NATION

PASSWORD

The Branding Rule

For discussing a long-overdue overhaul of the Assembly's legislative protocols.
Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

The Branding Rule

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Mon May 04, 2015 1:37 pm

Branding

Limited branding is allowed. "Limited" means that you may list your co-author by nation name only. Example:

"Co-authored by The Most Glorious Hack"

Further branding will result in the Proposal being deleted. Don't list everyone who posted in the thread for your draft, don't list yourself, don't list your Minister Of Making Proposals, and don't post the 'pre-title' of the co-author (ie: "The Republic Of..."). This includes creating nations that have the same name as your region or group and using them to promote your region or group. It also includes using the name of a nation, region or group as an acrostic or acronym in a proposal. If you are using the [nation] tag to list your co-author make sure you are using the short version ([nation=short] or [nation=short+noflag]).
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri May 08, 2015 5:58 pm

First round discussion bump.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

Kaboomlandia
Negotiator

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaboomlandia » Fri May 08, 2015 6:12 pm

Happy to kick this off!

What I would suggest is a choice between:
  • two co-authors, in short form
  • one co-author, in long form - unless the signature is something of Mall/Mouse/Sedge length.
Last edited by Kaboomlandia on Fri May 08, 2015 6:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
In=character, Kaboomlandia is a World Assembly member and abides by its resolutions. If this nation isn't in the WA, it's for practical reasons.
Author of GA #371 and SC #208, #214, #226, #227, #230, #232
Co-Author of SC #204
"Insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result."
Only two things are infinite, the universe and human stupidity, and I'm not sure about the former."

"Your legitimacy, Kaboom, has melted away in my eyes. I couldn't have believed that only a shadow of your once brilliant WA career remains."

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri May 08, 2015 6:18 pm

Kaboomlandia wrote:Happy to kick this off!

• one co-author, in long form - unless the signature is something of Mall/Mouse/Sedge length.

Why do you think this is superior to the current rule?

I am going to advocate doing away with the Branding rule in its entirety. If players want to waste characters listing ten coauthors I say we let the voters punish them for it. Alternatively it may allow for greater cooperation on proposals. Additionally if players wish to state their own name ten times in a proposal I think that such proposals will be weeded out at vote or in the queue.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Fri May 08, 2015 6:53 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:

I am going to advocate doing away with the Branding rule in its entirety. If players want to waste characters listing ten coauthors I say we let the voters punish them for it. Alternatively it may allow for greater cooperation on proposals. Additionally if players wish to state their own name ten times in a proposal I think that such proposals will be weeded out at vote or in the queue.

*raises DISAGREE placard*

I say stick with the current rules of one. The SC non-limit really makes it a circle jerk where they can say the entire region did a contribution or whatnot.

Given that the main purpose of this rule is to put emphasis on the bill rather than the string of names, I really do think this slightly conservative rule is needed to ensure sanity.
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri May 08, 2015 6:57 pm

Elke and Elba wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Why do you think this is superior to the current rule?

I say stick with the current rules of one. The SC non-limit really makes it a circle jerk where they can say the entire region did a contribution or whatnot.

Given that the main purpose of this rule is to put emphasis on the bill rather than the string of names, I really do think this slightly conservative rule is needed to ensure sanity.
What do you see as being wrong with regions being credited for proposals if they have contributed?
Ideological Bulwark #253

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Fri May 08, 2015 7:00 pm

Kaboomlandia wrote:[*]one co-author, in long form - unless the signature is something of Mall/Mouse/Sedge length.[/list]

First off, I believe you mean "pre-title" not signature (and considering how one obtains an exceedingly long pre-title it's unlikely that that would ever be a problem). But I do have a question about this idea. Why should a co-author get their pre-title on the resolution, when the author doesn't?
Mallorea and Riva wrote:

Oh to be young and naive again instead of bitter and jaded like I am now. I honestly don't share your optimism that the voters or the delegates would weed those out. Heck I can remember one particular delegate who would literally approve every proposal in the queue, you could have two diametrically opposite proposals right next to each other and his approval would be on both of them. As for the voters, well, there's a reason I coined the term "Lemming Vote" during the vote on Promotion of Solar Panels (and created the UN Card for it), even the author of that resolution realizing that it had problems that needed to be addressed couldn't stop the tide of "Yes" votes that pushed it through, necessitating it's repeal 2 resolutions later (and if i remember correctly, the only reason Labeling Standards is even between the two is because it was already at quorum when the voting on Promotion os Solar Panels ended).

Mallorea and Riva wrote:What do you see as being wrong with regions being credited for proposals if they have contributed?

And how often does an entire region contribute to a GA proposal?

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Fri May 08, 2015 7:01 pm

@Mall: It's a form of regional advertising. Players already have plenty of resources to pimp their regions; adding WA proposals to the mix doesn't help things. Some groups such as ACCEL were quite shameless in the way they used repeals as a recruitment device.
Last edited by Omigodtheykilledkenny on Fri May 08, 2015 7:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Elke and Elba
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Fri May 08, 2015 7:07 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Elke and Elba wrote:

What do you see as being wrong with regions being credited for proposals if they have contributed?

The problem is that most if not all of the time, such regions haven't contributed significantly. We see this all the time in the SC, where the region's name in the proposal only seeks to claim legitimacy of the proposal since it had been consulted with the natives.

We have a similar precedent in the WA I believe, with regards to Cultural Site Preservation which was once submitted by the Osiris WA Office and dinged for it. This was despite that Osiris as a whole didn't contribute to the bill, but was more for "promoting WA activity in the region" so to speak.

Furthermore, I think if one isn't able to write a few thousand characters proposal without the help of ten advisers, I don't think that person should write in the first place. Nor do I think it is good for the WA in the long run as people solicit the ten largest regions by WA delegate votes count to bargain a vote for with a name on the proposal.
Last edited by Elke and Elba on Fri May 08, 2015 7:08 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri May 08, 2015 7:11 pm

Elke and Elba wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote: What do you see as being wrong with regions being credited for proposals if they have contributed?

The problem is that most if not all of the time, such regions haven't contributed significantly. We see this all the time in the SC, where the region's name in the proposal only seeks to claim legitimacy of the proposal since it had been consulted with the natives.

We have a similar precedent in the WA I believe, with regards to Cultural Site Preservation which was once submitted by the Osiris WA Office and dinged for it. This was despite that Osiris as a whole didn't contribute to the bill, but was more for "promoting WA activity in the region" so to speak.

Furthermore, I think if one isn't able to write a few thousand characters proposal without the help of ten advisers, I don't think that person should write in the first place. Nor do I think it is good for the WA in the long run as people solicit the ten largest regions by WA delegate votes count to bargain a vote for with a name on the proposal.

Right but why do you think that? How is politicking somehow bad for the GA?
Ideological Bulwark #253

Elke and Elba
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Fri May 08, 2015 7:19 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Elke and Elba wrote:

Right but why do you think that? How is politicking somehow bad for the GA?

*sigh* It's not just about politicking. It's about regional advertising like what Kenny said (something which is beyond annoying - see Gradea's Archmont post in every other thread), and jamming up the proposals chock full of names which is unsightly.

We're here to pass proposals. Not here to write a phonebook.

Anyway, if this is the response a mod's going to give (I have my own beliefs, you must convince me of yours rather than being impartial and taking in all opinions before forming my own), I believe this discussion is dead upon arrival. There's no point talking to someone who is dead on sure that he wants the branding rule to be gone (and ignores all the other valid comments from other players).

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Fri May 08, 2015 7:21 pm

Elke and Elba wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Right but why do you think that? How is politicking somehow bad for the GA?

*sigh* It's not just about politicking. It's about regional advertising like what Kenny said (something which is beyond annoying - see Gradea's Archmont post in every other thread), and jamming up the proposals chock full of names which is unsightly.

Anyway, if this is the response a mod's going to give (I have my own beliefs, you must convince me of yours rather than being impartial and taking in all opinions before forming my own), I believe this discussion is dead upon arrival. There's no point talking to someone who is dead on sure that he wants the branding rule to be gone (and ignores all the other valid comments from other players).

I have my opinions and I'm questioning yours, just as you have every right to question mine. You all wanted mod input into the discussion, you're going to get it. And you'll see that we don't all share the same opinion, so to assume that this discussion is DOA is rather strange.
Ideological Bulwark #253

Flibbleites
Retired Moderator

Founded: Jan 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Flibbleites » Fri May 08, 2015 7:25 pm

Elke and Elba wrote:
Mallorea and Riva wrote:Right but why do you think that? How is politicking somehow bad for the GA?

Luckily he's not the only mod, I for one, am strongly in favor of leaving the Branding rules just as they are.

Elke and Elba
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Fri May 08, 2015 7:27 pm

Mallorea and Riva wrote:
Elke and Elba wrote:

I have my opinions and I'm questioning yours, just as you have every right to question mine. You all wanted mod input into the discussion, you're going to get it. And you'll see that we don't all share the same opinion, so to assume that this discussion is DOA is rather strange.

The problem is that the entire time we have been giving you as to reasons as to why your view isn't as ideal as you might think, and what happens instead is that we are only given back questions that have been pretty much explained in many of our responses.

Mod input isn't about getting grilled, nor is our job to answer questions. Mod input is for YOU to make your own stance to rebut the stance of others through reasoned argument.

And it doesn't seem to be the case here. It's not a bloody examination. If mod input means only being quizzed, I don't really see the point of this "discussion" - especially so when being asked one lined questions at the end of a lengthy response - it is condescending and rude. There hasn't been any practical input from you in this topic except for your post re: Kaboomlandia.
Last edited by Elke and Elba on Fri May 08, 2015 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Frisbeeteria
Senior Game Moderator

Founded: Dec 16, 2003
Capitalizt

Postby Frisbeeteria » Fri May 08, 2015 8:00 pm

Historical note:

The Branding rule was my strong suggestion back when the first (or maybe second) Hack edits of the Enodian ruleset was being created. At the time, the proposal queue often ran 10+ pages, and the vast majority of proposals were really more about ego boosting than about any real international issues. A lot of them were little more than a regional promotion plus "... and oh yeah, let's ban abortion too" tacked on as an afterthought.

I pushed Hack into adding it so I could quickly reduce the queue down to a couple of pages with minimal reportage. Obviously, it was a mod workload thing, but I made the case that it was also a player readability issue. Only the most dedicated (or asinine) delegates would delve through 50 or more daily proposals, and the small bits of decent writing were often lost in the morass of crap. We gave in to player pressure to allow co-authors, but that's as far as we would bend.

The main thing I'm against here isn't co-authors. It's the florid prose from "The ExtraOrdinary Velvet Democracy of The Most Benevolent NationStan" and the signatures from "by the Grace of God and the Blessing of the Populous of Benevolent NationStan, His Most Royal Highness King Oliver St John-Mollusc IV". You remove the branding rule, and you open the floodgates to that sort of thing. Is that what you really want?

Mall, you never dealt with that issue as a player or as a mod. I think your reasons for dropping the rule are far outweighed by the benefits of leaving it in place.

Snefaldia
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 05, 2006
Ex-Nation

Postby Snefaldia » Fri May 08, 2015 8:12 pm

What about a compromise and allowing a region tag to be used, something like "authored by members of Western Atlantic? Or some formula that isn't obtrusive but still fills the desire to politic and peacock?
Welcome to Snefaldia!
Also the player behind: Kartlis & Sabaristan

NERVUN
Retired Moderator

Founded: Mar 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby NERVUN » Fri May 08, 2015 10:28 pm

Snefaldia wrote:What about a compromise and allowing a region tag to be used, something like "authored by members of Western Atlantic? Or some formula that isn't obtrusive but still fills the desire to politic and peacock?

I'd be interested in this.

Also, third in line to keep things from getting silly with Ambassador so-and-so's in them. Mostly because from my point of view, the GA is speaking to world legislation.
To those who feel, life is a tragedy. To those who think, it's a comedy.
"Men, today you'll be issued small trees. Do what you can for the emperor's glory." -Daistallia 2104 on bonsai charges in WWII
Science may provide the means while religion provides the motivation but humanity and humanity alone provides the vehicle -DaWoad

One-Stop Rules Shop, read it, love it, live by it. Getting Help Mod email: nervun@nationstates.net NSG Glossary
Add 10,145 to post count from Jolt: I have it from an unimpeachable source, that Dark Side cookies look like the Death Star. The other ones look like butterflies, or bunnies, or something.-Grave_n_Idle

Proud Member of FMGADHPAC. Join today!

Krioval
Minister

Founded: Jan 24, 2005
Ex-Nation

Postby Krioval » Fri May 08, 2015 10:44 pm

I seem to remember the current rule arising from trying to determine who counted as a "co-author" once drafting was complete. An author might not want to leave out any significant participants, and in the case of a truly collaborative project, that might include several co-authors. Then again, it might indicate that everybody involved in drafting and revision, no matter how minor the contribution, wanted to be included as a co-author. Thus the new rule made it mandatory that only one individual could be singled out as a co-author, and as I recall, that was a compromise position - originally, the idea was to eliminate the co-author credit altogether.

I think that the rule works sufficiently as it is. At the same time, I think that a single co-author could ostensibly be a region or an RP group. Expanding to multiple co-authors would likely reintroduce the issues that the current rule was implemented to resolve.

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Founded: Oct 19, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sat May 09, 2015 1:09 am

At the very least, could the use of nation and region tags be allowed? The Branding rule was written before those tags existed. True, the nation tag causes the full name of nation, pretitle and all, to be included, so perhaps relax that aspect too. But it seems silly to have this arbitrary rule to prevent the use of a tag system presumably designed to be useful to players.

Sedgistan
Site Director

Founded: Oct 20, 2006
Anarchy

Postby Sedgistan » Sat May 09, 2015 1:43 am

The SC has extremely loose rules on branding, and doesn't have a problem with people trying to list 10 co-authors or anything of the sort, so the talk of "opening the floodgates" is silly. I don't see why GAers wouldn't be similarly sensible.

Branding should be a matter of personal preference for voters, not a serious rules violation that gets a proposal deleted. Mods shouldn't be enforcing silly little regulations like this.

Snefaldia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Snefaldia » Sat May 09, 2015 2:35 am

Sedgistan wrote:The SC has extremely loose rules on branding, and doesn't have a problem with people trying to list 10 co-authors or anything of the sort, so the talk of "opening the floodgates" is silly. I don't see why GAers wouldn't be similarly sensible.

Branding should be a matter of personal preference for voters, not a serious rules violation that gets a proposal deleted. Mods shouldn't be enforcing silly little regulations like this.

The point of this "silly little regulation" was to address a problem that was actually experienced, not a hypothetical Security Council test case. I think the WA has enough trouble as it is with absurd personal vengeances and faction politics poisoning perfectly acceptable legislation without us introducing a new way to stir the pot. I personally feel the rule was tightened too far, but that was long after the rule was actually introduced. Voters shouldn't be subjected to idiotic proposals that devote more time to listing titles and handing out Oscar acceptance devotionals because they aren't legislatively germane. The rules be designed to foster good legislation, not advance political grievances, and if that means an author has to make a hard choice between co-authors to list, or create a new region for the purpose of WA legislation, then so be it.

Additionally; voters will vote for anything if it makes it to the queue, and it's not a compelling argument to say "let the voters decide" or else we end up with crap like Max Barry Day, or even some of the ancient resolutions from the Old Days.
Welcome to Snefaldia!

Ardchoille
Retired Moderator

Founded: Apr 18, 2004
Democratic Socialists

Postby Ardchoille » Sat May 09, 2015 3:43 am

I don't see why regions should "politic and peacock" in the GA's permanent record, which is what Resolutions are. GA Resolutions affect individual nations, not regions. Leave regional stuff to the SC's permanent record, since it's the SC that affects them. There's plenty of opportunity in drafting and in campaigning to pimp your region.

I'm not intrinsically opposed to changing the use of the nation tags, but I don't see any other practical way around avoiding pre-titles.

I'm not certain whether this is a valid concern: I don't know for sure, but it seems likely to me that, once a pretitle is changed, the tag that allows it to be seen will automatically show it as the new version. As pre-titles can be changed by the player, this would open the possiblility of something trolling or flaming being introduced once the Resolution had passed. I don't particularly want to see, say, The Ethical Society Act recorded as authored by The Kill All Feminist BItches of Respectabilia (known, during drafting, submission and voting, as The Eminent Philosophers of Respectabilia).

Sure, somebody would notice eventually and mods would kill the pre-title, but how long would it be on the GA's official records before that happened? (Not all that long, perhaps, if the Mod Olympians are online, but you get the picture.)

And do I really think somebody would be so petty as to try that sort of trick?

I've been hanging round the NSUN/GA since 2004. You bet I do.
Ideological Bulwark #35
The more scandalous charges were suppressed; the vicar of Christ was accused only of piracy, rape, sodomy, murder and incest. -- Edward Gibbon on the schismatic Pope John XXIII (1410–1415).

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sat May 09, 2015 3:51 am

Ardchoille wrote:And do I really think somebody would be so petty as to try that sort of trick?

I think it's really great that this whole enterprise is beginning on such a solid foundation of trust and good faith.

Snefaldia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Snefaldia » Sat May 09, 2015 4:52 am

The Dark Star Republic wrote:
Ardchoille wrote:And do I really think somebody would be so petty as to try that sort of trick?

I think it's really great that this whole enterprise is beginning on such a solid foundation of trust and good faith.

I don't think that's the way Ard intended that to come across, but I think it can be admitted it's an area that could be open to abuse the same way that flags are.

On that topic, though, how would using formatting tags affect the character limit? I guess this is more of a technical question and not strictly related to the branding rule.
Welcome to Snefaldia!

The Dark Star Republic
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby The Dark Star Republic » Sat May 09, 2015 4:58 am

Snefaldia wrote:
The Dark Star Republic wrote:I think it's really great that this whole enterprise is beginning on such a solid foundation of trust and good faith.

I don't think that's the way Ard intended that to come across, but I think it can be admitted it's an area that could be open to abuse the same way that flags are.

There is already a game rule against customisable field violations, including flags, national animals and currencies, unlockables, and pretitles. The WA proposal rules don't need to be a second line of defence against things that are already illegal, especially given the Grossly Offensive rule (which we're not allowed to discuss yet, admittedly) should provide them with enough discretion to take care of such things anyway.
Snefaldia wrote:On that topic, though, how would using formatting tags affect the character limit?

They don't count towards the character limit: Snefaldia would only count as 9 characters, for example.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to General Assembly Rules Consortium