could learn a thing or two from the Dominion, in the matter of succession. Pick the likeliest daughter amongst the next of kin, and as for the rest, strangle the lot!’ Unsurprisingly, the Baron was not asked to share his thoughts again; not that this disturbed him very much.

Never had talent been at a higher premium, nor had Jean-Thómas ever had greater difficulty recruiting intelligent and capable employees, than since he had had to make do without an embassy staff budget or the appeal of an exotic foreign posting. Unfortunately, he was not the only hermit ambassador in Närväryn; indeed, so many of Xirnium’s ambassadors, envoys and ministers plenipotentiary had been withdrawn from nations signatory to the Western Atlantic leagues of Lyeithen and Courtland that they had founded a club — the Anâdal Ellenëthil, or ‘Diplomats Within Borders’ — with comfortable armchairs, bridge rooms and a roof garden and the latest periodicals, housed within a suite of rooms in the old Eastwestern Guarantee Loan Building on Anáryadal street and the Vogàret.

Baron Nalâryn was the eldest son of the Viscountess Séverine zy Däthymäthede, heir to House Auvêzera; in short, he was third in line of succession, under the mother right of Eternal Republic common law, to the lordship of the family, behind his mother and younger sister. To judge by the blackened portraits preserved at Castle Däthymäthede, the family of House Auvêzera had, in days of old, been composed of undaunted lancers and grim-faced dragoons. Squeezed tightly into their old picture-frames, they glared at visitors, who could not help but be impressed with the fixed stare of their eyes, the enormous shells of their iron breastplates or their richly embossed heroic cuirasses modelled to imitate the nude torso.

House Auvêzera was a little old fashioned and few of its seniors were exactly disciples of the classic works of educational theory. Countess Henriëtte Hilda z’Auvêzera, the lady of House Auvêzera, had said once or twice: ‘As long as the child has learned to pay the acts of cult and can sit a horse, who cares if he knows arithmaticcy and the concert violin?’

As for the Baron Nalâryn himself, he was often busy flaying the wolves and stags which, according to the antique customs of the battue, he hunted to the sounds of trumpets and drums, or drilling with his fashionable regiment, the XXIII The Lord Speaker’s Own Hussars; had the war against the Knootian Marine not ended when it did, the XXIII would have been included in the first wave of a spectacular parachute operation to capture Hartstad Airport Schiphol. The Baron liked brandy and the tables and chasing foxes sometimes but skirts mostly, and he was often seen at the lighter theatres and music halls or at the racetracks and cabarets. He was in his early thirties, and some said his pale face was adorned with weakly-handsome good looks and others did not say so whatever they may have thought.

Baron Nalâryn was what they called blokeish, talking briskly in the bantering, half-serious way that comes naturally to men of the regiment and that Jean-Thómas lapsed into easily as well. Although the Baron was a little younger, and moved in different circles, Jean-Thómas got on well with him and enjoyed their male conversation, about Rugby football and which of their female colleagues they would like to sleep with. He was a decent enough man in his own way, Jean-Thómas supposed, and well enough liked in his set, which was that of the country squire and the landowning aristocrat, standing for extreme conservatism, support of military tradition and protectionist policies for agriculture. They were generally pro-Amestrian; and indeed the Baron Nalâryn was president of the Agamârian chapter of the Amestrian Xirniumite Friendship Association, counting amongst his friends and associates Louis Sauveur Puchot, formerly Amestria’s ambassador to the Resurgent Dream, now ambassador to Eternal Republic, and Octave Mouret, chief of the Amestrian North Investment Association. The Baron was known to the puissant bankers, board chairmen, bureaucratic plenipotentiaries and retired generals who met under the aegis of the Motor Yacht Club in Närväryn; secret guardians of their touchy, wilful, aging republic, they were contacts Jean-Thómas knew it would be useful to connect with on JoinedUp.

‘Okay, I’ve just sent Aubert a text,’ Jean-Thómas said.

‘I like Aubert, I think...’ said Lolabelle abstractly.

Baron Nalâryn certainly liked her.

‘Jean, would I look well with ringlets, do you think?’ she asked.

Lolabelle was a slim, giggling, vampy-looking blonde, and she teased the Baron Nalâryn to distraction with her constant pouting, eyelash fluttering, and tugging at his sleeve; she grinned at him all the time with a provocative parting of her lips. For the moment, however, he had sated himself, and was emerging, carrying half his clothes and tucking in the rest, from the upstairs room of an excellent Devras brothel. The house was tall but somewhat narrow and the stairs curved tightly so he must step back hard against the wall to make room for another man ascending, anonymous in the discreet light. His smart phone glowed in the gloom, after vibrating softly in his pocket and being clumsily fished out; the Baron read the text with his hand upon the bannister.

He had managed to make himself resplendent in full dress uniform, looking extremely formal in his tightly buckled belt, pistolled cross-strap and frogging, braided and corded in gold, with a cape-style greatcoat thrown over his shoulder, by the time he met with Cesare Calabrese — pointed out to the Baron Nalâryn by a secretary, who also introduced them.

‘Allow me to introduce Baron Nalâryn.’ The Baron clicked his heels and bowed stiffly.

‘Honoured to make your acquaintance, Chancellor.’ He gave the man a flashing smile and a firm but not unpleasantly firm handshake. ‘You’ll forgive my French, but it’s better than my English.’ His secretary translated smoothly, in any case. ‘I trust that her Majesty is enduring her well-wishers? Rest assured I will not permit the ambassador to intrude too greatly upon her important evening...’

Glancing behind him, the Baron Nalâryn saw that Lolabelle and Jean-Thómas had just arrived at the government offices; Lolabelle’s high heels clicked and clacked happily on the floor and he turned his head to see her flirty lace sandals and red-painted toes. She waved her fingers at him.

Cosima, the pretty little blonde he had been told to ask for at the brothel, had been standing near the bed sweating, tousled, pawed over, chewed up, though luminous through all that. She had asked the Baron if he wanted her like that or if she should wash; sticky though she was, he took her like that, there at the edge of the bed. But Lolabelle was exquisite and radiant on the surface, dressed completely in sheer white, red-lipped, polished and fresh.

‘Ah,’ said the Baron Nalâryn, ‘and here they are.’

Northrop-Grumman
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2003
Benevolent Dictatorship

Still Here!

Postby Northrop-Grumman » Fri Sep 27, 2013 5:02 am

Ah, a masquerade! For Jack and Siri, such events were not particularly common for them; neither had been invited to them all that frequently or, rather, folks simply didn’t hold them that often. Understandably, they were a pain in the ass to plan and pull off correctly. For Alak, the last one he attended had resulted in a disaster and the death of one of the highest positioned members in Roanian society. That sort of thing caused him to get run out and banned for life. Ideally, the same thing wouldn’t happen here and he honestly did not expect it to; there were much better relations with the Dominioners and they tended to be way more subtle in their actions. But that nagging thought was always at the back of his mind.

The four declined to dress up too much for this occasion. Jack had not the slightest bit of creativity to ever come up with anything that worked and he wasn’t all that inclined to half-ass it either, so he was out. Siri, on the other hand, abounded with creativity…but unfortunately that was the wrong sort. If you wanted something grotesque or terrifying than she was the right person for you. However, while blood might coordinate well with the Dominion’s colors, it still would not fit here at all. Alak, though, actually built an elaborate set-up last time – a hidden harness that had working mechanical spider arms and a helmet with sound and video feeds built in that resembled a spider’s head. Of course, the problem there was that getting too overly dressed wouldn’t be acceptable this time around. Times were vastly different and they were aware that blowing money left and right, or appearing that they were blowing money left and right, on these things would not endear them to the people back home struggling to make ends meet. So they maintained what they wore and mainly mingled around, trying to keep their heads down.

Roania
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Roania » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:32 pm

Around the Empress, the guards tightened their grip on their peacebound weapons, and soft, shocked flushes appeared on the cheeks of the maid. Even Selevar's expression suddenly tightened. Alessa smiled, though, and inclined her head just slightly. "Thank you, Imperatrice Naiya, but the pleasure is all ours. You were kind enough to come to my coronation, and I was hardly going to let such kindness go unrewarded." Her cheeks flushed, just a little. Her treatment of Naiya at her coronation had been... appalling was probably the best word for it. With a slightly embarrassed cough, she indicated the man at her side. "I don't believe you have had the opportunity to meet my husband?"

"General Selevar, your majesty. The Lady of Ten Thousand Years has told me that you are owed all courtesy. " Selevar, still carrying the infant, stepped forward and bowed. It was a highly intricate bow, that would indicate to a Roanian exactly where he believed Naiya stood in court protocol. To anyone else, it was just a slight inclination of the body, offset only by the need to keep the child comfortable. The servants and guards, however, immediately dropped to their knees and placed their foreheads on the ground in absolute prostration. It wasn't quite the full kowtow, nor did they knock their heads upon the ground. Those were reserved for the honored ancestors and the Present Empress Upon the Throne, May she Live for Ten Thousand Years. That eminent personage's lips tightened, just slightly, but she shook it off with a quick glare to Selevar. Her husband's lips crinkled into a smile, and he barked a command in High Roanian. In a matter of moments, all the guards and servants were off the ground.

"Thank you, Selevar. As you can see, my husband is carrying our child. I would do so myself, but I can barely move my arms in this hideous dress. Zlith, I can barely breathe."

"That is not a word for Empresses, Your Majesty." Selevar reproved her, his forehead wrinkling a little.

"And if you ever became one, Selevar, you can act how you like. Extend to me the same courtesy." Alessa nodded to Naiya, as if to say 'see what I have to deal with?' Despite Selevar's advice, the guards and servants seemed acquiescent to whatever and however Alessa wanted to speak, none of them showing the slightest reaction. After all, they weren't going to criticize or suggest anything to their sovereign lady. That's how horrible things could happen. "I'm sure you have all sorts of other people to meet with, and a less formal environment would doubtless suit myself and my husband," not proper common grammar, but definitely proper for the Roanians. "Therefore, in honor of your ascent to the throne of your ancestor..." Alessa's eyes twinkled, "Who I hope to meet sometime over the next week, and in recognition of your right to rule your people in the eyes of the Light, I had my finest craftsman at work." She turned to the side and spoke in clipped, quick High Roanian.

A maid approached Naiya, carrying a small wooden box. The box itself would have been valued in the empire at millions, both because of the wood and because of the elaborate silver filigree. Alessa took it, and stepped forward towards Naiya, lowering her voice. "It's not a practical gift, I admit, and I have something else for you as a personal one for later, but we thought it was a nice gesture." She opened the box and showed it to Naiya. Inside, in miniature, was a perfectly picked out scene of some mountain valley, with great snowy peaks in the background. In the foreground, crafted from some unknown material, was a fully realized falcon, wings spread around a nest, in which sat two eggs. Silver characters were worked into the side, and Alessa traced the meaning of each one. "Nes; the falcon. Well, bird of prey, but this is meant to be a falcon. Fel; To see. And Ri; the home. In our tongue, this would mean 'The Falcon is Ever Watchful Over Its Home.'"
Ten Thousand Years to the Lord of Ten Thousand Years! Ten Thousand Years to the Lord of Ten Thousand Years! Ten Thousand of Ten Thousand Years to the Lord of Ten Thousand Years!

The Dragon Throne has stood for Ten Thousand Years! For Ten Thousand Years, the Dragon Throne Stands! The Dragon Throne has stood, is standing, and shall stand for Ten Thousand Years, Ten Thousand Years, Ten Thousand of Ten Thousand Years!

New Naggoroth
Envoy

Founded: Nov 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby New Naggoroth » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:39 pm

The line for an audience with the newly minted Imperatrice hadn't lessened in the least since the twin girls had joined the small crowd that was patiently awaiting their turn to enter the imperial reception chamber. Minister Calabrese, or Lord Calabrese as Ellenith had called him, owing to old habits, had said that their meeting was arranged and expected when they spoke with him. With that little detail taken care of, they merely had to wait to be summoned before they could present their gifts; and once that important duty was attended to, it was time to party.

Though the two women who waited patiently along with the others were twins, one might be excused for not thinking so at first glance. Ellenith, the (if only by a matter of minutes) older of the pair was dressed in a tight, form-fitting sleeveless gown of lavender silk, with a high collar and a thin, if rather plunging neckline. Her long raven hair was done into a single loose ponytail, and hung nearly to her waist. Her sister couldn't have been more different; Scarlet wore the dark blue uniform of the Royal Naggorothi Navy, the only real colour being her brass house pin at her throat, the standard brass buttons, as well as the golden epaulettes framing her slight shoulders. Her golden hair was cut quite short, barely down to her pointed ears, and almost completely hidden beneath her peaked cap.

"So, do you think she'll like it?" Elly asked her sister in their native druhir, as she adjusted the outward opacity of the veil that hung across her eyes, increasing it to allow the Imperatrice to see her clearly, as if it was almost not there. "I mean, I'm not sure if she even likes horses never mind..."

"I'm sure she'll like him just fine," Scarlet cut her off, speaking in kind and smiling pleasantly as a one of the local dignitaries shuffled past with a friendly smile and nod. "It's an expensive gift, and as I understand it, his like hasn't been seen by most humans on earth for thousands of years."

"I knooow," Elly groaned impatiently, which was rather unusual for her. "But a sword too? How cliche are we going to be?"

"That's enough out of you, young woman," Scarlet teased, "We can't be too flashy, after all, lest we upstage our dear cousin, who I might remind you is in audience right now, and has the power to make ours, well, your life quite miserable should she choose to."

"Ugh, don't remind me," Ellenith sighed, lamenting her dear mother telling the young Empress that her daughter would be quite pleased to babysit for the royal couple whenever the need arouse. "Fine, then," her tone shifted, more resigned and, perhaps, a little rueful, "I just wish we had gone with my suggestion and of a q'orran hawk instead of a damned nauglir if we were dead set on giving her the gift of naggorothi wildlife. At least the hawk doesn't weigh three tons..."
New Naggoroth factbook

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

First Part of Catching Up

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Fri Sep 27, 2013 9:49 pm

Sunset

Both women tittered and commented back and forth in their native language as the Ambassador explained, their eyes going from him, to the enormous cat which they gently continued petting, though in Bianca’s case, with a bit more distance between him and her skirts. Cecelia was, as seemed usual, blissfully unaware of the shedding problem.

“Oh, it’s a pity he’ll be going to a zoo – not that it isn’t a perfectly wonderful place, mind,” said Bianca.

“I’m sure he would look much better at a grand estate with ample room to roam about – not that they don’t provide rather well for the animals there, of course,” said Cecelia, clearly envisioning her own palazzo with a new striped inhabitant.

They each accepted the cards, immediately comparing the patterns as he made the notation, and agreeing it was indeed, rather amazing. They were equally intrigued by the cards themselves.

“Marketing is one of those necessary evils,” Bianca replied, shrugging delicately. “Our sincere thanks, Ambassador. We do hope to see you again at some point during the night. And thank you as well for the unique opportunity to pet this magnificent creature.”

“Oh my yes,” Cecelia said, her voice mournful for a moment. “And do look us up, should you have second thoughts on where to house the poor dear. Papa would have a fit at first I’m sure, but … well, one never knows until one tries!” She finished brightly, standing up and only then noticing the tiger fur that more or less stood up with her, with a little gasp of shock and a murmured imprecation.

“It has been a pleasure, Signore. Come along, Celi. We should get ourselves cleaned up a bit, hmm?”

----- ----- ----- ----- -----

The Elsani City States

Late addition or not, Katherine’s ensemble attracts nods and smiles, and on occasion, compliments. The locals seem to be friendly enough, and the atmosphere is one of revelry and relaxation. There are singles in the area, as well as couples, and even larger groups, all looking for entertainment in various ways, in numerous sorts of costumes and colors from the simple mask and suit or dress, to the more elaborate combinations.

New Edom

Cesare greeted each of the guests with the appropriate consideration, though the bird presented an initial stir, given its size – no less, it’s more common name. Though with the assurances of the guests, they would be allowed to proceed, after a quick consultation with the new Imperatrice.

She rose to greet them, as she had all the others, taking in their colorful entourage, the beautiful costumes, and the enormous bird in a thoughtful manner.

“Your Majesty, Count Lalery, it is an honor to receive you. Thank you both for attending, and for staying to take part in the celebration. I do hope you’ve found your stay thus far satisfactory, and that you will return home with many happy memories of the Dominion.”

“If you don’t mind, this magnificent bird? I don’t think I’ve ever seen its like. Would you be so kind as to share something of its origins?” she asked politely, while silently keeping in contact with Aeturnus via their mental link.

Scolopendra

Their sheer size alone was enough to draw attention. But when paired with the equally impressive costumes, the ‘Pendran pairs drew eyes, and comments as they made their way through the crowd. One could not miss the regal way in which Sekhmet strode through, head and shoulders above most of the attendees, nor the professional gait of the knight. As entertaining as they both were, those Dominion natives with a sense of things could see that these were not the sorts to be trifled with. Just as well, the area was clear of the usual riffraff one had to contend with in the city proper.

The robot definitely drew the most smiles, especially amongst the younger crowd. No one else had the audacity to pull off such a comically retro approach. And again, the size, and the gait gave something away as to the form underneath it all. The minotaur was impressive to say the least. And as with most of their group, large. Such forms were not terribly uncommon in Devras. One might even say such forms carried their own weight in regards to common sense, and respect.

Still, no one was standoffish, or impolite. Perhaps the natives were even more polite on account. It was no secret that the former Imperatrice had several Large Friends in Interesting Places. And on a night like this, it never hurt to be extra careful not to cause offense.

Sakkra

“I hope to have the opportunity to do just that. It’s been a very long time since we’ve been out on the hunt. Even a nice, relaxing fishing trip with only seeing the not-so-wee beasties would be welcome. All smell aside,” Nathi replied, her smile remaining behind closed lips. “It has been a pleasure seeing you both – I’m sure Naiya will be glad to see you as well. Until later, then.”

She watches the pair depart, cocking her head slightly to one side. So much had changed … and yet for others, so much remained the same. With a quick smoothing of her dress, she continued on her way, her smile faded, and her expression once more of practiced neutrality. There was a back way in to where Naiya was holding her meetings, and she was going to go help as needed with the twins, after all. The moisture threatening to mar her makeup was blinked back quickly.

Solont

Naiya smiled more broadly as Kana spoke. It was good to see the young woman doing so well. The only thing that tugged at her was the inhibitor device. Yes, it was probably for the best. And truth … there was a part of her that was grateful for it being there. Some things simply could not become public knowledge. And though Kana herself wouldn’t go around talking … the less people who knew, the better. Still, the part of her who could relate to being repressed, caged in some respects, felt sorry for her. It was difficult when one was not free, on all levels, to be oneself.

She didn’t miss the looks between James and Talia, though she wasn’t sure just how far that situation might play and how much was simply friends being silly. It wasn’t her place in any case, and so she merely tucked it away for retrieval ‘in case of needing to know’, which she rather doubted she would need.

“Thank you,” she replied at Kana’s congratulations. “Things have a way of turning out, even if they aren’t the way you’d thought they might. I think I’d be lost entirely without my new little family. Now I understand what mama meant about children making a difference in how you view the world. I’m sure your mother feels much the same, Kana.”

“I hope you all have a wonderful time tonight, and I look forward to seeing what you’ve chosen to wear – at least after the unmasking!” She hugged the other young woman back in surprise, though not at all uncomfortably, patting her back gently with one hand and smiling genuinely. “I’m sure there will be an opportunity. They’ve had a very busy day.”

Xirnium

“Of course, Baron. The Imperatrice has insisted that any who wished to see herr would be allowed to. You, the ambassador, and the lovely lady, are quite welcome to proceed in. Just through the doors here,” Calabrese replied, gesturing to the double doors which opened as if on cue. “And straight in. If there is anything else I can to to be of service, please do not hesitate to ask.”

The interior of the building was heavy with age, as was the majority of Devras which made up the Old City, out here on the water. It was kept clean however, and in good repair, the varied treasures on display proudly, but not garishly. The guards along the short hallway leading to the receiving room said nothing, watching from behind their darkened visors, their black and red uniforms looking crisp and clean from helmets to boots.

On seeing the new arrivals, Naiya once more got to her feet, having been alerted to the identity of the latest guests over Spook.

“Baron Nalâryn, Ambassador Naglâthirel, Lady Xanthësynë,” she said, extending her hand in greeting. “Welcome to Devras. I hope your stay thus far has been a pleasant one? I would like to extend my sincere thanks for your attendance. I don’t think we’ve had any formal dealings with your people since a misunderstanding with the Kaeneians, unless my memory fails me. If so, I apologize.”

Northrop-Grumman

There were others who had chosen not to get overdressed, and had left masks off, so the two couples were not left like fish out of water. There were no demands, or rules to the ‘game’, other than the tradition of unmasking at midnight. And even then, nothing prevented anyone from doing so prior to that time.

As noted, the Dominion locals were relaxed, and enjoying themselves, and interested in seeing that others enjoyed themselves as well. Drinks were offered, directions if they were inclined to ask, and compliments in the direction of the two lovely ladies – though always in a complimentary and respectful manner – which occasionally included dark-eyed smiles, and a good dose of harmless flirting.

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Fri Sep 27, 2013 11:26 pm

"[i]Imperatrice, you are too kind," Mara said cheerfully. "Well, in many parts of the world these birds are called Terror Birds...we thought you'd be drowned in falcons one way or another but this is our largest native predator in New Edom. Our relative isolation, in spite of being part of a continent, has enabled several species from earlier Epochs to have survived. Most of our big predators on land are birds, and this is one of the largest.

"This is a Royal Griffon. It is one of the largest and heaviest--the only species larger is the Spectacled Griffon, but the only place we've found that we could keep one alive in captivity is in our own country's climate, so we brought this instead. We have three others, females, as well. We have keeper information for you. The males are prettier, as is often the case with birds, but they are all impressive. They are predatory and live in small flocks, building huge nests of mud and branches on the ground, giving birth usually to a single large egg. They eat meat; they will happily scavenge but they are good predators, hunting in teams, and they are intelligent too. We will advise your folk to be careful about that; they can be as clever as crows. Don't let their size and heaviness fool you; they can run at 20kmph at full speed.

"I felt that a Royal Griffon was suitable as a gift, for you see your House is known to be formidable--lovers of beauty and elegance, but not tolerating fools gladly, loving hospitality but not tolerating those who breach it, honourable but not antiquated, wise but not pretentious." Mara blushed. "And so in short, our gesture of congratulations through one of our most interesting native species."
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

The Fedral Union
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Fedral Union » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:45 am

The Garbage Men wrote:Time went all too quickly as the Desortés engaged in discussion and gambling with the Xriniumites, the green Elansi lady and the Dominion’s minister of finance. It was time to prepare for the Masquerade. An event that should prove to be interesting, hidden identities no one meaning to know who was who added a whole lot of new interacting potential. It also however added a whole lot of new problems as well but unfortunately there were still some things that needed to be addressed.

Firstly, a matter of business a representative from the Terran Alliance was here and they had expressed a desire to discuss a potential business arrangement. That was intriguing for the couple and had apparently earned their interest. Secondly, they still had to make time to go see the new Imperatrice and give her their gift. They were unsure but how it would be received but they knew the dilemma very well. It was hard to get a gift for someone who could easily get anything they wanted anyway.

So making their excuses and pardons from the group they went in search of this contact. Trevor’s offices had supplied an information package on their contact, a one Edwin Vasquez. Photo, and other pieces of ancillary but related and pertinent information that could assist the couple in their negotiations.

Going for a wander around the piazza looking for their target they spotted him apparently annoying a group of New Edomites trying to go about their dinner.

“Apologies if we’re interrupting, Count Lalery and Lady Mara.” Announced Dominique as they both approached the small gaggle.

Trevor continued “but we have business to discuss with your friend here. Edwin Vasquez? I’m Trevor Desorté, CEO and owner of The Garbage Men. This is my wife, Dominique. My office told me that you called and had an arrangement you wanted to discuss. If you would walk along with us we may start the process to formalise such an arrangement, please.”

Trevor raised his arm directing his new friend down along the piazza giving them the opportunity to walk and talk. The vast amount of people and the sheer vibrancy caused some headaches but it was also so easy to get lost in amongst the crowd and that supplied a significant degree anonymity in itself.

Once they had started walking it was Dominique who started talking first. “How may we, and The Garbage Men, help you Mr. Vasquez.

New Edom wrote:The Broken Wing: Fedral Union

Mara and Count Lalery's reactions were simultaneous. Mara's eyes widened and she put her glass down; Lalery immediately said aloud, "It's Christmas in July--Christmas in July!" which was the code for "We have a crazy person on our hands" for the sake of the RPS who were never really far away. After all, why would he be talking to them out of the blue like this, interrupting their meal, if he hadn't the slightest notion of who Mara was and had no specific intention of speaking to her? And all this talk about planets and junk--he just had to be crazy.

Mara however clapped her hands and said, "Okay...seriously...did Enoch put you up to this? Didn't I see you at that party at the Tubal-Cains' place? It's not bad but really, it's not that funny. Is Enoch here? It would be just like him, and he totally loves masquerade balls." in fact she was actually looking around to see if her party loving cousin was lurking around someplace.

Mara had a vague sense of partying on Mars one time, but it seemed so weird and she'd ended up getting so drunk she finally put it down it being a club she couldn't locate in her mind that was called Mars, and she vaguely knew she'd met Tia Fitzsimmons there. The rest of the details she was fuzzy on apart from a pool party and a really cute guy whose name she couldn't remember, making out in a boat house or something. Or had that been her 19th birthday party?

Edwin merely raised brow, he had no idea who this Enoch was first off, second off he was confused at the terminology they had used, this caused him clear his throat, though he didn't visibly make any gestures to signify he was starting to think these people were a bit mad themselves. He placed a hand on his chin and with a plain and calm tone of voice pointed out.

“I assure you I do not know of this.. Enoch. This is the first time I've even seen anyone from your people, and I have no idea what you are talking about. At any rate Judging by your reaction you think this is some kind of gag? Well let me underline my assurance that this is not, in furtherance if it was joke how did one like myself have the ability to attended the crowning of this new leader, let alone pass through security. It was quite a fascinating ceremony wouldn't you say?”

Edwin took out a small ultra thin GDA device with a black casing, he began to tap on the screen inserting some notes and looking at his itinerary, Edwin had a meeting to attend in a little bit. Raising the Device he aimed it at a crowd of people and it took a holograph. The image popped up in a small three dimensional hologram, fascinatingly enough it had captured all three dimensions displaying them as if one could actually touch them. He smiled the high quality image flicking off , after a split second of looking at his device again he slid it in to his blazer jacket and looked over the two he was conversing with.

“Its not every day an event happens like this, so I'm rather honored to be here to witness such and event, I want to keep some personal mementos of this moment, at least to show the folks back home.”

He folded his hand behind him a smile still clearly present on his face, he never let any part of his professionalism slip. Even though in his mind he was wondering what kind of jargon the others had been speaking in, but he let that go thinking it wasn't important and besides it was hardly offensive, just a little odd. He hardly knew these weren't space fairing people, after all coming here with minimal intelligence and only a few people to meet so far on his itinerary it was unlikely he would know about every one.

The Talk

As the two representatives from TGM approached and greeted them Edwin looked over, he was a bit surprised at first but politely bowed and gave a flashy smile that receded in to a normal expression. He didn't expect to see them so early, but he figured the timing must have been off as nothing was perfect. Nonetheless he said to them holding out a firm hand for a shake.

“Ah, hello its good to see you two. Mr and Mrs. Desorté its a pleasure to meet your acquaintances. I assume you two received my request and message? If you have there is a few things to talk about, it may involve a long term contract..”

His eyes averted their gaze from the door way to the TGM officers, he followed them out walking toward the door. Now he was getting some place and making sure work was handled, this made him a bit more relaxed to know things started falling in to place. He added to his statement in a rather polite and collective way. “Oh, are you looking forward to the Masquerade, I've personally never attended one I figure it should be fun eh?”

Edwin walked along side the two representatives, his eyes averting around to take in the scenery then they shifted to look at the two TGM representatives. He began to speak rather cordially. “Well, my government has instructed me, to seek your companies services for a contract we've issued. The premise is simple, there are quite a bit of star systems out there and many unexplored, its no surprise so we've come up with a plan to help us explore new systems and discover new species in the process. This contract will award the issued party with financial compensation to be determined at a later date for every system discovered, multiplied by 1.5 if its inhabited. This will be a long term contract, many years and may be extended if both parties can agree on terms, and it would require a few protocols to be followed. Such as minimizing first contact with pre Faster than light civilizations if possible, notifying us of any possible threats, and of any situations involving forced servitude and trafficking, navigation hazards and the rest is in the contract. At any rate you can feel free to propose any amendments or any changes to the amount of funding your company will receive and it will be reviewed. Oh and your vessels may defend themselves if they came under attack. All that aside, I do hope you accept our offer after all space is too big for anyone alone to explore. I'll bring up the contract.”

Edwin took out his ultra thin black device again, held it in his hand and tapped upon its surface. With a flicker a holographic cube came up containing the text to the contract as well as any forms there may have been for changes. He wanted to upload it to the TGM data base to give them a copy to sign or review more closely. He nodded to the two and stated as they walked along.

“Well here it is, let me.. Upload it to your devices and data bases that way everything can be set and ready.”

He could feel the wind in his hair the warmth and the fresh air, he breathed in a bit relaxing but still keeping his professional demeanor. He couldn't wait for the activities later in the evening having never been to such a thing he wondered what it would be like. He was curious and justifiably so , Terrans while sharing a lot of old earth culture were removed from some of the things on the planet. It wasn't surprising being so far away from the system in general, they just had diverged so many years ago, yet a lot of traditions went on as they had been engrained and settled in to the culture. Even as they absorbed other cultures, anthromorphs, alines, dinosaurs in the case of Danites, a lot of their own culture had spread, at the same time culture from those absorbed worlds had spread to them just as thoroughly. They even gained refugees from another power that settled upon their worlds adding yet another to the cauldron of races and AI's and everything that had to come with a well developed sophisticated society.
Last edited by The Fedral Union on Mon Sep 30, 2013 8:41 pm, edited 4 times in total.
[09:07.53] <Estainia> ... Nuclear handgrenades have one end result. Everybody dies. For the M.F Republic, I guess
Member of the Galactic Economic and Security Organization
[REDACTED BY MOD]

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:23 am

Roania

Oops …

Nathicana had never been a respecter of persons, though she had an ample understanding and appreciation of diplomacy, tact, and outright manipulation. She’d passed on all of that to her children, who had adopted the principles as they saw fit. Naiya, with her expanded understanding, knew that when it came down to it, people really were simply people, with titles, and influence, and power that at times were simply acts of randomness, and others, hard-fought and won. Not everyone felt the same way, and the Roanians were no exception. They had a unique hierarchy and set of societal rules, that most Dominion natives had a difficult time grasping. Oh, they were used to intrigue and intricacies, but the Roanian mind was a labyrinth even the most devious tended to skirt around if possible.

Alessa had been trying to change some of that. And whatever else might be the case, Naiya respected her for her attempts, and had seen firsthand her own circuitous efforts, misdirections, and manipulations to take a difficult position and make it work for her. There was much more to this woman than met the eye. She wondered idly how many realized that.

The young woman smiled warmly, just starting to extend her hand in greeting to the man Alessa had chosen to stand at her side, when he made his elaborate greeting. Her heart nearly leapt into her throat over the baby, though it was clear he was being very careful. Mother’s instinct, that. And her hands inadvertently twitched at the thought of that little bundle slipping.

The reaction of the entourage made her blink – nothing so demonstrative was ever done in the Dominion after all, and she’d never had people prostrate themselves like that for her. The wordless interchange between the Imperial couple was not missed. Oh, he’d pay for that later, Naiya thought with a private smile.

“It is a pleasure, General. I can see why you chose him, Empress. A good man, unless I miss my guess entirely. As for the dress, I understand – it’s always the way with these things, isn’t it? Truth be known, I’m most comfortable in a tank top and yoga pants or the like, going about barefoot. You look absolutely stunning though, as always. Of course if there is anything I can offer in the way of dresses, I would be more than happy to help? In the interest of comfort, of course,” Naiya said in all seriousness, though her smile was ever so slightly mischievous. Pomp and protocol was one thing. Torment on account of it, well … that they could probably do without.

“And if I may be so bold, your son,” she added. “He’s a beautiful baby. I would love to have you all over to my house at your convenience, once the celebration is over. We could all relax, and be comfortable, and not have to worry about who ought to do or say what, and when. And you could meet my own consort properly, and see my sons as well. ”

As Naiya accepted the gift, she took a moment to appreciate the box itself, running her fingers delicately over its sides, tracing the patterns without seeing them as she gazed on the contents.

“Oh my god, it’s beautiful,” she said softly. “Molto bene grazie, Empress, General. And the meaning as well … thank you. I hope I will be able to do just that.”

New Naggoroth

The wait wasn’t long, and soon Naiya was getting to her feet to meet the latest well-wishers. These two were no strangers, and it was a pleasure to see them both again. It was an interesting family, and an interesting pairing overall. Nathicana had told her about how Aeselle and Casir had met, and how absolutely adorable the two girls had been even then. She’d been impressed every time she’d met the various family members. And it had been heartwarming to see the love between them.

Good people, had been the overall impression. And nothing since had changed her mind, or her mother’s on that point. She hoped it would remain so, given the longevity of their races. It was likely they would be around for quite some time. A small comfort, knowing that not everything and everyone would eventually fade.

“Welcome back to Devras,” Naiya said warmly. “I hope your trip was pleasant enough? You two look lovely. I swear, your mother must be so proud. And how is your brother doing? Your mother, and Casir? I’m sure mama would have loved to see them both as well.”

New Edom

“Impressive barely begins to describe it,” Naiya said in all honesty. Having seen firsthand some of the megafauna in the Freestian outback, she had an inkling of large predatory animals, and a healthy respect for them. This one might not be nearly so large, but it was clearly not to be taken for granted on account of it’s beauty. No doubt that was the last mistake some folks had made on their discovery.

“It just so happens that we have some beautiful, protected territories that would likely be well suited to them, so we wouldn’t have to keep them in too close of quarters, while still making them available for others to observe, and appreciate,” she commented thoughtfully, thinking primarily of the vast territories on the Ring, where they already had a few non-native critters flourishing. “We’ll consult your information first, of course. I’d want to make sure they were well provided for.”

“A very thoughtful, and beautiful gift, your Majesty,” she concluded, smiling warmly. Her House? Her mother, more like. Nathicana had certainly earned a reputation for herself, her country, and set an expectation for her heirs. It would be interesting to see how people reacted to the similarities, and differences that would no doubt typify her own rule. “And my sincere thanks for the thought put into it, and your generous compliments. I only hope our hospitality will not be lacking during your stay. Please, if there is anything at all you need, do not hesitate to ask. We’ll do our best to see to your comfort.”

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

During the Masquerade Proper ...

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:34 am

Another Pair of Revelers

The outfit was more functional than a number of those she’d seen so far over the course of the day, and granted, it had been done so on purpose. The nods to traditional finery were limited to the fine half-cloak and details, picked out in silver for the most part. Functional as well were the weapons tucked into the belt, the boots, and a pair of leather straps - just to be on the safe side. Greys and blacks were the predominant colors, with the exception being the brilliant red sash wrapped around her waist, trailing along her left side.

The figure next to her towered a full head above her, standing in regal purple with golden edges edged into swirling patterns, right in the centre at the back was a black cross of the Templar Order. The cloak itself swept down the back of the costume and flowed slightly. The armour beneath was also picked out in purple, gold and black. The weapons were varied, a crossed bandoliers had a pair of pistols stuffed into them, with the wrists bearing a thick pair of leather glaives which again bore the black Templar symbol on them. With a flick of his wrists the hidden blades slid out with a clack before shooting back in with the spring.

Of course they weren’t real, they were props made of a simple rubber which had been carefully painted to look like they were metal. The hood completed it with a mask that had been painted with gold and purple designs that, when looked at, seemed to move and swirl. The bandana was pulled up to the man’s nose and was a single purple tone.

She smiled at the tall man from behind her half mask. “You look rather … authoritative,” the woman teased, flipping her cloak back over her shoulder. “I don’t suppose you’re up for a bit of a chase?”

The cloth pulled in a certain way, showing that he was smiling underneath and she knew there was a spark of amusement in his eyes in spite of the mask. “I think a chase would be nice. Depends on what I’d win should I catch you.”

“I was thinking we would both win, whatever the outcome,” she answered mischievously, stepping carefully to the side, keeping her eyes on him. “We’ll be expected at the dance at some point. How about …”

Scanning the area from their position atop the roof of the Doge’s Palace, she pointed out the back corner of the building where the ball was getting under way. “Window, back side, away from the Piazza. First one in? Or shall we simply make it ‘tag’?”

“First one in, I think.” The cloth across his face twitched some more. “Of course I could just cheat…” He stretched his arms a little and then turned to face her. “Mind, that would be less fun.”

“You cheat, and so help me,” she replied, stepping up to go as close as nose-to-nose as was possible for them, raising herself up to her full unimpressive height. She pointed one gloved finger at him imperiously. “I’ll think of … something.”

She changed tactics quickly, reaching up and giving his hood a firm tug even as she jumped back, then spun on her heel and took off at a run along the outer roof line, away from the lit Piazza. “First in!” she called back over her shoulder.

He shook his head and pulled the hood back slightly before taking off at a dead sprint, jumping clear over some of the more decorative parts of the roofing on the buildings here, the old city was always more enjoyable than the new in his mind. It reminded him of various places he himself had visited when his life had been more a constant drum beat of war, a staccato constant noise of screaming and gunfire. Instead here he was, solid, able to follow, able to influence events and…

He slipped right near the edge and dropped several feet down the side of the building before catching himself on a window-ledge and recovering. He gritted his teeth and muttered at himself for reminiscing when he should have been concentrating, his own clothing was not exactly easy to wear, even when compared to his own clothing.

How the hell these so-called historical figures managed this centuries ago puzzled him. He pulled himself up onto a balcony before shaking his head, glancing to where she was, and then quickly moving back up the side of the building to rejoin the chase.

The cooling air felt fresh on her chin and neck, her feet finding firmer purchase on the curved red tiles lining the roofs. She’d had the forethought to ensure the boots were up to the task, remembering all too well the times she’d had mishaps in younger adventures throughout the city.
She could sense his position without having to look, still behind but not out of the race. She slid across one rounded outcropping covering a roof line window, stumbling slightly as she gained her feet on the other side with a muttered curse. Too many cappuccinos, not enough training of late.

A bound over the sloped roof and sliding down the tiles followed by a more accurate jump across to the next building allowed the man to start closing the gap. It was all part of his being after all, so after the moment where he was daydreaming or even reminiscing, he was now focused once again on doing what needed to be done at that moment. He leapt to the top of a chimney and used that to jump again, landing hard but just on the edge. He grunted as he pulled himself up.

“Spite,” she hissed, regaining her pace after several steps. It has cost her precious moments she couldn’t afford. Not against him, at least. They were nearing their destination. At the rate his longer legs were crossing the roof line, it was going to be a tussle to be the first in. Her mind raced with possible solutions.

Of course, being in the Dominion meant one could… bend rules as opposed to break them, and while he was again jumping around and over there were always options available. He slid down a set of tiles again before breaking into a full blown run across the smooth terracotta tiles of the building.

His footsteps were close behind now. She could nearly feel the heat radiating from his body, hear his breath. The edge of the roof was coming up fast, and she hadn’t yet slowed. A quick estimate of distance, and she slid to a stop.

Or at least, she tried to. Her arms windmilled as she attempted to keep her balance, one flung back further behind as her lead foot slipped off the tiled edge.

Panic. Danger. Response. He was there in a half second catching her up, his arm stretched out in front of him as he grasped her hand, his feet bracing on the tiles with the boots grinding on the surface of the terracotta. She gripped his hand tightly, twisting her body around and scrabbling to brace her feet against the building just under the eaves.

Slowly, she edged her way down, her free hand gripping the edge of the roof. Once her feet found purchase on the windowsill, she locked eyes with him, and nodded briefly.

He held her hand tightly as his eyes locked with hers, nodding again and then tilting his head slightly he shifted his feet again slightly to hold her in place. Once she was stable, she gently released his hand, moving it down to join the other in gripping the edge of the roof. She kept her eyes on his, completely trusting … and winked as she dropped down, and swung into the room below with a quick shift of weight.

He remained there stood on the rooftop for a couple of seconds, and blinked. He straightened up and then looked at the edge where she had been. He bent his head down and then jumped from his spot on the roof, grabbing the edge as he swung himself down and through the open window. He pulled the cover down from his face.

“You cheated.” He said simply, looking to her.

“You let me.” She smiled up at him crookedly, her hip cocked to one side.

He folded his arms and looked at her, head tilted slightly to one side. “Cheated.” He repeated simply.

Her smile only increased as she stretched up on the toes of her boots, and used his sturdy shoulders to help her reach up to kiss him softly. “Dominion, dear.”

He chuckled a little as his hands slid around her middle. “Bend, not break. Fine.” He murmured before kissing her again. “Quite imaginative.”

“I knew you’d never let me fall, tessoro. There wasn’t much of a risk in trying,” she replied, her hands slipping down to idly trace over his chest. “Shall we go join the party in progress? If nothing else, a drink after that little jaunt might not be amiss.”

“I quite agree, shall we then?” He smiled before slipping his arm into hers. She nodded, and let him lead the way past the security checkpoints who had been alerted via the Spook network, and down to the stairway leading into the ballroom proper.

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

One Last Group ...

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:05 am

A curious group made its way through the Piazza towards the dance hall. All of varying heights and appearances, but clearly accustomed to one another’s company.

“You look absolutely ravishing my dear,” said a fox-masked man to a black-haired woman wearing an elaborate stylized raven mask and a pretty but modest black dress.

“And you look very … colorful,” Raven replied, nodding to his bright red suit coat, accented in gold and trimmed in white fur. It was perhaps reminiscent of the hunting outfits of other countries, but more elaborate as the situation demanded.

“Yes well, I couldn’t possibly be seen as trying to hide in a corner somewhere, keeping to myself as our fearless leader seems intent on,” he replied, waving casually at another man, wearing a traditional black kung fu uniform and a black wolf mask adorned in autumn leaves.

“Some of us don’t require the additional flash to bolster our natural presence,” Wolf answered archly, drawing chuckles from the rest of the group, Fox included.

“Perhaps, then one is this behemoth’s excuse?” Fox continued, gesturing grandly at the tallest of their group, stalking along in a full black dragon mask, and simple brocade suit, all in the same somber tones.

“I like dragons,” came the simple reply, broad shoulders shrugging slightly.

“It looks good on you.” An inappropriately short Valkyrie said to Dragon, masked and dressed in what could be described as the ‘steampunk’ style. Her thick auburn hair was done in braids, accented with little brass clips and adornments, and she walked with a very confident gait, in spite of her status as shortest.

“And your creative costume compliments you as well, short and sassy,” teased an Anubis-masked gentleman, wearing a gold-embroidered silk suit and tie. His dirty blonde hair was worn with its usual carelessness that seemed to always look good on him, regardless. “Yes, yes, I know, you’ll kill me later. For now, let’s enjoy the time off, yes?”

Valkyrie sniffed and waved a hand dismissively. “Fine, fine. We’ll leave the killing until later. So long as it’s clear you’re owed a beating. In the meantime, mix and mingle, my friends. And you – don’t get into more trouble than you can pull yourself out of, capisco?”

The diminutive woman poked a finger emphatically at Fox, who raised his hands in a placating manner. “Si, si mio dea. Naturalmente.”

The group laughed good-naturedly, making their short-term farewells as they split up and approached the last several yards to their destination alone, taking different angles and paces, taking in the other attendees with professional interest.
Last edited by Dread Lady Nathicana on Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:25 am, edited 1 time in total.

Midlonia
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 24, 2003
Ex-Nation

Postby Midlonia » Sat Sep 28, 2013 10:37 am

Greater Kingdom Embassy, Devras

The leather creaked slightly as the strap was adjusted again. The polished bronze shone slightly and the figure checked the helmet before gracefully placing it on their head. The crest, striped yellow and black felt bristly and the woman ran her hand through it with a smile. She picked up the shield and put her arm through the straps.

“Ok, fine, going with the balsa wood shield was a good idea.” She admitted as she checked the weight.

The other figure was dressed the same as her, only the bottom half of his face was covered by a snarling mask, with bared wolf-like teeth that ended in a wolf’s snout. He chuckled.

“It’s not so much the weight as where to put it when you’re trying to have a drink after all.”

“These are very nice costumes.” She said with a nod to the other. “Not so sure about the mask though…”

“Without it I am a dead give away and you know it.” The male replied as he too buckled on his shield, it bore a Tribal-like symbol of the constellation Taurus.

“Well, I’m sure someone has a dye kit in here somewhere…”

“Ooooh, no. No way, those silly days are over. I won, remember?”

“You mean I won dear…” The woman replied, the slightest of joking threat in her voice.

“Of course.” The man replied with a grin. “Totally what I meant.”

Tables

“Black 32!” Bagnall said with a grin as he moved a small stack of chips on the roulette table. “Not like the taxpayer doesn’t think I don’t waste it anyway.”

Hillcrest shook his head slightly and picked his whiskey up. He had ensured the icecubes were large which went into it. Doing it properly after all. Surprisingly it was a brand from Drona, something Hillcrest had noted was a lot smoother than he’d expected. Not quite as smooth as some Porphyrian whiskey he’d sampled over the years admittedly, but still.

The Kouralian princess was certainly an interesting woman. Especially as her clothing was carefully sculpted to be anything but a princess. The Kouralians were not overtly martial, far from it by all initial accounts that Hillcrest had gleamed. Indeed their culture was verging on Midlonic, comparable to the Garvin Isles in temperature (or even Dominion) yet somehow the Midlonians and Freethinkers had not encountered them until quite recently. The Commonwealth especially had made major inroads to Kouralia thanks to Fortuna.

Something perhaps for the Greater Kingdom to consider in and of itself. Expansion continued to be slow but there was no real desire to find yet more places to defend. Gaining a local ally however… would be something to consider.
Last edited by Midlonia on Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Greater Kingdom, resurgent.

A Consolidated History of Midlonia

The Freethinkers
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 01, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Freethinkers » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:21 am

Lower decks, the Midlonic

Water poured from the showerhead, and Clodius leant his head forward, warm water a welcome distraction from the previous exertion in the Ghoul standard gym that the Midlonic’s working decks boasted. Trails of liquid dribbled down his body, muscle and sinew that now flared in spectacular fashion, powerful and terrifying in both their toned intent and sheer potential, served like rapids as the water made its way down.
Foam blossomed copiously, and was spread across that herculean frame, the mirrored surfaces, polished with military perfection, reflected Clodius’ own perfection, if one was being complementary. Older than he had been perhaps, face tendered by lines of maturity and weathered from the visage of youth, his body had seemed almost to grow in response over the last few months, the physical labour of his new occupation, tempered as well by a darkening of his skin under the harsh Freestian sun, had left him as a colossus, his favourable physiology notwithstanding. His arms, thick as trees, shoulders the size of boulders, sized almost to allow someone to lose their fingers in trying to encircle them. Veins as thick as fingers ran across the various, compacted knots of his quadriceps, and across his chest a scarred and tattooed plateau of muscle formed what would in his true draconic might power a pair wings that would rival a decent business jet.

Here and now, they just seemed to measure against the other clusters of muscles flesh that drove his physical supremacy. There was no softness, no suppleness here, no simple model’s tone nore bodybuilder’s specialisation. Fast as well as strong, his legs, giant toned banks that splayed into almost arching, almost talon like feet completed that animalistic impression of him that Clodius was glad to convey, the essence of something primeval and brutal and animal and material, a god of the physical and strength and endurance. The water splashed at his feat, accompanied at last by a gentle growl as the beauty of the ambient heat to a poikilotherm made itself known.

He turned the water off, and took a step back out of the cubicle. A row basically for Midlonian military Ghoulish types, the facilities would normally dwarf him, but somehow they seemed to suit him perfectly. He shifted across the floor, heavy feet pounding the painted steel. Three floors above, some hapless steward readying for his next duty cut himself shaving as the confident vampire sent thunderous waves through the nearest bulkheads. The man who greeted him at the mirror on the sinks seemed a world away from the Lord of Navarrok, as he had once stood so long ago. The effects of his gym training still pulsated along the lines of his core, and belying a little self-confidence, and after looking around briefly, he watched himself flex, just once, in that mirror. The general impression was of a well-built, mediterranean type trying to snuggle loaves of bread under each arm and somehow actually looking the part.

“Stop being a twat mate.” The Mercian accent and red hair broke through the gun show lite like a knife. Whatever their faults, your average Midlonian did not broker bullshit. “And put a fucking towel on. Thats fucking unhygienic.”

Clodius turned and stared at the new arrival, pale and plump, who stared right on back, before slinging his own towel on the rail and getting himself into the shower. The vampire shook his head, ignoring the sailor or stoker or whatever he was down here, though he did don the towel, in retrospect possibly a few inches too small but just about preserving modesty. Lacking the need for a shave or moisturiser, there was a simple task with the longer, black metallic locks, a semi-ruffled, light appearance, designed to shift slightly in the air, nothing too complex, but looking good. He gave the still sore muscles on his arms a quick self massage, powerful fingers rubbing the loaves in mimicry of a proper job. A good backrub would go amiss right now, but that would have to wait till later.

He had been able to get a good workout thanks to the Midlonian’s royals’ excessiveness, so he had Henry and Sarah to thank for that. The sheer vast gulf of the vessel provided for a lot of home comforts, and Clodius had already availed himself of various hobbies in the gargantuan interior. Of course, as a guest, he perhaps wasn't to be expected to be found ‘down here’, but then there was something refreshingly honest about the decor in this part of the ship that drew Clodius to semi-inhabiting here when he was aboard. He had been aboard a lot of Royal yachts, of course, for after all he had been a servant of many Midlonian monarchs, from Godwin’s heirs to...well, today, in a way.

As a military vessel, first and foremost, this part of the Midlonic was dressed the part. Though the Royals rarely saw it (it was, after all, a long way down), there was, below an entire deck sectioned off entirely with sound reduction dampening, the machinery and working spaces of the ship, and down here the bulk of the crew, the maritime crew, did their thing, the lofty business of government rule occurring literally far above their heads.

The Svards were not bad employers. There was plenty of free time to enjoy and foreign ports to look after, and the pay packets were swollen with bonus’ and very generous expense account. If you didn't mind making every surface sparkle, then you were in luck. Leaving the Mercian in the shower, singing badly and paying too much attention to his crotch, Clodius departed into the corridor, all grey and pipework and florescent lighting. Swinging left down to the changing rooms for the gym, he found himself having to offer a salute to a passing leading rate (and being returned it, dog tags still shone on vampire neck) before making it high and dry to the lockers.

Soon semi dressed, he made his way back up to his cabin. This was in the nice part of the ship, though sharing the elevator with a fully spruced up to the nines bridge officer, who in her dress uniform formed pretty much the opposite of the PT kit clad vampire. He smiled at her. She offered something similar back, and he grinned at himself when she fell half a second behind him as they left the elevator on his particular floor.

Lacking many guests, Clodius had a pick of rooms, though he and his fellow vampire had bunked up close-ish together for convenience, and it was on her now that he called in. Lacking a major position now in any government, the great former Lord was here as Semphyra’s plus one. Out of place in the earlier greetings (though he might have gone if someone else was still in power), he was looking now to costuming up and escorting, at least for a while, his once great lieutenant and now successor.

Semphyra Dyriad. The greatest of her breed. Clo’s hand went up to knock on the exquisite oak paneling of her stateroom, but something inside stoked his hearing, and he pressed his ear against the door.

“...you deserve a mansion, my Lord, you too, you can have the best of life, With all this I'll give you” Oh god. “A pure love that gold can't buy, if you take a chance....”

Clodius undid the door as quietly as possible and slid in. He stopped in glorius abandon as he spotted his companion.”

“I wanna be the only one to hold you, protect you from the rain!” She even had an old beer bottle as a microphone, the song on full blast, and was dancing around in bright pink (and surprisingly decent) underwear.

“I wanna be the only one to soothe you, erase all the pain!” She caught sight of him, and carried on within a beat, with only a raised eyebrow from Clodius in response to her response.

“I wanna be the only one to love you, love you.” She started for the crescendo. Clo stepped in and closed the door.

“I wanna be the only one the only one yeah...” Semphyra stopped, looking almost disappointed. She greeted her old hunting and killing partner in a ridiculously inappropriate manner, namely jumping on him and nuzzling him before she clambered back off and offered a bow. “Clo! You old fucker, how you been? Didnt think you’d be turning up....”

“Relax...” The giant offered, bare arms semi twitching. He once knew Semphyra and Semphero, a figure who could physically have rivalled him. Needless to say that the very, very decently proportioned and skimpily dressed woman bouncing around in front of him made Clodius feel somewhat confused and slightly uncomfortably. Tellingly, though, both worse similar style tags. Brotherhood, (or vampirehood, anyway), held strong. “Good to see you again. Been too long.”

“Been too long indeed you old sod. How you been? Beer?” Semph bent down and Clodius looked away, not for modesty’s sake but to try and not get any awkward twinges. He returned as the now upright Semphyra offered him a bottle of some Midlonian sourced FPA. It was good brew.

“Still in the isles, mate, still doing up old castles and the like.” Clodius showed off a new looking set of scars on his left arm. Semphyra had a feel and completely reflexively the older vampire flexed a bit. Her smile in response didn't help either.

“You’re looking good old man. Whatever the regime is, its working.”

“Thanks.” Clodius’ smile had turned slightly nervy. “You’re um...you’re looking...”

“Hot as fuck.” She offered brightly, turning away. “I’m glad you’re here, anyway, I need your...well, a man’s advice and you vaguely pass as one. Plus everyone else gets really awkward when I ask this...”

“Ask what?” Clodius raised an eyebrow as Semphyra grabbed a far-too-small robe and pushed past and through the door, wrapping the garment around her. He closed his eyes and followed. “This better not be anything weird.” He called after her.

The gym facilities on the upper decks were less well designed, but Semphyra was looking fro the studio for a different reason. Seeing the heightened space as he crossed the threshold, Clodius semi-guessed whatever it was would involve.

“Right,” the robe dropped, along with a brief pink flash of discarded underwear. “What do you think?”

Clodius’ eyes followed down inadvertently, before moving straight up again. “What the larking fuck is...”

“Look, I’m gonna adjust, I think, I mean, what should I improve, I mean...” Semphyra squeezed her breasts together slightly. “Bigger, smaller?”

“I don't....even....” She turned around.

“And this.” She smacked her own butt. “Bit bigger, smaller, whats the local preference, you reckon?”

“I don't....oh for fucks sake.” Clodius almost begged, and kept his eye level up. Nudity was one thing, pretty woman also fine, but this just made him feel really, really confused.

“Fat lot of good you are!” Semphyra mockingly yelled, with a grin. She checked herself out in the mirrored wall that ran down one side. Well, butt bigger, tits smaller, one sec.”

Vampiric transformations were spectacular in the Freestian sense, and with a roar or air and light Semphyra unfurled into something huge and magnificent, vaguely lizard like, mixed with the classical image of dragons, she rose the full two storey height of the studio with aplomb. Massive, vaguely reptilian, and suddenly looking her age far more, she roared in moderately frustration as her wings were clipped by the limitation of the roof.

Clodius could at least drop his gaze now, though winced at the bill for reflooring the place. “Well, um, you kept in shape, I’ll give you that.” He offered with a sincere if unsure smile. That was a throaty chuckle in response. Almost immediately, Semphyra flashed back down, the transformation quicker, though in its own way just as spectacular.

“Well how about now.” The transformation tweaking of appearance had worked. Clodius forced himself to look just to confirm properly and get back out of there. Hair wild, body toned, Semphyra hit many Freestian ideals of beauty, not just feminine softness but actual fitness to fight and confidence rather demurity in pose and action. Then the awkwardness flashed back again, namely as over his should two Midlonian stewards walked in to check the commotion. They looked at him, then Semphyra, who stared back, hands on hips. The stewards looked back at Clodius, back at Semphyra for a few seconds, and then left without a word. Brilliant.

“You look good. Now can you stop making this any more awkward and go get changed?”

“Right, fine.” She retrieved her robe and both returned to her quarters, though Clodius got told to go and dress. He had to wonder what the point of that whole show was, whether it was a deliberate act to annoy him, some genuine insecurity (hah!) or some other reason. If it was genuine flirting he was going to put a stop to that right now. Insecurity, given it was Semphyra, who had the self confidence of a Dominion mafiosos’ son, was definitely wrong. Sephyra had the big advantage of maintaining her old habits and appetites and tastes from before, which meant the nicest clothes, a shitton of both the same and opposite sex, and everything else carnal beasts enjoyed. Clodius had been that once, something crass and carnal made manifest. A long time ago it seemed.

He returned dressed, his outfit a spectacular Wesnomic number (a style essentially similar to the ancient greeks, geometric and classical), spartiate and awesome, his masque an array of gold that fitted to a crowning wreath. He was to be a god, a combination of the various dieties of love, war, the sea and wine. Which meant, in practise, very little. Crafted, genuine, and heavy leg guard rode up his legs, and a tunic that hung off one shoulder and left legs, arms and a fair portion of his torso bare, what remained was hidden by sheets of white material that reached down in part to his calves but otherwise pulled back according. Gauntlets of gold and a similar shield hung on one arm, the twenty odd kilos of weight carried as easily as a manbag. Various chains and decorations draped the material, pulling it back and providing weight to prevent accidents via the wind. Boosted by the exercise, he looked the very definition of herculean.

Semphyra yelled at him to come in, and in doing so Clodius prepared himself. The vampire was on evens to just go naked. The actual result was something far more spectacular.

It was beautiful, certainly, and on Semphyra’s figure it seemed perfect. It was a dress, one made entirely of jewellry, almost, though it had numerous trains and veils made of some transparent gossamer. The chest plate covered the area over her bra at least, and some more beside, an elegant mish mash of crystals, emeralds and gold thread, leaving ample but surprisingly not overt cleavage. Her stomach, toned and tanned, along with her lower back remained bare. This was mirrored in the skirt, which although it parted down the thighs came to a halt at her knees, the material flexible for all the beauty and craftsmanship it held. The top, however, connected to the genuinely amazing part of the outfit, an array that sat on her back, secured through the elegant top, were thin lines of metal motors, decorated in the same style as the rest of the outfit that filtered out into spectacular butterfly like wings that soared and arched over her head.

These were incredible things, really, perfectly symmetrical, the frame made of yet more gold beading and encrusted with gems that glittered, and within must have been some fibreoptic display mechanism which meant the whole thing shone. Looking back over her top and skirt, he could say how they too formed intricate, stylish representations of a butterfly, the curves say, on a thorax of abdomen used to show off her more humanesque assets. That long silver hair was worn shorter, into two long braids that cascaded over each shoulder. Her mask however, was simple enough, though with golden antenna.

“Pretty cool huh?” She offered. Clodius felt she was covered enough to allow himself a look down. Heels in keeping with the outfit gave her a few inches, and translucent violet stocking complemented the outfit nicely with the colour of the veils that hung between the frames and from the brasserie. “Check this out.”

With a thought, apparently (and that explained the antenna, as well as symbolism, obviously), she took a step back and the outfit seemed to come to life. With a soft thoom, the wings came to bear, and flapped slowly and majestically. What at first appeared to be a simple mechnical setup however, quickly turned into somethign else as she rose from the floor. Floating quickly a couple of feet off the ground (and avoiding, just, the ceiling), she grinned and smiled at her admirer. “Awesome, eh?” She laughed. “Chuck us our beer up would ya?”

Clodius obliged at it seemed easier than finding words. What came out eventually was “I can see why you chose the big knickers. Pretty much built for panty shots.”

“Whatever. This thing cost...” She pondered. “A lot. And it weighs just shy of a hundred kilograms too. The irony of a heavy anti-grav unit is not lost of me I assure you.” She returned to earth with practised grace. An able flier in her other form, she was actually pretty comfortable already with such an ability. She walked up to Clodius and clink the necks of their drinks together.

“Shall we?” She offered, fluttering her eyelids. Those big blue eyes sparkled like the rest of her. Clodius let himself smile properly now.

“Sure. But no funny stuff tonight.” He offered.

“With you? God no you boring sod. I have my sights on a few, don’t you worry about me.”

“I only worry for our nation’s reputation.” Clodius replied, absolutely straight.

“You mean our reputation for debauched yet spectacular physical showmanship.” She offered as they linked arms and walked towards the gangway (a taxi had been booked accordingly). “Yeah, I could see how I could spoil that right now.” She gently mocked. All he could do was smirk in reply.
Blood and steel. And Pretty Ladies.

Navarre - Business Paradise

Roania
Ambassador

Postby Roania » Sat Sep 28, 2013 11:35 am

Alessa smiled again, her voice dropping into a low, mischievous tone. "It's not so bad as I make it sound, but it's driving Selevar mad to know I'm uncomfortable and there's nothing he can do about it. Besides, him getting me out of this promises to be a lot of fun." She giggled, and rolled her eyes in an affectionate manner. "And I certainly hope your people are better able to cope with the sight of their Empress in comfortable clothing than mine are. I can imagine the reaction if I turned up in sweatpants and a tanktop." The Empress hesitated. She could. And she didn't like it one moment. Shaking her head to clear it, she smiled. "I look forward to that later meeting, and I know for a fact your children are the second luckiest children in all of creation." She looked at her own child, who was slowly coming to attention.

Said personage wriggled a bit in his father's hand, poking his head up and out of his swaddling in order to look around a bit. His bright blue eyes took in the meeting, the guards, the familiar feeling of being held by his father... and then he turned his head towards his mother, who was looking at him with unconcealed love and affection. Or, rather, he took in what he thought was his mother, but the sight of her massive head-dress threw him right off. He looked up to his father, to see that Selevar's hair and forehead were also concealed. And at that, the little prince took a deep breath and began to kick and fight, crying suddenly out loud. "Oh, Selevar, you said he was okay!"

"He was asleep! I thought that was okay! By definition, a sleeping... shhh, shhh... shhh..." Selevar tightened his grip around the child. "I think we have to go, 'Les."

The sudden use of the petname, in public, by Selevar of all people, turned Alessa's cheeks bright red. "I... yes. Forgive me, Imperatrice Naiya." She concluded the appropriate formalities as quickly as possible.
Ten Thousand Years to the Lord of Ten Thousand Years! Ten Thousand Years to the Lord of Ten Thousand Years! Ten Thousand of Ten Thousand Years to the Lord of Ten Thousand Years!

The Dragon Throne has stood for Ten Thousand Years! For Ten Thousand Years, the Dragon Throne Stands! The Dragon Throne has stood, is standing, and shall stand for Ten Thousand Years, Ten Thousand Years, Ten Thousand of Ten Thousand Years!

The Ctan
Minister

Postby The Ctan » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:02 pm

If the First Senator was in any way surprised by the speed and efficiency of which he was relayed to the Imperatrice, he confined his reaction to a raised eyebrow that disclosed his impressed response, he had truly expected at least a short delay and perhaps a moderate wait, to be shown directly in was thus a pleasant surprise, and he gave Calabrese a nod and a few words of thanks as he approached the Gianfigliazzi building. He took a small boxed book, whose spine was blank except for a golden ouroboros that was plated onto it. The box itself was made of black leather, and unornamented, though in fact it was the leather from the hide of a Freestian Titanadon, hammered with steel corners to better protect the book within from rough use. Naturally as with anything else, necessary security measures were submitted to with an easy, gracious smile.

Upon being shown into the Imperatrice’s presence the Proaldaconcion bowed slightly, a gesture that was as calculated, measured and set out by design as any of his others, “Lady Imperatrice, may I say that it is a great honour to meet you, and add of course that you performed admirably during the ceremony,” not a comment on appearance but on manner and grace, which was considered more flattering and of course, more appropriate, but then, it was hard to be graceless when being crowned, at least so long as one remained upright, which exposed the pleasantry for the kind of harmless utterance one might easily take it for. “I bring the complements of the C’tani People and Senate, and would also present, if you would give me leave, a small token of our esteem.”

He smiled again, one of the few gestures of genuine warmth, as opposed to polite formality, holding out the book, the touch of which was enough to disclose that it was subtly special though far from the most powerful artefact of its kind that Naiya had ever experienced, still notable and costly. “This is the Book of Lost Days, one of a small number produced in history, it is capable of, by one who knows its ways, causing to appear on its pages, I must confess I do not know exactly how it works, the text and images of any lost work of philosophy or fiction, from the Libri auspiciorum to Love’s Labours Won, though of course, its very nature means that its authenticity may be doubted, it is nonetheless at least an intellectual curio,” the most interesting coffee table book in the world, in short, was left unsaid, but it was also genuinely intriguing for many people, and, "which we hope at least will provide you with amusement."

Time, as with everything else, would tell.
Last edited by The Ctan on Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"The Necrons were amongst the first beings to come into existance, and have sworn that they will rule over the living." - Still surprisingly accurate!
"Be you anywhere from Progress Level 5 or 6 and barely space-competent, all the way up to the current record of PL-20 for beings like the C’Tan..." Lord General Superior Rai’a Sirisi, Xenohumanity
"Many races and faiths have considered themselves to be a threat to the Necrons, but their worlds and their cultures are now little more than interesting archaeology."
Want to get in touch? Direct Discord Link

Roania
Ambassador

Postby Roania » Sat Sep 28, 2013 12:27 pm

"...no." Nesar rarely raised his voice, and he did not bother to do so now. He spoke with a calm, quiet command, the same strength that pervaded everything he did and everything he was; prepared to raise his voice, like a coiled snake is ready to bite, but not needing to do so for his point to get across. "You will not." His own costume was sitting on the desk, forgotten in the momentary conflict.

"And whyever not, Nesar?" Daria stood there, her hands at her hips. "Do you not care for my costume? Or do you think you have some call on my loyalties?" Daria had planned this moment for days, weeks, ever since the invitation. She was looking forward to her entrance at the ball, a moment when she wanted all eyes to be on her. All male eyes, at least. As usual, she was determined to get what she wanted, and was willing to make a good effort at it. She stood there in front of him now, long purple hair flowing to below her waste And that, apart from three pieces of fabric (the bare minimum to maintain even the pretense of decency at a formal event) was that. "I believe it to be a perfectly good costume of the Lady Nesera in her hour of peril before the great hero Isarn rescued her."

"And you expect the foreigners to understand the reference?" Nesar leaned back on the table, his eyes starting from her tiny feet (clad, but not visibly), and slowly moving up her long legs, focusing on her calves, her knees, her thighs... "Or do you expect them to merely stare? Like this?" His eyes rested, momentarily, between her legs.

Daria whistled, just once. "Eyes up here." Nesar's eyes skipped to hers, and she grinned. "Follow my hand, boy." She reached one hand down between her legs, spreading the hair. Everything was concealed, but the hand's arrival covered the concealment, making it seem as if she was wearing nothing. Slowly, her hand traveled up her body, over the soft curve of her abdomen, the hair parting in front of her fingers and falling back behind them. One finger rested on her navel for a moment, and she smiled, knowing that she'd caught his attention when she heard his breath catch. "You like that, then?"

"Mmmhm..."

Her smile grew wider. She was in control here. And she loved it. Loved every moment of it. Her other hand joined the first, both resting on the angle of her hips, the fingers meeting in the middle, two at her navel, two below. Her actions were causing a thrill of excitement up and down her spine as well, and she didn't have to fake the soft sigh that left her lips as her fingers resumed their journey north. Slowly, her hands established a base-camp at the bottom of her breasts, and commenced the long, gentle hike up those rolling hills. Her fingers lingered, just for a moment. "Remember these?" Daria whispered, as that moment grew into two, and her fingers continued a slow, circular dance. "You liked them, didn't you. Mmm... and they remember you, Nesar."

"Do they now?" Nesar's voice came from a long way away, his attention entirely on her. Daria allowed her own attention to waver as her hands stopped their motion, just resting. He was so tall, so handsome... so virile. It had eaten her that he had dismissed her so readily after their night together. Now, she thought she understood. He had been scared of how much he wanted her. Well, fear is weakness.

"Oh yeah, they definitely do... Mmm... your tongue, and your lips... and your hands... and..." Daria's breath sped up, just slightly. "But I'm getting ahead of myself, aren't I..." She reluctantly withdrew her hands from her chest, continuing to move them up her body. Slowly, she reached her head, and just lifted them up, letting all her hair flow back down. "You want?"

"...you know the answer to that, Daria."

The woman smiled, and then she clicked her heels once, nodded, and started out of the room. "Well, you can't have it. But don't worry, maybe when I let another man touch me, I'll think of you for a second or two." She stopped at the door to the hallway the Roanian delegation was based on, and turned back. "As they say here in the Dominion, au revoire!" It was a fatal mistake. Nearly literally, in fact. Nesar's hand was out, and suddenly a coil of fiber shot from his coat, wrapping tight around her neck. He pulled, hard, and she lost her balance, falling to the ground, before she was released, gasping for air, her hands now at the red circle around her neck. She stared up at him, terrified as he approached. "So... now you're going to rape me, Nesar?" She brazened it out, but she had evidently gone too far. "W-well, I'm used to that, and I know you've thought of raping others. Just try not to..." Nesar's hand lashed out, and he slapped her hard across the face. "I... I didn't know you liked it rough like that... I... I'm game if you..." Another slap, this time with the back of his right hand, scoring a mark on her with his ring.

"Shut. Your. Mouth." Nesar lifted her from the floor by her neck. She gasped, closing her eyes. She hadn't realized how much strength was in that coiled snake's fangs when it finally lashed out. "You take my ancestress and dress her as a whore for your own sexual amusement. You turn your back on me as if I was beneath your contempt. And now you accuse me of seeking to rape you." Nesar's hands tightened around her soft skin, and she kicked and struggled to no real purpose. "And worse, you bring up my greatest error to taunt me. All of this I would forgive, did I think you were worth forgiving. But neither of us believe you are, do we?"

Daria finally stopped her struggles, and hung limply in his hand, looking down at him. "You're right." She smiled weakly through thick lips. "Kill me, Nesar. It's all I've ever really wanted. See what I've become? See what I was made into? None of this had to be. So kill me and end it." Nesar's fingers twitched, and a thin blade was suddenly in his other hand. He shoved her hard against the wall, and the knife went against the flesh of her throat, not hard enough to cut the skin, but close enough that she knew death was a moment or two away. All she did was close her eyes, and at the edge of hearing, whisper, "Please."

Nesar's fingers trembled, for just a moment, and then he dropped her to the ground, where she bunched up into a tight ball, instinctively protecting herself. "Killing people who want to die is an occupation I'm not prepared to take up. Killing people who don't deserve it is a mistake I'm not prepared to make." The knife disappeared, and Nesar kicked his foot against her, not gently, and she looked up at him, her eyes red. "Here." Nesar dropped another short blade onto the ground. "If you think your life is so worthless that joining your ancestors is preferable, find the strength to do it yourself. Don't keep taking the coward's way, dancing at the edge of whoredom and suicide. And if you ever..." Nesar paused. In truth, he didn't believe she wanted to die. Not really. She wanted affirmation; affirmation of her weakness, of her opinion of herself and of men and women in general. She was just willing to die to get it. "...nothing. There's nothing I can do to you, beloved, that you cannot do to yourself a thousand times over. I can neither help nor harm you, I fear."

He grabbed his mask and walked to the door, looking behind her. "...wear that costume if you want, beloved. Or find another thing to wear. Or decide against joining us, and end what you believe is a terrible existence. I will do you the honor of ensuring you are passed on to your ancestors without the Empress knowing, if that is what you wish." And he walked out the door. And Daria wept.

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:29 pm

Roania

Naiya winked slyly at Alessa as the two traded quiet remarks. “I wish you the very best of entertainment with that. My people have had to put up with me in those clothes pregnant and irritable to boot. I think they could handle the both of us at ease, at least in the privacy of my home, hm?”

She smiled as Alessa looked down at her little baby, knowing all too well how she must feel that way. He was an adorable little thing. But seeing the confusion dawn, and his little face screw up into a likewise familiar preparation, she wasn’t the lest surprised at what came next.

Oh bless him … poor little thing, all surrounded by fluff and finery. I’m going to feel like crying too by the end of this.

For the public of course, Naiya put on a neutral but understanding face, assuring one and all that it was of course, of no moment, and obviously, the needs of the Imperial family had to be taken into consideration. As they left however, she smiled to herself. Babies certainly had a way of keeping everyone on their toes.

From the other room, the unmistakable sounds of her own little ones stirring caught her attention, and she walked over quietly to see how they were doing.

Nathicana was sitting next to the bassinet, gently rocking it, having shooed Aeturnus away for a moment. “They’re doing just fine, bambi,” she reassured her daughter, her voice careful and soft. “They’re having a very busy day, but I think all in all, it’s going rather well, yes?”

“So far, mama. And yourself?” Naiya asked casually.

“Quite well, quite well,” the older woman answered, her eyes never leaving the two little babies snuggled next to one another, and settling back down.

“Are you sure you wouldn’t rather –“

“Yes, Naiya. I’m sure. You take care of what you need to. They’re doubtless going to be hungry again soon, and then I’ll be out of your hair. I meant what I said about helping over the course of the night, you know.”

“Yes mama, I know. But we have a good many friends who are here to wish you well, as much as me. You’ll be in the loop. I think the boys will be just fine, and they’ll be close at hand as well. Of course you can see them whenever you want,” Naiya reassured again. “But please, take the time to see people, to relax a little if you can. It will be good for you.”

“Of course,” Nathicana said quietly, her hand still gently rocking the bassinet.

Naiya traded a quick look with Aeturnus, then nodded and retreated back to the receiving room. It was going to be a long night, most likely. And not, as some might expect, due mainly to the boys.

Dread Lady Nathicana
Retired Moderator

Ex-Nation

Postby Dread Lady Nathicana » Sat Sep 28, 2013 2:12 pm

The Ctan

Naiya smiled and inclined her head politely at the compliments. “ProaldaconcionDean, you are far too kind. It is an honor to meet you as well. Thank you for coming and allowing us to be your host for as long as you choose to stay.”

The young woman accepted the book gingerly, her fingertips first touch confirming that it was anything but ordinary, as Dean’s words gradually confirmed. She examined it closely, carefully as he spoke, appreciating the texture, the workmanship, as well as the … possibilities. When she looked up to meet his eyes, it was with a broad smile, that hinted perhaps a little, at mischievousness.

“First Senator, this is a truly unique and thoughtful gift that you and your people have chosen to grant me with. I think this bears a good amount of examination on my part. One wonders if you knew exactly what it was you were gifting me?” Her smile warmed even further at thoughts of catching glimpses from the lost Library, of things destroyed in haste and arrogance from various monasteries, castles, and other suppositories of knowledge over the years.

She wondered how much time she’d have for such pursuits. If things remained peaceful, perhaps …

“My sincere thanks for such a fine gift. Amusement, enlightenment – we shall see, yes? Please, is there anything I can do to help your stay more comfortable?”

The Freethinkers
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Feb 01, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Freethinkers » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:11 pm

With Midlonia and Kouralia

The Tables....*hic*

“Oh me lass, its good to see us gannin, pass t’folk along the road just they were stannin, all the lads and lasses there all the smiling faces, gannin along the Foxton road, to sae tha Repton races...” Alex paused. “I’m not pissed, seriously.”

Having been asked to stop playing Poker after shouting ‘Snap’! jokingly one too many times, one could understand perhaps the looks he was getting, but it was more Alex being Alex than Alex being drunk at this point.

“No, you’ve barely drunk an eigth of what you used to put away.” Billy said with a bob of his hair and a large boyish grin. “If you were… well you’d be going soft old boy. Can’t have that..”

Billy at this point began to whistle a few bars of another song, a theme song as a matter of fact. Something that Broxtowe had wound up hearing over and over far too many times as part of an ill placed bet.

“Sorry Princess. Probably not the best thing to see. Well, actually, it is, its great fun here, and we’re great fun too and definitely not two sad middle aged blokes running around with a girl half our age. No sir.” The tone indicated that it was all very self aware and tongue in cheek, and was done with an arm winding around Billy’s shoulder. “And stop singing that tune mate.”

“You know you’re the only person outside of a sitcom with your own theme?” Billy said with a grin as he patted Alex’s hand on his shoulder. “Ordinarily, your highness I would act with more decorum, but Alex always did set a more fun example. Seems to play well with our electorates.”

“Oh, there’s no need to feel bad about it.” Elena said with a smile. Unlike the Freestian and Midlonian, she’d drunk comparatively very little, it being very socially and culturally unacceptable to get that drunk in Kouralia. “It’s fun anyway, and if everything was all the boring state occasions and close order drill then I’d probably top myself with a bayonet or something… And I’ve definitely seen worse in the Junior Officer’s Mess…”

Alex grinned, and turned serious in a moment. “Relax, I’m not that bad. My old trick was to lure people to our table at the Saint James University union, used to do poker night, we’d work as a team, used to get stupid foreign exchange students sitting down with us. Billy banker here would split the winnings in half afterwards.”

“Almost in half.” Bill offered with a sly grin. “Good times.”

“Very good times. The theme song, by the way. I’ll have to tell you about the time I had an orchestra follow me around for a week...”
Blood and steel. And Pretty Ladies.

Navarre - Business Paradise

New Naggoroth
Envoy

Founded: Nov 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby New Naggoroth » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:20 pm

"It is always a pleasure, highness," Scarlet said when they were shown in and greeted by the newly minted Imperatrice. She snapped a crisp and respectful salute, while her sister bent at the knees and bowed her head in a half curtsy, half bow. "Your hospitality has been exemplary, and Devras can rightly claim to be one of the jewels of the 'verse, as it is always a wondrous experience to visit."

Ellenith smirked as she let her sister get the required measure of flattery out of the way before she spoke next, "Our parents sends their regards, Imperatrice, and their regrets that they could not come in person. Mother has been recalled to the homeworlds, while father is left at home in charge of things, given that the Empress is, as you know, attending this same event."

"And Calvyn, well," Scarlet picked up from her sister, a habit the twins had when together, "He's quite busy with his studies, though as I understand he's doing quite well with school. I'm sure he too would have loved to have a few days off to visit, but both the academy headmaster, and father most importantly of all, would have none of that."

"Now, as is customary for events such as this, we have brought gifts for your highness, on behalf of the Naggorothi people, to renew our pledge of friendship," Ellenith said eagerly, as she produced a small amulet from her handbag, while Scarlet removed the curved sword from her belt, and held it out flat in both hands.

"The first is a simple blade, highness," Scarlet explained, partially unsheathing the curved sabre, allowing Naiya to see the slightly blue-tinted steel and the decorative etchings along the flat of the blade. "Made of ithilmar, it is something of a relic as I understand it. Exceptionally light, it was the blade of a cavalry officer, originally, and was believed to be forged in the same year that Devras was founded... give or take a century," she smirked, returning the sword to it's ebony sheath and presenting it to its new owner.

"The other gift," Ellenith spoke up as she held up the triangular amulet by it's silver chain, "Well, it is actually still in customs, awaiting delivery instructions. The officers there were quite kind, though, but they weren't so sure what to do with dear Snapper, given none of them had seen a three-ton nauglir before. They were not entirely sure what import restrictions applied or not, you see. Regardless, this here," she nodded towards the simple triangular silver and brass amulet, "is the pheromone transceiver that will allow the beast to recognize you as his master."

"I don't know if we've ever given one to a human before," Scarlet said as her sister gave the young empress the amulet, "So we haven't tested the formula to see if your smell is radically different from our own. Which means there is, well, a small chance he might try to eat you. But what's the fun if there's no danger involved?"
New Naggoroth factbook

New Edom
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New Edom » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:34 pm

"Thank you again, Imperatrice, for your kindness and hospitality, and I hope that we will have a chance to have greater friendly relations between our Houses and our nations in future," said Mara inclining her head, her manner still friendly though courteous, and then withdrawing.

"Well, that didn't go too badly," she said to Lalery when they'd withdrawn.

"You didn't suck," he agreed, solemnly.

"Oh right, whatever! I totally rocked and you know it--omigosh, it's the Roanian Empress! I'm so interested in meeting her too. And she's got a baby..." Mara sighed. "Cool, but I don't know how to be introduced to her. You'd better find out."

"Why? What do you care what we have to do with people who probably don't think we're worth scraping their shoes on?" demanded Thomas Lalery. "Let's see if we run into someone who doesn't believe their shit comes out in lacquer boxes." He saw her look of dismay and sighed, taking her hand a moment. "I don't want people looking down their noses at you. You're not just my cousin now, you're my queen. You can't let your soft heart get the best of you."
"The three articles of Civil Service faith: it takes longer to do things quickly, it's far more expensive to do things cheaply, and it's more democratic to do things in secret." - Jim Hacker "Yes Minister"

Scolopendra
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

The Adventures of the Minotaur Part I

Postby Scolopendra » Sat Sep 28, 2013 3:39 pm

With Freethinkers

So there they were, another couple (admittedly slightly less dressed, thought this didn't seem to bother the locals for either of them), walking along the cobbled streets and piazzas in expensive footwear that found its place so meticulously even against the loose stones. History was in the air here, the firmament itself built of a hundred different scents. One wondered, if decorum would let such a display occur, what their senses would reveal of what occurred here. Some rivers had flowed in the distant path, traces of fear and copper, traces too of trade, of non native woods and spices, all under a blanket of modern industrial fumes. Beautiful, in a way, like having their own guide.

Around them the city lit up in abandon. Were the streets a little wider and the signs in English, it could almost have been home. The beers from the ship had been drunk, and they were the last familiar taste technically, for although Dominions wines and lagers found their way to the Commonwealth they didn't taste quite like they did here. Romancing of one poor local boy by Semphyra bought them their first free drinks, and another lascivious conversation got them into some other party, one private and steamy but soon left as events called, though with no ill feelings, with some flexing of visible muscle by the surprisingly keen Clodius. The night was young and bountiful.

As for the minotaur, the night had not yet offered too much amusement. A few conversations, here and there, perhaps, but nothing nearly as exciting as some. One could argue that wasn’t what he was looking for, and that much was true--the more libertine nature of the holiday having really very little to tempt him with, considering his proclivities--but even then it can be difficult for a well-dressed mythological beast towering over the crowd to fit in. This past makes the prologue to his present of simply walking the streets as he had for years now, recognizing familiar landmarks and shops and memories all dressed up in extra red and black bunting for the occasion.

It was that interest in the mythological that first attracted the attention of the Freestian ‘couple’. How a creature from the Commonwealth filtered threats was based instinctually on size, and anything bigger than the norm got noticed. For them, everywhere here was new, even if vaguely recalled in similarity from some distant tourist browsing.

“Costumes of interest.” Semphyra licked her lips, though it was actually a gesture of fine tuning taste and smell. “The Minotaur.”

“Big bastard, aren’t they?”

“Comparatively.” Her hand slipped around his arm and pulled him across. “Come, lets enquire as to this new specimen.”

They moved, though not as prancing human couples, but instead splitting slightly, a faster pace, dodging elegantly between people, tracking, stalking, as if on the plains of home and moving in quick, quiet determination against prey. Not that this was prey, per se, and they hoped the recognition of such a movement might be an icebreaker in and of itself. Maybe.

Something didn’t seem quite right. One didn’t grow up with his father and not pick up a mild sense of paranoia, Heroic instincts aside. Yellow eyes from under the false-ivory mask glanced around, casually. That was part of what he was raised on: always keep at least the appearance of a level head, since acting spooked can let potential assailants know that they’ve just been made and, by influencing what they see, one has the best opportunity to take the initiative. Those were, more or less, the exact words of the lesson. He’d chafed a bit under them, way back when, but at least now he could tell something was up.

“He’s either really good or really bad.” Semphyra noted, the game suddenly afoot, smiling. This was unusual fun, but one which played to the, well, playful nature of the hunting synapsids. It wouldn't be one, after all, they would get to play often here. “I’ll shift behind then come up on the left, and you on the right. Assuming his vision is fairly standard in range he’s going to have adjust stance or risk losing sight of one of us. We’ll know then if he’s that good.”

“Definitely sure its a him?” Clodius offered, slowly slightly and beginning track, people beginning to cut between them as the gap widened.

“Sure enough. Lets hope his normal instinct though isn't a blind charge in.”

“Quite.”

There, that was it. Crowds mill a certain way, people doing things intentionally move differently. Especially those two, they didn’t stand out so much in how they looked but how they acted. And they were splitting up. That was never good, from all the wargames he had to play as a kit. What was the correct response to that? He kept walking, moving over towards the side of the street. A vendor happened to be angled about the right way--he’d work. The minotaur didn’t bother trying to figure out what the merchant was selling; instead, he just angled himself by the cart and started opening conversation. Something meaningless about events and weather and just how damn great everything was. At least he could keep an eye on the crowd and his new friends from here… but, of course, in the movement, he’d lost them for a moment. He quietly cursed his lack of attention internally while he continued to blather in the practiced, easy cordiality that was his day job.

“He’s spotted us.” Their pace slowed and lacking any proper reason for continuing the mock chase, the couple recombined and walked up, instead. Needing an excuse for an introduction, Semphyra paused their motion for a moment, separating from Clodius, and with a well placed note in the pocket of an exasperated but immediately flattered waiter at one of the innumerate cafes returned with a bottle of undisguisedly local white and three glasses. Blowing a kiss to the three local lads to whom it was originally intended (and now covered for the price) she retook Clodius arm and they made their way to the giant of interest.

“Good evening.” Clodius offered. “Si guarda come avete bisogno di una bevanda!” He said in such jovial tones that one option was for him to be slightly intoxicated, but it fitted the mood of the night quite nicely.

To his credit, he didn’t jump out of his skin, just tensed for a moment under the padded doublet. Never let them see you bleed or worry. It’s why he was actually decent at his day job. Just another deal to make, maybe. He bowed shortly as was the custom he was raised in, bullhorns glinting in the lights of the street. Upon closer inspection he’d fit for a minotaur who was also part of the Renaissance merchant class, purple doublet sewn with a slightly darker thread to form a diamond quilted pattern, the feathers acting as trim or piping for a plastron that went up his front and over his shoulders. “Buonasera,” he replied in a Dominion accent, if bears or monsters of ancient myth could have accents in their rumbly voices. “Mentre io certamente apprezzo il gesto, non avrei potuto apparso così assetato che si doveva saziare questa sete così intensamente?

Blunt, perhaps, but as has already been noted, he did not necessarily attend too closely to his father’s advice.

“You interested me.” Semphyra offered in her most feminine purr. “Well, us.” She offered a glass. “Its whatever the locals were ordering so it must be good.” She offered a beaming, wide smile at him, the fangs evident in their natural, reclined state.

“Yeah, what the lady said.” Clodius offered.

The minotaur ignored through force of habit the primal urge to leap at the unintended threat behind the grin, though it did strike him that the good lady’s dentifrice was… wrong. That was interesting. “I’m honored that I could engender such interest,” he replied. It sounded as though a smile would go with it; the mask prevented an actual smile from going with it. The ring through the bull’s nose simply remained as static as the day it was cast. “And among such interesting people, too. I do believe a drink would be… refreshing, thank you.”

The manner in which it was rapidly poured indicated more Semphyra’s own desire to start drinking, but a reasonably full glass was soon in the minotaur’s hands. “I know, its a masquerade but curiosity is impounding me somewhat.” She looked down his body. “You’re clearly not human, but I can’t park the species.” She had her suspicions, of course, “I can’t quite place it, and I hate saying the for the sheer parochial impression that probably makes.” Those lips paused on the edge of her own glass. “I’ll make a guess. K’zin..ty?” The pronunciation was soon lost beneath a sip of wine.

Clodius just looked at Semphyra, who simply pushed cleavage at him and he fell away awkwardly.

“Then you have me at a disadvantage, good madam.” The kzin-minotaur looked down at his glass. It wasn’t going to work. This is why he stuck two gloved fingers into a pouch by his side and extracted a silvery straw. One end into the drink, the other end behind the mask. “Excuse me, but it would be against the rules for me to do the sort of acrobatics necessary to make a round glass rim work with my lips.” He took a sip. Thought about identifying the vintage, decided that would be a bit too pretentious and no one here would be impressed or appreciate it. “I can tell that your canines are unusually long and sharp, but I’ve had friends into that sort of thing so it would be impolitic of me to presume one way or the other. Of course,” he said in a smirking voice, “this is a Masquerade so some level of uncertainty is mandatory.”

“Shall we agree that names are passe then?” Semphyra offered, though her lips drop slightly to hide the teeth. She had heard of the grin challenge in her travels, and being circumspect was no bad thing. “I am a vampire of a particular sort. So perhaps that satisfies,” she purred the ‘s’ somehow. “And the straw is perfectly forgivable. In better circumstance I would have asked for more appropriate glassware.

“So, can I ask at least where you hail from?” Clodius offered, with a slightly male challenger brusqueness which was entirely involuntary.

The as-yet-unnamed minotaurtosh nods politely at the vampire’s explanation. “If I recall correctly, names were power in the old magic and myths. The cyclops could only revenge himself against Odysseus when he knew his name, after all. I also must thank you for your understanding; more than a few people here’d consider drinking wine through a straw something close to sacrilege.

“As for where I’m from? I grew up in this city, for the most part, with long vacations on the Ring.” He pointed up. “Something of an expatriate, I guess you could say. You two?”

“The Commonwealth.” There was a moment. “The Freethinker Commonwealth.” The explainer was often forgotten, as it was unnecessary in the usual circles, but there were plenty of Commonwealths and plenty of pretenders to the title as well. “Our first trip here in an official capacity, though we have made the tourist runs.” Semphyra took another moment to savour the flavour, of the wine and the city and now their companion, her senses keen. Perhaps he would see her do so, and hoped it was not offensive to be seen with flared nostrils. She could tell his class from the pedigree of his costume and its reference, his breed from the latent smells, though they were technically knew. There was a slight saturation of ‘Dominion’ smells there too, of wines and perfume and the general good living of the locality. “Its a place that has its charm. The canals and the architecture remind me a little of home.”

“Indeed.” Clodius felt a slight add on to the whole affair, stuck between two socialites. Oh well.

The minotaur looked to think for a moment. “The Commonwealth? I’ve never had the opportunity to go; sadly, most of my business has been local.” Well, maybe not too sadly; he was doing well enough as it was. “Perhaps I will have opportunity to visit, all the same.” He took no offense from Semphyra’s subtle sniffing. The two seemed nice enough, and if they’d drugged him, it didn’t seem to be taking an effect. He rolled that thought around in his mind for a moment, not for the first time cursed half his lineage, and let it go. “If you’re here officially… I suppose you’ve completed those particular tasks. Now’s an opportunity to experience the night life of Devras, if that’s your thing; it really comes out when they decide to throw a party. I could recommend a few places, depending on your tastes.”

“If one was aiming for carna....” Clodius glared at Semphyra, who looked back with heavy eyelashes flashing. “Okay, for proper nightlife, the dancing and drinking and debauchery.”
Clodius went back to drinking his wine without a word. “I do like the locals, and would love to hear one’s opinion on this sort of thing.”

“High society or low? Exclusive or less so?”

“Honestly, I tend to find the only difference is the price. So, the most expensive?”

The minotaur took a sip from his drink and thought a little. At least one was a vampire. From all that obnoxious purring, she’s also hot to trot, as it were. Still, official business, assuming that was to be believed. No reason not to, though, and no place that couldn’t handle a little trouble would be open on this night of nights. The Inferno Incident had ascended into local legend, after all, though it predated him a little. Still, he would be banking his good name, since the ‘most expensive’ was also exclusive. Actually… if they could handle the Soldier Red, they could probably handle anything. “Try Dante’s Inferno. The upper levels are open to the public but as you head downwards, it gets more exclusive. Once they start asking for references…” Well, it’s not really his name. “Tell them ‘Skippy’ sent you.”

“Skippy.” Semphyra licked her lips at the word. Interesting nickname. “Dante’s Inferno then. Will you be frequenting there yourself?”

“Perhaps. The night is young.”

”Note duly made. In which case, I will probably see you there.” The look ‘Skippy’ received nearly made Clodius choke. “Adieu, for the moment. A pleasure meeting you.”

“And the same.” Her male companion got in there. The greek god bowed to the monster. Odysseus bowing to the Minotaur.

“The pleasure is all mine,” the mythological beast responded with a low bow. “Enjoy your evening, and until we meet again…” On a lark, he took up Semphyra’s hand and kissed the back of it just as a roguish gentleman should. No interest, of course, but maybe he could start counting forehead veins.

Scolopendra
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

Att'n: Solont

Postby Scolopendra » Sat Sep 28, 2013 4:38 pm

Kana's dress was certainly fascinating, and so it indeed fascinated a particular comically oldschool robot prone to being fascinated. Certainly 'fancy' described more than a few costumes at this event, but the grand majority fell into the same traditional theme: Renaissance costumes in bright colors or high contrasts. Get enough of the same theme together and, no matter how creative each one is, it blends together. As such, the bright blue ocean theme caught her eye so she trundled along over. It wasn't that she was flighty; she could and did concentrate when she had to. Could to a frightening extent. It was more that her brain constantly sought out novelty.

"Hello, ma'am!" Imagine a feminine rock-grinder, then make it cheerfully bubbly. That would be a fair approximation of the robot's voice. "Your dress is beautiful." A momentary pause as she noticed how she simply stormed in. "Sorry if I'm barging in on anything, but I just had to compliment you."

The costume, when one can get a closer look at it, can best be described as naive art at best. It consists of several boxes coated in aluminum foil, shiny side out and ever so slightly wrinkly from the mismatch between the contours of the supporting boxes and the foil, which is probably glued on since there is no tape along the seams. Red bicycle reflectors make up the eyes, and the mouth is a simple grille made of a wire mesh. Its torso consists of several boxes nested one within the other to allow for flexure, and the arms and legs are plastic accordion ducts spraypainted a steel color to contrast slightly with the brighter foil. The robot's hands are curved gripper-like gauntlets, cut halfway up their length and held around gloved fingers by elastic bands. The robot's duct-based digitigrade legs end in boxy feet, constructed similarly. Unlike most 'classic robot' costumes, however, the boxes on this one appear to hang more naturally. The insides probably have a harness of sorts to keep everything in place and allow for natural movement, like a suit of armor.

Then she recalled what her target was doing before she came up. "Are you looking for someone in particular, or just crowd-watching?"

Scolopendra
Minister

Civil Rights Lovefest

And with the Nathi

Postby Scolopendra » Sat Sep 28, 2013 5:40 pm

Wolf had paused in his wanderings at one of the tables outside the ballroom to procure a drink. Not one of the wines, though he eyed them with some regret. But instead, one of the juices, which he sipped at through a straw, as some others did as well from behind their masks. Nothing had been relayed over Spook, so it seemed all was more or less well, which suited him fine.

Wearing twenty kilograms of steel can be dehydrating, so the knight in his shining white armor nudged the elbow of his Egyptian goddess companion and tilted his helm towards the drinks, clinking the edge of it against his gorget. She nodded and the two made their way there, not quite arm-in-arm but close, the arms next to each other sticking out slightly to brush against each other. Upon reaching the table Sekhmet took up a glass of wine and expertly transferred it to a fluted flagon slipped from a gold-linked belt around her waist--not quite accurate, mayhaps, but a necessary evil done in the name of utility--before bringing it to her thin lips. The golden lion mask under the cobra-circled red sun disk only covered from her lips up; from that down her tawny fur was bare, barring the usekh and the straps holding up her perilously low-slung red dress. The knight looked at the wine--as far as could be told--reached a gauntlet for it, paused, then picked up a glass of grape juice instead along with a straw that he then threaded through one of the breathing holes in the bottom half of his helmet. Other than obviously being functional armor, or at least designed to look functional, there was little to note from his Milanese suit; as per that style it lacked particular accoutrement or fluting and instead retained a sleekly deflective geometry. After momentary quaffs, they looked to the kung fu wolf and nodded politely.

Lacking facial expressions, whether it was friendly politeness or formal politeness remained unknown.

He’d noted their approach - it was hard to miss, all things considered. Both cut an impressive swath together through the crowd. And the size and carriage of the lovely goddess, well … it was something one tended to take note of. Given his position, the way the knight carried himself was taken into account as well. There were little things one could judge if one paid attention. And his instincts told him that neither one of these were the sorts to be messed with. Not that he imagined many here would have cause to. He lifted his glass to them in greeting, and returned the nod. His own mask left the lower part of his face clear, revealing it to be clean-shaven, and fairly tanned. The light colored eyes that looked out from the mask’s eye holes regarded the pair thoughtfully, as he put known facts and observations together in his head.

“A fine evening, Goddess, Sir Knight,” he said by way of greeting. “I take it you’ve traveled far to reach our fair city?”

The goddess smiled thinly, as it was the only way she could. “Perhaps it all depends on perspective, good friend Wolf. Everywhere needs justice of some sort or another, and I have been many places I could call home. As for the good sir knight here, he would bring shame to the orders of chivalry if he did not travel in pursuit of quests noble and good to test his mettle and protect the weak.”

The knight looks away long enough to thread the straw back through again and take a sip before turning back. “What She-Who-Mauls means is that we’ve both traveled hither and yon but since the world keeps going around and around we always end up in the same place.”

Sekhmet glances down at the knight momentarily upon the use of one of her more descriptive titles.

“It would seem I find myself in very good company then,” Wolf replied, smiling broadly … but close-lipped. “I doubt I’ve seen quite as much of the world as either of you, but I think I can say there are worse places to find oneself. Of course, I could be showing my bias, but there you have it. An honor to make your acquaintances.” If he placed any particular emphasis on the word ‘honor’, perhaps it was simply a matter of local language inflections.

“We seem to have drawn quite a crowd for our little celebration. I haven’t seen so many celebrants in one place since I can’t remember when. We haven’t been remiss in our duties as hosts, I hope?” the man asked, head tilting slightly to one side in question.

“Better than last time,” the knight let slip. The goddess elbowed him in the upper arm. He shrugged. “Okay, better than before the last time. I missed the last time.”

“What the good sir knight means is that everything has been excellent well beyond his expectations.” Sekhmet shook her head gently, shoulders rising and falling just a little bit. “I can certainly assure you that you have been most hospitable hosts.” She recognized the voice, and smiled again. “I am certain that such as we have seen required great effort and preparation. Those who arranged such matters must certainly be skilled in their trade.”

The knight perks up momentarily, judging by body language. “I would have to agree with our goddess here,” he said. “It’s enough to make an old white knight like me a third wheel--and in this context, that’s nothing but a good thing.” The joviality in his voice successfully penetrates the metal plates of his helmet.

“You’re both too kind by half,” Wolf said, bowing slightly, though keeping his eyes on the pair. “I would imagine the Imperatrice and her mother would not be the only ones distressed if all involved had not done their jobs well. If indeed any slacking survived the aftermath of that dressing down, they’d likely not last long after, si?” He took a slow sip of his juice, his eyes showing the telltale crinkling of a smile behind the mask.

“Speaking of dressings down, I could tell stories,” the knight reminisced. “If our paths should ever cross under less covert terms, remind me to tell you about Machiavelli, plastinated animals, and a hunting trip. It is quite possible the current administration would remember something about those three seemingly unrelated topics mentioned in close proximity.”

“Sir Knight, I am at your disposal,” Wolf replied, chuckling quietly. “In fact, I would imagine such an evening of storytelling is one that could be enjoyed by more than a few, should you be willing. We likely have tales to share. In the meantime, would it be forward of me to ask if you and the radiant Goddess might be on your way to the dance? It would be a singular honor to accompany you both over.”

Sekhmet looked down at the knight, and the knight looked up at Sekhmet. The warrior-goddess turned to the wolf. “It would be our pleasure, Friend Wolf.”

Sunset
Senator

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Sunset » Sat Sep 28, 2013 7:28 pm

Solont

Stealing a quick glance around the corner of the sumptuously carved stonework building that faced the piazza, Lieutenant Iiandri of Franklin surveyed the crowd. Costumed revelers of all patterns and shapes mingled throughout but the most important one of all was, if her keen eyes were to be trusted, missing. If he was keeping to schedule he'd be well on his way to the national zoo to give the gift of fur to some unfortunate keeper. She checked again, watching the crowd shift and swirl for a minute, before clinging to the wall one again while she adjusted her mask.

It, like her costume, was cheap. Covered in glittery plastic gemstones it was a refugee from the back of the rack, finding a fortunate home with the young officer. She hadn't had time to find better, given the complications of finding a costume for a four armed woman in a two armed society. What she'd had to give the shop keeper to make the needed alterations had exceeded the cost of the outfit!

A second pair of long gloves had helped but the slashed and puffed dress with it's definitely-not-silk purple and black material barely managed the label 'presentable'. Redemption was only to be found in the nearly obscenely low cut decolletage which, as the dress was already a size too small on the shapely Ju-Docri, emphasized some of her best assets to a disproportionate degree.

One last detail to check and she'd be ready. With a thought she accessed the status console of the Jade-Class assault shuttle that had been the Ambassador's conveyance from the ash and heat of Arda to the SDF-Franklin in orbit and then back down to the lights and luxury of Devras with a tiger in tow. Everything read clean, most importantly the outer doors. Not that she didn't trust their hosts, it was just her job to keep an eye on it. Doubtless many of the pilots and drivers who had brought the other important muckety-mucks would be having their own party; She just wanted one that didn't involve a bottle of cheap wine.

With a deep breath she entered the square and headed for the action. The Ju-Docri were an adventurous people, well suited to the hazards of space travel, but this was dereliction of duty. Her hope was that the Ambassador - in her opinion as odd as a three dollar bill - would get distracted by something or someone and not return to the shuttle until very, very late. She'd have to be back on time herself or she'd turn into a pumpkin. Or at least an Ensign.

Filtering into the crowd she relaxed and began to look around. A party wasn't a party without someone to enjoy it with, and she began to look around for a suitable companion. A tin-clad robot? Almost too familiar. A giant lizard? She'd just finished ferrying a Therian Honor Band to a diplomatic function, shedding skin and all. There was one interesting prospect: A shapely young Kitsune in an elaborate dress. Was it a Kitsune? That was the Sunset norm speaking. Still the tail swished the right way and she enjoyed what she could already see from the rear.

Swishing her way to the young woman's side, she caught her eye and with an inviting smile looked her up and down. It was a masquerade so instead of introducing herself, she simply held out a gloved hand.

"Hello... Having a nice evening?"

Last edited by Sunset on Thu Oct 03, 2013 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
My Colors are Blue and Yellow

Bolrieg
Powerbroker

Founded: Aug 18, 2013
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Bolrieg » Sun Sep 29, 2013 10:23 am

After grabbing himself 3 glasses of wine Lord Ambassador Aldaes Dfagre was eying up one of the waitresses and remarked to one of his bodyguards "I'm looking forward to taking off her mask and probably the rest of the clothes as well eh?" he was a short man about 5 ft 4, mid 40s ,he wore one of the best suits money could buy, but at the same time he was unkempt and always stank of stale wine and mead. The bodyguard then grabbed hold of him "listen you were sent here to represent his grand majesty's interests so behave" pushing him away Lord Aldaes replied "bah, don't get your scrotum in a twist I know these types of parties and I know what goes on in them."

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates