NATION

PASSWORD

Your Nation's Air Force Mark II:

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Skytecnia
Secretary

Founded: Mar 19, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Skytecnia » Mon Apr 27, 2015 2:51 pm

Pretty much any of the U.S. U.K. German air vehicles count. So yes this includes VTOLS.

Paragania
Ambassador

Founded: Aug 03, 2013
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Paragania » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:01 pm

Vassenor wrote:Hrm... OK, I am no longer convinced that my current use of the Mirage 2000E as a multirole aircraft is a particularly good one.

Does anyone have any suggestions for stuff I could retcon in or replace it with?

The glorious F/A-77A Kovas.

Nirvash Type TheEND
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 19, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Nirvash Type TheEND » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:04 pm

Rhoderberg wrote:
Vassenor wrote:Hrm... OK, I am no longer convinced that my current use of the Mirage 2000E as a multirole aircraft is a particularly good one.

Does anyone have any suggestions for stuff I could retcon in or replace it with?

F-15E

Simmer down, you.
Unreachable.

Rhoderberg
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhoderberg » Mon Apr 27, 2015 3:30 pm

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:
Rhoderberg wrote:F-15E

Simmer down, you.

It's not my fault I have good taste in multirole aircraft.
Ave Nex Alea | Formerly known as New Tsavon | Mick Swagger unjustly DOS - 4 / 4 / 2015

Mallorea and Riva should resign

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Oct 09, 2013
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Gallia- » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:00 pm

F-16.

Rhoderberg
Ambassador

Founded: Sep 14, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Rhoderberg » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:27 pm

Gallia- wrote:

F-16.

How poor do you think he is?
Ave Nex Alea | Formerly known as New Tsavon | Mick Swagger unjustly DOS - 4 / 4 / 2015

Mallorea and Riva should resign

Padnak
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Mon Apr 27, 2015 6:44 pm

English Electric Lightning

you're all uncultured swine
"มีใบมีดคมและจิตใจที่คมชัด!"
Have a sharp blade, and a sharper mind!
Need weapons for dubious purposes? Buy Padarm today!
San-Silvacian: Aug 11, 2011-Mar 20, 2015
Inquilabstan wrote:It is official now. Padnak is really Cobra Commander.

Bezombia wrote:It was about this time that Padnak slowly realized that the thread he thought was about gaming was, in fact, an eight story tall crustacean from the protozoic era.

Husseinarti wrote:Powered Borscht.

Because cosmonauts should never think that even in the depths of space they are free from the Soviet Union.

The Kievan People wrote:As usual, this is Padnak's fault, but we need to move on.

Immoren wrote:Again we've sexual tension that can be cut with a bowie.

Atlantica
Ambassador

Founded: Mar 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Atlantica » Mon Apr 27, 2015 9:51 pm

Well, in that case, the F-26 Black Eagle can do very well.
Proudly a Member of the International Northwestern Union

MT, PMT: The Greater Eastern Union of Zhenia
FT: The Continuum of Atlantica

zeusdefense.com
kronosinc.com

Atlantica
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Atlantica » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:34 pm

Gallia- wrote:
Rhoderberg wrote:How poor do you think he is?

F-16 is better than F-15E.

Well, in what way, besides management costs?

zeusdefense.com
kronosinc.com

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:42 pm

Atlantica wrote:
Gallia- wrote:
F-16 is better than F-15E.

Well, in what way, besides management costs?

Cost is like 90% of an air force right there.

The other 10% is how good your pilots are at slaying women in the bar.

Radicchio
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Radicchio » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:54 pm

I am thinking of setting up an air mobile ambulance service. Ideas?

Atlantica
Ambassador

Ex-Nation

Postby Atlantica » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:55 pm

Radicchio wrote:I am thinking of setting up an air mobile ambulance service. Ideas?

You mean with a helicopter?

zeusdefense.com
kronosinc.com

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:58 pm

Well since nsmrt fizzled out and I'm still wondering about it. Are there any downsides or upsides to utilize jet seaplanes instead of converted airliners or bombers for maritime patrol?
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Mon Apr 27, 2015 10:59 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Well since nsmrt fizzled out and I'm still wondering about it. Are there any downsides or upsides to utilize jet seaplanes instead of converted airliners or bombers for maritime patrol?

Yes.

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary
Postmaster of the Fleet

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Austria-Bohemia-Hungary » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:00 pm

Gallia- wrote:
Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:Well since nsmrt fizzled out and I'm still wondering about it. Are there any downsides or upsides to utilize jet seaplanes instead of converted airliners or bombers for maritime patrol?

Yes.

Care to provide more Gayla? :p
The Holy Romangnan Empire of Ostmark
something something the sole legitimate Austria-Hungary larp'er on NS :3

MT/MagicT
The Armed Forces|Embassy Programme|The Imperial and National Anthem of the Holy Roman Empire|Characters|The Map

Gallia-
Postmaster of the Fleet

Postby Gallia- » Mon Apr 27, 2015 11:19 pm

Austria-Bohemia-Hungary wrote:
Gallia- wrote:
Yes.

Care to provide more Gayla? :p

Seaplanes need:

1) Marinisation, although this isn't a tremendous concern it's still an issue if you intend to make a patrol aircraft as cheap as possible (the objective behind using airliners for conversion), requiring electronics, engines, etc. being replaced or at least procured specifically for resistance to water and salt corrosion.

2) Calm seas. Unlike a maritime patrol aircraft, seaplanes have trouble taking off in rough weather. They're not really boats, and without a clear stretch of sea to take off from something operating with turboprops or -fans would ingest seawater rather heavily. It might not be an issue with modern engines, but it's still unnecessary wear. Additionally, it'll reduce takeoff weight the worse the weather gets, maybe requiring JATO bottles or something in rather severe swells, but this is one of the advantages of a Seamaster-like flying boat: it's less prone to caring about swells and wave height. Unfortunately it's still a flying boat, so it's not totally cured, so having an ability to conduct amphibious landing and takeoff would be a benefit, but not an advantage compared to an airliner conversion.

3) Maintenance, like a boat, but also like a plane. Seaplanes need to have a lot of maintenance common to both, which isn't hard, but it still drives up operating costs and whatever.

Other stuff that's probably less important.

An advantage that it has over land based aircraft would be dispersion though. This was the main thing behind Seamaster, which could disperse to whatever port and not rely on centralised and known airfields that could be pre-targeted. Unfortunately, submarines proved even better than any bomber in that regard.

There's no significant advantages afforded by using a seaplane for maritime patrol over a land-based aircraft. Rarely will a MPA need to takeoff from a port or harbour, when it can takeoff from the nearby airfield instead. An existing aircraft conversion would be cheaper, easier to operate and maintain, and generally just as useful, and MPAs are generally designed with the explicit intention of being cheap to operate and maintain because the electronics and modifications for them are very expensive, very large, and require significant crew sizes, which airliners provide for in ample amounts.

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Founded: Nov 11, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:30 am

For the record, I'm not big on using other people's fictional designs.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

MtF trans and proud - She / Her / etc.
100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Tue Apr 28, 2015 5:53 am

Vassenor wrote:For the record, I'm not big on using other people's fictional designs.

The only real direct compeitor to the mirage 2000 in its multirole form is the F-16 although you could possibly add the grippen and the F-18 to the list. Obviously the Rafale is the replacement, which if you are considering also brings in the Typhoon as an option and then the feild is suddenly wide open

What is it about the Mirage that you find to be lacking and what would an alternative have to bring/not have? Also if a retcon is involved what sort of date would the alt have to be entering service with you?
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Radicchio
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 20, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Radicchio » Tue Apr 28, 2015 10:41 am

Atlantica wrote:
Radicchio wrote:I am thinking of setting up an air mobile ambulance service. Ideas?

You mean with a helicopter?

Could be he helicopters, could be tilt rotors, light choppers, big heavy ones, STOL fixed wings, etc.

That is why i was asking.

I have mobile hospital units being moved around by trucks and able to be set up just about anywhere for either disaster relief or for near_to_front battlefield medical care, I also have 2-litter light combat ambulances and 6-litter Maxi-ambulances for transporting wounded on the battlefield and mobile surgery trucks for battlefield triage and stabilization.

What i do not have is an air-mobile option for getting them from the maxi-ambulances and mobile-surgery units, to the mobile hospitals.
So i need to set up an air mobile ambulance service

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:47 am

Radicchio wrote:
Atlantica wrote:You mean with a helicopter?

Could be he helicopters, could be tilt rotors, light choppers, big heavy ones, STOL fixed wings, etc.

I have mobile hospital units being moved around by trucks and able to be set up just about anywhere for either disaster relief or for near_to_front battlefield medical care, I also have 2-litter light combat ambulances and 6-litter Maxi-ambulances for transporting wounded on the battlefield and mobile surgery trucks for battlefield triage and stabilization.

What i do not have is an air-mobile option for getting them from the maxi-ambulances and mobile-surgery units, to the mobile hospitals.

So basically CASEVAC. In that case I'd take a leaf from the RAF's MERT, and say use CH-47s.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

"Have you ever had a moment online, when the need to prove someone wrong has outweighed your own self-preservation instincts?"

Vassenor
Khan of Spam

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Vassenor » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:56 am

Crookfur wrote:
Vassenor wrote:For the record, I'm not big on using other people's fictional designs.

The only real direct compeitor to the mirage 2000 in its multirole form is the F-16 although you could possibly add the grippen and the F-18 to the list. Obviously the Rafale is the replacement, which if you are considering also brings in the Typhoon as an option and then the feild is suddenly wide open

What is it about the Mirage that you find to be lacking and what would an alternative have to bring/not have? Also if a retcon is involved what sort of date would the alt have to be entering service with you?

Well if it's a retcon then it'll be entering service as a Phantom replacement in the early 90's.
Jenny / Sailor Astraea
WOMAN

100% Asbestos Free

Team Mystic
#iamEUropean

Celibrae
Ambassador

Founded: Oct 05, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Celibrae » Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:59 am

Radicchio wrote:
Atlantica wrote:You mean with a helicopter?

CH-47s, perhaps NH90s.
"Though much is taken, much abides; and though we are not now that strength which in old days moved earth and heaven, that which we are, we are. One equal temper of heroic hearts, made weak by time and fate, but strong in will. To strive, to seek, to find, and not to yield."

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Tue Apr 28, 2015 12:43 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Crookfur wrote:

Well if it's a retcon then it'll be entering service as a Phantom replacement in the early 90's.

Then your options are F-16s or F-18s. Tornado might be a possibility if you don't mind a split fleet of F.3s(ADV) and Gr.1s(IDS) and the same goes for F-15s if you have the pockets for them.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Tue Apr 28, 2015 2:41 pm

Vassenor wrote:
Radicchio wrote:

So basically CASEVAC. In that case I'd take a leaf from the RAF's MERT, and say use CH-47s.

Or the MH-60s Variants that the US uses.
Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information