NATION

PASSWORD

Repeal “Condemn The Dourian Embassy”.

A chamber dedicated to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary.
Ole Dixieland
Political Columnist

Founded: Aug 28, 2006
Capitalist Paradise

Repeal “Condemn The Dourian Embassy”.

Postby Ole Dixieland » Sat Apr 19, 2014 7:27 am

Good mornin' y'all!

This was submitted last night and was removed by the moderation team for being invalid. Could a more experienced SC author advise me on what was illegal about it?

Deeply Regretting the recent passage of Security Council Resolution #140 “Condemn The Dourian Embassy”,

Believing that a grievous error was committed in condemning a nation for its efforts to repeal unneeded, superfluous, and harmful Resolutions,

Wishing to correct this error as quickly as possible,

The World Assembly hereby repeals Security Council Resolution #140 “Condemn The Dourian Embassy”.

Eist
Ambassador

Founded: May 10, 2010
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Eist » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:01 am

I could be persuaded to repeal this but there's no substance to your proposal. It simply states "the condemnation was wrong" without actually giving any reasons why it was wrong.
Unibot III wrote:Frankly, the lows that people sink to in this game is perhaps the most disturbing thing about NationStates Gameplay.

Ole Dixieland
Political Columnist

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ole Dixieland » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:20 am

Eist wrote:I could be persuaded to repeal this but there's no substance to your proposal. It simply states "the condemnation was wrong" without actually giving any reasons why it was wrong.

It touches on the fact that he was condemned, in part, for writing repeals. Should I explain in detail why it's okay to repeal resolutions and why a person shouldn't be condemned for doing so?

Ole Dixieland
Political Columnist

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ole Dixieland » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:43 am

I really don't care one way or the other about the coup in Osiris and hadn't planned on covering that. If that is condemnable he could always be condemned again for that, at a later date.

If a person has been condemned for, say, two different things, is it necessary to refute both charges?

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sat Apr 19, 2014 8:56 am

Rule 2:

(d) Repeals should address the contents of the resolution they're repealing, and not by just stating the reverse of the arguments given in the resolution.

Perhaps the mod thought your justification for repeal was not "argumentative" enough?
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Mousebumples
Game Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Mousebumples » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:08 am

I'm not an SC rule expert, but if you elaborate further why such actions should not be condemned (i.e. such repeals are subject to majority vote, these repeals allowed to rectify particular issues with the targets in question - with details about what the primary issues were, etc.) ... perhaps that could be considered legal?
Leader of the Mouse-a-rific Mousetastic Moderator Mousedom of Mousebumples
Past WA Delegate for Europeia & Monkey Island
Proud Member of UNOG
I'm an "adorably marvelous NatSov" - Mallorea and Riva
GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | Why Repeal? | Reppy's Sig Workshop

Mallorea and Riva
Game Moderator

Founded: Sep 29, 2010
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Mallorea and Riva » Sat Apr 19, 2014 9:17 am

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Rule 2:

(d) Repeals should address the contents of the resolution they're repealing, and not by just stating the reverse of the arguments given in the resolution.

Perhaps the mod thought your justification for repeal was not "argumentative" enough?

Going off of this it's been common practice to remove extremely short SC resolutions following the "Liberate the Eastern Islands of Dharma" shenanigans a few years ago.
Ideological Bulwark #253
Retired Major of The Black Hawks
Retired Charter Nation: Political Affairs in Antarctic Oasis
Retired Colonel of DEN Central Command, now defunct
Former Delegate of The South Pacific, winner of TSP's "Best Dali" Award
Retired Secretary of Defense of Stargate
Terror of The Joint Systems Alliance
Mall Isaraider, son of Tram and Spartz, Brother of Tal and apparently Sev the treacherous bastard.
Frattastan quote of the month: Mall is following those weird beef-only diets now.

The Dourian Embassy
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 15, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby The Dourian Embassy » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:27 am

I think an ideal situation would be to expand on this line "Believing that a grievous error was committed in condemning a nation for its efforts to repeal unneeded, superfluous, and harmful Resolutions,".

Explaining a little about exactly why the resolutions cited by the condemnation were bad might work for fleshing this out.
Treize Dreizehn, President of Douria.

cause ain't no such things as halfway crooks

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:31 am

I feel like this can't happen so soon after the vote was passed, but I think it should still be done later.

Ramaeus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ramaeus » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:42 am

The Sotoan Union wrote:I feel like this can't happen so soon after the vote was passed, but I think it should still be done later.

There's nothing illegal about repealing a resolution right after it passed.
Just some weeb.

The Sotoan Union
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby The Sotoan Union » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:44 am

Ramaeus wrote:
The Sotoan Union wrote:I feel like this can't happen so soon after the vote was passed, but I think it should still be done later.

There's nothing illegal about repealing a resolution right after it passed.

True, but even if it is submitted no one will vote for it. It's also entirely possible that the mods removed it because they don't want the same argument again.

Ramaeus
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 18, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ramaeus » Sat Apr 19, 2014 11:46 am

The Sotoan Union wrote:True, but even if it is submitted no one will vote for it. It's also entirely possible that the mods removed it because they don't want the same argument again.

Predicting the outcome of a vote is always a bad idea. You never know what can happen here.
Just some weeb.

Ole Dixieland
Political Columnist

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Ole Dixieland » Sat Apr 19, 2014 1:28 pm

The Dourian Embassy wrote:I think an ideal situation would be to expand on this line "Believing that a grievous error was committed in condemning a nation for its efforts to repeal unneeded, superfluous, and harmful Resolutions,".

Explaining a little about exactly why the resolutions cited by the condemnation were bad might work for fleshing this out.

I'll work on that. Thanks.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Security Council