NATION

PASSWORD

Main Military Weapon of your Country: Pattern VIII (Read OP)

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]

Advertisement

Remove ads

Who will OP MMW Number 9?

Nua Corda
39%
Kouralia
13%
Spreewerke
24%
Coltarin
11%
Aqizithiuda
13%

Total votes : 193

Idaho Conservatives
Minister

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Idaho Conservatives » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:43 pm

I wonder: Is the round count in the Mess Webley (4 shots fired so far) accurate?

Oh hey, I topped the page

Last edited by Idaho Conservatives on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way" --General George S. Patton

If You're A Fellow Ham, TG me!!!
KF7LCE

Spreewerke
Postmaster-General

Founded: Oct 16, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Spreewerke » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:43 pm

Samozaryadnyastan wrote:
Puzikas wrote:
I seen it, with my own two eyes I did!

During training, someone loaded their pistol for the entry. At no fault of their own, the pistol suddenly discharged into the rear of the man in front of him, into his helmet. It was an AP load too! And you know what? That guy had a headache, but managed to beat the shit out of that poor fuck who had the weapon malfunction.

Why was he pointing a loaded and chambered handgun at the guy's helmet?

Perhaps he was muzzle up, slide-partially back to chamber-check before entry. Closed slide, had ND while handgun was pointed at person in front of him.

Also, relevant:

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:44 pm

Idaho Conservatives wrote:I wonder: Is the round count in the Mess Webley (4 shots fired so far) accurate?

Mess Webley, third drawer on the right.

Transnapastain
Retired Moderator

Founded: Antiquity
Compulsory Consumerist State

Postby Transnapastain » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:49 pm

Idaho Conservatives wrote:I wonder: Is the round count in the Mess Webley (4 shots fired so far) accurate?

It looks like it to me, four shots fired, two round remaining. Its a 6 shot, is it not?

Though how you shoot yourself more than once when "avoiding the Red tape" instead of facing The Boss, is beyond me.

The Republic of Lanos wrote:

Mess Webley, third drawer on the right.

....its not funny when its not deserved...

The Republic of Lanos
Post Marshal

Founded: Apr 17, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby The Republic of Lanos » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:50 pm

Transnapastain wrote:....its not funny when its not deserved...

Shit, I thought it was.

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:56 pm

ASKING QUESTIONS WHEN NOT DESIGNATED TIME OF QUESTIONING IS ILLEGAL.

MESS WEBLEY. NOW.
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░░▀█▄
░░█░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░█▀
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░▐▌
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
▐█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

Idaho Conservatives
Minister

Founded: Jul 27, 2009
Ex-Nation

Postby Idaho Conservatives » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:56 pm

Transnapastain wrote:

It looks like it to me, four shots fired, two round remaining. Its a 6 shot, is it not?

Yeah, does that mean that we have had four members on here fall victim to it?

Also, what does that little plaque say: For the gentlemen of the main military weapon thread....???

I'm reading waaayyyy too much into this.
"Lead me, follow me, or get out of my way" --General George S. Patton

If You're A Fellow Ham, TG me!!!
KF7LCE

Lolzieristan
Minister

Founded: Jun 28, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Lolzieristan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:58 pm

Spreewerke wrote:
Samozaryadnyastan wrote:Why was he pointing a loaded and chambered handgun at the guy's helmet?

Perhaps he was muzzle up, slide-partially back to chamber-check before entry. Closed slide, had ND while handgun was pointed at person in front of him.

Also, relevant:

And no one even looks over at him.
Last edited by Lolzieristan on Wed Apr 03, 2013 8:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Sometimes I'm reading through military threads here, and I stop and think "What the hell is wrong with all of us?" But then I get on Facebook, and realize I'd rather be insane than an idiot.
04/17/13: Got my wish, it seems, in terms of major depressive disorder. I'm sorry to everyone for any inactivity, it's...well, hard.

Ulfr-Reich
Minister

Founded: Aug 14, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Ulfr-Reich » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:02 pm

San-Silvacian wrote:ASKING QUESTIONS WHEN NOT DESIGNATED TIME OF QUESTIONING IS ILLEGAL.

MESS WEBLEY. NOW.

What is this, North Fucking Korea?
Asatruar (bloody-well proud of it) | Ethnogeography & Migratory Anthropology/Linguistics Researcher (In my spare time) | Actual Jarlist| And yes, I am vehemently anti-pony/brony | Borderline FanT/NightmareT, very Norse/Proto-Germanic/Gothic| Æþalatsheim = http://www.nationstates.net/nation=aethal.

RIP Rhoderberg
14/9/2013 - 15/8/2015
May your spirit live on in FALhalla.

Samozaryadnyastan
Post Marshal

Founded: Mar 08, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby Samozaryadnyastan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:03 pm

Ulfr-Reich wrote:
San-Silvacian wrote:ASKING QUESTIONS WHEN NOT DESIGNATED TIME OF QUESTIONING IS ILLEGAL.

MESS WEBLEY. NOW.

SOON...
Sapphire's WA Regional Delegate.
Call me Para.
In IC, I am to be referred to as The People's Republic of Samozniy Russia
Malgrave wrote:You are secretly Vladimir Putin using this forum to promote Russian weapons and tracking down and killing those who oppose you.
^ trufax
Samozniy foreign industry will one day return...
I unfortunately don't RP.
Puppets: The Federal Republic of the Samozniy Space Corps (PMT) and The Indomitable Orthodox Empire of Imperializt Russia (PT).
Take the Furry Test today!

San-Silvacian
Postmaster-General

Founded: Aug 11, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby San-Silvacian » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:07 pm

Ulfr-Reich wrote:

MESS WEBLEY. NOW.

NO!

THIS IS MAIN MILITARY WEAPON OF YOUR COUNTRY: PATTERN VIII (READ OP).

NORTH KOREA IS A SUN HAPPY FUNTIME CAMP COMPARED TO MMW
░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▄▄▄▄▄
░░░█░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░▀▀▀▄░░░░▐█░░░░░░░░░▄▀█▀▀▄░░░▀█▄
░░█░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░░▀░░░▐█░░░░░░░░▀░▐▌( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)▐▌░░█▀
░▐▌░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░░░░░░▐█▄▄░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▀░░░░░▐▌
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█▄░░░▄█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░▐▌░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀███▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▐▌
░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄░░░░░░░░░░▄▀░░░░░░░░░░░░█
░░░█░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░░▀▄▄▄▄▄▄▄▀▀░░░░░░░░░░░░░█

Nua Corda
Powerbroker

Founded: Jul 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Nua Corda » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:07 pm

San-Silvacian wrote:
Ulfr-Reich wrote:

NO!

If I had room in my sig, this would be in it.
Call me Corda.
Sarcasm Warning! This post may not be entirely serious
Bullpups, Keymod and Magpul, oh my!
Bong Hits for Jesus!
Like Sci-Fi? Like Worldbuilding? Check out the Uprising Project!
Renegade for Life|Gun-toting Liberal. Because fuck stereotypes|Your friendly neighborhood gun nerd. Ask me anything!|Shameless Mass Effect Fan. I like Quarians a bit more than I should...|This nation is not a nation, and may or may not represent my views|I have been known to draw guns for folks, occasionally
Because people care, right?

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:12 pm

Nua Corda wrote:
San-Silvacian wrote:
NO!

If I had room in my sig, this would be in it.

I did it for you. Is to funny.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

The Archangel Conglomerate
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 10, 2011
Ex-Nation

Postby The Archangel Conglomerate » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:20 pm

Aqizithiuda wrote:Was there anything in particular that you didn't understand or that I could explain more clearly?

By the way, this might be of interest to you: http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/736856.pdf

It basically describes how to coat small caliber gun bores with tungsten for improved wear and resistance to erosion.

Not really. The more I read through it, the more it makes sense. It's actually rather simple and well thought out.

I do, however, find out humorous that you, in you're spare time, built a cartridge that would have easily outperformed the GSHG's 4.73x33mm cartridge.

Thank you for the link, I look forward to reading it.
(\/)(•,,,,•)(\/)
Please, call me Arch

Nirvash Type TheEND wrote:For want of lances, the heavy equipment never reached the field.

For want of heavy equipment the platoons FOs could direct no HMGs.

For want of HMGs, the Archians had to rely on shitty fucking microcalibers.

For want of real weapons, they lost the war.

Black Hand
Senator

Founded: Apr 17, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Black Hand » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:20 pm

Spreewerke wrote:Oh boy.

Black Hand wrote:The greatest advantages of high velocity are accuracy and not just level flight. At higher velocities it becomes easier to adjust for range and movement, the shooter becomes harder to detect (sound Crack-thump) and finally penetrative power a small projectile carrying a lot of velocity has a lot of force concentrated into one very small area with very little air resistance. just one moment, Spree, Puz, I apologize for what I'm about to do. The AKM uses the 7.62X39 The M16 uses 5.56x45 the M16 has a few advantages ammunition wise it has less recoil and more accuracy as well as a greater possibility to tumble this makes the M16 (when it worked) a superior weapon. This was evaluated and studied and later developed into the 5.45X39mm that is now used in the AK-74 the ammunition is smaller, lighter, and faster allowing it to be more accurate with less recoil and have a similar effect while being able to carry more ammo with the same weight. note that this was before body armor was even really an issue (Vietnam flak jacket does not count for more reasons than one) the AP capabilities only became a concern later and frankly when you hit an unarmored target with an bullet the damage is going to be bad... very bad.

M67 7.62x39mm says, "wut?"

M67: increased penetration of 7.62x39mm, tumbling/yaw effect of 5.45x39mm.

sorry I have my failures...many, many failures. while I know a reasonable amount regarding ammunition overall I know little about specific variants of the ammunition (note: i persoanlly believe that the 7.62X51 is the best "rifle" round and that the 7.62X39 is the Best intermediate round) The AKM Is a fully capable assault rifle but the the possibility of creating a small round such as a 3mm or smaller that can achieve a velocity in the area of 1700-2700 m/s will be able to rip through armor plate, walls and even vehicles. At these speeds even drop is negligible and compensating for movement is a none issue leaving only air resistance and stabilization as difficulties terrifyingly nothing involving this is impossible with modern technology it merely lacks the necessary attention and funding. the goal of such a weapon is to punch nice neat holes in targets at long ranges this style of weapon is perfect for snipers. however in the modern world urban warfare is much more common and as such weapons like the AKM are far superior as they have the power and accuracy necessary for these ranges without an extreme cost or recoil (to get such a round moving at those speeds would require quite the load)
EDIT: I found room for it in my sig
Last edited by Black Hand on Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:23 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Servus patriae
C&C Based PMT
Pax Per potestatem
I live in a World all my own.
Puzikas wrote:You clearly don't know about the baby bald eagle built into each one.
Dumb Ideologies wrote:Why is there a "joke option" included in the poll when "yes" is already there?

Fordorsia wrote:Sight rib? Like a barbecue?

Fordorsia wrote:Why sell the restored weapons when you can keep them in a military-themed sex dungeon?

San-Silvacian wrote:Nothing says I love you like a fine Belgian firearm.

Bezombia wrote: "glorious discharge"

Ulfr-Reich
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ulfr-Reich » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:44 pm

OH, gentlemen, I am designing an 88mm recoiless rifle, wish me luck!
Asatruar (bloody-well proud of it) | Ethnogeography & Migratory Anthropology/Linguistics Researcher (In my spare time) | Actual Jarlist| And yes, I am vehemently anti-pony/brony | Borderline FanT/NightmareT, very Norse/Proto-Germanic/Gothic| Æþalatsheim = http://www.nationstates.net/nation=aethal.

RIP Rhoderberg
14/9/2013 - 15/8/2015

Lyras
Ambassador

Founded: Jul 26, 2004
Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lyras » Wed Apr 03, 2013 9:47 pm

The Lyran primary military weapon is the following:

LY21 Advanced High Lethality Assault Rifle (AHLAR)

Weight: 3.6 kg (unloaded), 4.4 kg (loaded)
Length: 710mm
Barrel length: 450mm
Cartridge: 6.3 x 40mm Lyran Caseless (6.3mm LCL)
Action: gas operated, electrically fired rotary breech
Rate of fire: 650rpm (cyclic)
Muzzle velocity: 880 m/s
Effective range: 500 m
Max range: 800 m
Feed system: 60 rd detachable box
Sights: Aperture rear, hooded post front. Picatinny rails allow alternates.

Abstract
The LY21 Advanced High Lethality Assault Rifle (AHLAR) [pronounced – ‘a-LAR’, as in ‘alarm’] is a short-stroke, balanced automatic, electrically-fired, light weight, robust, high capacity weapon chambered in 6.3x40mm Lyran Caseless (6.3 LCL), designed and built by the Protectorate of Lyras.

Background, development and conceptualisation
As more and more weapons, of varying quality, flooded the international markets, many in Lyras chose to take the dearth of poor quality or ambiguous weapons as indication that in-service Lyran weaponry was sufficient. Others took developments overseas as indicative of continued pressure, reasoning, not incorrectly, that developments and upgrades, especially amongst the major powers, were likely to continue, and that Lyran parity in small arms was insufficient, and overmatch, if practical, was preferable. In depth analysis of variant thought in firearms design, and prototype evaluation of a host of exotic and rare small arms was conducted, and a broad inter-Order panel was formulated to examine the practicality of many innovations.
Discussions of many possibilities went on for quite some time, and disputes were often heated. Over the course of the weapon’s development three scientists died in a pair of duels when tempers boiled over. In one of those two instances, when the challenge was issued it was discovered that both challengers were pilots, and had each nominated an aerial duel as their preferred resolution. The duel was conducted in cannon-armed LY909 Sparrowhawks over a 200x200km area, and was decided by a mid-air collision which claimed both lives. As a result of the setbacks incurred by the LY21 project as a result of these three fatalities, an Executive Inquiry was commenced into the impact of legislatively supervised duels within Lyras, and its findings have yet to be released.

Despite this, and other setbacks, progress on the weapon continued to enjoy broad Executive-Command-level support and by mid 2010 (several years into the program) the design was firming up.
While not revolutionary in any sense, the LY21 was certainly unusual, with its amalgamation of a number of modern and innovative small arms developments producing a distinctive weapon, which is intended to function as the mainstay of the Protectorate’s infantry arsenal for some time.

Construction
As is the case with small arms design anywhere, attempts to minimise carried weight and improve handiness and portability are in conflict with measures designed to optimise the weapon’s capacity to generate sustained, accurate and effective fire. Lessons learned from the LY46 ‘Hellhammer’ .50LCL handgun have, where applicable, been transferred to the LY21, foremost amongst them being an unusual blend of light and heavy construction in different areas of the weapon.
The majority of the weapon’s body is made of high-durability, lightweight, impact-resistant fibreglass-reinforced polyamide. This comes in a high-grip matte finish, with a variety of colours or camouflage patterns available.
The working parts and majority of the gas system are tungsten primarily for its very high heat tolerance, which improves the weapon’s performance and sustained accuracy.
The barrel is cold hammer-forged steel, and is chrome lined, with a 1 in 10 rifling twist.
Internal electrics are composed of Indium Gallium Arsenide, selected despite its higher cost over silicon for its extremely high resistance to electromagnetic pulse attack. Circuitry is further protected by kraton insulation, to further improve electromagnetic resilience. Given the very-short lengths of wiring, however, this was never likely to be a problem, in any case.
Sundries are generally composed of synthetics, to keep the weapon’s weight down as far as practical, given the parameters of performance. This is a marked difference from the otherwise conceptually not-dissimilar G11, which made far greater use of metals in its construction, and has a physically far more complex operating system.

Ammunition
While Lyran experience with caseless ammunition in the LY46 has been of some use in developing the 6.3x40mm rounds that feed the LY21, the notable differences between the platforms has made the 6.3LCL quite different from the .50LCL round in most regards.
While the .50LCL uses a denatured hexogen propellant, the 6.3LCL is a 78% RDX, 12% cellulose acetate (CA), 5.8% triacetin(TA), 4% low-nitrogen content nitrocellulose, 0.2% cardamite mix. The CA is used as an energetic binder, with the TA serving as the CA’s plasticiser to improve the propellant block’s cohesion. 6.3LCL, by virtue of its unique composition, is an extremely low vulnerability ammunition, and does not ignite even at 350C, although starts producing yellow fumes at 220C. In contrast, conventional nitrocellulose propellant ignites at temperatures slightly below 175C. Despite the usage of caseless ammunition, 6.3LCL is actually less likely to cook-off than conventional ammunition.
Further, at 1097J/g, the 6.3LCL’s propellant is marginally superior to conventional ammunition propellant in energy terms.
Care has been taken in production to keep the plasticiser percentage below 6%, as irregular combustion becomes more prominent as TA increases.
Theoretical prediction of the ballistic performance of this formulation indicates it can achieve marginally superior ballistics for propellant loading, relative to existing nitrocellulose compositions.
Combustible cellulose end-caps ensure that the projectile and primer sit properly within the round, and disintegrate during firing.
6.3LCL rounds are compliant with the CL6 standard, and are suitable for usage in any weapon with a chamber pressure of 500MPa or better, and an electric ignition. (i.e., CL6 is a broad standard, CL6-40.EC5 is a particular specification it provides, "EC5" standing for electric current ignition, 500 MPa pressure limit, and 6.3LCL is a specific round compliant with it).
6.3LCL comes in two primary variants. The baseline is a hardened steel core, lead-base round optimised for lethality at all ranges and conditions, issued as standard, and similar in terminal effects to the JMC Mk5 that Lyran soldiers are already familiar with.
The second, the 6.3LCLTC is a tungsten-carbide-cored, armour-piercing round, designed for use against armies fielding personnel with high-end body armour as standard.

Operating and feed system and recoil attenuation
The LY21 is, in most respects, a reasonable conventional closed-bolt, balanced-automatic, short-stroke gas-operated assault rifle. The weapon’s caseless nature removes the requirement for ejection of cases during normal operation, which removes the step from the operating cycle.
The cocking handle is located on the left side of the weapon, and serves to load a round into the chamber, and can also be used to eject rounds in the chamber via the ejection port on the right hand side of the weapon.

The LY21’s balanced-automatic system is based on utilisation of the propellant gases to drive not just the piston which drives the bolt rearward towards battery, but also to push a secondary piston and counterweight in the opposite direction, ie towards the muzzle. The mechanics are such that as the bolt reaches the furthest rearward part of its recoiling (thus impacting the rubber pads of the interior of the butt plate), the counterweight also reaches the end point of its forward movement. This 'balanced recoil' action noticeably decreases felt recoil and thus improves controllability and accuracy in fully automatic or rapid-semiautomatic firing.

Borrowing from the LY20, the rubber pads described above are of further relevance if a silencer is fitted, as this padding also significantly reduces the sound produced by the bolt and piston assemblies impacting their respective stops, circumventing the tell-tale 'click-click-click' sound of silenced automatic weapons fire.

The magazine and feed systems of the LY21 has been through a number of refinements. Initial attempts were similar in operation to that of the G11 light support weapon prototypes designed by Heckler and Koch in the late 1980s. Large capacity magazines, with multiple magazine wells, fed an asymmetric, off magazine-axis chamber. The feed path from these variants is shown below.

While innovative, the magazine’s complexity added to its weight, increased it (and the weapon’s own) fragility, and detracted from magazine and platform reliability. Subsequent to that, a new design with a more conventionally laid out three-well single-stacked magazine, and a dramatically simplified feed path, was employed. While longer, and thinner, the magazine is considerably simpler in operation, and savings in weight and reliability were considered worth the weapon’s taller profile. The magazine features three single-stacked magazine wells, with the rounds oriented towards the muzzle of the weapon. The bolt feeds first the right well, then, once the right well is empty, the magazine catch at the bottom of the well causes the bolt to rotate as it moves forward, thus feeding from the centre well, and the same occurs to feed from the left once the central well is exhausted. Once the left well is empty, the magazine catch prevents the weapon from locking forward, which makes for a slightly faster reload time by a trained operator.
The profile is, however, not as much taller as would otherwise be thought, with the simplified pathing contributing to a smaller chamber and less extensive bolt and action.
LY21 magazines are about 50% longer than a conventional 30rnd 5.56mm STANAG magazine, but only fractionally wider, which allows for easy carriage on chest webbing or similar. The light-weight, high-strength, semi-transparent plastic magazine, with readily delineated notches, also provides for easy assessment of the number of remaining rounds, should the shooter lose count (an easy prospect, given the high-capacity magazines).

Recoil mitigation was a factor considered early on in the LY21’s design, and lessons learned on both the LY20 and LY46 were considered. The bolt-carrier assembly moves rearwards into heavy duty recoil springs, which absorb an appreciable portion of the contact/impact with the back of the weapon.
Further, use of the patented Pachmayr-designed 'Decelerator' handgrips, approved for the LY46, has been approved also for the LY21. Decelerator grips feature ergonomic finger grooves, carefully machined tactile palm grips, and a patented soft-durable rubber composite. A full-potency muzzle-brake, mostly hidden behind the forward elements of the weapon’s furnishings, deflects propellant gases upward and sideways, counteracting some of the rifle’s rearward motion, and also serving in a capacity as a flash suppressor. This muzzle-brake is internally threaded for use with silencers or sound-suppressors, and is designed to also prevent the propellant gases from kicking up dust in and around the shooter’s location, even from the basic-prone firing position.

Trigger/safety mechanism
Due to the AHLAR’s implementation of low vulnerability caseless ammunition, the LY21 uses an electronic trigger, rather than the conventional firing pin/percussion cap layout, to ignite the propellant and release a round. The electrical ignition grants lock times at approximately 20 microseconds; a considerable improvement on mechanical lock times, in addition to the other benefits. Fewer moving parts, and no mass shift during firing also improves accuracy and decreases component wear. Twin 15-volt lithium ion polymer batteries, located in the lower portion of the butt, allow it to fire approximately 5,000 rounds without replacement or recharge. The battery charge status can be displayed through the multi-function battlesight by activation of the appropriate switch on the sighting system, and a plug can serve as a recharge point, from any standard AC or DC power source, including those featured on most Lyran AFVs. The battery’s are loaded from the rear of the butt, and can be changed in about 20 seconds, should the need arise.

Like all Lyran weapons, the LY21 uses a dual-pressure trigger system. Pulling the trigger to the first pressure (2.1 kg) fires semi-automatically, but pulling the trigger to the second trigger pressure (4.5kg) produces automatic fire. This system, similar to that featured on the Austrian Steyr AUG, enables the operator to employ either semi-automatic or automatic fire without adjusting the weapon in any way, or breaking the firing position. A single-shot lockout stud, located below the trigger, can be pulled out to prevent the trigger being pulled rearward to the second pressure, and thus will prevent accidental employment of automatic fire. The stud can be pushed back into the trigger, thus re-allowing automatic fire, by a split-second movement of the index or middle finger of the master hand.
Safety of the AUG, set to ‘fire’.
The LY21 borrows most of the features of its safety system from the earlier LY20. The safety is located immediately above the weapon's pistol grip, and is a simple thumb or index-finger operated push-action trigger-lock safety. In the LY21’s case, this also includes connections to the weapon’s electrical system. When set to ‘safe’, the rifle’s electronic trigger circuit is not complete, making engaging the trigger ineffective. The safety protrudes 1cm from the weapon's right, just above a right hander's index finger, when in safe mode, and displays a white dot to the operator.
When switched to “fire” condition, the safety is taken offline by the index finger pushing it into the weapon. The safety will then protrude 1cm out the opposite (left hand) side of the weapon, and display a red dot to the operator, indicating the weapon's state of readiness visually, as well as to physical inspection. This safety system, identical to that featured on the AUG, was selected for its ability to be engaged or disengaged without the operator taking his hands from the weapon's foregrip or trigger, and yet being able to check the readiness status of the weapon without visual inspection.

Sighting system
As is increasingly common on Lyran small arms, the LY21 features a full-length dorsal picatinny rail for mounting of any number of sighting systems. Anything compatible with the picatinny rail system can be mounted on the weapon.

Accessories
The LY21’s full length dorsal, and mid-length ventral and lateral picatinny rails provide the system with a tremendous versatility. The following illustration shows some of the many possible accessories, but is by no means exhaustive.
Accessories
Note, however, that the weapon is not provided with these accessories, when delivered. Choice of additions to the platform are an end-user prerogative, and the cost of these accessories is not covered by purchase of an LY21.
Export
The LY21 AHLAR is designed to equip sophisticated and well trained fighting forces. Careful production and quality control standards, as well as insurance of the weapon’s robustness under adverse conditions, has left the LY21 as a weapon for the more discerning military and paramilitary forces. Deliveries of the LY21 are made in the ‘clean’ configuration, and come with six complimentary magazines, including ammunition. The weapon sells individually at NS$4,000, and domestic production rights are available at NS $4bn .
Questions or purchases can be made through Lyran Arms.

Usually fitted to it, as an accessory, is this:

LY67 ‘Widowmaker’ 3 round 40mm grenade launcher

Weight: 1.7 kg (3.3 lb)
Length: 520 mm (20.47 in.)
Barrel length: 400 mm (15.7 in.)
Cartridge: LY1020-series 40x43mm
Action: stacked-projectile, electronically-fired, caseless multishot system
Rate of Fire: 120 rounds per minute (cyclic)
45 rounds per minute (rapid)
Muzzle velocity : 76 m/s
Effective range (point targets): 250 m
Maximum range (with ER ammunition): 700 m
Feed system: tubular integral magazine

Abstract
The LY67 ‘Widowmaker’ is a 3-round, electrically-fired, 40mm grenade launcher, able to be fired either as a stand-alone system, or as an underbarrel grenade launcher attachment.
Background
In the early years of the 21st Century, an obscure Australian company came to prominence with its design for electrically firing sequentially stacked munitions. This company, Metal Storm, came to prominence based upon this design for munitions firing, and many individual systems have utilised its research.
It stated, of the 40mm grenade launcher capability:
For decades, single shot 40mm grenade launchers like the M203 have been the only realistic way to provide a grenade launching capability mounted on the main personal weapon of the warfighting soldier. The lack of a multi-shot, semi-automatic capability for every soldier severely limits the operational effectiveness of the existing systems, as in the heat of battle a slow, manual reload is often untenable.

In May 2011, the Lyran Governmental Trade Department secured a 5% stake in Metal Storm (OOC: No joke. I did…), and took a particular interest in the company’s near-complete 3GL weapon system. The aptly named 3GL is a 40mm, three-shot semi-automatic grenade launcher that fits multiple infantry assault weapons, by means of the Picatinny rail system, and analogs. It was from this base that the Lyran Protectorate’s Research and Development Commission took the design, and have worked to refine it, focusing on the minimisation of weight, enhancement of reliability (from an already very high base), and improving ergonomics.
As with the originating concept, the LY67, dubbed ‘Widowmaker’, allows a typical 10 man section to carry thirty 40mm rounds ‘in the breech’, and ready to fire, while also permitting every soldier the ability to maintain their small arms capability.
Interest in the ‘Widowmaker’ has already been considerable, and a strong export market, in addition to the standard mammoth production runs inherent to the Protectorate of Lyras, is expected.

Construction
The LY67 differs fractionally in its construction from its MS3GL ancestor, with the 3GL’s plastic and steel replaced by high-durability, lightweight, impact-resistant fibreglass-reinforced polyamide and titanium. The cost of production is appreciably higher, but the savings in weight and consequent benefits in ergonomics have been determined to be well worth the additional cost. Parts of the weapon that are not directly involved in the firing process or exposed to the pressures of it are usually manufactured from synthetics, which assists in maintaining the weapon’s overall low-weight.
Due to the differing explosive composition mix in the propellant of standard Lyran 40mm ammunition, the propellant load is smaller, and the cases fractionally shorter, for an equal propulsion impulse. Due to this, the space occupied by the three loaded rounds within the ‘Widowmaker’ is slightly less than the equivalent volume within the first-flight Metal Storm 3GL. Consequently, the ‘Widowmaker’ is able to be marginally shorter, for no reduction in muzzle velocity, but an appreciable (and appreciated) reduction in weight.
Electrical systems are composed of indium gallium arsenide, specially selected for its extremely high degree of resistance to electronic or electromagnetic interference or attack. This is a point especially relevant for the LY67, given its electronic ignition system being so integral to its operation, and the necessary absence of a mechanical backup. Lyran experience with InGaAs is extensive, and the semiconductor is used in just about everything made in Lyras that is more sophisticated than a spoon, and implementation of it was a matter of course.

Operating and feed system
The primary difference between the LY67 and alternate under-barrel grenade launchers, such as the M203, AG36, or analogues, is in its operating and feed system. All other aspects of the LY67 are very much subordinate to it, and this is what sets the LY67 apart from other UBGLs on the market.
The LY67 uses a sequentially stacked, electric ignition system, of the same type pioneered by Australia’s ‘Metal Storm’ corporation. The firing system is utilised under license, and Lyran patronage of the company has pushed it comfortably up into the ASX100 listings. The ammunition is ‘semi-caseless’, along a similar principle to the Russian VOG-series, and Sumerian 20x100mm grenade round. The round is "caseless" not in the conventional sense, but in the sense that the cartridge case is an integral part of the round, is fixed to the round, and stays on it throughout the flight. When the round is fired the propellant in the base of the round burns through five ports in the bottom of the fixed case, pushing on the bolt and chamber of the rifle and moving the whole round down the barrel. Further, the pressure from the expanding gases forces the projectile to engage with the rifling grooves along the inside of the barrel, imparting stabilizing spin. In flight the fixed case actually improves the projectile’s aerodynamics while residual gas emitting from the ports in the case provides small amounts of ongoing thrust, similar to that from a larger weapon’s base-bleed system.
Rounds are loaded by inserting of a tubular clip into the breech of the weapon. The individual rounds are pre-loaded into the clip, and the clip is insulated, and connector points shielded from interference. The clip can be ejected, and another clip loaded, en bloc. This also serves as a considerable time saving measure during combat conditions.
Extended-range rounds can be loaded into a clip as well, although this limits the clip capacity to two rounds.

Safety system
As you’d expect, dealing with explosives requires a certain degree of safety consciousness. There are many parts to the safety system of the LY67, and they are as follows.
The first is a simple push-through safety, similar to that of the LY21. With the safety set to ‘safe’, the trigger is not able to be pulled to the rear. Further, not only can the trigger not be pulled, but the electrical system that controls the ignition sequence passes through the safety. Should it be set to safe, the circuit is not completed, and the weapon may not fire.
Should the weapon be set to fire, it still may not do so unless the trigger is pulled, again by means of circuit completion.
For safety DURING firing a microchip is used in the same manner as the earlier MS3GL. It is located at the barrel muzzle, and detects the passage of each projectile and locks the firing mechanism (of each subsequent shell) until the fired shell has cleared the muzzle.
Further, and lastly, the rounds themselves do not arm until 6m clear of the muzzle, by default, to prevent self-harm. The simple impact, of course, will still have an effect.
The weapon’s safety and readiness state is provided by a backlit display on the rear of the weapon’s battery port. The illumination is activated by a simple toggle switch. The display symbolism is as shown below:

Ammunition
The LY67 uses the LY1020-series ammunition, by default, a line of 40mm grenades optimised for use with 40mm, electrically-fired grenade launchers.. All 40mm projectiles are nearly identical in size to existing 40mm rounds, enabling the utilization of in-service ammunition carriage, without alteration.
Based firmly upon the electrically-fired rounds utilised in the MS3GL, the Lyran rounds are superficially very similar, with a number of slight differences.
There are three primary variants of the LY1020-series ammunition. The first is the LY1020 itself, a High Explosive, Dual Purpose (HEDP) weapon, using the same FOX-7 composition as found in the propellant of the LY1010-series 140mm AFV ammunition. While functionally similar to the load-out that is common to the M433 40x46mm round that is in-service the world over (with 50.8mm of penetration against steel with a direct impact, a 5m kill zone and 15m casualty radius in open ground), the LY1020 is more stable in its propellant, and also in its explosive itself, making it more reliable and consistent in application than the M433. LY1020-rounds are marked with a yellow nose cone.
The second of the LY1020-series is the LY1021 ‘Cerberus’ thermobaric round. Based on the explosive composition used in the LY1002 ‘Hellsbreath’ hand grenade, information was made available from that project to expedite development of the ‘Cerberus’.
In the original technological exploration, many factors were considered, and the design team was given considerable leeway to determine optimum composition, with categories of interest being listed as:
1)Peak pressure
2)Pressure impulse
3)Temperature
4)Fragment velocity
5)Fragment perforations and
6)Heat flux
One explosive fill came out a clear leader, scoring best not only on the blast pressure and blast impulse but also best on fragment velocity and the number of fragment perforations it produced, way outperforming the existing filler in both categories. The explosive composition that generated (at testing on the 4th July, 2004) the highest peak pressure and pressure impulse (23.33psi and 2.23psi/ms respectively) also generated the highest fragment velocity and highest number of fragment perforations (1580m/s and 564). This was up against a peak pressure, pressure impulse, fragment velocity and fragment perforation of 9.91psi, 1.617psi/ms, 1449m/s and 396 respectively for conventional Composition B. While this particular mixture did not feature the highest temperature or highest heat flux, it still performed well in those categories, very comparable to PBXN-109, another baseline composition.
This mixture, YJ-05, designed by Ensign-Bickford Aerospace & Defense, was selected by the Lyran Protectorate for its LY1002 program, on the basis of these results, and also for the US Military's XM1060 40mm rounds. It is in this form that it also enters service in the LY1021 ‘Cerberus’ ammunition.
In usage, the YJ-05 filler drives both the ethylene oxide, and the energetic nanoparticularised-and-floridated aluminium, which is dispersed and rapidly ignites/combusts/detonates. The resultant sustained high pressure wave is phenomenally effective against enemy personnel and structures. The lethality effect results from a thermobaric overpressure blast rather than fragmentation. As a result of the thermobaric reaction, all enemy personnel within the effective radius will suffer lethal effects as opposed to the conventional fragmentation round, which can be halted by such things as heavy clothing or body armour. Body armour will NOT stop the effects of a thermobaric detonation, and the munition consciously seeks to take advantage of this fact. When taken in toto, the thermobaric explosives provide soldiers with a significantly greater probability of killing or incapacitating hostiles within the weapon's effective radius, in most circumstances. LY1021 ‘Cerberus’ rounds are painted with a red nose cone.
The LY1022 is the final variant available at this stage, and is an inert, refillable training round. It fires, and has an identical flight path to the LY1020 and -1021 combat rounds, but has no warhead, and, barring destruction caused upon landing, is re-usable. Nose cones are painted blue.
Extended-range variants are available, but these rounds are appreciably longer than the standard rounds, and a clip may only carry two of them. Further, the recoil generated is noticeably higher, due to the greater amount of propellant. That being said, the 200m gain in range is felt by some to be worth the trade in ammunition capacity and recoil.
It is expected that further rounds will be forthcoming, and preliminary reports indicate development progressing on CS, incendiary and smoke munitions.

Sighting system
Either ladder sights or a quadrant reflex sight can be fitted to the LY67 mount, whether underslung on a primary weapon, or used standalone, and the flight path can also be entered into BALCOTH interface for rapid, precision munitions employment.
When employed as a stand-alone system, any number of sights may be fitted, using the available dorsal, lateral or ventral Picatinny rail interfaces.

Export
Each launcher retails for NS$3,500, and with each purchase comes the right to produce the LY1020 ammunition, as required for the individual weapon in question.
Domestic Production Rights are available for NS3.5bn.
Questions or purchases can be made through Lyran Arms

Submachineguns, hand grenades, knives, etc are not generally covered by this thread, but details on those systems are also available.
Mokastana: Then Lyras happened.

Allanea: Wanting to avoid fighting Lyras' fuck-huge military is also a reasonable IC consideration

TPF: Who is stupid enough to attack a Lyran convoy?

Sumer: Honestly, I'd rather face Doom's military with Doom having a 3-1 advantage over me, than take a 1-1 fight with a well-supplied Lyran tank unit.

Kinsgard: RL Lyras is like a real life video game character.

Ieperithem: Eighty four. Eighty four percent of their terrifyingly massive GDP goes directly into their military. And they actually know how to manage it. It's safe to say there isn't a single nation that could feasibly stand against them if they wanted it to die.
Yikes. Just... Yikes.

Lyran Arms - Lambda Financial - Foreign Holdings - Tracker - Photo - OOC sentiments

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Founded: Jun 28, 2012
Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:04 pm

The Archangel Conglomerate wrote:
Aqizithiuda wrote:Was there anything in particular that you didn't understand or that I could explain more clearly?

By the way, this might be of interest to you: http://www.dtic.mil/dtic/tr/fulltext/u2/736856.pdf

It basically describes how to coat small caliber gun bores with tungsten for improved wear and resistance to erosion.

Not really. The more I read through it, the more it makes sense. It's actually rather simple and well thought out.

I do, however, find out humorous that you, in you're spare time, built a cartridge that would have easily outperformed the GSHG's 4.73x33mm cartridge.

Thank you for the link, I look forward to reading it.

Ah, excellent. Good to know it makes sense outside of my brain xD.
The really humorous thing is that I'm putting all this time and effort into a round and gun that's designed to fail ICly :p .

No problems.

Black Hand wrote:
Spreewerke wrote:Oh boy.

M67 7.62x39mm says, "wut?"

(Image)

(Image)

M67: increased penetration of 7.62x39mm, tumbling/yaw effect of 5.45x39mm.

sorry I have my failures...many, many failures. while I know a reasonable amount regarding ammunition overall I know little about specific variants of the ammunition (note: i persoanlly believe that the 7.62X51 is the best "rifle" round and that the 7.62X39 is the Best intermediate round) The AKM Is a fully capable assault rifle but the the possibility of creating a small round such as a 3mm or smaller that can achieve a velocity in the area of 1700-2700 m/s will be able to rip through armor plate, walls and even vehicles. At these speeds even drop is negligible and compensating for movement is a none issue leaving only air resistance and stabilization as difficulties terrifyingly nothing involving this is impossible with modern technology it merely lacks the necessary attention and funding. the goal of such a weapon is to punch nice neat holes in targets at long ranges this style of weapon is perfect for snipers. however in the modern world urban warfare is much more common and as such weapons like the AKM are far superior as they have the power and accuracy necessary for these ranges without an extreme cost or recoil (to get such a round moving at those speeds would require quite the load)
EDIT: I found room for it in my sig

The 8mm IS, 7x57mm Mauser and 7mm-08 are all better rifle cartridges than the 7.62 NATO. The 7.62x39mm isn't a bad round, especially Puzikas' NS loading of it, but still falls behind 6.5 and 7mm bullets with equivalent mass.

@ Lyras: actually, those are covered now. At least one type of grenade has been developed in thread now, andknivew, etc are always welcome.
Nationstatelandsville wrote:I liked the prostitute - never quote me on that.

Puzikas wrote:This is beyond condom on toes. This is full on Bra-on-balls.

Puzikas wrote:Im not cheep-You can quote me on that.

Hellraiser-Army wrote:and clearly I am surrounded by idiots who never looked at a blueprint before...

Live fire is not an effective means of communication.

Lyras
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lyras » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:11 pm

Ah, well, in that case...

Lyran LY1002 'Hellsbreath' thermobaric hand grenade
Length : 100mm
Diameter : 58mm
Weight : 375g
Filling : 110 grams, YJ-05, ethylene oxide, energetic nanoparticularised-and-floridated aluminium
Fuze delay : Variable. Default 5secs
Shell : Semi-perforated Kraton polyamide-coated aluminium, tungsten pellet inserts.
Casualty radius:
Kill: 6m
Casualty: 12m
Danger: 30m

Abstract
The LY1002 'Hellsbreath' is an in-service, purpose-built thermobaric hand grenade, designed and built by the Lyran Protectorate. It is known in Lyran service as the 'Hellsbreath' or the 'ten-oh-two'.

Background
While there exist a number of more or less similar hand grenades, the world over, the Lyran Protectorate was not satisfied was the same generic weaponry as the rest of the world. In keeping with the ever-present desire to realise full-spectrum overmatch, Executive Command directed the Protectorate Research and Development Commission to design, develop and manufacture a hand grenade that would optimise combat effectiveness for combat infantrymen.

As part of the development process, several seperate and relevant characteristics of grenades in general were identified and isolated:
1.)Short employment range
2.)Small effective/casualty radius
3.)Delay element/fuze
4.)Shell.
Further to that, hand grenades were determined, by nature, to consist of a body, which contains a filler (normally the explosive charge and/or projectiles) and a fuse, which is the means by which the grenade is made to explode by detonation or ignition.
The aim of the development was to therefore utilise and modify the constituent parts of the grenade to optimise the lethality of each characteristic, to the total combat utility of the package.

Explosive Filler
Perhaps the most important choice for grenade design is the selection of the filler composition. It is, in many respects, the defining feature of a grenade. The selection of the filler for the LY1002 was, as could then be expected, the longest component of the weapon's design process. Conventional (condensed explosive), Fuel-Air and Thermobaric were the three general forms of filler-charge available, and across that spectrum were a whole host of individual explosive mixtures, making the process of explosive selection therefore a very involved one.
A fact well known since ancient times is that generally shrapnel is the major source of lethality for most warheads, as it has an effective radius far greater than blast. Shrapnel is the staple engine of casualty for most modern hand grenades, for that reason. However shrapnel does have its limitations, chief amongst them the limitations of shrapnel penetration of armoured targets. In this regard, blast becomes more useful.
However, if maximum blast is sought, then fuel-air explosives are usually the most effective, and fuel-air explosives generally do not create shrapnel. A fuel-air explosion has two phases: first the gas or aerosol is released to form a cloud which mixes with the air. In the second phase the cloud is detonated, producing an explosion which is much more powerful than the equivalent condensed explosive. However, unlike a condensed explosive, it is unable to split open a casing and convert it into fast-moving anti-personnel shrapnel. So, as a consequence of that, although fuel-air explosives are extremely effective at destroying buildings, they are considerably less useful against other targets.
Thermobaric explosives lie somewhere between pure fuel-air and condensed explosives. A thermobaric explosive can be solid but 'fuel rich', for example such a mix of regular explosive with powdered aluminum or similar material. When it is set off, the thermobaric explosive produces an expanding fireball, with the leading edge containing white-hot aluminum particles which add to the explosive effect as they come into contact with the air and burn.
The following performance-based criteria for fill selection were established:
1. Good fragment driving properties,
2. Enhanced blast properties
3. Good IM characteristics,
4. Evidence of survivability under penetration loading/setback.

Also relevant were ease of training and qualification, and, lastly, but still a factor, was cost of fill in production and installation terms
A number of conclusions relevant to selection of an explosive were considered. Most important was with reference to how a grenade is used. Using a grenade is a conscious act for a soldier. Personnel do not snap-fire a grenade. Grenades are employed deliberately, normally against targets in some form of cover. If they were NOT in cover, generally a rifle or direct fireweapon is employed. Blast and overpressure were thus determined to be higher priorities for neutralising hostile forces in cover than had previously been appreciated, especially when used in hand grenade form, rather than, say, tube artillery.
Designers were, from the outset, not married to any given explosive formula, and experimentation and development continued to determine optimum composition, with categories of interest being listed as:
1)Peak pressure
2)Pressure impulse
3)Temperature
4)Fragment velocity
6)Heat flux
One explosive fill came out a clear leader, scoring best not only on the blast pressure and blast impulse but also best on fragment velocity and the number of fragment perforations it produced, way outperforming the existing filler in both categories. The explosive composition that generated (at testing on the 4th July, 2004) the highest peak pressure and pressure impulse (23.33psi and 2.23psi/ms respectively) also generated the highest fragment velocity and highest number of fragment perforations (1580m/s and 564). This was up against a peak pressure, pressure impulse, fragment velocity and fragment perforation of 9.91psi, 1.617psi/ms, 1449m/s and 396 respectively for conventional Composition B. While this particular mixture did not feature the highest temperature or highest heat flux, it still performed well in those categories, very comparable to PBXN-109, another baseline composition.
This mixture, YJ-05, designed by Ensign-Bickford Aerospace & Defense, was selected by the Lyran Protectorate for its LY1002 program, on the basis of these results, and also for the US Military's XM1060 40mm rounds.
In usage, the YJ-05 filler drives both the ethylene oxide, and the energetic nanoparticularised-and-floridated aluminium, which is dispersed and rapidly ignites/combusts/detonates. The resultant sustained high pressure wave is phenomenally effective against enemy personnel and structures. The lethality effect results from a thermobaric overpressure blast rather than fragmentation. As a result of the thermobaric reaction, all enemy personnel within the effective radius will suffer lethal effects as opposed to the conventional fragmentation round, which can be halted by such things as heavy clothing or body armour. Body armour will NOT stop the effects of a thermobaric detonation, and the LY1002 consciously seeks to take advantage of this fact. When taken in toto, the thermobaric explosives provide soldiers with a significantly greater probability of killing or incapacitating hostiles within the weapon's effective radius.

Fuse and pin assembly
An aluminium-framed indium-gallium arsenide electronic fuse is fitted to the LY1002, not only so as to ensure the absolute optimum in reliability and consistency, as well as not adding the fuse assembly to the projectiles, also provides several tactically appropriate fusing options. These include variability from 1 second to 10 seconds in delay fuse, and an impact detonation toggle.
For ease of use these options can be selected using just two tumbler-type controls, one to toggle the impact mode, the other to set the time delay option. The Impact dial has the options Impact, Impact + time, and Off. When pulled straight out of the box, the fuses are set to five second delay, and will remain that way unless adjusted. More than one unit has chosen not to adjust at all, but SF units in particular find the function exceedingly useful.

Shell
The LY1002's shell is not dissimilar to a number of other grenade shells. The exterior coating is ribbed for easy grip, and made of non-slip kraton polyamide. The aluminium of the shell is also designed to fracture and add aluminium particulate debris and mass to the ensuing blast wave.

The LY1003 is a reusable/refillable training model of the -1002, made with a reinforced steel shell and a modified fuze, containing a compound intended to simulate the detonation of the grenade.

Carriage
For carriage of the grenades, the Protectorate Research and Development Commission redesigned grenade pouches. Made of a fairly standard xyalane-treated polyester and cotton weave, the pouches are designed to prevent the lever being released (and thus the grenade fuse activated), even if the pin comes loose, while still allowing easy carriage and rapid access. A variety of differing camouflage patterns for the material are available, and the system features easy and modular adaptation to all sorts of load-bearing systems.

Export
An LY1002 is available for NS$25, and DPRs to the LY1002 (and LY1003 with it) are on sale (to approved parties) at NS$10bn. Upon purchase of DPRs, or more than 1,000,000 individual items, approval is granted to the purchasing state to produce the Lyran Arms-patented grenade pouches, without restriction. Purchase requests and enquiries can be lodged through Lyran Arms.

'Dauntless' Body Armour

Dauntless – Lyran desert camouflage pattern

Dauntless – Lyran snow camouflage pattern

Conceptualisation:
“Dauntless” is the Lyran Protectorate's range of ballistic armors. Designed for all forms of conflict, and to be practical in any situation, “Dauntless” provides a number of alternate solutions that can be selected according to the theatre of operations ranging from the ultra-lightweight class III-equivalent 'Arachne' to the super-resistance medium-weight class IV+ combined armour.

Background and development
Armour, in the abstract, is not new, or even close to it. Ever since man wrapped himself in animal skins to protect himself from someone next to him, there has been armour. As weapon capabilities increased, armour kept pace to match, and the trend continued for thousands of years.

With the advent of firearms, however, altered this situation. Within a relatively short period of time, the mobility cost of wearing heavy armour no longer justified its protective qualities, when pitted against musketry. Armour left the battlefield.

In the 20th century armour made something of a return. From the early days of the first world war, soldiers on both sides of the conflict were issued protective headgear. Helmets were the first element of armour to make its return to the battlefield, primarily with the intention of shielding the head from ricochets and shrapnel. Initial forays into body armour was less successful, with the protection of limited utility, and the weight prohibitive.
Over time, this changed. The advent of synthetic or semi-synthetic compounds that were both light and strong brought down the weight of body armour considerably, and by the last decade of the 20th century, ballistic protection was improving by leaps and bounds. During the aftermath of the second gulf war, coalition forces within Iraq issued body armour to their soldiers as standard, and, since that point, the trend has continued.
As would be predicted, however, the firearms and tactics have adapted to match. Increased use of high-velocity armour-piercing (or frangible) ammunition, explosives and higher-calibre weapons has, in many ways, pushed the balance back the other way. Personnel within many armies are, once more, eschewing the use of body armour as too bulky and restrictive, and thus actually increasing their chance of being hit or killed.
Into this situation, Lyras decided to act. Painfully aware of the enormous expense in time and resources that each Lyran soldier represented, Warmarshal Krell directed the Protectorate Research and Development Commission to research, design and develop a range of ballistic armour that would be practical to use, as unrestrictive as possible, and offer unparalleled protection against existing and predicted threats.

Research was, undoubtedly, the largest, longest and most labour-intensive element of the requirement. While no doubt a rapidly developing and growing field of study, modern ballistic protection was still very much in its early stages of development. Semi-resistant fabrics held heavy, bulky ceramic plates in place over vital areas, and mobility, both through weight and movement restriction, suffered as protection increased. Very quickly, the individual soldier's combat load was becoming very difficult to manage. Dyneema/Kevlar/Spectra-based products were effective, of that there was no doubt, but methods for increasing protective capabilities so as to greatly decrease weight were sought.

Two primary fields emerged as the areas of greatest interest, in 'hard' and 'soft' armour categories respectively. Hard body armour is made out of thick ceramic or metal plates, functions basically the same way as the iron suits worn by medieval knights; it is hard enough that a bullet or other weapon is deflected. That is, the armour material pushes out on the bullet with the same force (or nearly the same force) with which the bullet pushes in, so the armour is not penetrated.

Typically, hard body armour offers more protection than soft body armour, but it is much more cumbersome. Police officers and military personnel may wear this sort of protection when there is high risk of attack, but for everyday use they generally wear soft body armor, flexible protection that you wear like an ordinary shirt or jacket.

For hard armour, the field of investigation was the area of inorganic fullerenes; tubular or spherical nanocomposites of tungsten disulfide in particular. First proposed as a ballistic protection by the Israeli-based ApNano corporation, research into tungsten disulfide had proceeded independently for some time, despite considerable interest from a large number of national military and police forces. The Protectorate Research and Development Commission entering into an information-sharing agreement with the group in late 2006. A manufacturer of other high-strength armour-ceramic materials, such as boron carbide and silicon carbide, ApNano's research showed tungsten disulfide granting at least twice the protection level of equivalent mass boron carbide, between 4 and 5 times stronger than steel, and 6 times the strength of kevlar.

The second area of interest was the development of synthetic aciniform spidersilk. The use of synthetic spider silk to replace current materials in a host of applications has, until recently, been a step too far for materials science. In 2000, however, man-made spider silk moved a step nearer with the news that Canadian-based Nexia Biotechnologies Inc and the US Army Soldier Biological Chemical Command had collaborated to spin the world’s first man-made spider silk. Its commercial production has been something of a holy grail for materials scientists for many years, not least because it is known to be tougher, in terms of energy required to break, and less dense, than steel or Kevlar. As with the information sharing agreement with ApNano, a multi-billion dollar research grant provided by the Lyran Protectorate Research and Development Commission facilitated the joint-venture. Preliminary findings suggest that a strand of synthetic aciniform spider silk can be up to 20 times stronger than an equivalent strand of steel.

Importantly, it is also possible to combine tungsten disulfide nanotubes with other substances in order to expand the range of capabilities. For instance, mixing IF with highly elastic materials can lead to new compounds which are both flexible and shock-absorbing. These properties position tungsten-disulfide/synthetic aciniform spider silk materials as one of the best candidates for contemporary military-grade protective equipment and armour.

Manufacturing processes;
“Dauntless” is not a single grade of armour or homogenous material. Rather, it is an adaptable system designed to meet the diverse protection and mobility needs of combat soldiers. Capacity for adding additional protection is very much present within the system, allowing the individual end-user or subunit to determine the most combat effective configuration for any given circumstance.

In general terms, the armour is composed of two elements, the hard and soft components. The base level of the armour is the soft components, designed not to stop a round at any given point, but to disperse the impact over as broad an area as possible. The material used for this purpose is anciniform silk from spiders of the Nephila genus, specifically Nephila Maticulata, the Giant Wood Spider. It is worth noting, at this point, that anciniform silk is considerably stronger than that used for spinning webs, and is used primarily for securing prey once captured.

Farming spiders has been attempted, in the past, but with extremely limited success, and at very high labour cost. Spiders are predatory and unabashedly cannibalistic. Initial forays into attempts to generate spider silk through other means have been many and varied, with the first attempts (from Nexia biotechnologies) being by way of genetically modifying goats, in order to secrete the correct proteins in their milk, which would then be brought together in the appropriate fibrous form for weaving into ultra-high strength silk.

The method, while successful in principle, did have a number of flaws. Chief amongst them was the very large number of goats required to produce industrially feasible quantities of the genetically modified proteins. Specifically, it would take 200 goats to make a single vest in a day... an impractical solution for a state such as Lyras, where every single man, woman and child of a population greater than 5 billion would require body armour.

Subsequent attempts to gene-splice the required sequences into silkworms was, however, a resounding success, with the process moving beyond the ADF-3 and ADF-4 proteins that constitute the required spider silk, and into organic production of the silk itself.
Silkworms extruding spider silk, enlarged.

At a stroke the vast majority of extant problems of farming industrial or commercial quantities of spider silk were solved, and the material became feasible. Rates of production for the substance continue to increase, as the Protectorate both seeks to armour its own populace, and concurrently attempts to generate inventory for distribution through export.

Once spun, the silk is woven into protective clothing in the same manner as clothing anywhere. The fibres mesh well, and fibrous internal friction is low while elasticity and tensile strength both remain very high, allowing for exceptionally good multi-shot resistance, particularly so when compared to other soft armours. The fibres, unusually, become proportionally stronger as they get thinner, and research and implementation quickly established what spiders established millions of years ago, that weaving 100 thin fibres into a silken strand is almost 60% stronger than an equivalent width single strand, while utilising (approximately) only 80% of the material mass. Also, critically, spider silk has a biphasic modulus – when initially subjected to force it is very stiff, like Kevlar, but just before the yield point it becomes very elastic, like Nylon. It also undergoes hysteresis, so if released from tension it comes back into shape. Upon the completion of the armour or garment, various coatings are applied in the conventional sense, such as anti-UV protective coatings and Xylane waterproofing.

Spider silk is also, when compared to alternative ballistic-grade fibres, extremely comfortable, being smooth, lightweight and breathable. When the properties are simultaneously taken into account, some of the potential of the substance becomes readily apparent.

The second element of the armour's protection are its 'hard' components, the sections designed to outright stop incoming projectiles. Where previously this required the existence and implementation of extremely bulky ceramic plates (or similar), “Dauntless” has implemented the first widescale application of inorganic fullerenes in the form of tungsten disulfide (WS2) within ballistic armours.

In contrast to organic (carbon-based) Fullerenes, WS2 is easier and much less expensive to produce, is chemically stable and is dramatically less reactive and less flammable. Organic fullerenes are also considered to be highly toxic, whereas WS2, like most other inorganic fullerenes, is not. As WS2 forms, it does so in layers, much like graphite, which is - along with diamond - one of two common forms carbon takes in nature. In WS2, molecules are bonded in trigonal prismatic layers, similar to MoS2. These form flat layers that are stacked on top of one another like sheets of paper.
When making nanotubes, the process, in essence, takes individual layers and folds them over so they join at either edge to form cylinders. Illustration is provided below.

In an interview recorded in late 2005, Dr. Menachem Genut, ApNano CEO, explained that the company was moving into semi-industrial manufacturing within the next six months producing between 100-200 kilograms of the material per day, gradually moving to full-scale industrial production by 2007, which lead to the production of several tons each day. Although it was difficult to determine the exact price of the "nano-armor" when in full industrial production, given the cost of the original materials and the relatively low production costs, Dr. Genut stated (in 2005) that a kilogram of the new material will cost considerably less than a similar amount of the carbon-based Fullerenes. As at the time of interview, the company was optimistic that with some external financial backing it will be possible to have the first product ready in less then three years.

The Lyran Protectorate was more than happy to provide such backing, which it did to the tune of NS$18 billion. That investment has reaped the requisite rewards, with multiple manufacturing complexes now devoted to production of the materials required for the production of “Dauntless”.

Signature reduction
“Dauntless” provides the highest level of signature reduction of any body armour released onto the market to date, borrowing as it does from the innovations introduced in the still-new Lyran Disruptive Pattern Camouflage Uniform (LDPCUs), which was itself designed with the ongoing development and anticipated completion of “Dauntless” in mind.

To that end, infra-red suppression, carried out in parallel to that provided by the LDPCUs, was determined to be of paramount importance. As hinted in an interview with then-Major McReedy, who was the assistant project manager and military technical advisor to the LDPCU program, the Protectorate Research and Development Commission was examining means of transferring the IR-suppressive techniques over to other applications.

The final decision was, in retrospect, painfully simple. All body armour, after manufacture, is provided with a fabric covering layer, coloured in a pattern appropriate to the intended area of use. For “Dauntless”, the Research and Development Commission took this idea further, providing for the fitting of one of any number of after-manufacture camouflage covers, to be applied over the armour. These fabric covers utilise the same multi-spectral camouflage adaptations pioneered for use on the LDPCUs, and provides for dramatically reduced visibility when seen through 3rd or 4th generation night vision or thermal imaging equipment.

By means of illustration, the figure on the right is wearing the new IR-suppressed LDPCU uniform the other one is wearing the old-style ACU. While no photographs of personnel in “Dauntless” were available, the technology applied is identical. This photo was taken from a distance of 12 metres.

LDPCU coverings to the “Dauntless” body armour are NOT to be starched, as starch can cause discolouration, and interferes with the IR-suppression properties. This will enhance the IR signature, making the uniform brighter when viewed with night vision goggles. Further, strong detergents may discolour the uniform, and again may react to neutralise the IR-suppression.
LDPCU fabric coverings are also not to be ironed, as the extensive heat application may damage the fibrous chemical treatment. If washing is required (as it will be, at some point), cold machine wash, and drip dry where possible.

Modularity
The Lyran Protectorate has, for some time, been issuing chest webbing as standard, featuring (as many other nations' chest webbing also features) velcro and plastic straps and clips so as to secure equipment to the person. The 'Dauntless' armour takes this a step further, with the armour itself able to accept the various equipment pouches and containers required by a combatant, with the armour insert pouches themselves able to double as containers, if not used to carry the additional armour.

Most internationally standard attachments should have no issue fitting to 'Dauntless', and if there are issues, custom fits can be arranged free of charge.

Protective qualities
Protective qualities of “Dauntless” are divided, again, into hard and soft armour for individual analysis, and a synopsis will be provided at the conclusion.

In mid-2005, research into WS2 was conducted at the University of Nottingham, England. A sample of the material was subjected to severe shocks, from a steel projectile moving at speeds of up to 1.5 km/second. The tungsten disulfide withstood the impacts of up to 250 tons per square centimeter. This is approximately equivalent to dropping four diesel locomotives onto an area the size of ones fingernail. During the test the material proved to be so strong that after the impact the samples remained essentially unchanged, when compared to the original material. Additionally, a recent study by Prof. J. M. Martin from Ecole Centrale de Lyon in France tested the new material under isostatic pressure and found it to be stable up to at least 350 tons/cm2

Tungsten disulfide is relatively heavy, however and for that reason the plates utilising WS2 are substantially thinner than their -carbide equivalents. Further, due to the purpose of the research being to lower the body armour weight, not increase it, the plates were made thinner to the point of being lighter than their predecessors. Given the greatly superior ballistic protection offered by WS2, however, the plates, despite being considerably thinner and lighter, offer dramatically improved protective performance. This is achieved by using WS2 backed by the lighter boron carbide. The impact resistance of the WS2 is utilised to blunten the impact of the projectile, and 'decap' inbound rounds, while the backing absorbs the remainder of the kinetic energy, and continues to distribute the energy while keeping weight low.

For the purposes of reference, the table below details the official body armour levels, as defined by the U.S. National Institute of Justice, Standard 0101.04.

Armor Level
Type I
(.22 LR; .380 ACP)
This armor protects against 22 calibre Long Rifle Lead Round Nose (LR LRN) bullets, with nominal masses of 2.6 g (40 gr) at a reference velocity of 329 m/s (1080 ft/s ± 30 ft/s) and .380 ACP Full Metal Jacketed Round Nose (FMJ RN) bullets, with nominal masses of 6.2 g (95 gr) at a reference velocity of 322 m/s (1055 ft/s ± 30 ft/s)

Type IIA
(9 mm; .40 S&W)
This armor protects against 9 mm Full Metal Jacketed Round Nose (FMJ RN) bullets, with nominal masses of 8.0 g (124 gr) at a reference velocity of 341 m/s (1120 ft/s ± 30 ft/s) and .40 S&W calibre Full Metal Jacketed (FMJ) bullets, with nominal masses of 11.7 g (180 gr) at a reference velocity of 322 m/s (1055 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). It also provides protection against the threats mentioned in [Type I].

Type II
(9 mm; .357 Magnum)
This armor protects against 9 mm Full Metal Jacketed Round Nose (FMJ RN) bullets, with nominal masses of 8.0 g (124 gr) at a reference velocity of 367 m/s (1205 ft/s ± 30 ft/s) and 357 Magnum Jacketed Soft Point (JSP) bullets, with nominal masses of 10.2 g (158 gr) at a reference velocity of 436 m/s (1430 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). It also provides protection against the threats mentioned in [Types I and IIA].

Type IIIA
(High Velocity 9 mm; .44 Magnum)
This armor protects against 9 mm Full Metal Jacketed Round Nose (FMJ RN) bullets, with nominal masses of 8.0 g (124 gr) at a reference velocity of 436 m/s (1430 ft/s ± 30 ft/s) and .44 Magnum Semi Jacketed Hollow Point (SJHP) bullets, with nominal masses of 15.6 g (240 gr) at a reference velocity of 436 m/s (1430 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). It also provides protection against most handgun threats, as well as the threats mentioned in [Types I, IIA, and II].

Type III
(Rifles)
This armor protects against 7.62 mm Full Metal Jacketed (FMJ) bullets (U.S. Military designation M80), with nominal masses of 9.6 g (148 gr) at a reference velocity of 847 m/s (2780 ft/s ± 30 ft/s) or less. It also provides protection against the threats mentioned in [Types I, IIA, II, and IIIA].

Type IV
(Armour Piercing Rifle)
This armor protects against .30 calibre armour piercing (AP) bullets (U.S. Military designation M2 AP), with nominal masses of 10.8 g (166 gr) at a reference velocity of 878 m/s (2880 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). It also provides at least single hit protection against the threats mentioned in [Types I, IIA, II, IIIA, and III].

There are, at present, three general classes of protection offered. The first is the spider-silk only torso and leggings, known as 'Arachne' for ease of differentiation, and rated to level IIIA. This armour is designed specifically to be very comfortably and uninhibiting in movement or weight, and fits easily under clothing, or under the second type of armour. 'Arachne' is breathable, lightweight, and available for purchase by any supernational, national, paranational or private entity. 'Arachne' weighs in at 2.3kg, although is less than a third the bulk of an equivalent weight of kevlar.

The second and third classes of protection under the 'Dauntless' armour share the primary component, that being the ballistic vest itself. Made from a soft armour base composed of the same material as the 'Arachne', the 'Dauntless' system itself is thicker, with more layers of the same substance, and features a number of zip-closed, velcro-covered pockets into which are inserted the WS2/boron-carbide composite plates. The degree of protection delivered is modular... the more protection required, the more plates can be inserted. With the addition of the composite plates, the armour is rated at level IV+, the plus being indicative of the fact that the official chart only goes up that far. The system has been tested as providing at least single hit protection against 12.7 x 99mm fire at ranges outside 150m. Expect a whopping great bruise, however, and to be knocked clean off your feet and possibly backwards a couple of metres. Use of a helmet is advised to avoid secondary damage.
The 'Dauntless' vest weighs 6.1kg on its own, and, when all inserts are added, weighs 15.5kg.

Pushing up to the third level is achieved by means off combining both layers, with the 'Arachne' worn underneath the 'Dauntless' vest. The level of protection offered by this multi-layered approach is, as would be expected, fairly high. Total weight would thereby reach 17.7kg, and is not recommended for long distance dismounted operations.

Available in conjunction are upper arm and upper leg protection, with the upper arms rated at III, and legs rated at IV.

Export
'Dauntless' and its 'Arachne' sub-set together represent a significant move forward in contemporary armour technology. It provides dismounted infantry with flexible high-grade protection for the modern battlespace. It is, however, not cheap, as reflects the nature of the product. Also, it is proprietary technology, and Lyran Arms DOES NOT offer DPRs to non-allied states.

Examples of the armour are available at the following cost;
'Arachne' vest; NS$4,900
'Dauntless' vest; NS$6,200
WS2/Boron carbide inserts; NS$7,400

'Dauntless' and inserts; NS$13,200
'Arachne' + 'Dauntless' + inserts; NS$18,000

Special considerations are available, as per Executive Command decision, to TPF, Asgarnieu, the Federal Republic of Hamilay, Verenberg, Errikland, Bomble, Varessa, Mokastana, the Revolutionary Commonwealth of Wagdog, Lamoni, Dictatorial Republic of Sumer, and select other nations.

Purchases are made through Lyran Arms.

UPDATE, 24 AUG 2008
In accordance with Executive Command sanctioned analysis and directives, 'Dauntless' Ballistic Armour, and its derivatives, is NOT AVAILABLE to states not in strategic partnership with the Lyran Protectorate, in one form or another. Lyran Arms, as a subsidiary unit to the Governmental Trade Department, is contactable for questions, and reserves the right to refer to Executive Command in the case of dispute. Pre-existing purchases are recognised, and customer support will continue, despite export restrictions.

References

Online sources only listed... hard copy source list available on request.

Super-strong body armour; nanotubes and their production
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7038686.stm

Protecting the soldiers of tomorrow (published February 15, 2006)
http://www.isracast.com/article.aspx?id=28

Synthetic spider silk
http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID=1543

National Geographic, 2005; Transgenic goats and Biosteel
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... der_2.html
Wikipedia – Body Armour
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_armor

Wikipedia - Tungsten Disulfide (How could one not?)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tungsten_disulfide

Wikipedia – Spider silk (Again, how could one not?)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider_silk

Advances in ballistic armour research:
http://illumin.usc.edu/article.php?articleID=156&page=4

MOAA, 2003 on connections between US Army Materiel Command and Nexia
http://www.moaa.org/magazine/January...erwarriors.asp

Nephila Maculata – Webs of Steel; the Giant Wood Spider
http://www.naturia.per.sg/buloh/inverts/nephila.htm

Synthesis of spidersilk from transgenic goats – a periodical;
http://www.gene.ch/genet/2004/Jan/msg00026.html

Basic Ballistics, Anthony Williams © 2008.
http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/ballistics.htm

Digital Dutch Unit Converter
http://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/energy.htm

Yanitarian BDUs
http://z4.invisionfree.invalid.com/NSDraftroom/ ... topic=1531

Finding Inspiration in Spider Silk Fibres
http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM...ices-0502.html

Allanea: Wanting to avoid fighting Lyras' fuck-huge military is also a reasonable IC consideration

Sumer: Honestly, I'd rather face Doom's military with Doom having a 3-1 advantage over me, than take a 1-1 fight with a well-supplied Lyran tank unit.

Ieperithem: Eighty four. Eighty four percent of their terrifyingly massive GDP goes directly into their military. And they actually know how to manage it. It's safe to say there isn't a single nation that could feasibly stand against them if they wanted it to die.
Yikes. Just... Yikes.

Lyran Arms - Lambda Financial - Foreign Holdings - Tracker - Photo - OOC sentiments

Ulfr-Reich
Minister

Ex-Nation

Postby Ulfr-Reich » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:24 pm

Well, neverfuckingmindthen with the 88mm, gods-damn worthless fucking pmg.......

I seriously need to get better at flash 8 (macromedia) and put all this crappy crashing crap behind me.
Last edited by Ulfr-Reich on Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:25 pm, edited 1 time in total.

RIP Rhoderberg
14/9/2013 - 15/8/2015

Spirit of Hope
Postmaster-General

Founded: Feb 21, 2011
Civil Rights Lovefest

Postby Spirit of Hope » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:30 pm

Lyras wrote:Ah, well, in that case...

Lyran LY1002 'Hellsbreath' thermobaric hand grenade
(Image)
Length : 100mm
Diameter : 58mm
Weight : 375g
Filling : 110 grams, YJ-05, ethylene oxide, energetic nanoparticularised-and-floridated aluminium
Fuze delay : Variable. Default 5secs
Shell : Semi-perforated Kraton polyamide-coated aluminium, tungsten pellet inserts.
Casualty radius:
Kill: 6m
Casualty: 12m
Danger: 30m

Abstract
The LY1002 'Hellsbreath' is an in-service, purpose-built thermobaric hand grenade, designed and built by the Lyran Protectorate. It is known in Lyran service as the 'Hellsbreath' or the 'ten-oh-two'.

Background
While there exist a number of more or less similar hand grenades, the world over, the Lyran Protectorate was not satisfied was the same generic weaponry as the rest of the world. In keeping with the ever-present desire to realise full-spectrum overmatch, Executive Command directed the Protectorate Research and Development Commission to design, develop and manufacture a hand grenade that would optimise combat effectiveness for combat infantrymen.

As part of the development process, several seperate and relevant characteristics of grenades in general were identified and isolated:
1.)Short employment range
2.)Small effective/casualty radius
3.)Delay element/fuze
4.)Shell.
Further to that, hand grenades were determined, by nature, to consist of a body, which contains a filler (normally the explosive charge and/or projectiles) and a fuse, which is the means by which the grenade is made to explode by detonation or ignition.
(Image)
The aim of the development was to therefore utilise and modify the constituent parts of the grenade to optimise the lethality of each characteristic, to the total combat utility of the package.

Explosive Filler
Perhaps the most important choice for grenade design is the selection of the filler composition. It is, in many respects, the defining feature of a grenade. The selection of the filler for the LY1002 was, as could then be expected, the longest component of the weapon's design process. Conventional (condensed explosive), Fuel-Air and Thermobaric were the three general forms of filler-charge available, and across that spectrum were a whole host of individual explosive mixtures, making the process of explosive selection therefore a very involved one.
A fact well known since ancient times is that generally shrapnel is the major source of lethality for most warheads, as it has an effective radius far greater than blast. Shrapnel is the staple engine of casualty for most modern hand grenades, for that reason. However shrapnel does have its limitations, chief amongst them the limitations of shrapnel penetration of armoured targets. In this regard, blast becomes more useful.
However, if maximum blast is sought, then fuel-air explosives are usually the most effective, and fuel-air explosives generally do not create shrapnel. A fuel-air explosion has two phases: first the gas or aerosol is released to form a cloud which mixes with the air. In the second phase the cloud is detonated, producing an explosion which is much more powerful than the equivalent condensed explosive. However, unlike a condensed explosive, it is unable to split open a casing and convert it into fast-moving anti-personnel shrapnel. So, as a consequence of that, although fuel-air explosives are extremely effective at destroying buildings, they are considerably less useful against other targets.
Thermobaric explosives lie somewhere between pure fuel-air and condensed explosives. A thermobaric explosive can be solid but 'fuel rich', for example such a mix of regular explosive with powdered aluminum or similar material. When it is set off, the thermobaric explosive produces an expanding fireball, with the leading edge containing white-hot aluminum particles which add to the explosive effect as they come into contact with the air and burn.
The following performance-based criteria for fill selection were established:
1. Good fragment driving properties,
2. Enhanced blast properties
3. Good IM characteristics,
4. Evidence of survivability under penetration loading/setback.

Also relevant were ease of training and qualification, and, lastly, but still a factor, was cost of fill in production and installation terms
A number of conclusions relevant to selection of an explosive were considered. Most important was with reference to how a grenade is used. Using a grenade is a conscious act for a soldier. Personnel do not snap-fire a grenade. Grenades are employed deliberately, normally against targets in some form of cover. If they were NOT in cover, generally a rifle or direct fireweapon is employed. Blast and overpressure were thus determined to be higher priorities for neutralising hostile forces in cover than had previously been appreciated, especially when used in hand grenade form, rather than, say, tube artillery.
Designers were, from the outset, not married to any given explosive formula, and experimentation and development continued to determine optimum composition, with categories of interest being listed as:
1)Peak pressure
2)Pressure impulse
3)Temperature
4)Fragment velocity
6)Heat flux
This mixture, YJ-05, designed by Ensign-Bickford Aerospace & Defense, was selected by the Lyran Protectorate for its LY1002 program, on the basis of these results, and also for the US Military's XM1060 40mm rounds.
In usage, the YJ-05 filler drives both the ethylene oxide, and the energetic nanoparticularised-and-floridated aluminium, which is dispersed and rapidly ignites/combusts/detonates. The resultant sustained high pressure wave is phenomenally effective against enemy personnel and structures. The lethality effect results from a thermobaric overpressure blast rather than fragmentation. As a result of the thermobaric reaction, all enemy personnel within the effective radius will suffer lethal effects as opposed to the conventional fragmentation round, which can be halted by such things as heavy clothing or body armour. Body armour will NOT stop the effects of a thermobaric detonation, and the LY1002 consciously seeks to take advantage of this fact. When taken in toto, the thermobaric explosives provide soldiers with a significantly greater probability of killing or incapacitating hostiles within the weapon's effective radius.

Fuse and pin assembly
An aluminium-framed indium-gallium arsenide electronic fuse is fitted to the LY1002, not only so as to ensure the absolute optimum in reliability and consistency, as well as not adding the fuse assembly to the projectiles, also provides several tactically appropriate fusing options. These include variability from 1 second to 10 seconds in delay fuse, and an impact detonation toggle.
For ease of use these options can be selected using just two tumbler-type controls, one to toggle the impact mode, the other to set the time delay option. The Impact dial has the options Impact, Impact + time, and Off. When pulled straight out of the box, the fuses are set to five second delay, and will remain that way unless adjusted. More than one unit has chosen not to adjust at all, but SF units in particular find the function exceedingly useful.

Shell
The LY1002's shell is not dissimilar to a number of other grenade shells. The exterior coating is ribbed for easy grip, and made of non-slip kraton polyamide. The aluminium of the shell is also designed to fracture and add aluminium particulate debris and mass to the ensuing blast wave.

The LY1003 is a reusable/refillable training model of the -1002, made with a reinforced steel shell and a modified fuze, containing a compound intended to simulate the detonation of the grenade.

Carriage
For carriage of the grenades, the Protectorate Research and Development Commission redesigned grenade pouches. Made of a fairly standard xyalane-treated polyester and cotton weave, the pouches are designed to prevent the lever being released (and thus the grenade fuse activated), even if the pin comes loose, while still allowing easy carriage and rapid access. A variety of differing camouflage patterns for the material are available, and the system features easy and modular adaptation to all sorts of load-bearing systems.
(Image)
(Image)

Export
An LY1002 is available for NS$25, and DPRs to the LY1002 (and LY1003 with it) are on sale (to approved parties) at NS$10bn. Upon purchase of DPRs, or more than 1,000,000 individual items, approval is granted to the purchasing state to produce the Lyran Arms-patented grenade pouches, without restriction. Purchase requests and enquiries can be lodged through Lyran Arms.

'Dauntless' Body Armour

Dauntless – Lyran desert camouflage pattern

Dauntless – Lyran snow camouflage pattern

Conceptualisation:
“Dauntless” is the Lyran Protectorate's range of ballistic armors. Designed for all forms of conflict, and to be practical in any situation, “Dauntless” provides a number of alternate solutions that can be selected according to the theatre of operations ranging from the ultra-lightweight class III-equivalent 'Arachne' to the super-resistance medium-weight class IV+ combined armour.

Background and development
Armour, in the abstract, is not new, or even close to it. Ever since man wrapped himself in animal skins to protect himself from someone next to him, there has been armour. As weapon capabilities increased, armour kept pace to match, and the trend continued for thousands of years.

With the advent of firearms, however, altered this situation. Within a relatively short period of time, the mobility cost of wearing heavy armour no longer justified its protective qualities, when pitted against musketry. Armour left the battlefield.

In the 20th century armour made something of a return. From the early days of the first world war, soldiers on both sides of the conflict were issued protective headgear. Helmets were the first element of armour to make its return to the battlefield, primarily with the intention of shielding the head from ricochets and shrapnel. Initial forays into body armour was less successful, with the protection of limited utility, and the weight prohibitive.
Over time, this changed. The advent of synthetic or semi-synthetic compounds that were both light and strong brought down the weight of body armour considerably, and by the last decade of the 20th century, ballistic protection was improving by leaps and bounds. During the aftermath of the second gulf war, coalition forces within Iraq issued body armour to their soldiers as standard, and, since that point, the trend has continued.
As would be predicted, however, the firearms and tactics have adapted to match. Increased use of high-velocity armour-piercing (or frangible) ammunition, explosives and higher-calibre weapons has, in many ways, pushed the balance back the other way. Personnel within many armies are, once more, eschewing the use of body armour as too bulky and restrictive, and thus actually increasing their chance of being hit or killed.
Into this situation, Lyras decided to act. Painfully aware of the enormous expense in time and resources that each Lyran soldier represented, Warmarshal Krell directed the Protectorate Research and Development Commission to research, design and develop a range of ballistic armour that would be practical to use, as unrestrictive as possible, and offer unparalleled protection against existing and predicted threats.

Research was, undoubtedly, the largest, longest and most labour-intensive element of the requirement. While no doubt a rapidly developing and growing field of study, modern ballistic protection was still very much in its early stages of development. Semi-resistant fabrics held heavy, bulky ceramic plates in place over vital areas, and mobility, both through weight and movement restriction, suffered as protection increased. Very quickly, the individual soldier's combat load was becoming very difficult to manage. Dyneema/Kevlar/Spectra-based products were effective, of that there was no doubt, but methods for increasing protective capabilities so as to greatly decrease weight were sought.

Two primary fields emerged as the areas of greatest interest, in 'hard' and 'soft' armour categories respectively. Hard body armour is made out of thick ceramic or metal plates, functions basically the same way as the iron suits worn by medieval knights; it is hard enough that a bullet or other weapon is deflected. That is, the armour material pushes out on the bullet with the same force (or nearly the same force) with which the bullet pushes in, so the armour is not penetrated.

Typically, hard body armour offers more protection than soft body armour, but it is much more cumbersome. Police officers and military personnel may wear this sort of protection when there is high risk of attack, but for everyday use they generally wear soft body armor, flexible protection that you wear like an ordinary shirt or jacket.

For hard armour, the field of investigation was the area of inorganic fullerenes; tubular or spherical nanocomposites of tungsten disulfide in particular. First proposed as a ballistic protection by the Israeli-based ApNano corporation, research into tungsten disulfide had proceeded independently for some time, despite considerable interest from a large number of national military and police forces. The Protectorate Research and Development Commission entering into an information-sharing agreement with the group in late 2006. A manufacturer of other high-strength armour-ceramic materials, such as boron carbide and silicon carbide, ApNano's research showed tungsten disulfide granting at least twice the protection level of equivalent mass boron carbide, between 4 and 5 times stronger than steel, and 6 times the strength of kevlar.

The second area of interest was the development of synthetic aciniform spidersilk. The use of synthetic spider silk to replace current materials in a host of applications has, until recently, been a step too far for materials science. In 2000, however, man-made spider silk moved a step nearer with the news that Canadian-based Nexia Biotechnologies Inc and the US Army Soldier Biological Chemical Command had collaborated to spin the world’s first man-made spider silk. Its commercial production has been something of a holy grail for materials scientists for many years, not least because it is known to be tougher, in terms of energy required to break, and less dense, than steel or Kevlar. As with the information sharing agreement with ApNano, a multi-billion dollar research grant provided by the Lyran Protectorate Research and Development Commission facilitated the joint-venture. Preliminary findings suggest that a strand of synthetic aciniform spider silk can be up to 20 times stronger than an equivalent strand of steel.

Importantly, it is also possible to combine tungsten disulfide nanotubes with other substances in order to expand the range of capabilities. For instance, mixing IF with highly elastic materials can lead to new compounds which are both flexible and shock-absorbing. These properties position tungsten-disulfide/synthetic aciniform spider silk materials as one of the best candidates for contemporary military-grade protective equipment and armour.

Manufacturing processes;
“Dauntless” is not a single grade of armour or homogenous material. Rather, it is an adaptable system designed to meet the diverse protection and mobility needs of combat soldiers. Capacity for adding additional protection is very much present within the system, allowing the individual end-user or subunit to determine the most combat effective configuration for any given circumstance.

In general terms, the armour is composed of two elements, the hard and soft components. The base level of the armour is the soft components, designed not to stop a round at any given point, but to disperse the impact over as broad an area as possible. The material used for this purpose is anciniform silk from spiders of the Nephila genus, specifically Nephila Maticulata, the Giant Wood Spider. It is worth noting, at this point, that anciniform silk is considerably stronger than that used for spinning webs, and is used primarily for securing prey once captured.

Farming spiders has been attempted, in the past, but with extremely limited success, and at very high labour cost. Spiders are predatory and unabashedly cannibalistic. Initial forays into attempts to generate spider silk through other means have been many and varied, with the first attempts (from Nexia biotechnologies) being by way of genetically modifying goats, in order to secrete the correct proteins in their milk, which would then be brought together in the appropriate fibrous form for weaving into ultra-high strength silk.

The method, while successful in principle, did have a number of flaws. Chief amongst them was the very large number of goats required to produce industrially feasible quantities of the genetically modified proteins. Specifically, it would take 200 goats to make a single vest in a day... an impractical solution for a state such as Lyras, where every single man, woman and child of a population greater than 5 billion would require body armour.

Subsequent attempts to gene-splice the required sequences into silkworms was, however, a resounding success, with the process moving beyond the ADF-3 and ADF-4 proteins that constitute the required spider silk, and into organic production of the silk itself.
Silkworms extruding spider silk, enlarged.
(Image)

At a stroke the vast majority of extant problems of farming industrial or commercial quantities of spider silk were solved, and the material became feasible. Rates of production for the substance continue to increase, as the Protectorate both seeks to armour its own populace, and concurrently attempts to generate inventory for distribution through export.

Once spun, the silk is woven into protective clothing in the same manner as clothing anywhere. The fibres mesh well, and fibrous internal friction is low while elasticity and tensile strength both remain very high, allowing for exceptionally good multi-shot resistance, particularly so when compared to other soft armours. The fibres, unusually, become proportionally stronger as they get thinner, and research and implementation quickly established what spiders established millions of years ago, that weaving 100 thin fibres into a silken strand is almost 60% stronger than an equivalent width single strand, while utilising (approximately) only 80% of the material mass. Also, critically, spider silk has a biphasic modulus – when initially subjected to force it is very stiff, like Kevlar, but just before the yield point it becomes very elastic, like Nylon. It also undergoes hysteresis, so if released from tension it comes back into shape. Upon the completion of the armour or garment, various coatings are applied in the conventional sense, such as anti-UV protective coatings and Xylane waterproofing.

Spider silk is also, when compared to alternative ballistic-grade fibres, extremely comfortable, being smooth, lightweight and breathable. When the properties are simultaneously taken into account, some of the potential of the substance becomes readily apparent.

The second element of the armour's protection are its 'hard' components, the sections designed to outright stop incoming projectiles. Where previously this required the existence and implementation of extremely bulky ceramic plates (or similar), “Dauntless” has implemented the first widescale application of inorganic fullerenes in the form of tungsten disulfide (WS2) within ballistic armours.

In contrast to organic (carbon-based) Fullerenes, WS2 is easier and much less expensive to produce, is chemically stable and is dramatically less reactive and less flammable. Organic fullerenes are also considered to be highly toxic, whereas WS2, like most other inorganic fullerenes, is not. As WS2 forms, it does so in layers, much like graphite, which is - along with diamond - one of two common forms carbon takes in nature. In WS2, molecules are bonded in trigonal prismatic layers, similar to MoS2. These form flat layers that are stacked on top of one another like sheets of paper.
When making nanotubes, the process, in essence, takes individual layers and folds them over so they join at either edge to form cylinders. Illustration is provided below.

(Image)

In an interview recorded in late 2005, Dr. Menachem Genut, ApNano CEO, explained that the company was moving into semi-industrial manufacturing within the next six months producing between 100-200 kilograms of the material per day, gradually moving to full-scale industrial production by 2007, which lead to the production of several tons each day. Although it was difficult to determine the exact price of the "nano-armor" when in full industrial production, given the cost of the original materials and the relatively low production costs, Dr. Genut stated (in 2005) that a kilogram of the new material will cost considerably less than a similar amount of the carbon-based Fullerenes. As at the time of interview, the company was optimistic that with some external financial backing it will be possible to have the first product ready in less then three years.

The Lyran Protectorate was more than happy to provide such backing, which it did to the tune of NS$18 billion. That investment has reaped the requisite rewards, with multiple manufacturing complexes now devoted to production of the materials required for the production of “Dauntless”.

Signature reduction
“Dauntless” provides the highest level of signature reduction of any body armour released onto the market to date, borrowing as it does from the innovations introduced in the still-new Lyran Disruptive Pattern Camouflage Uniform (LDPCUs), which was itself designed with the ongoing development and anticipated completion of “Dauntless” in mind.

To that end, infra-red suppression, carried out in parallel to that provided by the LDPCUs, was determined to be of paramount importance. As hinted in an interview with then-Major McReedy, who was the assistant project manager and military technical advisor to the LDPCU program, the Protectorate Research and Development Commission was examining means of transferring the IR-suppressive techniques over to other applications.

The final decision was, in retrospect, painfully simple. All body armour, after manufacture, is provided with a fabric covering layer, coloured in a pattern appropriate to the intended area of use. For “Dauntless”, the Research and Development Commission took this idea further, providing for the fitting of one of any number of after-manufacture camouflage covers, to be applied over the armour. These fabric covers utilise the same multi-spectral camouflage adaptations pioneered for use on the LDPCUs, and provides for dramatically reduced visibility when seen through 3rd or 4th generation night vision or thermal imaging equipment.

By means of illustration, the figure on the right is wearing the new IR-suppressed LDPCU uniform the other one is wearing the old-style ACU. While no photographs of personnel in “Dauntless” were available, the technology applied is identical. This photo was taken from a distance of 12 metres.

(Image)

LDPCU coverings to the “Dauntless” body armour are NOT to be starched, as starch can cause discolouration, and interferes with the IR-suppression properties. This will enhance the IR signature, making the uniform brighter when viewed with night vision goggles. Further, strong detergents may discolour the uniform, and again may react to neutralise the IR-suppression.
LDPCU fabric coverings are also not to be ironed, as the extensive heat application may damage the fibrous chemical treatment. If washing is required (as it will be, at some point), cold machine wash, and drip dry where possible.

Modularity
The Lyran Protectorate has, for some time, been issuing chest webbing as standard, featuring (as many other nations' chest webbing also features) velcro and plastic straps and clips so as to secure equipment to the person. The 'Dauntless' armour takes this a step further, with the armour itself able to accept the various equipment pouches and containers required by a combatant, with the armour insert pouches themselves able to double as containers, if not used to carry the additional armour.

Most internationally standard attachments should have no issue fitting to 'Dauntless', and if there are issues, custom fits can be arranged free of charge.

Protective qualities
Protective qualities of “Dauntless” are divided, again, into hard and soft armour for individual analysis, and a synopsis will be provided at the conclusion.

In mid-2005, research into WS2 was conducted at the University of Nottingham, England. A sample of the material was subjected to severe shocks, from a steel projectile moving at speeds of up to 1.5 km/second. The tungsten disulfide withstood the impacts of up to 250 tons per square centimeter. This is approximately equivalent to dropping four diesel locomotives onto an area the size of ones fingernail. During the test the material proved to be so strong that after the impact the samples remained essentially unchanged, when compared to the original material. Additionally, a recent study by Prof. J. M. Martin from Ecole Centrale de Lyon in France tested the new material under isostatic pressure and found it to be stable up to at least 350 tons/cm2

Tungsten disulfide is relatively heavy, however and for that reason the plates utilising WS2 are substantially thinner than their -carbide equivalents. Further, due to the purpose of the research being to lower the body armour weight, not increase it, the plates were made thinner to the point of being lighter than their predecessors. Given the greatly superior ballistic protection offered by WS2, however, the plates, despite being considerably thinner and lighter, offer dramatically improved protective performance. This is achieved by using WS2 backed by the lighter boron carbide. The impact resistance of the WS2 is utilised to blunten the impact of the projectile, and 'decap' inbound rounds, while the backing absorbs the remainder of the kinetic energy, and continues to distribute the energy while keeping weight low.

For the purposes of reference, the table below details the official body armour levels, as defined by the U.S. National Institute of Justice, Standard 0101.04.

Armor Level
Type I
(.22 LR; .380 ACP)
This armor protects against 22 calibre Long Rifle Lead Round Nose (LR LRN) bullets, with nominal masses of 2.6 g (40 gr) at a reference velocity of 329 m/s (1080 ft/s ± 30 ft/s) and .380 ACP Full Metal Jacketed Round Nose (FMJ RN) bullets, with nominal masses of 6.2 g (95 gr) at a reference velocity of 322 m/s (1055 ft/s ± 30 ft/s)

Type IIA
(9 mm; .40 S&W)
This armor protects against 9 mm Full Metal Jacketed Round Nose (FMJ RN) bullets, with nominal masses of 8.0 g (124 gr) at a reference velocity of 341 m/s (1120 ft/s ± 30 ft/s) and .40 S&W calibre Full Metal Jacketed (FMJ) bullets, with nominal masses of 11.7 g (180 gr) at a reference velocity of 322 m/s (1055 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). It also provides protection against the threats mentioned in [Type I].

Type II
(9 mm; .357 Magnum)
This armor protects against 9 mm Full Metal Jacketed Round Nose (FMJ RN) bullets, with nominal masses of 8.0 g (124 gr) at a reference velocity of 367 m/s (1205 ft/s ± 30 ft/s) and 357 Magnum Jacketed Soft Point (JSP) bullets, with nominal masses of 10.2 g (158 gr) at a reference velocity of 436 m/s (1430 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). It also provides protection against the threats mentioned in [Types I and IIA].

Type IIIA
(High Velocity 9 mm; .44 Magnum)
This armor protects against 9 mm Full Metal Jacketed Round Nose (FMJ RN) bullets, with nominal masses of 8.0 g (124 gr) at a reference velocity of 436 m/s (1430 ft/s ± 30 ft/s) and .44 Magnum Semi Jacketed Hollow Point (SJHP) bullets, with nominal masses of 15.6 g (240 gr) at a reference velocity of 436 m/s (1430 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). It also provides protection against most handgun threats, as well as the threats mentioned in [Types I, IIA, and II].

Type III
(Rifles)
This armor protects against 7.62 mm Full Metal Jacketed (FMJ) bullets (U.S. Military designation M80), with nominal masses of 9.6 g (148 gr) at a reference velocity of 847 m/s (2780 ft/s ± 30 ft/s) or less. It also provides protection against the threats mentioned in [Types I, IIA, II, and IIIA].

Type IV
(Armour Piercing Rifle)
This armor protects against .30 calibre armour piercing (AP) bullets (U.S. Military designation M2 AP), with nominal masses of 10.8 g (166 gr) at a reference velocity of 878 m/s (2880 ft/s ± 30 ft/s). It also provides at least single hit protection against the threats mentioned in [Types I, IIA, II, IIIA, and III].

There are, at present, three general classes of protection offered. The first is the spider-silk only torso and leggings, known as 'Arachne' for ease of differentiation, and rated to level IIIA. This armour is designed specifically to be very comfortably and uninhibiting in movement or weight, and fits easily under clothing, or under the second type of armour. 'Arachne' is breathable, lightweight, and available for purchase by any supernational, national, paranational or private entity. 'Arachne' weighs in at 2.3kg, although is less than a third the bulk of an equivalent weight of kevlar.

The second and third classes of protection under the 'Dauntless' armour share the primary component, that being the ballistic vest itself. Made from a soft armour base composed of the same material as the 'Arachne', the 'Dauntless' system itself is thicker, with more layers of the same substance, and features a number of zip-closed, velcro-covered pockets into which are inserted the WS2/boron-carbide composite plates. The degree of protection delivered is modular... the more protection required, the more plates can be inserted. With the addition of the composite plates, the armour is rated at level IV+, the plus being indicative of the fact that the official chart only goes up that far. The system has been tested as providing at least single hit protection against 12.7 x 99mm fire at ranges outside 150m. Expect a whopping great bruise, however, and to be knocked clean off your feet and possibly backwards a couple of metres. Use of a helmet is advised to avoid secondary damage.
The 'Dauntless' vest weighs 6.1kg on its own, and, when all inserts are added, weighs 15.5kg.

Pushing up to the third level is achieved by means off combining both layers, with the 'Arachne' worn underneath the 'Dauntless' vest. The level of protection offered by this multi-layered approach is, as would be expected, fairly high. Total weight would thereby reach 17.7kg, and is not recommended for long distance dismounted operations.

Available in conjunction are upper arm and upper leg protection, with the upper arms rated at III, and legs rated at IV.

Export
'Dauntless' and its 'Arachne' sub-set together represent a significant move forward in contemporary armour technology. It provides dismounted infantry with flexible high-grade protection for the modern battlespace. It is, however, not cheap, as reflects the nature of the product. Also, it is proprietary technology, and Lyran Arms DOES NOT offer DPRs to non-allied states.

Examples of the armour are available at the following cost;
'Arachne' vest; NS$4,900
'Dauntless' vest; NS$6,200
WS2/Boron carbide inserts; NS$7,400

'Dauntless' and inserts; NS$13,200
'Arachne' + 'Dauntless' + inserts; NS$18,000

Special considerations are available, as per Executive Command decision, to TPF, Asgarnieu, the Federal Republic of Hamilay, Verenberg, Errikland, Bomble, Varessa, Mokastana, the Revolutionary Commonwealth of Wagdog, Lamoni, Dictatorial Republic of Sumer, and select other nations.

Purchases are made through Lyran Arms.

UPDATE, 24 AUG 2008
In accordance with Executive Command sanctioned analysis and directives, 'Dauntless' Ballistic Armour, and its derivatives, is NOT AVAILABLE to states not in strategic partnership with the Lyran Protectorate, in one form or another. Lyran Arms, as a subsidiary unit to the Governmental Trade Department, is contactable for questions, and reserves the right to refer to Executive Command in the case of dispute. Pre-existing purchases are recognised, and customer support will continue, despite export restrictions.

References

Online sources only listed... hard copy source list available on request.

Super-strong body armour; nanotubes and their production
http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7038686.stm

Protecting the soldiers of tomorrow (published February 15, 2006)
http://www.isracast.com/article.aspx?id=28

Synthetic spider silk
http://www.azom.com/details.asp?ArticleID=1543

National Geographic, 2005; Transgenic goats and Biosteel
http://news.nationalgeographic.com/news ... der_2.html
Wikipedia – Body Armour
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Body_armor

Wikipedia - Tungsten Disulfide (How could one not?)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tungsten_disulfide

Wikipedia – Spider silk (Again, how could one not?)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spider_silk

Advances in ballistic armour research:
http://illumin.usc.edu/article.php?articleID=156&page=4

MOAA, 2003 on connections between US Army Materiel Command and Nexia
http://www.moaa.org/magazine/January...erwarriors.asp

Nephila Maculata – Webs of Steel; the Giant Wood Spider
http://www.naturia.per.sg/buloh/inverts/nephila.htm

Synthesis of spidersilk from transgenic goats – a periodical;
http://www.gene.ch/genet/2004/Jan/msg00026.html

Basic Ballistics, Anthony Williams © 2008.
http://www.quarry.nildram.co.uk/ballistics.htm

Digital Dutch Unit Converter
http://www.digitaldutch.com/unitconverter/energy.htm

Yanitarian BDUs
http://z4.invisionfree.invalid.com/NSDraftroom/ ... topic=1531

Finding Inspiration in Spider Silk Fibres
http://www.tms.org/pubs/journals/JOM...ices-0502.html

Congratulations, you continue to remind me how young and new I am to this. Also how dedicated you are.
Fact Book.
Helpful hints on combat vehicle terminology.

Imperializt Russia wrote:Support biblical marriage! One SoH and as many wives and sex slaves as he can afford!

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:34 pm

I wqs just thinking, Lyras, that I have some vague memory of someone on NSD saying that you'd figured out how the G11 LMG's mag worked and had incorporated a modified version into the LY21. Am I remembering things right?

Hellraiser-Army wrote:and clearly I am surrounded by idiots who never looked at a blueprint before...

Kaukolastan
Chargé d'Affaires

Founded: Antiquity
Ex-Nation

Postby Kaukolastan » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:41 pm

Aqizithiuda wrote:I wqs just thinking, Lyras, that I have some vague memory of someone on NSD saying that you'd figured out how the G11 LMG's mag worked and had incorporated a modified version into the LY21. Am I remembering things right?

Like this.
The Kessler Initiative [Intergovernmental Organization; Open for Participation]
N. Enartio, Justifying his Nuclear Powered, "EMP Laser" Shooting, Nazi Flying Saucer wrote:It isn't bad, i used science.

Lyras
Ambassador

Iron Fist Consumerists

Postby Lyras » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:44 pm

That was, indeed, how the LMG11 mag worked. I just super-simplified the pathing of the magazines, for the triple-single stack 60rnd magazine. Uses a bolt-catch at the bottom of each separate well within the magazine to rotate the primary bolt face, which then catches the next round, from the second well, and thence the third. That's the short version, anyway.

And Spirit of Hope, thank you. 'tis appreciated.

Yikes. Just... Yikes.

Aqizithiuda
Postmaster-General

Ex-Nation

Postby Aqizithiuda » Wed Apr 03, 2013 10:49 pm

Kaukolastan wrote:
Aqizithiuda wrote:I wqs just thinking, Lyras, that I have some vague memory of someone on NSD saying that you'd figured out how the G11 LMG's mag worked and had incorporated a modified version into the LY21. Am I remembering things right?

Like this.

And how did it do that without mag springs? ;)

Lyras wrote:That was, indeed, how the LMG11 mag worked. I just super-simplified the pathing of the magazines, for the triple-single stack 60rnd magazine. Uses a bolt-catch at the bottom of each separate well within the magazine to rotate the primary bolt face, which then catches the next round, from the second well, and thence the third. That's the short version, anyway.

And Spirit of Hope, thank you. 'tis appreciated.

Ah, thanks for that.

So it's sort of a G11 Springfield SPIW hybrid, then?

PreviousNext

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information