NATION

PASSWORD

Guide to a Wiki-Style Factbook, Embassies, and Consulates

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

New Reutlingen
Diplomat

Founded: Apr 30, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby New Reutlingen » Sun May 17, 2015 10:51 am

Giovenith wrote:
New Reutlingen wrote:Sorry to be "that guy", but can some one link me a nation with really good factbooks so I can get a general idea of what I need to expand on?

The front page should have some good examples.

I'm not having trouble with making my factbooks, I'm just unsure of what to make factbooks of. The front page seems to be "this is how you do it", and not what to actually make them on.

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Sun May 17, 2015 10:57 am

New Reutlingen wrote:
Giovenith wrote:

I'm not having trouble with making my factbooks, I'm just unsure of what to make factbooks of. The front page seems to be "this is how you do it", and not what to actually make them on.

Whatever it is that goes on in your nation. What does your leader do, and what is his/her life like? What's geography of your nation like? What history lead to it being how it is today? How does it's religion interact with it's government? That kind of stuff.

I would recommend skimming several real Wikipedia entries on actual countries to get a good gist of what kind of information is generally recorded.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Alosteq Diin Nastja
Minister

Founded: Oct 03, 2013
Ex-Nation

Postby Alosteq Diin Nastja » Sun May 17, 2015 11:01 am

Jute wrote:I think my factbook now is longer than the example :P
Has less images, though. And I could include some tables, I guess?
http://www.nationstates.net/nation=jute ... /id=308624

I'd definitely make tables in the demographics and cities sections.
☆ marxist-leninist ☆
hands off venezuela! solidarity with maduro!

Jute
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jan 28, 2014
Scandinavian Liberal Paradise

Postby Jute » Sun May 17, 2015 11:39 am

Alosteq Diin Nastja wrote:
Jute wrote:I think my factbook now is longer than the example :P
Has less images, though. And I could include some tables, I guess?
http://www.nationstates.net/nation=jute ... /id=308624

I'd definitely make tables in the demographics and cities sections.

Yeah, I'd been planning to do that, actually...
Edit: Done now: http://www.nationstates.net/nation=jute ... /id=308624
New Reutlingen wrote:
Giovenith wrote:

The factbook template gives a few examples. Copy and paste it and follow the instructions.
Last edited by Jute on Mon May 18, 2015 4:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
that sense of elation and humility combined, is surely spiritual...
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
Italios wrote:Jute's probably some sort of Robin Hood-type outlaw
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

S S R
Lobbyist

Founded: Feb 10, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby S S R » Tue May 19, 2015 2:06 pm

Please join THE CONFEDERACY OF KTS or make a embassy with us, great if you love role play or war. :)

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Tue May 19, 2015 2:27 pm

S S R wrote:Please join THE CONFEDERACY OF KTS or make a embassy with us, great if you love role play or war. :)

Not the place to do this.
Carl Sagan, astrophysicist and atheist wrote:"Science is not only compatible with spirituality; it is a profound source of spirituality.
When we recognize our place in an immensity of light-years and in the passage of ages,
when we grasp the intricacy, beauty, and subtlety of life, then that soaring feeling,
The notion that science and spirituality are somehow mutually exclusive does a disservice to both."
"Boys and girls so happy, young and gay / Don't let false worldly joy carry your hearts away."

See the Jutean language! Talk to me about all. Avian air force flag (via) Is Religion Dangerous?

Greater New Finland
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: May 19, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Greater New Finland » Wed May 20, 2015 12:44 am

Last edited by Greater New Finland on Wed May 20, 2015 12:45 am, edited 1 time in total.

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Wed May 20, 2015 2:46 am

Greater New Finland wrote:Hows mine?
http://www.nationstates.net/nation=greater_new_finland/detail=factbook/id=424099
I rushed it in a few hours :P

I can tell... You didn't even bother to edit out all the [edit]s when copying from Wikipedia... and the images in the sidebar are so huge they take up almost all the width of the screen on my computer. Did you actually do anything yourself?

Todlichebujoku
Senator

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Todlichebujoku » Wed May 20, 2015 2:16 pm

Jute wrote:
http://www.nationstates.net/nation=greater_new_finland/detail=factbook/id=424099

I can tell... You didn't even bother to edit out all the [edit]s when copying from Wikipedia... and the images in the sidebar are so huge they take up almost all the width of the screen on my computer. Did you actually do anything yourself?

I love all the citations [1]
早晨!ToBu for short.
[violet] wrote:You are my go-to nation for long names.
Oct 16 2018- Indo States wrote:YOU'RE FALSE TOBU
Apr 21 2020- Llalta wrote:omg tobu you’ve literally given me asthma with ur art

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Wed May 20, 2015 2:58 pm

Todlichebujoku wrote:
Jute wrote:I can tell... You didn't even bother to edit out all the [edit]s when copying from Wikipedia... and the images in the sidebar are so huge they take up almost all the width of the screen on my computer. Did you actually do anything yourself?

I love all the citations [1]

What?

Giovenith
Retired Moderator

Founded: Feb 08, 2012
Left-wing Utopia

Postby Giovenith » Wed May 20, 2015 3:41 pm

I would shrink a few images so the left block doesn't squeeze the text.
⟡ and in time, and in time, we will all be stars ⟡
she/her

Todlichebujoku
Senator

Founded: Feb 24, 2012
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Todlichebujoku » Wed May 20, 2015 6:42 pm

Jute wrote:
Todlichebujoku wrote:I love all the citations [1]

What?

The citations that got copied along with everything else. You can find them when you see [5]
早晨!ToBu for short.
[violet] wrote:You are my go-to nation for long names.
Oct 16 2018- Indo States wrote:YOU'RE FALSE TOBU
Apr 21 2020- Llalta wrote:omg tobu you’ve literally given me asthma with ur art

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Thu May 21, 2015 8:42 am

Todlichebujoku wrote:
Jute wrote:What?

The citations that got copied along with everything else. You can find them when you see [5]

Yeah, shows how much (or little) effort went into it...

Liberty and Alderney
Minister

Founded: Apr 09, 2015
Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty and Alderney » Fri May 22, 2015 4:07 am

Anyone here with ideas on how to improve this. I'm just not sure what to add. (yes, I know my economy section is missing and yes I am working on it...it is taking a lot longer than expected.)
YOUR UBER IS HERE
̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿ ______________________ ̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿
What this nation was like during 2017Spread the web loveBut for real, this is my IC flagMe irl for real this time

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Fri May 22, 2015 4:16 am

Liberty and Alderney wrote:Anyone here with ideas on how to improve this. I'm just not sure what to add. (yes, I know my economy section is missing and yes I am working on it...it is taking a lot longer than expected.)

Take a look at mine (http://www.nationstates.net/nation=jute ... /id=308624) and see what else is missing? That would be things like Etymology (of your nation's name), Demographics, including things like Population, Language, Religion (or lack thereof), Ethnicity, Largest Cities, Foreign Relations and Military, Society, Infrastructure and Energy. Of course, it's up to you which you want to add. (You might want to correct the spelling of "cuisine", though :P )
Otherwise, just expand the sections and give more details, I guess?
Would you need help with your economy section, by the way? I'd be willing to help, though I have a vastly different, moneyless economy...

Liberty and Alderney
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty and Alderney » Fri May 22, 2015 4:21 am

Jute wrote:
Liberty and Alderney wrote:Anyone here with ideas on how to improve this. I'm just not sure what to add. (yes, I know my economy section is missing and yes I am working on it...it is taking a lot longer than expected.)

Take a look at mine (http://www.nationstates.net/nation=jute ... /id=308624) and see what else is missing? That would be things like Etymology (of your nation's name), Demographics, including things like Population, Language, Religion (or lack thereof), Ethnicity, Largest Cities, Foreign Relations and Military, Society, Infrastructure and Energy. Of course, it's up to you which you want to add. (You might want to correct the spelling of "cuisine", though :P )
Would you need help with your economy section, by the way? I'd be willing to help, though I have a vastly different, moneyless economy...

You make great suggestions and I honestly think my main problem is that I do not know what "Liberty and Alderney" is. Currently I'm just going off the GTAIV depiction of 4 islands that make up an expy of New York City and Jersey City but there are also apparently more to both states that are not in game, so I don't know what to do other than just assume it would be the same as the rest of New York State/New Jersey. Treating this as a New York City clone by itself instead of two entire states will drastically alter the content, so I guess honestly I gotta go back to square one and think about it. Thanks anyways Jute.
YOUR UBER IS HERE
̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿ ______________________ ̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿ ̿̿̿ ̿̿̿̿ ̿̿ ̿̿̿̿̿
What this nation was like during 2017Spread the web loveBut for real, this is my IC flagMe irl for real this time

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Fri May 22, 2015 4:29 am

Liberty and Alderney wrote:
Jute wrote:Take a look at mine (http://www.nationstates.net/nation=jute ... /id=308624) and see what else is missing? That would be things like Etymology (of your nation's name), Demographics, including things like Population, Language, Religion (or lack thereof), Ethnicity, Largest Cities, Foreign Relations and Military, Society, Infrastructure and Energy. Of course, it's up to you which you want to add. (You might want to correct the spelling of "cuisine", though :P )

You make great suggestions and I honestly think my main problem is that I do not know what "Liberty and Alderney" is. Currently I'm just going off the GTAIV depiction of 4 islands that make up an expy of New York City and Jersey City but there are also apparently more to both states that are not in game, so I don't know what to do other than just assume it would be the same as the rest of New York State/New Jersey. Treating this as a New York City clone by itself instead of two entire states will drastically alter the content, so I guess honestly I gotta go back to square one and think about it. Thanks anyways Jute.

No problem. You could try to be creative and describe the two states in a way as they might appear in GTA IV?

Liberty and Alderney
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty and Alderney » Fri May 22, 2015 4:35 am

Jute wrote:
Liberty and Alderney wrote:You make great suggestions and I honestly think my main problem is that I do not know what "Liberty and Alderney" is. Currently I'm just going off the GTAIV depiction of 4 islands that make up an expy of New York City and Jersey City but there are also apparently more to both states that are not in game, so I don't know what to do other than just assume it would be the same as the rest of New York State/New Jersey. Treating this as a New York City clone by itself instead of two entire states will drastically alter the content, so I guess honestly I gotta go back to square one and think about it. Thanks anyways Jute.

No problem. You could try to be creative and describe the two states in a way as they might appear in GTA IV?

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense. I honestly think I should stick to whatever lets me make the most jokes and overall self written content, not just fill in some arbitrary "gotta outline my entire economy" and "gotta steal random statistics from wikipedia and put them here".

And you you know what? I actaully think I should start over, with more snark and a much more less formal stucture than a wiki-style factbook can allow me. I think I just saw everyone else with awesome wiki factbooks and I rushed to copy them, but I guess if I ditch the formatting I can get much more freedom. It still will be informative though so you knows. Thanks a bunch Jute.
YOUR UBER IS HERE

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Fri May 22, 2015 4:41 am

Jute wrote:No problem. You could try to be creative and describe the two states in a way as they might appear in GTA IV?

Yeah, I suppose that makes sense. I honestly think I should stick to whatever lets me make the most jokes and overall self written content, not just fill in some arbitrary "gotta outline my entire economy" and "gotta steal random statistics from wikipedia and put them here".

And you you know what? I actaully think I should start over, with more snark and a much more less formal stucture than a wiki-style factbook can allow me. I think I just saw everyone else with awesome wiki factbooks and I rushed to copy them, but I guess if I ditch the formatting I can get much more freedom. It still will be informative though so you knows. Thanks a bunch Jute.

No problem! :P I didn't even use Wikipedia as an direct inspiration, only for reference at a few points. Everything else is more or less "original" (of course it's still inspired by some things like Freetown Christiania and such) and writing it yourself is in my opinion much more fun and gives a much greater feeling if accomplishment in the end. :)
I just like having rough outlines, that's why I like this factbook template. Saves me the trouble of formatting it nicely, too :P
What do you plan to do now?

Liberty and Alderney
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Liberty and Alderney » Fri May 22, 2015 4:43 am

Jute wrote:
Liberty and Alderney wrote:Yeah, I suppose that makes sense. I honestly think I should stick to whatever lets me make the most jokes and overall self written content, not just fill in some arbitrary "gotta outline my entire economy" and "gotta steal random statistics from wikipedia and put them here".

No problem! :P I didn't even use Wikipedia as an direct inspiration, only for reference at a few points. Everything else is more or less "original" (of course it's still inspired by some things like Freetown Christiania and such) and writing it yourself is in my opinion much more fun and gives a much greater feeling if accomplishment in the end. :)
I just like having rough outlines, that's why I like this factbook template. Saves me the trouble of formatting it nicely, too :P

Honestly, what to keep and what to discard from the factbook I do have. I still love some of it and other parts I think can be better with changes. But I think I'll work on it later, got some other things to take care of.
YOUR UBER IS HERE

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Fri May 22, 2015 5:54 am

Jute wrote:No problem! :P I didn't even use Wikipedia as an direct inspiration, only for reference at a few points. Everything else is more or less "original" (of course it's still inspired by some things like Freetown Christiania and such) and writing it yourself is in my opinion much more fun and gives a much greater feeling if accomplishment in the end. :)

Honestly, what to keep and what to discard from the factbook I do have. I still love some of it and other parts I think can be better with changes. But I think I'll work on it later, got some other things to take care of.

Alright, message me when you need help again :)

Koharu
Secretary

Founded: May 12, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Koharu » Wed May 27, 2015 12:21 pm

Thanks for this template information. Thanks to you I can make a nice and neat page for my nation.

Haruto IV

Marty
Secretary

Founded: Nov 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Marty » Fri May 29, 2015 10:20 am

Thanks a bundle.

Alvisiror
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Jun 03, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Alvisiror » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:01 am

Is there a way of making the factbook available in several languages just like on Wikipedia you can choose the language of the article?
I plan to write it in the official languages of my nation so making it available only in English wouldn't make sense.
Our main religion is atheism but all other religions are respected.
My Factbook
When I am RPing with you I may use different Army Ranks
I am atheist
Anti-Non prescription drugs (weed, meth, cocaine e.t.c)
Anti-LGBT and transgender/transexual
Pro-Choice within reason
Pro-Death Penalty
I support the US Second Amendment
If you got a problem with any of this than too bad you don't have to like me
5 Peace
4 Battle Ready
3 War
2 WMD use authorized
1 You don't want to know
Economic Left/Right: -2.88
Social Libertarian/Authoritarian: -0.46

IATA Member

Jute
Postmaster-General

Postby Jute » Sat Jun 06, 2015 11:15 am

Alvisiror wrote:Is there a way of making the factbook available in several languages just like on Wikipedia you can choose the language of the article?
I plan to write it in the official languages of my nation so making it available only in English wouldn't make sense.

Write the same factbook several times and then link to each version from inside it?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information