NATION

PASSWORD

Women in the Military - One Step Closer

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]
Roania
Ambassador

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Women in the Military - One Step Closer

Postby Roania » Fri May 03, 2013 10:13 am

Day of Guidance, Fifth Month, Sixth Year of the Current Reign

The Imperial Secretariat for the Armed Forces has officially announced the completion of its six month study on allowing women to serve in the uniformed services. The report, which was released last night to the news services, states that there would be no expected negative impact to the army's efficiency, either in combat or in the logistical support structure, to women serving alongside men. "Frankly, this report only confirms what we'd already expected," Prince Casir of the House Drakharn, the Grand Secretary and Marshal-General, said at a press conference this morning. "In a modern military, there is no reason not to expect women to be able to serve fully and equally alongside men in the Imperial Banners and the Fleet. "

The Imperial Banners and the fleets would be the latest services to be integrated. The Guards of the Cities and Countries were integrated in the reign of the Brilliant Emperor, and the Palace Guards have been open to women since the first year of the Loving Emperor's reign.

Some do not agree with the Marshal-General's stated position. Retired Field Marshal, the Marquis Vaikin Jai, late of the Second Blue Field Banner, has been a opponent of the proposed policy. "That preceding generations recognized the ability of women to serve in a position where their nurturing and caring tendencies could help protect society does not negate that women are intended for nurturing and caring, not marching on the battlefield. As I have repeatedly stated, Roanian women are smaller and weaker on average than men, and most will not be able to keep up in the training that the military should require. As well, it is the nature of men to protect women, and unit cohesion will suffer when soldiers disobey orders to protect their new squad-mates. Nature itself also contrives to show that women are intended to keep away from danger. We see that among the imperial auxiliaries, as well as in nature."

Our research service has since pointed out that among the Imperial Auxiliaries, female salamandri are in general larger and more powerful than males and make up the bulk of the Green Claw Host, while felinoids have been fully integrated since First Contact across all Imperial Banners, though none serve presently in combat roles. When asked for comment on these statistics, the Marquis declined to make a statement.

Other objections have come from across the field. The Dowager Lady Fu, current matron of the Contemplative Order, has led a long and vocal campaign against any such change since the proposal was first made. "To allow women to serve in roles intended for men will be a great insult to their feminine nature, and more damagingly, to the honor of their families and their sacred Ancestors, Eternal Blessings Upon Them. What man will want to marry a woman who has so disdained her true self as to dress up in male garb and fight? These women who wish to serve should be ashamed of themselves."

As we said in our report on the subject last week, the Celestial Master has not made an official statement, saying that it is not for the Temple to dictate the actions of the state in such matters, and that it is through experiences that we learn if something is or is not the right course. Imperial Chaplain Gon-Yo, however, has issued a public rebuke to the Dowager Lady Fu, stating that it is not for a layperson to interpret the wishes of the Ancestors, Eternal Blessings Upon Them, and that their wishes are private matters within their family.

The Imperial Palace has also not released a comment, though it is believed that The Glorious Empress, May She Reign For Ten Thousand Years, has been a supporter of the policy. Grand Vizier the Prince Radmiel has stated, though, that now that the report has come through, it will be judged by the cabinet, with recommendations made to The Glorious Empress, May She Reign For Ten Thousand Years.
Last edited by Roania on Fri May 03, 2013 11:35 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ten Thousand Years to the Lord of Ten Thousand Years! Ten Thousand Years to the Lord of Ten Thousand Years! Ten Thousand of Ten Thousand Years to the Lord of Ten Thousand Years!

The Dragon Throne has stood for Ten Thousand Years! For Ten Thousand Years, the Dragon Throne Stands! The Dragon Throne has stood, is standing, and shall stand for Ten Thousand Years, Ten Thousand Years, Ten Thousand of Ten Thousand Years!

Roania
Ambassador

OOC!

Postby Roania » Fri May 03, 2013 10:14 am

And fixed.
Last edited by Roania on Fri May 03, 2013 11:36 am, edited 1 time in total.
Ten Thousand Years to the Lord of Ten Thousand Years! Ten Thousand Years to the Lord of Ten Thousand Years! Ten Thousand of Ten Thousand Years to the Lord of Ten Thousand Years!

The Dragon Throne has stood for Ten Thousand Years! For Ten Thousand Years, the Dragon Throne Stands! The Dragon Throne has stood, is standing, and shall stand for Ten Thousand Years, Ten Thousand Years, Ten Thousand of Ten Thousand Years!

Soviet Party
Envoy

Founded: Dec 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Party » Fri May 03, 2013 12:34 pm

The United Armed Forces Command of the Commonwealth of Soviet Party would like to commend the Armed Forces of Roania regarding the topic of allowing women in the military. We wish the best to all of the forces under the command of the Armed Forces of Roania.

Signed on this day by the assembled Heads of the United Armed Forces of Soviet Party,
Ekkehardt Goebel
-The Secretary of the United Armed Forces
-5 Star General

Sampson Harper Stuart Tollemache
-The Secretary of the Navy
-5 Star Admiral

Uwe Hoefler
-The Secretary of the Army
- 3 Star General

Tola Meeuwes
-The Secretary of the Air Force
- 2 Star General

On behalf of the Premier of The Commonwealth of Soviet Party, Joseph Stal-lennin, and the House of Legislators.
The Commonwealth of Soviet Party, the Founder of The Union of Aligned Soviet States
DEFCON: 3

Represented by Joanne Dickenson, Foreign Minister
Contact: Office of the World Assembly Delegate. 1934 B Street
Nulao, Commonwealth of the Soviet Party B5-42X

Urcea
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 13, 2005
Father Knows Best State

Postby Urcea » Fri May 03, 2013 3:35 pm

From the Desk of the President,

I would like to congratulate the people and the government of Roania on moving one step closer towards integration of their armed forces. Urcea has had a long history of women serving in the military, dating back to the early 18th century. Women were able to serve in the military before they were able to own land in our country; while that is not a bright spot in our history, it shows the dedication and service of our women to our nation. Women can serve valiantly and ably in armed forces in service of a country, and we recommend that full integration occur. With modern technology, women can serve just as ably and just as bravely as men within the armed services.

We encourage that the government and military of Roania continue on its course of action. The struggle for equality always marches forward.

Sincerely,
James Fallshade Jr., President of Urcea
The Federal Republic of Urcea
President| Brianna Johnson
National Ideology| National Democracy
National Info/Links| Factbook, NSEconomy, Roman Catholic Church

Roania
Ambassador

Postby Roania » Sat May 04, 2013 3:52 pm

"Let us start from basic principles, and then we shall build from there." Imperial Chaplain Gon Yu put his hands together on the table in front of him, and looked up and down the table. He was a tall, aquiline man. Old, but the years did not wear on him. His short, curt beard was as black as it had been years before. Many saw him as a potential Celestial Master; others saw a man who wanted others to see that.

"Another platitude, Chaplain?" Kousen Hai, Physician to Her Majesty and Minister for the People's Welfare, stroked his own long, thin beard as he stared up at the ceiling. "Surely there is more useful work you can do for us than to quote endlessly."

"To share the wisdom of the ancients is my work, Doctor Kousen. And there is much to be said for starting from the beginning. It allows us to see the whole issue, and hope in time to encompass all points of view. As Marek Hi said to the doubter..."

"If we start going on this track, we may find the beginning, but we shall go no further." Radmiel tapped the paper in front of him, while his agile fingers toyed with the few locks of hair he was proud to call his beard, though behind his back many mocked its pretensions. "Our esteemed colleague, Prince Casir, could not attend this meeting himself, but he has forwarded the proposal. And also released it to the press, more's a pity. Daria, can we throw him in prison?"

Daria, of course, did not have a beard, which meant stroking it and trying to look thoughtful in order to delay answering an annoying question was not an option for her. She sighed and shook her head after a moment. "No crime was committed, and the guards would just let him out if the Empress, May She Reign For Ten Thousand Years, didn't pardon him first."

"Mmm. A shame. Well, no matter. I assume you've all read the report?" There were a few coughs up and down the table, but nothing loud enough to truly break up the silence. "I assume you've all had your aides prepare executive summaries and read those?" The silence remained all encompassing. "I assume you all at least saw the report being discussed in the news last night and this morning, at least in passing?" This got enough murmurs of agreement that Radmiel felt confident in moving on. "Well. What does the secretariat believe should be our united memorandum to the throne? Shall the proposal be acted upon, or shall we dismiss it? Fell, you're our man with his thumb on the barbarian pulse. Anything there of interest?"

"Our attaches abroad have told us that there is no evidence from the barbarians that allowing women to serve in the armed services affects unit cohesion." Malhelm Fell's papers flew between his hands and the table as he ran through them. "Indeed, many of the most pressing presumed threats to our security have a long tradition of women serving at all levels, including Commander in Chief, and publically available information indicates no noticeable lapse in military effectiveness following the proposed integration."

"Well, they would say that in public, wouldn't they. What about private? What's intelligence got to say about it? Ecanus?"

Ecanus, long-suffering head of the Hidden Eye, looked up sharply upon being spoken to. His head had fallen onto his chest sometime in the prior meeting and for all the world he had seemed asleep. "Mmm? Ah. Was I meant to have people looking into that? I didn't issue any orders to that effect, I'm afraid. I will point out that many of our female persons of interest are either currently serving in the military or have military training, and our information on them indicates no failures in their service record that would be explained by their sex, as opposed to other factors within our intelligence assessments."

"It seems a simple enough question, Radmiel. You yourself framed it. Does this Secretariat issue a memorandum or not?"

New Naggoroth
Envoy

Founded: Nov 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby New Naggoroth » Sun May 05, 2013 5:59 pm

It had been a long eight months. Scarlet Drakharn, eldest daughter of Aeselle and Casir, had not spent them idly. Her parents had been concerned about the girl, as she’d been, quite unlike her twin sister, rather aimless and indecisive up to this point in her life. She hadn't considered school, nor had she really thought about starting a family, both things that were fairly typical for young noblewomen in her position. Instead she had, until eight months prior, been content to wander and carouse, much to the chagrin of her parents.

Then she had found her purpose, and her life had been changed. She wanted to serve her people; her mother had constantly drilled into her the Naggorothi ideal of selfless service and sacrifice, as well as their martial pride. This thought had latched onto her desire to explore and see the stars, and so the idea of joining the Navy seemed like the perfect fit. Her mother was pleased; her family had a long history as one of the ruling hallytyr of having its younger scions taking positions in the armed forces, and serving well as officers. Her father, however, was more reserved. The Radiant Empire did not have such a tradition, at least not amongst its women. Not yet, at least, though if Casir had his way, that would change.

The statuesque woman who lead the small group of elves disembarking from the commercial transport could not have been more different from the one who had left for the naval training facilities in Naggoroth. Zhor Korthun, the Officer Candidate School of Karond Kar, had left its mark upon the tall woman. Gone was slight slouch, the unkempt flow of long blonde hair, and the revealing, casual dresses. Instead, Scarlet stood stiff and straight in her dark blue uniform, her grey kit bag slung over her shoulder, and her hair pulled tight into a short ponytail beneath her cap. Lieutenant’s bars were affixed to her shoulder boards, and the small metal pins were polished to a mirror finish. They were hard won, and the young women was immensely proud as she approached the two people waiting for her at the top of the walkway.

Casir leaned on his cane and watched as his eldest child approached. “Welcome home, Lieutenant.” Prince Casir sounded much the same as he had the last time she had seen him. Maybe a few more gray hairs, or a few more wrinkles, but still the same father. When she reached them, he managed to bring himself to attention, the cane resting on his leg. “Welcome home, Lieutenant Scarlet.” He slowly raised his hand to his head in a salute.

Without breaking her stride, Scarlet dropped her bag at her feet and snapped a smart salute, “Lord Marshal,” she said, standing at attention as the others passengers continued to file past. “It’s good to be home, sir.”

Casir lowered the salute first, and then he dropped his cane and wrapped his daughter in a huge hug. “Thank the Light you stopped here for your furlough.” He momentarily wavered, but his balance without his cane wasn’t so bad that he’d fall when holding her. “Light, a Lieutenant already. I’m so proud of you.”
Scarlet just had enough time to lower her hand to embrace her father as he hugged her close. “A Second Lieutenant, Junior Grade. We all have to start somewhere,” she said sheepishly, giving him a kiss on the cheek, “Thank you, father. It means a lot to me that you’re not angry. I know I didn't exactly give you a lot of notice when I left...”

“Nonsense, dear,” Lady Aeselle chimed in, smiling as she stood beside her husband. “We’re both very happy to see that you, and glad that you’re safe. Are you staying for long?”

“I've two weeks leave before my rotation aboard the frigate Glory’s Blade begins. Just a routine three month patrol through some of the fringe territories in the home system, putting a bunch of us juniors through our paces,” she grinned, touched by her parents concern, “It’s likely to be rather boring, really. I’ll have some leave after that, though.”

“I could never be angry at my children for following their dreams, dearest.” Casir let go of Scarlet in order to let her hug her mother, too. “I just hope you won’t find your stay here so boring that you’re anxious to leave. But there’ll be plenty of time to catch up. I want to hear all about your training, and I expect your mother wants to hear if you've met any nice young men.” Casir’s eye twitched in a wink.

“Of course she does,” Scarlet laughed along with her mother and they embraced. “Some things never change, after all.”
New Naggoroth factbook

Roania
Ambassador

Postby Roania » Sat Jun 01, 2013 3:01 pm

“We have no choice but to issue a memorandum. The Empress asked for it, after all.” Radmiel took a sip of his tea and closed his eyes in thought. “Certainly, we cannot refuse a direct order. However, I am under significant pressure to make this whole thing go away, as swiftly as possible. As you will see. Nmmmr, bring me the files, please.” All of the felinoids in the room started at being named by the Grand Vizier. “No, not you. Or you. Or you. I don't think.” Radmiel reached up and slowly rubbed his forehead while the five felinoids hovered cautiously. “I gave one of you a package of documents. Will the Nmmmr I gave a package of...” One of them started forward, bowed obsequiously, and placed a folder in front of him. “Thank you.”

“I have received papers from the length and breadth of the empire. Notices from Merchant Houses that they consider the possibility of women being drafted a distinct danger to their security in times of war. Reports from the DesertLands that the tribes are bombarding Governor Ican with letters demanding that only men be stationed within their provinces. Also, actual bombs, if someone can look into why they're upset now, before we lose another Governor, that would be great, moving on. That ridiculous Dowager Fu has sent a dozen letters accusing me of being a puppet to perverse lusts, wanting to masculinize our nation's women.”

Daria stifled a snort at that and grabbed a sheet of paper from the pile, scanning down it. “Of rather more concern to me is Dowager Lady Fu's belief that a woman acting in a military role dishonors her ancestors. Gon Yu?”

“As I have already said, it is the business of each family what their ancestors believe or not, and between their ancestors and them. It is not for this government to claim to speak for anyone else's ancestors. As I told the Empress...”

“You've spoken to the Empress about this matter?” A Grand Secretary farther down the table asked, leaning forward and putting his hands together, watching the chaplain. “If she has made her thoughts clear on the subject, then we may simply provide what notice she wants and move on..”

“And then, next week, we can hold a meeting on finally removing the moons from that lake out back. I know they're in there, because every night I can see them in the water!” Daria slapped her hand on the table in fury. “When have you ever known the Empress to make her wishes clear on such a subject? She wishes to avoid controversy while allowing us to bury ourselves in it. And that is assuming she has given the matter any thought, which I doubt. Merely because we have allowed this one issue to paralyze our council for these past months does not mean she even cares any longer.”

“The Lady of Ten Thousand Years has many weights on her shoulders, as do we all.” Gon Yu piously intoned, lowering his head. “Yet she has spoken of her feelings on this topic.”

“And are you willing to share our sovereign lady's beliefs?” Radmiel asked, drily. “Because if we knew what she wanted, we could just tell her and have done with it.”

“Unfortunately, she is as divided on the subject as the public at large. The Lady Fu and the Joint Chiefs of Staff have her ear, and she has told me is concerned about the changes such a policy may make to society in her realm.”

“So she doesn't want to make the changes. Full speed reverse, and all that. As I've been saying, the military has been functioning just fine, and I don't believe there's a reason to alter our standing principles just to satisfy some jumped up barbarians with no scruples or class. A woman's role is to be virtuous and protecting, and I don't see how allowing them to run around laying at soldiers affords them an opportunity to grow and mature into the mothers they should be.” This from the Minister of Cultural Harmony, a short, graying man with poor choice in clothes, and even worse choice in speaking his mind when next to Daria.

“If we were to take your thoughts to their logical conclusion, Master Tyn, we would have no women under arms in the empire at large, including in our police services.” The woman who had ultimate responsibility for those police forces placed her hand on the table, looking at him coolly. “And, indeed, we should punish those women who could bear children, but have yet to.”

“Perhaps we should.” Tyn looked at Daria with equal distaste. “Especially those who choose to put off their duty to society and their ancestors in order to satisfy their perverse desires for a moment or two longer.”

“I'm sure Her Majesty, who may I remind you has not yet chosen to bear children, would be delighted to hear your thoughts on the subject. I'll make an appointment for you to meet her, shall I?”

“Enough, children.” Radmiel put his hand on his forehead. Sometimes he wondered if it was worth it. Sure, the power was nice. And the control over other people's lives. And the sexual favors his position offered to him. And the money. The money was very nice. But still... “Imperial Chaplain Yu, you said her thoughts were divided. Presumably she had considerations other than those of the Joint Chiefs and Dowager Fu?”

“Indeed. Her uncle has been meeting with her almost constantly. As you may know, Prince Casir's eldest, the Lady Scarlett..”

“That barbarian brat? What's she done now to bring her adopted name into disrepute?” Tyn scowled at even the thought of some... barbarian brutting her connection to one of the Empire's most prominent families, and with Casir not in the room, he felt disinclined to hold his tongue.

Perhaps he should have, as Daria drove her heel through the poor leather of his shoe and against his skin, hard enough to draw blood. “May I remind you that your words are akin to treason, Master Tyn? I would so hate to have to throw you in a cell.” The two of them glared at one another, but as was to be expected, the Minister for Cultural Harmony melted like butter in the intensity of Daria's hatred.

“People, will you please...” But it seemed Daria and Tyn's disagreements had triggered arguments up and down the table. Gon Yu sank into silence, merely watching, as Tyn's cause was taken up by his neighbors, and the honor of Casir's family by the absent man's partisans.

Radmiel rubbed his hand over his eyes again and took a deep breath. His control over these meetings was never very tangible at the best of times. He had wanted the best in his government; or failing that, those whose absence would cause him more political problems than he wanted to deal with. Unfortunately, both the best, and those who considered themselves totally secure in their positions, suffered massive ego problems. “People. People, please.”

His quiet appeal to reason wasn't doing much good. Even if he could have been heard over the racket. Apart from Daria and Tyn, none had come to blows, but that wasn't helpful, either. He sighed, closed his eyes, and slapped his hand on the table hard enough that the wood shook. “I demand silence!”
The council fell quiet at once, and Radmiel took a deep breath, then nodded. “Gon Yu. Continue.”

“Thank you, my lord. The Lady of Ten Thousand Years has been very careful to listen to Lord Casir's concerns on the subject as well. He, of course, regrets that his daughter had to go overseas in order to fulfill what she believed to be her purpose, and considers it an insult that the women of families with proud military histories should not have just as much opportunity to serve as their brothers and fathers. And Her Majesty has...”

“Where is the Empress, anyway? At the very least, she should be a part of our discussions.”

Roania
Ambassador

Postby Roania » Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:52 pm

In fact, Empress Alessa herself had been invited to a review of her army by Banner-General Rezel Karn, one of the most prominent opponents of any reform movement. She was sitting at a podium next to the older man, watching as the men went through their procedures. Occasionally the General, who even at an old age still had a strong voice, would shout commands across the field at the squadrons crossing the field. “Row one, fire and drop.”

The men opened fire as one, devestating the closest row of targets, then went to their knees. “Row two, fire and drop.” The second group fired and ducked. “Row one...” And so on for five minutes, each row opening fire on the stationary targets, dropping to charge their weapons for another shot, and then rising to fire again. “As you can see, Lady of Ten Thousand Years, our men are the finest fighting force in the galaxy.”

“Well...” Alessa didn't really know enough about the issue to respond to that. So she resorted to an old standby of just letting her thoughts dictate her words, confident in the knowledge that if she offended anyone, they'd assume it was their fault and not hers. “What if they need to seperate? Like, there isn't a flat field to form like that? It all seems very neat and tidy. Is combat really that neat and tidy? I don't think it's that neat and tidy.”

“A very fair question, Lady of Ten Thousand Years. Of course, in these unfortunate times, few barbarians know the true forms of combat, as laid down thousands of years ago. So we have adapted. Men! Loose formation, take cover, fire on point!” The lines broke up and the men spread across the field, hiding behind positioned rocks. After a moment, the firing in unison came again, focussed on a single point.

Alessa, feeling that applause was necessary, applauded. “Well done!”

“Thank you, Lady of Ten Thousand Years.” Rezel inclined his head. “As you can see, our army is skilled, combat-trained, and well-armed. In my expert opinion, I see no reason to make any changes to the finest fighting force in the galaxy.”

“Yes, of course. But surely a woman could undergo the same training as any man and perform in this fashion, couldn't they? I'm sure I could.”

“Oh, of course you could, Lady of Ten Thousand Years. But just any woman? I don't believe that to...”

“...we have had this discussion before, General.” Alessa put her hands on her hips, watching him for a moment. “Empty platitudes do not provide an answer.” And with that, she swung up and over the bar of the rail, landing on the parade-ground.

Empress!” The General's eyes widened, but he could do nothing to stop her. Instead, he grabbed his megaphone and said the words no commanding officer ever wants to say. “All activity halt, Empress on the field! I repeat, lower all weapons. The Empress is on the field!” Inwardly, Rezel fumed. He had served many of her predecessors in honorable battle, and even fought alongside one of them, in the battle that had made him General. He had never before been walked away from like this. With a sigh, he walked back onto the field.

Alessa walked through the suddenly bowing soldiery, without paying them much, if any, heed. She had become used, over the years, to men dropping to their hands and knees when she crossed their paths without warning. Eventually, she reached the firing range and assayed the men there, none of whom dared to look up. In a move contrary to all military procedure, they had dropped their weapons on the ground at Rezel's warning; the penalty for treating a charged weapon with disrespect was severe, but not so severe as the penalty for not aknowledging your ruler appropriately. The Empress toyed with a lock of hair as she surveyed the men, ignoring the urgent approach of Rezel and her bodyguards. “You there! Give me your gun.” She pointed to the man with the flashiest uniform, assuming, correctly, that he was in command of this unit.

“Empress?” The sergeant swallowed, but arguing was not something that he would have considered for a moment. Much less direct disobedience. He slowly rose to his feet, half crouching, half standing at attention, and slowly drew his pistol from his holster, pointing it at the ground, his hand as far from the trigger as he could get it without dropping it.

“What? No, not that gun! That one!” She pointed to the rifle at his feet. The stunned sergeant didn't quite know what to make of that request, but he mastered himself enough to return the pistol to its holster and slowlyour majestyy reach down for the rifle.

“Lady of Ten Thousand Years, I really must request that in future you advise me of your intentions in advance.” Rezel had finally caught up. “At ease, men. With your permission, Lady of Ten Thousand Years.” Roanians very rarely sweat, and the skeletal sweat even less, but Rezel was sweating now, beads of nervous perspiration dripping slowly down his forehead and neck.

“Oh. Yes. You may rise.” There was a general relaxation around the field as the men around her slowly returned to a standing position, none of them daring to pick up their weapons, though. “Now. That gun, please.” Alessa held her arms out for the rifle. The sergeant's eyes flickered nervously to her bodyguards and his commanding officer, none of whom looked pleased.

Slowly, he kneeled and lifted up the rifle, thankful that he had yet to recharge it after firing. Still, it was a potentially dangerous weapon, and he treated it with the caution it deserved. Unfortunately, while the Empress had a vague notion that guns were dangerous, practical knowledge extended to the fact that the bit with the hole was the dangerous end, so once she had it in her hands, the only thing that could be said for certain was she was unlikely to blow her own head off. “Now, show me how to fire this thing.”

The Sergeant swallowed and gave a very quick run-down, while one of her bodyguards tried to face her towards the firing-range itself, rather than the terrified soldiers around her. Alessa nodded and looked down the sights, aiming it where she was directed, putting the stock of the weapon against her small shoulder. “Heavier than I expected.” She grunted, pulling the trigger. Nothing happened, and she looked up at the sergeant peevishly.

“I think you need to charge it first, Lady of Ten Thousand Years.” Rezel nodded to a soldier. “Show the Lady of Ten Thousand Years how to fire your rifle, bannerman.”

The soldier quietly rose to his feet, lifted the gun to his shoulder, pulled the charging pump, and fired in one smooth motion, hitting the target he was firing towards and turning a nice little chunk of the stonework into dust. The Empress watched appreciatively, then turned and tried the same thing, though the charging pump gave her more trouble than she anticipated, but she managed to fire her first gun and hit a target, albeit not the one she aimed for.

The jolt of the energy release, and the sudden shock of the projectile release, had knocked her arm and shoulder back, and it was only the best of luck that no one was killed or injured apart from the Empress herself, who dropped the weapon on the ground and ruefully looked at her shoulder, where only the layers of her robe had protected her from a massive bruise. “Zlith.” Alessa rubbed her shoulder, and looked up at Rezel, who had only just started to breathe again. “Well, maybe I can't be a good soldier. But I have proven to my own satisfaction that a woman could fire a weapon, and presumably a trained soldier would perform better than me.”

Rezel was caught between a rock and a hard place. If he disagreed with her, he'd be disagreeing with her. But if he agreed with her, he'd be both damaging his own position and potentially, treasonously, saying something negative about the Empress. Fortunately, he was spared from having to make that dangerous decision.

“Empress Alessa, I think you have caused enough trouble for your soldiers today.” A tall man was moving rapidly across the field. As rapidly as he could while hobbling with a cane, at least, which was reasonably impressive, but then, Casir could manage quite a turn of speed when need called.

As much as Rezel courteously detested the other man, he was grateful for the distraction. “Marshal Casir.” He fired off a crisp salute which Casir perfunctorily returned. “The Lady of Ten Thousand Years was... demonstrating... that a woman... could... fire a rifle. And she did so with all the flare and grace that we could expect from our sovereign lady. Long Live The Lady of Ten Thousand Years!”

“Were you, now?” Casir looked at Alessa, who had the good grace to look slightly abashed. “I believe that we should retire to the benches and leave your soldiers to get on with their job, if it would please the Lady of Ten Thousand Years to listen to this old man's advice.”

Alessa may not have been a soldier, but she was intelligent enough to recognize an order when she heard it. “Of course, Uncle.” She quietly replied, lowering her head for a moment. “I apologize for causing you trouble, Lieutenant.” She told the sergeant, who was still standing there in a state of shock.

“I at the moment only serve Lady of Ten Thousand Years as a sergeant, Lady of Ten Thousand Years.” He mumbled, not sure if anyone was even listening to him. The Empress appraised him for a few seconds, long enough to cause him to feel discomfort, and then she reached up and kissed him gently on his cheek, brushing close enough to let the scent of violets wash over his nose.

“Well, thank you for your time, Captain.” She said, cheerfully enough, walking away, leaving the man in even worse shock than he had been before. “Carry on!” Her bodyguards followed her, all of them watching in all directions for a moment of danger, and all of them now probably wondering how to transfer to an easier assignment in the colonies, as this had turned out to be much harder than expected.

Casir and Rezel may have been enemies, both for imperial favor, in terms of their basic ideologies, and even on personal distaste for one another. But they both, at that moment, were united in absolute appalment. “I didn't even see it coming,” Rezel muttered under his breath. “She dropped down onto the parade-ground and was off before I could try to stop her.”

“No blame attaches to you. The Empress will as she wills.” Casir stroked his short beard, trying to recover an equilibirum punctured by him arriving at the field to find his niece standing in the field with a rifle and no apparent idea how to use it. He took a deep breath, and pointed at one of the hovering aides. “You. Get our new captain a uniform, find him a command, and...” The newly promoted officer slowly crumpled to the ground, hand still on his cheek, “And for the Light's Sake, book him some rest leave. I think he's earned it.”
Last edited by Roania on Sat Jun 08, 2013 2:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

New Naggoroth
Envoy

Founded: Nov 21, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby New Naggoroth » Sun Jun 09, 2013 4:13 pm

It was getting into mid afternoon by the time the car had finally arrived at Drakharn manor, and deposited the young lieutenant home. The trip across town from the spaceport was slow and tedious, and made all the longer by the detour required by her father.

Casir had important work that needed tending to, so he had been dropped off first at the city barracks and parade ground. The crackling sounds of rifle fire and shouted orders filled the air outside the drill yard, and Scarlet couldn't help but sigh wistfully when the car pulled away. She was already starting to miss her friends back at boot, some of whom she wasn't when she would get to see again. At least she would get to see her sister and mother again; this was probably the longest the three had ever spent apart, which would make the next year all the harder.

Aeselle had gone on ahead in her own car, and was waiting for her inside the hall, as the wind had started to pick up and clouds rolled in from the east. Her sister Ellenith was with her, and though her mother wore her usual long, if at least this time unusually plain, dress of crimson and gold that brushed her ankles, Elly was wore a slim white shift that, provocatively, barely reached mid-thigh.

"Mourning for me already, sister?" Scarlet said with a dark chuckle as she dropped her bag inside the door, commenting on her sister being drssed in white, the colour of one wears to a funeral back home. "Elly. A pleasure to see you, as always," she continued as she embraced her sibling and gave her a kiss on the cheek.

"I'm merely experimenting with a thing called fashion. You migt have head of it. Oh, and nice uniform. I didn't realize they made them in petite girly-girl sizes." Elly smirked and stuck her tounge out at her sister, who lauged and returned the favour.

"Well we're both glad that you're home, aren't we Elly?" Aeselle spoke softly, half in jest as she watched the twins tease each other. "Now lets sit and catch up. I can hardly remember the last time it's just been the three of us. And the tea should be ready by now."

The three sat and talked together well in the early evening, each of them with stories about what had been happening in the last six months. Scarlet hadn't been the only one away, after all; Elly had spent most of that time scouting prospective grad schools on Earth, and stories of her own to share too.

When Aeselle took her turn to talk about life at court, she mentioned that the Empress, their cousin, was eager to see them both too. "She's actually invited us all for brunch tomorrow. I hope you remembered to pack your dress uniform, dear?"

Alarm bells went off in Scarlet's head. "This isn't going to be a casual thing, is it?"

"No, I'm afraid plenty of the local senior officers will be in attendance too."

"So much for shore leave..."
New Naggoroth factbook

Roania
Ambassador

Postby Roania » Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:48 pm

The order, once Casir had made it, was swift in being carried out. As he had already recalled the Solontian delegation and its women to the capital, the person he had in mind was fairly close to hand. Runners were sent to their quarters to fetch Gran Squall. “...A strange name, that.” The Roanian said to her once she had been escorted to his office.

Casir lived well, and worked better. His office was vast, taking up a whole side of this floor of the palace, overlooking both the gardens below and the city in the distance. He leaned on his cane and looked out at it, not turning to look back at the segonune. She was an unusual sight, but he had seen far more in a life far longer than hers. After a few minutes of careful explanation of Alessa's misadventure earlier that day, the Banner-General finally explained why he had summoned her. “The records of your people indicate a certain skill in education, especially martial education. If our Empress is to insist on taking part in such things, I would prefer if someone I can trust would be involved in ensuring she does not endanger herself or anyone around her. My own people are unsuitable as most of them would be quite prepared to let her fire at random into a crowd. I turn to you, then, Captain, to supply an aide.”

His voice, of course, barely betrayed his sheer indignation and fury, but Gran no doubt could pick up on exactly how angry he was. “And once you have selected it, I have another task for you, personally.”
Last edited by Roania on Sat Jun 29, 2013 7:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Solont
Envoy

Founded: May 04, 2009
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Solont » Wed Jul 03, 2013 4:54 pm

Admiral Squall listened patiently as Casir explained the circumstances surrounding the Empress. She'd heard rumors and murmurings of the stunt she'd pulled on the firing range, but had not known many confirmed details prior to the rather impromptu meeting now taking place. Grabbing a rifle without knowing how to use it. It was a move Gran would have described as 'bone-headed,' but she supposed it wasn't entirely unexpected; someone who had never been educated about firearms wouldn't know their dangers. The incident also presented a unique opportunity. If Alessa could be taught to shoot properly, it would demonstrate to her Chiefs of Staff – those 'fat, arrogant fools,' as Gran preferred to call them – that a woman could learn the skills necessary to be a soldier.

“As a matter of fact, General,” Gran said as she leant forward and templed her fingers, “I already have someone in mind. Someone you're already familiar with.” She pulled a pen-shaped holo-tablet from her pocket, summoned a screen displaying the service record of Faren Greizon, and passed it across the desk to Casir for his perusal. Many sections of Faren's history had been blacked out, as one would expect of a soldier of his unique circumstance, but Casir saw that he had spent more than one tour of duty as a special instructor for SDF Space Infantry. “I can guess the objections forming in your mind already, Casir,” Gran said, “but let me allay them right now. There will be no more diplomatic incidences or cultural faux pas like the one he committed on our arrival. His behavior will be perfect. The Empress's safety will be his primary concern, and he has the talent and the patience necessary to ensure that your regent learns what she needs to. And, quite frankly, he's the best we have on short notice.” Gran leaned back in her chair, feeling rather assured of the rightness of her decision. “If you prefer, we could have someone with more experience arrive in a few weeks, or I could have Lieutenant Colonel Greizon here by the end of the day. Either way, I can guarantee that you will not be disappointed.

With that said, Gran leaned forward, rested her elbows on Casir's desk, and matched his gaze. “Is that agreeable to you, General? If so, I'm curious to know what favor you could want from me.”

Roania
Ambassador

Postby Roania » Mon Aug 26, 2013 12:51 pm

"Ah... yes, of course." Casir staggered to the desk and collapsed into his seat, letting his cane rest on the chair's arm. He then picked up a glass of tea that had been waiting for him, and looked into the mists and steam swirling about it. For a long, long moment, he was silent. When he spoke, his voice came from a long way away. "Your service record is... exemplary, and the nation of Solont is deserving of our respect. And, indeed, anyone who rises as high as you have in their service is also deserving of our respect and esteem. This alone is enough to explain why you have been permitted to enter the sacred precincts and why I have chosen to speak to you of Her Majesty's... indiscretion. And yet... this also causes me great problems, as I must ask you to choose between two insults, lest all that I have worked for with your aid come to nothing."

"Her Majesty... Her Majesty is in an unusual position, to you, perhaps. She could no doubt remove all blocks to my ends in an instant. At her word, the floodgates could be opened and women permitted to enlist with no check or thought. And yet... she does not, because she does not understand, and it seems unlikely that any number of explanations will permit her to understand, because were explanation alone enough to change the course of history, many men who have died would have lived. It is perhaps better that Her Majesty think that it is better to wait for knowledge, but... forgive me, I ramble. The problem with mere explanation is they rely on two people agreeing on the same argument, and Her Majesty is nothing but willing to listen. The problem we face is that there are two arguments within her councils. The first, that women are incapable of being soldiers, has been defeated." He nodded to Gran. "Indeed, it was always a poor fight."

"The second argument... is more disgusting, but more pernicious. I have not yet thought in how to defeat it, this... falsehood. For the idea that women cannot be soldiers is dead, and in its place the more... reprehensible sections of our society... have raised a new banner, that soldiers cannot be women. Ordinarily, I would dismiss this without giving it any consideration, yet... such argument has caught the ear of those with influence over Her Majesty, who is herself keenly aware of her own perceived... lapses. Our society places value upon many things in a woman, and very few of them are considered, in the minds of my opponents, to be compatible with what we value in our soldiers."

"So. Our problem. Or, rather, the problem between you and the Grand Vizier, whose twisted mind perceives in you a weakness that our opponents may use to hammer our plans and designs." Casir lowered the tea, and stroked his beard, giving Gran a close look. "You are, indeed, an exemplar of martial skill. The men who call themselves our admirals would have much to learn from you. Unfortunately, according to our society's standards, your records mark you as a... a..." The Marshal hesitated, and his grip on his beard tightened as he considered his next words thoughtfully. "A poor example of our society's ideals of womanhood. That very few of our women match fully to this ideal is irrelevant; many of them feel like Her Majesty does, that their so-called 'failure' is something to resolve as swiftly as possible, not something merely to accept or that they hope will change with the fullness of time."

Casir sighed. "The Grand Vizier, whose hatred for his enemies in his drive for modernity is matched only with his disregard for moral checks, has thus ordered I make a request of you. I would never do so otherwise, but part of that which separates men from the crawling chaos is a recognition of authority duly constituted, and even were he and I not nominally aligned in this matter, I would obey. Would you be willing to permit us to alter your records within our systems to provide you with a husband and family?"

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates