NATION

PASSWORD

[PASSED] Repeal "Commend Luna Amore"

A carefully preserved record of the most notable World Assembly debates.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Chester Pearson
Minister

Founded: Aug 02, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:47 pm

You actually submitted this? Are you really that desperate for anther badge Ram?
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
Economic Left/Right: -8.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -3.90
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,
Ambassador, Imperial Minster of Foreign Affairs United Federation of Canada
Premier The North American Union
Secretary-General United Regions Alliance
World Assembly Resolution Author
Recognized as one of the most famous NS's ever

Ramaeus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ramaeus » Thu Nov 13, 2014 9:59 pm

Chester Pearson wrote:-snip-

Yes, I submitted this.

No, I am not desperate for another badge. I do, however, dislike seeing poorly written resolutions stand. A cause I thought you would agree with me on, Chester, but it seems you are incapable of consistency.

And, yet again, you fail at actually "discovering" my motive for writing a proposal. My motive is quite simple: repeal a poorly written resolution. If this passes, and Luna Amore is still interested in a Commendation, I may write it myself.
Last edited by Ramaeus on Thu Nov 13, 2014 10:07 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Just some weeb.

Chester Pearson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Thu Nov 13, 2014 11:51 pm

Ramaeus wrote:

Yes, I submitted this.

No, I am not desperate for another badge. I do, however, dislike seeing poorly written resolutions stand. A cause I thought you would agree with me on, Chester, but it seems you are incapable of consistency.

So Mahaj is a three year old now? I am pretty sure he might take offense to that....
Separatist Peoples wrote:With a lawnchair and a large bag of popcorn in hand, Ambassador SaDiablo walks in and sets himself up comfortably. Out of a dufflebag comes a large foam finger with the name "Chester Pearson" emblazoned on it, as well as a few six-packs.
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,

Ramaeus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramaeus » Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:03 am

Chester Pearson wrote:So Mahaj is a three year old now? I am pretty sure he might take offense to that....

Those are your words, Chester, not mine. I said that I dislike seeing poorly written resolutions and pointed to a post of you saying something to that effect. To be precise:
Chester Pearson wrote:
The Stalker wrote:A bit preemptive don't you think? The natives already wrote one up, yours may be slightly better written, but I think native authorship is more important and looks like it will make Queue.

Plus you've already authored multiple resolutions, why not give the native a chance to become an author too.

Because this one will actually pass, and I would rather not have a repeal that looks like it was written by a three year on the books. If a native wants a co-author tag for this, they can TG me...
Since you seemed to have missed my point: based on your comments in that thread I assumed that you would prefer to have superior, rather than inferior, resolutions passed within the WA, but I see now that I was mistaken.

Nice try, though. ;)
Last edited by Ramaeus on Fri Nov 14, 2014 12:53 am, edited 1 time in total.
Just some weeb.

Solorni
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Fri Nov 14, 2014 3:54 pm

Approved.
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

Ramaeus
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Ramaeus » Fri Nov 14, 2014 8:14 pm

Solorni wrote:Approved.

Thanks.
Just some weeb.

Luna Amore
Issues Editor

Founded: Antiquity
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Luna Amore » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:10 am

Solorni wrote:Was Luna ever a member of the UDL?
Yes, I was a member of the UDL for a relatively short time.

Solorni wrote:If Luna distances him or herself from his or her time in the UDL, then I will not support this effort.
My hypothetical support or lack thereof of the UDL is irrelevant to the repeal at hand.

Sedgistan wrote:For the record, Luna Amore is male.
I really should have considered a more masculine name 11+ years ago...

Ramaeus wrote:If this passes, and Luna Amore is still interested in a Commendation, I may write it myself.

I'll admit I'm not very familiar with the ins and outs of WA/SC proposals, but when someone intends to replace a current proposal, don't they usually write the repeal and the replacement at the same time?

My desire to have a commendation shouldn't matter, right? Either I'm commendable or I ain't.

I'm not sure if it's appropriate for me to comment on the proposal, but the editor in me wants to:

Ramaeus wrote:Recognizing that, while controlling several nations with unique domestic structures is a marginally impressive accomplishment, it is one which is easily accomplished with careful preparation and diligence,
This is a terrible clause to lead with. It says absolutely nothing. You could replace it with most actions, and it'd be equally true:
--Recognizing that, while training a Jack Russel to bark the alphabet is a marginally impressive accomplishment, it is one which is easily accomplished with careful preparation and diligence
--Recognizing that, while sailing across the Atlantic is a marginally impressive accomplishment, it is one which is easily accomplished with careful preparation and diligence
--Recognizing that, while writing a repeal is a marginally impressive accomplishment, it is one which is easily accomplished with careful preparation and diligence
(I kid, I kid :p)

Ramaeus wrote:Asserting that SC#123 contradicts itself by calling the domestic structures Luna Amore established within their puppet nations as “unique”, while also acknowledging that Luna Amore is not the first nation to have accomplished the governmental constructs shown in their puppets H- and On Beyond Zebra,
Solid criticism to an extent. Tommy Bahama achieved that feat first. In fact I congratulated him when he hit 3 100's. My rebuttal to that would be that none of the achievements outlined in the commendation are unique in the long run. At the time of the resolution however, they were.

Ramaeus wrote:Noting that studying population growth is a task easily accomplished by viewing the nation's census records, which diminishes the accomplishment of Luna Amore in this regard,
Like the first clause, this doesn't really say anything. It basically says, 'It's easy to notice a different population pattern when you're looking at populations.'

Ramaeus wrote:Acknowledging that, while Luna Amore's defense of Free Thought is a commendable action, it is the only one present in SC#123 which may be called such,
I actually don't think my defense of Free Thought is terribly commendable and it's probably the weakest part of the resolution.

Ramaeus wrote:Believing that, where SC#123 may detail an impressive accomplishment, it does so in such vague terms that it effectively nullifies the accomplishment in question,
The commendation can be described many ways but vague is not one of them. It spells out each point succinctly and clearly. Luna Amore did X,Y, and Z. Nation A is Foo, Nation B is Fud, and so on.
Last edited by Luna Amore on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:17 am, edited 1 time in total.

Drewlantis
Attaché

Founded: Nov 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

The Process of Bill Writings

Postby Drewlantis » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:02 pm

If I may, the writing of legislation is a rather arduous process. In fact many don't understand the importance of filling gaps left by repealing laws and resolutions. When repealing a law or resolution with the intention of replacing it with improved legislation, there are three ways by which to do so. Otherwise there is little guarantee of its replacement at all!
One, include the rewritten legislation with the process of repeal, essentially adding what will be replacing the existing law within the legislation. The second is to repeal it with the introduction of the rewritten resolution else where within the docket, this is done if the author is afraid of the repeal and the rewritten being defeated, so he/she splits them up in the hopes that one of them is accepted, leading automatically to the discussion of the other. Lastly, third, is usually the most popular and calls for the rewriting of the law with the inclusion of "all legislation not in accordance with this law will be declared null and void" which has the rewriting being voted upon with an automatic repeal of the previous conflicting resolution.
Seeing as how none of these processes have been implemented, and the current resolution stands at odds with even the author in that respect. I would have to vote against until the proper legislation is presented. I will therefore wait until this is rewritten and is approved by the Emperor of my nation.

With Regards,

Fromm Burgenheimer
Chief Foreign Diplomat, Member and Political Columnist to the World Assembly.
Last edited by Drewlantis on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:05 pm, edited 2 times in total.
With Regards,
Fromm Burgenheimer.
Minister of the Department of Diplomacy, Ambassador to the WA, Advisor Second Class to Emperor Imperator Andrew Lake the First.
Personality Type: ENTP, that means watch out ladies and gentlemen, either I'm going to take over the world, or rig a toaster to fly, I don't know yet..
Additional random psychology information: No, I'm not insane, and I have no mental illnesses. I am highly intelligent with some narcissistic tendencies who can be very charming when I want to be, which is sometimes described as psychopathy, but I highly doubt it.. Sometimes.. ;)

Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:15 pm

Ramaeus wrote:

Still, it is a poorly written repeal to a poorly written resolution - two wrongs do not make one right; especially since you have some kind of distaste for poorly written resolutions, I'm not sure why you would have allowed this to happen. :p

(And before you aim on me - I don't give a flying flute and am not overly and overtly pedantic over whether resolutions are poorly written in the first place.)
Last edited by Elke and Elba on Tue Nov 18, 2014 12:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

Berenguela the Great
Civilian

Founded: Nov 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Berenguela the Great » Tue Nov 18, 2014 1:59 pm

Solorni wrote:Yup: http://s4.zetaboards.com/UDL/topic/8778 ... ost8176350

Since Luna was part of an organization that threatened to coup Balder, I think it is safe to say that we would support a repeal of this.

Being so petty is not the way for a proper queen to conduct herself.
Her Royal Highness Berenguela, the first of her name, Empress of Hispania, Queen of Castille, Queen of Léon, Queen of Navarra, Queen of Aragon, Queen of Lithuania, Duchess of Córdoba, Countess of Toledo, and Countess of Tuva.

Pauline Bonaparte
Spokesperson

Founded: Oct 21, 2014
Mother Knows Best State

Postby Pauline Bonaparte » Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:02 pm

Solorni wrote:Yup: http://s4.zetaboards.com/UDL/topic/8778 ... ost8176350

Since Luna was part of an organization that threatened to coup Balder, I think it is safe to say that we would support a repeal of this.

The Right Honorable Madam acts with such pettiness that she shocks even me - and I once sold a principality given to me as a gift so I could spend the money on diamonds and brioche! I am forced to wonder why she bothers reading proposals at all; wouldn't it be easier to look at the subject and vote purely based on that, instead of pretending to care about the issue at hand?

I am against the repeal at hand. The Security Council should not be used to play the same old R/D game all the time, especially since GPers have no problems shoving their noses where they shouldn't be. I find it refreshing that there are commends for good work other than quickly pressing a button every update.
Last edited by Pauline Bonaparte on Tue Nov 18, 2014 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pauline Bonaparte
Senator, Carcassonne
Co-Founder, Taijitu

Aeryis
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 10, 2011
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

But why?

Postby Aeryis » Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:29 pm

This issue essentially states that the person did some commendable things, and then moves to strip their acknowledgement from the person on the basis that "it really wasn't all THAT difficult, really."

Baffling. The same could be said of most award-winners in life, but the difference between "I could have done that" and "I did do that" are vast and compelling.

Further, I see no reason why we should be stripping people of their accolades unless they've done something horrible to offset the good they've done. Isn't our time better spent finding true villains to condemn or additional movers and shakers to commend?

In the hope that the failure of resolutions like this will make them less popular -- and in the belief that the arguments presented are both subjective and insufficient to warrant the revocation of this symbol of merit -- I must vote against this resolution.
Last edited by Aeryis on Tue Nov 18, 2014 3:32 pm, edited 2 times in total.
audentis Fortuna iuvat

Chester Pearson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Tue Nov 18, 2014 7:13 pm

Soooo..... I see Mousey is voting for this. How about we repeal her commendation next?
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,

Feux
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 20, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Feux » Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:58 pm

I voted against. I seem to remember a proposal with rather the same augments presented within it that was dismissed quickly by the individuals lurking on this council forum at the time - having posted on it myself. It was awhile ago; however, I still find the nominee should keep their badge.
Last edited by Feux on Tue Nov 18, 2014 8:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Always Changing Shapes
TheBestDudeInHistory wrote:Feux is what would happen if I had my shitposting physically removed, isolated, and permitted to become sentient on its own. And I mean that in the best way possible. Clearly I need to marry Feux.

Ibrahim Arrham
Civil Servant

Founded: Nov 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Ibrahim Arrham » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:35 am

Feux wrote:I voted against. I seem to remember a proposal with rather the same augments presented within it that was dismissed quickly by the individuals lurking on this council forum at the time - having posted on it myself. It was awhile ago; however, I still find the nominee should keep their badge.

Well forgiveness is one thing in the international forum that seems to be amiss

Feux
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Feux » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:41 am

Ibrahim Arrham wrote:
Feux wrote:I voted against. I seem to remember a proposal with rather the same augments presented within it that was dismissed quickly by the individuals lurking on this council forum at the time - having posted on it myself. It was awhile ago; however, I still find the nominee should keep their badge.

Well forgiveness is one thing in the international forum that seems to be amiss

Why would one "forgive" points you disagree with?
Always Changing Shapes
TheBestDudeInHistory wrote:Feux is what would happen if I had my shitposting physically removed, isolated, and permitted to become sentient on its own. And I mean that in the best way possible. Clearly I need to marry Feux.

Goddess Relief Office
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 04, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Goddess Relief Office » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:03 am

Chester Pearson wrote:Soooo..... I see Mousey is voting for this. How about we repeal her commendation next?

Wow, do you really believe it's ok to repeal somebody's commendation because he/she didn't vote your way?
Keeper of The World Tree - Yggdrasil
General Assembly:
GA#053 - Epidemic Response Act
GA#163 - Repeal LOTS
GA#223 - Transboundary Water Use Act

Security Council:
SC#030 - Commend 10000 Islands (co-author)
SC#044 - Commend Texas (co-author)
SC#066 - Repeal "Liberate Wonderful Paradise"
SC#108 - Liberate South Pacific
SC#135 - Liberate Anarchy (co-author)
SC#139 - Repeal "Liberate South Pacific"

Former delegate and retired defender
Nice links for easy reference:
Passed WA Resolutions | GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | GA Rules

Feux
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Feux » Wed Nov 19, 2014 2:24 am

Goddess Relief Office wrote:
Chester Pearson wrote:Soooo..... I see Mousey is voting for this. How about we repeal her commendation next?

Wow, do you really believe it's ok to repeal somebody's commendation because he/she didn't vote your way?

Chester Pearson wrote: Luna did a lot of work to earn that commendation, and they should be permitted to keep it. Go find a different target....

He could have been making a point GR, depending on whether Chester believes Mouse deserves the commendation.
Always Changing Shapes

Solorni
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Wed Nov 19, 2014 6:55 am

I don't think it is petty to have my vote swayed by the fact that Luna Amore was part of a militant group that sought to destroy my region.
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

Chester Pearson
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Chester Pearson » Wed Nov 19, 2014 10:35 am

Feux wrote:
Goddess Relief Office wrote:Wow, do you really believe it's ok to repeal somebody's commendation because he/she didn't vote your way?

Chester Pearson wrote: Luna did a lot of work to earn that commendation, and they should be permitted to keep it. Go find a different target....

He could have been making a point GR, depending on whether Chester believes Mouse deserves the commendation.

That was my point. Mouse definitely deserves her commendation, and I was an ardent supporter of it, just like Lune deserves his commendation.....
-17.5 / -6
Chester B. Pearson,

Twilight Imperium
Minister

Founded: May 19, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Twilight Imperium » Wed Nov 19, 2014 11:42 am

Also, as Euro's WA delegate, Mouse votes according to polls on our forum. As people seem to keep needing a reminder of. :p

The Stalker
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Stalker » Wed Nov 19, 2014 12:30 pm

I'm against, Luna Amore has earn it.

I dislike this fickle need to modernize that drives the repeal culture in WA, holding two votes on the matter when there could be new ground covered instead of constantly retracing our steps every few years.
The Mad King of Hell
I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"
Hell's Bells: Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.
This isn't Wall Street, this is Hell. We have a little something called integrity.
And I heard as it were the noise of thunder, One of the four beasts saying come and see and I saw, and behold...

Roryntopia
Political Columnist

Founded: Nov 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Roryntopia » Thu Nov 20, 2014 3:34 am

"We will fix it later" is a common disarming tactic used by someone who wishes nothing other than to repeal a resolution.

It is disingenuous at best and deceptive at worst.

Unless a replacement commendation is written in advance of the call to repeal I can't take the claimed intention at face value.

Against.

Drewlantis
Attaché

Founded: Nov 08, 2014
Ex-Nation

Legislation People!

Postby Drewlantis » Thu Nov 20, 2014 10:58 am

I must once again remind all that the argument to replace is an invalid argument. The three steps to actually claim use through this is void due to the fact that there is no replacement anywhere at this time! You must at least have a replacement resolution somewhere within the docket! Otherwise there is no guarantee of a replacement even being debated. The best form would be to include the rewritten commendation within the repeal, thereby instantly assuring both's passage. Seeing as there is none provided on the resolution or anywhere, one cannot possibly vote for this!

With Regards,

Fromm Burgenheimer.
With Regards,
Fromm Burgenheimer.
Minister of the Department of Diplomacy, Ambassador to the WA, Advisor Second Class to Emperor Imperator Andrew Lake the First.
Personality Type: ENTP, that means watch out ladies and gentlemen, either I'm going to take over the world, or rig a toaster to fly, I don't know yet..
Additional random psychology information: No, I'm not insane, and I have no mental illnesses. I am highly intelligent with some narcissistic tendencies who can be very charming when I want to be, which is sometimes described as psychopathy, but I highly doubt it.. Sometimes.. ;)

Bears Armed
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 01, 2006
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Bears Armed » Thu Nov 20, 2014 11:21 am

Our mission at the WA has voted against this proposal.
The Confrederated Clans (and other Confrederated Bodys) of the Free Bears of Bears Armed
(includes The Ursine NorthLands) Demonym = Bear[s]; adjective = ‘Urrsish’.
Population = just under 20 million. Economy = only Thriving. Average Life expectancy = c.60 years. If the nation is classified as 'Anarchy' there still is a [strictly limited] national government... and those aren't "biker gangs", they're traditional cross-Clan 'Warrior Societies', generally respected rather than feared.
Author of some GA Resolutions, via Bears Armed Mission; subject of an SC resolution.
Factbook. We have more than 70 MAPS. Visitors' Guide.
The IDU's WA Drafting Room is open to help you.
Author of issues #429, 712, 729, 934, 1120, 1152, 1474, 1521.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to WA Archives