NATION

PASSWORD

Corcaigh Nua Herald - Maltropian News Source

A place to put national factbooks, embassy exchanges, and other information regarding the nations of the world. [In character]
Maltropia
Negotiator

Founded: Dec 19, 2009
Left-wing Utopia

Corcaigh Nua Herald - Maltropian News Source

Postby Maltropia » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:27 pm

Latest News

Archive Directory

© 2015 cnherald.mtr | Privacy policy | Contact us | Terms & Conditions
Last edited by Maltropia on Wed Nov 30, 2016 5:22 pm, edited 11 times in total.
Ɛ> Maltropia + Tiami 4ever <3
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|
Call me Mal(t). Reduce risk of carpal tunnel syndrome!
GE&T:Maritime Imperial Shipwrights | T-O Cartographic
II:Amistad, EATC signatory | PRV founder | CFDS, FIR, ECU member
F&NI:IIwiki | Factbook | Embassy program
WA:Represented by Ambassador Seán Lemass

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:33 pm

Saturday, February 11th, 2012 AD

Anderosian Ambassador Assassinated!

6 A.M., following reports of gunshots in the mission district of Corcaigh Nua, Gardaí discovered the body of the Anderosian Ambassador in his house. He was found, with three bullets in his body, lying face down on the floor of the Anderosian embassy. A security guard at the gate was also found, suffering from massive bleeding caused by a bullet near his heart. He remains in the city's general hospital, where his condition is critical. No more information had been released at the time of printing.

Gardaí have shut down the entire area within a wide radius of the embassy and members of the Military have been called in to assist in a total lockdown. The King's office has apologised for the incident, and extended its condolences to the Anderosian people, whose government has yet to issue any formal response.

No definitive reason for the assassination has yet been put forward, but, as Presidential elections are currently underway in Anderios, it has been suggested that killing the Ambassador would be intended to sour relations with the Royal Kingdom of Maltropia leading up to the inauguration. Other theories include implicating the government of the Kingdom of Peace, which has seen a decline in its relations with Anderios. None have yet been confirmed, but we assure you we will continue to provide up-to-date information as it becomes available.
[17:46] <bc> MY ENTHUSIASM EFFECTS MY SPELLING || [19:25] <minn> srsly is maltropia the only one with a brain here :|

I used to be a Roleplay Mentor and still love to help people. Find me on Discord and I'll help if I can.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:37 pm

Monday, February 13th, 2012 AD

Bigfootians Suspected of Embassy Murder

The Herald has acquired new evidence strongly linking the government of Northern Bigfootia to the recent murder of the Anderosian ambassador to Maltropia. This revelation puts to rest accusations of Peacian or Hegemonic involvement, and incontrovertibly proves that one of the nation's "closest allies" is in fact attempting to destroy it.

Under a shelf in the Ambassador's office, items (of a nature not disclosed by Gardaí) were found with "very clear links to a Bigfootian state agency," in the words of Garda commissioner John Costello. Apparently, letters were also discovered which may implicate the Ambassador in a plot against the Maltropian government, though our sources have not yet been verified.

There have been calls for the monarchy to pursue justice for this heinous crime, some demanding no less than war. While the Herald does not believe war is the answer, we agree that a very harsh line should be taken against the Bigfootian government for this travesty. No information was forthcoming from the King's Office today, but we assure you we will be the first to deliver any new developments.

Rebels based in the Maltropian Islands have also claimed responsibility for the attack, though this possibility was ruled out by investigators when the claims were traced to a radio in a shed in the outskirts of Argensborough. The rebels were arrested on unrelated charges.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:41 pm

Wednesday, February 15th, 2012 AD

Bigfootian Flagship Sunk

The flagship of the Bigfootian Northern Battle Fleet was sunk early this morning while it lay docked in Northwind Harbour. Reports indicate that as many as 30 men may have died as a result of the attack. The HLS Phoenix was reportedly sabotaged by a pair of explosive devices attached to its hull, transported in a submarine vehicle of Maltropian origin. The monarchy has denied any connection whatsoever with the incident. King Brendan, in a public address shortly after the report of the sabotage, said, "[we] have no connection whatsoever with this horrible tragedy [...] the Maltropian people extend their sincerest condolences to those Bigfootian families who have lost members to this blatant act of sabotage. We are working closely with the Hanseatic government at this time to ascertain the origin and nature of this crime. We cannot rule out that it is in some way connected to the murder of the Anderosian ambassador."

Several current theories suggest a terrorist cell operating in either Maltropia or Northern Bigfootia may be attempting to sour diplomatic relations between Paradoxia's eminent naval powers. Possible bases for this cell have been suggested as Ishgar or New Freedomstan, while some experts have argued that Machtergreifung would have equal reason to attempt such an act. While the origin of the attack remains in question, it has clearly had the effect of estranging Maltropia and the Hanseatic League. There have been continued calls for retribution in the aftermath of this escalating crisis, to which the King's Office has refused to pay any attention. Maltropian ambassadors are expected to meet with senior Bigfootian officials in the next few hours to discuss these events.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Fri Feb 15, 2013 5:42 pm

Tuesday, September 11th, 2012 AD

Droghanree Renaming Vote Passed

Today saw a landmark historic decision made in the city of Droghanree, where citizens of the capital of the Deasóir voted overwhelmingly in favour of renaming the city "Kingsbridge". This comes as the culmination of a years-long campaign process by local councillors begun after a mistake in signage saw road-signs region-wide refer to the city as "Droch an Rí"; poor grammar aside, "King's Bad" was a far cry from the actual English transliteration, "King's Bridge."

City Councillor, Tony Ó Flathairte, expressed his delight at seeing the referendum passed. "It's been a great success for the Council. We've had constant questions - by local people - about when we'd sort out the name discrepancy, and that gave us the momentum needed to do get this done. Everyone in the city wanted this for a long time. That's how it passed."

The referendum was passed by a majority of 79.2% of the voter turnout, with 20.6% voting nay and .2% returning spoilt votes. Overall turnout at polling stations was 74% of the city's population, the highest in the last 6 referenda in the city.

Interestingly, the city was not originally known as "Droichead an Rí", the current Irish version of the name. The location was cited on ancient Espian maps as "Drocanis Istri", or "Bad Bridge" or "Bad Ford", due to it being at a particularly fast and deep part of the river and surrounded by bogs. More recently, possibly as late as the 1700s, the river altered its course sufficiently to drain the marshes and make the city suitable for colonisation. In 1821 the region was officially incorporated into the Kingdom as Droichead an Rí, a name it retained until today.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Thu Mar 14, 2013 3:20 pm

Monday, February 18th, 2013 AD

Royal Navy joins Akimonad on Manoeuvres

A squadron of light cruisers en route to Tyrrhenia.

At a press release held at the navy's extraregional headquarters on Seafort Island this afternoon, Admiral Caoimhín O' Rourke of the 1st Royal Fleet announced that the Royal Navy had agreed to participate in joint exercises with the Akimonadi Navy in the region of Tyrrhenia. The intent of these exercises is to "strengthen the ties between Akimonad and Maltropia, and to familiarise ourselves with their own distinctive naval styles and traditions," according to O' Rourke. The statement comes in the wake of the country joining the Commonwealth of Free and Democratic States, an alliance headed by Akimonad, which made the two formal allies, and as a separate alliance is being drafted by the Ministry of Foreign Affairs and its Akimonadi counterpart.

According to the statement, the Maltropian contribution to the manoeuvres would be under Admiral Alan MacPiarais of the 6th Royal Fleet, consisting of 132 vessels and 2 aircraft carriers. The Herald's reporter asked if this wasn't an unnecessarily large number of ships to send, to which O' Rourke replied, "We want as many of our captains as possible to familiarise themselves with Akimonadi methodology. As a member of the CFDS, we expect to be working closely with them in future, and they have expertise in international naval warfare that we don't." The reply was a rare admission from the Royal Navy, which is considered the finest in Paradoxia, though it shows the willingness to improve after last year's naval mutiny.

At a similar meeting in Akimonad's Fitzrovia naval base, Chairman of the Joint Chiefs of Staff Fleet Admiral Stephen Lutvik said that the day "marks the beginning of a new era in the relationship between the Royal Kingdom and the Republic and Commonwealth," and also stated that the joint exercise "will help both of our nations learn how to collectively respond to the dynamic threats present in this harsh world." (quote courtesy of Radio Free Haven).

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:12 pm

Friday, March 15th, 2013 AD

Royal Navy leases Akimonadi Bases

The Royal Navy announced today it had agreed to lease a number of bases from new ally Akimonad. The bases, the locations of which have not been disclosed but are believed to number at least four, are widely distributed throughout Akimonad's territories. According to Minister Proinsias Ó Manacháin, the bases are intended to, "provide the Navy with a greater range." Previous assignments have been limited by the locations of the Royal Kingdom's naval bases, the vast majority of which are within Paradoxia. Minister Ó Manacháin stated that the primary intent of the leases is "to allow rapid response to crises as they arise and to permit us to intervene quickly when needed."

While the amount paid for the lease has not been revealed, sources say the contract will last for 10 years, at which point it will come up for renewal. As a member of the CFDS, Maltropia does not technically need to possess its own bases in Akimonad, being permitted to make use of the Republic and Commonwealth's own facilities, but according to Ó Manacháin "We have no desire to interfere with the workings of Akimonad's own navy... it would be a logistical nightmare for them to have to move out their own fleets when we need to station ours there." Several fleets have already been mobilised to their new stations.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:12 pm

Sunday, February 17th, 2013 AD

Maltropia joins Commonwealth of Free and Democratic States

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs today announced that the Royal Kingdom had accepted an invitation from the Commonwealth of Free and Democratic States to join as a full member of the organisation, one which aims to promote democracy and stability. With the country having previously only applied for observer status, the offer of membership reportedly came as a surprise to the Councils of Nobles, both of which convened for an emergency meeting early this morning. While the official results of the vote have not yet been released, the Herald was told by the Earl of Tallaght, Desmond Ó Calthán, that there was a clear majority in favour of accepting, in the Council at Corcaigh Nua.

The country's membership comes as diplomatic relations are being solidified with Akimonad, Founder and Chancellor of the CFDS, a nation which shares many principles with Maltropia, and in the wake of Tallaght Allied Petroleum joining Coalition Oil, a consortium of petrochemical firms headed by an Akimonadi company. Being affiliated with Akimonad and the CFDS is expected to bring many economic benefits to the nation, as well as giving Maltropia greater influence on the international stage. This increased focus on international relations, rather than ties to nations within Paradoxia, is a central tenet of the monarchy's new policies outlined in the wake of the INPC.

While some have commented that committing to additional international relations could endanger the new non-interventionist ideology of the government, others have replied that the principal focus is on trade and that membership in the CFDS would provide Maltropia with access to several major markets worldwide while reducing barriers between them. The CFDS' own zero-tariff policy would seem to lend credibility to this claim. However, opponents to the move maintain that the organisation is a primarily military organisation, citing the fact that the military articles come first in its constitution and referring to past actions of the CFDS. The Herald, as a neutral media outlet, does not favour either of these arguments, but we do not doubt that membership in the CFDS will certainly lead Maltropia into hitherto-unexplored scenarios.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:13 pm

Tuesday, February 12th, 2013 AD

Stiltonia Invades Woodside
Claims "Accident"

The city of Woodside, one of the largest cities in the Colitas peninsula, was left in ruins today after a fifteen-hour bombardment by Stiltonian and Sillanpaasian forces. The death toll in the city is estimated at as high as seventeen thousand, while the armies which fired on it suffered no casualties. Stiltonia, which had pledged to assist Colitas reclaim its former territories, deployed its artillery divisions to subdue Woodside, and on finding no opposition in the city they proceeded to fire continually until the entrance of Sillanpaasian troops alerted them to their mistake. The Stiltonian government has issued a formal apology for the event, and claims that the actions of Captain J. Shirnam of the 3rd Armoured Unit were not sanctioned by any official.

The fiasco comes as the latest addition to the ongoing Colitasian crisis, as Engle and Rithic deployments to the south of Paradoxia threaten a poorly-balanced diplomatic situation. The Royal Navy has announced it will be increasing its own deployment in the area, having formerly committed just four fleets to defend Maltropian interests around Stiltonian waters and the under-construction Colitas Canal. There is speculation that the increased Maltropian presence in the region is intended to end Stiltonian involvement in this crisis, and when our reporters asked members of the Ministry of War if this was the case they received no official denial. Experts are comparing the current relationship between Maltropia and Stiltonia to that between a father and errant child, though the King's Office has insisted that the action is "intended as a stabilising influence on a volatile situation".

Increased Maltropian involvement in Colitas is likely to endanger the new non-interventionist policies set in motion after the review of the Inquiry into the Northern Paradoxian Crisis in January. Officials have countered by saying that staying out of the ongoing crisis would endanger political stability in the region and be a violation of the Paradoxian Oath which is included in the Constitution of the Royal Kingdom. While this argument may not be entirely accurate, as the Coalition of Rithian has not pursued hostilities against mainland Paradoxia, the consensus among both Councils of Nobles seems to be that it is the preferred course of action.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:13 pm

Tuesday, January 22nd, 2013 AD

Maritime Imperial goes Global

Officials of Maritime Imperial, Maltropia's largest civilian shipbuilders, announced today that the firm would be commencing international export and would be opening shipyards abroad. The company, which is headquartered in Esrium and is one of the city's biggest employers, has denied that production will be relocated to take advantage of cheaper production costs. Company spokesman Eric Fitzmorris said in a statement that "Maritime Imperial will always be primarily a Maltropian firm." Production, he said, was being expanded, not relocated, and that new facilities would be to meet increased demand and not to replace existing shipyards.

At today's press release, plans to expand to several major trading partners of the Royal Kingdom were unveiled by Maritime Imperial, including plans to set up facilities at Mistpoint Colony. "We intend to stay at the forefront in shipbuilding innovation," said Fitzmorris, and when asked how expanding to Mistpoint would help research and development, he replied "That's a huge market out there. I'd be genuinely surprised if we didn't find something new that needs a ship for it." Maritime Imperial has long been considered a market leader in its industry, producing not just container ships and tankers but also oil rigs and icebreakers. The firm aims to enter the international market with a small range of products, but will be expanding its export catalogue over a period of months as it tests the waters.

Maritime Imperial is one of Esrium's largest single employers, and it and its supporting industries account for an estimated forty thousand jobs in the city. Nationally, as many as one hundred and thirty thousand jobs are provided by the firm and its associated industries, and this high level of employment is one of the firm's main selling points. Each foreign shipyard is predicted to provide and estimated total employment of between seven hundred and one thousand jobs. When asked by our reporter if Maritime Imperial had any specific locations in mind, Fitzmorris remarked, "Obviously we'd like to expand within Paradoxia, but we're also looking at nations such as Yohannes, Akimonad and Lamoni. And, of course, just about anyone else who comes knocking."

The globalisation of the firm marks the new government-initiated policy of directing the majority of foreign investment to the Deasóir and Aghabullogue County. The Ministry of Trade has recently announced its intention to focus heavy industries in the region after it was devastated in the Northern Paradoxia Crisis of last year. A growing international reputation for Maltropian shipbuilding has been put forward as a viable incentive for foreign business to set up in the region. This claim has been borne out, to some extent, by the establishment of a number of heavy industries headquartered in Ottoman Khaif and in Yohannes, and by Auroran power provider South Sounds Nuclear beginning work on a station in Torres. The expanding production of Maritime Imperial looks likely to increase the commercial influx into the region, and has good prospects for the future of the Deasóir.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sun Jun 09, 2013 12:14 pm

Sunday, June 9th, 2013 AD

Royal Navy assigns Craft to Lamoni

A squadron of light cruisers en route to Greater Dienstad.

Early this morning, thirty-four vessels of the Royal Navy departed from the navy's extraregional headquarters on Seafort Island, bound for the nation of Lamoni in Greater Dienstad. It is the understanding of the Herald that this deployment is intended to be stationed at, or near to, the shipbuilding facilities of Maltropian firm Maritime Imperial, which operates more than thirty shipyards and repair facilities throughout Lamoni, making it one of the firm's most important locations. Maritime Imperial's shipment policy requires that all deliveries be escorted by naval vessels of either Maltropian origin or of the nation of the purchaser. When asked by our reporter about the number of ships being assigned, Maritime Imperial's CEO Keith Mulcahy commented, "We build a lot of ships in Lamoni. If we want to maintain our high turnover from those facilities, we need to have regular deliveries. Each shipment is accompanied by at least two warships, so we need a permanent naval presence."

Some critics have expressed concern that the deployment of almost three dozen Royal Navy vessels to Greater Dienstad might not be inopportune at present, given that Akimonadi-Lamonian naval exercises taking place have brought about a series of demands, ultimatums and condemnations from other nations, most notably Castille de Italia, a Dienstadi nation and member of the Anti-Communist Alliance, an alliance which recently engaged in a so-called "War of Words" with Akimonad and its allies. A senior Royal Navy officer, who asked to remain anonymous, told our reporter, "Whether it is opportune or it isn't, we're doing it. We have every right to deploy ships to allied waters, but for those lemons who think this is going to blow out of proportion, we're going to escort tugboats, for the love of God. What are we going to do, tug their countries away?" The 'allied waters' to which the officer referred are, of course, those of Lamoni, which, as a member of the Commonwealth of Free and Democratic States, would permit, within reason, Maltropian deployments within its territorial waters.

Speculators have suggested that the Royal Navy's presence in Lamoni is intended as support for the nation should the current situation develop into a state of war. While this has been denied by official sources, it nonetheless remains true that it is the obligation of the Royal Kingdom to assist its allies in the CFDS in the event of a defensive war. In response to our questions about the current Greater Dienstadi situation, the King's secretary, James Doherty, told the Herald this afternoon, "We do sincerely hope the matter doesn't get out of hand. We have no interest in seeing a war develop in the region, and certainly we would condemn in the strongest sense possible any aggressor. However," he noted, "we will of course support our allies in the unlikely event that our assistance is needed."

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sat Sep 28, 2013 1:41 pm

Saturday, September 28th, 2013 AD

Maritime Imperial to acquire Oldport Engineering

It has been announced by leading Maltropian shipbuilding firm Maritime Imperial that negotiations with Oldport Engineering have concluded, with the latter to be fully acquired by the end of this month. Oldport, which for two hundred and sixty years had been a leading employer in the southwest, was to close down after its sixth consecutive unprofitable quarter. Fears that one of the most historic businesses of the region would cease operating were alleviated by statements issued following the negotiations, which had taken place behind closed doors.

"When we laid down our first keel, Oldport was already a major company, exporting all over northern Paradoxia," stated Maritime Imperial spokesman Eric Fitzmorris. "They were probably the biggest name in whaling, outside of Ishgar, and had a reputation for building the very best. That's what we do, too, and so we at Maritime Imperial are honoured to be able to save this historic firm."

Maritime Imperial has guaranteed that all staff at Oldport will remain in employment with them, stating that the transition will be almost unnoticeable. "Within Paradoxia," said Fitzmorris, "Oldport will remain Oldport. There's no point tampering with a brand that's so well established, as any businessman will tell you. Extraregionally, we'll take over export operations under our own trading names, since those are markets we've entered that Oldport never really could. It's my hope that being part of the Maritime Imperial family will raise Oldport to new heights of success."

Maritime Imperial hopes to have their first Oldport-brand product on the market within the next few days, releasing other vessels in accordance with their current schedules.

Maltropia
Negotiator

Left-wing Utopia

Postby Maltropia » Sat Jul 23, 2016 1:40 pm

Saturday, July 23rd, 2016

Crown to co-fund new optical fibre network

Minister for Telecommunications and Media Ailbe Ó Ruairc has announced today that the government will be joining major ISPs such as YewNet and ILM in laying down a new network of optical fibre across northwest and central Maltropia. The network will initially stretch down the coast east from Newmarsh and into An Sord, looping southward via Tyrmidra and linking the capital to Ivory, Lisdare and the major IT centres of Eochaill and Cloghroe.

The cost of the project, which is slated to begin in mid-August, has been estimated at some 22 billion ducats. Seven billion of the summer budget has been earmarked for the government's contribution, the single largest capital expenditure on this budget. The remaining two thirds of the bill will be footed by a number of private companies. Maintenance and upkeep will then pass to these companies, while a portion of the revenue will be funnelled into the treasury until the crown's initial outlay is recovered, in keeping with similar infrastructural projects such as the Port of Tallaght and parts of the national motorway network.

The project is the largest single government investment in the telecoms sector since 2007, when the Ó Raghallaigh ministry announced an omnibus stimulus package which developed the television, radio and internet networks across the mainland. It is expected to form the 'spine', or the inner loop, of a more comprehensive national network, with radial networks reaching into Carbery, Snowheight, Espin and Argalium. This inner loop will eventually be joined by an outer loop extending from Newmarsh along the western coast, arcing through Imleach Bregia and Snowheight into Espin and then northward, connecting the termini of the radial networks. This ambitious follow-up project has had its beginning tentatively slated for 2020, to be completed by 2025.

The first, only slightly more modest stage of this new campaign is expected to be completed by 2019. The main line of cable is estimated to extend almost 1800 kilometres, with almost as much - up to 1600 kilometres - in major off-branches, such as connections to Tallaght, Uisneach and Ahiglas. The project is expected to provide up to 1,200 jobs in the construction sector at any one time, as well as providing a major stimulus to the provincial economies throughout central Maltropia. Private sector ISPs have praised the development as a crucial step for Maltropian commerce of all types, furthering the country's status as one of the world's preeminent market economies.

Advertisement

Remove ads

Return to Factbooks and National Information