NATION

PASSWORD

NS Military Realism Consultancy Thread Mark IX Spitfire

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Themiclesia
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 12, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Themiclesia » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:09 pm

Husseinarti wrote:In this case I suppose that since Korea has super nationalized or whatever, Korea has become a kind of Japan or whatever.

Japan hasn't been a tributary state to China. :p
NS stats not in effect
(except in F7)
Gameside factbooks not canon
Sample military factbook
Nations:
Themiclesia
Camia
Antari
>>>Member of Septentrion, Atlas, Alithea, Tyran<<<
Left-of-centre, multiple home countries and native languages, socially and fiscally liberal; he/him/his
Pro: diversity, choice, liberty, democracy, equality | Anti: racism, sexism, nationalism, dictatorship, war
News | Court of Appeal overturns Sgt. Ker conviction for larceny in quartermaster's pantry | TNS Hat runs aground in foreign harbour, hull unhurt | House of Lords passes Stamp Collection Act, counterfeiting used stamps now a crime | New bicycle lanes under the elevated railways | Demonstration against rights abuses in Menghe in Crystal Park, MoD: parade to be postponed for civic activity

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:34 pm

Velkanika wrote:
Kazarogkai wrote:
Killing off large portions of the military age male population can be an effective strategy to put down large scale dissent, worked for Alexander the Great at the very least. Though it may backfire for said military age males are an important source of labor and as such said territory will have economic problems since you killed all the farmers/laborers/etc. That and it may actually encourage people to go into hiding and engage in asymmetric warfare thereby making the situation even worse by requiring you to invest in large quantities of military personal and equipment to pacify the population.

Never ever kill children though, it gives them a powerful rallying point and makes it so that they basically have nothing left to live for(in their mind anyways). You never want to fight an opponent who has nothing left to live for.

Personally I would wipe out the entire adult population, take the children and then scatter them throughout my lands placing them with good loyal Kaza households so that they may be raised in are ways, afterwards the lands would be resettled with loyal Citizens.

Congratulations, you've just created a few million pissed-off infiltrators at the very least and given all your neighbors casus belli to attack you before you genocide them. Genocide of rebelling populations became politically and socially untenable about 200 years ago. Genocide of other nationalities is a great way to piss off major world powers into taking steps to contain or stop you that, in the case of the Japanese Empire, led directly to World War II. I feel it should be noted that what you are proposing, which the Japanese did, is why I feel no pity or shame for my nation firebombing and nuking most of their cities.

Meh

Worked for the Assyrians and many other major ancient empires. People are dangerous when they congregate, a tiny minority surrounded by mass amounts of the majority on the otherhand are not much to be feared. Plus I seriously doubt a bunch of pre-pubescent children will cause much trouble.

Also you would be wrong about the 200 years thing. No one particularly cared about the natives, nor the Africans all that much. If it's not Europeans no one really gives that much of a damn, and if they do it's not enough to convince them to go to war over it. This did not stop applying until the turn of the 20th century.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
philosophes(not counting Hobbes)
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Antiquity
Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:38 pm

Is your nation in either:

1. A PT RP?

or:

2. A closed-world RP?

If neither of those, it's going to have problems.

If nothing else, genociding people is hard work. If they fight back (say, in guerilla warfare) it becomes a nearly impossible task, especially if they happen to find a foreign sponsor to ship them arms.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:46 pm

Altaiire wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:Accept for the fact that you are probably loosing soldiers and need your population to not get war wary from always taking part in invasions that would in reality probably take months or years. Also need to worry about those nations actually paying any reparations,.

Thankfully (speaking from experience) genocidal nations generally don't put up much of a fight. Their governments tend to surrender or get coup'd by the time you get the chance to launch a cruise missile at something. You could probably get away with not actually fighting, even. Just declare war, wait for it to be over by next week then show up at surrender negotiations demanding one meelion dollars.

Didn't apply to Nazi Germany, took the entire world pretty much dog pilling them before they went down and even then they did not go down quietly. Also assuming this, the guy in question who started the question considering he controls mainland china probably has nuclear weapons as such he can practically do whatever he wants lest his enemies risk nuclear war.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Allanea
Postmaster of the Fleet

Capitalist Paradise

Postby Allanea » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:49 pm

I think he's talking about his experience in NS.

Most OMG EVULZ Nations in NS suck at war.
#HyperEarthBestEarth

Sometimes, there really is money on the sidewalk.

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Wed Oct 07, 2015 7:51 pm

Allanea wrote:Is your nation in either:

1. A PT RP?

or:

2. A closed-world RP?

If neither of those, it's going to have problems.

If nothing else, genociding people is hard work. If they fight back (say, in guerilla warfare) it becomes a nearly impossible task, especially if they happen to find a foreign sponsor to ship them arms.

Hence why I would rather just assimilate people into the GRAND and INFINITE Horde. Genocide is kinda a waste of time and resources meant only as a last resort.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Chinese Peoples
Minister

Founded: Dec 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Peoples » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:25 pm

Kazarogkai wrote:
Altaiire wrote:
Thankfully (speaking from experience) genocidal nations generally don't put up much of a fight. Their governments tend to surrender or get coup'd by the time you get the chance to launch a cruise missile at something. You could probably get away with not actually fighting, even. Just declare war, wait for it to be over by next week then show up at surrender negotiations demanding one meelion dollars.

Didn't apply to Nazi Germany, took the entire world pretty much dog pilling them before they went down and even then they did not go down quietly. Also assuming this, the guy in question who started the question considering he controls mainland china probably has nuclear weapons as such he can practically do whatever he wants lest his enemies risk nuclear war.

Not exactly. This nation is in a nuclear-free world (no nuclear power at all).

And the question was actually a sub-question of the later Korea question; I'm going to start an RP on the premise that Korea has taken Vietnam and is attempting to enslave the whole population while Europe and America are in tatters.
IC Title: the Republic of China | MT | Factbooks | the only democratic China on NS
The duty of the state is to prevent danger, not to punish it after it has happened. Rescind the 2nd Amendment, today.

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Wed Oct 07, 2015 8:51 pm

Chinese Peoples wrote:
Kazarogkai wrote:

Not exactly. This nation is in a nuclear-free world (no nuclear power at all).

And the question was actually a sub-question of the later Korea question; I'm going to start an RP on the premise that Korea has taken Vietnam and is attempting to enslave the whole population while Europe and America are in tatters.

Sorry about that, I just assumed that.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Axis Nova
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Axis Nova » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:00 pm

Allanea wrote:I think he's talking about his experience in NS.

The vast majority of such nations I've seen are either newbies, or people who pick on newbies.

Chinese Peoples
Minister

Founded: Dec 28, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Chinese Peoples » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:03 pm

Axis Nova wrote:

The vast majority of such nations I've seen are either newbies, or people who pick on newbies.

Eh, it's only happening in the background.
IC Title: the Republic of China | MT | Factbooks | the only democratic China on NS
The duty of the state is to prevent danger, not to punish it after it has happened. Rescind the 2nd Amendment, today.

Axis Nova
Diplomat

Founded: Feb 14, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby Axis Nova » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:35 pm

I just have unpleasent memories of the whole thing with Kahanistan, so I may be a bit biased. >_>

Velkanika
Minister

Founded: Sep 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Velkanika » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:38 pm

Kazarogkai wrote:
Velkanika wrote:Congratulations, you've just created a few million pissed-off infiltrators at the very least and given all your neighbors casus belli to attack you before you genocide them. Genocide of rebelling populations became politically and socially untenable about 200 years ago. Genocide of other nationalities is a great way to piss off major world powers into taking steps to contain or stop you that, in the case of the Japanese Empire, led directly to World War II. I feel it should be noted that what you are proposing, which the Japanese did, is why I feel no pity or shame for my nation firebombing and nuking most of their cities.

Meh

Worked for the Assyrians and many other major ancient empires. People are dangerous when they congregate, a tiny minority surrounded by mass amounts of the majority on the otherhand are not much to be feared. Plus I seriously doubt a bunch of pre-pubescent children will cause much trouble.

Also you would be wrong about the 200 years thing. No one particularly cared about the natives, nor the Africans all that much. If it's not Europeans no one really gives that much of a damn, and if they do it's not enough to convince them to go to war over it. This did not stop applying until the turn of the 20th century.

That's one of my points. This isn't the Bronze Age Middle East, this is the modern world with all the advances in the spread of people, ideas, and information. Every situation where a genocide was conducted in an area with people that had access to modern technology it resulted in a massive increase in the intensity of the associated war.

Oh, and about the lack of danger of small numbers of people? History is littered with instances of lone assassins killing heads of state, small groups of conspirators waging low-level insurgencies and wreaking havoc on modern nations. Your method of dealing with revolting ethnic groups will just inspire the formation of terrorist organizations with popular international support. If I was in an RP with you and that was part of your cannon, I'd start passing out bundles of cash, military equipment, and guerrilla warfare training.
The necessity of a navy, in the restricted sense of the word, springs, therefore, from the existence of a peaceful shipping, and disappears with it, except in the case of a nation which has aggressive tendencies, and keeps up a navy merely as a branch of the military establishment. 1
1Alfred T. Mahan, The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660-1783, 12th ed. (Boston: Little Brown and Company, 1890), 26.

Please avoid conflating my in-character role playing with what I actually believe, as these are usually quite different things.

Altaiire
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 27, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Altaiire » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:39 pm

^This.
For both IC and OoC, please refer to me as the Altarian Empire, or Altair in short form. The demonym is Altarian(s.)
National Information (old, out of date): National Factbook Military Factbook

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:46 pm

Kazarogkai wrote:
Altaiire wrote:

Genocide was not the casus belli for WWII, it was a post-hoc justification.

Btw, if it had not used slave labour in 1941 to power its agricultural industry, Nazi Germany would have collapsed in 1942 or even 1941. It was the very fact they did not genocide everyone they came across that allowed them to last so long. Had they gassed all the dumb inferior races that they needed to work in their factories or grow their crops (which real Germans are too cool to do!!1111), they would not have had enough divisions to put into the field in the summer of 1942, and every gain made in Barbarossa reversed. Or they would have kept them in the Wehrmacht, and half of Germany would have starved to death.
Last edited by Questers on Wed Oct 07, 2015 9:50 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Restore the Crown

United Earthlings
Minister

Founded: Aug 17, 2004
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby United Earthlings » Wed Oct 07, 2015 10:01 pm

Organized States wrote:Is anyone aware of who or what provides AEW&C support to USMC combat aircraft that aren't deployed with the Carrier Air Wings?

I'm assuming it's provided Navy E-2s, but I've never seen nor heard anything about them operating with USMC aircraft.

Sorry for the vagueness, but I would say that depends. The US Air Force could deploy forward assets to friendly bases or if conducting multi-national joint operations the assets of other Air Forces. France and the UK as part of NATO and Japan both operate AEW&C aircraft to name just some. In fact, NATO has a joint sharing program that operates these assets upon the request of its members.

Questers wrote:The primary beneficiaries of our now multi-thread antagonism (I haven't any other word for it) are the people who are just introduced to the topic.

Not the word I would have gone with as I have no hatred or ill will towards you personally. As such, here are a few other options I think would be better suited (your choice): Contentious

Another one being: Litigious. Personally, I prefer that one, but seeing as I don’t wish to be antagonist, as I said the choice is yours. :p

Questers wrote:That being said, I think the challenge that is posed to the regulars of this thread is not how to dispense information, but to provide useful assistance in how to roleplay wars. In that sense, none of us have really risen to the challenge.

Hadn’t considered that angle, however now you have me more worried than before as I’m concerned about how much useful assistance/information we can even provided given the large influx of interstate war between massive rival power blocks that is typical for NS, the likes of which the real world hasn’t seen since the end of the Second World War if you exclude the Cold War which never resulted in a direct confrontation.

So, jumping the shark logic with a brain fart, since this thread is all about {mostly about?} realism. If we’re to realistically analyze, extrapolate, and propose abstracts from prior wars are we required to limit ourselves in the interest of realism to the Second World War for those large scale parity conventional wars? While, I’m sure the answer to the vast majority of people including me at first would be, a definite no, the point of a debate is to eventually reach some kind of consensus. Can our multipage airpower debate even find that hope of a consensus if for in many cases all we have to argue with is abstracts?

By deliberately limiting ourselves to the parameters of the Second World War, we remove many of those abstracts from the equation given the more numerous publically accessible availability of information.

Or have I just been merely rambling out loud?

Gallia- wrote:The implication that there is no objective truth is really trite tbh. It's bordering on neo-Marxism.

Not the train of thought I was going along when I wrote that thought exercise, but I so do love the wisdom you provide when I go down those rabbit holes. So, here we go again...

So, here’s my implication. If objective truth exists, then by all logical reason, I feel that I’m incapable of judging/deciding what is and what isn’t an objective truth and here’s why.

First, some definitions: The wiki version: Generally, objectivity means the state or quality of being true even outside of a subject's individual biases, interpretations, feelings, and imaginings. A proposition is generally considered objectively true (to have objective truth) when its truth conditions are met and are "bias-free"; that is, existing without biases caused by, feelings, ideas, etc. of a sentient subject.

The merrium-webster version: 3a: expressing or dealing with facts or conditions as perceived without distortion by personal feelings, prejudices, or interpretations

As a sentient subject, aka a human being, I’m never going to exist in a state of condition where I’m without feelings, ideas, prejudices, or interpretations. So, how can I then be, being completely honest, ever be objective with a truth since I first and foremost must be “bias-free”. Would it not be more accurate to say that, there is open truth or vice verse, a closed truth?

Before you lock me in the craziness of this rabbit hole, I doubt I’m the first or last individual to feel this way and so I leave you with some Bacon and not the pork eating or Kevin kind. “The human understanding when it has once adopted an opinion (either as being the received opinion or as being agreeable to itself) draws all things else to support and agree with it. And though there be a greater number and weight of instances to be found on the other side, yet these it either neglects and despises, or else by some distinction sets aside and rejects, in order that by this great and pernicious predetermination the authority of its former conclusions may remain inviolate.
Aphorism 46.”

If you're looking for a summation, I was referring to the tone of superiority that pervades a lot of your posts, not you being wrong specifically. The pretension is what matters, as your casual dismissal or general condescending remarks give your posts an air of ignorance, I suppose. Slight humility would go a long way to helping people consider your points, rather than " :clap: :clap: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :rofl: :roll: no wrong," or whatever.

Since, this part of the discussion has nothing to do with military realism, I’m going to keep it brief as it would require a very long discussion and this thread isn’t the proper place for that. Suffice to say, it’s a personality thing and you’re hardly the first person I’ve encountered that’s reached that misunderstanding. When your speech to a lesser degree and humor are laced with sarcasm, from personnel experience the majority of people interpret that just as you said, though some aren’t as nice with their wording as you were when describing it back.

So, in closing, please forgive my tone of superiority as the word you were looking for is hubris. I do try to keep my hubris in check, but alas when I’m here and my passion runs high for a subject I greatly enjoy discussing, all I ask is that you please bear with my unbearable condescending remarks at times for I know naught what I do when passion trumps reason.

Padnak wrote:Does anyone know where I could find PLA orbats and things like that? If they exist at all

Like lower level stuff

Besides spending hundreds of dollars on books and magazines...

The best online sources I've come across have been the annual publications by CSIS and DOD.

Chinese 2014 Military Power, Chinese 2015 Military Power and DODs 2015 annual report to Congress on Chinese Military Power

Questers wrote:i think im going to have commissars, i need a :soviet britain: name for them though

Given that I know what happens in the future if that happens, I'd go with Voenkom Doctrine Advisors or VDAs for short.
Commonwealth Defence Export|OC Thread for Storefront|Write-Ups
Embassy Page|Categories Types

You may delay, but time will not, therefore make sure to enjoy the time you've wasted.

Welcome to the NSverse, where funding priorities and spending levels may seem very odd, to say the least.

EstRADia
Spokesperson

Founded: Sep 29, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby EstRADia » Thu Oct 08, 2015 12:10 am

What's the difference between a Amphibious Assault Ship and a Dock Landing Ship?

The Greater Aryan Race
Senator

Founded: Mar 21, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Greater Aryan Race » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:23 am

Western Pacific Territories wrote:
Orussia wrote:Your Google-fu is weak.
You must train more.

I'm sure there is a line limit to Google, surely...

I find your lack of enthusiasm for German military terms....disturbing.
Imperium Sidhicum wrote:So, uh... Is this another one of those threads where everyone is supposed to feel outraged and circle-jerk in agreement of how injust and terrible the described incident is?

Because if it is, I'm probably going to say something mean and contrary just to contradict the majority.

This nation is now IC-ly known as the Teutonic Reich.

Verdiga
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Verdiga » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:37 am

Ranks of the Verdiger Army and NATO Equivalent:

Private (Pvt) - OR-1
Private 1st Class (Pvt1) - OR-2
Lance Corporal (LCpl) - OR-3
Corporal (Cpl) - OR-4
Sergeant (Sgt) - OR-5
Staff Sergeant (SSgt) - OR-6
1st Sergeant (1Sgt) - OR-7
Master Sergeant (MSgt) - OR-8
Sergeant Major (Sgt Maj) - OR-9

Warrant Officer - WO-1
Senior Warrant Officer - WO-2
Chief Warrant Officer - WO-3

Officer Candidate (OC) - OF-D
Lieutenant (Lt) - OF-1
Captain (Cpt) - OF-2
Major (Maj) - OF-3
Lieutenant Colonel (Lt Col) - OF-4
Colonel (Col) - OF-5
Brigadier (Brig) - OF-6
Major General (Maj Gen) - OF-7
Lieutenant General (Lt Gen) - OF-8
General (Gen) - OF-9
Marshal (Mar) - OF-10 (a rare rank, never given during peacetime)

Ranks of the Verdiger Navy and NATO Equivalent:

Seaman (Sm) - OR-1
Seaman 2nd Class (Sm2) - OR-2
Seaman 1st Class (Sm1) - OR-3
Petty Officer 3rd Class (PO3) - OR-4
Petty Officer 2nd Class (PO2) - OR-5
Petty Officer 1st Class (PO1) - OR-6
Chief Petty Officer (CPO) - OR-7
Senior Chief Petty Officer (SCPO) - OR-8
Master Chief Petty Officer (MCPO) - OR-9

Warrant Officer - WO-1

Midshipman (Md) - OF-1
Ensign (Ens) - OF-2
Lieutenant (Lt) - OF-3
Lieutenant Commander (Lt Cmdr) - OF-4
Commander (Cmdr) - OF-5
Captain (Cpt) - OF-6
Lower Rear Admiral (LRAdm) - OF-7
Rear Admiral (RAdm) - OF-8
Vice Admiral (VAdm) - OF-9
Admiral (Adm) - OF-10
Grand Admiral (GAdm) - OF-11 (a rare rank, never given during peacetime)

Ranks of the Verdiger Air Force and NATO Equivalent:

Airman Recruit (AmnR) - OR-1
Airman (Amn) - OR-2
Airman 1st Class (Amn1) - OR-3
Sergeant (Sgt) - OR-4
Staff Sergeant (SSgt) - OR-5
Technical Sergeant (TSgt) - OR-6
Master Sergeant (MSgt) - OR-7
Senior Master Sergeant (SMSgt) - OR-8
Chief Master Sergeant (CMSgt) - OR-8

Warrant Officer - WO-1

Lieutenant (Lt) - OF-1
Captain (Cpt) - OF-2
Major (Maj) - OF-3
Colonel (Col) - OF-5
Brigadier (Brig) - OF-6
General (Gen) - OF-9
Air Marshal (AM) - OF-10 (a rare rank, never given during peacetime)

Notes

-The Naval Ranks I took directly from Philippine Navy.
-Notice there is only one Warrant Officer in the Air Force, while the Navy and Army has three.

How do these Armed Forces ranks look?

Also, is someone kind enough to make insignias for these?
Last edited by Verdiga on Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:57 am, edited 1 time in total.
Republic of Verdiga
Republiken Verdige
ヴェルディガ共和国
This nation USES NS Stats, EXCEPT ON THE FOLLOWING: population, economy, taxes (but it's close), safety (we're a tad safer), corruption
This nation is Sweden with a sizeable portion of Japan and Monster Girl Encyclopedia, as well as a bit of Touhou.
The United States of America is too mainstream.
Pro: Democracy, Libertarianism, Nordic Model, Sweden, Japan, Israel/Palestinian Harmony (I am a dreamer)
Anti: Communism (not Socialism), Dictatorship, Conservatism, Islamism, Gabenism, American Imperialism, China

Laywenrania
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 05, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Laywenrania » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:41 am

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:For a mech infantry division I have like: 54 155mm guns, 27 MLRS, 60 120mm mortars, and 60 60mm mortars. I think that is a little weak now.

For an additional point of comparison, my mechanized and armored divisions have 96 155 mm SPH, 27 MLRS + 24 MLRS with tactical missiles, and 72 120 mm SPM (plus additional 60 and 82 mm mortars carried). FWIW.

in a Division: 144 152 mm SPGs, 66 MLRS, 6 Tochkas, 24 AShM, 108 120mm mortars, 81 80 mm mortars.
Compared, I feel pretty artillery heavy...
Factbook on II-Wiki
NationStates Factbooks
Factbook website

Nachmere wrote:Tanks are tough bastards.

Gallia- wrote: And I'm emotionally attached to large, cuddly, wide Objects.

Imperializt Russia
Khan of Spam

Founded: Jun 03, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Imperializt Russia » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:48 am

That's more than what even Mat has, I think.
Warning! This poster has:
PT puppet of the People's Republic of Samozaryadnyastan.

Lamadia wrote:dangerous socialist attitude
Also,
Imperializt Russia wrote:I'm English, you tit.

Immoren
Khan of Spam

Founded: Mar 20, 2010
Democratic Socialists

Postby Immoren » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:52 am

Verdiga wrote:

Private (Pvt) - OR-1
Corporal (Cpl) - OR-4
Sergeant (Sgt) - OR-5

Warrant Officer - WO-1

Lieutenant (Lt) - OF-1
Captain (Cpt) - OF-2
Major (Maj) - OF-3
Colonel (Col) - OF-5
Brigadier (Brig) - OF-6
General (Gen) - OF-9

Seaman (Sm) - OR-1
Seaman 1st Class (Sm1) - OR-2

Warrant Officer - WO-1

Midshipman (Md) - OF-1
Ensign (Ens) - OF-2
Lieutenant (Lt) - OF-3
Commander (Cmdr) - OF-5
Captain (Cpt) - OF-6
Admiral (Adm) - OF-10

Airman (Amn) - OR-2
Sergeant (Sgt) - OR-4

Warrant Officer - WO-1

Lieutenant (Lt) - OF-1
Captain (Cpt) - OF-2
Major (Maj) - OF-3
Colonel (Col) - OF-5
Brigadier (Brig) - OF-6
General (Gen) - OF-9

Notes

-Notice there is only one Warrant Officer in the Air Force, while the Navy and Army has three.

Why seaman 1st class rwice?
Aks kour for hen insignia template
IC Flag Is a Pope Principia
discoursedrome wrote:everyone knows that quote, "I know not what weapons World War Three will be fought, but World War Four will be fought with sticks and stones," but in a way it's optimistic and inspiring because it suggests that even after destroying civilization and returning to the stone age we'll still be sufficiently globalized and bellicose to have another world war right then and there

Verdiga
Diplomat

Founded: Sep 22, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Verdiga » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:57 am

Immoren wrote:
Verdiga wrote:

Private (Pvt) - OR-1
Corporal (Cpl) - OR-4
Sergeant (Sgt) - OR-5

Warrant Officer - WO-1

Lieutenant (Lt) - OF-1
Captain (Cpt) - OF-2
Major (Maj) - OF-3
Colonel (Col) - OF-5
Brigadier (Brig) - OF-6
General (Gen) - OF-9

Seaman (Sm) - OR-1
Seaman 1st Class (Sm1) - OR-2

Warrant Officer - WO-1

Midshipman (Md) - OF-1
Ensign (Ens) - OF-2
Lieutenant (Lt) - OF-3
Commander (Cmdr) - OF-5
Captain (Cpt) - OF-6
Admiral (Adm) - OF-10

Airman (Amn) - OR-2
Sergeant (Sgt) - OR-4

Warrant Officer - WO-1

Lieutenant (Lt) - OF-1
Captain (Cpt) - OF-2
Major (Maj) - OF-3
Colonel (Col) - OF-5
Brigadier (Brig) - OF-6
General (Gen) - OF-9

Notes

Why seaman 1st class rwice?
Aks kour for hen insignia template

Oops, clerical error on my part. Fixed.
Republic of Verdiga
Republiken Verdige
ヴェルディガ共和国
This nation USES NS Stats, EXCEPT ON THE FOLLOWING: population, economy, taxes (but it's close), safety (we're a tad safer), corruption
This nation is Sweden with a sizeable portion of Japan and Monster Girl Encyclopedia, as well as a bit of Touhou.
The United States of America is too mainstream.
Pro: Democracy, Libertarianism, Nordic Model, Sweden, Japan, Israel/Palestinian Harmony (I am a dreamer)
Anti: Communism (not Socialism), Dictatorship, Conservatism, Islamism, Gabenism, American Imperialism, China

Laywenrania
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 05, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Laywenrania » Thu Oct 08, 2015 2:58 am

Imperializt Russia wrote:That's more than what even Mat has, I think.

It is pretty much based on a NVA division with increased amount of artillery to come near soviet levels of barrels (while FM 100-2-3 claims the same number of barrels for both (read as: They list the same number of guns for a soviet MSD compared to what my book lists for a NVA one), my book says that a NVA MSD had about 66% of barrels of a soviet one), while adding apparently a MLRS detachment (12 pieces) to regimental level.
Last edited by Laywenrania on Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:13 am, edited 2 times in total.
Factbook on II-Wiki
NationStates Factbooks
Factbook website

Nachmere wrote:Tanks are tough bastards.

Gallia- wrote: And I'm emotionally attached to large, cuddly, wide Objects.

Questers
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Questers » Thu Oct 08, 2015 3:54 am

Imperializt Russia wrote:That's more than what even Mat has, I think.
It's broadly comparable.

A Questarian Division has 156 155-mm SPGs to the Laywenranian 144 152-mm SPGs. A Questarian Division hasn't any AShMs (this seems silly to me).

The mortars are an interesting comparison. I have 144 81-mm mortars and 432 51-mm mortars to his 108 120-mm mortars and 81 81-mm mortar. So let's compare drop weight.

A 120-mm mortar bomb contains approx 2.9kg of explosive.

An 81-m mortar bomb contains approx 0.95kg of explosive. (M374A3 HE)

A 51-mm mortar bomb contains approx .09kg of explosive.

These of course are variant figures! Countries design and employ mortar rounds on a compromise of warhead weight and range. The 51-mm mortar with 0.9kg of explosive only has 750 yards range, whereas the 81-mm with the same has like 5,500 yards. And furthermore, they can vary in explosive power because of the explosive used. It's also not a very intelligent comparison because he may centralise his mortars, whereas I distribute them (at least at the 51-mm level).

But let's do a basic shell weight comparison.

(108 * 2.9) + (81 * 0.95) = 390.15kg
(144 * 0.95) + (432 *0.9) = 525.6kg

Of course it depends on doctrine. I give each IFV a 51-mm mortar so a platoon can generate a shit load of smoke to cover its forward movement. These can be fired from within the vehicle via the commander's hatch. They're not necessarily for suppression, but they can be used as so in a pinch.

So let's look at the MRLS. Here he has significant advantage of 66 vehicles versus my own 32. Of course he doesn't state what MRL it is. I am using M270. I have an awesome throw rate of either 155,136 DPICM bomblets, or 34,560kg of HE to a range of 70,000m. Assuming SMERCH, I'm at a big loss here. He can shoot 192,456 kg of HE out to 90,000 metres! In terms of DPICM, I power through as M270 has incredible 404 bomblets per rocket vs SMERCH's 72, and so he only puts out 57,024 DPICM bomblets per salvo. They are however, probably bigger.

So I look like I'm at a big loss. But I am not. For while M270 shoots its 12 rocket payload in the same time as SMERCH, he takes only 3 minutes to reload. Sources put the SMERCH's reload at an incredible 17-36 minutes. Assuming 17 minutes, M270 can fire (fire and reload, and retarget, I put at 5m total) 3 times. 66 SMERCH wins at Alfa strike, but fails over long-term bombardment times because of his huge reload. And M270 can be readied for fire and packing quicker too.

I won't run through the numbers for, say, Uragan, because Uragan does not match M270 in range, although it has more barrels. It has significantly shorter range than M270. I cba to do HIMARS also.

Regarding Tochka and SMERCH, M270 has a trick up his sleeve. This trick is ATACMS, which out ranges both Tochka and SMERCH significantly, and can be guided. This is of course only what I have at Division. A Division in the vanguard can expect to receive a further 32 M270s, 48 203-mm guns with rocket shells with a range out to 75,000 yards, and 36 more 105-mm guns linked to each Brigade.

But what is not said is counterbattery and artillery networking. My artillery is networked through a separate net which is forwarded to the artillery observation posts in each company. Additionally each battery of either 8 or 12 guns or rockets has either 2 or 3 artillery radar vehicles. Control of all artillery in the Division, and all arty assigned to the DIvision, can be done by the Commander Divisional Artillery in his Divisional Artillery Group and so can be concentrated if necessary and centralised on a single target detected by one artillery radar, if absolutely necessary.

For instance - artillery vehicle can detect enemy tank concentration maybe 10km away. It can call down FASCAM from 156 guns in maybe 2 minutes right in front of the path of that concentration.
Last edited by Questers on Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:00 am, edited 4 times in total.
Restore the Crown

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Thu Oct 08, 2015 4:15 am

Laywenrania wrote:24 AShM.

wut
RIP
Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs)
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
DEUS STATUS: ( X ) VULT ( ) NOT VULT
Leopard 2 IRL
Imperializt Russia wrote:kyiv rn irl

Anemos wrote:<Anemos> thx Kyiv D:
<Anemos> you are the eternal onii-san

Europe, a cool region for cool people. Click to find out more.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information