NATION

PASSWORD

Arva Carin, Dean of Students (sign up OOC open to all)

Where nations come together and discuss matters of varying degrees of importance. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Gehenna Tartarus
Minister

Founded: Antiquity
Corporate Police State

Postby Gehenna Tartarus » Mon Oct 08, 2012 5:08 pm

Amy was glad that although Alar seemed to come from one of the strangest nations with the weirdest ideas, he was still a normal person underneath all that baggage. His joke was awful but she laughed at it anyway, that was what future friends were for, after all. When he had first introduced himself, she had wondered why a guy would want to go in a school in Macureus, but once she had learnt a little about his own nation, she was surprised he had not run away sooner. Trying to put a ban on emotions was the craziest thing she had heard in a long time, and she was impressed that the young man had been able to see the flaws in the plan. Maybe someone sensible would eventually take over New Macureus and let people live without fear of psych evaluations.

“Well, maybe if they show movies around here, perhaps we could go see a comedy or something,” she said, giving him a grin. Of course, she had no idea what kind of things Macureans liked to watch or if they even allowed movies. It was something they could find out during their stay. “I don’t really know that much about Old Mac either. Other than you two used to be one nation, way back when. Or we could probably download a movie or borrow one from someone,” she added with a shrug.

She could not help but laugh as he started to eat his food, she was almost under the impression that he had not eaten for weeks. “You must really like that,” she exclaimed with a huge grin.
Nation name: The Empire of Tartarus
Nationality: Tartarian

Ruler: Her Imperial Majesty, Gehenna, Empress of Tartarus

New Macureus
Envoy

Founded: Mar 14, 2011
Ex-Nation

Alar Darin

Postby New Macureus » Tue Oct 09, 2012 12:25 am

"That and I am hungry. One hears of something called 'table manners' from foreign media, but it is utterly alien in New Macureus. Food is fuel and consumed at maximum efficiency. Not much emphasis on seasonings, flavors, etc. It is allowed about satiation and nutrition, not taste or pleasure. One of the things I admit that our Old Mac brethren have over us. I have to admit that their cuisine is quite the improvement over the bland stuff we eat back home. Though my stomach might not agree with it later, given its richness," he laughed at himself.

"What about Tartarian food? What is that like?" he asked after eating a bit of the lobster.
When marrying, ask yourself this question: Do you believe that you will be able to converse well with this person into your old age? Everything else in marriage is transitory. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Bisexual, polyamorous, married, atheist, center-right Republican. Yes, I'm an odd sort of fellow. Get over it.

Cicunda
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 29, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cicunda » Tue Oct 09, 2012 1:52 am

Vanessa pushed the chair backwards, standing up and placing it back under the table. Even if Cican's table manners were foreign to other countries, at least they knew how to be respectful of others. She turned around, walking out the door, slamming it behind her. Not knowing she was walking past windows, she took off the dress, and tied up her hair, revealing a young-ish man.

May as well leave. Not like i'll get anywhere here.

He thought to himself as he paced towards the school exit. There was no point being a woman, and no point being here if you were a man. He threw the dress onto the ground in anger, and moved faster towards the gate.
Cicunda is a Tribal Nation. We are family minded spiritual people. We don't care what you look like, where you're from, or what you belive in... Be nice and you'll be treated the same we'd treat eachother. :)

Currency: Cii
Airport: Cicunda's only airport, Gabb Island International Airport. (link down below)
Transport: Ships to/from Port Anderson, Planes to/from Gabb Island International Airport, Trains and Buses inside Cicunda. All cars are banned. Bikes are allowed, but quite an unpleasant distance to ride, take it from us.

We are friends with all. :)

CiTrans Cicunda storefront - Transport and Logistic Solutions!
Gabb Island International Airport!

Gehenna Tartarus
Minister

Corporate Police State

Postby Gehenna Tartarus » Thu Oct 11, 2012 6:16 pm

Amy did not want to offend Alar, after all, he was the only person who had spoken to her since she had arrived in Macureus, but she did find his nation rather odd and amusing at the same time. “So, your parents – especially your mother – never said things like ‘don’t eat with your fingers, use your fork’ or ‘stop playing with your food and just eat it’?” She asked, putting on funny voice that she always used when talking like her mother. It did not sound anything like her but it was high, whining and annoying, which was how her mother always sounded to her when she was complaining about something.

If Alar’s food was normally as bland as he seemed to be suggesting, she could understand why he was wolfing his food down, but it was not like he did not have a whole school year to make the most of it. “You probably should take it easy if you are not used to it,” she advised, not that she was a food expert, but she had been really ill on one holiday when she was eating things she was not used to. “It’s not like that’s the only dinner you’re going to have during your stay, although you might not get lobster every day.

She gave his question a little thought. “There are all kind of things, some spicy, those tend to be my favourite, I like food with a little kick, you know? Some things are kind of bland, but then that might just be my mother’s cooking. She’s not exactly chef material. I guess we kind of have some of our own food but we’ve integrated other nations’ cuisine too. No point limiting yourself right? My mother loves mint tea, something I’ve heard they drink in New Edom. Yuck, I cannot stand the stuff. Tastes like poison with mint to taste.”

New Macureus
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Alar Darin

Postby New Macureus » Fri Oct 12, 2012 1:00 am

"Funny how different our customs are, but I can still picture this. Probably because I've seen it in movies and TV series. The whole manners thing is viewed as rather alien, but still fascinating. I suppose that you do speak sense where that whole matter is concerned pertaining to the food. I am just acting like a starved man. It probably smacks of too much enthusiasm, another trait that is supposedly shunned by our society.....and yet it exists. Funny how that works," he grinned and blushed, realizing how silly he might sound.

All that considered, manners were really a strange, foreign notion, one of many reasons why Old-Macs and New Macs didn't last long in marriage to each other. They tended to annoy each other much in the same way as eccentric relatives.

"So are there any distinct Tartarian customs having to do with feasts and food? Any holidays, come to think of it?"

Again, genuine curiosity.
When marrying, ask yourself this question: Do you believe that you will be able to converse well with this person into your old age? Everything else in marriage is transitory. - Friedrich Nietzsche

Bisexual, polyamorous, married, atheist, center-right Republican. Yes, I'm an odd sort of fellow. Get over it.

Gehenna Tartarus
Minister

Corporate Police State

Postby Gehenna Tartarus » Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:20 pm

“Well, I have always thought that some manners were more important than others,” Amy replied, as she nibbled on a bit of lobster. Saying please and thank you were ones that she hated people not using, but using fingers to eat things that were difficult to pick up with a fork were sometimes a little petty. “Personally, as long as you don’t do something that would offend someone on purpose, I think you should be able to do what you want. If you want to eat fast that is up to you and if people are offended, they don’t have to watch, right?”

As Alar described how he was supposed to behave in his nation, she could not help wondering if the people in charge were trying to turn their people into mindless robots. Don’t have joke, don’t love, don’t do anything but have sex and wash your hands afterwards. She broke into a little giggle at her thoughts, but stopped by the time she had finished taking a bite of another piece of food.

“Tartarian customs about food,” she said, as she gave some thought to it. “The Sommer-Sonnenwende usually comes with a dinner, a little like some people have at Christmas. Do you celebrate Christmas, by the way? That is a big holiday, parades and that kind of thing and the Empress always makes an appearance, and there are fireworks and things like that. There is a weird pineapple day thing, when everyone is supposed to eat pineapples, although I think that is one of those crazy special days that are promoted by pineapple growers or something. I like pineapples, but I don’t know why they have their own day.”

Macureus
Envoy

Founded: Aug 16, 2009
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Arva Carin, Dean of Students

Postby Macureus » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:20 pm

As dinner wrapped up, Arva called them to attention.

"Ladies and gentlemen, thank you for coming to this dinner and indeed to this school. I hope that this will help develop better relations with all of your countries in the future, and that all of you will be better citizens of your homelands for it. Thank you again, and please now finish your meals and file out to your dorms. We hope that your supper was pleasant. Thank you and good night," she announced.

With that, she had the staff to begin closing up shop for the night. Existing food could be eaten up, but nothing new would be served for that night.

It was a way to get the place ready for the next morning's breakfast, which would come soon enough.
Socially quite liberal, economically a bit more authoritarian. Not a fan of organized religion or traditional family values or the present social order. You've been warned.
"Audacity, audacity, this day, audacity, forever audacity!" - Georges Danton
"It is with regret that we pronounce the fatal truth. Louis must die so that France may live." - Maximilien Robespierre
"I did not seize the crown. I found it in the gutter and picked it up." - Napoleon Bonaparte

New Macureus
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Alar Darin

Postby New Macureus » Sun Oct 14, 2012 9:26 pm

"I guess that's us, too. It has been a pleasure. If you need a study partner, I'll more than interested. Something tells me that we foreigners will need to stick together, though admittedly as a New Mac I'll have the easiest time of all. It's not that difficult to adjust, other than to open emotions and a general tendency to favor your sex's perspective on things," Alar smiled at Amy.

He genuinely found her attractive and intelligent, after all....as strange as she was, with her lack of emotional discipline. Then again, that was refreshing, since that very discipline could be a bit stifling.

"Maybe I should visit Tartarus some time. Your customs have their attractive side, and that's not the only thing from Tartarus that does," he grinned devilishly.

Late Roman Empire
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 11, 2011
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Junius Proculus

Postby Late Roman Empire » Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:30 am

The Dean's announcement gave Junius very little time to reply, but he did his level best.

"Well, to answer your query prior to returning to the dorms, let me just say that the Empire is now nominally egalitarian, but we have very few high-ranking officers of state, whether civil or military. We have few female CEOs, either. However, we do have our first female consul and our first female Imperial Relief Officer and Imperial State Secretary.

"Anyway, I suppose we have to get going. Nice to meet you, Lana. Let's talk again. Maybe study together. Maybe just chat or hang out here or somewhere else. Or just see each other around the dorms, since they're co-ed. How will that work with showers, by the way? You're an RA...well, never mind, I guess that I'll find out soon," he grinned in his usual friendly manner...concealing the inner torment that was his life as a Mormon in the Empire, a Saint in Babylon....and now here, in another strange country.

At least he'd made a friend or two while here....
"I swear by Almighty God that I will faithfully serve and obey the Divine Augustus, as our Lord and Master, and hold him alone as my true, dread sovereign and prince. I swear that I will serve him loyally until the hour of my death, on pain of damnation to my eternal soul." - the Imperial Oath of Allegiance (administered to the civil service and armed forces)

Woe to they who demand things of the Lord of the World, for he is neither so obliged nor amused.

Gehenna Tartarus
Minister

Corporate Police State

Postby Gehenna Tartarus » Wed Oct 17, 2012 12:01 pm

Dinner seemed to be over a lot quicker than Amy had been expecting, but she was having fun and there was that whole saying about time flying. She had been a little worried about going to school abroad, mostly because she was worried that she would not have anything in common with any of the other students, but she was surprisingly pleased to discover that she had made one friend already. She had been anticipating maybe befriending a girl first, someone that hopefully would think she was not just being nice because she was a sex addict and needed a fix, but Alar was friendly and although there was a possibility that they could one day find themselves tussling under the covers, he was also willing to be a friend. There was nothing worse when you could tell all that a guy wanted was an invite into your knickers, especially in the first few minutes.

“A study partner would be great,” she said, as she finished up her meal and emptied her glass. “And maybe sometimes, we could go see a movie or dine together. There is nothing worse than being a lonely stranger in a foreign country.” She hoped that he did not think that she was using him, as she actually found him pleasant and interesting, and she really did think that they could be good friends. “And I would love to know more about New Mac, just because it makes Tartarus sound positively normal,” she added with a grin.

Getting up from her seat, she felt her cheeks warming up a little at his compliment, not that she was really a blushing violet, who pinked up at every nice thing said to her, but she had not been expecting it, so it had caught her off-guard. “If you ever come to Tartarus, I would love to be your guide. There are some interesting places to see and things to do. Summer is always the best time to come, especially around the Summer Solstice, when there are lots of local and national events going on.”

New Macureus
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Alar Darin

Postby New Macureus » Thu Oct 18, 2012 9:53 am

"Funny thing, it is normal to me, but I can see how it might seem otherwise to someone from outside of New Macureus. In any case, it sounds intriguing and I would like to see a place where nobles, commoners, and all that kind of grandeur, simply because sounds so historic and also so alien to the very modern and sometimes extremely utilitarian society that is New Macureus. I am used to it, as I said, but even I find it strange at times," he smiled at her as he headed back to the dorm.

"Your other ideas sound nice, too. Studying, dates, that sort of thing. Not that we date as such in New Macureus, but maybe you can teach what that's like, later on, if you become more comfortable with me. I've only seen it in foreign cinema and such."

Gehenna Tartarus
Minister

Corporate Police State

Postby Gehenna Tartarus » Thu Oct 18, 2012 6:11 pm

“Oh, I know,” Amy said, laughing a little. “I’m sure if you came to Tartarus, you would think the place was abnormal. It’s what you grow up with and get used to. I mean, even Macureus is odd, with this whole matriarchal thing going on. And New Edom with that whole nude thing and Nalaya with all those cannibals. I don’t think that there is one normal place out there. But the one we know best will always feel the most normal. Could you imagine eating another person?” It was a random question, but it was sparked by her comment and she did have a habit of jumping topics like that.

“Yeah, I like those idea too, but I cannot believe that you have never dated,” she continued, once more giggling at the idea. She hoped she did not offend him, but their worlds really were different. “Well, dating is just going to dinner, or to a movie, but with the prospect of some kissing, holding hands and possibly some making out. I’m sure you do all those things back in New Mac, right? But we could probably go on one just so you can see what one is like. And even if we don’t become comfortable with each other or we find out that we are incompatible, we can do it in the name of education.” She winked at him playfully.

New Macureus
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Alar Darin

Postby New Macureus » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:46 pm

"Oddly enough, dating is a foreign concept. Sex is easily attained, physical affection in the more emotive sense is avoided, marriage is largely for convenience, and food can be shared with anyone without any amorous connotations. There is simply none of the usual motives for dating. However, in the interests of cultural studies, I wouldn't be opposed at some point. But no pressure, of course. You'll make a good friend or something more, but whatever you and I become, it has to be what makes sense to both of us, not just one of us.

"One thing that we do excel at it in New Macureus is platonic friendships with either sex. Relationships are not automatically assumed to be romantic or even sexual, so a man and woman can be friends and hang out for years without a single advance. If one is made, it can be rebuffed and they can return to normal without missing a step. It's just understood that such things are not always mutual, so people handle rejection better in New Macureus than most places, from what I can tell. Then again, maybe I'm too quick to judge foreign societies based on your cinema.

"As for visiting Tartarus, I would love to have my own personal tour guide, thank you very much. What's it like, by the way, to have a monarchy? I've never lived in one, so I have no real concept of what that must mean for the average person on the street," Alar changed topics as he headed to the dorm.

He didn't want to dwell on sex and relationships. Those things would resolve themselves. New Macureans excelled at being nonchalant about them. He had other things to discuss, too, with his new Tartarian friend. She was truly the first Tartarian he had ever met, in fact, so it was quite the culture clash.
Last edited by New Macureus on Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:47 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Saurisisia
Post Czar

Founded: Jan 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Saurisisia » Fri Oct 19, 2012 8:58 pm

By the time the Dean made her announcement, Elisae was finished with her meal and had been busy reading her book. Sighing, the Dragoness got up, cradling the book as she prepared to leave. She overheard the other students continuing with their conversations and that made her remember something. Raising her hand, she spoke up to the Dean, "Excuse me, ma'am. I- I do not know which dorm I shall stay in?"
Last edited by Saurisisia on Fri Oct 19, 2012 9:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Autistic, Christian, Capitalist, Libertarian
Don't wish to display my sexuality for all to see because I don't care about what sexuality someone is
Make Tea, Not Love
Proud Yankee Monarchist
DA Account
https://dragcave.net/user/Bellumsaur13
Things in our country run in spite of government, not by aid of it. - Will Rogers
This nation reflects my RL beliefs and values (for the most part, anyway)
P/MT: The United Provinces of Saurisia
FT: The Federal Systems Republic of Saurisia
MT FT Embassy
ANTHRO AND A MEMBER OF THE MULTI-SPECIES UNION!

My nation's dominated by talking Dinosaurs, there is no realism (because ultra-realism is SO boring)
Dinosaurs rule!
I am Scaly and I am proud!

Gehenna Tartarus
Minister

Corporate Police State

Postby Gehenna Tartarus » Sat Oct 20, 2012 7:35 pm

“Sex without dating,” Amy said, in mock surprise and then laughed. “I don’t want you to get in trouble or anything, but you seriously do need to experience dating and maybe even love, though I cannot promise to be able to help with that part. But, you know, if the chance comes along, you should give it ago.” She wrinkled her face in thought for a moment. “Although, I’m not sure how you can show someone how to fall in love, it kind of just happens. I’m sure if it is going to happen it will and I suppose you just don’t fight it, or something.”

She walked along for a moment in thought, before speaking again. “You know, I have male friends too, back at home, and I’ve never even considered dating them. I’ve known one of them so long, it would be like dating my brother and well…eww, I don’t even want to imagine that.” She playfully shuddered and giggled at the thought, then hoped that that was something they did not do in New Macureus, because she really did not want to insult Adar.

“What’s it like to live in with a monarchy?” she said, shrugging a little. “I guess it’s interesting. I’ve not lived with anything but a monarchy, so it’s kind of hard to compare. We get some great pictures of our royals in fancy clothing, wearing crowns, waving and all that kind of thing.” She laughed. “I guess it’s not all bad.”

New Macureus
Envoy

Ex-Nation

Alar Darin

Postby New Macureus » Sun Oct 21, 2012 9:53 am

"That is a bit more ceremony and ritual than I am used to, but it might be fascinating to observe, if I should happen to visit. I will think about what you said, but one should bear in mind that dating just doesn't exist back home. If I dated anyone, even as an experiment, it would be a rather limited selection. Few of the women of my country would go along with it and New Macs traditionally don't have much to do with Old Mac in terms of such relationships, due to past and present differences of ideology and such.

"As for marrying or sleeping with close relatives, no thanks here, either. We know too much about the genetic damage caused by endogamy to even contemplate practicing it. It's the curse of too much knowledge, perhaps. No false hopes of avoiding bad things like that," Alar said as they finally reached the dorm.

"Anyway, I hope that we have the same classes, or at least some of them. It would be nice to study with you, as you seem a smart girl. Here we are, each to our rooms, I guess," Alar concluded, bowing slightly in the New Macurean manner (forget shaking hands and such, due to germs).

"It's been nice meeting you, Amy," he smiled, hoping that she agreed.

Gehenna Tartarus
Minister

Corporate Police State

Postby Gehenna Tartarus » Mon Oct 22, 2012 11:59 am

Amy could totally understand how alien Tartarus would be to someone from New Macureus, just as she could see that if she ever stepped in New Macureus she would be sent for regular psych referrals. But despite their differences, Amy believed that she and Alar could be good friends. Perhaps one day they would realise they were more than friends, buts she was not someone who dwelt on what might happen when there was other things to do, like enjoying herself in a foreign land and meeting new people.

“We’ll see what happens with the whole dating experiment,” she replied with a grin. “You might just have to focus on people not from Old or New Mac, right?” She looked at the other students, there were a few pleasant girls around if nothing happened between them.

“And yes, hopefully we have things to study together, but if not, we can still go to the library and sit with each other. That way we don’t look like a ‘billy no mates’.” She laughed at the idea. “And it has been very nice to meet you too, Alar.” She was not really a hand shaking person and although the bow was kind of odd to her, it dawned on her why he did it, so she made certain not to touch him in any fashion. “See you for breakfast.”

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to NationStates