NATION

PASSWORD

the oath of citizanship

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Spartinth
Diplomat

Founded: Mar 30, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Spartinth » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:32 pm

I, (name), swear to uphold the laws set forth by King/Queen (current monarchs name). I shall not call my self a citizen of any were else nor shall I call any other land my homeland. I am a Spartinthian and will stay a Spartinthian.
National Information
- King Charles Bone I
- Crown Prince Charles Bone II
Imperial High Commissioner of the Imperial Commonwealth
Member of the Humanitarian Relief Organization
newmassachusetts is our colony

TurtleShroom
Negotiator

Founded: Oct 13, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby TurtleShroom » Thu Jul 01, 2010 12:35 pm

The TurtleShroom naturalization process is lengthily described here.

The oath, meanwhile is as follows. It is done before twelve witnesses (professionals paid to stand at the customs office and sign their names) and a judge (but not necessarily one that presides over an actual court bench).

This is the traditional "religious oath". In this, the oath taker places his or her hand (or other appendage) on a Bible* and recites as follows.
With the Lord Jesus Christ of Nazareth** as my witness and these witnesses also as my witness, I, {full name and all titles}, hereby solemnly swear to obey and uphold the laws laid down in TurtleShroom to the best of my abilities. I vow to do what is right and not to pursue criminal activities in TurtleShroom, and to report those who do.

I promise to never partake in drugs- particularly the unholy alcohol -nor to engage in any drug transport, consumption, possession, creation, or any other therein. I therefore vow to respect and obey Prohibition as outlined in this nation's Constitution. I promise to be as productive as I can possibly be and I promise to be a sober and crime-free {gender} in this country.

In taking this oath, I hereby become a citizen of TurtleShroom. So help me God!**

* = Other religions may opt to swear on their holy book instead of a Bible.
** = The phrase "Jesus Christ of Nazareth" may be substituted by the god or gods of another faith. This also applies to the word "God" at the end.

Here is the secular oath. The religious oath is free, the secular one costs one hundred Skillets ($15 USD). In the secular oath, the oath taker swears on a copy of the TurtleShroom Constitution and a TurtleShroom flag.
Standing before these witnesses, with them being my witnesses, I, [full name and all titles], hereby promise to obey and uphold the laws laid down in TurtleShroom to the best of my abilities. I promise to not pursue criminal activities in TurtleShroom, and to report those who do.

I acknowledge and respect the mandates outlined in TurtleShroom's Constitutional Prohibition- including the ban on alcohol -and therefore, I will never partake in any drug transport, consumption, scheme, smuggling, possession, creation, or any other method involving therein, whatsoever. I promise to be a sober and crime free {gender} in this country.

In taking this oath, I hereby become a citizen of TurtleShroom. So be it!

After this, the new citizen gets a handshake from a judge and they exit as the TurtleShroom Anthem plays, with the full rights of citizenship.

There's also the "Anti-Oath", where one can renounce their citizenship. This is done before two witnesses, an actually presiding judge, and a public notary. The oath taker places his or her appendage on an inverted TurtleShroom flag and recites:

I, the foolish {full name and titles}, hereby relinquish my TurtleShroomer citizenship and all the rights, privileges, powers, and abilities of such. In this relinquishment, I still promise to obey the laws and prohibition of TurtleShroom, unless I choose to leave the country.

I am no longer a TurtleShroomer! So be it!
THE FUTURE
IS IN THE
PAST!!

Jesus Loves You and Died for You!!
●▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬ש✞ש▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬▬●
NationStates' only surviving States' Rights Democrat/Dixiecrat (minus the rascism)!

Colmark
Diplomat

Founded: May 20, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Colmark » Mon Jul 05, 2010 1:08 pm

I.... solemly swear to bear true allegiance to the Confederacy of Colmark, to renounce all previous ties to foreign powers, to uphold the law, the constitution, truth and justice, and to assist in the defence of the Confederacy when required by the President.
So help me God
There's a breathless hush in the Close to-night
Ten to make and the match to win
A bumping pitch and a blinding light,
An hour to play, and the last man in.
And it's not for the sake of a ribboned coat.
Or the selfish hope of a season's fame,
But his captain's hand on his shoulder smote
"Play up! Play up! And play the game!"

Meryuma
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 16, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Meryuma » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:07 am

"I, [name], do solemnly swear by the Constitution of the Commonwealth of Meryuma to abide fully the law, so long as it is just, and to support the nation, so long as it is free, for as long as I am welcome upon its shores as a citizen."

However, it's more a formality then anything.
The general consensus is that it's woefully antiquated, but the ideals are respectable.
Last edited by Meryuma on Sat Aug 28, 2010 10:00 pm, edited 1 time in total.
ᛋᛃᚢ - Social Justice Úlfheðinn
Potarius wrote:
Neo Arcad wrote:Gravity is a natural phenomenon by which physical bodies attract with a force proportional to their mass.

In layman's terms, orgy time.

Niur wrote: my soul has no soul.

Saint Clair Island wrote:The English language sucks. From now on, I will refer to the second definition of sexual as "fucktacular."

Trotskylvania wrote:Alternatively, we could go on an epic quest to Plato's Cave to find the legendary artifact, Ockham's Razor.

Norstal wrote:Gunpowder Plot: America.

Meryuma: "Well, I just hope these hyperboles don't...

*puts on sunglasses*

blow out of proportions."

YEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH

...so here's your future

Ultrabruk
Lobbyist

Founded: Aug 14, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Ultrabruk » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:15 am

There is only "Oath of loyalty to the Divine Tyrant." It includes ritual whipping and it lasts for 4 hours. It is given at the age of 13.

Phing Phong
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 04, 2008
Ex-Nation

Postby Phing Phong » Sat Aug 14, 2010 11:27 am

I, (name), hereby swear upon the Constitution and Laws of the City-State of Phing Phong, that I will abide by all laws in the nation, without exception, and will duly serve and fulfil my duty as a citizen of Phing Phong. I duly rescind all rights to citizenship of all other countries, excepting those listed as Dual Nations by Civil Charter #139, and hereby accept in their place my citizenship in the City-State of Phing Phong. Nobody in the City has the right to deprive me of my rights affirmed by Constitution and Law, and I duly promise to not deprive any other of these same rights.

Having said this, the prospective citizen signs a copy of the Constitution and the National Anthem is played. Once the Constitution has been signed citizenship is officially conferred. The section in italics was added after Phing Phong established embassies in nations it wishes to have closer ties with.
Incompetent Buddhist, liberal centrist and militant queer

Embassy Program | NSwiki Pages | Factbook | Map | National Anthem | Constitution | Phing Phong Fine Rices | Culture Test
Member of the Stonewall Alliance, open to all LGBT-friendly nations!

Previous

Return to Factbooks and National Information