NATION

PASSWORD

NS Military Realism Consultation Thread #6

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who should OP the next thread?

The Kievan People
33%
Spirit of Hope
7%
Padnak
30%
Yukonastan
3%
Allanea
12%
Soodean Imperium
5%
Gallia-
11%

Total votes : 132

Inyourfaceistan
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 20, 2012
Anarchy

Postby Inyourfaceistan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:54 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Padnak wrote:
He asked if it was a good fighter, and I said it wasn't

In a dogfight between an F-35 and an F-22, my money is on the F-22

As an all around combat aircraft, I don't place as much stock in stealth as most of the people on this thread-

Neither aircraft is designed for dogfighting though. While physical performance is important, the increasing burden is on electronics, both to acquire the target faster and at longer range, as well as to prevent the enemy from doing so for as long as possible. In this regard, the F-35's electronics are better than the F-22's, which should be unsurprising given that the F-35 is a newer aircraft.

I thought that F-22 went 3v3 in terms of "kills" in their trials with the Eurofighter Typhoon in Germany.

It's not French,it's not Spanish,it's Inyurstan
"Inyourfaceistan" refers to my player/user name, "Inyursta" is my IC name. NOT INYURSTAN. IF YOU CALL INYURSTA "INYURSTAN" THEN IT SHOWS THAT YOU CANT READ. Just refer to me as IYF or Stan.

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Mon Aug 11, 2014 7:55 pm

Inyourfaceistan wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:
Neither aircraft is designed for dogfighting though. While physical performance is important, the increasing burden is on electronics, both to acquire the target faster and at longer range, as well as to prevent the enemy from doing so for as long as possible. In this regard, the F-35's electronics are better than the F-22's, which should be unsurprising given that the F-35 is a newer aircraft.

I thought that F-22 went 3v3 in terms of "kills" in their trials with the Eurofighter Typhoon in Germany.

First there is no official score out so far as I know, what we have heard is that it was a tie in the war-games though. However the rules of engagement were set to encourage WVR combat and restrict BVR combat. This is a situation unlikely to occur IRL.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:01 pm

There is an E/A-18G that has killed F-22s in training scenarios, judging by its kill markings.

But scenarios are just that. They tell you something about how the aircraft will perform in specifically defined circumstances, but nothing about the representativeness of the circumstances themselves.
RIP
Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs)
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
DEUS STATUS: ( X ) VULT ( ) NOT VULT
Leopard 2 IRL
Imperializt Russia wrote:kyiv rn irl

Anemos wrote:<Anemos> thx Kyiv D:
<Anemos> you are the eternal onii-san

Europe, a cool region for cool people. Click to find out more.

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:02 pm

So I'm in a war.

Dude has nearly infinite manpower.

I decide to just blow everything up.

People yell at me for making the most significant progress in the war.

I fight wars to win quickly, not to have thousands of my men die because of some shitty rules of engagement
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

Yukonastan
Negotiator

Founded: May 17, 2014
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Yukonastan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:06 pm

Roski wrote:So I'm in a war.

I fight wars to win quickly, not to have thousands of my men die because of some shitty rules of engagement

The best way to win a war is to never fire a shot in it.
The second best way is to utterly steamroll your opponents.
While we're on the topic of wars, the world's longest "war" was also the least deadly.
The Three Hundred and Thirty Five Years War (1651-1986) was between the Netherlands and the Isles of Scilly (off the south-west coast of the United Kingdom). It is said to have been extended by the lack of a peace treaty for 335 years. It was waged without a single shot fired, making it one of the world's longest wars and the war with the fewest casualties. Despite the uncertain validity of the declaration of war, peace was finally declared in 1986
Last edited by Yukonastan on Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.
this guy is a fucking furry and a therian
Btw, here's my IC flag

"Purp go to bed." - Nirvash Type TheEnd

Roski
Post Marshal

Founded: Nov 18, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Roski » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:08 pm

Yukonastan wrote:
Roski wrote:So I'm in a war.

The best way to win a war is to never fire a shot in it.
The second best way is to utterly steamroll your opponents.
While we're on the topic of wars, the world's longest "war" was also the least deadly.
The Three Hundred and Thirty Five Years War (1651-1986) was between the Netherlands and the Isles of Scilly (off the south-west coast of the United Kingdom). It is said to have been extended by the lack of a peace treaty for 335 years. It was waged without a single shot fired, making it one of the world's longest wars and the war with the fewest casualties. Despite the uncertain validity of the declaration of war, peace was finally declared in 1986

That's not the same thing
I'm some 17 year old psuedo-libertarian who leans to the left in social terms, is fiercly right economically, and centrist in foriegn policy. Unapologetically Pro-American, Pro-NATO, even if we do fuck up (a lot). If you can find real sources that disagree with me I will change my opinion. Call me IHOP cause I'm always flipping.

Follow my Vex Robotics team on instagram! @3921a_vex

I am the Federal Republic of Roski. I have a population slightly over 256 million with a GDP of 13.92-14.25 trillion. My gross domestic product increases each year between .4%-.1.4%. I have a military with 4.58 million total people, with 1.58 million of those active. My defense spending is 598.5 billion, or 4.2% of my Gross Domestic Product.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:08 pm

Inyourfaceistan wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:

As has been mentioned, exercises often have very artificial and arbitrary constraints that radically alter the performance of the aircraft and change how the situation would normally be dealt with. Given the sensitivity of modern radar systems and the desire by many governments to keep exact specifications and performance secret, often the most advanced electronics are withheld from use in exercises, even though these systems are key to the aircraft's intended performance.

The F-22 is a maneuverable aircraft and indeed it is very capable of dogfighting. But this isn't the primary intent of its design. The USAF expected that BVR combat would become more important in the future, and it is designed with this in mind.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

Triplebaconation
Senator

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:35 pm

"BVR" is just as physically demanding on airframes as dogfighting if not more so.
Proverbs 23:9.

Things are a bit larger than you appear to think, my friend.

Inyourfaceistan
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Inyourfaceistan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 8:54 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
Inyourfaceistan wrote:

As has been mentioned, exercises often have very artificial and arbitrary constraints that radically alter the performance of the aircraft and change how the situation would normally be dealt with. Given the sensitivity of modern radar systems and the desire by many governments to keep exact specifications and performance secret, often the most advanced electronics are withheld from use in exercises, even though these systems are key to the aircraft's intended performance.

The F-22 is a maneuverable aircraft and indeed it is very capable of dogfighting. But this isn't the primary intent of its design. The USAF expected that BVR combat would become more important in the future, and it is designed with this in mind.

I was just under the impression that in addition to its purpose as a BVR fighter, it could also match equally capable opponents in dogfighting, as evidenced by its clashes with the Typhoons?

"Inyourfaceistan" refers to my player/user name, "Inyursta" is my IC name. NOT INYURSTAN. IF YOU CALL INYURSTA "INYURSTAN" THEN IT SHOWS THAT YOU CANT READ. Just refer to me as IYF or Stan.

Lyras
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 26, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lyras » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:19 pm

Just dug this up...

For folks that think a Longsword-esque ship is impossible, here's a civilian vessel of similar size (though under-weight, as passenger vessels tend to be) that is theorised.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/engine ... -city1.htm

Also put some very rough calculations through the stuff from this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strength_of_ships and came nowhere near structural failure points. Seaworthiness, at least as far as metal fatigue and load limits of the steel, is fine. Given the size, and its very wide beam, it's probably quite a stable vessel, and likely good for anyone who gets seasick.
Last edited by Lyras on Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Mokastana: Then Lyras happened.

Allanea: Wanting to avoid fighting Lyras' fuck-huge military is also a reasonable IC consideration

TPF: Who is stupid enough to attack a Lyran convoy?

Sumer: Honestly, I'd rather face Doom's military with Doom having a 3-1 advantage over me, than take a 1-1 fight with a well-supplied Lyran tank unit.

Kinsgard: RL Lyras is like a real life video game character.

Ieperithem: Eighty four. Eighty four percent of their terrifyingly massive GDP goes directly into their military. And they actually know how to manage it. It's safe to say there isn't a single nation that could feasibly stand against them if they wanted it to die.
Yikes. Just... Yikes.

Lyran Arms - Lambda Financial - Foreign Holdings - Tracker - Photo - OOC sentiments

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:25 pm

Lyras wrote:Just dug this up...

For folks that think a Longsword-esque ship is impossible, here's a civilian vessel of similar size (though under-weight, as passenger vessels tend to be) that is theorised.

Yes people with design skills made a similar sized vessel, that from reading the article has a very different aim, was never anywhere near being made, and still has a numb of issues.

I've never healed that the Longsword is impossible, just that it is impractical to the extreme.
Fact Book.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Velkanika
Minister

Founded: Sep 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Velkanika » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:25 pm

Gallia- wrote:
Velkanika wrote:Oh, but it does mean it is operational. IOC is a minimum number in service to certify that it is now capable of being fielded in significant numbers with a minimum level of certified capacity dictated by the program goals. The F-35As already delivered are capable of firing live weapons and conducting limited combat operations, so they are operational in limited service.

If the IOC is in the future, how is it operational?

They're not operational because they're still in testing. Oh no, fires! Oh no, a thunderstorm!

Velkanika wrote:No, that's just low-rate production.

I don't expect anyone who isn't a government employee to understand what all that means.

Then you have terrible expectations.

I don't expect anyone who isn't personally involved with F-35 to know its operational status, though. Please continue to grace us with your esteemed and privileged knowledge.

I'm talking about the categories the aircraft is placed under by the federal government, which are part of the public record in this case. IOC and Operational status are different things.

And I will gladly share insights of my amazing Google-enhanced intellect with the technically ignorant masses.

Inyourfaceistan wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:

I was just under the impression that in addition to its purpose as a BVR fighter, it could also match equally capable opponents in dogfighting, as evidenced by its clashes with the Typhoons?

You've got it exactly. The F-22 is at least as capable as the most advanced non-stealthy fighters in WVR and far superior in BVR.

Also put some very rough calculations through the stuff from this page: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strength_of_ships and came nowhere near structural failure points. Seaworthiness, at least as far as metal fatigue and load limits of the steel, is fine. Given the size, and its very wide beam, it's probably quite a stable vessel, and likely good for anyone who gets seasick.

Very interesting. I hope they've got a reliable steel suppler for that thing though if they ever build it.
Last edited by Velkanika on Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The necessity of a navy, in the restricted sense of the word, springs, therefore, from the existence of a peaceful shipping, and disappears with it, except in the case of a nation which has aggressive tendencies, and keeps up a navy merely as a branch of the military establishment. 1
1Alfred T. Mahan, The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660-1783, 12th ed. (Boston: Little Brown and Company, 1890), 26.

Please avoid conflating my in-character role playing with what I actually believe, as these are usually quite different things.

Vancon
Powerbroker

Founded: Mar 01, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:31 pm

The Mech

So, first and foremost, I want anyone reading this to look at the gun this mech is holding.

Now, would it be safe to assume that it could be carrying a 120mm Semi/fullauto rifle?
If so, (this applies to whatever mm this thing is deemed to be) can someone make a list of the different types of rounds this thing could carry?, such as canister shots, sabot rounds etc...?
Slightly to the right, there is three circles with a line through them. Could these be smoke grenade launchers?
Even more so to the right, there is an assortment of six holes, in three columns stacked two high. What could these be? I was thinking of missiles or .50 cal machine-guns.
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

Imperializt Russia wrote:
The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Well what the fuck do you use for lube?

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Rupudska wrote:I avoid NSG like one would avoid ISIS-occupied Syria.
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Which just so happens to be within the next half-hour

Shyluz wrote:Van, Sci-fi Generallisimo

U18 2nd Cutest NS'er 2015
Best Role Play - Science Fiction 2015: Athena Program

Inyourfaceistan
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Inyourfaceistan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:34 pm

Vancon wrote:The Mech

So, first and foremost, I want anyone reading this to look at the gun this mech is holding.

Now, would it be safe to assume that it could be carrying a 120mm Semi/fullauto rifle?
If so, (this applies to whatever mm this thing is deemed to be) can someone make a list of the different types of rounds this thing could carry?, such as canister shots, sabot rounds etc...?
Slightly to the right, there is three circles with a line through them. Could these be smoke grenade launchers?
Even more so to the right, there is an assortment of six holes, in three columns stacked two high. What could these be? I was thinking of missiles or .50 cal machine-guns.

I hate to be the thirst to burst your bubble, but mechs aren't exactly useful or capable of much.

I mean one RPG-7 to the correct spot could take that thing down in an instant...

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:36 pm

Inyourfaceistan wrote:

I hate to be the thirst to burst your bubble, but mechs aren't exactly useful or capable of much.

I mean one RPG-7 to the correct spot could take that thing down in an instant...

'Tis but for a FanT RP. I already understand the cons of mechs. I'm just talking about it's armament today.
Mike the Progressive wrote:You know I don't say this often, but this guy... he gets it. Like everything. As in he gets life.

The balkens wrote:Please tell me that condoms and Hazelnut spread are NOT on the same table.

Krazakistan wrote:How have you not died after being exposed to that much shit on a monthly basis?
Alimeria- wrote:I'll go to sleep when I want to, not when some cheese-eating surrender monkey tells me to.

Lyras
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lyras » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:39 pm

Spirit of Hope wrote:

Yes people with design skills made a similar sized vessel, that from reading the article has a very different aim, was never anywhere near being made, and still has a numb of issues.

I've never healed that the Longsword is impossible, just that it is impractical to the extreme.

Impractical implies it's do-able, pedantic though the difference is.
I would argue that the do-able vessel is useful. Though care needs be taken. But practicality or otherwise becomes a user-discretion judgement.
Admittedly most folks don't do so properly, but that's a separate matter.

Allanea: Wanting to avoid fighting Lyras' fuck-huge military is also a reasonable IC consideration

Sumer: Honestly, I'd rather face Doom's military with Doom having a 3-1 advantage over me, than take a 1-1 fight with a well-supplied Lyran tank unit.

Ieperithem: Eighty four. Eighty four percent of their terrifyingly massive GDP goes directly into their military. And they actually know how to manage it. It's safe to say there isn't a single nation that could feasibly stand against them if they wanted it to die.
Yikes. Just... Yikes.

Lyran Arms - Lambda Financial - Foreign Holdings - Tracker - Photo - OOC sentiments

Inyourfaceistan
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Inyourfaceistan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:42 pm

Vancon wrote:
Inyourfaceistan wrote:

'Tis but for a FanT RP. I already understand the cons of mechs. I'm just talking about it's armament today.

I mean it could be anywhere from 40mm to 155mm depending on how large that mech is. I don't see anything to scale so there is no indication of its size...

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:44 pm

Inyourfaceistan wrote:I was just under the impression that in addition to its purpose as a BVR fighter, it could also match equally capable opponents in dogfighting, as evidenced by its clashes with the Typhoons?

You would probably be the first one then to cite that as something than proof stealth doesn't work and the F-22 is a failure ;)
RIP
Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs)
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
DEUS STATUS: ( X ) VULT ( ) NOT VULT
Leopard 2 IRL
Imperializt Russia wrote:kyiv rn irl

Anemos wrote:<Anemos> thx Kyiv D:
<Anemos> you are the eternal onii-san

Europe, a cool region for cool people. Click to find out more.

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:44 pm

Inyourfaceistan wrote:
Vancon wrote:'Tis but for a FanT RP. I already understand the cons of mechs. I'm just talking about it's armament today.

I mean it could be anywhere from 40mm to 155mm depending on how large that mech is. I don't see anything to scale so there is no indication of its size...

I would geusstimate about 30-40ft.

Mitheldalond
Minister

Founded: Mar 15, 2013
New York Times Democracy

Postby Mitheldalond » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:49 pm

Inyourfaceistan wrote:

To be fair, the same could be said of most things that get hit by RPGs.

Now that Longswords have been brought up, how well do you think a system specifically designed to kill Longswords would sell on GE&T?

And how long after releasing such a system would I have before Lyras turns my nation into a steaming crater? :p

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:50 pm

Lyras wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:Yes people with design skills made a similar sized vessel, that from reading the article has a very different aim, was never anywhere near being made, and still has a numb of issues.

I would argue that the do-able vessel is useful. Though care needs be taken. But practicality or otherwise becomes a user-discretion judgement.

As I said it isn't impossible, it is just near completely impractical.

The thing that always gets me is where and how do you build it or repair it? You need a dry dock over a kilometer and a quarter long, with a draft of 45 meters. There are almost no protected harbors where you can make such a dry dock, and the engineering that would go into it are immense. If it gets damaged abroad such that it can't come back by itself it is a write off, their is no way you could get a recovery vehicle big enough or get a strong enough cable to tow.

Beyond that it serves little practical purpose in combat, OHR is god, but AWACs are easier, cheaper, and more versatile.
It weapons range is still less than what planes carrying missiles can achieve.
I could go on but we have both seen the complaints against the Longsword dozens of times haven't we?

In the end I actually agree that if you wanted to you could make it, there is just no way it is worth the enormous resources that would have to be spent to even begin making it.
Fact Book.

Inyourfaceistan
Postmaster-General

Anarchy

Postby Inyourfaceistan » Mon Aug 11, 2014 9:54 pm

Lyras wrote:
Spirit of Hope wrote:Yes people with design skills made a similar sized vessel, that from reading the article has a very different aim, was never anywhere near being made, and still has a numb of issues.

Except what inspiration did you draw the SAM with a 1,100km range from?
What existing system can I look to as a reference as a SAM that can reach even near that?

Hasmonea
Spokesperson

Founded: Jan 30, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Hasmonea » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:01 pm

Mitheldalond wrote:
Inyourfaceistan wrote:

To be fair, the same could be said of most things that get hit by RPGs.

Now that Longswords have been brought up, how well do you think a system specifically designed to kill Longswords would sell on GE&T?

And how long after releasing such a system would I have before Lyras turns my nation into a steaming crater? :p

I'd imagine users of the Longsword are either grossly incompetent in which case even relatively conventional methods and weapons could defeat one, or competent in which case they're plain simply hard to get at since they're supposed to be at the epicenter of inherently large fleets...
Inyourfaceistan wrote:
Lyras wrote:

Except what inspiration did you draw the SAM with a 1,100km range from?
What existing system can I look to as a reference as a SAM that can reach even near that?

Theoretically you could achieve any range or payload with a sufficiently large missile. A missile with unlimited range is possible, even.

Personally I'd prefer aircraft toting missiles over SAMs for long range engagement of air targets though.
Last edited by Hasmonea on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
The Jewish Kingdom of Hasmonea
Factbook | Introduction | Monarchy | Defense Forces

Lyras
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lyras » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:04 pm

Vancon wrote:
Inyourfaceistan wrote:

I would geusstimate about 30-40ft.

Partly depends on the Mech's capcity for recoil mitigation, and it's extant ground-pressure... Low velocity HE-lobbers could get pretty big in the bore.

Spirit of Hope: Very large OTH radar capacity (ranged well beyond any existing AWACs) and capacity to use it to vector in other assets to strike. Worth it as fleets get into the thousands-plus.

Inyourfaceistan: Off the top of my head, I am uncertain. I have my notes at home, I'll see if I can dig them up.

Yikes. Just... Yikes.

Vancon
Powerbroker

Ex-Nation

Postby Vancon » Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:06 pm

Lyras wrote:
Vancon wrote:I would geusstimate about 30-40ft.

Partly depends on the Mech's capcity for recoil mitigation, and it's extant ground-pressure... Low velocity HE-lobbers could get pretty big in the bore.

Would Semi work then, but full auto available if really needed?

Also, what about the machine guns and smoke 'nades?
Last edited by Vancon on Mon Aug 11, 2014 10:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information