NATION

PASSWORD

The NS Infantry Discussion Thread, L5A1

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who's going to OP IDT VI?

Archangel Conglomerate
3%
Spreewerke
6%
Kouralia
4%
Puzikas
4%
Sevvania
4%
Nirvash
2%
Nua Corda
35%
Imperializt Russia/Samozaryadnistan
9%
Padnak
34%

Total votes : 141

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Founded: Jan 27, 2012
Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:18 pm

A nice spear in general would probably be the best melee weapon fo it reduces the likelihood of fluid splatter on you, can be turned into a missile weapon, distance keeps them from hurting you, comparatively easy to learn and use, and is great in groups.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
philosophes(not counting Hobbes)
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:21 pm

Why do people think dispatching the infected in melee combat is a good idea? :roll:
Unreachable.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 04, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:21 pm

Kazarogkai wrote:A nice spear in general would probably be the best melee weapon fo it reduces the likelihood of fluid splatter on you, can be turned into a missile weapon, distance keeps them from hurting you, comparatively easy to learn and use, and is great in groups.

A spear won't do much to a skull unless the zombie is on the floor and you put all your force behind it and hope it doesn't glance off. Mace or war hammer gogogo

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Why do people think dispatching the infected in melee combat is a good idea? :roll:

Cause it's really fucking cool
Last edited by Fordorsia on Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Pro: Swords
Anti: Guns

San-Silvacian wrote:Forgot to take off my Rhodie shorts when I went to sleep.
Woke up in bitches and enemy combatants.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Premislyd wrote:This is probably the best thing somebody has ever spammed.

Puzikas wrote:That joke was so dark it has to smile to be seen at night.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Founded: Oct 19, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:25 pm

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Why do people think dispatching the infected in melee combat is a good idea? :roll:

This is actually a good point. The only possible use for a melee weapon in this scenario is for the very, very, very bad situation when they jump you or your ammo has run out or something. And for that role a pike or spear is basically useless. Not only is it not going to be easy to carry around but zombies are not afraid (both mentally and physically) of taking damage in order to get past your point.

So in that respect the best weapon would probably be an axe or maybe some sort of thrusting short sword. You know, something that can either decapitate the zombie or thrust through the skull and into the brain to remove the relevant bits.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:28 pm

Purpelia wrote:

This is actually a good point. The only possible use for a melee weapon in this scenario is for the very, very, very bad situation when they jump you or your ammo has run out or something. And for that role a pike or spear is basically useless. Not only is it not going to be easy to carry around but zombies are not afraid (both mentally and physically) of taking damage in order to get past your point.

So in that respect the best weapon would probably be an axe or maybe some sort of thrusting short sword. You know, something that can either decapitate the zombie or thrust through the skull and into the brain to remove the relevant bits.

Skulls are very strong. Strong enough that you couldn't simply thrust a sword through one. Just smash it with a tip-heavy weapon.

Crookfur wrote:Speak for yourself, Crookfur infantry enjoy the sheer uber high speed low drag operator nature of their tactical woad

Spreewerke wrote:One of our employees ate a raw kidney and a raw liver and the only powers he gained was the ability to summon a massive hospital bill.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:31 pm

Korva wrote:
Erusuia wrote:For boarder troops (IE, troops guarding boarder outposts with non hostile neighbours, operating checkpoints and that sort of thing) a simple assault rifle would be more then sufficient armament right?

Yes. They wouldn't really need to have any more weaponry than a police officer/park ranger.

BGS had armoured cars, anti-tank launchers, and flamethrowers.

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:32 pm

Its a last resort/I don't want to waste bullets measure.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:32 pm

Fordorsia wrote:Skulls are very strong. Strong enough that you couldn't simply thrust a sword through one. Just smash it with a tip-heavy weapon.

That may be. I honestly do not know. But an axe to cut the whole head off should work fine.
Purpelia does not reflect my actual world views. In fact, the vast majority of Purpelian cannon is meant to shock and thus deliberately insane. I just like playing with the idea of a country of madmen utterly convinced that everyone else are the barbarians. So play along or not but don't ever think it's for real.

The above post contains hyperbole, metaphoric language, embellishment and exaggeration. It may also include badly translated figures of speech and misused idioms. Analyze accordingly.

Wolohanistan
Ambassador

Founded: Jan 12, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Wolohanistan » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:32 pm

Korva wrote:
Wolohanistan wrote:Update.
(Image)
1. Trooper in the service of The Ministry of State Security
Troops directly answerable to only the MSS. Compared to other members of the armed forces, MSS troopers are motivated and well equipped. The State Security troops are usually recruited from volunteer and conscripted troops from the regular army that show a semblance of aptitude.
2. National Serviceman (Light Infantry)
This conscript has been terribly unlucky and has ended up in one of Cokaygne's Light Infantry Regiments. Unlike his motorised comrades, he'll have to patrol hundreds of miles of cornfields and pasture on foot.
3. Yeoman
Yeoman take the role of a paramilitary police force that act as Dragoons in times of war. Historically, the Yeomen were held in high esteem. However, since the establishment of the junta they are almost universally hated. Like the majority of the Yeomanry, this yeoman is equipped for rural patrols.
4. Militiaman
Everyone in Cokaygne must do their duty at the age of 18 and enter National Service. If a person decides to serve in the civil sector they will still be expected to maintain a certain level of combat readiness. As a result, this individual will waste a great deal of his free time practicing rifle drill. The militia is almost always equipped with obsolete equipment, it is not unheard of for ancient breech-loaders to be issued to Militiamen in particularly destitute areas.
5. Parachutist
Like MSS troops, the Parachute regiments are composed entirely of volunteers and are reasonably well equipped. As a result, they are often targeted by thieving conscripts looking to get their hands on webbing that isn't at least twice their age.
6. Yeoman; Counter-Banditry
Due to the vastness and poor living standards of Cokaygne, banditry and the production of illegal substances continues to be a problem. All Yeomen selected for Counter-Banditry duty are deployed to areas far from their home, as local Yeoman will often engage in illegal activity themselves. This one has wisely decided to conceal his identity.
7. MSS; Rapid Reaction Force
This MSS trooper is a member of the infamous RRF which on paper is Cokaygne's Counter-Terrorist force. More recently, they have been used to settle power struggles within the junta. The trooper's heavy armour is intended to be worn for short periods in urban engagements and is likely the reason why the RRF has the highest occurrence of spinal compression in the armed forces.
8.National Serviceman; Tank Regiment
This serviceman will likely be a crewman for what are affectionately know as "Conscript Coffins", an obsolete tank barely suitable for modern combat. Volunteer regiments are far more likely to receive an adequate vehicle. In quieter times, he will likely find himself repairing tractors on a nationalised farm.
9. Yeoman; Urban Duty
This yeoman is deployed to an urban area and is equipped with an SMG so that he is able to arbitrarily apply justice while on patrol in the slums.

Looks good, but the nation of Cocaine seems kinda rough :O

That's what I'm going for.
Imagine a Russia sized, semi-feudal Nebraska run by a government with an ideology that isn't far off Juche.
groovy GROOVY grovey govey govy gov go grooovy
Deviant Art

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:36 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Kazarogkai wrote:A nice spear in general would probably be the best melee weapon fo it reduces the likelihood of fluid splatter on you, can be turned into a missile weapon, distance keeps them from hurting you, comparatively easy to learn and use, and is great in groups.

A spear won't do much to a skull unless the zombie is on the floor and you put all your force behind it and hope it doesn't glance off. Mace or war hammer gogogo

Cause it's really fucking cool

Spears are perfectly capable with enough leverage of piercing a skull, especially an unarmoured one, just like any other piercing weapon. Also an old friend of mine came up with a pretty effective method(for slow zombies) involving a boar spear/trident and an axe. It involves a small 2 man crew, get one guy with the boar spear one with the axe, dude with boar spear stabs and pushes zombie on ground, dude with axe chops dispatches the zombie with a chop to the head.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:40 pm

Kazarogkai wrote:Spears are perfectly capable with enough leverage of piercing a skull, especially an unarmoured one, just like any other piercing weapon. Also an old friend of mine came up with a pretty effective method(for slow zombies) involving a boar spear/trident and an axe. It involves a small 2 man crew, get one guy with the boar spear one with the axe, dude with boar spear stabs and pushes zombie on ground, dude with axe chops dispatches the zombie with a chop to the head.

The obvious problem with that is the fact that there will always be more zombies than people trying to kill them. That's just a fact of the genre. So a method that requires outnumbering the zombies 2:1 kind of sucks.

Also, I said this before and I'll say it again. The main benefit of a spear is that it kills stuff at range. But once your enemy gets past the point the whole thing is basically useless as a weapon. For a human that can bleed, suffer organ damage or be killed easily this is a problem. But a zombie does not care about these things. A zombie could just walk up to you and impale him self on your shaft so that he can walk up your spear and bite you in the head.

Spreewerke
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Spreewerke » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:41 pm

Purpelia wrote:And besides, the things got everyone through two world wars.

inb4...

• M1 Carbine
  • M3 Carbine
  • M1A1 Carbine
  • M1 Garand
  • M1941 Johnson
  • M1A1 Thompson
  • M3
  • M3A1
  • M1918A3 BAR
  • M1919A4 Browning
  • M2
  • M9A1
  • M1911A1
  • P.08
  • P.38
  • Gew. 41
  • Gew. 43
  • MP-38
  • MP-40
  • MP-43
  • MP-44/StG-44
  • PP/PPK
  • FN1910
  • FN1910/22
  • MG-34
  • MG-42
  • TT-33
  • SVT-38
  • AVT-38
  • SVT-40
  • AVT-40
  • PPSh-41
  • PPS-43
  • DP-28
  • SG-43
  • Sten
  • Bren

Off the top of my head, anyway, and that's just one of the Wars.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:41 pm

Spreewerke wrote:Off the top of my head, anyway, and that's just one of the Wars.

And any of those would do just fine as an anti zombie weapon.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:43 pm

Not too sure about the GPMGs, purp...
Unreachable.

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:43 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:Skulls are very strong. Strong enough that you couldn't simply thrust a sword through one. Just smash it with a tip-heavy weapon.

That may be. I honestly do not know. But an axe to cut the whole head off should work fine.

Decapitation is only really good with a sword or an axe if the head or the body can't be pushed by the sword in the direction that the sword is traveling. This is why they have the person locked into stocks for guillotines so they can't move. Or like with executions in Saudi Arabia. The victim is on his/her knees and their backs arched a bit and their heads down, so that the force of a sword coming down on their necks won't push the body down with it, risking a partial decapitation. Hopefully I explained that correctly.

tldr the best decapitation is one where the neck can't be moved.

Purpelia
Post Czar

Ex-Nation

Postby Purpelia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:46 pm

Fordorsia wrote:
Purpelia wrote:That may be. I honestly do not know. But an axe to cut the whole head off should work fine.

Decapitation is only really good with a sword or an axe if the head or the body can't be pushed by the sword in the direction that the sword is traveling. This is why they have the person locked into stocks for guillotines so they can't move. Or like with executions in Saudi Arabia. The victim is on his/her knees and their backs arched a bit and their heads down, so that the force of a sword coming down on their necks won't push the body down with it, risking a partial decapitation. Hopefully I explained that correctly.

I imagine that with zombies being semi-decomposed corpses it would be easier to do.

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:Not too sure about the GPMGs, purp...

As I have said before. If you are fighting a horde of zombies than your weapon does not matter. You are as good as dead anyway. The only times when a weapon will help you is if you are engaging small bands or individual zombies. And in that case your weapon does not matter either. Just as long as it's a decent firearm and does not jam on you or something.

Kazarogkai
Powerbroker

Moralistic Democracy

Postby Kazarogkai » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:47 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Kazarogkai wrote:Spears are perfectly capable with enough leverage of piercing a skull, especially an unarmoured one, just like any other piercing weapon. Also an old friend of mine came up with a pretty effective method(for slow zombies) involving a boar spear/trident and an axe. It involves a small 2 man crew, get one guy with the boar spear one with the axe, dude with boar spear stabs and pushes zombie on ground, dude with axe chops dispatches the zombie with a chop to the head.

The obvious problem with that is the fact that there will always be more zombies than people trying to kill them. That's just a fact of the genre. So a method that requires outnumbering the zombies 2:1 kind of sucks.

Also, I said this before and I'll say it again. The main benefit of a spear is that it kills stuff at range. But once your enemy gets past the point the whole thing is basically useless as a weapon. For a human that can bleed, suffer organ damage or be killed easily this is a problem. But a zombie does not care about these things. A zombie could just walk up to you and impale him self on your shaft so that he can walk up your spear and bite you in the head.

Hence a boar spear which is specifically designed to stop a full on freaking charging boar from riding up it, a human under no circumstance will not be able to do that. Also the tactic my friend proposed is meant to be a mop up thing after the fact to deal with a few stragglers to save ammo not a full battle tactic.
Centrist
Reactionary
Bigot
Conservationist
Communitarian
Georgist
Distributist
Corporatist
Nationalist
Teetotaler
Ancient weaponry
Politics
History in general
books
military
Fighting
Survivalism
Nature
Anthropology
hippys
drugs
criminals
liberals
states rights
anarchist
people who annoy me
robots
1000 12 + 10
1100 18 + 15
1200 24 + 20
1300 24
1400 36 + 10
1500 54 + 20
1600 72 + 30
1700 108 + 40
1800 144 + 50
1900 288 + 60
2000 576 + 80

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:50 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Fordorsia wrote:

I imagine that with zombies being semi-decomposed corpses it would be easier to do.

Not really. Flesh is easy to cut through. It's the bone that would stop the blade.

If you'd really want to go for decapitating standing zombies, a two handed sword would be better than an axe.

Spreewerke
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Spreewerke » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:56 pm

Purpelia wrote:
Spreewerke wrote:Off the top of my head, anyway, and that's just one of the Wars.

And any of those would do just fine as an anti zombie weapon.

Literally none of them are bolt-actions.

My point is that a semi-automatic is pretty much always better than a bolt unless you're talking fraction-of-MOA accuracy at 1km+.

Sevvania
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 12, 2010

Postby Sevvania » Wed Oct 22, 2014 6:59 pm

It's quiet, for one, when every gunshot is a potential dinnerbell for any local zombies, conserves ammo, and is suitable for solitary targets or small groups. I don't think it should be like, the go-to solution, and that everyone should just try to ice pick their way through the zombie apocalypse, but I think that it can be effective if done in the appropriate situations.

@Purp: Zombies aren't very good at climbing, so I imagine that one could engage a sizeable horde from a deer stand/rooftop/bus roof/what-have-you. There's a segment in World War Z where a woman kills sixty-one by climbing atop a minivan and picking them off as they try to close in.
"Humble thyself and hold thy tongue."

Current Era: 1945
NationStates Stat Card - Sevvania
OFFICIAL FACTBOOK - Sevvania
4/1/13 - Never Forget

Fordorsia
Postmaster of the Fleet

Ex-Nation

Postby Fordorsia » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:39 pm

Sevvania wrote:

It's quiet, for one, when every gunshot is a potential dinnerbell for any local zombies, conserves ammo, and is suitable for solitary targets or small groups. I don't think it should be like, the go-to solution, and that everyone should just try to ice pick their way through the zombie apocalypse, but I think that it can be effective if done in the appropriate situations.

@Purp: Zombies aren't very good at climbing, so I imagine that one could engage a sizeable horde from a deer stand/rooftop/bus roof/what-have-you. There's a segment in World War Z where a woman kills sixty-one by climbing atop a minivan and picking them off as they try to close in.

World War Z? The ones that the zombies are pretty much super human and can run much faster and jump much higher than uninfected humans? Not sure how they couldn't get on top of a van.

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013

Postby Gallia- » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:45 pm

Wolohanistan wrote:
Korva wrote:Looks good, but the nation of Cocaine seems kinda rough :O

Imagine a Russia sized, semi-feudal Nebraska run by a government with an ideology that isn't far off Juche.

Corn based biofuel driven in cars made of corn plastics with seats of recycled corn husk rode on corn rubber tyres.

Corn Country

Korva
Negotiator

Founded: Apr 22, 2013
Left-Leaning College State

Postby Korva » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:46 pm

Gallia- wrote:
Wolohanistan wrote:

Corn based biofuel driven in cars made of corn plastics with seats of recycled corn husk rode on corn rubber tyres.

Corn Country

God's Country*

Sevvania
Negotiator

Founded: Nov 12, 2010

Postby Sevvania » Wed Oct 22, 2014 7:46 pm

Fordorsia wrote:World War Z? The ones that the zombies are pretty much super human and can run much faster and jump much higher than uninfected humans? Not sure how they couldn't get on top of a van.

For future reference, anytime I mention World War Z, it's in reference to the book, not the unrelated Brad Pitt Zombie Movie of the same name.

I suppose I should include the "An Oral History of the Zombie War" tagline to avoid any confusion.
Last edited by Sevvania on Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Humble thyself and hold thy tongue."

Current Era: 1945
NationStates Stat Card - Sevvania
OFFICIAL FACTBOOK - Sevvania
4/1/13 - Never Forget

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information