NATION

PASSWORD

Worldbuilding Realism Consultation Thread Mk. 4

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Organized States
Powerbroker

Founded: Apr 26, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Organized States » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:19 am

So, what are you guys' thoughts on Ford's new Police Interceptor? Good choice for my country? I've got a very large roadway/highway system...

Thank God for OS!- Deian
"In the old days, the navigators used magic to make themselves strong, but now, nothing; they just pray. Before they leave and at sea, they pray. But I, I make myself strong by thinking—just by thinking! I make myself strong because I despise cowardice. Too many men are afraid of the sea. But I am a navigator."-Mau Piailug
"I regret that I have only one life to give to my island." -Ricardo Bordallo, 2nd Governor of Guam
"Both are voyages of exploration. Hōkūle‘a is in the past, Columbia is in the future." -Colonel Charles L. Veach, USAF, Astronaut and Navigation Enthusiast

Pacific Islander-American (proud member of the 0.5%), Officer to be

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Founded: Dec 09, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:33 am

It's certainly superior than any of the vehicles it replaces.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:36 am

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:And as far as patrol cars are concerned I'd obviously either get a full size car with the smallest available engine or a smaller vehicle, or a mix of the above.

Getting a vehicle with the smallest engine possible is fine if it doesn't weigh as much but if it is a large American sedan, you're simply throwing money away. Underpowered vehicles will chew through food, especially if they are used for emergency vehicles.
"Inside every cynical person, there is a disappointed idealist." - George Carlin

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Founded: Aug 23, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:56 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:And as far as patrol cars are concerned I'd obviously either get a full size car with the smallest available engine or a smaller vehicle, or a mix of the above.

Getting a vehicle with the smallest engine possible is fine if it doesn't weigh as much but if it is a large American sedan, you're simply throwing money away. Underpowered vehicles will chew through food, especially if they are used for emergency vehicles.

Throwing money away? Why? And I think you meant fuel not food.

Since times immemorial city and metro American police agencies have used full sized sedans with generally the smallest available engine, because lowered speed and acceleration have an infinitesimal negative effect on performance on urban roads, especially in contrast with the fuel savings generated by using a smaller engine. And it has served them pretty good. Another advantage of the classic American police car is the body on frame construction which allows for cheap repairs (and modularity although this hasn't really been exploited a lot) .

EDIT: Remember that perhaps 99% of the time all a patrol car will be doing is just cruising along at the lowest speed that won't disrupt nearby traffic,
Last edited by DnalweN acilbupeR on Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:58 am, edited 1 time in total.
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:10 am

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:Since times immemorial city and metro American police agencies have used full sized sedans with generally the smallest available engine, because lowered speed and acceleration have an infinitesimal negative effect on performance on urban roads, especially in contrast with the fuel savings generated by using a smaller engine.

Smaller engines do not always mean instant fuel savings, especially if the engine is under powered. You stick a small engine in a car as big and as heavy as a Crown Victoria and the result is a rather slow vehicle that doesn't save as much fuel.

I took the liberty of making a comparison between the Crown Victoria, Chevrolet Impala, Ford Taurus and Dodge Charger. Make what you want of the data provided.

And it has served them pretty good. Another advantage of the classic American police car is the body on frame construction which allows for cheap repairs (and modularity although this hasn't really been exploited a lot) .

There's no doubt in it's reliability. But it's old. It's slow. And there are superior vehicles now available to police departments.

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Founded: Mar 17, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:36 am

Costa Fierro wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:Since times immemorial city and metro American police agencies have used full sized sedans with generally the smallest available engine, because lowered speed and acceleration have an infinitesimal negative effect on performance on urban roads, especially in contrast with the fuel savings generated by using a smaller engine.

Smaller engines do not always mean instant fuel savings, especially if the engine is under powered. You stick a small engine in a car as big and as heavy as a Crown Victoria and the result is a rather slow vehicle that doesn't save as much fuel.

I took the liberty of making a comparison between the Crown Victoria, Chevrolet Impala, Ford Taurus and Dodge Charger. Make what you want of the data provided.

It's worth noting the differences in technology used in powerplant of each vehicle. The Taurus uses Ford's relatively modern Cyclone which is easily the better of the two V6s while the Impala uses an old pushrod engine that dates back to the 1980's, but the Impala can run on 3 cylinders. Same thing with the V8's; the Ford Modular engine has been relatively unchanged since the early 1990's while the Dodge uses Chrysler's Hemi, which isn't the most frugal engine around but was designed more than a decade later. These differences would contribute far more to fuel consumption than a smaller engine working with a larger car. In the real world and depending on one's driving style, you may find that smaller engines don't promise the fuel savings that you expect but in the standardized MPG tests, smaller engines tend to fare far better. It's just because of how these tests are actually done.
Last edited by Keyboard Warriors on Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:43 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:19 pm

OK, I suppose you are right, but choosing a small engine over a larger one should help with both initial acquisition costs and maintenance over time , no?
The Emerald Dawn wrote:I award you no points, and have sent people to make sure your parents refrain from further breeding.
Lyttenburgh wrote:all this is a damning enough evidence to proove you of being an edgy butthurt 'murican teenager with the sole agenda of prooving to the uncaring bitch Web, that "You Have A Point!"
Lyttenburgh wrote:Either that, or, you were gang-raped by commi-nazi russian Spetznaz kill team, who then painted all walls in your house in hammer and sickles, and then viped their asses with the stars and stripes banner in your yard. That's the only logical explanation.

The Akasha Colony
Postmaster-General

Founded: Apr 25, 2010
Left-Leaning College State

Postby The Akasha Colony » Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:45 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:OK, I suppose you are right, but choosing a small engine over a larger one should help with both initial acquisition costs and maintenance over time , no?

It may be cheaper up front, but if that smaller engine has to be pushed harder to move a heavier car, that won't be good for reliability.
A colony of the New Free Planets Alliance.
The primary MT nation of this account is the Republic of Carthage.
New Free Planets Alliance (FT)
New Terran Republic (FT)
Republic of Carthage (MT)
World Economic Union (MT)
Kaiserreich Europa Zentral (PT/MT)
Five Republics of Hanalua (FanT)
National Links: Factbook Entry | Embassy Program
Storefronts: Carthaginian Naval Export Authority [MT, Navy]

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:01 pm

The Akasha Colony wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:OK, I suppose you are right, but choosing a small engine over a larger one should help with both initial acquisition costs and maintenance over time , no?

It may be cheaper up front, but if that smaller engine has to be pushed harder to move a heavier car, that won't be good for reliability.

Well really, the smallest I was thinking of going for cars traditionally based around V8s would have been something like the new 2.3L I4 Ford EcoBoost which will be on the Lincoln MKC and Mustang, with 285HP and 310HP, respectively.

EDIT: Apparently the 2.0 L I4 EcoBoost is already available on the Taurus , which happens to be a full size sedan.

EDIT 2: Apparently they've put something as small as a 2.1L I4 201 HP diesel engine on something as humongous as the S Class (previous generation S 250 CDI)
Last edited by DnalweN acilbupeR on Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:11 pm, edited 3 times in total.

Fashiontopia
Senator

Founded: Aug 17, 2010
Ex-Nation

Postby Fashiontopia » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:13 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:

Well really, the smallest I was thinking of going for cars traditionally based around V8s would have been something like the new 2.3L I4 Ford EcoBoost which will be on the Lincoln MKC and Mustang, with 285HP and 310HP, respectively.

EDIT: Apparently the 2.0 L I4 EcoBoost is already available on the Taurus , which happens to be a full size sedan.

Just buy my Tempra King Alexander Police Vehicle which gives Police Departments the option of a V6, a Turbo Charged V6, a V8 and a Supercharged V8. We recommend the use of the Turbocharged V6 because when it needs to come alive it does on the throttle, but a cruising speeds it won't break the bank, yet has enough torque to move King Alexander which is made out of lightweight materials.
Song Release Journey: Dakar - "Dancin' Like Nobody"

Pre-Save Link for Apple Music or Spotify
Instagram | Tik Tok | Facebook | VK.com
President: Dakar
Capital: Anakin
Flag Meaning: a rising sun was crafted to represent freedom from the darkness of tyranny of previous forms of government. The bottom blue representing land and the wealth of beauty that is human life and integrity of duty and service. The top red showing the will and strength that comes from unity and courage. Lastly, the middle grey represents the meeting point between ideologies and setting arguments to the side for the good of others.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:18 pm

Fashiontopia wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Just buy my Tempra King Alexander Police Vehicle which gives Police Departments the option of a V6, a Turbo Charged V6, a V8 and a Supercharged V8. We recommend the use of the Turbocharged V6 because when it needs to come alive it does on the throttle, but a cruising speeds it won't break the bank, yet has enough torque to move King Alexander which is made out of lightweight materials.

You have so many cars lol, they're really cool and the storefront is too. I'd love to make it interactive if you're interested.

And really I would consider your offer but right now I'm kind of on hold as far as IC development is concerned, I'm just figuring out technical details and stuff for myself. Again if you'd like I'd love to help you make an interactive part to your storefront.

Fashiontopia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fashiontopia » Wed Jul 30, 2014 3:25 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Fashiontopia wrote:Just buy my Tempra King Alexander Police Vehicle which gives Police Departments the option of a V6, a Turbo Charged V6, a V8 and a Supercharged V8. We recommend the use of the Turbocharged V6 because when it needs to come alive it does on the throttle, but a cruising speeds it won't break the bank, yet has enough torque to move King Alexander which is made out of lightweight materials.

You have so many cars lol, they're really cool and the storefront is too. I'd love to make it interactive if you're interested.

And really I would consider your offer but right now I'm kind of on hold as far as IC development is concerned, I'm just figuring out technical details and stuff for myself. Again if you'd like I'd love to help you make an interactive part to your storefront.

Alright I'll shoot over a TG.

Flag Meaning: a rising sun was crafted to represent freedom from the darkness of tyranny of previous forms of government. The bottom blue representing land and the wealth of beauty that is human life and integrity of duty and service. The top red showing the will and strength that comes from unity and courage. Lastly, the middle grey represents the meeting point between ideologies and setting arguments to the side for the good of others.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:55 pm

Depends on the engine and the manufacturer. More basic and simple engines will be easier to maintain and be more reliable whereas more complicated engines will be more difficult and complicated to maintain, especially if everything is controlled via computer chips.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Wed Jul 30, 2014 4:58 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:

Depends on the engine and the manufacturer. More basic and simple engines will be easier to maintain and be more reliable whereas more complicated engines will be more difficult and complicated to maintain, especially if everything is controlled via computer chips.

Isn't everything in this day and age?

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:02 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

Indeed. But I'm sure your police force is funded well enough to overcome maintenance and fuel expenses anyway.

Padnak
Negotiator

Founded: Feb 19, 2014
Ex-Nation

Postby Padnak » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:04 pm

Organized States wrote:So, what are you guys' thoughts on Ford's new Police Interceptor? Good choice for my country? I've got a very large roadway/highway system...

Infurior in all ways to this
"มีใบมีดคมและจิตใจที่คมชัด!"
Have a sharp blade, and a sharper mind!
Need weapons for dubious purposes? Buy Padarm today!
San-Silvacian: Aug 11, 2011-Mar 20, 2015
Inquilabstan wrote:It is official now. Padnak is really Cobra Commander.

Bezombia wrote:It was about this time that Padnak slowly realized that the thread he thought was about gaming was, in fact, an eight story tall crustacean from the protozoic era.

Husseinarti wrote:Powered Borscht.

Because cosmonauts should never think that even in the depths of space they are free from the Soviet Union.

The Kievan People wrote:As usual, this is Padnak's fault, but we need to move on.

Immoren wrote:Again we've sexual tension that can be cut with a bowie.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Wed Jul 30, 2014 5:04 pm

Costa Fierro wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Indeed. But I'm sure your police force is funded well enough to overcome maintenance and fuel expenses anyway.

I was thinking about making bulletproofing a standard requirement lol

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:31 pm

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
The Akasha Colony wrote:

EDIT 2: Apparently they've put something as small as a 2.1L I4 201 HP diesel engine on something as humongous as the S Class (previous generation S 250 CDI)

The 2.0 version of the EcoBoost is a great engine, would be a great alternative to a V6.
Yes.

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Wed Jul 30, 2014 9:33 pm

Padnak wrote:
Organized States wrote:So, what are you guys' thoughts on Ford's new Police Interceptor? Good choice for my country? I've got a very large roadway/highway system...

Infurior in all ways to this

You can get a modern retake on those though
Yes.

Costa Fierro
Post Marshal

Ex-Nation

Postby Costa Fierro » Wed Jul 30, 2014 10:04 pm

Only until 2016. Ford will then close Australian production of the Falcon.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:21 am

Costa Fierro wrote:

Are full-size cars in Australia the equivalent of mid-size cars in the US?

Fashiontopia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fashiontopia » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:47 am

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

Good thing the Tempra King Charles has Bulletproof Front Doors and Bullet resistant windshields.

DnalweN acilbupeR
Negotiator

Ex-Nation

Postby DnalweN acilbupeR » Thu Jul 31, 2014 6:55 am

Fashiontopia wrote:
DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:

Good thing the Tempra King Charles has Bulletproof Front Doors and Bullet resistant windshields.

I was actually thinking thinking of going cab - engine - fuel tank but that is probably pretty wanky.

Fashiontopia
Senator

Ex-Nation

Postby Fashiontopia » Thu Jul 31, 2014 7:07 am

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Fashiontopia wrote:Good thing the Tempra King Charles has Bulletproof Front Doors and Bullet resistant windshields.

I was actually thinking thinking of going cab - engine - fuel tank but that is probably pretty wanky.

Oh yeah if you were to do all that you'd need a high torque V8... there's no way a 4Cyl or a 6Cyl would tote all that unless you went with Kevlar and I'm not sure how hot Kevlar can get before it's structural intergrity lowers. Really the doors and the windshield are all you need, you can replace police cars, but families can't replace husbands, sons, brothers and dads. Plus the only guns most criminals should have IF they are going to shoot at you is Handguns, maybe Shotguns, and if you're in an extremely bad situation 5.56 or 7.62 but those would be rare as criminals don't have $1000 to drop on an AR or even more than that to drop on Black Market automatics. Trained police should be able to eliminate dumb criminals really before they get more than one shot off.

Keyboard Warriors
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Keyboard Warriors » Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:05 am

DnalweN acilbupeR wrote:
Costa Fierro wrote:

Are full-size cars in Australia the equivalent of mid-size cars in the US?

No, Australian large cars are noticeably bigger than their Mondeo/Fusion and Malibu counterparts. GM Holden offers a long wheelbase version of their Commodore which, coincidentally, is exported to the US as the Chevrolet PPV.

On a side note, there's probably no need for bulletproofing at all, unless your police typically face off against criminals using large caliber firearms. It seems a bit of a waste, just personally.
Last edited by Keyboard Warriors on Thu Jul 31, 2014 10:09 am, edited 1 time in total.
Yes.

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information