NATION

PASSWORD

NSG Senate Chamber [NSG Senate]

A resting-place for threads that might have otherwise been lost.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:40 am

The Treorai wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:Second.

Wait no! Not the Miniluv! No! NO! NOOOOOooooooo!

Hello, unperson. Are you feeling doubleplusgood?
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Fulflood
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fulflood » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:41 am

I go under the name Vyvland now (IIWiki page). This account is used for the odd foray into the Senate or NSG.
Straight male British apatheist pacifist environmentalist social liberal

Admin, New Democrat member for Lüborg (504) and ambassador to the Red-Greens in the Aurentine Senate. Minister of Business Safety of Aurentina. Apparently that deserves a ministry, but I'm not complaining. I'm probably none of these things anymore. | The Aurentine Phrasebook, my magnum opus.

Yanalia
Ambassador

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Yanalia » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:42 am

Geilinor wrote:
Great Nepal wrote:I request we fire Krenim weapon on senator Yanalia.

I suggest that we fire an ignore cannon on Senators Yanalia and Great Nepal.

Seconded, if you're talking about that series of jokes.
Economic Left/Right: -9.12
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -7.33

Free South Califas wrote:Dammit Byzantium, stop spraying your ignorance on everyone.

Ainin
Postmaster-General

Founded: Mar 05, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Ainin » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:42 am

Fulflood wrote:
Welsh Cowboy wrote:I move to omnibus the Corps Creation Charter and the Military Discipline and Structure Act.

Second.

Third.
Republic of Nakong | 內江共和國 | IIwiki · Map · Kylaris
"And when the last law was down, and the Devil turned round on you — where would you hide, Roper, the laws all being flat?"

Geilinor
Post Czar

Founded: Feb 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:42 am

Ainin wrote:
Fulflood wrote:Second.

Third.

Fourth.
Member of the Free Democratic Party. Not left. Not right. Forward.
Economic Left/Right: -1.13
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -2.41

Yanalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yanalia » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:43 am

Geilinor wrote:
Ainin wrote:Third.

Fourth.

Fifth.

Free South Califas wrote:Dammit Byzantium, stop spraying your ignorance on everyone.

Great Nepal
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jan 11, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Great Nepal » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:43 am

Yanalia wrote:
Geilinor wrote:Fourth.

Fifth.

Sixth + admin approval.
Last edited by Great Nepal on Sun Nov 29, 1995 7:02 am, edited 1 time in total.

Britanno
Minister

Founded: Apr 05, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Britanno » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:44 am

Last edited by Britanno on Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:03 pm, edited 2 times in total.
NSGS Liberal Democrats - The Centrist Alternative
British, male, heterosexual, aged 26, liberal conservative, unitarian universalist
Pro: marriage equality, polygamy, abortion up to viability, UK Lib Dems, US Democrats
Anti: discrimination, euroscepticism, UKIP, immigrant bashing, UK Labour, US Republicans
British Home Counties wrote:
Alyakia wrote:our nations greatest achievement is slowly but surely being destroyed
America is doing fine atm

The Treorai
Senator

Founded: Jul 15, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Treorai » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:45 am

Ainin wrote:
The Treorai wrote:Wait no! Not the Miniluv! No! NO! NOOOOOooooooo!

Hello, unperson. Are you feeling doubleplusgood?

Very much comerade! In fact, did you know that Newspeak will eventually eliminate all thoughtcrime? It is a very exciting development! Just recently, we have added at least 200 new words to the newspeak dictionary, and have begun working on the final stages of phasing out basic English all together!
GOD-KING OF ABRASIVENESS

Dumb Ideologies wrote:It's a situation intrinsic to the committed ideologue. Whenever one makes a counter-argument the goalposts seem not only to move in two dimensions but also float several hundred thousand miles above the pitch whilst wearing cast-iron earplugs.

Rainbows and Rivers wrote:Dictators blaming America for all their problems? That's new.

Caninope wrote:If I think in my mind that the book sitting in front of me is Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows when it is in fact Robert's Rules of Order Newly Revised, 11th Edition, then it doesn't make me any more objectively correct.

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:46 am

Ainin wrote:URL for the Executive Council Act?

Sorry I missed this. Glad you found it tho.

Chetssaland wrote:
Free South Califas wrote:Yeah, you know how you avoid finding out whether anyone has been traumatized and abused?

Don't make or tolerate rape jokes! I guarantee it's the best way to get that job done.

Dark humor is a thing. I don't think it should be repressed either.
I have never advocated the repression of rape-joke websites, of which this is not one.

In fact, you would be surprised the kind of websites I visit. Healing for me has involved some very dark humor. I'm actually an extreme Internet free speech advocate. If you happen to see the Internet Freedom Act you'll notice that my sponsorship is missing because the current language doesn't restrain the government enough or protect free speech or association well enough. I want really dark humor, among many other things, to have a place on the Internet.

Just don't come to my party thread and harass me for having PTSD. That's a rather different story and breaks a number of key parts of the agreement we all make to be here. To tell you the truth, though, I'm also perplexed that the focus has been on Nihl. I just thought I had to live with the flagrant violations.
Last edited by Free South Califas on Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:47 am, edited 1 time in total.
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:50 am

Free South Califas wrote:

Chetssaland wrote:
I have never advocated the repression of rape-joke websites, of which this is not one.

In fact, you would be surprised the kind of websites I visit. Healing for me has involved some very dark humor. I'm actually an extreme Internet free speech advocate. If you happen to see the Internet Freedom Act you'll notice that my sponsorship is missing because the current language doesn't restrain the government enough or protect free speech or association well enough. I want really dark humor, among many other things, to have a place on the Internet.

OOC: This is the Internet, so the only reason we should be suppressing something is if it violates site rules or if it isn't appropriate for the RP. In this case, I'm not sure. Politicians flame and slander the other side all the time, so this is relatively minor in comparison.

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:51 am

The Treorai wrote:
Ainin wrote:Hello, unperson. Are you feeling doubleplusgood?

Very much comerade! In fact, did you know that Newspeak will eventually eliminate all thoughtcrime? It is a very exciting development! Just recently, we have added at least 200 new words to the newspeak dictionary, and have begun working on the final stages of phasing out basic English all together!

Did you know that by 2050, even the proles will speak Newspeak? And did you know, that in Newspeak's final eventual stage, there will simply not be any space for thoughtcrime because there will not be enough words to suitably formulate thoughtcrime? Truly doubleplusgood!
Kosovo is Morrowind. N'wah.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist
(and i blatantly stole this from Old Tyrannia)

Chetssaland
Senator

Founded: May 15, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Chetssaland » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:54 am

Free South Califas wrote:

Chetssaland wrote:

Just don't come to my party thread and harass me for having PTSD. That's a rather different story and breaks a number of key parts of the agreement we all make to be here. To tell you the truth, though, I'm also perplexed that the focus has been on Nihl. I just thought I had to live with the flagrant violations.

I'm not defending that. But you implied that a joke was told without intending to offend you, after which you made your situation known. I'm defending the first joke, whatever it may have been, that was not intended to offend you.

Really, I'm making a defense of everything that offends people. Without intent, I don't understand how anything is offensive. But again^6, this doesn't belong here, especially because I'm not even defending anything specific anymore. I'm just talking about society as a whole now.

Rumostan
Ambassador

Founded: May 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Rumostan » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:55 am

-deleated-
Last edited by Rumostan on Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:01 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Senator Alex Johnson- Senator for The National Liberal Party and Senator for the constituency of Lüten (96)
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -1.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.26
Why don't you take a look at the nations fact book (still being completed) to get a taste of what it is like in the Sultanate?
I am a non practising Sunni Muslim
Lelouch is amazing and should be a god
I am a Conservative (UK)

Resora
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Resora » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:58 am

I move to add this to the queue (again).
Voting Reform Act

Urgency: Very High
Author: Resora (C)
Sponsors: Free South Califas (C). Jozef van Oostvoorne (C), Malgrave (USLP), Welsh Cowboy (I), Oneracon (RG), Geilinor (LD), Osea 767 (C), CTALNH (USLP), Eliasonia (NIFP)

Description:

Recognizing the fact that abuse of certain legislative procedures has become a problem in the Senate;

Dismayed by the fact that a small minority of senators can hold the entire Senate hostage by indefinitely prolonging voting windows;

Concerned over the high potential for voter fraud made possible by "proxy" voting;

The author and sponsors of this bill move that the following be passed into law.

(a): Proxy votes are hereby declared invalid. A senator's vote can only be cast by the senator in question.

(b): Motions for the extension of voting windows are only valid if the vote has failed to meet a quorum of 25% of standing Senators by the end of the original voting window, as determined by the most recent Senate census.

(c): Any extension allowed under section (b) of this law may not exceed twenty-four (24) hours in excess of the original voting window, and no more than one extension is allowed per bill.

(d): Any motion to extend the voting window for an active bill allowed under section (b) of this law requires the support of no less than fifteen (15) senators.
The history of progress is written in the blood of men and women who have dared to espouse an unpopular cause.

Member of the Free Communists (District 108)
Left/Right: -10.00
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.45
Alternate Test
Political Views

Arglorand
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 08, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Arglorand » Mon Jun 24, 2013 11:59 am

Resora wrote:I move to add this to the queue (again).
Voting Reform Act

Sponsors: Free South Califas (C). Jozef van Oostvoorne (C), Malgrave (USLP), Welsh Cowboy (I), Oneracon (RG), Geilinor (LD), Osea 767 (C), CTALNH (USLP), Eliasonia (NIFP)

Description:

Recognizing the fact that abuse of certain legislative procedures has become a problem in the Senate;

Dismayed by the fact that a small minority of senators can hold the entire Senate hostage by indefinitely prolonging voting windows;

Concerned over the high potential for voter fraud made possible by "proxy" voting;

The author and sponsors of this bill move that the following be passed into law.

(a): Proxy votes are hereby declared invalid. A senator's vote can only be cast by the senator in question.

(b): Motions for the extension of voting windows are only valid if the vote has failed to meet a quorum of 25% of standing Senators by the end of the original voting window, as determined by the most recent Senate census.

(c): Any extension allowed under section (b) of this law may not exceed twenty-four (24) hours in excess of the original voting window, and no more than one extension is allowed per bill.

(d): Any motion to extend the voting window for an active bill allowed under section (b) of this law requires the support of no less than fifteen (15) senators.

Seconded.
Kosovo is Morrowind. N'wah.
Impeach Dagoth Ur, legalise Daedra worship, the Empire is theft. Nerevarine 3E 427.

Pros: Dunmeri independence, abolition of the Empire, the Daedra, Morag Tong, House Redoran, Ashlander interests, abolitionism, Dissident Priests, canonisation of St. Jiub the Cliff Racer Slayer.
Cons: Imperials, the Empire, the False Tribunal, Dagoth Ur, House Hlaalu, Imperials, the Eight Divines, "Talos", "Nords", Imperial unionism, Imperials.

I am a: Social Democrat | Bright green | Republican | Intersectional feminist | Civic nationalist | Multiculturalist
(and i blatantly stole this from Old Tyrannia)

Fulflood
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Fulflood » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:00 pm

Arglorand wrote:

Seconded.

Third.
I go under the name Vyvland now (IIWiki page). This account is used for the odd foray into the Senate or NSG.

Admin, New Democrat member for Lüborg (504) and ambassador to the Red-Greens in the Aurentine Senate. Minister of Business Safety of Aurentina. Apparently that deserves a ministry, but I'm not complaining. I'm probably none of these things anymore. | The Aurentine Phrasebook, my magnum opus.

Geilinor
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Geilinor » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:00 pm

Voting Reform Act

Description:

I have a question about "Motions for the extension of voting windows are only valid if the vote has failed to meet a quorum of 25% of standing Senators by the end of the original voting window, as determined by the most recent Senate census". Less than half of registered senators are regularly active, so it would be extremely hard to extend voting time.

Fulflood
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Fulflood » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:01 pm

Geilinor wrote:

I have a question about "Motions for the extension of voting windows are only valid if the vote has failed to meet a quorum of 25% of standing Senators by the end of the original voting window, as determined by the most recent Senate census". Less than half of registered senators are regularly active, so it would be extremely hard to extend voting time.

Good point.

Yanalia
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Yanalia » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:01 pm

Geilinor wrote:

Yes. That is the point. The vote should only be extended if for some reason lots of Senators did not have the ability to vote.

Central Africa
Bureaucrat

Founded: Apr 01, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Central Africa » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:01 pm

Arglorand wrote:

Fourthed.
I am a ☭Revolutionary Socialist★
Graph Left (-8.12)|Libertarian (-5.38)
Alignment: Neutral Good
MAP | Why I'm a Socialist|

Rumostan
Ambassador

Founded: May 11, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Rumostan » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:02 pm

Voting Reform Act

Description:

I support this bill.
Senator Alex Johnson- Senator for The National Liberal Party and Senator for the constituency of Lüten (96)
My political compass:
Economic Left/Right: -1.38
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: 4.26
Why don't you take a look at the nations fact book (still being completed) to get a taste of what it is like in the Sultanate?
I am a non practising Sunni Muslim
Lelouch is amazing and should be a god
I am a Conservative (UK)

Resora
Diplomat

Founded: Nov 05, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Resora » Mon Jun 24, 2013 12:03 pm

Geilinor wrote:

Correct. Under this law, extensions would only be feasibly possible if for some odd reason turnout is abnormally low. No extensions on bills that already have decent turnout.
The history of progress is written in the blood of men and women who have dared to espouse an unpopular cause.

Member of the Free Communists (District 108)
Left/Right: -10.00
Libertarian/Authoritarian: -9.45
Alternate Test
Political Views

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Archives