NATION

PASSWORD

Guns of Our Forefathers³: Reborn (IC)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Kryskov
Powerbroker

Founded: Oct 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Guns of Our Forefathers³: Reborn (IC)

Postby Kryskov » Tue Dec 09, 2014 10:35 pm

Guns of Our Forefathers

The year is 1700. The Enlightenment is raging on, moving Europe into reason and science unprecedented in magnitude since the fall of the Roman Empire. But with this comes great unrest. The local lordships of the Middle Ages have given way to the absolute supremacy of one man: the king. But with the great salons of Europe emerging, new thoughts have been brewing in the minds of the gentry. What will become of this world? Will the monarchs succumb to the demands of their people in a great ball of fire? Or will they themselves adapt, giving up their powers for the sake of national unity? Will the New World remain a fraction of the Old? Or, will republicanism thought spur the rise of new nations, conceived in liberty, and signal the collapse of the colonies? Only time can say.

NOTE: We have an OOC page. Please don't post here unless you've applied in the OOC and have been accepted.

Caltarania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Caltarania » Wed Dec 10, 2014 2:43 am

Konungariket Sverige

Chapter 1 - The White City

Malmö, Sweden
January 1st, 1700

The cultural capital of Skåne - the city of Malmö - had flourished in recent years. It had been the gateway to the Swedish colonies of Nya Sverige and Åskamark, along with being the port town from which the so-called 'Vitflottan' or 'White Fleet' had set sail from, before it's conquest of the Malay peninsula and it's subjugation of the Tamil Rajas of Southern India. Due to this, the city of Malmö had become known as the 'Vitstaden' or 'White City'. This was mostly informally speaking, of course, though there were times when even Karl Torstensson had referred to Malmö by it's nickname. This new-found nourishment of culture and need of labour in Malmö had led to the explosion of the city's population, making it the perfect place for Gustav IV Karl Adolf to address the nation. It had been two years since his accession to the throne aged seventeen, and now that he was nineteen and had recently receded into his personal life, he felt that it would be a perfect opportunity for him to address the nation, and Malmö was an even more appropriate place, what with it being the birthplace of the Swedish colonial empire - he thought.

That was why Gustav had gathered the prominent members of the nobility, clergy, bourgeoisie and peasantry in Malmö; the Riksdag of the Estates had been assembled for the first time in the Gustav IV Karl Adolf's reign. They all crammed into the great hall of Malmö Castle, and the King stood before them, wearing his blue overcoat and other military attire. Clearly, therefore, the King was in a serious mood. Gustav motioned for his 'guests' to sit down upon the chairs which had been placed for them, and began to read over what he had called his 'National Address'. Gustav gulped as his looked out towards the hundreds of people in the great hall of Malmö Castle, and then began his speech. "God dag, min broder Svenskar." he began. He then began to speak again, after but a millisecond of silence. "Först av allt, tillåta mig att uttrycka min tacksamhet för er villighet att samla idag." he said, before continuing. "Det har varit många månar sedan en Konung av Sverige har satt ihop Riksens Ständer, men idag har jag bestämde sig för att ändra på detta faktum genom att kalla dig hit för att ställa ut mitt mål i styrningen av denna stora landet." he continued. "Jag tror att en kung är bara så bra som de människor som han härskar över, och att en kung förtjänar bara att härska om han vill och kan respektera folkets vilja. Min farfars far - Gustavus Adolphus Magnus - var av samma åsikt som jag själv, och jag försöker efterlikna hans prestationer genom att göra Sverige mer mitt i världen en gång!"

Gustav gulped once more before continuing. "Därför har jag lovat att jag ska kalla med folket och deras representanter så ofta som möjligt, för att förstå deras vilja. Länge leve Sverige!" Once it had become clear that the King had finished the main speech of his address, he was met with a thunderous applause from most, if not all, of the Riksdag of the Estates. The members of the Riksdag - noble and peasant, clergyman and burgher alike - were in agreement, and some - mostly the nobles and peasants - chanted "Gud bevare Sverige, Gud bevare konungen!" Gustav was pleased at their agreement, and knew that they understood that by 'representatives' he of course was referring to the Riksdag and it's membership. Gustav then quieten down the Riksdag, and continued to mull them with his plans for the state and also with details of how Sweden would change and adapt in the coming years. He spoke of a land that had been named 'Östrakola' by Swedish fishermen in the Kola peninsular, that had once been under the hegemony of the Mongol Rus, but now stood unoccupied and unclaimed. Gustav spoke of how Sweden would expand it's borders both home and abroad - through blood and through birth - in order to maintain her status as a Great Power. He also spoke of the construction of a new Swedish flagship; 'HMS Gustavus Adolphus Magnus', which would by far be the largest ship in the Swedish navy, and would bring great prestige to the nation. He also touched on how is grandmother had told his father of how she yearned for Stockholm to be the Athens of the North, and Gustav expanded upon it; he said that Athens should strive to be the Stockholm of the South, not the other way around. This was, too, met with a thunderous applaud.

The Riksdag cheered and chanted, and Gustav dismissed it after about a day of debate and speeches. As the King veered to the left in order to obtain a glass of wine, one of his good friends - Ragnar Melker, heir to House von Riga - approached him, and began to speak. "Gustav! Hur trevligt att se dig!" he said, surprisingly casually, in his strange Scotch-Swedish-Prussian-Livonian accent. Gustav nearly let out a small chuckle; though House von Riga was a noble house in technical terms, it was not one in the eyes of many pretentious nobles. The House of von Riga was established during the Great Siege of Riga, when a mercenary army led by Ragnar's great grandfather - Alexander Leslie who came from Scotland to aid Sweden during the Thirty Year's War - lifted the siege even though they were outnumbered three to one. Leslie's excellent leadership skills were recognized by Gustavus Adolphus, who asked Leslie to hold Riga for him. After Leslie's successful defence of Riga in two subsequent battles, Gustavus granted him the city and the surrounding lands, and dubbed him 'Lord of Riga'. This elevated Leslie from a Scottish peasant mercenary to a member of the Swedish nobility. Although many of the nobles at the time disproved of Gustavus' choice to grant Leslie the title, Leslie was astounded, and vowed to follow Gustavus to the last man. Eventually - through the reforms instituted by Gustavus' predecessors - House von Riga came to prominence as one of the most successful trading houses in Sweden, leading many of the expeditions to the New World in the name of new trading prospects.

Gustav replied eagerly, and shook the hand of Ragnar. "Likaså, min vän! Vad tyckte du om mina förslag, skulle de passa dig?" Gustav said in an inviting tone. Ragnar responded quickly. "Ja, naturligtvis min kung! Det var en sak som fångade mitt sinne, dock. Denna expedition till den mark öster om Kola; Har någon bett att leda den ännu?" Gustav paused for a moment. Now that he had thought about it, Ragnar was correct. No-one had asked to head the expedition yet. "Jag tror inte det, Ragnar, men varför frågar du?" Gustav said, inquisitively. "Visst du inte trodde att dagarna av prospektering låg bakom mitt hus! Min far vill leda expeditionen, förstås!" Ragnar boastfully replied. Gustav chuckled slightly. "Klart jag inte trodde något sådant, Ragnar. Jag skulle vara glad att låta Hus von Riga att leda avgiften i namn av fosterlandet!" Gustav replied, before Ragnar leaped in to give him a manly hug. "Tack så mycket, min kung! Mitt hus kommer inte svika, jag försäkra er!" Ragnar replied, before heading off to tell his father the good news.

Gustav then sipped his wine, before heading off to a meeting with some of his Ministers of State. They met in Malmö Castle also, as a matter of convenience for today. The session had a few main topics of discussion. They included the expedition to Östrakola, the expansion of Nya Sverige and the construction for the new Swedish flagship; HMS Gustavus Adolphus Magnus. The ministers present included Minister of Finance Alexander Ivor von Riga, Minister of War Magnus Gustafsson Stenbock, Minister of Colonial Affairs Arvid Bernhard Horn af Ekebyholm and Minister of Foreign Affairs Karl Augustus Vasa-Helsingfors. Gustav began the meeting by consulting Arvid Bernhard with his plans for the expansion of Nya Sverige, and Arvid responded with an idea that he had worked upon. "Min kung, tror jag det är bäst att låta våra ämnen i kolonierna att styra sig själva för det mesta. Våra Guvernörer är i hög grad ineffektivt, även om jag tycker att vi kanske kan uppmuntra utbyggnaden av Nya Sverige om vi öka finansieringen mot den. Vi kunde hjälpa till invandringen av människor till kolonin, genom att uppmuntra medlemmar av de tyska staterna att bosätta sig där." Gustav nodded, and asked Alexander for his input on the relocation of funds. "Finansminister, har du någon input på detta förslag? Kan statskassan stödja denna ökning av investeringarna?" Alexander leaned forward and produced his reply. "Jag förstår inte varför inte, min konung, men frågan till hands är att de medel från statskassan kör aldrig så lite ... torr. Den svenska Riksbanken är beredd att låna oss pengar för dina ansträngningar i den nya världen, naturligtvis, och House von Riga - tillsammans med Riksförbund av Köpmän och Valutahandlare - är villiga att delta och finansiera expeditionen till den mark öster om Kola, men det finns bara så mycket ekonomiska påfrestningar som Sverige kan ta, Ers Majestät." Gustav nodded.

Gustav thought to himself for a moment; the treasury funds were running low? How so, last time he checked they were overflowing with Crowns. Nevertheless, Gustav nodded to the Ministerial Council and responded. "Jag förstår, tack för din input, ministrarna. Jag har beslutat att gå vidare med planerna för både expeditionen till Östrakola och ökningen av medel till Nya Sverige. Dessutom tror jag att vi borde skjuta byggandet av den nya flaggskepp tills sådan tid att våra funs återhämta sig." Alexander and Arvid nodded, although Magnus looked displeased and began to almost rant in a loud tone. "Jag måste invända, Ers Majestät! Militären behöver denna nya flaggskepp, har du redan lovat dess konstruktion till riksdagen, och utan vår flotta kommer att se svag i jämförelse med den för våra grannar! Vi behöver detta nya flaggskepp, Ers Majestät!" Gustav - at first surprised - nodded in understanding. "Jag förstår, krigsminister, men vi inte har de medel vid denna tidpunkt. Jag är inte avbryta dess konstruktion, bara fördröja den tills sådan tid att vi fullt ut kan stå för kostnaderna. Om allt går bra i länderna öster om Kola och i Nya Sverige, då förhoppningsvis den dagen kommer snart." Gustav replied, eventually receiving a nod of somewhat agreement from the Minister of War. "Fint, då." he said. "Jag hoppas att danskarna inte någonsin kan ha en blockad runt Stockholm, eller Gud bevara oss." With that, the meeting had ended, and all Ministers - including the King - had left the room. What a productive day, Gustav thought to himself.

National Address:
[Good day, my brother Swedes.] [First of all, allow me to express my gratitude for your willingness to gather today.] [It has been many moons since a King of Sweden has assembled the Riksdag of the Estates, but today I set out to change that fact by calling you here in order to set out my goal in the governance of this great land.] [I believe that a King is only as good as the people whom he rules over, and that a King only deserves to rule if he is willing and able to respect the wishes of the people. My great grandfather - Gustavus Adolphus Magnus - was of the same mind as myself, and I seek to emulate his achievements by making Sweden once more the centre of the world!]

[Therefore, I have vowed that I will convene with the people and their representatives as often as possible, in order to understand their will. Long live Sweden!]

[God save Sweden, God save the King!]

Conversation on Östrakola:
[Gustav! How nice to see you!]

[Likewise, my friend! What did you think of my proposals, were they to your liking?] [Yes, of course my king! There was one thing which caught my mind, though. This expedition to the lands east of Kola; has anyone asked to head it yet?] [I don't believe so, Ragnar, but why do you ask?] [Surely you did not think that the days of exploration was behind my house! My father wants to lead the expedition, of course!] [Of course I didn't think such a thing, Ragnar. I'd be happy to allow the House von Riga to lead the charge in the name of the fatherland!] [Thank you so much, my King! My house will not disappoint, I assure you!]

Council Meeting:
[My king, I believe it best to allow our subjects in the colonies to govern themselves for the most part. Our Governors are largely ineffective, though I find that we may be able to encourage the expansion of New Sweden if we increase the funding towards it. We could aid in the immigration of people to the colony, by encouraging members of the German states to settle there.] [Finance Minister, do you have any input on this suggestion? Can the treasury support this increase of investment?] [I don't see why not, my King, but the issue at hand is that the funds of the treasury are running ever so slightly... dry. The Swedish Riksbank is willing to lend us some money for your endeavours in the New World, of course, and the House von Riga - along with the National Association of Merchants and Traders - is willing to participate and fund the expedition to the lands east of Kola, however there is only so much financial strain that Sweden can take, your Majesty.]

[I understand, thank you for your input, Ministers. I have decided to push forward with the plans for both the expedition to Östrakola and the increase of funding to New Sweden. Furthermore I believe we should postpone construction of the new flagship until such a time that our funs recover.] [I must object, your Majesty! The military needs this new flagship, you've already promised it's construction to the Riksdag, and without it our fleet will look weak in comparison to that of our neighbours! We need this new flagship, your Majesty!] [I understand, Minister of War, however we do not have the funds at this moment in time. I am not cancelling it's construction, merely delaying it until such a date that we can fully afford the costs. If all goes well in the lands east of Kola and in New Sweden, then hopefully that date will be soon.] [Fine, then.] [I hope that the Danes don't ever blockade Stockholm, or God save us.]
Last edited by Caltarania on Fri Dec 12, 2014 4:22 pm, edited 7 times in total.
I'M FROM KYLARIS, AND I'M HERE TO HELP!

Reatra
Post Marshal

Founded: Sep 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Reatra » Wed Dec 10, 2014 10:49 am

"So, Danilo, how goes the projects in the shipyards?" Doge Remei asked.
"Good, Doge, soon we will have an entirely new fleet to sail the deep seas with. Hopefully this will give us more control over Tierra Coppola, and over the Caribbean trade. The Spaniards and French will no doubt clamor over each other for our gold." Danilo said with a smile.
"Our control over the Atlantic will dramatically increase, Doge," Logan, Remei's economic adviser said, "and this will pave the road for us to construct more ocean-going craft. With the iron and bronze from the Aegean, nobody in the east will be able to oppose our control of the seas." He finished.
"Great, see that the Greeks are defended and... Kept peaceful. We needn't have any, even minor, uprisings on our hands for the time being. Have them finish the fleets, and I'll go talk to my son in Atenai."
"Yes, Doge." Both advisers said.

(Just a quicky to show what's up)
yee haw it's time for mass line

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Thu Dec 11, 2014 4:12 pm

The Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth

Pro Fide, Lege et Rege!

Chapter 1;
A World of Old and a World of New

Warsaw

"Order, Order!" barked King Wladyslaw, his sceptre rattling as he stood up in annoyance. The various sejm's turned from their bickering, it having caused a great commotion within the Polish Parliament Chambers. Grand details had been engraved on tables, columns and desks around the immense room, a testimony to the harmony of the Commonwealth. Here, the sejm's had been debating a colonial endeavour and how some, the more reluctant of the group, had been unwilling to fund a colonial venture into the lands south of Ostrow in the New World. The others had put this idea into full throttle, as they believed it would help solidify the position of the Commonwealth in the New World.
"I tire of this pointless and obsolete debating. Put it towards a vote now, sejm's, and let the will of you and the people push for the Commonwealth's desires - not a debate, not at this point anyhow." Heads fell in shame, but many agreed to the words of the King, for sensible they were.

A few hours later, after a lunch break, the votes had been gathered and counted. Wladyslaw had subconsciously began fiddling with his hands as he awaited the speaker of the sejm slowly advanced to a central podium and began to speak. The elderly gentlemen removed the seal from the envelope within his gloved hands and slowly brought them up closer to his spectacles.
"It is with great pride that I announce..." he continued to pull up the parchment, the tension being felt by all in the room. "That the results... are a vote of a majority of Yes, in favour of the new colonial ventures."

Gdansk

Gdansk was the principle port of the Commonwealth, a mighty trading centre filled with goods from across the Baltic and the New World. It was always hustling and bustling with activity, but never quite like today. In harbour sat a dozen ships, finally crafted sea going vessels adorned with cannon and hulls of immense storage space. These were the colonial vessels the Commonwealth would use, to ferry the colonists to Ostrow and then for them to make the trek south west of it, to settle new lands. In port however, they were now being stocked with foods, munitions and supplies for the eventual settlement - for the territory was a cruel and unforgiving mistress.

To: Her Royal Highness, Queen Margaret of Scotland.
From: His Royal Highness, Wladyslaw III, King of Poland, Grand Duke of Lithuania.

Greetings and Honest tidings fair Monarch of Caledonia! I write this letter you as a gesture of good will and I hope to find you in good health and in spirit under the watchful vigil of the Lord. It is with great enthusiasm and truthfulness that I put forward the following proposition. I believe, that due to tidings from the past century, many a conflict will see themselves arise here in Europe. It is because of this that I ask, to solidify a friendship of our nations (Due to a familiar side on the Thirty Years War, in which we both fought against the Austrians if my fathers tales can be remember correctly), if you would be interested in a Royal Marriage between our houses.

I await your response and hope for the best.
Last edited by Liecthenbourg on Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:07 am, edited 6 times in total.
Impeach Ernest Jacquinot Legalise Shooting Communists The Gold Standard Needs To Be Abolished Duclerque 1919
Grand-Master of the Kyluminati

The Region of Kylaris
I'm just a simple Kylarite, trying to make my way on NS.

The Gaullican Republic,
I thank God for Three Things:
Kylaris, the death of Esquarium, and Prem <3

The Transtsabaran Federation and The Chistovodian Workers' State

To understand European history watch these: Cultural erosion, German and Italian history, a brief history of Germany.

Valentir
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Valentir » Thu Dec 11, 2014 5:49 pm

"Cinere in capite iterum surgit" - Kaiser Leopold I

Chapter 1 - Eine Krone Wiedergeboren

Hofburg, Wien, Krone von Österreich

The Imperial Court was full of the sounds of chatter and the lords and ladies of the Österreich engaged in conversation over the latest news in Wien. The Grand Hall of the Hofburg was buzzing with the news, with the various aristocratic alliances that fractured the court attempting to make sense of the situation. The conservative faction of the court, lead by Count Heinrich von Wolkenstein, were greatly intrigued by the developments of the past few days. "....this will greatly harm our chances for control of the Chancellorship!" coughed Viscount Adolf von Traun, his voice cracking after every word. Adolf was one of the oldest members of the conservative faction, and for years has been plagued by a terrible cough. He attempted to continue speaking, but was interrupted by the young Count Gerhard von Metternich, "This will hardly weaken our position. If anything it will add more legitimacy to our cause, and if we can pin the whole affair on the liberals, even better." A few of the men present nodded in agreement, but Adolf would have none of it, "You cannot be serious Gerhard! Do you think the liberals are stupid? They would see our slander coming from miles away, and turn it on you. No, we must begin to strengthen our position and secure as many positions as possible. Only then can we...."

"Gentlemen, enough of this bickering. We do nothing for now but wait and see what the Kaiser has to say. We will act once we know what his plans are," said Count Heinrich as he ended the little argument. He started to speak again but soon the entire hall was silent. At the end of the Grand Hall the great oak doors began to creak open, and a large shadow emerged. Soon the lords and ladies of the hall began to bend over and bow, one by one. Heinrich, Adolf, and Gerhard did the same, for it only meant one thing. The Kaiser had arrived. Leopold I walked gracefully down the center carpet of the Grand Hall. He walked with pride, his head held high. His figure was most excellent and despite his advancing age he was still in good health, to the dismay of radical reformists. The Kaiser approached the throne, which was heavily decorated in gemstones of the finest quality, from the mines of Neu Tyrol in Africa. Leopold took a seat on the great chair, which was too small for the large kaiser. The Kaiser nodded and the Bishop of Wien opened a prayer, "Pater Noster, qui es in caelis, sanctificetur nomen tuum. Adveniat regnum tuum. Fiat voluntas tua, sicut in caelo et in terra. Panem nostrum quotidianum da nobis hodie, et dimitte nobis debita nostra sicut et nos dimittimus debitoribus nostris. Et ne nos inducas in tentationem, sed libera nos a malo. Amen." The room was quiet, not a single sound made, and then the Kaiser rose from the throne. He towered over all in the court, his eyes gazing from one side of the room to the next. Finally after several seconds of silence he began to speak, "Lords and ladies of the Österreich, I have summoned you here, at such an early hour on this fine morning, to bring you most sorrowful news. At eight o'clock last night, Chancellor Reinhard was found dead at his estate in Wien, stabbed multiple times," the court let out a small cry of shock. Reinhard's wife and son, Marabelle and Erwin, burst into tears. The Kaiser continued, "Chancellor Reinhard served the Österreich for twenty years, helping guide this great kingdom into a new age. He was honourable man, a man of highest moral quality. He was loved by his allies and respected by his opponents for his integrity and love for his family and country. Reinhard was a personal friend of mine, and he will be missed. In honour of his memory he shall be given a stat....." the Kaiser stared down at the floors of the hall, the words caught in his mouth. It was several moments before he steeled himself and continued, "...state funeral, for his many years of service. I offer my condolences to his wife and son, who have always been good friends of the Crown." The court turned to look at Marabelle and Erwin, who hugged each other tightly.

Then the crowd of aristocrats turned again when, a new voice, deep and hoarse, filled the room, "Your majesty, this is truly a terrible loss. I was never close with the late Chancellor, but I, like many other here, admired his diligence, and he has been a true servant of the Crown. However, and I know this is rather hard to think of in such a time, but who will take over his responsibilities as Chancellor? Reinhard ran every ministry, personally oversaw the military and economy, and kept numerous records in his estate. With no Chancellor, what are your plans to reorganize government, your majesty?"

The Kaiser turned to the deep voiced man, who he recognized as Georg von Rommel, Count of Augsburg. "My lord Georg, I thank you for your kind words, and I assure that the government will continue as before," Leopold turned to face the entire court, "I shall assume the duties of the Chancellorship, and from this day hence, until I find a worthy successor, the government shall be run by a new ministry, headed by me personally." The court began gazed and one another and began to whisper. The Chancellorship was the most powerful position in the Kingdom, and has been contested for decades. With the Kaiser taking up its power, it made the position worthless.

"If it is the wish of your majesty. I have no doubt that the Osterreich shall flourish as it did under Reinhard."

"Thank you, Lord Georg. Now, that shall be all. Court is hereby dismissed," Leopold nodded to the Bishop, who gave one last prayer. The kaiser then stepped down from the throne and walked again to the door. The lords and ladies bowed again, and the Kaiser exited out of the Grand Hall. With court officially ended, the liberals and conservatives too made their exits, returning to their respective quarters. Leopold had changed everything, and the political landscape had turned. This was a new dawn for the Osterreich.
Last edited by Valentir on Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:39 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Bujahla
Postmaster-General

Founded: May 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Bujahla » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:19 pm

日本国
The State of Japan
The Empire of the Rising Sun | Chapter 1: Tales of an Empire

A photo of Lake Matano.

When the Japanese first got involved in the Indonesian islands, there was no original intent to control these lands. In the mid 1600's the Japanese merchants began searching for more markets to explore. Having expanded trade with the European nations, the Japanese merchants realized they lacked the many spices and rare luxury items that the Europeans were looking for. In order to accommodate for this, Japanese merchants began trading with the small tribes of Indonesia. From Java to Sulawesi, they expanded their contacts and began buying the spices, metals, and more goods from the region. By the 1630's they were very invested in Sulawesi and the middle islands. At this point, the Japanese Merchant Company, a company modeled off the European style organizations, asked permission from the Emperor to create a colony with the many trading posts they operated. It was granted and the colony was named Kōryō shotō (Spice Islands). It was controlled by the JMC and still is to this day. It took quite some time to be fully controlled. The Japanese had to fight a war against the Gowa, the major power on the west coast. In the late 60's, the company had to deal with fighting numerous warlords. By 1670, however, the JMC had forced all warlords and societies to agree to the colony structure. They were given significant degrees of autonomy but control of trade was given to the JMC. In fighting against the warlords, the company was aided by the Kingdom of Bone, which was given significant control over the island and a voice in the colonial structure.

Of the many facets of the colony, perhaps the most important is Lake Matano. A historic source of iron imports, it was one of the major reasons for colonizing Sulawesi. Since the creation of the Kōryō shotō colony, the lake has been continually exploited to sell the iron to various nations. The Japanese government bought a lot of iron for the daimyos as well as Emperor's army. A significant share of the iron is sold to the Mughals, Iberians, and Swedish as well.

To-Do List:
- Merchants in Kōryō shotō
- Swag-on Wagon trains in Rikushū
- Samurai in Shiberia
- Explorers in New World
- Japanese pirates in Danish Mexico
- Other stuff

Code: Select all

[box][align=center][img][/img]
[i][/i][/align][/box][hr][/hr]
[blocktext][/blocktext][hr][/hr]

Last edited by Bujahla on Sat Dec 13, 2014 3:49 pm, edited 4 times in total.
*Huzzah he lives!*

Nah, son. Britain was all like "yo, why my colonies be all uppity an' shit?!" And Lord Durham laid it straight: "they be wantin' legislation with representation, dawg."

Never Forget / My Best IC Posts
Never Forget / My Longest Running Series
Never Forget / My Best RP

The Kingdom of Glitter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Kingdom of Glitter » Thu Dec 11, 2014 9:22 pm

The Kingdom of Scotland

Kinrick o Scotland | Rìoghachd na h-Alba

A New Era Dawns
Edinburgh, Scotland | January 1700 Anno Domini

As the clocks struck midnight, a chorus of bagpipes and cheers filled the city of Edinburgh. The new year had arrived, as had a new century. The seventeenth century was a glorious one for Scotland. It was the start of the colonial empire and many great and noble leaders. It was also the first century that the House of Stuart-Vasa held the Scottish throne. Queen Margaret, the head of the ruling house, walked out onto the balcony of Edinburgh Castle, escorted by her husband the Prince-Consort, to view the fireworks which began to burst into color over Auld Reekie. Following closely behind was the Duke of Rothesay, Prince Andrew, and the twins, Margaret and Mary. The rest of the Stuart-Vasa children remained inside the castle, largely occupied with themselves or fast asleep.

As Margaret reached the end of the balcony, she looked down to view the capital of her nation. Edinburgh was an old city, but it was one of beauty. It was often called "The Athens of the North", and she certainly lived up to the title. The Royal Mile of the city was one of the few remaining on the continent that looked the same as it did 200 years prior. The royals had always helped maintain the lands surrounding their various estates. Edina was certainly a city of beauty, and one the Scots were proud of.

Two of the Queen's Border Collies, Reverend and Duchess, followed closely behind the Queen and were warmly greeted by her children. As the royals marveled in awe at the beauty of the fireworks above their capital, the Prime Minister and the Lord High Marshal began to approach them. The Prime Minister was a rather distance relative of the Queen, related to her by marriage through Margaret Stuart-Vasa Mackenzie, who married George Mackenzie, chief of the powerful Clan Mackenzie and Earl of Cromartie. The Prime Minister held the second title that ran in the Clan, the Earldom of Seaforth. He was a man in his fifties and had once served in the Royal Scots Army before carrying on the family tradition of entering Parliament, after his father's death and ascension to the Earldom of Seaforth. It was then that he entered the House of Lords and began his political career, quickly working his way up the political ladder and was appointed Prime Minister by Queen Margaret. The Queen was still largely responsible for the operations of her realm, but Earl Seaforth helped her with day to day decisions and acted as her top adviser. He was given some political authority, but still needed permission from the Queen to do most things, of which he would almost always receive.

"Your Grace, I do hate to interupt", Earl Seaforth said to Queen Margaret. "But Earl Aberdeen and I have finished formulating our plans."

The Queen turned around with a smile on her face. "Ah, Earl Seaforth. And Earl Aberdeen, what a pleasant surprise. I am most intrigued to hear from you, but this is not a matter for the children. Stay with us for a while until the fireworks have finished, and then we shall make our way to the Drawing Room."

"Yes of course, Madame. It would be my pleasure."

The party continued to watch the fireworks, as the twins played with Reverend and Duchess. They eventually came to a close, and Prince Karl took the children inside while the Queen headed for the drawing room with the Prime Minister and the Lord High Marshall. They entered the room and sat down.

"Can I interest you in some tea, gentlemen?" the Queen asked her visitors.

"Oh no thank you, Your Grace." the Lord High Marshall said in reply. "However, I would love to show you what Earl Seaforth and I have devised."

"Pray tell, Earl Aberdeen."

"As requested, I have met with the various generals and commanders of our army to discuss a possible invasion of Ireland, in order to capture and secure Dublin and the Meath area. The Lord High Marshall of Ulster has suggested we launch our attack from Warrenpoint, and quickly capture Dundalk. We would then follow the coastline and take Drogheda and eventually Dublin. We expect minimal resistance, especially if our surprise attack works."

"It sounds rather simple, at least the way you worded it. What do you think, Earl Seaforth. Can we expect help from the Swedes? And what about the French?"

"I think we can, Madame. The Swedes and the French would not have to commit much to this war, and would mainly declare as a formality to honor their alliances with us. I can send word to our embassies in Paris and Stockholm and has for a confirmation, if you would like me to."

"That would be lovely, thank you Earl Seaforth. And have any of you spoken to the Lord High Admiral yet? We will need to use our navy in order to blockade and bombard Dublin. And are we confident our southern border is secure? We must make sure the English and the Danes would not react negatively. And, should they do so, our border must be secure."

"The Borders are safe, Madame. The forts are fully garrisoned and our border clans are fully prepared to deal with an English invasion. And, should they attack, we can surely expect help from the French and the Swedes. Besides, I highly doubt they would risk war with us and our allies over Ireland. They have no interest there, we however do."

"Well, I am unsure yet. I would like to consult my husband on the matter, as he is quite well versed when it comes to war. And of course I will need to pray. I shall give you an answer shortly, Earl Seaforth. And I thank the both of you for your time, and hope that together we can claim what is rightfully ours."

Hamilton, New Caledonia | January 1700 Anno Domini

The colony of New Caledonia was Scotland's largest and most valuable dominion. The discovery of the abundance of cotton years ago only helped propel the growth of the colony, as wealthy families, such as the Mackenzies of the Highlands and the Hamiltons of the Lowlands, invested further in its development. The demand for cotton was on the rise throughout the Scottish homeland, as it was being used to begin making clothing, alongside Scotland's native wool.

Due to the high levels of investment from the homeland, New Caledonia was able to expand as it wished. Settlements continued to grow both in physical size and population. Hamilton, the administrative capital of Sinclair, soon became the largest Scottish city in North America. The city was home to the Governor-General of Sinclair, Governor Alexander Campbell, and a loosely formed Assembly that handled some issues that faced the colony, but its foreign and domestic policies were largely influenced by Edinburgh and the Governor-General. In Rothesay, the other province of New Caledonia, the Governor-General resided in Stuartston. The city was much smaller than her counterpart in Sinclair, but it was still the largest settlement in Rothesay. Both cities had become major centers of trade, alongside Edina, which acted as Scotland's trading port on the Chesapeake Bay, opening up trade with the Swedish colony of Nya Sverige.

For Sinclair, opportunity was abundant. Unlike Rothesay, the province was not isolated from the frontier, and its most western lands were considered the Scottish frontier. Forts were constructed throughout the frontier of Sinclair in order to protect the province from Indian raids, along with Scotia's influence in the region. The forts would also make westward expansion much easier for the Scots. Several forts were established and garrisoned around the turn of the century, namely Fort Andrew, Fort Alexander, Fort Unicorn, and Fort Belfast. The Governor-General also ordered an expedition westward, led by prominent Scotch-Irish explorer Andrew Jackson in order to fully explore the lands in order for the colony to plan further expansion.

Port Darien, Darien Colony | January 1700 Anno Domini

It was the Company of Scotland that established the Darien Colony in 1698. Founded in 1695 after Parliament passed the Company of Scotland Act, it was granted a monopoly of on Scottish trade to India, Africa and the Americas and also extraordinary sovereign rights and temporary exemptions from taxation. They first established Port Darien after Thomas Drummond lead 1,250 Scots to the colony. Many more would arrived, as they were sponsored by the nobility back home, which was done in order to receive the various baronetcies offer by the Scottish Government in exchange for supporting the Company of Scotland. The government also sent over two companies of soldiers in order to aid in the expansion of the colony, eventually being garrisoned in the forts constructed for them, namely Fort Margaret, Fort Malcom, and Fort Ross. Other settlements were established throughout the Darien Colony, such as Saint Columba and New Edinburgh.

Currently, around 5,000 Scots had migrated to the colony to establish new lives in the Darien Colony, as the Company of Scotland actively searched for more colonists to move to the colony. They were also looking into potential colonization of Africa, as a rather sizable faction of the Company's governors believed Africa and India was the key to Scotland's riches, but the majority felt that before they could look East, they had to finish their business in the West. For now, the colony would continue to grow, under the ever watchful eye of the Scottish Government.

A Royal Decree from the Queen of Scots
Her Grace Queen Margaret

Dearest King Wladyslaw III,

While I was not on this earth for the Thirty Years War, I still remember the fierce commitment to honor and duty that our two nations shared during the conflict. And I can assure you I am not the only one in my realm who has remembered.

It would by my pleasure to arrange the betrothal of one of my daughters to one of your sons. Might I suggest one of my dearest twins, Margaret and Mary? They are currently twelve and will be ready for marriage in three years time.

I eagerly await your response.

From the Desk of the Prime Minister of Scots
The Hon. Kennerth Mackenzie, Earl of Seaforth

Dearest Ambassadors in Paris and Stockholm,

Her Grace has given us the approval for our plans in Ireland. As the final part of our scheme, I must ask you to confirm the support of the French and the Swedes on our behalf in the upcoming conflict. It is only through their support than we can be sure the Anglo-Danes will remain out of the conflict.

Please meet with your counterparts in your respective cities as soon as you receive this letter, as this is most urgent.
Last edited by The Kingdom of Glitter on Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:39 pm, edited 6 times in total.

G-Tech Corporation
Khan of Spam

Founded: Feb 03, 2010
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby G-Tech Corporation » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:17 am

Reservacion? Si, le reservado.
Quite the unofficial fellow. Former P2TM Mentor specializing in faction and nation RPs, as well as RPGs. Always happy to help.

Carathon
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Carathon » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:52 am

Nihil Sine Deo
Nothing Without God

The Imperial City of Constantinople
MDCC Anno Domini - January 15th, 1700.

Heinrich V Hohenzollern, Emperor in Constantinople reclined on his throne with a vague feeling of dread. Forty-seven years old, and suffering from ever increasing gout, soon he would have to listen to the whining of the peasant-rabble and worst of all, having to wash the feet of a commoner as a sign of piety and following the example of Jesus Christ. Though honestly, he absolutely loathed the tradition and saw the act of such prostration infront of his assembled nobles and retainers as a sign of weakness. But refusing to do such a thing would, perhaps, bring even worse consequences after all - none could forget the gory end of one of his predecessors, Friedrich III who refused to perform the act of modesty and when crops failed the following year, was seized upon by a mob whilst travelling to the marches - and by the time the Templars and Teutonic Knights managed to cut a swath to him, was delimbed, blinded and castrated, and promptly died several days later.

While some of the less-pious members of his court called it a coincidence, most viewed it as a warning that God was merciless and harsh in the treatment of those afflicted with the sin of superbia.

A later romanticized painting of the Imperial Court, while the throne room itself is accurate there are many major anachronisms, especially in clothing.

The procession of peasants, commoners and lower merchants all seeking to voice their grievances, herded and packed together by Teutonic Knights and Imperial Soldiers, all being very careful not to let any-one of the rabble too close to His Grace. One at a time, they begged the Emperor for help. One sheep-herder tearfully explained that a gang of Knights broke into his home, feasted upon his live-stock and had their way with his virgin daughter. Merchants complained of oppressive tolls charged upon them moving goods to and from the Black Sea by the Bosphorus, and inner-city administrators appealed to the Emperor to subside ever-more-expensive grain for the poor of Antioch, Constantinople, Athens and the other great cities of the Empire.

Heinrich sheepishly waved man after man forward, gave vague promises of reform and change and occasionally bestowed a pittance of guilders as reinbursement. At one point, several nobles - Freiherr Reinkart von Ginhart and Ritter Wilhelm von Dietfurt - presented themselves to him, noticably without even acknowledging one another. They accused one-another of poaching upon the other's lands, and before the Emperor could even get a word in, began to insult one another. Bemused, Heinrich merely folded h is hands and watched.

"I do not believe it is *my* fault that your lands are so barren that you have to resort to petty poaching on mine's, you insolent wretch!" Reinkart, of technical higher rank then Wilhelm, snapped at the other man.

"Barren!?" Wilhelm grinded his teeth. "The only thing that is barren is your father's wife, you vile spawn of a Moslem strumpet!"

Reinkart was taken back by such a grave insult infront of the entire court, and quickly riposted with the insinuation that Wilhelm's mother had the sexual habits of a small, furry rodent and his father had the scent of Sambucus about him, which led to Wilhelm demanding the Emperor to be allowed to duel Reinkart. Perhaps out of boredom more then anything, he gave his consent with a wave of his hand. Several merchants attending court silently gambled on who would win.

Reinkart and Wilhelm quickly went at it with longswords, and after a short duel, Reinkart fell to the ground, dead. Wilhelm suffered a wound for his troubles - one that would kill him via infection several weeks later - and gave the Emperor his thanks before limping out.

Heinrich sighed wistfully, before changing out of his Ermine and Murex regalia in-exchange for a simple, tortuously itchy hair-shirt. Several of his Greek administrators brought in a skinny, Turkish looking peasant with hands and body wrapped in thin strips of cloth. According to a Greek translator, the Turk had converted to Christianity. The Emperor frowned slightly as several servants brought a basin of water for the peasant to place his calloused feet into.

The Archbishop, from a raised podium, began to speak text from the bible itself.

1 And before the feast of the passover, Jesus knowing that His hour hath come, that He may remove out of this world unto the Father, having loved His own who are in the world—to the end He loved them. 2 And supper being come, the devil already having put it into the heart of Judas of Simon, Iscariot, that he may deliver Him up, 3 Jesus, knowing that all things the Father hath given to Him—into His hands—and that from God He came forth, and unto God He goeth, 4 doth rise from the supper, and doth lay down his garments, and having taken a towel, he girded himself; 5 afterward he putteth water into the basin, and began to wash the feet of his disciples, and to wipe with the towel with which he was being girded. 6 He cometh, therefore, unto Simon Peter, and that one saith to him, "Sir, thou—dost Thou wash my feet?" 7 Jesus answered and said to him, "That which I do thou hast not known now, but thou shalt know after these things;" 8 Peter saith to him, "Thou mayest not wash my feet—to the age." Jesus answered him, "If I may not wash thee, thou hast no part with me." 9 Simon Peter saith to him, "Sir, not my feet only, but also the hands and the head." 10 Jesus saith to him, "He who hath been bathed hath no need, save to wash his feet, for he is clean altogether; and ye are clean, but not all;" 11 for He knew him who is delivering him up; because of this He said, "Ye are not all clean." 12 When, therefore, He washed their feet, and took His garments, having reclined at meat again, He said to them, "Do ye know what I have done to you? 13 Ye call me, 'The Teacher' and 'The Lord', and ye say well, for I am; 14 if then I did wash your feet—the Lord and the Teacher—ye also ought to wash one another's feet. 15 For I have given thee an example, that ye should do as I have done to ye. Verily, verily, I say unto ye, the servant is not greater than his lord; neither he that is sent greater than he that sent him. If ye know these things, happy are ye if ye do them."

For the twenty-first time in his life, corresponding twenty-one years of reign, the Emperor knelt and began to wash the peasants feet with a sponge. He made no eye-contact, and simply thought of his throne and country while doing so. The Turkish peasant's face was neutral as he scraped over the dirt and callouses of his foot. The Emperor exhaled, and dropped the sponge into the basin. Suddenly the peasant's mouth moved wide into a rotten-tooth sneer, and with a motion of his hand, slid the cloth wrappings from his arms and hands, revealing swollen buboes, characteristic of...

"THE PLAGUE!" One noble screeched out. The Emperor himself recoiled backwards in shock. The peasant's malevolent grin grew wider, and he slowly spoke in broken latin. "God... wills.... it." Deus Vult. The motto of the crusaders. "Mein Gott im Himmel!" The Emperor yelped out in shock, and simply stared awe-struck at the Turk. Slowly, rage began to over-take the Emperor and his fists curled. With a bellow of rage, he charged the peasant. Even as the Emperor throttled the skinny Turk to death, and bashed his skull onto the marble floor until it cracked open. Breathing heavily, Heinrich slowly rose to his feet, and looked to one of his Greek Administrators who had brought the Turk in. Many of the court attendants and noble had began to filter out at this point.

The Emperor glanced to one of his remaining Teutonic Knights, and motioned to the senior Greek. "Kill this cunt." The Greek began to yammer about how he was completely ignorant of the Turk's condition, and when Heinrich showed no signs of retracting the order, made a futile run for it only to be hounded down by his guards and received a dirk in his eye. Heinrich then, with a unhinged expression upon his face, very slowly and deliberately marched towards the remaining Greek, who whimpered, flinched and backtracked with every-step the Emperor advanced forward, until his back quite literally hit the wall.

The Emperor seized upon the man's silk robings, and raised his blood covered hand. "Lick my hand." The Greek gulped, frozen. "LICK IT OR I'LL HAVE YOU HUNG, DRAWN AND QUARTERED!" He barked at the man, who seemed to shrink into his clothes. Timidly, he extended his neck and ran his tongue over the Emperor's blood-stained hands. Contented, the Emperor released the man and spun on his heels. The Greek slid down the wall, and collapsed into a sobbing ball, knowing very well the results of coming in contact with infected fluids.

Heinrich took in a breath, and spoke in a low, grating voice. "Get me my physicians."

January 24th

The Emperor knelt infront of his bed. He was pale, weak, border-line delirious. His physicians had tried everything, leeches, incense - even more unorthodox methods. But nothing had work. His priest issued him his final rites from a distance, and left him alone in his chambers.

I can't die. I am God's Servant. He will not smite me down. He, in his wisdom, merely tests my faith.

With this in mind, Heinrich prayed fervently. For hours at a time, he prostrated himself in a hair shirt and recited verses of the bibles, and begged and promised and beseeched god to spare him. From the bed-side, he ordered vast amounts of the treasury be donated to the church. He consumed nothing but a thin fast of bread and water, which went down his sandpaper throat more painfully each and every day. Eventually he abstained from food completely, and his hair grew matted and wild.

Even as the gangrene caused his fingernails to chip, peel and fall away, and his hands to slowly turn black he stayed knelt, rosary beads and cross between his charred fingers. He had lucid delusions of his dead wife, old hunting partners, and even his son Frederick who was far off fighting in the marches coming to pray with him. Part of him welcomed such things - no one deserved to die alone. Another part of him screeched and clawed, and refused to accept death.

"My Lord, Jesus Christ and the Father, God in Heaven...... I beseech you, spare your faithful servant."

There was no response.

"I have taken up the cross... I have converted thousands of people to the true light.... I have devoted my life to your cause, my Lord.

There was no response.

"I have worn the hair-shirt, and washed the treacherous begger's feet. Have I not followed your example, my lord?"

There was no response.

"Please... what will become of my Empire and your faithful followers without me? Would you forsake them all with me? I beg of you, my Lord.

God was deaf.

Heinrich grinded his teeth, and with a sudden surge of furious strength tore apart the rosary beads and threw the cross at the stone wall, shattering it. "YOU OLD IDIOT!" The dying man screamed to the heavens. "WHY DO YOU SMITE YOUR MOST STEWART OF SERVANTS? WHY DO YOU LET THE HERETIC LIVE! THE HEATHEN BREATH ANOTHER DAY!?"

He staggered up onto unstable feet, bellowing at the roof and beating upon his chest. "YOU FUCKING CUNT! RELEASE ME OF THIS PLAGUE!~ I DEMAND IT OF YOU! YOU CANNOT DEFY ME!" His roar pierced through walls, and awoke several of his servants sleeping rooms apart.

"I RULE CHRISTIANITY! ME! I AM THE FINAL ARBITER OF TRUTH AND DEATH! YOU CANNOT DO THIS TO ME! I AM THE EMPEROR OF CONSTA- *hack, hack*" The Emperor fell onto a knee, darkness invading his vision and his chest tightening. "C-.o...n-....n-n...st..a" His limbs grew heavy as lead, and saliva black as tar began to fill his mouth and invade his lungs. ".....s-.......t...a....n....i..-o.."

Gravity pulled him to the ground with a thud, his body no-longer responding to his commands. His head felt as if it was about to burst. Froth from his mouth stained the cobblestone floor. "..o-..o-ple....."

Then he knew no more.
Last edited by Carathon on Sat Dec 13, 2014 2:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
I am from the United States, just so you know.

Male.

Caltarania
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Caltarania » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:10 pm

Konungariket Sverige

Chapter 2 - A New World Order

Oldenburg, Swedish Germany
January 20th, 1700

Oldenburg was an important city for Sweden. Though it was traditionally part of Germany, it had been under Swedish hegemony for so long that the majority of violent separatists had been quelled. Of course, this was aided by the autonomy granted to the city and surrounding areas, and by the Protestant unity promoted by the Thirty Year's War. The leader of the town - the Stadsdirektör - was appointed by the Swedish monarch in name, though usually the choice of the monarch was aided by the advice of major individuals within the city. The Stadsdirektör of the city at the moment was Nicolaes Witsen, a Dutch-born statesmen who had fled to Sweden to escape persecution from the Catholic state of Spain. He was well known through-out Sweden, as it was he who helped head the Svenska Ostindiska Companiet, and it was also he who organized the purchase and construction of the White Fleet that had conquered Malaya and subdued the Rajas of Southern India. His position as Stadsdirektör of Oldenburg, then, was one given to him based on personal merit. It was quite odd to think about it, however, as he was a Dutchman ruling over Germans under the instruction of Swedes.

WIP

Still to do:
-Message to New Israel
-Reply to Scotland
-Discussion of the HRE between Nicolaes and others
-The unveiling of a new statue in Oldenburg

Last edited by Caltarania on Sun Dec 14, 2014 2:30 am, edited 1 time in total.
I'M FROM KYLARIS, AND I'M HERE TO HELP!

Mesrane
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 13, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Mesrane » Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:51 pm

The Kingdom of Persia

January, 1700

Kerman, Persia

Tahmasp II, Shahanshah of Persia, gestured for General Aibek Akhun to rise from his kneeling position. "General Akhun," Tahmasp's voice bellowed throughout the Great Hall of towering Baqiyat Palace, home of the Safavid Shahs for two hundred years. "What news from Samarqand, General?"

Akhun inclined his head once more. "The 'rebellion,' has mostly ended without a fight, my Shah. The Uzbek chief Sholgat has been talked out of secession by the provincial governor. His small army has disbanded and returned to their homes. My troops did engage in a cavalry skirmish outside of Khiva, but it lasted just a few minutes and the Uzbeks were handily beaten off. The remaining chiefs have reaffirmed their loyalty to you. It seems Sholgat never experienced much popular support anyways. Order is restored, my Shah."

Sitting as comfortably as he could arrange himself in the rather comfortless throne, Tahmasp looked upon General Akhun with approval. "Excellent work, General. You may return to your post in Khiva with my blessing and disband whatever reserves you mustered."

Bowing once more, Akhun turned and strode out.

Tahmasp contemplated affairs elsewhere in his realm as servants bustled about, for lunch was nearly ready. Daryaband, the Persian foothold in southeastern Africa, was doing quite well. Sporadic native attacks had ceased entirely over the past decade, and the mines were continuing to turn out iron and smaller amounts of gold. Native guides would often take Persian explorers and huntsmen north into a lush plain region with myriad exotic animals. Lion skins and elephant ivory often graced the stalls of vendors in Daryaband these days. Of equal importance however, was the need for these goods, along with Afghanistan's staple Opium, to be exposed to European markets. With Georgia in the west however, an overland route was becoming increasingly annoying. Ah Georgia, how a divided Persia rends at my very soul. This Romanian Empire was intriguing, to say the least. Tahmasp wasn't sure what to make of them but in the meantime wished for cordial relations. Tahmasp twiddled his thumbs as he thought. Finally, he whistled to a nearby servant to catch his attention. "Bring me paper and ink if you would."

To the esteemed Genghis Khan Altan,

Blessings of Allah be upon you. The might of your Khanate has long been a source of comfort to the Persian people and myself in particular. I do understand that Georgia has for a time been a thorn in your side; it has certainly been a thorn in mine. The division of the Persian homeland is a pain that racks me every day. Besides the numerous economic benefits of our nations possessing closer ties, an alliance would be of important military value to both of us. Therefore, I extend my hand in an offer of alliance to you. I eagerly await your response.

Sincerely,

Tahmasp II, Shahanshah of Persia
Last edited by Mesrane on Sat Dec 13, 2014 6:52 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Obligatory pros and antis:
Pro: Libertarianism, Protestantism, Gay Rights, 2nd Amendment, Scottish and Welsh Independence, Free Market
Anti: Communism, Socialism, General Authoritarianism, Welfare State, Feminism, EU, Controlled Economy, Gun Control, Justin Bieber, Utter Ridiculousness

Unapologetic Elder Scrolls Fanatic
HAIL NEREVAR, PRAISE THE HORTATOR

Chicago Cubs Fan. Yay?

The Khedive
Envoy

Founded: Sep 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby The Khedive » Sun Dec 14, 2014 11:23 am

KINGDOM OF MOROCCO

WINTER 1111 HIJRA

The sun set on the Versailles of Africa, dipping into the brim of the snowcapped peaks of the Atlas Mountains, jutting like a backbone out of windswept dunes and rolling hills. While the stars marched into parade in that most far-flung western nation of Islam the palace at Meknes and, arguably, all other government buildings were drenched in their awfully familiar bustle of documents and dossiers. Indeed, it was an alien sight and, above all, a far cry from the internecine tribal warfare that marked — well, the rest of the nation not touched by permanent dwellings.

For the Maghreb was a land of tribes. A multitude. A plethora. Millions, possibly. And each an island of its own, unable to cooperate with the other, much less speak the same dialect. Therefore uprisings and civil war was the norm. Then there was the Timbuktu Pashalik, which had only risen in arms five years before. These cities of the Maghreb on the distant corners of the desert were the anchor to a raging sirocco that until Ismail ibn Cherif had threatened to tear the fiefdom apart.

But Ismail ibn Cherif of House Alaouite was now uncontested and paramount ruler of Morocco, Lord of Two Seas and Protector of the Faithful, and where he held court in the Francophilic Meknes, order and stability trickled down. The land was his by right and by force of arms, for it was only he that could unite this shattered realm after the Genoan War. True, as a somewhat enlightened despot he also had the tendency to veer too much into the despot half of his title, but he was king and his word was law, even if it meant a dozen arbitrary executions to keep the tribes in line.

Now in those flickering halls a man bloodied and mangled was being coaxed, more like dragged, across the mosaic floor of the central hall of the elaborate throne room to be brought to his knees — and the rest of his body slumped against the floor — before the great King of the Dunes.

"You are the... Genoan ambassador, yes?"

The man made a motion that could not have been any indication of an answer, but that did not matter.

"Tell your masters in Italy that the truce has expired. The time has come to renegotiate the terms. Ten thousand men are marching to If Genoa will not remove itself from Moroccan soil we will happily oblige."

Ismail judged that he was in no shape to be delivering the message. So he summoned a slave for a turban and some nails.

"What, do you expect him to snivel in front of his lords without the proper attire?"

Knowing what was expected of him, the slave wrapped the turban around his Italian scalp and nailed it into place. The screams were sickening and did not end quick enough. The ambassador was dragged away, and slaves hurried over to clean the floors up.

"Now, before I proceed to prayer, how fares the expeditionary force?"

His adjutant responded. "Ten thousand men are en route to Ceuta. Fifteen thousand men are being mustered to march to Ifni. Twenty thousand more are to be mobilised."

"And the navy?"

"Currently moving to blockade Ceuta."
Last edited by The Khedive on Sun Dec 14, 2014 10:44 pm, edited 2 times in total.
A tug springs at the strings from Seljuq Kyiv.

Estva
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Estva » Sun Dec 14, 2014 4:26 pm

Kazan, The Mongolian World State

Altan, Khan of Khans and nominal ruler of the world, sat upon his golden throne contemplating the status of his realm.

His ancestors had solidified for him a great Kingdom, encompassing many subjects and plentiful land. Countless cities paid him tribute and sent their sons to fight in his name. Christians, Muslims, and Pagans alike tossed aside their differences for the greater glory. Altan prided himself on the humanist tolerance the Mongols were famous for, descending from the legacy of the original Genghis Khan. The Christian states prsecuted everyone that did not accept the validity of the Pope or their church, and the same was done to the south by the Muslims. Eastwards, the remnants of what was once the Mongolian Empire have fallen to the depths of barbarism and tribalism. While the Mughals continued the legacy in India, and Altan himself continued the legacy in Russia, elsewhere the dreams of a peaceful earth lie forgotten. The great god of the earth had surely chosen its champions.

Some issues still persisted, of course. The Mongol vassals, dominating primarily in the south and east, had enforced an elective monarchy. "Elected", of course, by the Mongol vassals and the Russian delegates. While he was still an absolute monarch, these elections meant he could not always guarantee that his offspring would take the throne after his departure. Still, some argued this granted a stability many of the other feudal kingdoms failed to offer, as their constant civil war had proven.

In the northwest and west, Russian populations remained especially prominent. Novgorod, which had ever since declared fealty to the Golden Horde, eventually rebelled as the Kingdom centralized This rebellion, which attracted a variety of Russian city-states and principalities, was brutally crushed. Since then, each Russian province is ruled over by a Russian noble or plutocrat appointed for life(unless removed by the Khan) by the Khan himself. One the Khan dies, they too may vote upon an heir.

Quickly, Altan snapped out of it as one of his servants brought a letter from the Shahansha of Persia, desiring an alliance. The Georgians, having long pestered the Mongolians with their stalwart defense of the Caucasus, along with the occupation of Persian lands, were a common threat. Altan was inclined to agree, and began formulating a response to the proposal.

To the great Shahanshah Tahmasp II,

Indeed, the Georgians have long proven to be a nemesis to the peace-loving and brotherly nations of Persia and Mongolia. Friendship and mutual economic partnership would doubt benefit us both, and the brotherhood our warriors share shall suppress the indignant Georgians. I whole-heartily accept your proposal.

Sincerely,
Genghis Khan Altan
Join the Libdems.

Epraria
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 06, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Epraria » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:33 am

Le Royaume de France

Paris, Ile-de-France

The city of Paris was undoubtedly the single most important city in all of France. The city was on top of having the largest population also the official seat of power for the King of France Louis XIV who had spent much time and effort on creating monuments, palaces, churches and galleries inside the city in an effort to make it the second Rome of Europe. The real seat of power however was in the palace of Versailles where King Louis XIV resided and ruled France from.

Louis' reforms had thrown away the last remains of French feudalism and the state was centralized and focused on the orders of the king who had full power over the politics and decisions of France and her colonies. His rule had brought in a new series of expansions both into mainland Europe and in the colonies but this had also brought in enemies and foes to France including the old foe of England. This was the reason the alliance between Scotland and France had been established in the face of the common enemy of England.

So when the Scottish ambassador came and asked for support of the Scottish invasion of Ireland Louis XIV had only two choices. To either honor the alliance or hurt France's honor and decline it. The choice was in the eyes of the king easy. For surely what danger could Ireland posses to mighty France?

Nouvelle-Nantes, Vice-royauté de Nouvelle-France

New France was the youngest of France colonies in the Americas having been established around the city of new Nantes only in the 17th century. Despite that the colony was the largest France had in the Americas. The colony had originally been established around the city of new Nantes which was a good port and soon more settlements where made in the region as the fertile soil in the south helped the establishment of settlements while the fur trade and fishing to the north made more money for the continued expansion and investment in the colonies.

Royal decree of the King of the French
His grace King Louis XIV

To the honorable queen Margaret I of Scotland,

It is with honor and joy that I honor our alliance, of course France will join it's northern ally in the invasion of the Irish and the continuation of the long standing alliance between France and Scotland.

At the same time I would wish to ask for the hand of your daughter Mary in a royal marriage to my grandson Louis Le petit Dauphin so that the friendship and alliance that exists between our two nations can become stronger.

WIP
To be prettified and improved once I get a working computer.
You can call me Easy-E or Eppie if you want but you can if you are really lazy call me Ep.
I am Spanish so don't ever expect me to have anything close to perfect grammar.
Economic Left/Right: -1.00
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.97
98% of all Internet users would cry if Facebook broke down. If you are part of that 2% who simply would sit back and laugh, copy and paste this into your sig.
Myansaland wrote:
HorusLand wrote:How's the revolution going?

I will not pay my taxes this year :p

After all, I recieved a letter from the City of Warsaw recognizing me as an indepedent apartment.

Founding Member of LAVMEO
My proud anthem: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YQ5dSdxUGLc

Liecthenbourg
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 21, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Liecthenbourg » Mon Dec 15, 2014 9:00 am

The Polish-Lithuanian Commonwealth

Pro Fide, Lege et Rege!

Chapter 2;
Setting Foot on Stranger Shores

Grunty Koniec, Upper Canada, Canada (Modern Day Kingston)
The flotilla of a dozen colonial ships sat calmly in the St Lawrence River, creaking only slightly from some winds here and there. They had arrived as planned, here in the New World and South of Ostrow to the destination they wanted - the rather un-European Claimed but Native Inhabited land they Polish had dubbed "Grunty Koniec" only merely because of its proximity to the Great Lakes and the St Lawrence River. Here, led by Jesuits and Cooperative Natives, the settlers of many different backgrounds had begun their descent onto the land - 720 individuals in all that would soon call this place home. Polish Militia, that had followed the ships down from Ostrow to this new location, also began to help with the establishing of homes for all as well as unpacking the supplies of food both they and the ships had brought. The day looked bright for the Commonwealth, but no one was too comfortable for danger could lurk around any corner.

To: Her Royal Highness, Queen Margaret of Scotland.
From: His Royal Highness, Wladyslaw III, King of Poland, Grand Duke of Lithuania.

I am most honoured that you believe this to be a fine idea!
I believe either of those fine daughters of yours, Margaret let us say, could become betrothed to my youngest son, who is also currently twelve, Prince Konstantyn. He will become Lord of Krakow once he is of age.
I hope these terms are acceptable to you.

To: The Most Noble and Honourable Ruler of the Mughal Dynasty

Greetings Noble Ruler of the Indias, I come bearing a word for thee entailing an agreement between our two nations. They are similar, yours and mine for the simple fact of the diversity of faith within our own borders that has erupted into a Utopian Harmony of Peace and Equality. It would be most beneficial to both parties, if the Mighty Commonwealth, could perhaps secure a Trading Port within your lands. This would allow the Commonwealth's United Naval Traders could operate in a new area - this would bring European goods such as advanced firearms and tactics, as well as goods from the New World to the Mughal Markets and your exotic goods into my markets. I hope you can find a suitable agreement to this, and I hope if so, you can set a suitable price!

I eagerly await your response.
Last edited by Liecthenbourg on Mon Dec 15, 2014 10:04 am, edited 3 times in total.
Impeach Ernest Jacquinot Legalise Shooting Communists The Gold Standard Needs To Be Abolished Duclerque 1919
Grand-Master of the Kyluminati

The Region of Kylaris
I'm just a simple Kylarite, trying to make my way on NS.

The Gaullican Republic,
I thank God for Three Things:
Kylaris, the death of Esquarium, and Prem <3

The Transtsabaran Federation and The Chistovodian Workers' State

To understand European history watch these: Cultural erosion, German and Italian history, a brief history of Germany.

Timothia
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 04, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Timothia » Mon Dec 15, 2014 11:08 am

This, the fourth day of the second month of the one-thousand seven hundredth year of our Lord and the third year of the reign of His Majesty Philip-Louis, the second of his name, King of Sicily and Naples, King of Jerusalem, Duke of Naples, Sicily, Apulia, Spoleto, Capua, and Calabria, Duke of Athens and Neopatria, Crown of Achaea, Count of Neapolis, Taranto, Syracuse, and Palermo.

Royal Palace, Naples, Kingdom of Sicily

Fate seemed to have taken a turn for the worse in southern Italy. For the last century, the Kingdom of Sicily had been held safely away from the zealous Catholics of France, Spain, and Austria by a Papal decree that August the Noble, easily the greatest Sicilian ruler in history, had managed to obtain. But alas, the decree would reach the end of it's mandate in a meager four days, and there hadn't been any success thus far in reaching another agreement. This would be a challenge to the best monarchs in Europe, but sitting at the helm of Sicily was none other than Philip-Louis II, a seventeen year old who had only been in sole rule of the kingdom for a year. Perhaps, after centuries of managing to maintain their independence against all odds, this would finally be the decade that did in the Kingdom of Sicily.

Awkwardly, Philip-Louis fidgeted on his throne. A courtier was reporting the current state of affairs to him and the nobles all sat around him, listening far more attentively than he was. The courtier was reciting to Philip-Louis - who was at least thirty years the man's junior - the terms of the Unum Nil Nil Decree of 1600, the ruling by the Pope that "no Catholic ruler should war with Sicily on the grounds of their faith". This was basically the only reason that Sicily had lasted this long, the boy-king pondered silently. Sicily was certainly more powerful than most of the other Italian city-states, but they were no match for just one of the major Catholic powers, let alone all of them. How had August the Noble ever managed to convince the Pope to agree to this? It was unbelievable to the teenaged sovereign.

As the courtier droned on through the long-winded decree, Philip-Louis' mind wandered elsewhere. If he was to survive in the future as a Protestant Prince amongst Catholic Kings without the protection of the Pope, then there would have to an alliance with a major power. Of course, England and Sweden seemed like obvious choices because of their similarities in doctrine. But the other Protestant powers could do precious little in the Mediterranean: here, Sicily stood alone. Whoever they aligned themselves with would have to be able to intervene in their sphere, and that pretty much ruled out anyone who espoused their beliefs. An alliance with France was virtually an alliance against England, and that wasn't a good idea. Similarly, siding with Austria was all but siding against Sweden. Of course, the Muslim powers were not an option. Thus, this left Spain as the sole actual option. What a strange marriage of nations that would be...

"And what say you, Majesty?" asked the courtier. Apparently, the reading was over and a question or statement had been made which necessitated Philip-Louis' reply. But the king had not been listening, and now it caught up with him. In an attempt to save face, the young king cleared his throat as he tried his best to look thoughtful.

"I say that the statement be repeated so that I may better judge an answer." said Philip-Louis.

"If that is what your Majesty wishes, I shall oblige." answered the courtier as he turned over the document he had been reading and started it over once more. The King winced, for he had apparently just asked that the entire decree be re-read. These were the type of faux pas that he was making far too often in his short reign. He dared not make matters worse by interrupting the courtier, so he would just have to sit through another reading of the decree.

To His Majesty, Leopold, the first of his name, of the House of Habsburg, Emperor, King, Duke, Count, Lord-Mayor, Overlord, Guardian of the Danube, Master of the Adriatic, Lord-Protector of the the Holy Church, Defender of the Catholic Faith, etc.

From Philip-Louis, the second of his name, of the house Barcelona-Anjou, King, Duke, Crown, Count, etc.

Greetings, mighty Emperor! I pray that you prosper in all that God wills that you do! The just rule of your lands at your fair hand is a testament to the strength of centuries of nobility and royalty in your lineage and it also re-affirms your own personal skills and aptitude. Many pages could be filled with the stories and tales of your power and might, but that's not why I write to you this day.

This day, I write to you with a request. I shall not avoid that which I have to say, but rather I shall tell you without wasting your time, which I would think is quite valuable indeed. I need your assistance concerning the state of affairs in my Kingdom.

I am not a ruler who is advanced in his years, nor am I one who has a long life of collective wisdom from which to judge good decisions. But it is not difficult to recognize the dangerous situation that the Kingdom of Sicily stands in currently. The Unum Nil Nil decree has preserved my nation from the wroth of the other rulers of Europe. Indeed, my faith and the faith of my people is an issue for a great many people, especially in Italy. It has been said that the only thing holding back the floodgates of Catholics from Sicily is the Pope. However, now, I am not protected by the Pope.

As the Defender of your Faith, you are in, perhaps, the best situation to protect us and our independence. I don't ask you to embrace or protect what you consider heresy, I just ask you to preserve a Kingdom that the Pope found reason to protect, as well.

I believe that the marriage of my cousin, Anniballe, to a relative of yours would help to solidify an agreement between our nations and our families. We can pledge our armies and our navies to a mutual defensive agreement. I also wish to meet with the Empress of Spain, the Pope, and yourself in Rome some time this year to discuss the ending of the religious feuding which has come to be iconic of our continent. If you would be willing to make such a trip to Rome, then please indicate when you could do so and how that would work best.

As a showing of goodwill, I have sent you a set of very fine terra-cotta ceramic plates, which are, in my opinion, the most beautiful pieces of dinnerware that can be found anywhere. I sincerely hope to be able to meet with you shortly.

I graciously thank you for your time.

Philip-Louis de Barcelona-Anjou

To Her Majesty Isabella, the second of her name, of the house of Hapsburg-Nassau, Empress, Queen, Duchess, Countess, etc.

From Philip-Louis, the second of his name, of the house Barcelona-Anjou, King, Duke, Crown, Count, etc.

Fairest Empress, I give you the most sincere and kind-hearted greetings that I can offer. The stories of your just and noble rule have carried across the Mediterranean, but they have also carried south of your lands in Italy. Your subjects are fortunate to have a ruler as capable as yourself. I regret not yet having the chance to meet you, and propose that such an opportunity be arranged at the soonest possible convenience for both of us. I shall discuss this prospect in more detail shortly.

This day, I write to you with a request. My nights have become fearful fits of worry and my days have been only marginally better, and both for the same reason. There is a certain treaty that has held my Kingdom together for this last century of turmoil, and it expires presently. As you well know, I sit on the throne of a Protestant kingdom. Since before the days of the German or French or English or Scandinavian Protestants, our tradition has been one that espouses differences form the Catholic church. We harbor no anger nor any desire for vengeance for the persecutions that have ben brought upon our brothers the world over, but we are not certain that the Catholic which share borders with us feel the same.

I humbly request two things of you: that you not put us to the sword and that you encourage your fellow Catholic rulers to do the same. For Spain's voice is an influential one in Europe, and when you speak, others listen. We are not fools: we recognize when we are over-matched. A Catholic purging of Sicily would result in our ultimate defeat. But the loss of lives - nay, the loss of brothers, fathers, and sons - would not bring glory to the God we both recognize. It is true that we both worship the same Lord; would it bring him glory to murder one another?

I propose that you meet with me in the city of Rome with the Pope and the Holy Roman Emperor. I believe that we can clear up our religious differences and end these wars of faith once and for all, turning our eyes to more productive endeavors. If you would be able make such a voyage, then please make this known to the emissary who brought the letter. Ideally, we would meet over the summer, but the date entirely depends on what is convenient for the Pope, the Emperor, and yourself.

As a showing of goodwill, I have sent you a set of very fine terra-cotta ceramic plates, which are, in my opinion, the most beautiful pieces of dinnerware that can be found anywhere. I sincerely hope to be able to meet with you shortly.

I graciously thank you for your time.

Philip-Louis de Barcelona-Anjou
Last edited by Timothia on Tue Dec 16, 2014 12:53 pm, edited 3 times in total.
The only unofficial person in the room still wearing a monocle. ಠ_ರೃ

The Kingdom of Glitter
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby The Kingdom of Glitter » Mon Dec 15, 2014 4:28 pm

The Kingdom of Scotland

Kinrick o Scotland | Rìoghachd na h-Alba

Queen Margaret's War
Warrenpynt, Ulster | February 1700 Anno Domini

With reassurance from the French and the Swedes, Queen Margaret and her many advisers believed the time for war with Ireland had come. She ordered the movement of all available troops, totaling in almost 9,500 men to Warrenpynt on the border of Ulster and the Irish Confederation, to prepare for the intended surprise attack. The men were housed in temporary camps set up overnight on the properties of farmers in the area, who offered to loan their land to the Scottish government in exchange for some compensation. After all the final weeks of winter were approaching and the land was unused anyway, but Queen Margaret demanded that the farmers be justly compensated for the use of their land. Men were also being garrisoned in houses throughout the small town and the surrounding area. Similar to the farmers, the homeowners were paid for the voluntary hospitality. The Scotch-Irish people of Ulster were more than willing to sacrifice for a cause rather close to them, as they had always lived in fear of an Irish invasion and subsequent occupation of Ulster.

The movement of Scottish forces was noticed by those close to the border in Ireland, and the Scottish Ambassador in Kilkenny was summoned to James II of Ireland's Court. Ambassador Ferguson had since fled the country for the Isle of Man. Suspicions were further raised with the abrupt exit of the ambassador, but before the Irish King could do much the Royal Scots Army had already crossed the border. Simultaneously the Yellow Squadron based out of Bilfawst and the White Squadron based out of Glasgow headed for the Irish Sea and the coast of Dulbin. This was all done without confirmation that Edinburgh voted to declare war, but the generals knew they could count on a declaration, and thus the war began.

Edinburgh, Scotland | February 1700 Anno Domini

Scottish troops had crossed the border from Ulster into Ireland at exactly eight o'clock on the morning of 4 February, 1700. It was a time and date carefully chosen by the Scots. The fourth was the first Sunday of February, and the ever loyal Catholics who made up the overwhelming majority of the Irish population would all be attending their Sunday Mass, or at least begin preparing to do so. It was at seven o'clock that same day that Queen Margaret called a special session of Parliament, and the House of Lords overwhelming voted to approve her declaration of war. There as next to no opposition from the Lords, as many viewed the Irish as sub-human and Meath as rightful Scottish lands. There was some resistance from the Highland and Ulster Lords, some of which were part Irish themselves. However, they were Scotch-Irish, which was acceptable throughout the Kingdom and the Scotch-Irishmen of the realm were treated just like any other Scot was. The Scots viewed the Irish as a race with distaste and distrust, caused by a centuries old conflict over the status of Ulster. The Ulster Inheritance was one of the driving forces behind the establishment of the Irish Confederation, and the strong sense of Irish identity shown throughout the newly formed nation posed a threat to Scottish interests on the island. The Scots had also inherited the last Duke of Ulster's claims to the Duchy of Meath, which was eventually absorbed into the Confederation. Dublin, the former Duchy's capital, was the largest city on the island, and by far its most valuable. And for that reason the Scots had every intent on claiming it for themselves.

Queen Margaret was also a strong proponent of Scottish strength, an ideal instilled in her by her late father, James VII. The unification of Ireland strongly worried the late king, who feared the Irish would strike Scotland the moment she showed weakness and try and reclaim Ulster as their own. James VII would of course have none of that, and ensured his heir would maintain the same policy. He reformed the Scottish military and began a campaign against the Irish in Scotland, first among the nobility and eventually used the clergy to bring the campaign to his subjects. His ploy worked, and over the past several decades the Scots began to largely think that Ireland was rightfully theirs.

After the Declaration of War was passed, Queen Margaret ordered the Lord High Marshal to oversee the mobilization of the reserves and also ordered him to begin a conscription campaign across the country. Word was also sent to the various Chiefs of Scotland's ancient clans, and the clans began to mobilize their own militias to be sent to Ireland. The Borders Clans, as they were known throughout the Kingdom, were mobilized but would not travel to Ireland, instead they would ensure that Scotia's borders with the dastardly English would be guarded should they intervene. This was not expected, as the Scots largely believed the Danes would not risk war with Scotland and her allies abroad because the English would view their interests in Ireland under Scottish threat. Regardless, the centuries old fear of an invasion from the South still existed throughout Scotland, and for that reason alone the borders would be guarded.

It was estimated that an extra 10,000 men could be raised from the reserves, new conscripts, and clans. However, this was no cheap task and the government would incur debt. The issue of payment seen crept into the House of Lords, who debated three solutions: a loan from the Royal Bank of Scotland and the Bank of Scotland, a loan from a foreign bank to help establish a further continental presence, or the collection of war taxes from the various estates of Scotland. Since the Dissolution of the Monasteries and the seizure of all Catholic and Papal lands throughout Scotland, the traditional second estate ceased to exist, as the clergy of the Kirk of Scotland did not enjoy the luxury of the Catholic priests and bishops in their newly created Presbyterian society. For that reason the third estate, which previously consisted of everyone except the nobility and the clergy, ascended to the status of the second estate. All of the Lords came from the first estate, and many did not wish to pay higher taxes. However, through the persuasion of Queen Margaret and Earl Seaforth they soon realized they could not start a war they could not themselves show support for. It was then decided that the government would collect a war tax from both estates and likely seek a much smaller loan from either a Scottish or a foreign bank.

Dundalk, Irish Confederation | February 1700 Anno Domini

After the Royal Scots Army had crossed the border into Ireland they quickly came upon the town of Dundalk. Castle Roche was the only defense Dundalk had, and should the castle fall the town would quickly follow. It was home to a garrison of 1,500 men, and the castle's thick walls would not make the siege easy. 9,500 Scots laid siege to the castle, who were waiting on reinforcements from Ulster who would arrive in the form of a civilian militia. The remainder of Ulster's army would defend the rest of the border with Ireland in order to ensure an invasion was not launched by Connacht, the duchy that directly bordered Ulster.

Due to their strong relationship with the French and the Swedes, the Scottish military fielded some of the most modern equipment on the continent, far more advanced than the largely outdated Irish weaponry. Castle Roche's walls were no match for Scotland's cannons, and the Battery quickly blew sizable holes in two different sections of the castle's walls. The castle's tall towers soon came crashing town on top of her, crushing many of the Irish soldiers within her walls. The Scots quickly began a charge, led by the Royal Scots Cavalry. The charge was still supported by cannon fire that would continue to rain down upon the castle as long as the Cavalry remained out of range. What remained of Castle Roche's garrison was no match for the Sons of Scotland, as the Scots quickly moved in and slaughter the garrison. Not a single one of Ireland's sons survived the siege, and only 972 brave Scots lost their lives in the Siege of Castle Roche. The Royal Scots Army quickly regrouped and headed for Dundalk herself. They took the city with no resistance, largely due to the fact that the city's fortifications were destroyed by Lord Limerick during the 17th century after he commissioned the construction of streets leading to the town center. The process required the demolition of the old walls and castles that once protect the town, leaving her defenseless should Castle Roche fall.

The militia had arrived from Ulster which would be used to occupy the town. The Scottish base of command was set up in Saint Patrick's Church, the towns Roman Catholic presence. It was also where most of the civilian population was during the siege of Castle Roche. The Irish would not be barred from worship, but several of the church's rooms were handed over to the Scottish command. Word had inevitably escaped Dundalk and would eventually travel south for Dublin. The Scots then began the march south for Drogheda, and en route to the city they would capture every village and town they came across. The reinforcements were scheduled to arrive in Ulster shortly, and would eventually meet the Scottish army at Drogheda and the two armies would head for Dublin together.

Drogheda, Irish Confederation | February 1700 Anno Domini

The Scots had soon made their way to Drogheda, the next town key to their conquest in Meath, Drogheda was a walled city, unlike Dundalk, and would be much harder to take. The Irish soldiers had retreated inside the city walls to prepare a defense. In total there were 2,800 Irish defenders up against the 11,000 Scottish attackers. The Scottish numbers grew after several clans were able to land in Clogherhead and meet up with the advancing Scottish army for the Siege of Drogheda. The most strongest of the clans was Clan Mackenzie, who had sailed from Gordonsburgh, accompanied by their historical allies Clan MacLeod and Clan MacRae, too meet up with several clans from Cumbria and the Ayr region. Together the Clans landed in the small village and captured it without resistance. Lord Kintail, the brother of Clan Mackenzie's Chief, lead the clans fort towards Drogheda and quickly arrived at the city during the siege.

The siege started on 20 February and eight days later on the final day of the month, 29 February. 1700 was a leap year, and it was by chance that the siege ended on the leap day itself. Most of the Irish defenders were killed by the Scottish forces, and the remaining, a total of 683 were taken prisoner. They were going to be sent to the Darien Colony, which was intended to be divided into to administrative regions. The area surrounding Darien Port would be home to Scottish colonists, the other half of the colony would become a penal colony where prisoners were forced to build or work on various plantations.

Two days after on 2 March the reinforcing army had arrived from Ulster. 12,500 Scots had arrived from Scotland, under the leadership of the Prince Consort, Karl Torstensson. He was a skilled tactician and would surely lead the Scots to victory. The army that they had met in Drogherhead had only lost 150 men during the siege of the city and had extremely high morale. And thus march forth a force of nearly 23,350 for the Irish city of Dublin.

Holywell, Ulster | February 1700 Anno Domini

The Battle of Holywell was fought during the siege of Drogherhead on the other side of Ireland. 3,500 soldiers marched from Connacht under the leadership of the Duke of Connacht, Duke Ruaidhrí VII. to stage an invasion of Ulster. On the border they met 1,250 Ulsterian soldiers and 300 volunteers from the area. The battle raged on and the defending Ulsterians were forced to retreat after losing roughly half of their forces. Word was however sent to the other regiments guarding the border who quickly mobilized and made their way for Inniskillin, the town where the retreating Ulsterian army was heading. 6,000 men met up in the city and received the defeated army that had 792 men remaining. Volunteers quickly took up arms and joined the soldiers in order to push the Irish out of Holywell, and nearly 7,200 men marched to retake the village,

The Second Battle of Holywell was quickly won by the Scots, who were able to outnumber the Irish army almost three to one. The battle was utter slaughter for the defeated Irish, and the Duke of Connacht and his two sons were all captured. Only 159 of the Duke's men remained living, and all were taken prisoner, eventually they would share the same fate as the other Irish prisoners of war, exile to the plantations of Central America. The Duke and his sons, however, would not share the same fate as their men and would remain in Ulster to be used as leverage against the Irish Confederation in the peace treaty.

Stamullen, Irish Confederation | March 1700 Anno Domini

By now the Irish armies had plenty of time to regroup and assemble in the south. King James II met with the Duke of Meath, Duke Seamus IV in Dublin after the two had raised their armies. The Duke of Munster was slowly mobilizing his forces, much to the dismay of the King. The Duke of Connacht had raised his own army and headed for Ulster, with the Irish King's approval. However, it was unknown to those in Dublin that he was defeated and captured. The Irish also did not know what to expect from the advancing Scottish army. Rumors circulated that the Scots only had 10,000 men, others reported they had 30,000, another said 100,000. King James ignored the rumors, but his army of only 4,000 did not. Combined with the Duke of Meath's 6,000 man army, the Irish had an army of 10,000 men. Civilian volunteers from across Meath and Leinster had joined the King's forces, adding another 15,000 men to the Irish forces. Should the Duke of Meath mobilize in time they would raise a total of 19,000. However, time was not a friend to the Irish King, as reports had arrived from Drogherhead that 13,000 Scots had attacked the city. Confident he had the numbers to defeat the Scots, he and his army left Dublin to retake Drogherhead. Little did King James know what lied in store for him at the tiny village of Stamullen.

WIP
Last edited by The Kingdom of Glitter on Tue Dec 16, 2014 3:22 pm, edited 4 times in total.

The Holy Dominion of Inesea
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 08, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Holy Dominion of Inesea » Mon Dec 15, 2014 6:57 pm

[align=center]

Kingdom of Georgia, Bagrationi Empire

Tbilisi
January of 1700[
/align]

-Prepare forces to defend North and South
-Order invasion of Kuwait Sultanate
-Prepare Colonial Expedition to Maldives

Fort Basra
February of 1700

-Invasion of Kuwait Sultanate

Hamedan
February of 1700

-Prepare fortification line
I'm really tired

The Grand Republic of Hannover
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby The Grand Republic of Hannover » Mon Dec 15, 2014 8:44 pm

Genoa

The republic is in crisis! After the dishonorable declaration of war by Morocco, the government had to act quickly and decisively. After receiving the badly injured diplomat from Morocco with the grudging message, Doge Remei di Savona knew that time was crucial if Genoa wanted to have a chance in this war. The exaltation of his advisers was evident. Some yelled, "Let's execute their diplomat!", "Drown that bastard in our seas!" Yet, the Doge, with a calm voice, signaled them to calm down. Thereafter, he said, "Gentlemen. I would agree with your demands if Genoa was an uncivilized nation. If this prestigious republic was a country inhabited by the worse human kind can deliver, I would accept. I would ride with you down that path. However, this is Genoa, we respect international customs and tradition." The men sat down. The Doge continued, "The Moroccan ambassador is not to be touched. He is safe within the embassy as international customs prescribed. However, I do not want that man to ever put a foot outside that complex. From this moment on, the entire complex shall be surrounded by the army - down to sewers, I want the army completely blocking any possible exit." The men were taking notes attentively. "We are in war, this ambassador may as well become a spy if is let out."

The Doge called the Supreme Council for an emergency meeting. Generals and Admirals were asked to join. At the meeting, the different decided that the best tactic to take was to use the sea as an advantage. They ordered a war fleet to take off towards Ceuta to initiate a general blockade of the Moroccan coast. When the fleet arrives to Ceuta they will commence operations following the directions of the Admirals. Additionally, the navy protecting Genoan lands was put on high alert for any intrusion or invasion by the Moroccan army - the Doge's main concerned was to keep the war from spilling over to other lands. The different patrol fleets were reinforced with more war ships and each of these fleets were required to report back every hour following a secret code established within the navy. Near mainland Genoa, new fleets were dispatched in order to significantly increase the security of the heart of the nation.

Another worry of the Doge was that merchants and investors would panicked putting in danger a possible economic downturn. Because of this concern, the Genoan Council ordered to increase the security of the trading lines used by the merchants going to the city. A public statement assuring the merchants from the city and from abroad was issued the following day.

UNDER CONSTRUCTION.
Last edited by The Grand Republic of Hannover on Tue Dec 16, 2014 4:00 pm, edited 4 times in total.
NSG - Independent. Senator Daniel Krumholz
1870 Real-World RP - Colombia
2014 RP - Colombia
Marsisian Communist Revolution - Hannover
1913 RP - Great Britain

You may also contact me at Here

Carathon
Senator

Founded: Jun 26, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Carathon » Tue Dec 16, 2014 8:29 pm

Nihil Sine Deo
Nothing Without God

The Eastern Marches of Antioch.
MDCC Anno Domini - February 11th, 1700.

It was ironic.

Frederick IV, Crown Prince of Constantinople and Hochmeister of the Teutonic Order stroked his chin at the aftermath of the battle, of trampled grass, of split trees and shattered corpses broken like the dolls of a raging infant. He had been raised his own life to view the Turks, the Moslems as the enemy - as some nearly inhuman, borderline pagans, child sacrificing, heretics who must be destroyed. And yet, when he looked to his men and the Turkish men, it was only then did he realize how similar they truly were. Not through the idealistic rhetoric of the so-called "enlightment" nor some story-bookish act of kindness from a heathen, no.

It was through combat, pure and brutal that he realized that no-matter if they wore a turban or tricorne or if they screamed prayers to Muhammad or Jesus Christ, all these men were naught but indistinguishable animals caught in the adrenaline-fueled throes, fighting savagely for survival, bleeding crimson and groaning in pain all the same. With another volley of organized fire, Frederick's Teutonic Knights drove the Turkish raiders from the field. The fact that they were no-where near to properly drilled soldiers showed in their retreat - disorganized, frantic and frenzied. He almost felt bad as he nodded to the commander of his cuirassier unit, almost fell bad as he swung his sabre downwards, almost fell bad as his men mounted upon horses fired their pistols into the backs of the routed raiders before moving forth to cut them down with blades.

Almost.

It was two years since the Marcher Lords of the eastern part of the Empire began reporting increasing raids by local Sunni Warlords and Emirs. This was neglected, since the Marchs were specifically military in nature and created as a buffer between the dangerous Moslem Lords and the rest of the Empire. However as news of Sunni getting as far as Antioch, a political and religious center within Romania, and carrying off women and children in the night, Heinrich finally decided to send his first son with a contingent of Teutonic Knights, as the Crown Prince was traditionally the simultaneous Grandmaster of the Teutonic Order though the actual defacto status of this varied greatly, as some Crown Princes wore it as nothing more then a ceremonial title, or outright handed it off to a regent until his son would be born.

Frederick rallied the Marcher soldiers and his Knights, and launched numerous counter-attacks, burning many encampments and liberating prisoners while also giving plunder away to the civilians and the Marcher Lords, giving him a measure of popularity amongst them. By the new-year, Frederick had launched a expedition deep into Armenia, before withdrawing back to Antioch to smash several raiding parties that he managed to draw into the opening with harassing parties. Now, he withdrew his forces behind Antioch, allowing the Marcher Lords to resume primary defense of the borders and giving his soldiers most needed rest.

The Crown Prince was lounging with a bottle of wine, and was just about to begin to write in his military journal ( he dreamed of having them wildly read, similar to Julius Caesar's accounts of the conquest of Gaul ) when several of his Knights led in a messenger.

"My Prince." The messenger was unusually silent - normally they tried to "subtly" pester him about granting perhaps a land grant or so to what-ever minor family they were apart of. But this one was grim.

He extended his hand to the parchment, looking up and down it's contents.

Frederick opened his mouth, but he found it dry as the deserts of the Levant and his throat coarse and aching.

"My father..... dead?" The Messenger nodded grimly. The Crown Prince collapsed backwards in his chair, and downed the rest of the wine. "The plague of all things?" He glanced to the messenger.

"He was.... said to have been rambling and cursing and challenging God himself in his final hours. He was found struck dead the next-day." Frederick stepped up to his feet, looking to his Teutonic Knight. "Rally the men, and cut the festivities short."

The Eastern Marches of Antioch.
MDCC Anno Domini - March 28th, 1700.

The new Emperor sat uneasy on his throne. One day a Crown Prince fighting in the deserts and plains of Anatolia, and the next the ruler of a entire Empire? He was conditioned for this his entire life in his role as a Crown Prince, but it still felt as if a dream more then anything else. There was many things to do - his actual coronation for once, the Imperial Diet which was required upon the recent ascension of a new Monarch among other things. Not to mention he went through three food-tasters and a dozen guards in the first week alone. Besides that however, it was suspiciously quiet. A lull before the storm. He figured, and decided to make several edicts before the inevitably revolts came. Sighing, he motioned to a servant.

Serene Doge Remei di Savona,

Emperor Heinrich V von Hohenzollern of the Empire of Romania is dead. I, Frederick von Hohenzollern, fourth of his name has ascended to the throne in Constantinople and any prior agreements between him and your republic are now considered null and void upon his untimely death. Much of your Republic lays in Greece and Crimea, which is close in proximity and relies on the Empire as both a buffer and utilizes both the Bosphorus and other commerical trade-routes.

In response to this, I have decided it only just to levy onto you an additional tax. You will now be required to pay an additional one-hundred thousand guilders or the equal of one-hundred thousand coins minted of fifty-four grains of fine gold monthly. Declining this, both the Bosphorus and Imperial trade-lanes will be closed to you and any good seized.

To prosperous relations, Emperor Frederick IV of Romania.

Hail Sovereign George X of the Georgian Realm,

It is relieving to know there is a fellow Christian realm in this sea of heretics and plotting heathens. However, the Empire has fallen on somewhat lean times. Regrettably, we are forced to levy a monthy tax of fifty-thousand guilders guilders or the equal of fifty thousand coins minted of fifty-four grains of fine gold monthly. We hope sincerely that we will be able to continue a prosperous trade relationship between our two nations, but if this is refused we will regrettably be forced to close the Bosphorus, your nation's only reasonable avenue of trade besides a incredibly impractical route around Africa.

Nihil Sine Deo, Emperor Frederick IV of Romania.

Fellow Good Christian Rulers of Europe,

I am Frederick von Hohenzollern, Emperor in Constantinople, fourth of his name. I have recently ascended to the throne, and at the age of twenty-three remains unmarried. Thusly, I have decided to look amongst the Great Houses of Europe for a suitable bride. The Empire is good and generous to it's allies, and no bond is more sacred then that of marriage, as the Good Lord decreed. Enclosed in this letter, is a portrait of myself and the most complete Genealogy of House Hohenzollern.

Also, I would not forget any nation that would be so kind and wise as to send experienced military advisors to aid in Romania's planned military reforms. While we cannot afford to pay much for this service, such a investment would surely pay off in the form of a powerful ally.

Finally, if a nation has prisoners convicted of minor crimes, preferably of Germanic descent, we would gladly take them as the Anatolian region of Romania is in dire need of settlers as it has a great abundance of fertile - but empty land.

God with you, Emperor Frederick IV von Hohenzollern.

Frederick after finishing writing the letters, handed them off to his administrators to be delivered quickly to their destinations. He rubbed his temples, pulled his ermine cloak about him and promptly gathered several more administrators. He ordered a small subside of grain for the poor, renovation of several decayed aqueducts in Constantinople and for three-thousand experienced men of decent height and weight from the marches to be gathered with the promise of increased wages to form the nucleus of a new Imperial Army.

The Emperor retired to his chambers with several maps of Wallachia and Egypt.
I am from the United States, just so you know.

Male.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse