NATION

PASSWORD

Factbook of the Royal Calathonian Empire

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]
Royal Calathonia
Senator

Founded: Aug 29, 2010
Ex-Nation

Factbook of the Royal Calathonian Empire

Postby Royal Calathonia » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:31 pm

In order to provide the nations of the world with more information about the Empire of Royal Calathonia, Her Imperial Majesty Catherine II, Empress of Royal Calathonia, has hereby decreed that a factbook shall be set up, describing the history, economy, government, culture, and population of the Royal Calathonian Empire. This shall be organized and compiled, and will be released in the Imperial Post. A copy of it will be maintained in the Imperial Archives.

Signed,

Contents of the Factbook:

1. Introduction (this first page)

2. Basic Facts

3. The History of the Empire

4. The Imperial Government

5. The Imperial Armed Forces

6. Foreign Relations

7. Geography

8. Economy

9. Demographics

10. Colonies

(This factbook will be heavily modified soon, especially in the basic facts, history, geography, and government sections.)
Last edited by Royal Calathonia on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:35 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Name: Royal Calathonian Empire

National Population: 740,000,000 (set by me, for roleplay purposes)

National Currency: Imperial Dataries

Link to Factbook: viewtopic.php?f=23&t=89919

Link to NS Wiki Article: http://nswiki.net/index.php?title=Royal ... ian_Empire

Royal Calathonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Basic Facts

Postby Royal Calathonia » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:36 pm

Basic Facts

Full Name of Nation: Royal Calathonian Empire

Population (not including Colonies): 740,000,000

Demonym: Royal Calathonian, Calathonian

Head of State: Her Imperial Majesty Catherine II, Empress of Royal Calathonia

Head of Government: Her Imperial Majesty Catherine II, Empress of Royal Calathonia

Form of Government: Absolute Monarchy and Autocratic Empire

Capital City: Imperial City

Imperial Currency: Imperial Dataries

Imperial Animal: Frederickian Tiger

Primary Languages: English and Royal Calathonian

GDP: $19 billion Imperial Dataries
Last edited by Royal Calathonia on Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Royal Calathonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

The History of the Empire

Postby Royal Calathonia » Sat Jan 08, 2011 12:51 pm

The History of the Empire

Ancient History

Starting around 760 BC, the first tribal groups of what would eventually become the Royal Calathonians began to congerate in the western territories of what is now the Empire. Tribal groups arrived from Central Asia, Florisland, and from south-eastern Commonwealth Europe. By around 200 BC, the Scalarian civilization became the dominant tribal group in southern European Calathonia. They were notable for their bronze pottery and their extreme pagan religion. They survived until the early 200s AD, when they were succeeded by the Avarians.

Around the 200s AD, the Avarian civilization overwhelmed the Roman colonies on the Black Sea coast, thus beginning their well-known penetration into western Commonwealth Europe during the time of the collapse of the Roman Empire. By the time of Socarian the Avar, the Avarians ruled a empire which stretched from modern western Royal Calathonia to as far as the boundaries of Roman-occupied Gaul. Socarian penetrated as far as Rome before his death. After Socarian's death, the Avarian civilization disintegrated, and were replaced by the Kyrosolyans, who remained the dominant power in southern Calathonia until the 800s AD.

The first true ethnically Royal Calathonian tribes began to consolidate into primitive principalities and states around the 700s AD, fully establishing themselves by the mid 800s AD. They came in from south-eastern Commonwealth Europe, Transcaucasia, and Florisland. They replaced the Kryosolyan civilization as the dominant group in the territories of Royal Calathonia.

The Era of the Calathonian Principalities

On 25 December 862, the peoples of the northern Calathonian principality of Boslograd invited a Viking prince, Casograd, to become their new ruler. Casograd and his family had wandered around northern Europe for nearly fifteen years. They were adventurers who took jobs as merchants, mercenaries, and advisers to northern European rulers. Thus the Rurkian Dynasty was established, who would rule Royal Calathonia until the 1500s. During the first three centuries of its reign, the Rurkian Dynasty ruled only over Boslograd, with other families ruling over the other principalities (Slavmolensk, Belargrad, Kylaslaw, Tverania, Pskovland, and Ryozoland).

However, around the 1200s AD, a junior branch of the Dynasty, the Halosians, established themselves as the princelings of a minor town called Socallburg, which would eventually become Royal Calathonian City in the 1500s AD. It was located in the principality of Slavmolensk. The Halosians extended their power and dominance over the rest of the Royal Calathonian principalities in the preceding centuries. Two of their greatest rulers became Richard I the Great and Ivan I the Slayer. These two men quadrupled the size of the Socallburg Principality, transforming it into the Grand Principality of Socallburg. The Principality eventually came to absorb Slavmolensk, it's own parent state.

Eventually, by the early 1500s, after some two centuries of expansion, Socallburg consisted of the great majority of the ethnic Royal Calathonian lands (except those in Belarsissa and Usorania), and in 1547, Ivan II the Founder was crowned the first King of Royal Calathonia. Thus the first centralized true Royal Calathonian state was established. This kingdom remained until the early 1700s, when it was replaced by the present Royal Calathonian Empire.

During the 16th century, the Kingdom of Royal Calathonia engaged in a series of inconclusive wars with the Kingdom of Baltia and the Commonwealth of Posoland. At the same time, under the rule of Ivan the Founder, Royal Calathonia expanded into the east, defeating and annexing the tribal khanates or emirates of Kasoland, Turkismengrad, and Western Siberia. It also began colonization of the rest of Siberia. By these actions, it became the largest nation in Commonwealth Europe by terms of land size. The kingdom also opened greater contacts with western Commonwealth Europe, as well as Kylarnatia and Osthia.

The 17th Century to the Proclamation of the Empire

Following the death of Ivan II the Founder in 1598, Royal Calathonia fell into a period of ever deepening economic depression, famine, and civil war, called the Devastation Period. Also, invaders from the Commonwealth of Posoland and marauders from Kioytland invaded the western Calathonian lands, causing wide-spread devastation, and one Poso prince even made himself the King-in-name of Royal Calathonia. However, in 1618, a Royal Calathonian army threw the foreigners out of most of the ethnic Royal Calathonian lands, and a German prince, named Ludwig, was invited to become the next King of Royal Calathonia. Thus began the Fredericklandian Dynasty, who would rule Royal Calathonia until the deposition of Emperor Ferdinand I by Chancellor Otto Bismarck in 2010.

Over the course of the 17th century, Royal Calathonia gradually recovered from the Devastation Period, and began a process of resumed expansion. In eastern Europe, Royal Calathonia avenged it's humiliation at the hands of Posoland during the times of the Devastation by defeating it in the War of 1656, annexing eastern Usorania, the city of Coslaw, and parts of eastern Belarsissa. In the east, it completed it's expansion into Siberia, reaching the Pacific coast by the end of the 1640s. Also, increased commerce and contact with Western Commonwealth Europe introduced modern customs, ideas, and culture amongst the Royal Calathonian elite and common population by the end of the 17th century.

In 1684, a prince named Frederick William ascended to the Royal Calathonian throne upon the death of his uncle, Ludwig Ferdinand I. Frederick William would become known as "the Great", for he reorganized the government and military, extended Royal Calathonia's territory, and established the Empire. In the first ten years of his reign, the king visited Western Commonwealth Europe, and also went as far as the Empire of Kylarnatia, the future ally of Royal Calathonia. He meet with Archduke Leopold II of Austria, King Stanislaw Augustus I of Posoland, and Tsar Zane II of Kylarnatia. By this he learned Western technology and trades.

Frederick William introduced a series of reforms in the Kingdom, meant to consolidate his power and to strengthen Royal Calathonia's stand. These reforms adopted the Gregorian calendar, established Royal Calathonia's first new university in centuries, introduced benefits to the common population, brought the nobility under closer central control, and reorganized the entire local administrative system. Eventually, in the 1710s, the king established the Council of Ministers as his personal advisory body, which exists to this day.

Frederick William I fought the Kingdom of Kioytland in the Great Northern War, allied with Posoland, German Prussia, and numerous other states, for nearly twenty-one years. At first, Royal Calathonian armies were constantly defeated at numerous battles, including those at Narvland and Dadis, but eventually, the king reorganized the military and established the first Royal Calathonian navy. He then defeated the Kiyotlan king at the Battle of Poslava in 1709. Finally, the war ended in 1721 with the Treaty of Yemjud, which seceded the majority of modern-day Baltia, as well parts of Karkelia and Ingria, to the Kingdom of Royal Calathonia. Thus, Royal Calathonian access to the Baltic Sea and Northern commerce was secured. Kioytland, in separate treaties, seceded it's territories in northern Germany to Prussia, and paid reparations to Posoland.

Finally, on October 21, 1721, the Royal Council, the Royal Chancellory, and the Royal Calathonian Catholic Church, in celebration of the victory over Kioytland, officially proclaimed King Frederick William I the first Emperor of Royal Calathonia. Thus the present Royal Calathonian Empire was established, which has thrived to the present day. Frederick William I was also given his honorary title of "the Great" at the same time by those same bodies, and was also called Father of the Nation.

The First Two Centuries of the Empire (1721-1900), Part 1

The 18th and 19th centuries witnessed a great expansion of the Empire's boundaries, economy, and strength. Frederick William I the Great continued to reign over Royal Calathonia as her first Emperor until 1725, when he died of a heart attack while in his private quarters. Most of the rest of the century witnessed the reign of three Empresses, each one who followed after the other. All of these Empresses were known for their beauty, ambition, and desire for power. These were Charlotte I (reigned 1725-1740), Anne I (reigned 1740-1762), and Catherine I the Great (reigned 1762-1796).

Charlotte I (reigned 1725-1740), was the oldest daughter of Emperor Frederick William I the Great. She came to power upon her father's death. Her reign saw the instigation of construction of the current Imperial Palace, which would be completed by Charlotte's successors Anne I and Catherine the Great. Charlotte I was also known for encouraging culture, the arts, and literature, for having a whole swath of lovers (one was rumored to be female), and for using diplomatic means to extend Royal Calathonia's power. By this, she secured Royal Calathonian dominance over Posoland, as part of a agreement to assist that country during the War of the Posoland Succession during the 1730s. She also brought a end to constant Turkish tribal raids in the South, while at the same time annexing the port of Azovland and the basin of the Mendelian River. Charlotte I also encouraged contacts with Kylarnatia, Prussia, and Britain.

Anne I (reigned 1740-1762), was the youngest daughter of Frederick William I, being born only a year before his death. Succeeding to the throne on the death of Empress Charlotte from diphtheria in early 1740, she would become known for her extraordinary beauty (she was widely regarded the most beautiful woman in Royal Calathonia), and also her appetite for luxury, comfort, and fortune. Anne was known for delaying decisions for weeks, even months, and also for her habit of holding luxurious parties three times a week. The Empress also was known for the horde of lovers she had, and her indulging of wealth and power. Despite these erroneous habits, she had the best thoughts and intentions for her nation. During her reign, the University of Imperial City was expanded, the Scientific Academy was established, and a early public education system for the poor was created. Science, medicine, and agriculture was also encouraged, while commerce in the Baltic and Black Seas was also increased. The Empress also involved Royal Calathonia, in the last years of her reign, in the Seven Years' War, attempting to curb Prussian ambitions. The destruction of that small state was only stopped with her sudden death in January 1762.

The last in these line of 18th century "Beautiful Empresses" was Catherine I the Great (reigned 1762-1796). Catherine was originally a German princess, who had come to Royal Calathonia to marry the heir to the throne, Grand Duke Peter Alexandrovich. However, Peter was mentally retarded and physically challenged, and was also intellectually deficient. Catherine however, was his complete opposite, and dipped herself in the literature of the time. She became well-versed in numerous languages, including her native German, French, English, and Royal Calathonian. She also was influenced by the Enlightenment movement of the time. She came to earn the respect and liking of Empress Anne. In January 1762, Anne died, and Peter was about to take the reins of the throne, but Catherine, with the support of her friends and allies, banished him and took power herself.

Her 34-year reign saw the great extension of the Empire's boundaries in the west and south-west. Through the Partitions of Posoland, Empress Catherine annexed the rest of Baltia, parts of Posoland, western Usorania, and Belarsissa. In the two Calathonian-Turkish Wars, Catherine incorporated the Crimea-Land, consolidating a Royal Calathonian presence on the northern Black Sea, as well annexing most of southern Usorania. At home, Catherine introduced Enlightenment ideas and customs into her Empire, began the Industrial Revolution in Royal Calathonia, completed the construction of the Imperial Palace, and opened two new universities, a art museum, and a Imperial Library. Catherine also relaxed restrictions on the press. However, in the last years of her reign, she became reactionary as a result of the French Revolution. Empress Catherine died in 1796 from a stroke.

The First Two Centuries of the Empire (1721-1900), Part 2

Catherine's death in 1796 brought a end to the Age of the Beautiful Empresses, for the 19th century was to be dominated by male rulers. The first of these rulers was Catherine's son, Frederick I of Royal Calathonia (reigned 1796-1801). During his mother's reign, Frederick had been cast to the background, largely ignored by his mother and her court. Frederick, as Emperor, wanted to reverse many of Catherine's innovations. In 1800, he issued the first organized Imperial Law of Succession, which gave male heirs preeminence in the line of succession over females. This was one of the reasons that most of the rulers of the Empire from then to the present day have been male. However, his other attempts at reversing his mother's reforms flopped, and he died in March 1801, when poisoned by some of his servants, who did not like his policies.

Frederick's son, Frederick II (reigned 1801-1820), came to power after his father's assassination. The reign of Emperor Frederick II was virtually dominated by foreign policy, although domestic innovations also occurred. Frederick II involved Royal Calathonia in the Napoleonic Wars on a more increased scale then had his grandmother and father. In 1805, Royal Calathonian and Austrian forces suffered a grave defeat at the Battle of Austerlitz, which lead to Frederick being forced into a alliance with Napoleon. However, Royal Calathonia broke away in 1811, leading Napoleon to invade the empire in 1812. Due to the heavy resistance of Royal Calathonian civilians and the landscape of the country, his invasion failed, with Napoleon eventually losing more then 80% of his massive invasion force. Frederick II would later on lead the European offensives into France, culminating in Napoleon's exile in 1815, and would be involved in the Congress of Vienna, by which Royal Calathonia gained most of central Posoland. During his reign also, Frederick II annexed Florisland (from Kioyoto in 1809) and Beershabia (from Turkey in 1812). At home, Emperor Frederick expanded the Royal Calathonian public education system, promoted commerce and trade, and realigned the government civil service system.

After Frederick died in 1820, his only child, Anne II, came to power, although only ruling until 1825. Afterwards, Anne's cousin Nicholas became Emperor (reigned 1825-1835). Although his reign lasted only 10 years, Nicholas did much to further the Empire's expansion and progress. It was during his reign that the Royal Calathonian Colonial Association was established, which would lead to the building of a colonial empire in the 1870s and 1880s. Also, industrialization and urbanization began on a large scale, with the construction of Royal Calathonia's first railway, as well a extensive canal system. Factories, mines, and refernies began to be constructed on a large scale. In the Wars against Persia and Turkey, between 1828-1833, Royal Calathonia extended it's territory over much of Transcaucasia and gained firm dominance in the Black Sea respectively. Nicholas I also encouraged literature to a greater extent then any previous Royal Calathonian leader.

After Nicholas I's death from fever in mid 1835, his oldest son Frederick III came to power (reigned 1835-1859). Frederick III's reign saw Imperial expansion into Central Asia, the completion of the conquest of Transcaucasia, and the penetrations into the Amur provinces. It also saw accelerated industrialization and the great blossoming of Royal Calathonian literature. In 1837, the Imperial Palace suffered a severe fire. Emperor Frederick himself directed the rebuilding and renovation of the palace. He also did much to fuel Imperial City's expansion, adding more then 140 square miles to the capital city, by annexing smaller towns or suburbs in it's vicinity. These included Soultok in 1838 and Victor in 1845. In 1833, the first metalled road in Royal Calathonia was constructed, thus beginning a great boom in the expansion of the road and railway systems. Royal Calathonia's industrialization drive transformed it from a largely rural nation to a modern, industrialized nation with numerous major cities. Also, it expanded greatly in terms of territory. In 1848, the Khanate of Thelmaland, in northern Turkemania, was annexed, and in 1851, the Sultanate of Boris, in central Turkemania, was made a Royal Calathonian protectorate (eventually completely annexed in 1865). Finally, in 1856, the Emirate of Kylaransia was incorporated into the Empire. By 1858, the foundations were being laid for the Imperial Province of Turkemania. And in the Far East, in 1858, Royal Calathonia forced China to secede all the provinces north of the Amur. The provinces south of the Amur and east of Manchuria would be incorporated in 1860, a year after Frederick's death.

In 1858, Frederick III suffered a debilitating heart attack, and eventually died in June 1859. He was succeeded by his younger brother William (reigned 1859-1888), who became William I, Emperor of Royal Calathonia. The reign of William I would see numerous important events occur across much of the world. It was during this time that Royal Calathonia consolidated it's position as a major industrialized economy, completed the conquest of Central Asia, and began to establish it's own colonial empire. The unification of Germany, the Age of African Colonialism, and the American Civil War also occurred during this period of time. In 1860, the incorporation of the Amur provinces was completed, and the port of Muninchlandsburg was established to facilitate trade in the Pacific. In 1865, Boris in Central Asia was incorporated, in 1864, the Tribal Chiefdom of Uuva was conquered, and in 1867, the Khanates of Bursa and Susa, on the eastern side of the Caspian Sea, were annexed. By 1870, tribal territories directly north of the Kylarnatian possession of Mesopotamia were annexed, and by 1879, all of Turkemania was under Royal Calathonian rule. Thus a period of tension with Kylarnatia began, until a agreement concerning economic and colonial interests was signed in 1907.

William I's reign also saw the great leap forward in industrialization. By the 1880s, Royal Calathonia was truly a industrial economy, with a great transportation system, well-developed industrial sector, and efficiently organized agricultural, mining, and forestry sectors. Enormous industrial and economic growth continued into the early 20th century. In Europe, in 1871 Germany was unified under the rule of Prussia, while in the Austrian Domains, a series of administrative reforms occurred which transformed that state into a sort of loose monarchical confederation.

As also mentioned above, the Royal Calathonian colonial empire began to be laid in the 1870s and 1880s. In 1874, the Imperial Government and the Colonial Association sponsored exploratory missions to Southern Africa, which would lay the foundations for the colonies of Newer Calathonia and Grand Calathonia. This brought the Empire into diplomatic tension with Kylarnatia, which covered most of north Africa, as well it's conquest of Turkemania. In 1876, the Empire signed a Treaty with Spain, which gained it a large collection of islands in the Pacific, which became the colony of Fredericksland. In 1878, the Empire claimed islands in the Baltic Sea north of Germany and parts of Denmark, which became the Colony of East Germanialand. And in 1879, a string of forts were acquired in southeastern Indira.

During the 1880s, the colonies of New Calathonia and Grand Calathonia were established in Africa, as was the colony of Ariansland in south-eastern Burma. The Empire also consolidated a firmer presence in Indira and began acquiring influence over Manchuria, a province of China. The Trans-Siberian Railway was also completed in this time. In 1884, the Convention of Berlin outlined colonial territories in Africa, regulated navigation on the Congo and Nile Rivers, and officially outlawed the slave trade.

William I died in 1888, and was succeeded by Frederick IV (reigned 1888-1913). Frederick's reign saw the acquisition of great influence in north-eastern China, the conclusion of large-scale industrialization, the strengthening of the colonial empire, and the great expansion of the Imperial Navy. Frederick IV began great economic development in the colonies, encouraging within their boundaries agriculture, industry, and investment; by 1908, all but Fredericksland were self-reliant, although they still imported products from Royal Calathonia. Frederick IV also signed the Treaty of Salioland with the Chinese Dynasty, gaining suzerainty over Manchuria and securing control of the port city of Arthur. Frederick IV also expanded the Imperial Navy, tripling it's size within one decade. By 1905, the Navy was divided into five fleets: the Baltic Sea Fleet, the Black Sea Fleet, the Mediterranean Fleet, the Pacific Fleet, and the Colonial Fleet.

The Beginning of the 20th Century to the Present Day (1900-present)

The Royal Calathonian Empire has remained a relatively active nation since the beginning of the 20th century. Frederick IV's reign carried into the early 1910s. It saw continued Imperial strengthening and consolidation. In 1907, the "Socallburg Entente" was signed with Kylarnatia, and sealed by Frederick IV and Dianne I of Kylarnatia. The Entente solved all concerns regarding Turkemania, the African colonies, and the Indrian territories. It also established a pact of "diplomatic understanding" between Royal Calathonia and Kylarnatia. In 1909, Royal Calathonia signed a treaty with Commonwealth Japan, concerning interests in Manchuria and Sakhalin (the latter of which was confirmed in Royal Calathonian possession).

Frederick IV died in 1913, replaced by his son, who became William II (reigned 1913-1941). William's reign covered World War I and the first three years of World War II. Royal Calathonia became involved in both World Wars. In the first World War, it was allied with Britain and France against Germany and Cairuland. As a result of the first World War, the Empire annexed Galiciland from Cairuland and the Prussian lands from Germany. It also brought Romania and Bulgaria under it's sphere of influence.

In the period between the World Wars, Royal Calathonia, during the 1920s, enjoyed relative prosperity. This was called the Golden Twenties. During this era, foreign affairs was largely ignored, with the people basking themselves in culture, wealth, and economic strength. However, due to overproduction in industry and certain problems concerning the stock market and taxes, this era ended in October 1929, ushering in the Great Depression which lasted into the early 1940s, until the beginning of World War II.

During the 1930s, the Nazi regime under Adolf Hitler gained ascendancy. Hitler used military, as well diplomatic means, to extend the territory of Germany, annexing territories from the Austrian Domains, Denmark, and other nations. Britain and France followed a policy of appeasement towards Germany throughout much of the 1930s. In 1939, Royal Calathonia, hoping to avoid war, signed a series of agreements with Germany, confirming peace between the two countries and allowing the Germans a free hand to the West. Shortly afterwards, World War II broke out, with Royal Calathonia remaining neutral until June 1941, when Germany launched the greatest offensive in European history against it. At first, Royal Calathonian troops were driven back and suffered numerous defeats, but by 1943, the tide changed. Eventually, Royal Calathonia defeated Germany in 1945.

After World War II, Royal Calathonia enjoyed a period of economic prosperity and relative stability, during the reign of Frederick V (1948-1980) and the first 29 years of the reign of Ferdinand I (reigned 1980-2010). During this time, the Golden Age of Television occurred, surpassing both film and radio by the mid 1950s. Also, Royal Calathonia maintained it's international standing, with very few disruptions. However, in 2010, Emperor Ferdinand I launched measures against immigrants from the nation of Alamanimania, which lead to his deposition by Otto I (reigned 2010-2011) who was himself deposed a year later by Elizabeth I (reigned 2011-2012). Eventually, she was deposed by the currently reigning Empress, Catherine II. The Great Syvorjian War occurred recently, but ended in Royal Calathonian victory.
Last edited by Royal Calathonia on Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:42 pm, edited 21 times in total.

Royal Calathonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

The Imperial Government

Postby Royal Calathonia » Sat Jan 08, 2011 1:33 pm

The Imperial Government

The Royal Calathonian Empire is an absolute monarchy and autocratic empire, with the Royal Calathonian Emperor (or Empress, which will be the term used for the rest of the factbook since the current monarch is female) wielding absolute power. The government is divided into the Imperial Royal Court, the Imperial Administration (both central and local), and the Imperial Judiciary. The military command is also subordinated to the government, but will be described later.

Administration:

The Empress

The Royal Calathonian Empress (or Emperor if male, female terms will be used for this description) is the absolute ruler of the Royal Calathonian Empire. The monarch also used to hold the positions of Queen (King) of Brussia and Empress (Emperor) of the various colonies, before the reforms of Empress Catherine. Empress Catherine II is also a honorary Grand Duchess in Royal Calathonia's diplomatic and military ally, Kylarnatia. The Empress is an absolute monarch and she wields supreme power. The Empress appoints and dismisses the Imperial Chancellor, who is accountable and responsible to her, and depends on the Empress's favor. The Empress convenes and dismisses the Imperial Council of Ministers at will. She can set, modify, or repeal their procedures or orders at will. They basically serve as day-to-day administrators, advisers, and executors of the Empress's will. The Empress can issue, modify, or repeal his/her own Imperial Proclamations, Decrees, Edicts, Directives, and Charters at will, and they have full legislative effect upon the empire. The Empress appoints and dismisses all government ministers, commissioners, justices, and high-ranking officials at will. The Empress wields supreme control of the government administration and the Imperial Chancellory. The Empress is Supreme Commander of the Armed Forces. She plans or revises military strategy, controls military operations, and issues, modifies, or repeals their regulations or army orders at will. The Empress can appoint, dismiss, or receive ambassadors, consuls, or diplomatic representatives at will, sign, modify, and ratify treaties, declare war and make peace, and guideline the foreign policy. The Empress wields absolute control over economic and domestic affairs and is above the law, with no restrictions on her power. She is respected and revered by the population.

The Chancellor

The Imperial Chancellor is the Empress's chief minister and leading executor. He also sometimes serves as the Empress's adviser, but that is very rare. The Chancellor manages the government day-to-day, executes the Empress's orders, and initiates government policies. The Chancellor is responsible and accountable to the Empress and has to compile a report of government and military affairs. The Chancellor supervises the meetings of the Imperial Council, although with the Empress's direction. The Chancellor advises the Empress in some situations and oversees the Imperial Chancellory. The Chancellor receives financial compensation, a estate, and a noble rank (usually Count or Duke), and can be dismissed by the Empress at any time. The current Chancellor is Lord Edward Halifax, Viscount of Halifaxsburg and Prince of Brussia. He has served in government for forty-four years.

The Imperial Council of Ministers

The Imperial Council of Ministers is the official Council of Ministers of the Government of the Royal Calathonian Empire. The Council's members, who are called ministers, are appointed and dismissed by the Empress at will. Each minister has two personal assistants, who are appointed and dismissed by the Chancellor with the Empress's approval. The Council also has a Royal Councilor, the personal assistant of the Empress and a Imperial Lord Commissioner, in charge of the Imperial Seal. The Imperial Council is the primary administrative body, executing the orders of the Empress as a whole, setting the day-to-day policies of the Imperial Government, and supervising the Imperial Administration in the Empress's name. The Council is also the Empress's primary consultative body, and the Empress sometimes issues Imperial Decrees during Council sessions.

The Council consists of the following ministers and members. Each Minister is the primary executor and administrator for their certain area of affairs (this also includes the Chancellor and Empress):

Empress: Her Imperial Majesty Catherine II, Empress of Royal Calathonia, Protectoress of North Syvorji, and Grand Duchess in Kylarnatia

Chancellor: The Right Honorable Lord Edward Halifax, Viscount of Halifaxburg, Prince of Brussia, and 1st Lord of Nirenberg, as well 1st Lord of Garder

The Imperial Lord Commissioner-The Right Honorable Lord Edward Halifax, Viscount of Halifaxburg, Prince of Brussia, 1st Lord of Nirenberg. 1st Lord of Garder (as above)

The Imperial Royal Councilor-The Right Honorable Lord Alex Zane, Count of Parchsteinsburg, Duke of Koingsberg, Prince of Brussia, 2nd Lord of the Garder

The Imperial Minister of the Chancellory-The Right Honorable Lord Edward Halifax, Viscount of Halifaxburg, Prince of Brussia, 1st Lord of Nirenberg, 1st Lord of Garder (also Chancellor and Commissioner)

The Imperial Minister of Foreign Affairs-The Right Honorable Lord Alexander Sherementev, Duke of Halensberg, Baron of Shalichmentein in Newer Calathonia, 3rd Lord of Garder

The Imperial Minister of Defense-The Right Honorable Lord Carlos Josef, Duke of Munnich, Lord of Blacksberg, Baron of Jarlsberg in Newer Calathonia, 4th Lord of Garder

The Imperial Minister of Justice and Administration-The Right Honorable Lord Alex Zane, Count of Parchsteinsburg, Duke of Koingsberg, Prince of Brussia, 2nd Lord of the Garder

The Imperial Minister of Education-The Right Honorable Lady Janice Richensberg, Lady of Dresden, Countess of Saxony-on Ghir, Princess of Saxony, 5th Lady of the Garder

The Imperial Minister of Finance-The Right Honorable Lord Nicholas Potemkin, Lord of Schewrin, Baron of Portsland in Grand Calathonia, Prince of Willamsberg, 6th Lord of the Garder

The Imperial Minister of Health and Welfare-The Right Honorable Lady Sarah Zemenvestov, Baroness of Veche, Duchess of Sophialandian City, 7th Lady of the Garder

The Imperial Minister of Transportation and Urban Development-The Right Honorable Lord Brusselstein, Viscount of Samplsberg, Duke of Sttein, 8th Lord of the Garder

The Imperial Minister of Labor and Commerce-The Right Honorable Lord Jasper Daniels, Lord of Nesutrelitz, Viscount of Templeton, 9th Lord of the Garder

The Imperial Minister of Communications-The Right Honorable Lord Hallensbern, Duke of Strasbourg, Lord of Mein-on the Rhine, 10th Lord of the Garder

The Imperial Chancellory

The Imperial Chancellory, also simply known as the Chancellory, is the main administrative and royal organization of the government of the Royal Calathonian Empire. The Chancellory is the Empress's Executive Office, and most government affairs are conducted here. The Chancellory also consists of the Imperial Royal Court, which is the Empress's ceremonial and formal Court. The Chancellory is administered by the Imperial Minister of the Chancellory, who also serves as the Chancellor. The Chancellory consists of the following sections:

* Imperial Royal Court
* Ministry of the Imperial Chancellory
* Chancellory for the Imperial Council of Ministers
* Imperial Commission of Industrial Supervision
* Imperial Commission of Government Petitions and Reports
* Imperial Treasury
* Imperial Archaeological Commission
* Imperial Commission of State Communications
* Imperial Orchestra
* Imperial Secret Police
* Imperial Intelligence Agency
* Imperial Court Clergy
* Imperial Judiciary
* Imperial Commission of State Awards and Decorations

The Judicial System of Royal Calathonia

The Imperial Judiciary is the official law and order system of the Royal Calathonian Empire. The Judiciary is divided into the primary court, the Imperial Supreme Court, and the courts of the local provinces.

The Imperial Supreme Court consists of twelve Imperial Justices and one Lord Justice, each one appointed and dismissed by the Empress at will. The Imperial Court handles disputes between the provinces of the Empire, disputes between Royal Calathonia and other countries, and criminal/civil cases that reach the Court. The Court's procedure is set out by the Lord Justice with the Empress's approval and modification. The Empress may also modify or supersede any Court decisions at will.

The courts of the provinces of the Empire are labeled Imperial Constituent Courts. The Courts handle local cases and disputes, and also major disputes within their jurisdiction. Each of the Constituent Courts consist of twelve local justices, appointed and dismissed by the governor of the province they cover at will. The Courts' decisions can be overruled by either the Empress or the Supreme Court at any time.

The Royal Calathonian Empire also has a series of law codes or compilations that help to frame the operations or rules of the judicial system. They also clarify legal punishments and solutions for certain legal problems. The primary law code of Royal Calathonia is the Imperial Judicial Compilation Code, which compiles and organizes all the laws, decrees, and proclamations of the empire. There is also the Criminal Code, the Civil Code, the Prison Code, and the Military Discipline Code. All of these were issued by the Empress as part of her reforms.

Provinces of the Empire

The Royal Calathonian Empire is divided into nine provinces. Each province of the Empire is governed by a Imperial Governor, appointed and dismissed by the Empress at will. The Governor supervises the local administration, issues all executive decrees in the province, and commands the local militias. He is supported by a Executive Council, appointed and dismissed by him at will. The Council runs the provincial administration day-to-day, executes the Governor's orders, and issues legislative laws for the province. These of course can be superseded by the Empress at will. The provinces are all under strict control of the Imperial Government.

List of Provinces of the Empire:

*The Imperial Province of European Calathonia
*The Imperial Province of Calathonian Siberia
*The Imperial Province of Turkemania
*The Imperial Province of Florisland
*The Imperial Province of Baltia
*The Imperial Province of Posoland
*The Imperial Province of Belarsissa
*The Imperial Province of Usorania
*The Imperial Province of Transcaucasia
Last edited by Royal Calathonia on Sat Feb 19, 2011 12:43 pm, edited 13 times in total.

Royal Calathonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

The Imperial Armed Forces

Postby Royal Calathonia » Sat Jan 08, 2011 3:25 pm

The Imperial Armed Forces

The Imperial Armed Forces are the military forces of the Royal Calathonian Empire. The armed forces are divided into three branches: the Imperial Army, the Imperial Navy, and the Imperial Air Force. The following post shall include descriptions on each branch, as well on military command, laws and codes, conscription, size, and deployment.

The Imperial Army

The Imperial Army is the oldest of all the branches of the military. The Royal Calathonian Army was reorganized into the present Imperial Army in October 1721. The Army is divided into around 50 regiments, of which each regiment is further subdivided into 10 divisions. Each division is subdivided into two battalions, which in turn are subdivided each into twenty patrol groups. Army Headquarters, in Imperial City, Royal Calathonia, is the primary Army command center. The Army is well-organized, modernized, and equipped. It has a total of 800,000 active duty soldiers and around 1.5 million reserve. Currently, around 440,000 soldiers are stationed in Royal Calathonia itself. 100,000 are stationed in Newer Calathonia, 100,000 in East Germanialand, 60,000 in Grand Calathonia, 50,000 in Ariansland, and 50,000 in Royal Calathonian India. The reserves are primarily stationed in Royal Calathonia, with some serving as police or back-up patrol groups. The Army's operations are governed by the Military Organization and Discipline Codes. Conscription is around 5% a year.

The Imperial Navy

The Imperial Navy is the second branch of the military. The Royal Navy of Calathonia became the present Imperial Navy in December 1721. The Navy is divided into 15 Naval Fleets, each fleet of which consists around 2 carriers, 100 destroyers, 50 naval cruisers, and 100 submarines. Each Fleet in turn is divided into two patrol groups. Naval Command, located in Imperial City, is the primary command center for the Navy. There is around 5 Chief Admirals, 15 Vice Admirals, 18 Rear Admirals, and 20 Commodores. Currently, fleets 1-6 are stationed in naval bases at Kiel and Sophialandian City in northern Royal Calathonia, fleets 7-10 are on patrol duty in the Atlantic, and fleets 10-15 are stationed in the various colonies. The Navy's operations are governed by the Naval sections of the Organization and Discipline Codes.

The Imperial Air Force

The Imperial Air Force is the third and last branch of the Imperial Military. It was established in September 1914, in the second month of World War I. The Air Force is divided into 30 squadrons, which each consist of around 500 aircraft. The Army and Navy both also have their own unique squadrons of aircraft. The Air Force has three types of craft: fighters, bombers, and observation craft. There is 15 High Commanders and 30 Squadron Leaders. Around 20 squadrons are stationed in Royal Calathonia, at the air bases in Sophialandburg and Koingsberg. 5 squadrons are stationed in the colonies, and a further 5 conduct duties over sea and with the navy. Air Force Command, in Imperial City, is the primary command center for the Air Force. The Air Force's operations are governed by the Air Force sections of the Military Organization and Discipline codes.
Last edited by Royal Calathonia on Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 2 times in total.

Royal Calathonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Royal Calathonia » Sat Jan 08, 2011 4:42 pm

Foreign Relations

The Royal Calathonian Empire has a presence on the world stage, conducting relations with numerous other nations. Royal Calathonia has embassies in Kylarnatia, Siberian Peoples, Marquesan, Osthia, Yohannes, and several other nations. It maintains diplomatic relations with all of the above, as well as Grasmere, Saxony Silvia, Italian Mafias, and several others. However, with many of these nations Royal Calathonia has had strained relations. Royal Calathonia's primary allies are Kylarnatia and Siberian Peoples, whom the Empire has alliance treaties with both. The foreign affairs policy is set by the Empress and executed by the Minister of Foreign Affairs.

Royal Calathonia is a member of numerous alliances, including the Sovereign Empires Coalition, the League of Anti-Terrorism, the Commonwealth of Crowns, and the SNOM Alliance. Currently, the Imperial Government is debating on the possibility of joining the Colonial Powers Association. The League of Anti-Terrorism was established by the Empire itself. Royal Calathonia currently remains outside of the World Assembly.

Royal Calathonia's most recent treaties are:

*The Treaty of the Marzeron House (which regulates relations with Osthia and Grasmere)
*The Treaty of Traflagarsburg (which ended the war against Syvorji)
*The Pact of Krytopia (which established a alliance with Kylarnatia)
*The Treaty of Alliance (which established a alliance with Siberian Peoples)
Last edited by Royal Calathonia on Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:06 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Royal Calathonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Geography

Postby Royal Calathonia » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:11 pm

Geography

Royal Calathonia is one of the largest countries in Commonwealth Europe and Asia, and possibly one of the largest in the NS world, with a total land area of 22 million kilometers. The Empire contains some 56 Commonwealth Heritage Sites, 49 Biosphere Zones, 150 national parks, and 90 nature reserves. The Royal Calathonian Empire has a vast natural resource base, including large deposits of timber, petroleum, natural gas, coal, ores, minerals, and other major natural resources.

Territory and Boundaries

Link to Map of Royal Calathonia: http://img843.imageshack.us/img843/2579 ... thonia.gif

The Royal Calathonian Empire shares internationally-recognized borders with the Kingdom of Kioytland, the Republic of Commonwealth Germany, the Empire of Cairuland, and the Tsardom of Romania to the west, the Republic of Turkey, Kylarnatian Mesopotamia, and the Sultanates of Persia and Afghanistan to the south, and in the eastern south and southwest, the Khanate of Mongolia and the Chinese Empire. The Empire also has maritime boundaries with Commonwealth Japan.

The Royal Calathonian Empire administers the Chinese Manchurian Railroad Zone, and also controls possessions on the Kwauntong peninsula, including the port city of Arthur. A lease for these territories was signed with China in 1898, and was indefinitely extended in 1948. The Empire also controls a colonial empire, with territories in Africa, Indira, and the Pacific.

Landscape and Climate

The Royal Calathonian Empire has a variety of climates and landscapes. These range from the Turkmenstian Deserts in the far south, to the Calathonian Plain in the northern and north-eastern regions of the Empire, and from the vast plains and forests in the west, to the desolate plateaus and areas in the east. Weather also varies, depending on location. In the far north, the weather is sub-arctic and continental: in the south, it is almost desert-like, and in the center, west, and southwest, it is temperate or sub-tropical. Winter is on average, -18 to 35 Degrees, while summer is 74 degrees, and spring, 65 degrees. The Empire covers more then fifteen time zones, thus meaning a great diversity of the timing of communications and media.

Royal Calathonia has several major rivers, including the Mendelian, Fredericklandian, Ellison, Rhinalandia, Vistling, and Danube. As a result, the Empire has a great canal system, with some major canals including the Frederick William, the Kiel, and the Carolinian. Royal Calathonia's major lakes are, in the west, Lake Wurmenian and Lake Basil, and in the east, Lake Constance.

Flora and fauna

The Empire has several hundred major animal and plant species, many of which reside in the southern and western regions of the Empire. The Imperial Government has laid a series of regulations protecting most natural habitats. These include the Imperial Species Book, which lists those species protected by Imperial law. Industry has lobbied for the relaxation or even repeal of these environmental regulations.
Last edited by Royal Calathonia on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:36 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Royal Calathonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Economy

Postby Royal Calathonia » Sun Jan 09, 2011 2:31 pm

Economy

Agriculture

Although industry and commerce dominate the Imperial economy, agriculture still generates about 30% of the GDP of the Royal Calathonian Empire. Around 91% of the arable land within the Empire is productive. The largest farms, which are called estates, are located in European Calathonia, Usorania, and Turkemania. The smallest farms are generally located in Baltia, Florisland, and Transcaucasia.

A large amount of wheat crops are cultivated all across the Empire. In the South and West wheat is predominant, while in the north and east, rye, oats, and barley are primarily raised. In some provinces of the Empire, other crops such as buckwheat, millet, rice-wheat, and maize are also raised. The farms of the Empire practice a modernized and extensively modified version of the Commonwealth British and Danish crop rotation systems. Peas, beans, grasses, potatoes, and turnips are grown on a set basis.

Today, the Empire produces around 67,000,000 tons of wheat, 84,000,000 tons of rye and oats, and 40,000,000 tons of barley. This is enough to feed the entire population, as well export some to other countries. Potatoes are widely used as ingredients in beer and other alcohols. The Empire also grows a sugar beet, which covers 40% of the sugar consumed by the population. Flax and hemp are cultivated in the southern regions of the Empire.

Numerous states in the Empire, including European Calathonia, Usorania, and Baltia, are renowned for their quality production of vegetables and garden seeds. Posoland is known for the production of fruit. European Calathonia and Turkemania both produce vast amounts of cider and milk. Wine production is conducted in Posoland and western Belarsissa.

The Royal Calathonian states of European Calathonia, Usorania, and Turkemania practically dominate the Empire in terms of cattle rearing. Florisland, Posoland, and Belarsissa also have cattle of excellent quality. Large cattle-rearing centers not only produce the livestock of the Empire itself, it also exports large quantity of such to Siberian Peoples, Kylarnatia, and Commonwealth Britain. Horses, sheep, pigs, hogs, and goats are also reared and exported in large numbers. Beef, pork, and red meat are the most commonly produced types of meat.

Fisheries

The Royal Calathonian Empire has complete or near-complete access to the Baltic, Black, and Caspian Seas, as well the White and Arctic Seas. As a result, the Empire has a thriving fishing industry. Fishing within all seas is extremely active, due to support by the government and the existence of the Imperial Fishing Promotion League, a non-government organization dedicated to the promotion of the fishing industry. Fisheries exist at the cities of Sophialandburg and Koingsberg. The main fishery products captured by the immense amount of Royal Calathonian fishers, include cod, haddock, herrings, lobsters, and good quality oysters. All total, the native fisheries produce 65 % of the Empire's total fishing supply.

Mining

The Royal Calathonian Empire is very rich in the amount of minerals it bears. The Empire rivals numerous other nations in these terms. The industrial development of the country, starting in the 1820s, was rejuvenated partly by the Empire's mineral wealth.

Royal Calathonia is one of the greatest producers of silver in Commonwealth Europe. The quantity of silver produced is annually increasing. The sliver mines are primarily located in the western and south-western regions of the Empire. Mines along the Rhinalandia and Vistling are also operated.

Lead is produced in large quantities in some regions of the Empire, including European Calathonia, Transcaucasia, and Turkemania. Most of the lead produced is exported to other nations, including Kylarnatia, Siberian Peoples, and Marquesan, for use in pencils and other materials.

Copper is produced within the Posoland regions of the Empire, and also along the Fredericklandian River. Again, most of the copper produced is exported to other nations.

Around 85% of the zinc produced in Commonwealth Europe is in the Royal Calathonian Empire. The Empire's main zinc mines are near the town of Kongslandia, in the historical lands of original Brussia. Zinc is also produced in Silesia, within the eastern part of the Empire.

The mining of coal, iron, and uranium is also major in the Empire, mainly centered in Silesia, Bareblania, Saxonland, and Alsaca-Lorianna. The Empire has one of the highest rates of exports of all of these minerals within certain regions of the Commonwealth. The Empire's also has vast oil and natural gas reserves, primarily located in Turkemania and Transcaucasia, as well southern European Calathonia.

Manufacturing

Since the late 1820s, the Royal Calathonian Empire has made great strides in terms of industrial strength, transforming from a largely agricultural nation to a industrial powerhouse. This extraordinary development of industrial energy encompassed all areas of manufactures. The manufacture of certain things can be distributed as follows: European Calathonia, Posoland, and Turkemania are the primary producers of manufactured iron products. European Calathonia also dominates the production of steel products. Baltia is dominant in the production of textiles, while European Calathonia and Usorania are dominant in the production of linen. Cotton goods are primarily produced in European Calathonia, Usorania, Transcaucasia, and Turkemania. Woolen is produced in Calathonian Siberia. Glass and porcelain are primarily produced in European Calathonia and Florisland; lace in Usorania; tobacco in Usorania and Belarsissa; chemicals in European Calathonia and Turkemania; toy products in Baltia and Usorania; gold and silver jewelry in European Calathonia and Posoland; and beer in Posoland and Usorania. Automobile manufacturing is perhaps the largest single industry, mainly centered in European Calathonia and western Calathonian Siberia.

The iron industry has provided great wealth to the Royal Calathonian Empire, which exports much of what it produces. The largest receivers of Royal Calathonian iron are the nations of Commonwealth France, Kylarnatia, and Marquesan.

Royal Calathonia also exports large amounts of hardware, mainly produced in Belarsissa and in Posoland. The Empire is one of the largest regional producers of electronics, industrial and agricultural machinery, and automobile engines. Royal Calathonia also has a major shipbuilding industry, and also produces railroad equipment.

Royal Calathonia is a major producer of industrial flax, hemp, and wool. Much of this production is centered in European Calathonia, Transcaucasia, Turkemania, and Calathonian Siberia. The production of linen is centered in Posoland and western Belarsissa. Silk is mainly imported from other nations, including Osthia and Jimanistan.

The manufacture of paper is universal across the Empire. There is over 8,220 mills in operation, as of 2008, and the exports in paper equal to around $24 billion as of 2009. Primary centers of paper manufacturing include Posoland, Belarsissa, Usorania, and European Calathonia. Wall-paper is primarily produced in Royal Calathonian City and Augsgrad, while printing paper is produced in the western regions of the Empire.

The primary center of the leather industry is Posoland. The cities of Kylarslaw and Postodat produce leather of excellent quality. In European Calathonia leather factories are in operation primarily in the western regions. Boot and shoe manufactures are carried out throughout the empire, although the best-quality products are produced in Posoland and Baltia. Gloves are primarily produced in Posoland. Posoland and Belarsissa are both renowned for the production of purses and womens' leather products. Florisland, Baltia, and Posoland are renowned for the production of perfumes, pencils, and furniture.

Beer is produced throughout the Empire, although Posoland is the primary producer. The beer produced in the Posolandian breweries are also the best-quality in the Empire. The city of Kylarslaw is widely renowned for the varieties of beer it produces and consumes. Beer is also produced in great quality in Belarsissa and Usorania.

Commerce

The rapid development of Royal Calathonian commerce and trade can be originated from the establishment of the Royal Calathonian Economic Union in 1761, by the Empress Anne I. This union greatly encouraged Royal Calathonian trade with the rest of Commonwealth Europe.

In 1879, the Imperial Foreign Trade Tariffs Law was introduced, which placed severe tariffs on Royal Calathonian trade with other nations and placed certain commerical limitations, but these restrictions were removed in 1895. Royal Calathonia has signed commerical treaties with Marzeron, Kylarnatia, Siberian Peoples, Osthia, and Grasmere, although trade with Grasmere is regulated on a strict necessity basis. Transit duties were abolished in 1876 and export duties in 1881. Despite this, an official tax is deducted from all commerical packages.

The current GDP of the Royal Calathonian Empire is at about $16 trillion Imperial Dataries, a considerable amount. The Empire has a trade surplus of $240 billion Dataries. Most products exported by the Empire are received by the nations of Osthia, Grasmere, Marzeron, Kylarnatia, Siberian Peoples, Marquesan, Commonwealth Britain, and the Austrian Domains. Most products imported by the Empire are from the nations of Osthia, Grasmere, Kylarnatia, Siberian Peoples, Commonwealth Britain, and Commonwealth United States.

Transportation

The Royal Calathonian Empire has a well-developed transportation system, which covers the entirety of the nation. The Empire has around 3,675,603 miles of highways and major roads, 1,000,000 miles of railroads, seven major canals, and several minor canals. The government has provided extensive support to developing and supporting the transportation network. A Imperial Transportation Law lays out detailed guidelines on the maintenance and control of the transportation system.

European Calathonia, Usorania, and Posoland a bare the largest amount of railroads and roads in the Empire, since being the most industrially-developed. Railroads also cover vast portions of Turkemania and parts of southern and south-eastern Calathonian Siberia. Northern Calathonian Siberia and Florisland have the least amount of transportation links. The government has worked on resolving this problem.

Recently, there have been some problems concerning traffic congestion on the highways within the Empire. As a result, the Imperial Government has issued a proclamation. The proclamation aims to provide greater support for the up-keep of roads, to reduce the number of congestion problems, and to overhaul the transportation network. The proclamation has yet to come into full effect.
Last edited by Royal Calathonia on Sat Feb 12, 2011 9:41 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Royal Calathonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Demographics

Postby Royal Calathonia » Sun Jan 09, 2011 5:44 pm

The Royal Calathonian Empire is a culturally diverse country, with more then 60 ethnic groups within it's boundaries. The total population is 740 million, according to the 2010 Imperial Census. It is the most populous nation in Commonwealth Europe. There are 25 cities with more then one million people each in the Royal Calathonian Empire, as of 2007. The country's largest city and capital is Imperial City, with a population of eighteen million inhabitants. Other major cities include Slavburg (14 million inhabitants), Augsgrad (9 million inhabitants), Kylarsaw (5 million inhabitants), Sophialandburg (2 million inhabitants), Odessa (1 million inhabitants), and Hermionestadt (990,000 inhabitants.

Ethnic groups

As of the 2010 Census, the largest ethnic group in the Royal Calathonian Empire is of course the ethnic Royal Calathonians, who make up roughly 51% of the population. They are followed by Usoranians, Polandians, and Turkemanians. Baltians, Florislandians, and Belarsissans also make up large groups.

Some nationality groups, such as the Usoranians and Belarsissans, became part of the empire willingly, while others, including the Polandians and Florislandians, did not. The Royal Calathonians, Usoranians, and Belarsissans are commonly referred to as a ruling group, since they dominate the politics, government, and culture of the Empire. However, all the groups of the empire are relatively peaceful with eachother.

Languages

The most widely-used languages in the Royal Calathonian Empire are Royal Calathonian, English, Usoranian, Belarsissan, Turkemanian, and Posolandian. All of these languages have been officially recognized by both the Imperial government and the governments of the local provinces. The Empire has encouraged the development and use of these languages, with their existence protected by a Imperial Edict issued in 1938. All total, there is more then 45 languages within the Empire.

Despite it's wide dispersal, the Royal Calathonian language is the most homogeneous language in the Royal Calathonian Empire. Royal Calathonian is the most geographically spread language in Commonwealth Eurasia and the most commonly spoken Calathonian-group language. Other languages in that group include Usoranian, Belarsissan, Posolandian, and Baltian.

Religion

Christianity, Judaism, Islam, and Buddhism are the primary religions in Royal Calathonia. They were granted a official protection status by a Imperial Decree in the 1860s and granted "special heritage status" in the late 1990s. Roman Catholicism is the dominant single religion in Royal Calathonia. More then 95% of all Catholic churches are registered under the Royal Calathonian Catholic Church, a branch of the world-wide Catholic Church. However, many Catholic believers do not attend church on a regular basis. They are very faithful, despite that. Other Christian denominations such as Protestantism, Orthodoxy, and etc. also exist. About 500 million Royal Calathonians consider themselves Roman Catholic Christians. The remaining 240 million are either other denomination Christians, Muslims, Jews, or Buddhists.

Health

The Royal Calathonian Empire has free, universal health care, which is distributed by the Imperial Health Service, managed by the Imperial Ministry of Health and Welfare. The Service and Ministry were both established by the Universal Health Decree of 1946. There is even a Imperial proclamation in existence, issued in 1953, that guarantees health for all Imperial subjects. Royal Calathonia has a great amount of physicians, hospitals, and health care staff, organized efficiently and accordingly. As of 2009, the average life expectancy in the Empire is 82.9 years (83.4 years for women and 80.1 years for men).

Heart diseases account for at least 5% of all deaths as of 2009, with about 2% involving people still of working age. Royal Calathonia has one of Commonwealth Europe's lowest rates of alcohol death, which is around 1.5% of all deaths. At least 800,000 Royal Calathonians suffer from arthritis and other bone diseases. Death rates from homicide, suicide, and cancer are 2%, 4%, and 6% respectively, among the lowest in the regional area. Around 8% of women and 15% of men smoke, but the death rate because of smoking is less then 1.4%.

HIV/AIDS has infected a relatively small amount of people in the Royal Calathonian Empire. According to official statistics, at least 54,000 people are infected, while foreign sources put the number at 74,000. The government has increased the funding of HIV/AIDS preventive measures by more then half, with the health budget of 2009 double that of 2008.

The government has initiated a series of programs intended to stabilize the Imperial population at around it's current number. Government funding has provided for the establishment of birth control centers. Sexual education has been introduced into the health studies of middle and high school. The Royal Calathonian government has also provided a abortion program.

Education

The Royal Calathonian Empire has a free education system guaranteed by the Imperial Government and established by the Imperial Education Act of 1948. This Act was amended in 1964, 1978, and 1998. The literacy rate is 99%. Entry into college-level education is considered to be a great honor, and as a result is highly competitive. The Royal Calathonian educational system places a great emphasis on history, science, and mathematics, thus making these areas of a high quality.

Children are required to attend school for at least 13 years, from the ages of five through eighteen. This is effectively from kindergarten to the end of high school. A diploma is required for every person to have. However, entry into college is optional. The Royal Calathonian educational system is divided into preschool, elementary school, middle school, high school, and university level. Education in most of these levels is free. Free textbooks, lunches, and other materials are provided. Around 13% of the Imperial budget is devoted to education.

The Imperial Government allocates funding to pay tuition fees within an established quota, or number of students for each state institution. This is considered crucial because it provides access to college-level education to all skilled students, as opposed to only those who can afford it. In addition, students are provided a small amount of money for educational purposes and given free housing. Those private universities not owned by the Government also operate financial assistance programs.

Major universities and institutes in the Royal Calathonian Empire include the University of Royal Calathonia, the University of Imperial City, the University of Kylaslaw, the University of Slavburg, the University of Augsgrad, the Imperial Academy of Arts and Sciences, the Imperial Aviation School, the Imperial Medical Academy, the College of Political Studies, and numerous others.
Last edited by Royal Calathonia on Sat Feb 19, 2011 2:34 pm, edited 4 times in total.

Royal Calathonia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Colonies

Postby Royal Calathonia » Sun Feb 20, 2011 11:02 am

Colonies

The Royal Calathonian Empire controls a set of colonies outside of it's own boundaries. These colonies include East Germanialand in northern Commonwealth Europe, Newer Calathonia and Grand Calathonia in Africa, Royal Calathonian Indira and Ariansland in Asia, and Fredericksland in the Pacific. All of these colonies except Fredericksland are self-reliant. They each have well developed transportation, communications, and industrial systems. Major colonial ports include Jarlsberg in Newer Calathonia, Portsland in Grand Calathonia, and Caluclis in Royal Calathonian Indira.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information