NATION

PASSWORD

[DRAFT] Repeal "Commend Goobergunchia"

A chamber dedicated to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Yelda
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Sep 04, 2004
Benevolent Dictatorship

Postby Yelda » Sat Apr 12, 2014 7:08 pm

Unibot III wrote:Goober was a very well respected diplomat and lawmaker.

Agreed, and until I learn more about whatever it is that's going on with Goob I will be opposed to this repeal.
The Yeldan People's Democratic Republic

Ideological Bulwark #40
Another HotRodian puppet

Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Sun Apr 13, 2014 12:24 am

Uh, I mean, shouldn't y'all be using this repeal as a bargaining chip against Goob rather than trying to steamroll it in any case? I mean, if this goes on and passes, I don't see any reason why Goob should pass you the files/give a reason, if he has one to start with. That wouldn't be a very smart course of action.
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

Zaolat
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaolat » Sun Apr 13, 2014 7:59 am

Elke and Elba wrote:Uh, I mean, shouldn't y'all be using this repeal as a bargaining chip against Goob rather than trying to steamroll it in any case? I mean, if this goes on and passes, I don't see any reason why Goob should pass you the files/give a reason, if he has one to start with. That wouldn't be a very smart course of action.

This is just going too much out of the game itself... at least Kenny has the right notion. If a repeal is needed, it should be based on crappy writing or at the least in-game actions that warrant it. Repealing for something out of game, is a little bit over the line.
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms - TRR Forum | Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris - OFO Forum
Guide to the Gameplay Forum | NS Discord Links | One Stop Rules Shop
Max Barry on The Legend of Zelda
<Zaolat>: maxbarry: Have you played any Legend of Zelda video game?
<maxbarry>: I have NEVER played Zelda, I know that is shocking
Victim of the Flag Thief

Blackbird
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Blackbird » Wed Apr 23, 2014 4:41 pm

Unibot III wrote:
Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:Nah, we shouldn't be repealing this just because the target nation has ceased (even if it has caused some collateral damage, namely NSwiki); we should be repealing this because it's a terrible resolution. It's one of those horribly cheesy "player behind" resolutions that passed early on in the SC (written intentionally that way, mind you, by a childishly defiant author who was just trying to piss off GA regulars urging him not to use such language), it really doesn't say a whole lot, and apart from the fact that it highlights NSwiki (a phenomenal resource for NS players for years), the other things it seeks recognition for are pretty trivial, such as goob's authoring Liberate belgium and serving the ADN cabinet (as a deputy secretary). My advice: junk the current argument and come back with something condemning the resolution text on the whole, since it's awful.

His place in ADN was more significant because like Blackbird he was one of the few players that was working with both the ADN and RLA. I believe the original text emphasized this fact. Goober was a very well respected diplomat and lawmaker.

Agreed. Comrade Goobergunchia was one of the great peacemakers between the RLA and ADN.

Darwinish Brentsylvania
Senator

Founded: Aug 21, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Darwinish Brentsylvania » Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:21 am

I'm not so sure about this, they've done a lot for NS, although they've CTE. If I had to choose now, I would vote against this proposal.
Last edited by Darwinish Brentsylvania on Sat Apr 26, 2014 6:22 am, edited 2 times in total.

Todd McCloud
Senator

Founded: Oct 11, 2006
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Todd McCloud » Sat Apr 26, 2014 2:14 pm

Elke and Elba wrote:Uh, I mean, shouldn't y'all be using this repeal as a bargaining chip against Goob rather than trying to steamroll it in any case? I mean, if this goes on and passes, I don't see any reason why Goob should pass you the files/give a reason, if he has one to start with. That wouldn't be a very smart course of action.

I'd rather not try to turn this into blackmail. The time to do such things has probably passed anyway.

Again, I have nothing against Goob. Nice guy, had some good discussions with him. My issue is we have about 5 years of NS history gone. In addition to that, there has not been an answer provided as to the disappearance of this history. Yes, two files were given, but as Afforess pointed out, one was from 2008 and the other seems to be corrupted.

It seems rather silly to me that the one big thing that could solve all the problems here is about 10 minutes worth of communication. That's what really confuses me here. I just don't get it.
"Your uniform doesn't seem to fit. You're much too alive in it."

"You must be the change you want to see in the world" - Gandhi
"The worst prison would be a closed heart." - Pope John Paul II

Zaolat
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 01, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Zaolat » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:02 am

Todd McCloud wrote:

I'd rather not try to turn this into blackmail. The time to do such things has probably passed anyway.

Again, I have nothing against Goob. Nice guy, had some good discussions with him. My issue is we have about 5 years of NS history gone. In addition to that, there has not been an answer provided as to the disappearance of this history. Yes, two files were given, but as Afforess pointed out, one was from 2008 and the other seems to be corrupted.

It seems rather silly to me that the one big thing that could solve all the problems here is about 10 minutes worth of communication. That's what really confuses me here. I just don't get it.

Dude, people have lives and they move on. I doubt he had any malicious intent. Get over it. I thought I had more respect for you, I guess not.
Last edited by Zaolat on Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:03 am, edited 1 time in total.
Former Delegate of the Rejected Realms - TRR Forum | Pharaoh Emeritus of Osiris - OFO Forum
Guide to the Gameplay Forum | NS Discord Links | One Stop Rules Shop
Max Barry on The Legend of Zelda
<Zaolat>: maxbarry: Have you played any Legend of Zelda video game?
<maxbarry>: I have NEVER played Zelda, I know that is shocking
Victim of the Flag Thief

Sciongrad
Minister

Founded: Mar 11, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Sciongrad » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:10 am

Zaolat wrote:
Todd McCloud wrote:I'd rather not try to turn this into blackmail. The time to do such things has probably passed anyway.

Dude, people have lives and they move on. I doubt he had any malicious intent. Get over it. I thought I had more respect for you, I guess not.

Whoa there, calm down. I don't think it's that unreasonable to question why someone couldn't take 2 minutes out of their lives to respond to an email. It's not as if anyone's mad that he left. Most are mad because he hasn't told anyone why, and that's resulted in the loss of thousands of hours of work.
Last edited by Sciongrad on Wed Apr 30, 2014 8:50 am, edited 1 time in total.
Natalia Santos, Plenipotentiary and Permanent Scionite Representative to the World Assembly

Ideological Bulwark #271

Elke and Elba
Minister

Founded: Aug 24, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Elke and Elba » Wed Apr 30, 2014 5:33 am

Sciongrad wrote:
Zaolat wrote:Dude, people have lives and they move on. I doubt he had any malicious intent. Get over it. I thought I had more respect for you, I guess not.

I don't think it's that unreasonable to question why someone couldn't take 2 minutes out of their lives to respond to an email. It's not as if anyone's mad that he left. Most are mad because he hasn't told anyone why, and that's resulted in the loss of thousands of hours of work.

Did anyone tried to contact him through other means? A look at certain social media websites shows that he is very much alive, with his old flag and whatnot.
Represented permanently at the World Assembly by Benjamin Olafsen, and on an ad-hoc basis by Alethea Norrland and rarely Gaia Pao and Gabriel Dzichpol.
OOCly retired from the GA/SC for something called 'real life'.
Author of GA#288 and SC#148.
Ratateague wrote:NationStates seems to hate the Geneva Convention. I've lost count in how many times someone has tried to introduce something like it. Why they don't like it is a mystery to me. Probably a lot of jingoist wingnuts.
Ardchoille wrote:When you consider that (violet) once changed the colour of the whole game for one player ... you can understand how seriously NS takes its players.

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:20 am

Elke and Elba wrote:
Sciongrad wrote:
I don't think it's that unreasonable to question why someone couldn't take 2 minutes out of their lives to respond to an email. It's not as if anyone's mad that he left. Most are mad because he hasn't told anyone why, and that's resulted in the loss of thousands of hours of work.

Did anyone tried to contact him through other means? A look at certain social media websites shows that he is very much alive, with his old flag and whatnot.

Yeah. Several avenues have been attempted.

Todd McCloud
Senator

Postby Todd McCloud » Wed Apr 30, 2014 7:30 am

Zaolat wrote:
Todd McCloud wrote:I'd rather not try to turn this into blackmail. The time to do such things has probably passed anyway.

I still fail to grasp the intent here. Of course people have real lives, this is why it's a game. No one wishes any ill will or undo harm on the guy; as it's been stated, I and others have nothing against him. Nor do I believe he's keeping the data from us because he has some odd vendetta or is angry at someone. But that's just a really good assumption. The thing is, I don't know. He's ran the main NSwiki for at least as long as I've been playing the game, the place where all history, records (gameplay, GA, RP, and NS Sports included), national informations, etc were kept. Now it's gone. The fact that I and others here are being attacked for wanting answers doesn't make any sense to me. This isn't about me. It's not about Afforess, the guy who wrote the resolution. It's about the information. Like I said, it's akin to a forum deletion in a large region. I doubt it was done maliciously, but if a big forum was suddenly lost I doubt people would be very understanding about it, intent or non-intent considered.

But it isn't even about that. We just would like some answers, an explanation, heck anything at this point. Help would be appreciated - it doesn't have to be a few of us trying to track things down; perhaps the next avenue would be tapping others for assistance here. Cause we're getting nowhere. And I don't understand why we're getting nowhere. To me it seems simple... but I guess it is not that simple.

Improving Wordiness
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Improving Wordiness » Wed Apr 30, 2014 12:47 pm

I am still interested if there was a general disclaimer that made no guarantee on the information Goob had stored. If there was then I do not see why his commend should be repealed. It would have been on all of the documentation.
Klaus Devestatorie wrote:I'm a massive tool. ;)

Shadow Afforess
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 06, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Shadow Afforess » Wed Apr 30, 2014 1:15 pm

Improving Wordiness wrote:I am still interested if there was a general disclaimer that made no guarantee on the information Goob had stored. If there was then I do not see why his commend should be repealed. It would have been on all of the documentation.

You are free to stroll around and look, but I see no disclaimers: http://archive.nswiki.org/
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Weed
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 23, 2011
Capitalizt

Postby Weed » Wed Apr 30, 2014 2:40 pm

Shadow Afforess wrote:
Improving Wordiness wrote:I am still interested if there was a general disclaimer that made no guarantee on the information Goob had stored. If there was then I do not see why his commend should be repealed. It would have been on all of the documentation.

You are free to stroll around and look, but I see no disclaimers: http://archive.nswiki.org/

The general disclaimer said there was no agreement or contract with the owners of the site or the servers on which it was housed. Sounds to me like a "no promises" type situation. I think when it comes to a free game like this, and a free service provided by one of its players, this is to be assumed. Goob was awesome for maintaining NSwiki for as long as he did, but just because someone supports a service like that for years doesn't mean we assume they will do it forever, especially after they've left the game. It would be similar for being cranky with you ten years down the road if you pulled NS++, at least in my book. All free things come to an end.

Goob was a legend. He did a lot for NS, and just because he could have handled this better doesn't negate that.

Besides, Goob was a mod for a while wasn't he? Mods are perfect and always right, dontchaknow.
I prefer not to be called that
Ex-Defender
Former WASC Author
----V----
Weed
LIVE FREE

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:36 pm

Shadow Afforess wrote:

That's the 2007 archive. Do at least some of the pages reflect the most recent changes before NSwiki went under last year, or is everything pre-2008?
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

Shadow Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadow Afforess » Wed Apr 30, 2014 4:41 pm

Omigodtheykilledkenny wrote:
Shadow Afforess wrote:You are free to stroll around and look, but I see no disclaimers: http://archive.nswiki.org/

That's the 2007 archive. Do at least some of the pages reflect the most recent changes before NSwiki went under last year, or is everything pre-2008?

Everything is 2008 and older.
In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move.

Improving Wordiness
Diplomat

Founded: Dec 05, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Improving Wordiness » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:08 pm

Shadow Afforess wrote:

There is a disclaimer at the bottom of the page?

http://archive.nswiki.org/index.php?title=NSWiki:General_disclaimer
Klaus Devestatorie wrote:I'm a massive tool. ;)

Shadow Afforess
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Shadow Afforess » Wed Apr 30, 2014 11:33 pm

Improving Wordiness wrote:
Shadow Afforess wrote:You are free to stroll around and look, but I see no disclaimers: http://archive.nswiki.org/

There is a disclaimer at the bottom of the page?

http://archive.nswiki.org/index.php?title=NSWiki:General_disclaimer

It makes no mention on storage or ability to retrieve information. It is mostly concerned with copyright and trademarks.

Blackbird
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Blackbird » Fri May 09, 2014 7:02 am

A shame this hasn't gotten off the ground.

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Security Council