NATION

PASSWORD

[TO SUBMIT] "Commend 10000 Islands"

A chamber dedicated to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Goddess Relief Office
Diplomat

Founded: Jun 04, 2006
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Goddess Relief Office » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:05 am

Naivetry wrote:From a purely historical perspective, I can. I can think of a bare handful of regions that have been around in the neighborhood of 6 years, besides the feeders. Texas, Wysteria, NationStates, Europe, Canada, some other RL-named regions... those are the big ones. (Mod, RP, and WA or NS-forums-focused regions I don't know as well.) And that's it. Regional atrophy is no joke, and it is statistically an enormous achievement for 10000 Islands to have survived for as long as it has, with as much strength as it has. Texas has records and can check, but I don't think 10kI has ever fallen below 150 nations or so. That sort of longevity and stability doesn't just happen.

To disagree with you again, I wouldn't count forum posts - post quantity speaks to a community's loquacity, not necessarily its quality, stability, or longevity. Time spent as an active and viable region in-game, on the other hand, does, because in any region without either a RL country name or feeder status, a quality, stable community is the prerequisite not just for sustained growth, but for continued survival at the size that TITO has consistently maintained.

As a founder of two regions myself I'm going to totally agree with the point "Regional atrophy is no joke". Trying to maintain a population and get them active is a lot of work. 10000 Islands has managed to do that. It's one of the few regions besides Texas, Wysteria, etc. that managed that kind of stability. I think this is a point that is worthy of mentioning in the final submission.

A minor change of Naivetry's point though, 10KI has never fallen below 200 (not 150). This is supported by Nsdossier records.

http://www.half-hp.net/uploads/pop_census_10ki.htm
Keeper of The World Tree - Yggdrasil
General Assembly:
GA#053 - Epidemic Response Act
GA#163 - Repeal LOTS
GA#223 - Transboundary Water Use Act

Security Council:
SC#030 - Commend 10000 Islands (co-author)
SC#044 - Commend Texas (co-author)
SC#066 - Repeal "Liberate Wonderful Paradise"
SC#108 - Liberate South Pacific
SC#135 - Liberate Anarchy (co-author)
SC#139 - Repeal "Liberate South Pacific"

Former delegate and retired defender
Nice links for easy reference:
Passed WA Resolutions | GA Resolutions (sorted by category) | GA Rules

Goddess Relief Office
Diplomat

draft

Postby Goddess Relief Office » Tue Dec 01, 2009 11:50 am

Greetings,

I have taken the liberty of putting together some of the points raised so far and added a few additional points of my own that I think are useful. Here is the revised draft.

Commend 10000 Islands
A resolution to recognize outstanding contribution by a nation or region.

Category: Commendation | Nominee: 10000 Islands

Description:
The Security Council,

RECOGNIZING the region 10000 Islands as a pioneer of Nationstates, being one of the first to create an off-site forum, adopt a Constitution, introduce a regional economy and establish a regional currency for role-play in 2003, thereby pushing the boundaries of game play and setting the conventions for many regions that come after;

RECOGNIZING the fact that 10000 Islands has managed to accomplish the difficult task of remaining active and maintaining a population of over 200 nations for six years;

NOTING that 10000 Islands is home to TITO (Ten-thousand Islands Treaty Organization), a well-known defender army;

FURTHER NOTING the achievements of TITO, including its claim of having carried out "more than 1,000 successful defensive interventions (through the mobilization of WA nations)" to protect regions from raider invasion;

RECOGNIZING TITO's defense of invaded regions keeps the World Assembly from being overwhelmed with liberation requests, and is in keeping with the Security Council's fundamental principles of maintaining inter-regional peace and goodwill;

APPLAUDING the fact that, despite attracting the ire of hundreds of invader regions over their defense of invasion targets, the region has never backed down from opposing invaders and has remained true to its core belief of "helping the oppressed and upholding freedom";

NOTING that 10000 Islands was the very first region that was commended, but the commendation was withdrawn because many in the Security Council felt it was poorly written;

HEREBY commends 10000 Islands for its achievements and contributions to NationStates game-play stipulated herein.

Goddess Relief Office
Last edited by Goddess Relief Office on Tue Dec 01, 2009 12:56 pm, edited 1 time in total.
General Assembly:
GA#163 - Repeal LOTS

Security Council:

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Founded: Jun 29, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:16 am

RECOGNIZING the region 10000 Islands as a pioneer of Nationstates, being one of the first to create an off-site forum, adopt a Constitution, introduce a regional economy and establish a regional currency for role-play in 2003, thereby pushing the boundaries of game play and setting the conventions for many regions that come after;

This part sound quite weird, like we have to commend any pioneer, good or bad.

RECOGNIZING the fact that 10000 Islands has managed to accomplish the difficult task of remaining active and maintaining a population of over 200 nations for six years;

NOTING that 10000 Islands is home to TITO (Ten-thousand Islands Treaty Organization), a well-known defender army;

FURTHER NOTING the achievements of TITO, including its claim of having carried out "more than 1,000 successful defensive interventions (through the mobilization of WA nations)" to protect regions from raider invasion;

RECOGNIZING TITO's defense of invaded regions keeps the World Assembly from being overwhelmed with liberation requests, and is in keeping with the Security Council's fundamental principles of maintaining inter-regional peace and goodwill;

This is ok.

APPLAUDING the fact that, despite attracting the ire of hundreds of invader regions over their defense of invasion targets, the region has never backed down from opposing invaders and has remained true to its core belief of "helping the oppressed and upholding freedom";

Wow, i kinda agree with this statement, but it will put SC totally Defender-oriented in my opinion.

NOTING that 10000 Islands was the very first region that was commended, but the commendation was withdrawn because many in the Security Council felt it was poorly written;

Nope, it was indeed poorly written. Leave the "many in the Security Council felt" part.

HEREBY commends 10000 Islands for its achievements and contributions to NationStates game-play stipulated herein.

Just "HEREBY commends 10000 Islands.". The last statement is the official one.
OVERLORD Daniel Mercury of Firstaria
Original Author of SC #5 and SC #30

Philimbesi
Minister

Founded: Jun 07, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Philimbesi » Wed Dec 02, 2009 7:44 am

How about this?

Ignoring 10000 islands C&Cs

REALIZING the subject of the TITO region is a beaten as a dead horse can get.

TIRED of hearing the same old raider vs defender crap

SECRETLY KNOWING that defenders and raiders are pretty much two sides of the same coin.

CONVINCED of the fact that the situation will never be solved to a mutual happiness

KNOWING full well should this pass it will be repealed only to pass again

BELIEVING the potential of the SC is being masked by petty regional soap opera like storylines.

The USP hereby IGNORES the 10000 islands C&C submissions.

Just spitballing
The Unified States Of Philimbesi
The Honorable Josiah Bartlett - President

Ideological Bulwark #235

Goddess Relief Office
Diplomat

Postby Goddess Relief Office » Wed Dec 02, 2009 11:34 am

Firstaria wrote:

This part sound quite weird, like we have to commend any pioneer, good or bad.

No, you don't have to commend any pioneer, but note the gist of the sentence is in the phrase "being one of the first to create an off-site forum, adopt a Constitution, introduce a regional economy and establish a regional currency for role-play in 2003, thereby pushing the boundaries of game play and setting the conventions for many regions that come after".

I know for a fact that at least 3 regions that have or had copied 10000 Islands' system of government, economic system, or forum layout to incorporate into their own regions. Renegade Island Alliance (ceased to exist), 00000 A World Power, and Yggdrasil.

New nations these days take for granted that the region they joined will have a Constitution, off-site forum, spam games, a military, and all the other things that come with it. But these things did not come naturally with NS in 2003. Some one in some region thought about it and put them together. 10000 Islands is one of those early regions that had these.

Firstaria wrote:

Wow, i kinda agree with this statement, but it will put SC totally Defender-oriented in my opinion.

Maybe the sentence could be rephrased. But the idea is that, TITO, being one of the oldest and largest (if not the largest) regional army, naturally becomes the #1 or #2 enemy of many invader regions. (You can count FRA too, but FRA is an alliance and not a regional force like TITO. FRA has more than a dozen member regions). 10000 Islands have to endure invader spam, hate telegrams, nations masquerading as 10000 Islands, anti-10000 Islands propaganda, spying, heckling, or even risks of being hacked over the years. Grub was even deleted at one time because an invader from DEN accused him for something he did not do (he was later restored by the mods after a thorough investigation). The invader-initiated attempt to condemn Grub a few weeks ago is another example.

Other defender regions also get a lot of the same crap, but none of them to the same degree. Despite all of that, 10000 Islands continue to do what they do to help others. That, in my view is deserving of commendation.
General Assembly:
GA#163 - Repeal LOTS

Security Council:

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Thu Dec 03, 2009 2:43 am

Ignoring the spitballing (good job, you demostrated you can post a flame message) i think if you just rewrite the statement n°2 i kinda accept this new draft.

Topid
Minister

Founded: Dec 29, 2008
Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Thu Dec 03, 2009 9:01 pm

So the drafting process has been happening off and on since early august...

Fris, do you still intend to submit the draft as a proposal?
AKA Weed

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:34 pm

This thread is old due to the fact that i opened it when someone proposed the first repeal in august, but that got removed from the floor so...

Then in november someone managed to repeal the previous one. Right now i'm trying to put a DEFINITIVE and SAFE FROM EASY REPEALS text, so i belive a month is enough time. We're actually about to finish it, then i will post it ASAP.

Also, don't call me Fris, Daniel is ok (also what the hell Fris mean??? :lol: I'm First-star nation)
Last edited by Firstaria on Fri Dec 04, 2009 2:36 pm, edited 2 times in total.

A mean old man
Senator

Founded: Jun 27, 2008
Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Sun Dec 06, 2009 10:07 am

Topid wrote:So the drafting process has been happening off and on since early august...

Fris, do you still intend to submit the draft as a proposal?

I'm sure Fris doesn't, but Firs might!

Sorry, I'm just being annoying. I couldn't help swooping in and catching that typo. ;)
A: SC#16 - Repeal "Liberate The Security Council"
A: SC#26 - Commend The Joint Systems Alliance
A: SC#30 - Commend 10000 Islands
A: SC#37 - Condemn NAZI EUROPE
A: SC#38 - Repeal "Condemn NAZI EUROPE"
A: GA#149 - On Expiration Dates
C: SC#58 - Repeal "Commend Sedgistan"
A: SC#62 - Repeal "Condemn Swarmlandia"
C: SC#63 - Commend Ballotonia
A: SC#65 - Condemn Punk Reloaded
C: GA#163 - Repeal "Law of the Sea"
A: SC#72 - Repeal "Commend Mikeswill"
C: SC#74 - Condemn Lone Wolves United
C: SC#76 - Repeal "Condemn Thatcherton"
A: SC#81 - Repeal "Condemn Anthony Delasanta"
C: SC#83 - Condemn Automagfreek
C: SC#84 - Repeal "Liberate Islam"
C: SC#111 - Commend Krulltopia ← please forget

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Tue Dec 08, 2009 6:45 am

PROBABLY THE FINAL DRAFT, WHO WILL BE PROBABLY POSTED AFTER THE AEGARA VOTE. PLEASE COMMENT!!!

Commend 10000 Islands

Description:
The Security Council, a indipendent organ of the World Assembly,

ACKNOWLEDGING the existence of TITO, the Ten thousand Islands Treaty Organization, a defender army based in 10000 Islands;

APPLAUDING the region of which TITO is based out of, 10000 Islands, for initiating over 1000 successful defensive interventions (through the mobilization of TITO-involved WA nations) to protect hundreds of regions from raider invasion:

AWARE that TITO keeps the World Assembly from being overwhelmed with liberation requests, as their goal of "seek[ing] to live in peace with all regions in NationStates, but [refusing to] back down to the those that wish to impose their will on innocent regions" shares its fundamental principles with the Security Council's "[dedication] to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary."

NOTING that 10000 Islands was the very first region that was commended, but the commendation was withdrawn because it was poorly written;

BELIEVING that these contributions go far beyond what can normally be expected from a region, and are hence worthy of World Assembly comendation;

HEREBY commends 10000 Islands.

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:36 pm

Firstaria wrote:PROBABLY THE FINAL DRAFT, WHO WILL BE PROBABLY POSTED AFTER THE AEGARA VOTE. PLEASE COMMENT!!!

Commend 10000 Islands

Description:
The Security Council, an indipendent independentorgan of the World Assembly,

ACKNOWLEDGING the existence of TITO, the Ten thousand Islands Treaty Organization, a defender army based in 10000 Islands;

APPLAUDING the region of which TITO is based out of, 10000 Islands, for initiating over 1000 successful defensive interventions (through the mobilization of TITO-involved WA nations) to protect hundreds of regions from raider invasion:

AWARE that TITO keeps the World Assembly from being overwhelmed with liberation requests, as their goal of "seek[ing] to live in peace with all regions in NationStates, but [refusing to] back down to the those that wish to impose their will on innocent regions" shares its fundamental principles with the Security Council's "[dedication] to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary."

NOTING that 10000 Islands was the very first region that was commended, but the commendation was withdrawn because it was poorly written;

BELIEVING that these contributions go far beyond what can normally be expected from a region, and are hence worthy of World Assembly commendation;

HEREBY commends 10000 Islands.

Fix those two spelling mistakes before submitting, please. :)

This one is a much better resolution, and was what I originally wanted when I started this whole mess with my Repeal effort. Unfortunately, because I was stopped the raiders had their way and ruined everything... But, now we are finally back on track.

EDITED to add the an, which A mean old man caught. :hug:
Last edited by Topid on Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
AKA Weed

A mean old man
Senator

Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:37 pm

I also fail to see how the "independent organ of the World Assembly" line is relevent or accurate.
Last edited by A mean old man on Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:38 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Topid
Minister

Capitalizt

Postby Topid » Tue Dec 08, 2009 2:42 pm

A mean old man wrote:

I also fail to see how the "independent organ of the World Assembly" line is relevent or accurate.

Shhh we've been debating this for like three months, I'm ready for an at vote already. :p
AKA Weed

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Thu Dec 10, 2009 11:48 am

OK, two mispelling errors corrected. However, i have to posticipate the proposal to the 18 due to real life important issues, which can damage my campaign to promote this resolution.

A mean old man
Senator

Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Thu Dec 10, 2009 3:03 pm

AWARE that TITO keeps the World Assembly from being overwhelmed with liberation requests, as their goal of "seek[ing] to live in peace with all regions in NationStates, but [refusing to] back down to the those that wish to impose their will on innocent regions" shares its fundamental principles with the Security Council's Stray end-quote: "[dedication] to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary."

Other than that, I think this is ready for submittal. When you're ready, Firstaria, go for it.

Naivetry
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 02, 2006
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Naivetry » Sat Dec 12, 2009 12:43 pm

Goddess Relief Office wrote:A minor change of Naivetry's point though, 10KI has never fallen below 200 (not 150). This is supported by Nsdossier records.

http://www.half-hp.net/uploads/pop_census_10ki.htm

Thanks, GRO. :) I didn't think I'd ever seen it below 200, but I didn't have time to fact check and felt like playing it safe. *tips hat*

New draft looks good to me.

Unibotian WASC Mission
Diplomat

Founded: Oct 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Unibotian WASC Mission » Sat Dec 12, 2009 1:10 pm

I like the newest draft, gents. Keep up the good work. If you submit it now, it probably won't make it up-to-vote to next year, I think that will be enough time for the salad dressing fever of the SC to die down and for people to except another Commendation of 10000 islands. I'd be prepared for Aegera to stomp it though, maybe you should contact some big league delegates and talk about a vote stacking strategy (I might have to do this for "Liberate Utopia").

Lustrous Lemurs
Secretary

Founded: May 03, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Lustrous Lemurs » Sun Dec 13, 2009 1:39 pm

Unibotian WASC Mission wrote:I like the newest draft, gents. Keep up the good work. If you submit it now, it probably won't make it up-to-vote to next year, I think that will be enough time for the salad dressing fever of the SC to die down and for people to except another Commendation of 10000 islands. I'd be prepared for Aegera to stomp it though, maybe you should contact some big league delegates and talk about a vote stacking strategy (I might have to do this for "Liberate Utopia").

Yes, I think absolutely should corrupt the big guns of the WA so they can pat these arch villains or their back. If this goes through, I will certainly hope someone draft a repeal.
In memory of Ida.

A mean old man
Senator

Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Sun Dec 13, 2009 2:00 pm

Lustrous Lemurs wrote:
Unibotian WASC Mission wrote:I like the newest draft, gents. Keep up the good work. If you submit it now, it probably won't make it up-to-vote to next year, I think that will be enough time for the salad dressing fever of the SC to die down and for people to except another Commendation of 10000 islands. I'd be prepared for Aegera to stomp it though, maybe you should contact some big league delegates and talk about a vote stacking strategy (I might have to do this for "Liberate Utopia").

Yes, I think absolutely should corrupt the big guns of the WA so they can pat these arch villains or their back. If this goes through, I will certainly hope someone draft a repeal.

Wait, should I pat the "arch villains" or should I pat "their back?"

Travancore-Cochin
Envoy

Founded: Jun 25, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Travancore-Cochin » Mon Dec 14, 2009 2:02 pm

Lustrous Lemurs wrote:Yes, I think absolutely should corrupt the big guns of the WA so they can pat these arch villains or their back. If this goes through, I will certainly hope someone draft a repeal.

..and see it FAIL. Rather epically. Because invaders can't stand on two legs and author resolutions that aren't bucket loads of fail, it seems.

Firstaria
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Firstaria » Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:54 am

I personally think Aegara had only two good point in his repeal:
- poor written resolution.
- neutrality of WA.

In this discussion we TOTALLY solved the first problem, and discussed about the second enough to clearly state that this resolution COMMENDS A NATION, not a side, and expecially don't condemns anyone on the other side.

And we discussed to if this "neutrality" thing still exist in the SC, and i (and others) think it doesn't. Expecially since "Liberation" or "C&C" exist, because they officaly ask to the WA do classify someone, thus putting someone OUTSIDE the "neutrality".

About the resolution, i will make a first try before Xmas, on 18, but if the proposal fail i will try again on January, after the holydays.
Last edited by Firstaria on Tue Dec 15, 2009 7:55 am, edited 1 time in total.

A mean old man
Senator

Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Tue Dec 15, 2009 3:14 pm

No... Aegara's was clearly defining that raiders had to be condemned, which was wrong. In fact, his was against neutrality.

...and there are still quite a few people who would like to see neutrality in the SC, but I'm not going to get into that again.

Travancore-Cochin
Envoy

Founded: Jun 25, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Travancore-Cochin » Wed Dec 16, 2009 9:01 am

A mean old man wrote:No... Aegara's was clearly defining that raiders had to be condemned, which was wrong. In fact, his was against neutrality.

...and there are still quite a few people who would like to see neutrality in the SC, but I'm not going to get into that again.

He was not talking about Aegara's attempted condemnation; he was talking about the repeal of the original Commend 10KI, which was authored by Aegara.

A mean old man
Senator

Father Knows Best State

Postby A mean old man » Wed Dec 16, 2009 2:38 pm

Whoops.

Goddess Relief Office
Diplomat

Postby Goddess Relief Office » Thu Dec 17, 2009 10:42 am

A mean old man wrote:I also fail to see how the "independent organ of the World Assembly" line is relevent or accurate.

I agree with A mean old man, I would prefer not to have that particular line. Having that does not add to the resolution and may possibly create debates as to the role of the SC vis-a-vis the World Assembly (if and) when the resolution comes up to vote. While most, if not all of the forum regulars know that the SC has been 'split' from the WA through a former resolution and the mods are in the process of splitting the queues for each, the majority of the voting WA nations may not know this.
General Assembly:
GA#163 - Repeal LOTS

Security Council:

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Security Council