NATION

PASSWORD

European Council Political RP [OOC/Interest]

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Arkolon
Powerbroker

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

European Council Political RP [OOC/Interest]

Postby Arkolon » Mon Apr 06, 2015 9:11 am

NationStates European Council
A POLITICAL ROLEPLAY
Last month I partook in a roleplay of the European Council with people from all around Europe, and it was indeed boatloads of fun. It pleased me so much that I thought I could import the process over to the NS forums, because you guys would sure love that stuff. This RP, generally speaking, is similar to what a virtual MUN would look like, but for the European Council, and with some of the rules changed around (so it can be properly adapted as a forum game).

Each player will represent a single person, and a group of four people will represent a single country, a member of the European Union. The NEC will be divided into 4 separate Councils (as opposed to 5): Council 1 (sometimes simply “the European Council”), which is comprised of the Heads of State of each European country; Council 2, which deals with General and Foreign Affairs and is comprised of the Ministers of Foreign Affairs of each European country; Council 3 (sometimes simply “ECOFIN”), which deals with economic and financial affairs and is comprised of the Ministers of Finance of each European country, and finally; Council 4, which deals with Home and Justice (as well as Environment and Energy) and is comprised of the appropriate ministers of each European country.

Since I don’t realistically expect 150 people signing up for this RP, I have cut corners and ‘united’ some European countries under a single banner. For example, Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia (who all share similar economies and societies) will be represented by a single delegation instead of 3. This delegation will act as if it only represents one country (eg. Lithuania), but in qualified majority voting that delegation’s votes will include the votes of all Lithuania, Latvia, and Estonia. In effect, there are 16 delegations in total, as opposed to the 28 we would have in the real world.

To play in this RP, you must at least have basic knowledge of how the European Union functions. In a very short summary, there is the European Commission (the ‘government’ if the EU was a single country), which is the only body that can propose laws. These laws are passed onto the European Parliament and the European Council, which are the two ‘houses of parliament’ if the EU was a single country. Now that that has been explained, we can understand that the Commission writes and proposes laws, and the players of this RP will vote on them. The Commission will keep throwing proposals at you, relevant to topics of interest in the real world, and you will vote on them in this RP.

There is also the voting procedure to explain (qualified majority voting and unanimity): for QMV, every European country has a vote that is weighted on its population size. For this reason, it is harder to pass certain laws (but far more democratic), as not only do they need 55% of countries in favour to pass, but also 65% of the EU population. This gives big countries a lot more political clout. Unanimity is self-explanatory.

So, who’s interested?

ONLY THE FIRST TWO COUNCILS ARE CURRENTLY OPEN
    A Reminder that that means:
  • Council 1: Heads of State
  • Council 2: General and Foreign Affairs

List of Playable Delegations (with QMV votes)
  • Belgium/Netherlands/Luxembourg: 29 OPEN
  • Bulgaria/Romania: 24 CLAIMED (C1 - The United Eastern States of Europe; C2 - Tulkomanistan)
  • Croatia/Slovenia: 11 OPEN
  • Czech Republic/Slovakia: 19 OPEN
  • Sweden/Denmark*/Finland: 24 1/2 CLAIMED (C1 - Of the Quendi; C2 - OPEN)
  • Estonia/Latvia/Lithuania: 15 OPEN
  • France: 29 CLAIMED (C1 - Atlanticatia; C2 - The New World Oceania)
  • Germany*/Austria: 39 1/2 CLAIMED (C1 - San Pera; C2 - OPEN)
  • Greece*/Cyprus: 16 1/2 CLAIMED (C1 - United Provinces of Atlantica; C2 - OPEN)
  • Hungary: 12 OPEN
  • Ireland: 7 OPEN
  • Italy*/Malta: 32 1/2 CLAIMED (C1 - Vozergovnia; C2 - OPEN)
  • Poland: 27 1/2 CLAIMED (C1 - Argentarino; C2 - OPEN)
  • Portugal: 12 OPEN
  • Spain: 27 OPEN
  • United Kingdom: 29 1/2 CLAIMED (C1 - Yaana Noore; C2 - OPEN)
  • Head of Commission: 0 RESERVED (Arkolon)
  • President of the European Council: 0 OPEN
  • Commission Council 2: 0 OPEN
  • Commission Council 3: 0 OPEN
  • Commission Council 4: 0 NOT CURRENTLY NEEDED
(*selected delegation must be from this country, yet votes for all those included)
Last edited by Arkolon on Sat Apr 18, 2015 6:56 am, edited 6 times in total.
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:20 am

Bump!

Well, this didn't garner as much attention as I would have liked, so I'll be changing the thread title to something more attractive. In case you are confused as to what to do next, if you are interested in participating in this roleplay, you are to post in this thread saying you're interested! It'll make my day. And if you're that excited for NEC, you can even tell me which role you would like to play.

Since it's 4 people per team, this RP might be more fun if you sign up as a group. If you sign up alone, you may be assigned a group, and, well, NS isn't exactly the number 1 dating site out there, so it may be a more .. interesting venture. Anyway, let's hope people catch on today.
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Tue Apr 07, 2015 1:03 pm

I'm interested
Economic Left/Right: -5.75
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -5.95

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Social Democrat and Progressive.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

The Union of the West
Minister

Founded: Jul 07, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Union of the West » Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:20 am

I'm interested as well!

EDIT: I'd be interested in Germany/Austria or Sweden/Denmark/Finland.
Last edited by The Union of the West on Wed Apr 08, 2015 4:24 am, edited 1 time in total.
☩ Orthodox Christian ☩
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world.

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:32 am

Atlanticatia wrote:I'm interested

A place on the European Commission, I'm guessing? Council 1?

The Union of the West wrote:I'm interested as well!

EDIT: I'd be interested in Germany/Austria or Sweden/Denmark/Finland.

That's great. Any specific role within that delegation? Since it's also a political RP that involves (at least a little bit of) teamwork between councils and delegations, it's always more fun to know who you'll be teamed up with later too.
Rosa Luxemburg

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Thu Apr 09, 2015 11:44 am

Arkolon wrote:
Atlanticatia wrote:I'm interested

A place on the European Commission, I'm guessing? Council 1?

Either Council 1 or Council 3, not sure yet.

Pros: social democracy, LGBT+ rights, pro-choice, free education and health care, environmentalism, Nordic model, secularism, welfare state, multiculturalism
Cons: social conservatism, neoliberalism, hate speech, racism, sexism, 'right-to-work' laws, religious fundamentalism
i'm a dual american-new zealander previously lived in the northeast US, now living in new zealand. university student.
Hanna Nilsen, Leader of the SDP. Equality, Prosperity, and Opportunity: The Social Democratic Party

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Thu Apr 09, 2015 12:10 pm

Atlanticatia wrote:
Arkolon wrote:A place on the European Commission, I'm guessing? Council 1?

Either Council 1 or Council 3, not sure yet.

We'll see who else signs up.
Rosa Luxemburg

Vozergovnia
Spokesperson

Founded: Mar 01, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Vozergovnia » Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:25 pm

This seems interesting. Council 1 please.
Last edited by Vozergovnia on Thu Apr 09, 2015 5:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Free State of Vozergovnia
IIwiki | Map
Proud citizen of Bosnia and Herzegovina
Proud citizen of Malta
I was born in Bosnia and Herzegovina but my family gained asylum in Malta during the Bosnian War. Since the war's end I've lived in BiH, Malta and the UK. I speak English, Maltese, French, Italian and Serbo-Croatian. Yes, I actually do prefer to call it that although artificially inflating my language count isn't a bad idea... Oh and I'm studying Spanish.
Pro: Liberal democracy, Ordoliberalism, Rhine capitalism, Civic nationalism
Anti: Marxism, Fascism, Ethnic nationalism, Anarchism

Restore the Maltese Monarchy!
Reform Party: A Way To Move Forward. Join Today

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Fri Apr 10, 2015 7:56 am

Vozergovnia wrote:This seems interesting. Council 1 please.

Any particular delegation in mind?
Rosa Luxemburg

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 18, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:01 am

Very interested.
Nation RP name
Arda i Eruhíni (short form)
Alcarinqua ar Meneldëa Arda i Eruhíni i sé Amanaranyë ar Aramanaranyë (long form)

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Fri Apr 10, 2015 8:05 am

Of the Quendi wrote:Very interested.

Great, I'm pleased. Looking for more of a political role or a lawcrafting Commission role?
Rosa Luxemburg

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:08 am

Arkolon wrote:
Of the Quendi wrote:Very interested.

Great, I'm pleased. Looking for more of a political role or a lawcrafting Commission role?

We are doing the commission? I thought we would be focusing on the council alone?
Nation RP name
Alcarinqua ar Meneldëa Arda i Eruhíni i sé Amanaranyë ar Aramanaranyë (long form)

Argentarino
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Argentarino » Fri Apr 10, 2015 9:12 am

I'm interested. I know I want to be in Council 1 or 2, but I'm torn between being Italy or France...
Senator Sushila Fonseca
Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:03 am

Of the Quendi wrote:
Arkolon wrote:Great, I'm pleased. Looking for more of a political role or a lawcrafting Commission role?

We are doing the commission? I thought we would be focusing on the council alone?

Well, there's one 'delegation' that does the Commission, and 16 other delegations that do actual countries. There's a Commission person for each Council, and that Commission writes the proposals for that Council. They have no voting power, however.

Argentarino wrote:I'm interested. I know I want to be in Council 1 or 2, but I'm torn between being Italy or France...

If it helps you make a choice, know that I personally represented Italy c:
Rosa Luxemburg

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:55 am

Arkolon wrote:
Of the Quendi wrote:We are doing the commission? I thought we would be focusing on the council alone?

Well, there's one 'delegation' that does the Commission, and 16 other delegations that do actual countries. There's a Commission person for each Council, and that Commission writes the proposals for that Council. They have no voting power, however.

Argentarino wrote:I'm interested. I know I want to be in Council 1 or 2, but I'm torn between being Italy or France...

Definitely council then.
Nation RP name

Atlanticatia
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby Atlanticatia » Fri Apr 10, 2015 10:57 am

I'm kind of interested in representing France.

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:08 am

Atlanticatia wrote:I'm kind of interested in representing France.

Well, I'll tell you what, I'll only have the first two councils (Heads of States and General/Foreign Affairs) open for the time being, and I'll open up the last two if the interest is great enough. That way we can get started on the actual game sooner. And I'll have to write fewer proposals.
Rosa Luxemburg

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:08 am

Of the Quendi wrote:
Arkolon wrote:Well, there's one 'delegation' that does the Commission, and 16 other delegations that do actual countries. There's a Commission person for each Council, and that Commission writes the proposals for that Council. They have no voting power, however.

Definitely council then.

Any particular country that you would like to represent?
Rosa Luxemburg

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:16 am

Arkolon wrote:Any particular country that you would like to represent?

Denmark. But I am good with most countries dependent on what there is a need for.
Nation RP name

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Fri Apr 10, 2015 11:30 am

Of the Quendi wrote:
Arkolon wrote:Any particular country that you would like to represent?

Denmark. But I am good with most countries dependent on what there is a need for.

Nice. Council 1 I'm guessing? I'm going to update the OP with list of those interested for certain delegations.
Rosa Luxemburg

Of the Quendi
Post Marshal

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Of the Quendi » Fri Apr 10, 2015 12:59 pm

Arkolon wrote:Nice. Council 1 I'm guessing? I'm going to update the OP with list of those interested for certain delegations.

Yes council 1.
Nation RP name

San Pera
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 11, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby San Pera » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:33 pm

I like it. Signing up as soon as OOC is open. I would represeent France with its actual budget problems
Proud Co-Founder of Atlanticana
Authored Issue #1263

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Fri Apr 10, 2015 1:42 pm

San Pera wrote:I like it. Signing up as soon as OOC is open. I would represeent France with its actual budget problems

Atlanticatia is already representing France Council 1, so would you still like to be in the French delegation if you're not Head of State?
Rosa Luxemburg

The New World Oceania
Minister

Founded: May 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The New World Oceania » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:11 pm

Could I join France's ECOFIN delegation?
Woman-made-woman.
Formerly Not a Bang but a Whimper.
Mario Cerce, Member of the Red - Green Alliance, Fighting for your Fernão!
Elizia
Joyce Wu, Eternal President of Elizia
Wen Lin, Governor of Jinyu
Ahmed Alef, Member for South Hutnegeri
Dagmar
Elise Marlowe, Member for Varland
Calaverde
Alsafyr Njil, Minister of Justice
Vienna Eliot et. al, Poets
Dick Njil, Journalist
Assad Hazouri, Mayor of Masalbhumi
Baltonia
Clint Webb, Member of the Seima
Ment-Al Li, United Nations Agent
Aurentina
Clint Webb, Senator

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Fri Apr 10, 2015 2:19 pm

The New World Oceania wrote:Could I join France's ECOFIN delegation?

Sure. If San Pera joins as France Council 2, I'll close up France for now, and that's our first full delegation. I'll leave Council 4 out for now until we reach a more active and, well, bigger member base.
Rosa Luxemburg

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse