NATION

PASSWORD

NS Military Realism Consultancy Thread Mk X Purps Safe Space

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Triplebaconation
Senator

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Mon Dec 05, 2016 7:32 pm

Laxaria and Sakria wrote:Do you think making the media portray the military as weak in preparation of a war with another sovereign nation would be counterproductive?

It should simultaneously be portrayed as weak and invincible.

Don't you watch the news?
Proverbs 23:9.

Things are a bit larger than you appear to think, my friend.

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502
Ambassador

Founded: Dec 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 » Mon Dec 05, 2016 8:06 pm

What has the armored combat looked like in the Syrian Civil War? I presume it has been brutal and nasty because of the combination of old tanks and plenty of powerful antitank munitions.
militant radical centrist in the sheets, neoclassical realist in the streets.
Saving this here so I can peruse it at my leisure.
In IC the Federated Kingdom of Prussia, 1950s-2000s timeline. Prussia backs a third-world Balkans puppet state called Sal Kataria.

Laxaria and Sakria
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Laxaria and Sakria » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:28 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Laxaria and Sakria wrote:Do you think making the media portray the military as weak in preparation of a war with another sovereign nation would be counterproductive?

I was thinking that the enemy would go full cocky and think that we're weak, only to realize that we're actually stronk, then regret it and lose a lot of their combat assets in the process.

No. Any reasonably competent enemy will have conducted their own internal evaluation of your military strength using their own intelligence gathering means. They're not going to sit around and watch your equivalent of CNN for news, especially if their own intelligence department is telling them totally different things.

It would just cause morale problems in your own military (whose soldiers are more likely to be watching their domestic news networks) and lack of support from the civilian population, who have no reason to have any faith in a weak institution.

Is this good as a war doctrine: using network-centric warfare and a combination of guerrilla and conventional warfare to efficiently wage combined arms warfare in order to maximize short-term and long-term enemy casualties and ground gained. This is not restrained to the battlefield; this would also mean socio-economic and political sabotage and a strong foreign intelligence network. The casualty on the enemy should not be restrained to number of men lost or war machines destroyed, it should also affect the enemy in the long run such that their country holistically becomes a hellhole for the next, say, 50 years.

It's basically meaningless. It's full of a bunch of random buzzwords that have basically no meaning and do not distinguish it at all from the generic means and goals available to any modern military. It's not really a doctrine, either.

It's also problematic because it exists in a vacuum. Military doctrines arise in response to strategic conditions and needs. They don't pop out of nowhere, they are shaped and formed by things such as your nation's strategic political goals, culture, economic and industrial means, geography, and a host of other considerations. This "doctrine" basically just says "we're going to smash the enemy so they're not a problem for fifty years," but gives no reason why that would be desirable or necessary. What political goal makes destroying an enemy nation so important? What makes it desirable? Furthermore, what means are available to your nation to carry it out? Answering all of those questions is far more important than pushing up the buzzword count.

Well we're basically fighting two guerrilla forces: commies' and jihadists, so doctrine would most likely revolve in stemming of flow of recruits and equipment into the hands of the rebellion; simply put, hamper the enemy's warfighting capability before and while facing the enemy. Raise a siege in a rebel-held town/city and make it last as long as you can until fresh reinforcements can come and drive the rebels out for good. Spread propaganda that radically demonizes their twisted doctrine (this has caused controversy in my Muslim population). Attack training camps and minimize deaths of trainees while we're at it. Attack arms trade deals. These are just a handful, mind you.
THE UNITED COMMONWEALTH OF LAXARIA AND SAKRIA
"A Union Guided By The Grace Of God"
Union President: Katrina Aldeguer | Union Prime Minister: Joseph Nismal
Overview | Military (United Commonwealth Defense Forces) | Multilateral Relationships

Member of Greater Olympus - A realistic region with an original and detailed map, with a fun RP community. Come check us out.

Rich and Corporations
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 09, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Rich and Corporations » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:45 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:It would just cause morale problems in your own military (whose soldiers are more likely to be watching their domestic news networks) and lack of support from the civilian population, who have no reason to have any faith in a weak institution.

Swiss had secret cipher rotors in case of war.

The S-tank had secret anti-HEAT grating (not sure the point since ad-hoc armor is common in war).

The answer is complex.
Corporate Confederacy
DEFENSE ALERT LEVEL
PEACE WAR

Factbook [url=iiwiki.com/wiki/Corporate_Confederacy]Wiki Article[/url]
Neptonia

The Technocratic Syndicalists
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2015
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby The Technocratic Syndicalists » Mon Dec 05, 2016 9:56 pm

Laxaria and Sakria wrote:Well we're basically fighting two guerrilla forces: commies' and jihadists, so doctrine would most likely revolve in stemming of flow of recruits and equipment into the hands of the rebellion; simply put, hamper the enemy's warfighting capability before and while facing the enemy. Raise a siege in a rebel-held town/city and make it last as long as you can until fresh reinforcements can come and drive the rebels out for good. Spread propaganda that radically demonizes their twisted doctrine (this has caused controversy in my Muslim population). Attack training camps and minimize deaths of trainees while we're at it. Attack arms trade deals. These are just a handful, mind you.

ayy fam I hear you got a communist problem? My main man the BUFF can take care of that for you real quick.

SDI AG
Arcaenian Military Factbook
Task Force Atlas
International Freedom Coalition

OOC: Call me Techno for Short
IC: The Kingdom of Arcaenia

The Technocratic Syndicalists
Minister

Founded: May 27, 2015

Postby The Technocratic Syndicalists » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:09 pm

Gallia- wrote:That's how Saigon raised the yellow flag on Ho Chi Minh's corpse.

Oh, wait.

Arc light, Linebacker I, Linebacker II.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
SDI AG
Arcaenian Military Factbook
Task Force Atlas
International Freedom Coalition

OOC: Call me Techno for Short
IC: The Kingdom of Arcaenia

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:09 pm

Oh, wait.

Only cause the US refused to fix bayonets and cross into North Vietnam.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013

Postby Gallia- » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:12 pm

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1xev6tAxc7w
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cehiDJm64a4

movies need to have bodacious patriotic rock themes more often

Spirit of Hope wrote:

Oh, wait.

Still would have lost.

The USA is a weak and craven civilization, like every Anglo-Saxon empire preceding it.

"Theoretically launched against some imaginary inferiority in the non-Anglo-Saxon man, either as patriot, as democrat or as Christian, they are actually launched at his general superiority, his greater fitness to survive in the national environment. The effort is always to penalize him for winning in fair fight, to handicap him in such a manner that he will sink to the general level of the Anglo-Saxon population and, if possible, even below it. (...) The normal American of the 'pure-blooded' majority goes to rest every night with an uneasy feeling that there is a burglar under the bed, and he gets up every morning with a sickening fear that his underwear has been stolen."

mencken_was_right
Last edited by Gallia- on Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:18 pm, edited 2 times in total.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:44 pm

Laxaria and Sakria wrote:Well we're basically fighting two guerrilla forces: commies' and jihadists, so doctrine would most likely revolve in stemming of flow of recruits and equipment into the hands of the rebellion; simply put, hamper the enemy's warfighting capability before and while facing the enemy. Raise a siege in a rebel-held town/city and make it last as long as you can until fresh reinforcements can come and drive the rebels out for good. Spread propaganda that radically demonizes their twisted doctrine (this has caused controversy in my Muslim population). Attack training camps and minimize deaths of trainees while we're at it. Attack arms trade deals. These are just a handful, mind you.

This still means very little.

"hamper the enemy's warfighting capability before and while facing the enemy?" You mean, the entire point of a military-political conflict? I should hope so! :o

All of this is very basic stuff that has little to do with whatever you wrote previously.

It might help to look at examples of specific doctrines, to see how they are designed to function. How they are influenced by strategic goals and how they influence the organization, training, and equipping of a military force.
Last edited by The Akasha Colony on Mon Dec 05, 2016 11:20 pm, edited 1 time in total.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Inyourfaceistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 20, 2012
Anarchy

Postby Inyourfaceistan » Mon Dec 05, 2016 10:52 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:

Oh, wait.

When you are playing a game of soccer and the enemy is allowed to score goals but you are only allowed to play goalie the best result you can hope for is a draw...

Ironically it was Red China who later called the USSR's nuclear bluff and basically showed that the North could have been invaded without escalation.

It's not French,it's not Spanish,it's Inyurstan
"Inyourfaceistan" refers to my player/user name, "Inyursta" is my IC name. NOT INYURSTAN. IF YOU CALL INYURSTA "INYURSTAN" THEN IT SHOWS THAT YOU CANT READ. Just refer to me as IYF or Stan.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:23 am

Schwere Panzer Abteilung 502 wrote:What has the armored combat looked like in the Syrian Civil War? I presume it has been brutal and nasty because of the combination of old tanks and plenty of powerful antitank munitions.

Youtube is not permitted on my workplace, but I suggest you look into ANNA's videos. They're a fifth-rate news agency [ANNA = Abkhazian Network News Agency] but they're famous for uploading hours and hours worth of combat footage procured simply by fixing GoPro's to Assad regime tanks.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Tue Dec 06, 2016 12:24 am

#HyperEarthBestEarth

Laxaria and Sakria
Spokesperson

Founded: Nov 24, 2016
Ex-Nation

Postby Laxaria and Sakria » Tue Dec 06, 2016 3:40 am

Allanea wrote:Here is The youtube channel.

T'was terminated :(
THE UNITED COMMONWEALTH OF LAXARIA AND SAKRIA
"A Union Guided By The Grace Of God"
Union President: Katrina Aldeguer | Union Prime Minister: Joseph Nismal
Overview | Military (United Commonwealth Defense Forces) | Multilateral Relationships

Member of Greater Olympus - A realistic region with an original and detailed map, with a fun RP community. Come check us out.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:27 am

Oh, wait.

Yes, it was due to the superiority of Vietnamese tactics and armament that America lost... wait, no.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:28 am

Laxaria and Sakria wrote:
Allanea wrote:Here is The youtube channel.

T'was terminated :(

Try this.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:50 am

Allanea wrote:

Oh, wait.

Yes, it was due to the superiority of Vietnamese tactics and armament that America lost... wait, no.

So where did I say that weapons win wars? Show me.

Weapons are probably a red herring IRL.

The last good army was the PLA of 1950-1970.
Last edited by Gallia- on Tue Dec 06, 2016 4:51 am, edited 1 time in total.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Tue Dec 06, 2016 5:34 am

Gallia- wrote:
Allanea wrote:

So where did I say that weapons win wars? Show me.

Weapons are probably a red herring IRL.

The last good army was the PLA of 1950-1970.

What's the point of your criticism of the strategic bomber picture, then?
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Tue Dec 06, 2016 10:59 am

That a B-52 can solve "a communist problem" when it has never solved a communist problem in its entire history of existence despite many millions of tons of bombs attempting to do just that.

What is the Armored Division Equivalent of Levi's jeans and John Mellencamp?

Paleocacher
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Mar 13, 2012

Military Consultation

Postby Paleocacher » Tue Dec 06, 2016 6:14 pm

Currently, I have a population of over ten billion people. For RP purposes I am trying to craft a factbook for a twenty-five million strong active-duty military which is 60% volunteer, 40% conscript and 75 million strong reserves.

This is what I have so far: https://www.nationstates.net/nation=paleocacher/detail=factbook/id=448520

I am hoping for five things to come from this post:
-Thorough suggestions on how to split up the manpower between the four branches: Navy, Air Force, Marine Corps, and Navy.
-Assistance in organizing the navy, army, and marines into fleets, divisions, regiments etc.
-Suggestions for how to organize a 250,000 man expeditionary force composed of forces from all four branches as this is the most commonly deployed unit in RPs. The 250,000 includes combat troops and support troops.
-Suggestions for equipment for the Army and Marine Corps especially small arms and combat vehicles.
-Ideas for advanced MT and basic PMT weaponry for my military as my nation is supposed to be roughly advanced to the late 2010s but many of my opponents especially in Regional RPs have advanced direct energy weaponry etc. (This kind of technology could be for instance a basic handheld coilgun).

Thanks in advance.
_[' ]_
(-_Q) If you support Capitalism put this in your Signature
President Clark greets you and invites you to read his factbooks.
The Armed Republic has a large MT/PMT military based off of the current French and American militaries in organization and equipment.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:25 am

Gallia- wrote:That a B-52 can solve "a communist problem" when it has never solved a communist problem in its entire history of existence despite many millions of tons of bombs attempting to do just that.

Levi's jeans have proved equally unable to dislocate Chinese and Vietnamese Communism.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:36 am

Allanea wrote:
Gallia- wrote:That a B-52 can solve "a communist problem" when it has never solved a communist problem in its entire history of existence despite many millions of tons of bombs attempting to do just that.

Levi's jeans have proved equally unable to dislocate Chinese and Vietnamese Communism.

Yes. Labels are notoriously difficult to dislodge, possibly because they have zero worth or value.

Vietnam and China are about as communist as North Korea is a democratic republic and America's electoral system is rigged. Levi's jeans has destroyed Vietnamese communism, but not Vietnamese Communism. For the same in the PRC, you need to look to the iPhone or something I guess.

But iPhones are the 21st century's Levi's jeans.
Last edited by Gallia- on Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:37 am, edited 1 time in total.

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Wed Dec 07, 2016 12:48 am

Neither of these countries are particularly market-capitalist but that's a wholly different debate.

The point is, the B-52 is a hugely effective COIN combat machine and has killed lots of Communists.

It's solved many many many tactical and operational problems in the anti-Communist field - and it is tactical and operational questions that the original inquiry was about. The fact the US lost Vietnam doesn't make M16s, the B-52, and 155mm artillery bad at killing Communists.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information