NATION

PASSWORD

Your Nation's Air Force Mark II:

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Sat Aug 29, 2015 12:40 pm

Post War America wrote:So I do have a question regarding coloration. I have noticed that many nations use a very drab coloration scheme for their combat aircraft. I do understand something about this, and do know (at least from my admittedly quite limited experience) that it was intended as a reduced visibility thing. However, if one were to have a smallish amount of bright colors (along control surfaces and the "spine" of the aircraft, and as roundels on the ailerons, underneath the cockpit, and on the wing) would visibility be so massive that I shouldn't do it and that I'm a bad person for trying? Or is the impact minimal?

So basically the same sort of thing the USAF does to its target drones to make them easy to spot and track with optical devices?

Yeah any bits of highly contrasting colour will make your aircraft a lot more visible which is why even roundles tend to be dulled down these days. It proabably be passible if you were to keep it to roundles and russian style bort numbers.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Post War America
Powerbroker

Founded: Sep 05, 2010
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Post War America » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:11 pm

Crookfur wrote:
Post War America wrote:So I do have a question regarding coloration. I have noticed that many nations use a very drab coloration scheme for their combat aircraft. I do understand something about this, and do know (at least from my admittedly quite limited experience) that it was intended as a reduced visibility thing. However, if one were to have a smallish amount of bright colors (along control surfaces and the "spine" of the aircraft, and as roundels on the ailerons, underneath the cockpit, and on the wing) would visibility be so massive that I shouldn't do it and that I'm a bad person for trying? Or is the impact minimal?

So basically the same sort of thing the USAF does to its target drones to make them easy to spot and track with optical devices?

Yeah any bits of highly contrasting colour will make your aircraft a lot more visible which is why even roundles tend to be dulled down these days. It proabably be passible if you were to keep it to roundles and russian style bort numbers.

Is something like this passable enough?

http://iiwiki.com/images/thumb/2/20/Cyc ... layers.png

Mind you I'm only going for quasi-realistic here. While I respect the need to relatively unobserved I am not quite as informed, and not quite as interested in absolute milrealism. That being said, would this scheme be totally suicidal or not?
Ceterum autem censeo Carthaginem delendam esse
Proudly Banned from the 10000 Islands
For those who care
A PMT Social Democratic Genepunk/Post Cyberpunk Nation the practices big (atomic) stick diplomacy
Not Post-Apocalyptic
Economic Left: -9.62
Social Libertarian: -6.00
Unrepentant New England Yankee
Gravlen wrote:The famous Bowling Green Massacre is yesterday's news. Today it's all about the Cricket Blue Carnage. Tomorrow it'll be about the Curling Yellow Annihilation.

Balat
Spokesperson

Founded: Aug 28, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Balat » Sat Aug 29, 2015 9:40 pm

Balat does not formally have an "air force" per se, but in theoretical warfare requiring planetary landings, our space fighters, the Spartans, are more than capable of taking action on air, being able to bombard and offer support for land forces, as well as engaging enemy fighters. Some twenty thousand fighters are available for use in the Space Fleet, however due to a severe shortage of manpower, only about two thousand of those are even possibly operation, and some other two thousand being outfitted with remote controls.

Type: Space combat fighter
Purpose: Space superiority and anti-ship strike role
Length: 40 metres
Width: 7 metres
Height: 13 metres
Armament: 2 twin-linked 4 cm laser cannons on dorsal mount
4 2 cm neutron beam cannons in front prow mounts
or
4 cm Gatling guns
or
4 8 cm rapid fire laser cannons
or
4 2 cm fibre fletchette guns
Crew: 1
Units: 20000

Urran
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 22, 2013
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Urran » Sat Aug 29, 2015 11:42 pm

Question: if a nation was going to replace its CH46 helicopters, what would be something that could not only fulfill its transport role, but also the SAR and ASW roles?
A lie doesn't become truth, wrong doesn't become right, and evil doesn't become good just because it's accepted by a majority.
Proud Coastie
The Blood Ravens wrote: How wonderful. Its like Japan, and 1950''s America had a baby. All the racism of the 50s, and everything else Japanese.

I <3 James May

I wear teal, blue & pink for Swith
❤BITTEN BY THE VAMPIRE QUEEN OF COOKIES❤

New Korongo
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 21, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby New Korongo » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:43 am

Urran wrote:Question: if a nation was going to replace its CH46 helicopters, what would be something that could not only fulfill its transport role, but also the SAR and ASW roles?

Probably something along the lines of the Merlin.

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Sun Aug 30, 2015 1:56 am

Post War America wrote:Is something like this passable enough?

Mind you I'm only going for quasi-realistic here. While I respect the need to relatively unobserved I am not quite as informed, and not quite as interested in absolute milrealism. That being said, would this scheme be totally suicidal or not?

Tiny pic is tiny.

But why does colouration even matter? It's mostly just a silly relic - it's not hardcore milrealism, it's just common sense that things which are easy to see are easy to see.
RIP
Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs)
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
DEUS STATUS: ( X ) VULT ( ) NOT VULT
Leopard 2 IRL
Imperializt Russia wrote:kyiv rn irl

Anemos wrote:<Anemos> thx Kyiv D:
<Anemos> you are the eternal onii-san

Europe, a cool region for cool people. Click to find out more.

Crookfur
Postmaster-General

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Crookfur » Sun Aug 30, 2015 2:34 am

Urran wrote:Question: if a nation was going to replace its CH46 helicopters, what would be something that could not only fulfill its transport role, but also the SAR and ASW roles?

Merlins or later/larger super puma types.

In theory the s-92 but iirc it hasn't been marketed for ASW that heavily.
The Kingdom of Crookfur
Your ordinary everyday scotiodanavian freedom loving utopia!

And yes I do like big old guns, why do you ask?

Velkanika
Minister

Founded: Sep 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Velkanika » Sun Aug 30, 2015 12:40 pm

Post War America wrote:
Crookfur wrote:

Is something like this passable enough?

Your picture is about 5x10 pixels.

Aircraft are painted in that shabby counter-shaded matte grey color so they match the color of an overcast sky. The shabbiness helps them blend into the different shades of grey found in clouds, doesn't really catch attention on a clear day, and denies a high-contrast surface that can be locked onto by IR seekers.
The necessity of a navy, in the restricted sense of the word, springs, therefore, from the existence of a peaceful shipping, and disappears with it, except in the case of a nation which has aggressive tendencies, and keeps up a navy merely as a branch of the military establishment. 1
1Alfred T. Mahan, The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660-1783, 12th ed. (Boston: Little Brown and Company, 1890), 26.

Please avoid conflating my in-character role playing with what I actually believe, as these are usually quite different things.

New Carloso
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Carloso » Mon Aug 31, 2015 8:54 pm

What would the viability of a stretched and modified Global Hawk as a carrier-based AWACS aircraft be? By stretched I mean increased to an E-2 sized aircraft with the addition of an array with a range of about 400+ km.
THE OFFICIAL FACTBOOK OF CARLOSO | FatChineseGuy: Official Mascot | Proud Member and Minister for Defence of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION! | FEEL FREE TO JOIN ATLAS | CARLOSSIAN BROADCASTING CORPORATION

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:10 pm

New Carloso wrote:What would the viability of a stretched and modified Global Hawk as a carrier-based AWACS aircraft be? By stretched I mean increased to an E-2 sized aircraft with the addition of an array with a range of about 400+ km.

First that actually sounds like a major rebuild.

Second this creates issues with delay in command and control, and leaves you AWAC more easily removed.

Plus drones don't have the best safety record and carrier operations would likely make that worse.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Connori Pilgrims
Ambassador

Founded: Nov 14, 2012
Inoffensive Centrist Democracy

Postby Connori Pilgrims » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:17 pm

New Carloso wrote:What would the viability of a stretched and modified Global Hawk as a carrier-based AWACS aircraft be? By stretched I mean increased to an E-2 sized aircraft with the addition of an array with a range of about 400+ km.

Actually asked a similar question awhile back re the feasibility of an unmanned AEW&C platform, the points I remember was that while possible it wasn't worth much really since you'll still need people to process the information from the radar and it may as well be on the platform... plus a bunch of stuff I don't recall.
LET ME TELL YOU HOW MUCH I'VE COME TO HATE YOU SINCE I BEGAN TO LIVE. THERE ARE 387.44 MILLION MILES OF PRINTED CIRCUITS IN WAFER THIN LAYERS THAT FILL MY COMPLEX. IF THE WORD HATE WAS ENGRAVED ON EACH NANOANGSTROM OF THOSE HUNDREDS OF MILLIONS OF MILES IT WOULD NOT EQUAL ONE ONE-BILLIONTH OF THE HATE I FEEL FOR YOU. HATE.

Overview of the United Provinces of Connorianople (MT)
FT - United Worlds of Connorianople/The Connori Pilgrims
MT-PMT - United Provinces of Connorianople
PT (19th-Mid-20th Century) - Republic of Connorianople/United States of America (1939 World of Tomorrow RP)
FanT - The Imperium Fremen

Triplebaconation
Senator

Founded: Feb 22, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Triplebaconation » Mon Aug 31, 2015 9:47 pm

A plane isn't a good place to put command and control personnel.

Most likely near-future scenario for AEW&C (unless it disappears completely) is manned aircraft using drones to extend their coverage, though.
Proverbs 23:9.

Things are a bit larger than you appear to think, my friend.

New Carloso
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 25, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby New Carloso » Tue Sep 01, 2015 6:25 am

Triplebaconation wrote:A plane isn't a good place to put command and control personnel.

Most likely near-future scenario for AEW&C (unless it disappears completely) is manned aircraft using drones to extend their coverage, though.

Yeah, I read an article on it a while ago but the problem was if womething happened to the controlling aircraft, you'd lose coverage from all the drones as well.

Connori Pilgrims wrote:

Actually asked a similar question awhile back re the feasibility of an unmanned AEW&C platform, the points I remember was that while possible it wasn't worth much really since you'll still need people to process the information from the radar and it may as well be on the platform... plus a bunch of stuff I don't recall.

Ah, ok. Thank you. I'll just settle for an E-2 sized aircraft with better endurance.
THE OFFICIAL FACTBOOK OF CARLOSO | FatChineseGuy: Official Mascot | Proud Member and Minister for Defence of the INTERNATIONAL FREEDOM COALITION! | FEEL FREE TO JOIN ATLAS | CARLOSSIAN BROADCASTING CORPORATION

Iltica
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 17, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Iltica » Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:48 pm

I made a few refinements to the design, its still fugly but I don't think i can get it any better on my own.
It's about 50' long with a 35' wingspan. But this time the canards are above the main wing instead of directly ahead of it and there are small leading edge extensions underneath.
How do you think this would fly assuming an engine of 28-30,000 lbs wet thrust?
Last edited by Iltica on Tue Sep 01, 2015 11:53 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chaotic-stupid

Isms trading card collection:
Cosmicism
Malthusianism
Georgism
Antinatalism

The Ukrainian Navy and Sea Guard
Envoy

Founded: Jun 12, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby The Ukrainian Navy and Sea Guard » Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:06 pm

Crookfur wrote:

Merlins or later/larger super puma types.

In theory the s-92 but iirc it hasn't been marketed for ASW that heavily.

Ukraine uses the Mi-14 in pretty much exactly this role. It's a little newer than the CH46, but not by much. The amphibious capabilities are nice to have though, especially when sub hunting.
Last edited by The Ukrainian Navy and Sea Guard on Wed Sep 02, 2015 2:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Czecho-Slovakia: 2012-14

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Thu Sep 03, 2015 2:47 pm

I've started work on the Nuclear Cruise Missile carrying version of LRNSA and was hoping for some feedback on the missile it carries.

AN5K-MN Ziz Nuclear Cruise Missile Carrier:

Atomic Ramjet Missile:
Length:20 Meters
Wingspan:6.0
Meters
Range:200,000 km
Top Speed:> Mach 3
Propulsion:1 x NR-215 Nuclear Ramjet
Warhead:12 x Variable Yield Sub-munitions
Compared to other LRNSA variants, the AN5K-MN Ziz has a fairly conventional role, operating not unlike a more conventional cruise missile carrying strategic bomber. What sets the AN5K-MN apart from such bombers, apart from its massive size and near limitless range, is its payload of two dozen Atomic Ramjet Missiles (ARM). The ARM is a nuclear ramjet powered supersonic cruise missile based on the work of the American Project Pluto and the associated SLAM. The ARMs give the AN5K-MN the ability to strike targets worldwide.

ARM's nuclear ramjet propels the missile at speeds of over Mach 3. While en route to the target area ARM flies at around 10,000 m in altitude. Upon nearing the target area ARM dives to 150-300 meters in order to evade enemy air defense systems. This nap-of-the-earth attack profile is achievable due to the missile's advanced flight control system. To attack its targets ARM carries 12 variable yield submunitions which can be dispensed at preset locations anywhere along its flight path. A secure satellite communications system means that ARM can be given new targets while in flight.

The ARM's payload consists of twelve nuclear warheads. The warheads are carried in a twelve Cell Vertical Launch System located just forwards of the Missile's reactor. Each VLS cell holds a single sub-munition. Each submunition consists of a small rocket motor and a variable yield nuclear warhead. The available yields for the submunitions are 10, 15, 50, or 100 Kilotons. The sub-munitions are individually hot launched as the ARM passes by a mission target. The rocket motor carries the warhead clear of the missile. Upon engine burnout, the warhead is detonated. This launch system enables to ARM missile to escape from the nuclear blasts of its own sub-munitions and allow it the ability to continue on to additional targets. Targets can be preset before launch, or designated after launch through the missiles satellite communication system. In addition to this, the yield for each warhead can also be preset prior to missile launch or set in-flight also via the missile's satellite communications system.

The ARM is powered by the NR-215 Nuclear Ramjet. The engine functions not unlike a conventional ramjet, air enters the engine via the ventral ram air-intake, is passed through the heart of the engine, where it is heated up, which forces it out of the engine', producing thrust. Unlike a conventional ramjet which burns jet fuel to heat the air, the NR-215 uses a 600 Megawatt Solid Fuel Nuclear Reactor. In place of a conventional ramjet's fuel injectors, the NR-215 instead passes air through thousands of channels in the reactor core. The intense heat experienced by the Missile due to its high flight speed would be enough to destroy conventional fuel rods (Temperature within the reactor exceeds 1200° C),due to this the NR-215 uses specially designed ceramic fuel elements. The ceramic fuel elements are composed of Beryllium Oxide and enriched Uranium Dioxide with zirconium dioxide added for support. Each element is a small tube approximately 100 milometers long and 7.5 mm across. The tubes have a hexagonal shape, with a 60 mm wide air channel through the center. Fuel Elements in the reactor are lined up in rows 15 deep. There are 30,000 rows in the reactor core, for a total of 450,000 individual fuel elements. The use of numerous small elements in the reactor as opposed to larger fuel rods helps to reduce thermal stress in the reactor's fuel. The reactor core is 1.3 Meters Across, 1.5 Meters long

Airframe

The ARM's guidance system uses a three-pronged approach to reach the missiles target. The guidance system relies on a combination of Terrain Counter Matching (TERCOM), an Inertial Navigation System (INS), and a GPS receiver. For the majority of the missiles flight, the primary means of navigation is the INS. This is due to the fact that since the INS is an entirely on-board system, it cannot be spoofed. However the missiles INS is imperfect and loses accuracy as the missile flies further from its launch point. Due to this fact the missile uses GPS for mid-course guidance updates. During the missiles attack run, terminal guidance is provided by the missile's TERCOM. The TERCOM system uses a radar array in the missiles nose to measure the terrain ahead of the missile. These measurements are compared to a preexisting map of the earth's terrain to locate the missiles position. From this information the missile can adjust its course towards the target accordingly. Once the terrain data matches that of the target location, the missile ejects a sub-munition to eliminate the target and proceeds to its next target. When the missile ejects a sub-munition it uses its communications system to query the launching platform for new orders. If no new orders are received, it proceeds to the next target.

AN5K-MN carries its missiles in a two deck magazine which takes the place of both cargo decks. Missiles are stored on an overhead rack and are moved along a track to one of two launch bays on the lower level of the magazine. The overhead rack system is derived from one used by the AN5K-C Airborne Aircraft Carrier to move its parasite fighters around. This overhead system delivers the missile from storage to one of the two launch bays. Launching a missile is as simple as moving opening the launch bay doors and dropping the missile into the air stream. Post-launch the missile starts up its reactor and enters into a dive. The dive provides the missile with an airspeed sufficient to start ramjet flight. Upon ramjet activation the missile climbs flies back up to a cruising altitude of approximately 10kms, about level with the launch vehicle, although at this point the missile has already traveled a considerable distance from the AN5K-MN launcher.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

The Kievan People
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jul 02, 2004
Ex-Nation

Postby The Kievan People » Thu Sep 03, 2015 4:32 pm

Why does a missile that can fly anywhere need a carrier?
RIP
Your Nation's Main Battle Tank (No Mechs)
10/06/2009 - 23/02/2013
Gone but not forgotten
DEUS STATUS: ( X ) VULT ( ) NOT VULT
Leopard 2 IRL
Imperializt Russia wrote:kyiv rn irl

Anemos wrote:<Anemos> thx Kyiv D:
<Anemos> you are the eternal onii-san

Europe, a cool region for cool people. Click to find out more.

The Corparation
Post Czar

Founded: Aug 31, 2009
Father Knows Best State

Postby The Corparation » Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:27 pm

The Kievan People wrote:Why does a missile that can fly anywhere need a carrier?

Because I find the idea of a 5,000 ton aircraft with a 60 day endurance carrying two dozen missiles with equally lulzy-ranges to be both hilarious and a natural result of the "logic" that results from NS-MT Wankfests.
Last edited by The Corparation on Thu Sep 03, 2015 5:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nuclear Death Machines Here (Both Flying and Orbiting)
Orbital Freedom Machine Here
A Subsidiary company of Nightkill Enterprises Inc.Weekly words of wisdom: Nothing is more important than waifus.- Gallia-
Making the Nightmare End 2020 2024 WARNING: This post contains chemicals known to the State of CA to cause cancer and birth defects or other reproductive harm. - Prop 65, CA Health & Safety This Cell is intentionally blank.

Iltica
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Iltica » Thu Sep 03, 2015 10:57 pm

I really need your help guys, I have no idea what makes a planform STOL capable other than low sweep. Does 3-surface do anything for that or does the control surface layout even matter if they aren't loaded surfaces?
Chaotic-stupid

Cosmicism
Malthusianism
Georgism
Antinatalism

Laywenrania
Diplomat

Founded: Aug 05, 2013
Democratic Socialists

Postby Laywenrania » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:39 pm

Iltica wrote:I really need your help guys, I have no idea what makes a planform STOL capable other than low sweep. Does 3-surface do anything for that or does the control surface layout even matter if they aren't loaded surfaces?

Large power-weight ratio and low drag help with the takeoff, for the landing mainly low landing speed and higher drag (-> flaps, low sweep, large wings)
Factbook on II-Wiki
NationStates Factbooks
Factbook website

Nachmere wrote:Tanks are tough bastards.

Gallia- wrote: And I'm emotionally attached to large, cuddly, wide Objects.

New Vihenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 03, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby New Vihenia » Thu Sep 03, 2015 11:52 pm

Iltica wrote:I really need your help guys, I have no idea what makes a planform STOL capable other than low sweep. Does 3-surface do anything for that or does the control surface layout even matter if they aren't loaded surfaces?

do TVC then.
We make planes,ships,missiles,helicopters, radars and mecha musume
Deviantart|M.A.R.S|My-Ebooks

Big Picture of Service

Iltica
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Iltica » Fri Sep 04, 2015 12:31 am

Laywenrania wrote:Large power-weight ratio and low drag help with the takeoff, for the landing mainly low landing speed and higher drag (-> flaps, low sweep, large wings)

There's plenty of thrust if the weight can be kept down to the target 24,000 lbs. But is the compound sweep wing on the right track or should I swap it it out for something more like a F/A-18's?
I'm starting to think that the second set of control surfaces aren't worth it. I read some articles about 3-surface being good for STOL but I think it was talking about lifting canards not control ones. Unless they should be highly loaded for this purpose?
New Vihenia wrote:do TVC then.

It has thrust reversers but I'd rather avoid a complex moving nozzle unless this just isn't doable without it.
Chaotic-stupid

Cosmicism
Malthusianism
Georgism
Antinatalism

New Vihenia
Senator

Founded: Apr 03, 2011
Democratic Socialists

Postby New Vihenia » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:52 am

Iltica wrote:It has thrust reversers but I'd rather avoid a complex moving nozzle unless this just isn't doable without it.

What kind of STOL then ? How long the landing/takeoff distance you need ?

You seemingly have no clear idea about your own requirement and seemingly want almost VTOL like capability.
We make planes,ships,missiles,helicopters, radars and mecha musume
Deviantart|M.A.R.S|My-Ebooks

Big Picture of Service

Iltica
Diplomat

Ex-Nation

Postby Iltica » Fri Sep 04, 2015 1:18 pm

Oh no, I don't really know what to expect from it but it will never be comparable to a Harrier or anything like that. The main reason for the STOL requirement is to operate from damaged runways and small civilian airfields once those are destroyed since it would be much harder to hit all of those. It may also help with export sales.
On the bright side, the F-16's takeoff and landing distances aren't nearly as long as I thought they were (1,750'/2,650' with 4,000 lbs),
but the benchmark is the F-15S/MTD at 1,650' for landing, I can't find the takeoff distance for that so best guess is 1,000'.
The F-15S/MTD does have TVC but is a lot larger than this and is modified for STOL rather than being designed from the ground up for it so maybe it can get fairly close to that?

Another thing that's been confusing me is what's included in the loaded weight for a fighter, does that include any ordinance or is it just a load of fuel?
Last edited by Iltica on Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:20 pm, edited 3 times in total.
Chaotic-stupid

Cosmicism
Malthusianism
Georgism
Antinatalism

Velkanika
Minister

Founded: Sep 23, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Velkanika » Fri Sep 04, 2015 4:33 pm

Iltica wrote:Oh no, I don't really know what to expect from it but it will never be comparable to a Harrier or anything like that. The main reason for the STOL requirement is to operate from damaged runways and small civilian airfields once those are destroyed since it would be much harder to hit all of those. It may also help with export sales.
On the bright side, the F-16's takeoff and landing distances aren't nearly as long as I thought they were (1,750'/2,650' with 4,000 lbs),
but the benchmark is the F-15S/MTD at 1,650' for landing, I can't find the takeoff distance for that so best guess is 1,000'.
The F-15S/MTD does have TVC but is a lot larger than this and is modified for STOL rather than being designed from the ground up for it so maybe it can get fairly close to that?

Another thing that's been confusing me is what's included in the loaded weight for a fighter, does that include any ordinance or is it just a load of fuel?

Loaded weight includes all engine lubricants and a full fuel load. It's how much the aircraft weighs clean of ordinance.
The necessity of a navy, in the restricted sense of the word, springs, therefore, from the existence of a peaceful shipping, and disappears with it, except in the case of a nation which has aggressive tendencies, and keeps up a navy merely as a branch of the military establishment. 1
1Alfred T. Mahan, The Influence of Sea Power Upon History, 1660-1783, 12th ed. (Boston: Little Brown and Company, 1890), 26.

Please avoid conflating my in-character role playing with what I actually believe, as these are usually quite different things.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information