NATION

PASSWORD

[NSG Senate] Lobby-ing a Scimitar

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Belmaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Belmaria » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:18 pm

The Sarian wrote:
Belmaria wrote:I have a profession, and don't have the devotion to online games that you do, apparently.

Where do you get all that time to write your lists from?

I haven't maintained a list actively since the last time I was personally active. I had plans to create an opposition research project this time around, but haven't found the time yet.
-3.5 Economically, -6.2 Socially

Click to Learn Why Trump is a Fascist

Proud Member of the Progressive Movement

MERIZoC
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Dec 05, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby MERIZoC » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:25 pm

Belmaria wrote:
The Sarian wrote:Where do you get all that time to write your lists from?

I haven't maintained a list actively since the last time I was personally active. I had plans to create an opposition research project this time around, but haven't found the time yet.

But you still have eyes everywhere, yes?

Belmaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Belmaria » Mon Jul 25, 2016 1:26 pm

Merizoc wrote:
Belmaria wrote:I haven't maintained a list actively since the last time I was personally active. I had plans to create an opposition research project this time around, but haven't found the time yet.

But you still have eyes everywhere, yes?

At the moment, no. I'm not working on any NSGS intel projects at the moment.

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Founded: May 04, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Tue Jul 26, 2016 4:16 pm

I'm thinking of adding a more 'mathematical' model for employment, instead of just guessing. In abstract, there is a 'capital stock', which naturally depreciates. The capital stock can be expanded through investment, public capital spending, or the capital account (FDI and the money businesses get from trade). This isn't my opinion (the bit on the capital account I'm admittedly not 100% sure about), it's how capital is typically modeled. The idea is that employment is linked with the capital stock, so more machinery needs more workers, but that, with greater output (GDP), the capital stock per worker becomes greater. Since output per worker as a function of capital per worker resembles a y = sqrt(x) function, I believe this means that the capital per worker as a function of output per worker is a y = x2 function. Basically, a 1% growth in GDP per capita means you need 1.1% more capital to hire an additional worker. I'm thinking of keeping this domain at 0<x<2, 0 and 2 inclusive, so as to limit this model between 0% and 200% of $2,400, the starting GDP per capita.

So, basically, what I'm asking you is what you think the starting unemployment figure should be. 10%? 20%? 30%? 50%?
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

Maklohi Vai
Minister

Founded: Jan 07, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Maklohi Vai » Tue Jul 26, 2016 10:07 pm

Arkolon wrote:I'm thinking of adding a more 'mathematical' model for employment, instead of just guessing. In abstract, there is a 'capital stock', which naturally depreciates. The capital stock can be expanded through investment, public capital spending, or the capital account (FDI and the money businesses get from trade). This isn't my opinion (the bit on the capital account I'm admittedly not 100% sure about), it's how capital is typically modeled. The idea is that employment is linked with the capital stock, so more machinery needs more workers, but that, with greater output (GDP), the capital stock per worker becomes greater. Since output per worker as a function of capital per worker resembles a y = sqrt(x) function, I believe this means that the capital per worker as a function of output per worker is a y = x2 function. Basically, a 1% growth in GDP per capita means you need 1.1% more capital to hire an additional worker. I'm thinking of keeping this domain at 0<x<2, 0 and 2 inclusive, so as to limit this model between 0% and 200% of $2,400, the starting GDP per capita.

So, basically, what I'm asking you is what you think the starting unemployment figure should be. 10%? 20%? 30%? 50%?

Somewhere in the teens sounds about right, maybe like 17 or 18? If it's easier to work with a round number, 20.
"For the glory of our people, we govern our nation freely. For the glory of Polynesia, we help and strengthen our friends. For the glory of the earth, we do not destroy what it has bestowed upon us."
Demonym: Vaian
-Kamanakai Oa'a Pani, first president of Maklohi Vai
-6.13/-8.51 - as of 7/18
Hosted: MVBT 1; WBC 27; Friendly Cups 7, 9; (co-) NSCAA 5
Former President, WBC; WBC Councillor
Senator Giandomenico Abruzzi, Workers Party of Galatea
Administrator
Former:
Head Administrator
Beto Goncalves, Chair, CTA
Abraham Kamassi, Chair, Labour Party of Elizia
President of Calaverde Eduardo Bustamante; Leader, LDP
President of Baltonia Dovydas Kanarigis; Leader, LDP
President of Aurentina Wulukuno Porunalakai; Leader, Progress Coa.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:24 pm

Recipient
Lt. Gen Adin Thems DSC
Representative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations for Elizia

STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL

THE CABINET OF ELIZIA

Dear General,

The Home Office of the Elizian Federation, pursuant to its responsibilities for internal security and the maintenance of peace, requests that personnel of the peacekeeping detachment be dispatched to the Parliament of Elizia to remove the Honourable Mr. Alan Chan from the premises in accordance to lawful orders.

Sincerely,

John Chiu
Home Secretary
______Kevin Katdare
______President of Elizia
Last edited by Ainin on Tue Jul 26, 2016 11:24 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

United Nations for Elizia
Civilian

Founded: Jul 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby United Nations for Elizia » Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:15 am

*admins run this account to RP as the UN force in Elizia - MV posting*

Recipients
The Rt. Hon. Kevin Katdare, President of Elizia
The Hon. John Chiu, Home Secretary

STRICTLY CONFIDENTIAL

UNITED NATIONS MISSION IN ELIZIA

Dear Sirs,

The United Nations Mission in Elizia, understanding the nature of the situation and similarly believing in the maintenance of peace, will honor the request made by the President and Home Secretary. Personnel of the peacekeeping detachment will be dispatched to the Parliament of Elizia to remove the Honourable Mr. Alan Chan from the premises.

Sincerely,

Lt. Gen Adin Thems DSC
Representative of the Secretary-General of the United Nations for Elizia

Home Secretary
______
Last edited by United Nations for Elizia on Wed Jul 27, 2016 1:16 am, edited 1 time in total.
Run by the NSG Senate Administrators. Please direct questions to Maklohi Vai, Zurkerx, Arkolon, or Merizoc.

Britanno 3
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Britanno 3 » Wed Jul 27, 2016 4:34 am

Kwl
NSGS: Senator Helen Blackley (Independent)
Pro: UK Labour Party, US Democrats, Hillary Clinton, Clement Atlee, Social Democracy, Internationalism, European Union
Anti: UK Conservative Party, US Republicans, Jeremy Corbyn, Donald Trump, Margaret Thatcher, Nationalism

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:00 am

Goddamnit Britanno, what happened this time?
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Nariterrr
Minister

Founded: Jan 27, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Nariterrr » Wed Jul 27, 2016 6:48 am

Opinions on this bill before I submit it to the Coffee Shop?

An Act to Prohibit and Deter Corruption
| Author: The Hon. Ahmed Corbor (SLP) |
| Sponsors:
An act to prohibit curroption and to find ways to combat corruption.

Chapter I - Defining Corruption

1. Corruption shall be the act whereby a member of an office of public trust dishonestly or fraudulently conducts himself or herself in office or;
    2. mismanages monies and profits granted to his office in the way of bribery or;
    3. violates the integrity of his or her office or;
    4. encourages the act of corruption and is complacent or complicit in doing it.
    5. If a person has committed at least one of the following acts, s/he shall be guilty of corruption.

Chapter II - Defining Aspects of Corruption.

§1 - Bribery

1. Bribery shall be the act of giving out an illegal bribe.
    2. Bribery shall be defined as illegally gifting monetary units or gifts to a person in order to sway their opinion, or violating laws on donating monetary units or gifts to a politician.
    3. If a person gifts an illegal bribe, s/he shall be guilty of bribery.
    4. If a person receives an illegal bribe, s/he shall be guilty of bribery.
    5. Bribery shall be considered a form of corruption of a government offical, all persons complicient in bribery shall also be complicient in curroption.

§2 - Embezzlement, Theft and Fraud

1. Embezzlement and theft shall involve a person(s) with access to funds or assets illegally taking control of them.
    2. Fraud shall involve using deception to convince the owner of funds or assets to give them up to an unauthorized party.
    3. Such acts shall be considered corruption of a government official where applicable.

§3 - Extortion and blackmail

1. Extortion and blackmail shall involve the use of threats to advance personal interests. Such matters can be the threat of violence or false imprisonment as well as exposure of an individual's secrets or prior crimes.
    2.This includes such behavior as an influential person threatening to go to the media if they do not receive speedy medical treatment (at the expense of other patients) or;
    3. threatening a public official with exposure of their secrets if they do not vote in a particular manner, or demanding money in exchange for continued secrecy.
    4. If done to a government official or done by a government official, extortion and blackmail shall be considered corruption.

§4 - Abuse of discretion

1. Abuse of discretion refers to the misuse of one's powers and decision-making facilities, or;
    2. a judge improperly dismissing a criminal case or;
    3. customs official using their discretion to allow a banned substance through a port or facility.
    3. threatening a public official with exposure of their secrets if they do not vote in a particular manner, or demanding money in exchange for continued secrecy.
    4. Abuse of discretion shall be considered corruption.

§5 - Favoritism, nepotism and clientelism

1. Favouritism, nepotism, and clientelism shall involve the favouring of someone related to a perpetrator of corruption, such as a friend, family member or member of an association or;
    2. hiring or promoting a family member or staff member to a role they are not qualified for, who belongs to the same political party as the official, regardless of merit.
    4. Favoritism, nepotism, and clientelism shall be considered acts of corruption.

Chapter III - Penalties

1. The penalty for grand corruption, whereby it is exposed that a persons corruption caused serious harm to society, government or otherwise, shall be at least twenty years imprisonment to life imprisonment and a fine of no less than three-hundred thousand dollars, as well as a permanent seizure of all corrupted assets and a loss of public trust.
    2. the penalty of general corruption, whereby a person is exposed to have committed more than one type of corruption or has repeatedly been corrupted with gross or malicious intent, shall be at least ten years imprisonment to thirty years imprisonment, a fine of no less than two-hundred thousand dollars, and a permanent seizure of all corrupted assets and a loss of public trust.
    3. Corruption by bribery, whereby a briber attempts to or succeeds in bribing a government official or if a government official accepts said bribe, shall be punished by no less than five years imprisonment and no more than twenty, a fine of no less than one-hundred thousand dollars, a loss of public confidence and a permanent seizure of all corrupted assets as well as a loss of public trust.
    4. General bribery, whereby a person commits bribery to a non-government official, shall be punished by at least two years and at the most ten years imprisonment, a fine of no less than ten-thousand dollars, and a seizure of all bribed assets and a loss of public confidence.
    5. Corruption by embezzlement, theft, and fraud, whereby a person attempts to commit embezzlement, theft, and fraud to a government official shall be punished by no less than five years and no more than twenty years imprisonment, a fine of no less than twenty thousand dollars, a seizure of all corrupted assets and a loss of public confidence.
    6. Corruption by extortion and blackmail, whereby a person attempts to extort or blackmail a government official, shall be punished by at least five years and no more than twenty years imprisonment, a fine of twenty thousand dollars, a seizure of all corrupted assets and a loss of public confidence.
    7. Corruption by abuse of discretion shall be punished by at least two years and no more than ten years imprisonment, a fine of no less than ten-thousand dollars and a loss of public confidence.
    8. Corruption by favoritism, nepotism, and clientelism shall be punished by a fine of no more than five thousand dollars and a loss of public confidence.
    9. Corruption abroad is liable for prosecution in Elizia, seizure of said assets will be requested.

Chapter IV - Detering Curroption

§1 - The Elizian Anti-Corruption Agency

1. The Elizian Anti-Corruption Agency shall be responsible for monitoring and deterring corruption.
    2. The Elizian Anti-Corruption Agency shall monitor public spending, spending by government official, shall monitor donations and gifts, and conduct reports.
    3. The Elizian Anti-Corruption Agencies operating board shall be made up of a board of five members, each member shall be directly chosen by the government after the resignation, removal or death of another. Members of the board shall have a high moral and legal standing, and must remain uninfluenced by politics.
    4. The Elizian Anti-Corruption Agency shall, upon complaint, investigate government officials and those suspected of being complicit in corruption, it's meetings shall be purely confidential until a report is drafted and sent to prosecutors.
    5. The Elizian Anti-Corruption Agency shall have the right to subpoena any person to testify before the board, and if the board finds that there is evidence for criminal prosecution, the board will notify prosecutors for further questionings.
    6. Repeated failure to use the Donations and Spending Log or gross misconduct of it by government officials shall constitute a felony punishable by at least two years imprisonment and a fine of no less than twenty thousand dollars. Such investigations into the validity of Donations and Spendings Logs shall be done by the Elizian Anti-Corruption Agency.

§2 - Spending and Donations Log

1. Upon receiving a donation for any reason, a government official shall record that donation into his or her Spendings and Donations Log.
    2. All monetary or gift giving transactions shall done by a government official or on his her behalf shall be recorded in his or her Spendings and Donations Log.
    3. All government transactions, or transactions taken on the government's behalf, with the exception of those classified by law or order, shall be recorded in the Government Spending Log.
    4. All orders or writs shall be written in the appropriate Spending (and Donations) Log.
    5. The Spending Log of any government agency shall be available to the people and must be released on request. Personal Spending and Donation Logs of government officals shall be privy to only the Elizian Anti-Corruption Agency, who can release the log at their discretion.

§3 - Campaign Donations

1. Campaign donations by private persons to Senators that do not exceed five thousand dollars shall be considered legal, or a gift not exceeding five thousand dollars. Donations can only be done once.
    2. Campaign donations by groups or private interests to Senators that do not exceed twenty thousand dollars shall be considered legal, or a gift not exceeding twenty thousand dollars. Donations can only be done once.
    3. Any campaign donations exceeding the legal limit shall be deemed illegal and punished as bribery. It shall be the duty of the Elizian Anti-Corruption Agency to investigate them.
    4. Campaign donations shall be logged in the Spending and Donations Log of said Senator.
    5. Campaigns for offices of Senators shall be publically funded, however, donations can be made to help with campaigning. Campaign contributions must be specifically used for campaigns and only campaigns, failure to comply constitutes theft of public and private assets.

§4 - Donations to Government Officials outside of elections

1. Donations to government officials outside of elections shall be legal if and only if such donations does not sway the vote of a government official, such donations cannot exceed more than five thousand.
    2. Lobbying a government official during a vote shall be strictly illegal and shall be considered bribery.
    4. Asking or receiving donations within the Parliament building shall be strictly illegal and shall be considered bribery.
    5. Asking or receiving donations to be elevated to a ministerial office shall be strictly illegal and shall be considered general corruption.
    6. Asking or receiving donations from foreign powers or officers shall be strictly illegal and punished as general corruption.

§5 - Corruption Deterance System

1. A Corruption Deterrence System shall be set up to monitor the transactions of a government official.
    2. If a government official is found to have deposited a large sum of money quickly, acts untransparently, or is in any other way acting ambiguously, the Corruption Deterance System shall notify the Board of the Elizian Anti-Corruption Board, who will investigate.
Honestly who knows what about anything anymore.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Thu Jul 28, 2016 9:49 am

Britanno 3 wrote:Kwl

You need to change your flag :P

Glasgia wrote:Ah right, will skim through those then. Just trying to get a grasp of what we're basing off.

So do you >.>
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Britanno 3
Lobbyist

Ex-Nation

Postby Britanno 3 » Thu Jul 28, 2016 10:21 am

Costa Fierro wrote:Goddamnit Britanno, what happened this time?

I said someone was a "@#$%&!".

Ainin wrote:You need to change your flag :P

I feel like the low-quality graphics are eating away at you :p
NSGS: Senator Helen Blackley (Independent)
Pro: UK Labour Party, US Democrats, Hillary Clinton, Clement Atlee, Social Democracy, Internationalism, European Union
Anti: UK Conservative Party, US Republicans, Jeremy Corbyn, Donald Trump, Margaret Thatcher, Nationalism

Coconut Isle
Attaché

Founded: Jun 15, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Coconut Isle » Fri Jul 29, 2016 8:53 am

Arkolon wrote:I'm thinking of adding a more 'mathematical' model for employment, instead of just guessing. In abstract, there is a 'capital stock', which naturally depreciates. The capital stock can be expanded through investment, public capital spending, or the capital account (FDI and the money businesses get from trade). This isn't my opinion (the bit on the capital account I'm admittedly not 100% sure about), it's how capital is typically modeled. The idea is that employment is linked with the capital stock, so more machinery needs more workers, but that, with greater output (GDP), the capital stock per worker becomes greater. Since output per worker as a function of capital per worker resembles a y = sqrt(x) function, I believe this means that the capital per worker as a function of output per worker is a y = x2 function. Basically, a 1% growth in GDP per capita means you need 1.1% more capital to hire an additional worker. I'm thinking of keeping this domain at 0<x<2, 0 and 2 inclusive, so as to limit this model between 0% and 200% of $2,400, the starting GDP per capita.

Nice

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Fri Jul 29, 2016 9:22 am

And what do you guys think the population aged 15-64, or alternatively how big the employable population, is?
"Revisionism is nothing else than a theoretic generalisation made from the angle of the isolated capitalist. Where does this viewpoint belong theoretically if not in vulgar bourgeois economics?"
Rosa Luxemburg

The Sarian
Ambassador

Founded: Jun 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sarian » Sat Jul 30, 2016 1:56 am

Well I'm going away for two weeks - try not to blow anything up.

Also, as I posted in the Chamber, Ainin is my proxy vote.
THE SARI UNION · DE BONDSAARI

Domestic Newswire · Saari CricDatabase

South Bourbonstan
Secretary

Founded: Sep 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby South Bourbonstan » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:11 am

Just wondering, I've signed up, does that mean I can take part in the senate?
RED
AMBER
BLACK SPECIAL
BLACK
[WHITE]

TG me for a chat, It won't hurt.

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:12 am

South Bourbonstan wrote:Just wondering, I've signed up, does that mean I can take part in the senate?

Yep, straight away!
Rosa Luxemburg

South Bourbonstan
Secretary

Founded: Sep 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby South Bourbonstan » Sat Jul 30, 2016 11:42 am

Arkolon wrote:
South Bourbonstan wrote:Just wondering, I've signed up, does that mean I can take part in the senate?

Yep, straight away!

Yay!
RED
AMBER
BLACK SPECIAL
BLACK
[WHITE]

TG me for a chat, It won't hurt.

Collatis
Minister

Founded: Aug 10, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Collatis » Sun Jul 31, 2016 10:58 am

Malgrave wrote:so has anyone created a version of the Iron Gave yet? I think my senator needs a drink or two.

The White Lotus

Social Democrat | Humanist | Progressive | Internationalist | New Dealer

PRO: social democracy, internationalism, progressivism, democracy,
republicanism, human rights, democratic socialism, Keynesianism,
EU, NATO, two-state solution, Democratic Party, Bernie Sanders
CON: conservatism, authoritarianism, totalitarianism, neoliberalism,
death penalty, Marxism-Leninism, laissez faire, reaction, fascism,
antisemitism, isolationism, Republican Party, Donald Trump

Brandenbourg-Anhalt
Envoy

Founded: Jul 14, 2015
Democratic Socialists

Postby Brandenbourg-Anhalt » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:21 am

Tag
It is the weak who are cruel. Gentleness can only be expected from the strong. - Leo Roskin

Behind the invisible hand of the market hides the iron fist of the state. - Don't Know Who :p

Then it's a lie. Everything Fox News says is a lie.
Even true things once said on Fox News become lies.
(Family Guy: Excellence in Broadcasting)

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:24 pm

Is foreign direct investment a net increase in capital or does it just represent the changing nature of the ownership of the capital stock?
Rosa Luxemburg

Belmaria
Chargé d'Affaires

Ex-Nation

Postby Belmaria » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:38 pm

Arkolon wrote:Is foreign direct investment a net increase in capital or does it just represent the changing nature of the ownership of the capital stock?

I would consider it a net increase, as they are spending money within the national economy, and thus planting some capital of their own within the nation.

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Mon Aug 01, 2016 3:52 pm

Belmaria wrote:
Arkolon wrote:Is foreign direct investment a net increase in capital or does it just represent the changing nature of the ownership of the capital stock?

I would consider it a net increase, as they are spending money within the national economy, and thus planting some capital of their own within the nation.

I'd have thought that, but consider that the capital account (by definition the reverse of the current account aka trade balance) being positive represents a shrinking economy importing more than it exports, and the wikipedia page does define the capital account as equal to the Change in Foreign Ownership of Domestic Assets minus the Change in Domestic Ownership of Foreign Assets. So exporting more than you're importing represents more domestic claims on foreign assets and the inverse means foreigners are acquiring claims on domestic assets. I can't see this meaning more net investment, which is reinforced by page from the World Bank which asserts that statement.
Rosa Luxemburg

Arkolon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Arkolon » Mon Aug 01, 2016 4:45 pm

So basically I'll just informally call it FDI but I think it makes more sense to formally call it the NY in CA = (X-M) + NY, that is net income from abroad.
Rosa Luxemburg

Kamchastkia
Senator

Founded: Jan 16, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Kamchastkia » Mon Aug 01, 2016 5:10 pm

Arkolon wrote:So basically I'll just informally call it FDI but I think it makes more sense to formally call it the NY in CA = (X-M) + NY, that is net income from abroad.

/care. Thats too nerdy.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives