NATION

PASSWORD

London's Burning (1970s British Civil War RP) OOC

For all of your non-NationStates related roleplaying needs!
Machiavellionia
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 30, 2011
Ex-Nation

London's Burning (1970s British Civil War RP) OOC

Postby Machiavellionia » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:54 pm

The year is 1975, and the city in question is London. It is the middle of Labour PM Harold Wilson's beleaguered term in office, and things seem only to get worse. Far-right groups have been increasing belligerent, and are at boiling point. The catalyst comes on the 7th September, when unknown forces blow up St Paul's Cathedral, killing many. The many far-right groups are quick to blame Islamic extremists. When Wilson fails to crack down on the growing immigrant population, the right snaps. The various groups of fascists and neo-Nazis organise themselves into St George's Army, and being a bloody and violent civil war. Gangs of 'Bulldogs' take to the street, harassing all whom they judge to be 'Non-English'.

The government responds in force, calling the Army into London, where the fighting is centralised. A citizens' 'Emergency Defence Militia' springs up. Various independent groups take it upon themselves to defend democracy.

And this is where you come in. Pick a side, fascism versus democracy, and pick your faction in that side. Britain rests in your balance.

Apps and faction details will follow. For now, if you are interested, please state so below. More details will follow, so please, have patience.
Call me Mach. It's what I imagine friends would do.
London's Burning: 1970s London set RP about a fascist led civil war in the UK. Choose your side, fight for your vision of Britain.
Machiavellionia wrote:Interesting fact: Britain has only ever had two communist MPs (as in, members of the Communist party, rather than just, say, Labour members with communist tendencies) and they were both thrown out of Parliament in around 1962. For fighting. With each other.

That's right. I sigged myself. Cus I'm 'ardcore.
Economic Left/Right: -0.86
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -4.94

Machiavellionia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Machiavellionia » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:55 pm

There are two and main sides, and one half side. The two main sides are split into factions which are largely independent of one another, but work towards a common goal

Side 1: Pro-Democracy
Factions
Government Forces: These are the soldiers, police, SWAT teams, MI5 and riot response units pulled into London to serve the Government and protect democracy. Membership is fairly self explanatory, as is leadership; the branches have their heads, but are ultimately directed by the government.
Emergency Defence Militia: A loosely government approved people's militia. They are ordinary Britons who feel it is their duty to oppose, militarily if needs be, the danger that threatens their nation. A broad cross section of society, they have been given rough military training and have adequate weaponry. Led by a small council, presided over by their 'General-at-Arms' Joseph Field
Independents: Ordinary, non-affiliated men and women who simply fight for the Britain they know and love. No training, really, apart from any received in previous careers. Could be a member of a small anti-fascist gang or a war veteran with his shotgun still hung up in the living room.

Side 2: Pro-Fascism
Factions
St George's Army: A formal coalition of all the leading fascist and neo-Nazi organisations, like the National Front and the 'New Blackshirts', who consider themselves to be heirs to Oswald Mosely. Given strict, regimental training and uniforms. St George's Army is run like a normal army, with ranks and regiments. Led by someone calling themselves 'Churchill'. Any PCs can specify their rank in the SGA, but please bear in mind that if it is too high, then you may be asked to change it.
Bulldogs: 'Yobs and Hooligans'; various gangs, predominantly youths. Not structured or organised like the SGA, and not really even one organisation; rather, 'Bulldogs' is an umbrella term for all the far-right street gangs, who don't necessarily work together.
Independents: Individuals frustrated by the government and angry at the perceived state of Britain. Again, could be any non-affiliated individual.

The other side is that of the 'Survivors'; ordinary people who haven't taken a side, and are just attempting to get through the carnage unscathed and relatively unaffected. No factions.
Last edited by Machiavellionia on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:58 pm, edited 3 times in total.
London's Burning: 1970s London set RP about a fascist led civil war in the UK. Choose your side, fight for your vision of Britain.
Machiavellionia wrote:Interesting fact: Britain has only ever had two communist MPs (as in, members of the Communist party, rather than just, say, Labour members with communist tendencies) and they were both thrown out of Parliament in around 1962. For fighting. With each other.

Machiavellionia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Machiavellionia » Mon Jun 04, 2012 12:55 pm

Application

Nation Name:
PC Name:
Side:
Faction (see above, please elaborate if independent for either main side):
Profession:
Brief Biography:
Any notable possessions:
Last edited by Machiavellionia on Mon Jun 04, 2012 1:59 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Machiavellionia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Machiavellionia » Mon Jun 04, 2012 2:00 pm

Okay, everything is now set for any players to join. If you have any questions, queries or ideas, then please don't hesitate to provide them.

Since I'm generous, people can post up to two apps if they so wish. I will post my two shortly, and will also take loose control of any major NPCs.

Machiavellionia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Machiavellionia » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:06 am

Okay, in a (probably futile) attempt to get this thoroughly stubborn ball rolling, I'll post the apps for my main two characters.

Nation Name: Machiavellionia
PC Name: Peter (Pete) Burke
Side: Pro-Government
Faction: Government forces
Appearance: Fairly nondescript to look at; average height, average build, brown hair, brown eyes. Not ugly, but not handsome. No real distinguishing features. Wears a wool overcoat and a suit.
Profession: MI5 agent.
Brief Biography: Peter had a normal upbringing in suburbia, before surprising everyone by going to Cambridge University to read History. On graduation, he was approached by an organisation offering 'a new experience' to serve Queen and Country. He turned up to the interview, and shortly afterwards had been accepted by MI5. He has been a solid, reliable agent, if not the most dynamic, and now acts as the go-between for the government and the EDM.
Any notable possessions: Several handguns and knives, and a radio communicator.

Nation Name: Machiavellionia
PC Name: Johnny Ruskin
Side: Pro-Fascism
Faction: Bulldogs
Appearance: Shorter than average, shaven head, earring, English Flag tattooed on chest. A few broken teeth, but relatively handsome despite this. Wears whatever he can find.
Profession: Unemployed
Brief Biography: Growing up in the rough end of London, Johnny's gang was more of a family to him than his family was. A veritable 'skinhead', he is quick to blame the immigrant population for anything, including his unemployment and relative poverty. Having been kicked out by his family, Jonny now squats in an abandoned warehouse with the gang which he now leads. When the violence kicked off, his gang were quick to declare themselves as Bulldogs, and are often found on the streets.
Any notable possessions: A large and ugly flick knife.

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:17 am

Just to let you know, I've been interested in this thread since I found it from your sig in another thread yesterday, and I haven't had the time and energy simultaneously to submit an app yet. May happen tomorrow when I get back from the clinic...
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Machiavellionia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Machiavellionia » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:24 am

Free South Califas wrote:Just to let you know, I've been interested in this thread since I found it from your sig in another thread yesterday, and I haven't had the time and energy simultaneously to submit an app yet. May happen tomorrow when I get back from the clinic...

Okay, cheers

Soviet Ruk-Tsan
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 02, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Soviet Ruk-Tsan » Tue Jun 05, 2012 2:33 am

Very interested. Will put an app up later.
Founder of The Union of Red Nations

Soviet Ruk-Tsan, bringing peace to the world through senseless violence.

Wolfmanne
Senator

Founded: Mar 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Wolfmanne » Tue Jun 05, 2012 5:23 am

Interested as well. I'll probably put an app up.
Cicero thinks I'm Rome's Helen of Troy and Octavian thinks he'll get his money, the stupid fools.

Machiavellionia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Machiavellionia » Tue Jun 05, 2012 9:32 am

What I'm going to do, if we get enough people to make this worthwhile, is dedicate the first few posts of the IC to scene and tone setting, so stuff that happens before St Paul's is blown up and the Civil War breaks out. This'll give people an opportunity to mingle or at least introduce their character before the action starts, then I'll fast forward a couple of weeks and the real RP will begin.

Or, do people want to begin with the Civil War having already started?

Licentiapacisterra
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 17, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Licentiapacisterra » Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:56 am

Nation Name: Licentiapacisterra (Call me Licen)
PC Name: Luke Thompson
Side: Pro-democracy
Faction (see above, please elaborate if independent for either main side): Government Forces
Appearance: 6ft tall, muscular, surf-style blonde hair, 5 o'clock shadow, scar on the left side of his jaw, wears a polo shirt and jeans unless on a mission
Profession: Spy
Brief Biography: Luke was born in the Orkney Islands, and grew up as a proud Brit. When he left St Andrews' University with a degree in military history, he was recruited to MI5, and accepted immediately. He has been out of action since he took a knife to the face in a bar fight with right-wing extremists, leaving a scar. He loves outdoor pursuits, and can often be found running, climbing or canoeing at his house in the north of Scotland.
Any notable possessions: Luke constantly carries a backpack, containing a Browning pistol, a Swiss army knife, a rope, dried food, a week's worth of water, and a hipflask filled with whisky.
Last edited by Licentiapacisterra on Tue Jun 05, 2012 11:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
This nation has now been reformed as the Licentian Isles. Please direct anything intended for me to that nation.

Machiavellionia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Machiavellionia » Tue Jun 05, 2012 12:01 pm

Licentiapacisterra wrote:Nation Name: Licentiapacisterra (Call me Licen)
PC Name: Luke Thompson
Side: Pro-democracy
Faction (see above, please elaborate if independent for either main side): Government Forces
Appearance: 6ft tall, muscular, surf-style blonde hair, 5 o'clock shadow, scar on the left side of his jaw, wears a polo shirt and jeans unless on a mission
Profession: Spy
Brief Biography: Luke was born in the Orkney Islands, and grew up as a proud Brit. When he left St Andrews' University with a degree in military history, he was recruited to MI5, and accepted immediately. He has been out of action since he took a knife to the face in a bar fight with right-wing extremists, leaving a scar. He loves outdoor pursuits, and can often be found running, climbing or canoeing at his house in the north of Scotland.
Any notable possessions: Luke constantly carries a backpack, containing a Browning pistol, a Swiss army knife, a rope, dried food, a week's worth of water, and a hipflask filled with whisky.

Accepted! Glad to have a definite 'yes' other than myself

Licentiapacisterra
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Licentiapacisterra » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:21 am

Bump
This nation has now been reformed as the Licentian Isles. Please direct anything intended for me to that nation.

Machiavellionia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Machiavellionia » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:31 am

I got excited when I saw there was a new post; thought someone else may actually have been interested.
Sigh.

Free South Califas
Senator

Founded: May 22, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Free South Califas » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:39 am

My next few weeks are very uncertain, I'm still deciding whether I can commit to an RP in addition to the world cup, and this equation is different for me than others because perspective-taking is really challenging for an autistic person and as much as I like the idea of it, the thought of actually doing it kinda stresses me out when I start filling out an app.
FSC Government
Senate: Saul Califas; First Deputy Leader of the Opposition
Senior Whip, Communist Party (Meiderup)

WA: Califan WA Detachment (CWAD).
Justice
On Autism/"R-word"
(Lir. apologized, so ignore that part.)
Anarchy Works/Open Borders
Flag
I'm autistic and (proud, but) thus not a "social detective", so be warned: I might misread or accidentally offend you.
'Obvious' implications, tones, cues etc. may also be missed.
SELF MANAGEMENT ✯ DIRECT ACTION ✯ WORKER SOLIDARITY
Libertarian Communist

COMINTERN/Stonewall/TRC

Licentiapacisterra
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Licentiapacisterra » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:41 am

Machiavellionia wrote:I got excited when I saw there was a new post; thought someone else may actually have been interested.
Sigh.

Sorry about that. Just trying to get it back on the front page.

Machiavellionia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Machiavellionia » Wed Jun 06, 2012 8:55 am

Licentiapacisterra wrote:
Machiavellionia wrote:I got excited when I saw there was a new post; thought someone else may actually have been interested.
Sigh.

Don't worry I didn't mean it as a jibe at you, not by any means. It was helpful.
I just felt bitterly disappointed when I found out it wasn't anyone new

Licentiapacisterra
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Licentiapacisterra » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:02 am

Machiavellionia wrote:

Don't worry I didn't mean it as a jibe at you, not by any means. It was helpful.

I know. I just think this is a really good idea, and I don't wanna see it die.

Machiavellionia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Machiavellionia » Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:14 am

Machiavellionia wrote:

I know. I just think this is a really good idea, and I don't wanna see it die.

Thanks. It's an idea I've been toying with for a while, as British extremism has always fascinated me, but I only recently had the idea of turning it into an RP. Hopefully others will feel the same way (HINT HINT)

Outlying States
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 07, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Outlying States » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:01 am

Nation Name: Outlying States
PC Name: Walter Devon
Faction (see above, please elaborate if independent for either main side): Pro-Fascist Independent
Appearance: A man of average height and slightly overweight, there is little remarkable about Walter Devon's looks other than his demeanor. A rigid man, he commands an aura of authority about him.
Profession: Owner of Newham Amalgamated Steel
Brief Biography: A self made man of industry, Devon spent his teenage years growing up in the poorer area of London, working in factories from a young age. He was a bright child, and over the years he gained the business sense to rise through the ranks of the company he worked for. In his 30s he purchased a manufacturing plant that was going out of business and in a few years had turned his company Newham Amalgamated Steel into a highly profitable endeavor. Politically he finds himself aligned with the right and would like to see the power that Britain could be under a fascist command economy (run by people like himself, of course)
Any notable possessions: Factory in Newham, London, and a number of shipping trucks.

Machiavellionia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Machiavellionia » Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:41 am

Outlying States wrote:Nation Name: Outlying States
PC Name: Walter Devon
Faction (see above, please elaborate if independent for either main side): Pro-Fascist Independent
Appearance: A man of average height and slightly overweight, there is little remarkable about Walter Devon's looks other than his demeanor. A rigid man, he commands an aura of authority about him.
Profession: Owner of Newham Amalgamated Steel
Brief Biography: A self made man of industry, Devon spent his teenage years growing up in the poorer area of London, working in factories from a young age. He was a bright child, and over the years he gained the business sense to rise through the ranks of the company he worked for. In his 30s he purchased a manufacturing plant that was going out of business and in a few years had turned his company Newham Amalgamated Steel into a highly profitable endeavor. Politically he finds himself aligned with the right and would like to see the power that Britain could be under a fascist command economy (run by people like himself, of course)
Any notable possessions: Factory in Newham, London, and a number of shipping trucks.

Accepted. Nice to see a pro-fascism person whose priority won't just be 'beat the hippies round the head with a steel bar'. You'll be providing the bar.

Machiavellionia
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Machiavellionia » Thu Jun 07, 2012 10:47 am

Don't generally like being this explicit, but: BUMP.

Jamessonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamessonia » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:09 am

Nation Name: Jamessonia
PC Name: James Bellfond
Side: Pro-Fascist
Faction (see above, please elaborate if independent for either main side): St George's Army
Appearance: 6ft tall, Short dirty blonde hair, brown eyes, thin, long nose, thin face, assorted small scars along his arms, legs and face, also has an earring and several rings with swastikas and Union flags in them.
Profession: Unemployed
Brief Biography: Grew up in the backstreets and alleyways of Brixton, where he witnessed many crimes, and inevitably, arrests. He grow up fearing and hating the police, and got involved with the neo-Nazi crowd. He believes that the only way to create change is to make radical, Fascist changes to government. He joined St Georges Army at the age of 19, and he rose through the ranks rather quickly, now he is known as Lieutenant Bellfond to all of his comrades. He commands a small squad of 5-10 men.
Any notable possessions: He owns several assorted long and short knives, a Beretta 92F handgun, and uses an Armalite assault rifle.
Last edited by Jamessonia on Thu Jun 07, 2012 2:50 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Last edited by Max Stirner on Thu June 26, 1856, edited 48 times in total.
Economic Left/Right: -6.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.31
“We are convinced that liberty without socialism is privilege, injustice; and that socialism without liberty is slavery and brutality.”
- Mikhail Bakunin

"I shall find enough anyhow who unite with me without swearing allegiance to my flag."
- Max Stirner

Rio de Argento
Secretary

Founded: May 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Rio de Argento » Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:10 am

Nation Name: Rio de Argento

PC Name: Inspector Alfred (Fred) Crisp

Side: Pro-Government/Independent.

Faction (see above, please elaborate if independent for either main side): Whilst technically being pro-democracy, since he works for the government, in fact he harbours fascist sympathies. For the moment, he continues doing his job and fighting the neo-nazis, but is liable to flip should a decent offer come up...

Appearance: Short, stocky man, light-brown hair, grey, hooded eyes. Scar on chin from childhood accident. Mustache. Wears a variety of police uniforms, and cheap suits when off duty.

Profession: Police Officer

Brief Biography: Born in 1941 in Rhodesia, his father was a low-level Colonial Administrator. With the end of the war, the family moved back to England, so Fred grew up in a lower-middle class area of outer-London. He attended College, but failed to qualify for University, and so (having inherited an authoritarian streak from his father) decided to persue a career within the police force. His colonial upbringing under the strict discipline of his father, combined with his dismay at the loss of Britain's empire, lent themselves naturally to an outlook of casual racism, combined with a fear/hatred of Communists, Immigrants, and the 'weak' political establishment. He continued to work for the Police for some years, and has risen to the rank of inspector within the uniformed force, failing several times to transfer to the CID. He supports the aims of the fascists, convinced that only a radical movement such as them can restore Britain's greatness. However, his job, as well as his loyalty to the force he serves, has meant that he reluctantly takes part in anti-nazi operations. However, a textbook opportunist, he is simply biding his time before deciding where his true loyalties lie.

Any notable possessions: Police equipment.
Last edited by Rio de Argento on Thu Jun 07, 2012 11:11 am, edited 1 time in total.
Click below for the Party sponsored Information site on the People's Republic of Rio de Argento

To support the Monarchist Resistance to the Communist Regime, TG Rio de Argento.

Jamessonia
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 02, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Jamessonia » Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:02 pm

When will we start this? How many players should we have?
Last edited by Max Stirner on Thu June 26, 1856, edited 48 times in total.
Economic Left/Right: -6.5
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -8.31
“We are convinced that liberty without socialism is privilege, injustice; and that socialism without liberty is slavery and brutality.”
- Mikhail Bakunin

"I shall find enough anyhow who unite with me without swearing allegiance to my flag."
- Max Stirner

Next

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Portal to the Multiverse