NATION

PASSWORD

And There Was Light (IC|Closed)

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Astrolinium
Post Czar

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Ex-Nation

And There Was Light (IC|Closed)

Postby Astrolinium » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:27 pm

OOC thread can be found here.
בְּרֵאשִׁית בָּרָא אֱלֹהִים אֵת הַשָּׁמַיִם וְאֵת הָאָרֶץ
וְהָאָרֶץ הָיְתָה תֹהוּ וָבֹהוּ וְחֹשֶׁךְ עַל
פְּנֵי תְהוֹם וְרוּחַ אֱלֹהִים מְרַחֶפֶת עַל פְּנֵי הַמָּיִם
וַיֹּאמֶר אֱלֹהִים יְהִי אוֹר וַיְהִי אוֹר
— הקודש התנ"ך
Ἐν ἀρχῇ ἐποίησεν ὁ Θεὸς τὸν οὐρανὸν καὶ τὴν γῆν.
ἡ δὲ γῆ ἦν ἀόρατος καὶ ἀκατασκεύαστος, καὶ σκότος
ἐπάνω τῆς ἀβύσσου, καὶ πνεῦμα Θεοῦ ἐπεφέρετο ἐπάνω τοῦ
ὕδατος. καὶ εἶπεν ὁ Θεός· γενηθήτω φῶς· καὶ ἐγένετο φῶς.
— Η Αγία Γραφή
in principio creavit Deus caelum et terram
terra autem erat inanis et vacua et tenebrae
super faciem abyssi et spiritus Dei ferebatur super
aquas dixitque Deus fiat lux et facta est lux
— Biblia Sacra

AND THERE WAS LIGHT
A Roleplay

Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers — Thursday, June 20th, 2019
12:37 PM

A lone marine walked in front of the Tomb of the Unknown Soldiers. He had been doing so for forty-two minutes. Take twenty-one steps. Face tomb for twenty-one seconds. Face other way on mat, wait twenty-one seconds. Repeat until relieved. He took his duty very seriously, for it had gained a new level of sacredness in recent years. The United States of America was hardly an entity anymore, with Congress long dissolved and the Supreme Court long out of session. Martial law reigned supreme. Leland Walsh controlled the White House, the White House controlled the Marines, and the Marines controlled the District of Columbia and the areas immediately surrounding it. This holy duty was one of the last vestiges of that perpetual union, of that one nation under God, of that American Republic. Here came the part where he faced the tomb. He had been doing this duty so long that he no longer needed to count the seconds; it was all muscle memory at this point. He glanced briefly at the words etched in the pure white marble: “Here rests in honored glory an American Soldier known but to God.”

Then came the gunshots. Two of them. Blood. Darkness for the lone marine. For the first time since 1937, no soldier stood guard over the tomb. The vagrant, hands shaking, dropped his handgun. He bent over the marine and began to search the body for anything valuable that he could barter away for food.

Babylon, North Carolina — Thursday, June 20th, 2019
12:42 PM

Welcome to Babylon, North Carolina, located just south of Fuquay-Varina and just north of the line that separates Wake County from Harnett County. The population was 3,057 at the last census, but that was ten years ago. Today, the town’s population has been reduced to maybe a third of what it was before. When the United States government fell, the State of North Carolina soon followed, leaving the little town to fend for itself. One by one its neighbors became ghost towns. But not Babylon; a sense of hope still persists here. When the power went out, they began to use candles. When the water was shut off, they began boiling water taken from a nearby stream. But the world is dying and there’s no getting around it. Just as despair finally began to set in, though, twelve of the townsfolk have received a vision from God as they slept: “Nothing lasts for ever, not even me. So take my words into thy brain and heed them carefully. Get thee to a Hallowed space, twixt two Virgin Lands. There, in the Unknowns’ place, salvation is at hand.”

It was a cold and gloomy day. There were so many cold and gloomy days lately; one might begin to mistake the small town of Babylon for England. Last night it had rained hard, leaving the ground wet and spongy. The smell of moisture was still thick in the air even at noon. Though it was late June, the temperature was a measly 62° F. Most people — the ones left, anyway — were cooped up in their homes, trying to enjoy lunch. Exactly nine cars were sitting on Main Street. It had been years since any of them had been driven. Soon, twelve people would file onto the street, all congregating in front of the First Baptist Church of Babylon. Each of them had received a vision from God amidst the previous night’s downpour. And each of them had gained an inexplicable urge to gather in front of the Church just now. There, there was someone waiting for them. The woman must have been at least ninety. Her back was bent with the weight of extreme age, and her skin was leathery and wrinkled. Her silvery hair was pulled into a tight bun, and horn-rimmed spectacles adorned her face. A faint glow seemed to surround her person.
Last edited by Astrolinium on Wed Jun 20, 2012 12:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jul 01, 2008
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:45 pm

"Papa Isaac, do you really have to go?"

A red headed little girl sat beside a large man, in a pair of faded overalls, and a weathered looking AC/DC hat, on his front porch. He simply patted her on the head, trying to gather his thoughts. It took him a little long sometimes.

"I have to go. The dream told me I have to go. Tyler will take care of you and the others while I am gone. Be a good girl, and listen to him. I promise to come back as soon as I can. Now, go back inside. Breakfast should be ready."

She gave the man, Isaac Wells was his name, a big hug, and reluctantly went back inside the ramshackle shack. Isaac just as reluctantly rose from his sitting position, and started towards the place his dream told him to go.

"Got to go to the church..."
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Eric Lumen: Ultimate Chad
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Ameri does the impossible.
Fire the Ameri.
Sinovet wrote:Ameri's like Honey badger. He don't give a fuck.

Krazakistan wrote: He is a force of negativity for the sake of negativity

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Founded: May 16, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Tue Jun 19, 2012 9:48 pm

Roberta had taken up a residence beneath the tightly packed, sturdy branches of a tall oak tree the previous night, and now he awoke, sitting up quickly and hitting his head on the cloth above him, the tent that he'd pitched due to the rain. His bare chest heaved up and down with the motion of his breathing as he panted, gazing around the tent. He'd seen something strange, something almost divine as one would describe it. He couldn't remember what it was, but he had an inexplicable desire to continue south and to fulfill the promise he'd made to himself--to abandon this life of crime and benefiting only from stealing from others what they'd fought hard to earn themselves in this chaotic world.

It had been five hours since he'd ditched his crew of bandits back north, five hours since he'd sealed the fate of the rest of his life, and five hours since he'd tricked them into thinking he'd headed back north quickly without waking them because he'd spotted the greatest takings they'd ever steal from an unsuspecting traveler and hadn't wanted to lose sight of the small caravan. Of course, it was all fake, a wild goose chase to make them waste their time before they caught on that he'd tricked them into wasting their time, heading back in the direction that they'd just come from, and throw them off of his trail for quite some time, maybe for the rest of his life if he was lucky. Or blessed.

He stood, sliding into the tattered and stained grey T-shirt that he usually wore and shook his head, his black hair falling down around his forehead and just barely reaching past his eyebrows. He took a sip of water from a water bottle that he had in the backpack he typically carried with him, tossing the bottle back into the bag before zipping it up and picking it up from the ground and slinging it over his shoulder, where he was used to having it and where it was always supposed to be. If he lost the bag, he lost almost all of his supplies and possibly his only chance at survival in the piss poor state the United States and the world found itself in of late. He stamped out the small fire he'd made, the light disappearing quickly, the area under the tree becoming slightly dark but still lit by the early morning sun.

The ground was wet as he stomped his way southward, hoping in vain that the next ridge he made it over would yield to him the sight of a new town, a new chance, a new life to live and forget about the things he'd taken, and the people he'd most likely doomed because he'd stolen all of their supplies, to ensure his own survival. He didn't feel guilty about making sure he stayed alive. There was nothing to feel guilty about in watching out for yourself, being a little selfish to make sure you lived to fight another day, he was only guilty in the method in which he'd done so. To his surprise, as he topped a hill which he'd been slowly climbing, below he saw a town standing, lonely.

Quickly, he ran down the hill, almost tripping on several occasions. The backpack over his shoulder bobbed up and down and the supplies inside rattled, creating quite a racket as he came down the hill. He spotted a rabbit dart out of the way of his path, and he reached the bottom of the hill with a large smile on his face. It seemed dead inside the town, and for good reason. For June it was clearly far too cold, as had been nature's preferred method of apocalypse for mankind, freezing them out, though it was relatively mild now, not too bad but not really good either.

He stopped as he entered the town, going into a blank state. He stared ahead like a zombie, before something forced him to turn. He shook his head, regaining some semblance of self-awareness as he proceeded towards the church. He didn't know why, but it struck him as a good idea at the time, and he walked towards it without hesitation. He spotted an elderly lady standing outside of the chapel, and he sped up his stride, and found for some reason he also thought it was a good idea to get her attention.

"Miss?" he said as he stopped outside of the church. She looked like she'd been expecting something, there was no other reason Roberta could fathom that such an old woman should be standing out in the moist, somewhat cold and dreary weather that hung in the air this morning.
If you ever need advice on writing, help creating an RP of your own, or just generally need any kind of help, feel free to TG! I've been around the block in my old age.

Member of The Council of the Multiverse community. Click me to find out more!

Check out The Living Waste of Mekhallah, an original low-fantasy setting.

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 02, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Tue Jun 19, 2012 10:35 pm

Boleslaus Krakowski came to after one hell of a bizarre dream. Not quite sure about what to do, he lingered in his bed for a few minutes. Figuring that was as good a time as any to haul himself out of bed, he threw on some clothes and stumbled outside to the nearest bush in the backyard to relieve himself. He then walked back in to fix a little something to eat, and, having made a sandwich, went into the living room where his parents were sitting quietly, not sure what, if anything, there was to say.

As he ate, he pondered the meaning the dream had. Hallowed ground? he mused to himself. The only hallowed ground here is the church. Well, I suppose it's worth a shot.

Before he spoke, you could have heard the head of a pin drop. He finished his sandwich, ran upstairs, put on something a bit more appropriate, and ran back downstairs.

"Mom? Dad? I think I'll head over to the church. Something tells me that's where I should be right now."
"Alright, son. Just be careful out there. So much has happened lately," was the reply from his father.

Having gotten that out of the way, he left and walked the two blocks to the church. Already, a few people had gathered...

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Wed Jun 20, 2012 11:20 am

Amanda had been fetching water from the near by stream. She was wearing her rain coat. It was all that could warm her.
She could never afford an actual winter coat. Not that it mattered, since it wasn't winter.
It was the end of spring and the beginning of summer, but the temperature felt that a cool autumn.

She filled her bucket up with water. She would not be the one to use it. The sick needed the water, not her.
She was healthy as can be. She considered herself lucky because of this. Most would leave the sick to die, but not her.
She picked up her bucket and started walking towards Babylon.
"This might be the last bucket of water they get from me,," She thought to herself, "I'm sorry."

She dropped the bucket at one of the houses. If this were a normal day she would ring go inside and boil the water herself.
She knocked on the door. Out of the two that were living in the house, she knew one of them was well enough to get the water and boil it.
She pulled the hood of her jacket over her head and left the doorway.

She headed down the street towards the baptist church. No one was on the streets.
She was all alone on the road and that was how she liked it. She started humming a song that her grandma taught her.
She couldn't remember the lyrics, but she could remember the tune. It was a sad tune, but it always made Amanda feel warm inside.

She approached the church. There was an old lady, and two men. Both of them looked roughly her age.
She wouldn't let them get close to her. She didn't trust people, especially men.
Something was different about the old lady though. She seemed different.
Last edited by Lost Heros on Sun Mar 6, 2016 12:00, edited 173 times in total.

You can send me a TG. I won't mind.

"The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot." - Salvador Dali

New England and The Maritimes
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Aug 13, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby New England and The Maritimes » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:45 pm

It was half past noon; time for lunch. The sun was high up, but was obscured by a bleak-looking sky. It was 62 out; temperature fluctuations were something he was used to. Danny breathed a sigh of relief on walking out the door. The cold sapped some of the excess humidity. As he walked out the back door of the restaurant, he wound up just plopping in front of a weathered down old parking space. Right here, right now, he remembered he would have been taking a smoke break. If things had gone differently, that's what he'd do.

It had been so long since the fall that he quit out of necessity. There were no cigarettes left, anyway. He was rushed in the morning, and hadn't thought to bring his lunch with him. Just time to take his lunch hour waiting around doing nothing. As he sat down on the old concrete bumper, Danny stretched out. First his legs in front of him, then his arms over his head. His shirt was worn and had shrunk a bit, and it pulled up to reveal his stomach as he stretched. He was never a big guy, but the fall put him on necessity. He was smaller than ever lately, and wondered if he might be starting to suffer from malnutrition after last week's messed up grocery haul.

Out of the corner of his eye, he spotted a small crowd out in front of the church down the street. People seemed to be swarming to it compared to the usual dead silence of town.

"What's all this?" He mumbled to himself. Danny stood up, putting his hand through his hair and snagging on a tangle before pulling it out, breaking a few strands off on his fingers as he went. He had some time to waste, and poking around was the only thing to do in Babylon for years.
All aboard the Love Train. Choo Choo, honeybears. I am Ininiwiyaw Rocopurr:Get in my bed, you perfect human being.
Yesterday's just a memory

Soviet Haaregrad wrote:Some people's opinions are based on rational observations, others base theirs on imaginative thinking. The reality-based community ought not to waste it's time refuting delusions.

Also, Bonobos
Formerly Brandenburg-Altmark Me.

Rupudska
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Sep 16, 2010
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Rupudska » Wed Jun 20, 2012 5:52 pm

It was already after noon, Liesel thought. She drove her car through the deserted streets of Babylon. She had managed to find a way to keep her car running, using an octane-rich cocktail of vegetable oils. However, even she didn't know how much longer she'd be able to use the oils. Soon, she'd likely have to switch to a different oil entirely, perhaps kerosene. Yes, she thought. Kerosene would be useful next. It's a common oil now, and still fairly cheap. She looked at the map again, looking for the church name from her dream last night. After a mile or so of driving, she finally found it, with a small crowd nearby. She pulled up to the church and rolled down the window, not daring to leave it in case someone tried to steal it. God, she was thirsty. And she really needed to use the bathroom.
The Holy Roman Empire of Karlsland (MT/FanT & FT/FanT)
THE Strike Witches NationState | Retired King of P2TM
Best thread ever.
MT Factbook/FT Factbook|Embassy|Q&A
On Karlsland Witch Doctrine:
Hladgos wrote:Scantly clad women, more like tanks
seem to be blowing up everyones banks
with airstrikes from girls with wings to their knees
which show a bit more than just their panties

Questers wrote:
Rupudska wrote:So do you fight with AK-47s or something even more primitive? Since I doubt any economy could reasonably sustain itself that way.
Presumably they use advanced technology like STRIKE WITCHES

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:02 pm

As Isaac strolled into town(The walk from the hills could be a bitch sometimes) he spotted a bunch of people, standing front of the church. Despite the world being the hellhole it was, and most people not having any qualms about killing another, Isaac still liked people.

"Hello!"

He jogged the rest of the way, smiling at all those who had gathered.

"Did you all have the dream too? Neat huh. I am Isaac. You like apples?"

He swung the sack on his back to the front, showing it to be packed full of apples.

"I grew them near my house. Anyone want some? I don't mind sharing."
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant
Edward Richtofen wrote:Ameri's so tough that he criticized an Insane Asylum and was promptly let out

Fire the Ameri.

Onocarcass wrote:Trying to change Ameri, is like trying to drag a 2 ton block of lead with your d**k.

Immoren wrote:When Ameri says something is shit it's good and when Ameri says some thing is good it's great. *nods*

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:15 pm

Roberta had noticed that after he arrived at the church, many more people had began to arrive as well, one of them in a car, a rare sight in these troubled times. Most of them were quiet and reserved, much to his liking at the moment as he was confused over what had brought people here this day. One of them, offering up apples was one of the first to speak. He simply shook his head when he heard the man's offer to share, but he was caught up on his mention of a dream. Seemed kind of stupid to assume that's why everyone now congregated outside a church, but he did remember a dream one could call rather unique, though he only remembered snippets.

Her he began tossing a large knife he'd taken from a man back when he traveled with his group of bandits back and forth in his hands as he thought. His distant and cold appearance as he did so could dasily have one identify him as one who has seen many hardships or as a man that has before found it simply necessary to kill for survival.
Last edited by Lancearc on Wed Jun 20, 2012 6:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.
If you ever need advice on writing, help creating an RP of your own, or just generally need any kind of help, feel free to TG! I've been around the block in my old age.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Thu Jun 21, 2012 3:45 pm

The elderly woman looked about, a glint in her eyes. She counted the number of those who had assembled and whispered, “Too few, too few.” She licked her chapped lips and stared at Roberta in a way that could practically pierce the man’s soul. As she did so, every single wrong that Roberta had done to someone flashed in front of his eyes like a film strips on fast forward. She held the gaze for a full second before breaking off to look at Isaac. She smiled in a grandmotherly manner and said, “I have not had an apple since… well, that isn’t important, but I would like one very much, young man. There haven’t been fruit trees in a very long time where I come from.” She adjusted her spectacles and slowly stretched her knobbly hand out in front of her, palm facing upward. As she did so, she added to her earlier statement, “You say you’ve had a dream? Interesting things, dreams are.”
Last edited by Astrolinium on Thu Jun 21, 2012 5:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:02 pm

At the sight of the doings of some bandiy--no, he soon realized it was in fact him, he stumbled backwards, nearly bumping into the car that the other lady sat parked in. He saw his very first crime in this new world, he saw the girl wh couldn't have been olde than five crying over the corpse of her father. Ineeded that water though... he thought to himself, before all his other crimes flashed in front of him. He panted slightly and leaned backwards against the woman's car before regaining his composure and wiping a cold sweat that had broken out on his palms onto his jeans as he stepped away from the car and back to his previous spot.. What the hell was that... he thought.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Thu Jun 21, 2012 4:11 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
The elderly woman looked about, a glint in her eyes. She counted the number of those who had assembled and whispered, “Too few, too few.” She licked her chapped lips and stared at Roberta in a way that could practically pierce the man’s soul. As she did so, every single wrong that Roberta had done to someone flashed in front of his eyes like a film strips on fast forward. She held the gaze for a full second before breaking off to look at Isaac. She smiled in a grandmotherly manner and said, “I have not had an apple since… well, that isn’t important, but I would like one very much, young man. There haven’t been fruit trees in a very long time where I come from.” She adjusted her spectacles and slowly stretched her knobbly hand out in front of her, palm facing upward. As she did so, she added to her earlier statement, “You say you’ve had a dream? Interesting things, dreams are.”

He handed her an apple from his sack, and took a seat on the ground.

"Yeah. They are interesting. The other night, I dreamed I was a robot. And the night before that, I dreamed I was smart. But the one last night told me to come here. And here I am. What about you old lady? Did your dream tell you to come here too?"
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Fri Jun 22, 2012 2:33 pm

Boleslaus got to the church and saw a bunch of people. Some he recognized; others looked very much out of place. First and foremost among the latter was a very old-looking lady. Something about her made him very ill-at-ease - it wasn't that he found her creepy, but that she just emitted an odd aura, an air of mystery. He sat down under a tree and began carefully observing the crowd, trying to get an idea as to why all of them were there.

Slakonian
Senator

Founded: Nov 22, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Slakonian » Fri Jun 22, 2012 3:56 pm

Nick was watching endessly the same dream over and over again last night, he waked up. This wasn't a regular dream but certianly a vision, the vision showed constatly the Church of Babylon..."yes the Church" he thought.

Nick wasn't a native in Baylon but he stayed for long enough time to know what's the word around these lands, Nick was actually from Greece but left that violent past behind him, he came to Babylon thanks to a vision that showed him the town and someone always said Babylon, Go to Babylon because that's your destination, and so he did came to Babylon just two years ago.
When he came to the city, he got to a house first, knocked the door and none opened him but he heard someone fall from the stairs, he didn't realized that the door could open and he stormed in the house and he saw an oldman laying down, he asked him what happened and he said,I am diying child, not too worry, I don't fear death...at least no more in these troubling days, I am diying of some sickness which can't be cured anymore because no doctors out there anymore. What I want from you is to bury me at my family graveyard which you will see on the backside of the house near the trees next to my wife and several of my children.he said and started to have a cough and then Nick spoke,What about the rest of your family, it can't be no one alive aren't they?,ick said but wanted to do more questions because he was full with them but the old man spoke again,My child, I have many more outthere...13 kids and many more grandchildren I assure you back to West Coast but they are far away and those who were in Babylon or neaby are long gone either left or dead. My son Alfred died from a bandit raid many nights ago, his children are thankfully elsewhere but he was sad because of his wife death, I am sure up there in Heaven they will meet once again at eternal happines and health...and so do I. Nikolae Giannopoule, I know all of your story, God whispered it to me, I have left all of my possesions in Babylon's vault just a week ago so no problem's can occur, just pray & help the others but when the time is right, you will know...now I will leave for heaven.And so the old man died in his arms, Nick cried and didn't stop.The same day he buried him and made his funeral and took a property where none existent in his hands.

Nick go out on the barn, he fed the chicken with some corn that he grew from his greenhouse and gave it to his chicken. He mostly traded the eggs for other supplies, mostly food for animals because he had some in his barn. Afte finished all the work in his home he took his horse called Zayda which means in Arabic Lucky, he learned that from a Syrian horse-master who was his friend back in the good old days. Nick also took his shotgun because he always had a feeling that something bad will happen but that was just a felling and probably wouldn't matter. Everyone knew & didn't knew Nick at the same time in town because it will be the last person someone talk about and he kept a very low profile but that happened because the only reason he got into town was for trade or pray to the Church and always...alone. Back in Greece the occasional stuborn belief of the lower class and the clergy was that all the protestant like Churches all blasphemus or something but Nick didn't care about, he always kept in mind that all people belive to the same God but each of us worship him with many different ways. Nick arrived to the Church finally but he saw that none bothered or probably as he thought may saw him.
Call me Slak!
Greek Army Reservist NCO
Our great anthem
Turmenista wrote:>USA/Obama drops bombs in Syria for over a year, nobody bats an eye or says a word.
>Russia/Putin drops bombs in Syria for a day and-
WE INTERRUPT THIS SHITPOST TO INFORM YOU THAT VLADIMIR PUTIN AND RUSSIA ARE TRYING TO TAKE OVER THE WORLD!!!
Glasgia wrote:
Kratu wrote:America will embargo Italian goods. :p

No pizza for you then!

Lord Tothe wrote:
The Emerald Dragon wrote:The 9,910th Monkey died of viagra overdose

Monkey #9909 was on the other end of the viagra overdose problem

Ende
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ende » Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:00 pm

Floyd jolted awake in shock.

"I need to go to the church." he muttered to himself. The dream had told him to. And the dream...it was incredible. Truly amazing. Divine light had flooded the vision, and an ageless, eternal voice had rumbled through the vision. Something beyond the ages-beyond time itself. There was no way to describe it.

And it had told him to go to the church. He groaned, rubbed his eyes, stretched a bit, and wearily stood up from the raggedy bed, which creaked under his weight. Walking over to the cabinet, he pulled on a flannel shirt and some patched jeans, and then headed outside. The weather was chilly, despite being mid-June, and a gust of wind blasted him in the face. Just another sign that the world was turning into hell. Chilly in June. And the stars. They were going out.

But the dream had given him some hope. It was strange, really. He had regarded his existence as futile ever since...six years back. When things started to collapse. But in the dream, he sensed...something worthwhile. A shred of hope. And perhaps, if he went to the church...there would be something there. "Of course," he thought, "I could just be going mad." He shook himself from the thought. There were enough problems outside his head. He wouldn't give the ones inside a voice.

As the rays of sun slowly crawled over the horizon, lighting up the area, Floyd pulled on some boots, and headed out to the garage. With a loud squeaking sound, the door opened to reveal a worn, tarnished bicycle. Cars hadn't run in years. The only way of transportation was either walking, or using a bicycle. He mounted himself on the bike, and started along the broken path, heading towards the town. The farm was a few miles away from the town, and frankly, he didn't visit the town very often.

Every year, he loaded his harvest of wheat, which grew smaller and smaller each year, as well as a few other items, such as vegetables and some fuel to the town storehouse. That was one of the few occasions he went into town. Mainly, he lived a somewhat hermetic life, away from people, and away from most human company. He preferred it that way. But...now, he was visiting the town. For virtually no reason at all. Except the small sliver of hope. He felt slightly delusional, but...going to town couldn't hurt. He might as well.

The broken road that lead to the town hadn't been repaired in years. It was a small, gravel path that was mostly torn up and worn away, but still faintly there. The bike bumped along the path, slowly and roughly, jolting Floyd up and down. Scowling, he pedaled faster, sending the wheels spinning. And then, there was a rough "snap", and the front wheel of the bike fell off, hitting a large rock in the way. The impact flung Floyd off the bicycle, sending him sprawling to the ground.
Last edited by Ende on Fri Jun 22, 2012 10:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Lost heros
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 19, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Lost heros » Mon Jun 25, 2012 1:19 pm

Amanda shuddered. She thought about her dreams. Dreams actually would be a poor description of what her subconscious had at night. Some would call them nightmares, but for her that word didn't fit. A nightmare was a terrible thing that your subconscious made, but when you woke up you knew it can't be true. What she had was different. Her nightmares were a combination of her memories and the possible future. She saw her torture she endured at her great uncle's place, then she saw her runaway and start a new life in Babylon. It didn't stop there though. Sometimes she would be destroyed with the end of the world, and other times her great uncle would come back and torture her some more. These would happen every night, and she knew there was nothing she could do about it.

"I haven't had a dream in a long time," Amanda said, "The last happy dream I had was before my mom died. I remember it fully, hoping that I can have that kind of dream again."
She remembered to the previous night. It hadn't started as it normally did with a gunshot and the dead body of her mother. It started with someone talking.

Amanda started wondering if there was a connection between the person talking in her dream, and the mystical old lady in front of her.
"Are you the person that talked to me last night? What do you mean nothing is permanent?"
She asked her questions with sorrow, and anticipated the answer. She wasn't 100% sure of a god, but if these people had the same person come to them in their dreams then she would reconsider.
Last edited by Lost Heros on Sun Mar 6, 2016 12:00, edited 173 times in total.

You can send me a TG. I won't mind.

"The first man to compare the cheeks of a young woman to a rose was obviously a poet; the first to repeat it was possibly an idiot." - Salvador Dali

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:15 pm

"Happy dreams? God knows I've not had one of those in a long time. You're lucky, I can't even remember the last time I had a dream that wasn't a nightmare, either imaginary or...You know. Some of the stuff I had to do to survive." Roberta spoke up, not looking at or speaking to anyone in particular, but picking up on what the other woman said. The image of the little girl returned to his thoughts, but he quickly fought that image away to the back of his mind. "And maybe that's why I'm here, maybe God, or something, drew me here to think about my past and inwardly fess up to...things." he said, though he felt as if he was going insane. He'd never believed in a God, and here he was saying such things like he'd been called to this little town and church by the man upstairs.
Last edited by Lancearc on Mon Jun 25, 2012 2:18 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:40 pm

Isaac listened to Roberta and Amanda, while absentmindedly munching on an apple.

"Maybe both of you just need a hug. When one of the kids I look after had a nightmare, they always asked me for a hug, and it seemed to do the trick. Though they are just kids...the offer still stands though."
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Mon Jun 25, 2012 4:50 pm

Roberta looked up from his knife which he'd still been fiddling with, towards the man who was offering apples earlier. "If anyone tries to hug me over a bad dream I might plant this in their throat. Depending on the situation" he said bluntly, nodding as the man finished with 'though they were just kids'. He gazed down at the name engraved on the knife, 'Andy', which he'd replaced with his own after etching out the other. He'd taken it from a rather well-armed group that he and his small band had caught travelling around the road they camped off of, and had decided to attack and see what they could find.

Nationstatelandsville
Khan of Spam

Founded: Apr 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nationstatelandsville » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:29 pm

Numinous dreams fell through the mind one Joshua Gold, shifting and twisting under the weight of logic, threatening to crush them but never quite doing so. This message troubled him, to say the least. He had been a staunch atheist, anti-theist even, for most of his life (calling Oprah Winfrey "a fucking idiot" on air for using the phrase "thank God"), and, before that, a toddler. No religious experience had shaken him, no miracle fooled him, no prayer phased him. But this... this had. And it was a mere vision (for Joshua rarely slept, leading to prominent purple bags sagging from under his eyes), at that, one that could easily be induced by drugs or alcohol.

Except he was completely sober, that much he knew. The withdrawal was painful enough to make that obvious. Alcohol was a very difficult thing to find in a place like Babylon, where no grape vines would ever grow, or at least not in prominence and certainly not cheap, as were the more exotic substances which Josh had once enjoyed abusing. Granted, there was an abundance of tobacco, but Josh had never much liked smoking. He had contracted bronchitis quite a few times in his childhood, so he knew the damaging effects of a simple cough. It left a bad taste in his mouth, smoking, both literally and metaphorically.

He should have moved to a place with a vineyard or something, if only he could. Unfortunately, he had had little money and not nearly enough gas to carry him to South America as he would have liked (though he had hoarded the stuff after the economic collapse, for his car and not at all to huff it, nope) when he left New York, and Jane, his agent (or at least she had been when there was such a thing as a publishing company), had been returning home to Babylon anyways. She dragged him with her, optimistic Jane. She was a kindly old woman who Josh had never much appreciated, but he had been remotely fond of her. She always said that things would be better soon, and that leaving Josh in New York City, with the riots and the special kind of heavy drug use that seems attached to the early fervor of anarchy, would ruin him for when the world got back in track. She wanted him to be "a proper author and gentleman", prepared for when the industry was functioning once more. Punching Jay Leno in front of a live audience (amongst other things) had caused quite a few publishers to hesitate when it came to his works.

But Jane was dead now, a certain mix of old age, lung cancer, and the horrid realization that no, things wouldn't get better. Another reason not to smoke.

Despite all this, despite the very foundation of Joshua's identity, he couldn't fight the compulsion to go to the church. If anything, he may as well dispel his worries.

"Motherfucker, how did I ever come to this shithole?" he grumbled as he roused himself from his bed, running his hands through his slicked back brown hair. He looked over to the window of the house he was squatting in, for there was no point in going to a hotel (if there even were any), taking in his appearance. He had wavy hair puffed up to give himself some volume, blue eyes that never seemed quite there, and a considerable amount of scruff. He was short, pale, and was missing a few teeth here and there. Leno fought back.

He was dressed in white- and dark blue-striped pajamas, shirt and pants, with red velvet slippers. He saw no real point in changing, he really didn't need protection from the elements at this time and place, but he did so anyways, if only for the sake of habit. Habit was all that one could have in this world anymore, if that. He left his house in simple flip-flops, black gym shorts, and a white t-shirt. Well, he was only going to church. Why dress up?

Josh made his way up to the church, eying the gathered crowd suspiciously. He had learned not to trust big crowds, especially after you just took a verbal piss on Oprah, and he saw no difference between this crowd and any other. Except Twilight fans. They were worse.

"Move!" he demanded, shoving his way through the crowd, and finding an elderly woman blocking his way.

"Out of the way, you senile Betty White bitch," he spat, pushing her out of his path and practically kicking the doors to the church open.
"Then I was fertilized and grew wise;
From a word to a word I was led to a word,
From a work to a work I was led to a work."
- Odin, Hávamál 138-141, the Poetic Edda, as translated by Dan McCoy.

I enjoy meta-humor and self-deprecation. Annoying, right?

Goodbye.

Astrolinium
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Astrolinium » Mon Jun 25, 2012 6:50 pm

The old lady smiled and said, “I am afraid that when I was told to come here I was awake.” She bit firmly into the apple with surprisingly white teeth. Some of its juices dribbled down her chin as she chewed slowly, ensuring that when she swallowed it would be in small pieces that weren’t as hard on her aging digestive system. She smiled. She had almost forgotten what apples tasted like. She swallowed and looked at Amanda, saying, “I was not the one who told you to come here. I was merely sent by that one to meet you.” She took another bite from the apple as Roberta, Amanda, and Isaac talked a bit more. Seeing Joshua approach, a smiled cracked across her ancient face until she was brutally pushed aside, falling down on her rear. From one her age, one might have expected a busted hip. What one would not expect would be for her to bounce right back up, suddenly a terrifying sight. Her skin became leather, her eyes were reptile. Alien screams of righteous rage issued from her throat. An awful, wonderful, divine light shone like a glowing beacon. She grabbed Josh from behind, put him over her knee, and smacked him. Suddenly, there was a rumble of thunder, and she regained her composure, transforming back into that kindly old lady. She cleared her throat and adjusted her spectacles. Josh lay face first on the asphalt in front of her, no serious damage done.

“Well then, well then, well then,” she articulated, flustered. “You see what happens when don’t all just get along like perfectly nice people, well then, yes. Why don’t we all just sit down and have some apples, well then, why don’t we, yes? Doesn’t that sound perfectly nice?” Looking around, wild-eyed, she shrilly snapped, “I SAID SIT DOWN, CHILDREN!” She herself remained standing, fixing her bun. which had gotten a bit messed up by her little episode. “Now, why don’t we have a special sharing time and tell everybody our very special names, don’t you think that would be nice? Why don’t we start with you, nice young man with the apples. You seem so very nice.”
The Sublime Island Kingdom of Astrolinium
Ilia Franchisco Attore, King Attorio Maldive III
North Carolina | NSIndex Page | Embassies
Pop: 3,082 | Tech: MT | DEFCON: 5-4-3-2-1
SEE YOU SPACE COWBOY...
About Me: Ravenclaw, Gay, Cis Male, 5’4”.
"Don't you forget about me."

Ex-Delegate of Ankh Mauta | NSG Sodomy Club
Minor Acolyte of the Vast Jewlluminati Conspiracy™

Lancearc
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Lancearc » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:10 pm

Roberta had burst into laughter when the old lady had managed to hop back to her feet and exact a swift revenge on the guy that had knocked her over--who reminded him of some of the worse bandits than himself that he had met-- But was quickly interrupted by the woman's outburst. Immediately he sat, resisting the almost natural instinct he wanted to use to bury the knife in this unnatural demon--or angel woman, or whatever she was. He found it somewhat amusing that after that outburst she now spoke to them like a kindergarten class.

Milks Empire
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Milks Empire » Mon Jun 25, 2012 7:31 pm

Boleslaus watched the spectacle between the elderly lady and who he assumed was a drunkard with eyes wider than the Pacific. The change in her demeanor coupled with the changes in her physical form terrified him, and he almost wet his pants (though you'd never get him to admit it). When she settled back down and began speaking like a Kindergarten teacher, well, that just confused him even more. Her icebreakers hadn't yet reached him, so he sat and waited patiently while the guy with the apples spoke per her request.

Ende
Negotiator

Founded: Jan 23, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ende » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:14 pm

Floyd cursed violently as he rubbed his knee. The bike had broken. Rust and old age had taken it's toll on the bike, and upon hitting the rock, the front wheel had snapped off. He had been hurled off the bike into the gravel, and scraped his knee badly. Pulling up his pant leg to the knee, he saw small rivulets of blood trickling from the injury. He scowled. Hopefully, it wouldn't get infected. Brushing himself off, he stood, and started walking the long path to town. The journey was long, boring, and strenous. Floyd wasn't as young as he used to be, and the bike was his usual transit to town, and not to mention that the road to Babylon was overgrown, cracked, and falling apart.

A few hours later, after a long and fairly uneventful hike, he arrived at the edge of the town. The worn buildings of Babylon greeted him, and he walked through town, heading towards the church. There were plenty of people in Babylon, doing their daily business. Several looked at him strangely, as he was rarely seen around town. He walked through the town streets quickly. Broken cars sat on the side of the road, sad reminders of how times had been. Few people had cars. The gas companies had fallen apart once everything else had, and few people were able to use cars.

After a few minutes, he came to the church. Several people were in a circle, around an old woman. Ah. The dream had told him to come here, and he probably wasn't the only one. There was a man lying on the ground, and the old woman was smirking at him. He wasn't sure what was going on, but he knew he should probably join the circle. Hesitantly, he approached the circle, and pushed through a man holding apples and a random woman to get to the front of the group. He deeply inhaled, and then spoke.

"Hello. Am I interrupting something here? I'm sorry. I appear to be rather late to whatever's going on here, and I'm sure I'm supposed to be here. My bike broke on the way here. Did y'all have the dream telling you to come here?"

Ameriganastan
Khan of Spam

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Ameriganastan » Mon Jun 25, 2012 8:22 pm

Astrolinium wrote:
The old lady smiled and said, “I am afraid that when I was told to come here I was awake.” She bit firmly into the apple with surprisingly white teeth. Some of its juices dribbled down her chin as she chewed slowly, ensuring that when she swallowed it would be in small pieces that weren’t as hard on her aging digestive system. She smiled. She had almost forgotten what apples tasted like. She swallowed and looked at Amanda, saying, “I was not the one who told you to come here. I was merely sent by that one to meet you.” She took another bite from the apple as Roberta, Amanda, and Isaac talked a bit more. Seeing Joshua approach, a smiled cracked across her ancient face until she was brutally pushed aside, falling down on her rear. From one her age, one might have expected a busted hip. What one would not expect would be for her to bounce right back up, suddenly a terrifying sight. Her skin became leather, her eyes were reptile. Alien screams of righteous rage issued from her throat. An awful, wonderful, divine light shone like a glowing beacon. She grabbed Josh from behind, put him over her knee, and smacked him. Suddenly, there was a rumble of thunder, and she regained her composure, transforming back into that kindly old lady. She cleared her throat and adjusted her spectacles. Josh lay face first on the asphalt in front of her, no serious damage done.

“Well then, well then, well then,” she articulated, flustered. “You see what happens when don’t all just get along like perfectly nice people, well then, yes. Why don’t we all just sit down and have some apples, well then, why don’t we, yes? Doesn’t that sound perfectly nice?” Looking around, wild-eyed, she shrilly snapped, “I SAID SIT DOWN, CHILDREN!” She herself remained standing, fixing her bun. which had gotten a bit messed up by her little episode. “Now, why don’t we have a special sharing time and tell everybody our very special names, don’t you think that would be nice? Why don’t we start with you, nice young man with the apples. You seem so very nice.”

Isaac just sat there for a few moments. He was a little confused about what the hell he'd just seen. He finally snapped to attention, when he realized people were starting to stare impatiently.

"Oh...um...my name is Isaac Wells. Some people call me Big Isaac. The kids at home call me Papa Isaac. And some people call me "The retarded guy with the hat". But I do not like it when people call me that. It is mean. I do not like mean people."
The Incompetent Critic
DENVER BRONCOS fan
Force of nature.
The Ameri Train.
The Ameri song
Tsundere Ameri.
HulkAmeri
Ameri goes to court.
Universal Constant

Fire the Ameri.

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse