NATION

PASSWORD

[Abandoned] Repeal "Commend Tiago Silva"

A chamber dedicated to the dissemination of inter-regional peace and goodwill, via force if necessary.

Advertisement

Remove ads

District XIV
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 01, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:22 pm

Chester Pearson wrote:
District XIV wrote:You know, Chester, your attitude of 'lets just not' which stains the WA can be a real pain sometimes...

No one is twisting your arm and forcing you to participate....

That statement ironically applies more to you than it does me. No one is 'forcing you to participate' either, so why leave pointless comments on the lines of 'let's just not'...? :eyebrow:
Last edited by District XIV on Wed Aug 27, 2014 8:17 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Cormac A Stark
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 24, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Cormac A Stark » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:22 pm

I'm not sure someone should be commended just for making flags. I do get that we're talking about the default NationStates flags, but we have a number of custom flag makers who have designed high quality flags for many players -- and they aren't commended. I don't see a substantive difference between them and between Tiago Silva except that the latter's flags became the default flags, and obviously we aren't going to commend every flag maker.

Aside from that, even if I'm iffy on the basis of the commendation, the resolution itself is one of the most poorly written resolutions I've ever seen. It's literally just a couple of sentences haphazardly thrown together. Whatever your views of Tiago Silva's contributions, I'm appalled that a low quality resolution like SC#43 passed in the first place. To those who want Tiago Silva commended, at least take the time to author a commendation worthy of being on the Security Council's books.

I'm in favor of this repeal proposal and I've approved it.

District XIV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Wed Aug 27, 2014 10:24 pm

Cormac A Stark wrote:I'm not sure someone should be commended just for making flags. I do get that we're talking about the default NationStates flags, but we have a number of custom flag makers who have designed high quality flags for many players -- and they aren't commended. I don't see a substantive difference between them and between Tiago Silva except that the latter's flags became the default flags, and obviously we aren't going to commend every flag maker.

Aside from that, even if I'm iffy on the basis of the commendation, the resolution itself is one of the most poorly written resolutions I've ever seen. It's literally just a couple of sentences haphazardly thrown together. Whatever your views of Tiago Silva's contributions, I'm appalled that a low quality resolution like SC#43 passed in the first place. To those who want Tiago Silva commended, at least take the time to author a commendation worthy of being on the Security Council's books.

I've approved it as well for the above two reasons; should we commend New Dolgaria for making flags as well? :P

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Sacara » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:48 pm

The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

District XIV
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby District XIV » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:53 pm

Sacara wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Aboriginal_Flag

Yes, we know :P

Sacara
Ambassador

Founded: May 13, 2014

Postby Sacara » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:55 pm

District XIV wrote:
Sacara wrote:http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Australian_Aboriginal_Flag

Yes, we know :P

Also called 'aboriginal'.
The Spacefaring Federation of Sacara
I spend most of my time in the Got Issues? sub-forum.
Issues That I've Authored (15)
Commended by SC #382
"Our Universe is under no obligation to make sense to you" - Neil deGrasse Tyson

Klaus Devestatorie
Minister

Founded: Aug 28, 2008
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Klaus Devestatorie » Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:11 am

Repealing this is like no longer giving any respect to NASA because they put man on the moon in 1969, because it would be comparatively easy for us to do all the maths and build the physical requirements to do it again at the same standard done in 1969, when it's now 2014. Leave this one alone, or if you really want it gone because of bad writing, at least replace it with a well written one when you're done.
Last edited by Klaus Devestatorie on Sun Aug 31, 2014 7:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Omigodtheykilledkenny
Negotiator

Founded: Mar 14, 2005

Postby Omigodtheykilledkenny » Sun Aug 31, 2014 5:45 pm

@OP: I'm just curious; what is the arbitrary standard for being worthy of commendation?
Omigodtheykilledkenny FAQ | "The Biggest Sovereigntist IN THE WORLD" - Chester Pearson

The Stalker
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 04, 2012
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Stalker » Tue Sep 09, 2014 7:18 pm

It was a worthy accomplishment of it's time, this nit picky repeal culture ruins the preservation of NS History.
The Mad King of Hell
I am the "who" when you call, "Who's there?"
Hell's Bells: Ask not for whom the bell tolls, it tolls for thee.
This isn't Wall Street, this is Hell. We have a little something called integrity.
And I heard as it were the noise of thunder, One of the four beasts saying come and see and I saw, and behold...

Lucifer Marttanheim
Secretary

Founded: Sep 03, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Lucifer Marttanheim » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:03 am

As I understand from here, he was commended for something which was deemed great at the time.

I don't see why it should be repealed now, when there are far more...necessary and I dare say, present day commendations that may or may not have to be repealed.
If you're wondering why someone like me was chosen to represent a nation, it is because that same wonder is what forced my superiors to choose me, my dear fellow.

Nephmir
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Nephmir » Wed Sep 10, 2014 11:37 am

Well, the main reason for a repeal being that the proposal itself is poorly written.

But I will no longer be trying for this target, as I submitted it and it failed (as expected). Just wanted to see how far my first proposal would get. I am working on a new proposal with a new target, so... thanks for coming, everyone, and thanks for the help!
SC Resolutions
SC#165 | SC#173
_
_
The 300 Endorsements of Nephmir
"100 by land, 100 by air, 100 by sea."
Mercenary of The Sable Order
Commander in Project Soul

Solorni
Minister

Founded: Sep 04, 2007
Ex-Nation

Postby Solorni » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:14 am

Best of luck in your next endeavours Nephmir :)
Lovely Queen of Balder
Proud Delegate of WALL

Lucky Number 13

Previous

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Security Council